PDA

View Full Version : Must have 80s metal albums

bomarl1969
01-25-2005, 09:45 AM
Just came over from metal-sludge.com and I thought this would make for an interesting thread.

1. Motley Crue-Shout at the Devil and Girls, Girls, Girls
2. G N R-Appitite for Destruction
3. Megadeth-Any album from their 80s albums
4. Van Halen-II, Fair Warning, Women & Children First, 5150
5. Metallica-Kill em All, Ride the Lightening, Master of Puppets
6. Ozzy-Dairy of a Madman and the Ultimate Sin
7. AC/DC-Back in Black, Who Made Who
8. Tesla-The Great Radio Contraversy
9. Queensryche-Operation Mindcrime
10. Def Leppard-High n' Dry and Pyromania
11. Bon Jovi-Slippery When Wet
12. W.A.S.P.
13. Poison-Look What the Cat Dragged In
14. Whitesnake
15. Kiss-Creatures of the Night

zombie-a-go-go
01-25-2005, 10:31 AM
Umm... I own "And Justice For all." That's about it, though.

Bon Jovi is metal? I mean, I don't know much about the genre, but ... Bon Jovi? Really? I always thought he was kind of a sissy.

bomarl1969
01-25-2005, 11:31 AM
I always thought he was kind of a sissy.

No you're right, Bon Jovi is a sissy, but I still like his music. This was a tough decade for music. You really have to appreciate these artist as musicians and their music, not the spandex, hair spray, and makeup.

Steve4192
01-25-2005, 12:35 PM
1. Guns N' Roses: Appetite for Destruction (1987) - The quintessential '80s metal album, and the first death knell for all style no substance 'hair bands'. Nirvana would finish the job with the 1991 release of Nevermind.

2. Metallica: Master of Puppets (1986) - The most prolific metal band of all time at their peak. Takes a backseat in terms of sales to their self-titled 1991 release, but make no mistake about it, THIS is their masterpiece.

3. AC/DC: Back in Black (1980) - This tribute to deceased singer Bon Scott launches the Brian Johnson era for the bad boys from down under.

4. Ozzy Osbourne: Blizzard of Oz (1980) - The legend hits a homerun with his first solo effort.

5. Motorhead: Ace of Spades (1980) - The best album released in the '80s by the fastest band in the land.

6. Iron Maiden: Number of the Beast (1982) - The 'maiden' voyage for new singer Bruce Dickenson launches the band into the stratosphere.

7. Megadeth: Peace Sells ... But Who is Buying? (1986) - Far superior to the bands first effort, 'Peace' does indeed sell.

8. Metallica: Kill 'em All (1983) - The first and only Metallica album featuring the original lineup with Dave Mustaine.

9. Black Sabbath: Heaven & Hell (1980) - The forefathers of modern metal find a capable replacement for Ozzy in former Elf/Rainbow lead singer Ronnie James Dio. By far the best album of the post-Ozzie era.

10. Motley Crue: Shout at the Devil (1983) - Much as I hate 'hair metal', this album is important because it brought metal into the mainstream.

Some of the bands on the original list are fantastic, but I don't consider 'em 'metal' bands (Van Halen). Some of the bands just sucked balls (all the LA hair metal bands). I really wanted to get some Judas Priest on the list, but all of their best work was done in the 70s.

Johnny Footstool
01-25-2005, 12:37 PM
Creatures of the Night???!!!???

macro
01-25-2005, 01:11 PM
8. Tesla-The Great Radio Contraversy

One of the last great albums of that era, along with the Use Your Illusion set by GnR, right before Seattle took over. This one was released in early '89 but much of its success spilled over into 1990. The most unfortunate thing about Tesla is that they get wrongly lumped into the 80s hair metal genre, when they shouldn't be.

bomarl, do you have their latest CD "Into the Now"? Not bad...not bad at all. If this CD had come out in 1988, it would have been a huge seller. As it is, I assume it got overlooked by most.

gilpdawg
01-25-2005, 01:28 PM
"Into the Now" rocks.
Operation:Mindcrime should be higher on that list.

bomarl1969
01-25-2005, 01:34 PM
"Into the Now" rocks.
Operation:Mindcrime should be higher on that list.

They were in no particular order. Into the now does rock. Many bands that came out in the late 80s early 90s did not deserve to be classified as an 80s hair band or a 90s grunge band. i.e. Tesla, Queensryche, Alice in Chains, Type O Negative.

Loved Steve4192's list.

dman
01-25-2005, 05:59 PM
Skid Row - Slave To The Grind; The first time ever that a metal album debuted at #1 on Billboards top 100.

Tesla - I like Psychotic Supper better than the Great Radio Controversy

Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime

GnR - Appetite For Destruction

Falls City Beer
01-25-2005, 06:42 PM
Come on, how could you forget 'Rella?

Ya don't know whatcha gaaat till it's goooone!!!

TC81190
01-25-2005, 07:03 PM
Must have 80s metal albums

Oxymoron.

jmcclain19
01-25-2005, 07:10 PM
strange.

I opened this thread and expected to see blank space.

Hmph.

BoydsOfSummer
01-25-2005, 07:19 PM
Any Metal list without one Maiden album is hooey. Number of the Beast and Piece of Mind at the very least.

pedro
01-25-2005, 07:46 PM
Judas Priest - British Steel

Mutaman
01-25-2005, 08:12 PM
Can we call this "Records that suck"? Thank God Nirvana blew most of these bands into retirement.

BoydsOfSummer
01-25-2005, 08:29 PM
Thank God that shotgun blast blew Nirvana into retirement. It let the other two form a real band in the Goo-Goo's. God I hate Nirvana. I guess we differ on this,eh?

Mutaman
01-25-2005, 08:41 PM
Thank God that shotgun blast blew Nirvana into retirement. It let the other two form a real band in the Goo-Goo's. God I hate Nirvana. I guess we differ on this,eh?

Good play on words. Not good taste in music.

westofyou
01-25-2005, 08:49 PM

The Goo Goo Dolls?

Ya mean Grohl became the Foo Fighters and Chris Novoselic has side projects that are not remotely goo goo dolls like in any way.

That said the guy shot himself, hardly a moment to celebrate.

dman
01-25-2005, 09:51 PM
Can we call this "Records that suck"? Thank God Nirvana blew most of these bands into retirement.
Nirvana and most of the other Seattle groups, except for Queensryche, could never seem to get past the same 3 or 4 chords in every single song. Talking about records tha suck, I think Nirvana would take the top spaces in that category. At least the 80's groups had some technical skill to their playing. Put Kurt Cobain up against Steve Vai or George Lynch and those guys will out do him seven ways to Sunday.

pedro
01-25-2005, 10:17 PM
must.... have ..... 80's ....... metal....... albums.

http://www.trekweb.de/einleitung/tos/kirk.jpg

Phoenix
01-25-2005, 10:26 PM
Lots of great one's mentioned...but I have to add another-

Rush. Moving Pictures.
Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Vital Signs, Red Barchetta...

CbusRed
01-25-2005, 10:26 PM
Nirvana and most of the other Seattle groups, except for Queensryche, could never seem to get past the same 3 or 4 chords in every single song. Talking about records tha suck, I think Nirvana would take the top spaces in that category. At least the 80's groups had some technical skill to their playing. Put Kurt Cobain up against Steve Vai or George Lynch and those guys will out do him seven ways to Sunday.

You have obviously never listened to Pearl jam, or Soundgarden....

Take a listen to No Code, Vitalogy, Yield , or Down on the Upside sometime.

CbusRed
01-25-2005, 10:28 PM
Lots of great one's mentioned...but I have to add another-

Rush. Moving Pictures.
Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Vital Signs, Red Barchetta...

I now consider you a good friend. :thumbup:

CbusRed
01-25-2005, 10:30 PM

This statement has left me speechless. :(

TRF
01-25-2005, 10:37 PM
Rush was metal?

Rush!?!!

bwahahahaha.

Admittedly, i detest the genre, but that's like giving a band like Jethro Tull the grammy for best metal band. Which of course could never happen.

BoydsOfSummer
01-25-2005, 10:40 PM
This statement has left me speechless. :(

Oh c'mon. It's not like I took some joy in the dude killing himself. The demise of Nirvana didn't hurt my feelings any. Sorry I hurt yours.

CbusRed
01-25-2005, 10:48 PM
Oh c'mon. It's not like I took some joy in the dude killing himself. The demise of Nirvana didn't hurt my feelings any. Sorry I hurt yours.

Its not even that really... Its the fact that you are very uninformed on the further careers of the remaining members of Nirvana.

Dave Grohl formed the foo fighters, one of the premier rock bands of the current time, as well as doing drumming on a Queens of the Stone Age album, and other various side projects such as Probot. Not to mention, the first two Foo Fighters albums were recorded entirely by Grohl... Drums, Guitars, vocals, everything. I find that to be very impressive.

Chris Novacelik has done some under-recognized side projects, and from what I hear, is a huge advocate in the Music Education scene in the Pacific Northwest.

None of them had the slightest bit to do with the Goo Goo Dolls.

Steve4192
01-25-2005, 10:50 PM
Nirvana and most of the other Seattle groups, except for Queensryche, could never seem to get past the same 3 or 4 chords in every single song.
It sure worked out pretty well for Angus Young and AC/DC.

Put Kurt Cobain up against Steve Vai or George Lynch and those guys will out do him seven ways to Sunday.
If we were just talking about technical skill, we'd be talking about Hendrix, Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughn or Al Dimeola.

BoydsOfSummer
01-26-2005, 12:49 AM
Its not even that really... Its the fact that you are very uninformed on the further careers of the remaining members of Nirvana.

Dave Grohl formed the foo fighters, one of the premier rock bands of the current time, as well as doing drumming on a Queens of the Stone Age album, and other various side projects such as Probot. Not to mention, the first two Foo Fighters albums were recorded entirely by Grohl... Drums, Guitars, vocals, everything. I find that to be very impressive.

Chris Novacelik has done some under-recognized side projects, and from what I hear, is a huge advocate in the Music Education scene in the Pacific Northwest.

None of them had the slightest bit to do with the Goo Goo Dolls.

I was thinking Foo and typed Goo. Don't care for the goo-goo's either. My apologies for the misunderstanding. Reset.

pedro
01-26-2005, 01:15 AM
I love the Goo Fighters.

CbusRed
01-26-2005, 01:38 AM
I was thinking Foo and typed Goo. Don't care for the goo-goo's either. My apologies for the misunderstanding. Reset.

Keep digging...

bomarl1969
01-26-2005, 09:24 AM
I'm not glad someone killed themselves but yes I'm glad Nirvana is no more. With the exception of Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, and Queensryche those Seattle bands blow goats IMO.

bomarl1969
01-26-2005, 09:25 AM
Can't believe I left out Rush and Skid Row. Thanks to the others that were sure to post them! I believe that Bach and Neal Peart are two of the greatest musicians in the 80s.

Steve4192
01-26-2005, 09:43 AM
Can't believe I left out Rush
I love Rush, but I would not call them a 'metal' band.

TRF
01-26-2005, 10:18 AM
poison = toilet lyrics.

example, I'm taking a crap, and i notice a crayon on the floor.

grunt... groan...

"i want action tonight.."

hey! this could be a song! where's my mousse and hair dryer?

pheh.

bomarl1969
01-26-2005, 10:30 AM
poison = toilet lyrics.

grunt... groan...

"i want action tonight.."

hey! this could be a song! where's my mousse and hair dryer?

pheh.

I would much rather hear about cars, strippers, sex, and having a good time rather than blaming the world and my parents for my messed up life and how I want to kill myself. gag me

Johnny Footstool
01-26-2005, 10:35 AM
poison = toilet lyrics.

grunt... groan...

For a second, I thought *those* were the lyrics to some unreleased Poison track.

TRF
01-26-2005, 12:44 PM
I would much rather hear about cars, strippers, sex, and having a good time rather than blaming the world and my parents for my messed up life and how I want to kill myself. gag me

well i guess this says it all.

By the way the entire 80's hair bands combined have yet to produce a single song as good as the worst U2 song.

oh you know it's true.

Steve4192
01-26-2005, 12:50 PM
By the way the entire 80's hair bands combined have yet to produce a single song as good as the worst U2 song.
I hate 'hair metal' as much as anyone, but even I have to admit they did some work better than the trash U2 tried to pass off on their 1997 release 'Pop'.

M2
01-26-2005, 05:51 PM
Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance

Though Motorhead's Ace of Spades is the gold standard of all metal.

macro
01-27-2005, 09:38 AM
well i guess this says it all.

oh you know it's true.

Can we at least admit that this entire conversation is one of opinions, of which one person's is no more "accurate" than anyone else's? I'm sure there are some people who love Mozart who would think that U2 is comparable to listening to a dog howl. Does that make you wrong? Does that make you like U2 less? Does that mean that U2 sucks?

Scrap Irony
01-27-2005, 11:33 PM
Quiet Riot-- Metal Health

Twisted Sister-- Stay Hungry

bucksfan
01-28-2005, 02:38 PM
Can we at least admit that this entire conversation is one of opinions, of which one person's is no more "accurate" than anyone else's? I'm sure there are some people who love Mozart who would think that U2 is comparable to listening to a dog howl. Does that make you wrong? Does that make you like U2 less? Does that mean that U2 sucks?

Hear, hear! I has a post typed to this effect (less succinct), but macro says it well. My gosh, these are people's OPINIONS! I like a lot of the music mentioned here and I like a lot of the music those putting down the music mentioned here seem to like...and I like a whole lot more and dislike a bunch of stuff too.

FWIW, opening a thread with this clear title and posting how that music sucks makes zero sense to me. bomarl obviously likes this kind music. Posting derogatory comments about it in the thread he started is pretty sad.

My list
1) "Back in Black" - AC/DC (wore out 2 8-tracks of this, then bought it on vinyl so I could just keep making cassettes, then the dinosaurs would eat those)

2) "Shout at the Devil " - Motely Crue - (as a small town country kid, buying this album (on vinyl again) and listening to it over and over was really out of place on our HS. And I bet hardly anyone knew I was listening to that stuff back then...

3) "High'n'Dry" - Def Leppard - just finally got this on CD, but the opening guitar to the title track still brings back memories...

4) "Appetite for Destruction" - Guns n Roses - I can still hear the opening to Paradise City coming from our apartment stereo about 9 in the AM on a sunny football Saturday

5) "Skid Row" - Skid Row - I absolutley loved this album and still even though I probably have not listened to it for years could sing every word. I agress with previous poster's comment about Sebastian Bach - he has an incredible voice.

6) "Night Songs" - Cinderella - if foir nothing else for the song "Shake ME" which I played over and over again. Plus it intoduced me to Tom Keifer, whose voice for whatever reason I have always liked.

7) "Slave to the Grind" - Skid Row - probably a bit better album then their 1st release. Had a harder edge to it which I liked.

8) "Fair Warning" - VH - By far my favorite Van Halen album of all time. Another 8-track I wore to the bones...

9) "Number of the Beast" - Iron Maiden - As a small town country boy I was always almost afraid of these albums in teh Camelot music store at the nearest "big city" (Lima) mall! But I took a turn one time, and my fears subsided. The cover artwork just does not have the same affect on a little tiny jewel case....

10) Hard to leave Queensrych out of this. And I agree "Operation : Mindcrime" is probably the best. But to truly personalize this list for me, I'd have to put "The Warning" here instead. I learned every word Geoff Tate had to for this one...and there were a lot of words...

And now I listen to a lot of country, folk, whatever, e.g. Indigo Girls, Buffett, Todd Snider, Jerry Jeff Walker, Nanci Griffith, et al but I still like what I liked then too, and a whole lot more...

TRF
01-28-2005, 02:47 PM
Hear, hear! I has a post typed to this effect (less succinct), but macro says it well. My gosh, these are people's OPINIONS! I like a lot of the music mentioned here and I like a lot of the music those putting down the music mentioned here seem to like...and I like a whole lot more and dislike a bunch of stuff too.

FWIW, opening a thread with this clear title and posting how that music sucks makes zero sense to me. bomarl obviously likes this kind music. Posting derogatory comments about it in the thread he started is pretty sad.

wait. his opinion about the music i happen to like was pretty sarcastic and durogatory. so that's only allowed if you start the thread? gotcha. now i remember why i stay on the baseball side.

bucksfan
01-28-2005, 03:03 PM
Not at all. I don't understand why anyone would demean another's opinion about the music they like. I initially missed what you referenced, but mine really should have been just a general comment about people's opinions towards other's opinions about something like music. I know it's a mean world and some people just feel the need to say something someone else likes is terrible. That person is not me, nor do I understand the mentality.

I probably should not have said anything other than my list, so I'll leave it at that.

dman
01-28-2005, 04:59 PM

My list
1) "Back in Black" - AC/DC (wore out 2 8-tracks of this, then bought it on vinyl so I could just keep making cassettes, then the dinosaurs would eat those)

2) "Shout at the Devil " - Motely Crue - (as a small town country kid, buying this album (on vinyl again) and listening to it over and over was really out of place on our HS. And I bet hardly anyone knew I was listening to that stuff back then...

3) "High'n'Dry" - Def Leppard - just finally got this on CD, but the opening guitar to the title track still brings back memories...

4) "Appetite for Destruction" - Guns n Roses - I can still hear the opening to Paradise City coming from our apartment stereo about 9 in the AM on a sunny football Saturday

5) "Skid Row" - Skid Row - I absolutley loved this album and still even though I probably have not listened to it for years could sing every word. I agress with previous poster's comment about Sebastian Bach - he has an incredible voice.

6) "Night Songs" - Cinderella - if foir nothing else for the song "Shake ME" which I played over and over again. Plus it intoduced me to Tom Keifer, whose voice for whatever reason I have always liked.

7) "Slave to the Grind" - Skid Row - probably a bit better album then their 1st release. Had a harder edge to it which I liked.

8) "Fair Warning" - VH - By far my favorite Van Halen album of all time. Another 8-track I wore to the bones...

9) "Number of the Beast" - Iron Maiden - As a small town country boy I was always almost afraid of these albums in teh Camelot music store at the nearest "big city" (Lima) mall! But I took a turn one time, and my fears subsided. The cover artwork just does not have the same affect on a little tiny jewel case....

10) Hard to leave Queensrych out of this. And I agree "Operation : Mindcrime" is probably the best. But to truly personalize this list for me, I'd have to put "The Warning" here instead. I learned every word Geoff Tate had to for this one...and there were a lot of words...

And now I listen to a lot of country, folk, whatever, e.g. Indigo Girls, Buffett, Todd Snider, Jerry Jeff Walker, Nanci Griffith, et al but I still like what I liked then too, and a whole lot more...
Bucksfan, On Slave To The Grind, the song "In A Darkened Room", I thought that the combo of Bach's vocals and Scotti Hill's guitar work were absolutely amazing. I'm normally not a fan of ballads, but this one was so over the top. With Tom Keifer, I didn't like his vocals on Night Songs that much but on Long Cold Winter I really felt that he was in his element with that bluesy sound.

bucksfan
01-30-2005, 10:12 AM
I agree with you D-man. The bluesy-rock was very much present on "Long Cold Winter". Looking back, I am pretty sure I listened to "LCW" much more than "Night Songs" overall. Good call. Keifer wrote a song to him Mom, "Hard to Find the Words", which is really another ballad but it hit home for me as well, so I guess I have always just liked what he wrote. I can truly understand some who say his voice can kinda grate on their ears, but to me, especailly as you say in the bluesy realm, it works pretty well.

As my tastes have changed, mostly due to natural changing life situations, I can still listen to an album like "Long Cold Winter" pretty much any time.

Johnny Footstool
01-31-2005, 12:20 AM
'Rella was my favorite of all the hair metal bands.

Ravenlord
01-31-2005, 07:51 AM
A through D

Savatage
Sirens (1983)
The Dungeons are Calling (1984)
Hall of the Mountain King (1987)
Gutter Ballet (1989)

Megadeth
Killing is my Business...and Business is Good! (1985)
Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?! (1986)
So Far, So Good...So What?! (1988)

Slayer
Haunting the Chapel (1984)
Hell Awaits (1985)
Reign in Blood (1986)
Live Undead (1987)

Metallica
Kill 'em All (1983)
Ride the Lightning (1984)
Master of Puppets (1986)

Accept
Breaker (1981)
Restless and Wild (1982)
Balls to the Walls (1983)
Metal Heart (1985)

Alice Cooper
Flush the Fashion (1980)
Da Da (1983)
Constrictor (1986)
Raise Your Fist and Yell (1987)
Trash (1989)

Angel Dust
To Dust You Will Decay (1988)

Angel Witch
Angel Witch (1980)

Anthrax
Fistful of Metal (1983)
Among the Living (1987)
State of Euphoria (1988)

Armored Saint
Saints Will Conquer, Live (1988)

Black Sabbath
Mob Rules (1981)

Blind Guardian
Follow the Blind (1989)

Candlemass
Nightfall (1987)
Ancient Dreams (1988)

Coroner
R.I.P. (1987)
Punishment for Decadence (1988)

Danzig
Danzig (1988)

Death
Scream Bloody Gore (1987)
Leprosy (1988)

Death Angel
The Ultra-Violence (1987)
Frolic Through the Park (1988)

Diamond Head
Lightning to the Oceans (1980)
Borrowed Time (1982)
Canterbury (1983)

Dio
Holy Diver (1983)
The Last in Line (1984)
Sacred Heart (1985)
Dream Evil (1987)

Dokken
Dokken (1985)

Ravenlord
02-02-2005, 06:50 PM
E through G

Exodus
Bonded By Blood (1985)
Pleasures of the Flesh (1987)
Fabulous Disaster (1989)

Exumer
Rising From the Sea (1988)

Faith No More
We Care A Lot (1985)
The Real Thing (1989)

Fate's Warning
Night on Broken (1984)
Awaken the Guardian (1986)
Perfect Symmetry (1989)

Flotsam & Jetsam
Doomsday for the Deceiver (1986)

Grave Digger
Heavy Metal Breakdown (1984)

Grim Reaper
Fear No Evil (1983)

GWAR
Hell-O (1988)

Dom Heffner
02-03-2005, 02:34 PM
I just like goo.

I have no idea what that means.

macro
02-03-2005, 02:45 PM
A through D

Savatage
Sirens (1983)
The Dungeons are Calling (1984)
Hall of the Mountain King (1987)
Gutter Ballet (1989)

Megadeth
Killing is my Business...and Business is Good! (1985)
Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?! (1986)
So Far, So Good...So What?! (1988)

Slayer
Haunting the Chapel (1984)
Hell Awaits (1985)
Reign in Blood (1986)
Live Undead (1987)

Metallica
Kill 'em All (1983)
Ride the Lightning (1984)
Master of Puppets (1986)

sava, if I know my alphabet, and I think I do, these bands' names don't begin with A, B, C, or D.

:devil:

Ravenlord
02-04-2005, 07:30 AM
sava, if I know my alphabet, and I think I do, these bands' names don't begin with A, B, C, or D.

:devil:
:p:

i started out doing it at random, but then i figured i forget too many that way.

Ravenlord
02-04-2005, 08:10 AM
H through L

Helloween
Keeper of the Seven Keys Pt. 1 (1987)
Keeper of the Seven Keys Pt. 2 (1988)

Iron Maiden
Killers (1981)
The Number of the Beast (1982)
Piece of Mind (1983)
Powerslave (1984)
Somewhere in Time (1986)
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1988)

Judas Priest
British Steel (1980)
Screaming for Vengence (1982)
Ram it Down (1988)

King Diamond
Abigail (1987)
Them (1988)

Kreator
Pleasure to Kill (1987)

Leviticus
Setting Fire to the Earth (1989)

Red Leader
02-04-2005, 10:16 AM
I can't believe there is no mention of one of my favorite groups from the 7th or 8th grade: White Lion.

When the Children Cry, Wait, Tell Me, All You Need is Rock N' Roll, etc.

That was one of my favorite growing up. Can't say I'd really consider them "metal", but compared to some of the other bands that were mentioned, they belong.

Johnny Footstool
02-04-2005, 10:54 AM
I can't believe there is no mention of one of my favorite groups from the 7th or 8th grade: White Lion.

Ahh...White Lion.

They made their American debut as the on-screen band in "The Money Pit" with Tom Hanks and Shelly Long.

I really dug the guitar hooks on "Wait" and "Little Fighter".

Red Leader
02-04-2005, 11:01 AM
Ahh...White Lion.

They made their American debut as the on-screen band in "The Money Pit" with Tom Hanks and Shelly Long.

I really dug the guitar hooks on "Wait" and "Little Fighter".

Those were my favorite songs by White Lion as well. I used to listen to Little Fighter to get me pumped up for baseball games in the 8th grade. :MandJ:

RedFanAlways1966
02-04-2005, 11:06 AM
Those were my favorite songs by White Lion as well. I used to listen to Little Fighter to get me pumped up for baseball games in the 8th grade. :MandJ:

White Lion! The guy who plays guitar with me in a band still whips out White Lion tunes at practice. He and the singer like to do Wait & When The Children Cry when the rest of the band is taking a break. IIRC wasn't their guitarist named Vito Bratta or something like that? He was pretty decent talentwise, but didn't seem to get the acclaim that some of the other chump-guitarists got back in those days.

I remember when they came out w/ a cover of "Radar Love". I thought it was pretty jamming. It was when I first started playing guitar seriously and even learned the song. Not b/c of Golden Earring (I think it was them), but b/c of the White Lion cover.

Johnny Footstool
02-04-2005, 11:40 AM
Vito Bratta was a fantastic guitarist, but he was probably too ugly to market as a rock idol, and he sounded too much like Eddie Van Halen to be considered a pioneer. He sure could come up with some nice hooks, though.

dman
02-04-2005, 10:02 PM
Vito Bratta was a fantastic guitarist, but he was probably too ugly to market as a rock idol, and he sounded too much like Eddie Van Halen to be considered a pioneer. He sure could come up with some nice hooks, though.
Vito Bratta has been suffering from some sort of paralysis in his right hand the last couple of years. Really unfortunate as he was one of the most melodic players along with Nuno Bettencourt of Extreme to play the genre of "Hair Metal".

Ravenlord
02-07-2005, 08:38 PM
M through O

Manowar
Battle Hymns (1982)
Into Glory Ride (1983)
Sign of the Hammer (1984)
Kings of Metal (1988)

Mercyful Fate
Melissa (1983)

Metal Church
Metal Church (1985)