PDA

View Full Version : Everyone please read: forum rules

Boss-Hog
05-28-2004, 02:33 AM
Since we upgraded the board to the latest version of the vBulletin software a while back, we haven't had the forum rules at the bottom of each page because they did not successfully import over to the new version. It was something I was aware of but I wanted the same rules - word for word - before I put them back up. Over in the Hall of Fame forum, Bob Borkowski mentioned that he had found an old copy of the site that had the rules I was looking for. I have readded them at the bottom of each style, along with links to private message the administrators and moderators. I just wanted to remind everyone of these, particularly because we've had so many new users lately, but I also think it would be a good idea for forum 'veterans' to reread them as well. Play by the rules and you'll fit in just fine...if you have any questions about the rules, feel free to contact an admin or moderator. Thanks for your cooperation and as the last rule states, enjoy yourselves!

Boss

RBA
05-28-2004, 09:26 AM
I don't know because it's been a long time since I registered. When someone registers do they agree to abide by the rules, like a Yes or No answer. It's part of the registration process, right?

Boss-Hog
05-28-2004, 01:39 PM
I don't know because it's been a long time since I registered. When someone registers do they agree to abide by the rules, like a Yes or No answer. It's part of the registration process, right?
They don't have to agree to the board rules specifically but something pretty similar that vBulletin has issused as their default rules. Still, I think it might be a good idea to change the wording so that they have to agree to our specific forum rules. Here's the vBulletin rules that new users currently have to agree to:

Forum Rules
Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here (http://www.redszone.com/forums/index.php?) to return to the forums index.

Although the administrators and moderators of RedsZone Forums will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of RedsZone Forums, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of RedsZone Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Boss-Hog
06-01-2004, 01:57 AM
Another thing I've noticed we've been having a problem with lately is profanity. I've made a post similar to this a few times in the past but I'll do it again for all the new people and the people who need to be reminded. In accordance with rule #4 listed at the bottom of every page, which bars the use of edgy language, profanity, whether "masked" or not, will no longer be tolerated. I'm getting tired of seeing posts littered with things like f**k where it is inherently obvious what the poster means. Another thing I've seen come up a lot of is the use of 'WTF'. We all know what the 'f' stands for and it's not going to be tolerated anymore. There are plenty of ways for you to express yourself without using terms like that. Personally, I have no problem with profanity but since I help run a board that has a lot of kids visit it, it won't be tolerated here. I'm not talking about relatively tame words like "damn" or "hell" but it's the things beyond that that I have a problem with.

Here's how it will be handled in the future - if your posts contain profanity, the entire post will be deleted with a message from the administrator or moderator stating that your post has been deleted for violating rule #4. If this continues to be a problem, you will be suspended for a week. It gets worse from there.

Added June 10th: If you direct profanity at another user, you will automatically be suspended from the board for one week. The reason we're cracking down on this, in particular, is because it violates rules #4 and #5. Something like this has already happened three times and we will not hestitate to continue to suspend violaters.

We will need our members to help keep the board clean. With the board growing every day, it's becoming harder and harder to monitor every single post. If you see a post that is violating this or any of our other rules, we would appreciate it you report the post to the admins and moderators by clicking on the triangle with an exclaimation point below every post. This will anonymously allow you to report a particular post to a moderator.

So, in short, no profanity including using *'s or the like to 'censor' it and no abbreviations such as WTF, WT__ or anything similar. Keep it clean and we won't have a problem. Thanks.

Boss

smith288
06-01-2004, 06:44 AM
:thumbup:

GAC
06-01-2004, 08:25 AM
Yosemite Sam would never make it past the first day then huh?

http://www.barbneal.com/wav/ltunes/yosemite/Sam52.wav

http://www.americanroyalarts.com/library/tt6.jpg

Bob Borkowski
06-01-2004, 08:40 AM
Excellent, Boss. Thanks.

RollyInRaleigh
06-01-2004, 11:22 AM
:thumbup: You guys do a great job. Thanks for keeping it clean!

paintmered
06-01-2004, 01:01 PM
so this means Chip will be running around doing this :fineprint ? ;)

Thanks for keeping this place clean, Boss. :thumbup:

REDREAD
06-01-2004, 02:29 PM
:thumbup: keep up the good work Boss. good ideas!

oregonred
06-02-2004, 03:52 AM
Boss -- U Top Dog :thumbup:

Spring~Fields
06-02-2004, 09:21 AM
5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. Sounds good on paper. :confused:

smith288
06-02-2004, 09:24 AM
I just KNOW some whiner is going to call this a "freedom of speech" issue.

It happens everytime on forums and I cant stop laughing everytime I see it.

LOL

zombie-a-go-go
06-02-2004, 09:26 AM
5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. Sounds good on paper. :confused:

Wasn't there something about trolling on there, too? :evil:

RedsBaron
06-02-2004, 09:36 AM
:clap: Thanks Boss! :thumbup:

Boss-Hog
06-02-2004, 11:25 AM
I would usually PM you this, but since you've turned private messages off, I pretty much have to respond here. IF what you're trying to say is that we have not been enforcing that rule, this thread is not the proper place to do so.

Boss-Hog
06-10-2004, 01:03 PM
I added a new part to post #4 above. I can't emphasize enough that I recommend everyone read it.

GIK
06-10-2004, 08:07 PM
Boss and I have decided to add an official enforcement policy to the board regarding, most specifically, the combination of Rules 4 and 5 (ie, direct personal attacks toward fellow members usually, at least lately, in the form of profanity). Keeping the baseball theme, we'll call it "Three Strikes" (and you're out) for now.

Strike 1: 1-week suspension
Strike 2: 1-month suspension
Strike 3: Permanent Ban

This may seem harsh to some members, but when you really think about it I feel you'll understand the reason behind this decision. Remember, this is a family-oriented message board. There is no age limit and kids often do read and or post here. Keep it clean, have some fun and we'll all be happy.

GIK :)

Redsland
06-11-2004, 08:27 PM
If we're suspended, can we appeal the suspension and keep right on posting until some sort of hearing in New York or series against Tampa, whichever comes first? ;)

CougarQuest
06-12-2004, 12:35 AM
If we're suspended, can we appeal the suspension and keep right on posting until some sort of hearing in New York or series against Tampa, whichever comes first? ;)

Sure you can appeal. Appeal forms are at your local WalMart. Just ask the greeter at the front door for the "RedsZone Suspension Appeal Forms". They must be the official appeal forms or your appeal will not go through. If they are out, or if the old guy acts like he doesn't know what you are talking about, then sorry, you are out of luck. Your appeal will not allow you to keep posting until the decision is made though. The decisions of the appeals committee are final.

Boss-Hog
11-13-2004, 12:44 PM
I'm making this a sticky because I've noticed that masked profanity has become a problem again lately. I suggest everyone read (or reread) post #4 in this thread.

Hubba
11-13-2004, 04:29 PM
Boss What about constant whining about the front? No one could possibly say any thing new. Could they?
I'm making this a sticky because I've noticed that masked profanity has become a problem again lately. I suggest everyone read (or reread) post #4 in this thread.

savafan
11-13-2004, 05:09 PM
What are the guidelines on profanity? Sure, swear words are obvious, but so too should be gratuitous sexual innuendo, as well as overt violent language can be considered profane by some people.

Is there a specific list of words and phrases that are not acceptable on Redszone, or is it the old don't say anything that you wouldn't say in front of your grandmother rule? I'm just curious.

Boss-Hog
11-13-2004, 06:45 PM
(From my post above)

I'm not talking about relatively tame words like "damn" or "hell" but it's the things beyond that that I have a problem with.
I'm not going to put together a list of "forbidden" words - I'll just suggest that people use that as a pretty good guideline for what is and isn't allowable.

Raisor
11-13-2004, 08:28 PM
(From my post above)

I'm not going to put together a list of "forbidden" words - I'll just suggest that people use that as a pretty good guideline for what is and isn't allowable.

What about that 14-word "s" word that got Milo Bloom and Steve Dallas in trouble in BLOOM COUNTY?

(Someone HAS to get this one..)

Boss-Hog
12-28-2004, 12:02 PM
I'm bumping this up again because I've seen too many violations of the profanity rule lately (which, as you can see from reading above, covers masked profanity). The word b|tch, including b|tching in the sense it has been used in, is NOT ok. Not only is it a word I don't want to see on here, it is typically used in a sense that paints a negative stereotype of anyone who disagrees with your opinion. From here on out, there won't be anymore first warnings - this is your warning.

redsfan30
12-28-2004, 01:14 PM
I'm bumping this up again because I've seen too many violations of the profanity rule lately (which, as you can see from reading above, covers masked profanity). The word b|tch, including b|tching in the sense it has been used in, is NOT ok. Not only is it a word I don't want to see on here, it is typically used in a sense that paints a negative stereotype of anyone who disagrees with your opinion. From here on out, there won't be anymore first warnings - this is your warning.
I know you're mainly talking about my post yesterday and I'm sorry. Just got alittle caught up.

Boss-Hog
12-28-2004, 01:56 PM
I know you're mainly talking about my post yesterday and I'm sorry. Just got alittle caught up.No, I'm not talking about just you. I've seen it at least four different times in the past day.

redsfan30
12-28-2004, 02:51 PM
No, I'm not talking about just you. I've seen it at least four different times in the past day.
Either way, I still was a big part of it with my post and for that I appologize.

dougflynn23
12-28-2004, 03:41 PM
What about that 14-word "s" word that got Milo Bloom and Steve Dallas in trouble in BLOOM COUNTY?

(Someone HAS to get this one..) :D SNUGGLEBUNNIES!!!!!! I hope that doesn't get me suspended....excuse me, there's a knock on my door....

remdog
12-28-2004, 08:50 PM

OK, since I seem to have missed the posts in question and I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to, what is wrong with the word(s) *****/*****ing, both of which are found in my desk dictionary (Websters' New World)? If it was used as some sort of profanity, I can see it but if it's used within a dictionary defined way?

The word that I keep seeing that would seem to be more of a problem (to me anyway) is 'freeking' which is being used as a euphemism for a word that begins with 'f' and means to copulate.

Of course, as the old joke goes: what's a four letter word that ends in 'k' and means intercourse? The answer is: talk.

Rem

Raisor
12-28-2004, 08:56 PM
:D SNUGGLEBUNNIES!!!!!! I hope that doesn't get me suspended....excuse me, there's a knock on my door....

now you've done it. That will be the FCC knocking. We'll never see DF23 again!

SNUGGLEBUNNIESSNUGGLEBUNNIESSNUGGLEBUNNIES

Unassisted
12-29-2004, 01:41 AM
Boss and GIK own the board and ownership confers the right to make the rules. By signing up here, you agree to play by those rules.

So, if they chose to ban the word "Cubs," that'd be fine with me. ;)

Boss-Hog
12-29-2004, 01:47 AM
OK, since I seem to have missed the posts in question and I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to, what is wrong with the word(s) *****/*****ing, both of which are found in my desk dictionary (Websters' New World)? If it was used as some sort of profanity, I can see it but if it's used within a dictionary defined way?

The word that I keep seeing that would seem to be more of a problem (to me anyway) is 'freeking' which is being used as a euphemism for a word that begins with 'f' and means to copulate.

Of course, as the old joke goes: what's a four letter word that ends in 'k' and means intercourse? The answer is: talk.

RemIt's mostly the manner in which it's been used lately.

Ravenlord
12-29-2004, 08:44 AM
this little guy can also be your friend :censored: