PDA

View Full Version : Law School Applications

BuckeyeRed27
01-25-2005, 09:32 PM
I thought there were a couple other people that post here that took the LSAT back in October when I took it and was wondering how their application process was going.

I applied like 2 months ago and haven't heard back from anywhere yet. It's killing me. Hopefully I'll get something this week. I have a feeling.

Dom Heffner
01-27-2005, 11:20 PM
Where did you apply?

Yachtzee
01-29-2005, 02:37 PM
Sorry I haven't replied sooner. When I applied to schools last year, I really didn't hear from anyone until mid-February to early March. Depending on what schools you applied to, some of them won't even start looking at applications until mid-February.

In any case, I know how you feel. I can remember going to the mailbox every day to see if I had gotten any letters from the schools to which I applied. The worst was when one school sent me a letter with the official university seal on it, just to tell me what the on-campus parking options were. I got so excited when I saw the envelope and got my wife on the phone so that we could share the moment of my first acceptance to law school. Unfortunately it only told me that parking passes cost $115 a semester. :(

To echo Dom, where did you apply, if you don't mind me asking? Wherever you did, I wish you the best and hope you get your first choice! :thumbup:

MWM
01-29-2005, 05:07 PM
Do Law Schools not give a date when they'll notify you? All the B-Schools I applied to had a notification date. On that date, you would be notified whether or not you were accepted. Most of this was done online. You could check your application status online and it would tell you. I knew the exact date I would know the decision ahead of time. I can't imagine what it would have been like not knowing when I would know. That must be torture.

cincinnati chili
01-29-2005, 05:18 PM
Do Law Schools not give a date when they'll notify you? All the B-Schools I applied to had a notification date. On that date, you would be notified whether or not you were accepted. Most of this was done online. You could check your application status online and it would tell you. I knew the exact date I would know the decision ahead of time. I can't imagine what it would have been like not knowing when I would know. That must be torture.

MWM - The ABA does not require law schools to give any sort of date. I heard from one school as early as January, and another as late as June.

MWM
01-29-2005, 05:25 PM
MWM - The ABA does not require law schools to give any sort of date. I heard from one school as early as January, and another as late as June.

I'm sure there's a reason why they do that, but honestly, that sucks. B-Schools have three deadlines and your notification date all depends on which deadline you submitted your application on. I can't think of why law school admissions should be any different.

cincinnati chili
01-30-2005, 12:07 AM
I'm sure there's a reason why they do that, but honestly, that sucks. B-Schools have three deadlines and your notification date all depends on which deadline you submitted your application on. I can't think of why law school admissions should be any different.

I've assumed they do it because there's a "seller's market" for JD's, given that there's only about 175 accredited law schools and umpteen gazillion people trying to get in. They have us over a barrel. They claim "rolling admissions," but the first application I turned in was the last one I heard back on.

I should point out that not all schools mess around with people like this. I applied to 8 schools and saw a lot of variation in the way applicants were treated.

BuckeyeRed27
01-30-2005, 08:30 PM
Hey sorry it took me a while to post.

I applied to Wake Forest, OSU, UC, Villanova, Temple, UNLV, Arizona State, Northern Illinois, Valpo and New England.

So far I've heard back from Valpo (I got in). I should hear back from OSU this week, but I'm not expecting good news :( . I think a lot of my letters will start coming soon. I've been complete everywhere for about 5 weeks now. Christmas Break probably slowed down a lot of stuff.

Dom Heffner
02-01-2005, 01:00 PM
UNLV is a wonderful choice- they were founded just in 1997 and already in the top 100 schools. Nasty acceptance rate, but that's probably due to the flood of apps they get and attractive entrance requirements.

Actually all the schools you applied to are great, so I wish you the best of luck in getting in. :)

Yachtzee
02-01-2005, 01:55 PM
You definitely have some good schools to choose from on your list. I hope you get your first choice! Let us know what you decide.

BuckeyeRed27
02-01-2005, 02:10 PM
Haha..well I won't get into my first choice since OSU decided I wasn't cool enough. But that's ok. ASU and Wake Forest are going to be tough for me. The rest I'm about 50/50 so I'll hope for the best.

cincinnati chili
02-02-2005, 01:20 AM
Hey sorry it took me a while to post.

I applied to Wake Forest, OSU, UC, Villanova, Temple, UNLV, Arizona State, Northern Illinois, Valpo and New England.

So far I've heard back from Valpo (I got in). I should hear back from OSU this week, but I'm not expecting good news :( . I think a lot of my letters will start coming soon. I've been complete everywhere for about 5 weeks now. Christmas Break probably slowed down a lot of stuff.

Temple rejected me. Da bumz!

Congrats on getting into Valpo!

Now that you're into Valpo, I'd recommend crossing New England off your list, unless you REALLY wanna move to Boston, or unless they give you mad scholarship money. It's one thing to trek all the way to the east coast for Temple or 'Nova. But New England is firmly entrenched as the sixth dog in this very competitive legal town (Harvard, BC, BU, Suffolk and Northeastern).

BuckeyeRed27
02-02-2005, 07:57 AM
Yeah I really doubt I'd go to NE unless they gave me a lot of money.

I'm half expecting to get a ding from Temple. What are your numbers?

Yachtzee
02-02-2005, 09:40 AM
That's too bad about OSU, but congrats on Valpo! With winter in full swing, ASU and UNLV must be looking pretty good right now! :)

Actually, with the weather we've been having up here in NE Ohio, UC looks good right about now.

SunDeck
02-05-2005, 12:57 PM
You guys didn't ask us for letters of recommendation? That woulda done the trick. Hello, Yale!

Temple rejected me. Da bumz!

Congrats on getting into Valpo!

Now that you're into Valpo, I'd recommend crossing New England off your list, unless you REALLY wanna move to Boston, or unless they give you mad scholarship money. It's one thing to trek all the way to the east coast for Temple or 'Nova. But New England is firmly entrenched as the sixth dog in this very competitive legal town (Harvard, BC, BU, Suffolk and Northeastern).

cincinnati chili
03-15-2007, 01:22 AM
Yeah I really doubt I'd go to NE unless they gave me a lot of money.

I'm half expecting to get a ding from Temple. What are your numbers?

So where did you end up going, and how are all the law schoolers making out? I'm in the 3rd year of a 4 year program. About now is when I'm wishing I'd done the 3rd year program. Cuz I'd be done.

WMR
03-15-2007, 06:06 PM
how are all the law schoolers making out?

Still doin' my thing at Case Western ... 2L trying to figure out where I'll be working this summer ...

Yachtzee
03-15-2007, 07:54 PM
3rd Year, graduating in May. I've turned in my note to get my general writing requirement credit and I took the MPRE, so now it's time to coast to graduation, then it's prepping for the bar exam. Now if I could just find someone to hire me after I take the bar.

Caveat Emperor
03-15-2007, 09:07 PM
how are all the law schoolers making out?

So beyond glad that I'm not in school and preparing for exams or the bar again.

But, then again, I miss spring break right about now.

cincinnati chili
03-15-2007, 09:21 PM
So beyond glad that I'm not in school and preparing for exams or the bar again.

But, then again, I miss spring break right about now.

As a 3rd year evening student, I'm spending my spring break working all day and writing papers at night. It doesn't feel like a break at all.

It's been a tough year. I was fortunate enough to make law review, but it hasn't yet opened the doors I hoped it would. Maybe in the future.

I know one thing for sure. In my fourth year, I'm going to lay off the paper classes, and take it a little easier on myself. Maybe I'll sign up for "Mortgages for Morons" or "Wills for Waistoids."

BuckeyeRed27
03-15-2007, 09:26 PM
I'm almost in my 2nd year of working for a company in the financial services industry. I decided I was probably doing law school more because I didn't know what to do than wanting to be a lawyer and that probably wasn't the best idea.

I enjoy my job now. I've already been promoted and have another coming and moved on to California and looking to start MBA in fall of 08.

cincinnati chili
03-15-2007, 09:28 PM
I'm almost in my 2nd year of working for a company in the financial services industry. I decided I was probably doing law school more because I didn't know what to do than wanting to be a lawyer and that probably wasn't the best idea.

I enjoy my job now. I've already been promoted and have another coming and moved on to California and looking to start MBA in fall of 08.

Good choice. And selfishly, that means one less smart person I have to compete with for a legal job.

Yachtzee
03-15-2007, 10:38 PM
As a 3rd year evening student, I'm spending my spring break working all day and writing papers at night. It doesn't feel like a break at all.

It's been a tough year. I was fortunate enough to make law review, but it hasn't yet opened the doors I hoped it would. Maybe in the future.

I know one thing for sure. In my fourth year, I'm going to lay off the paper classes, and take it a little easier on myself. Maybe I'll sign up for "Mortgages for Morons" or "Wills for Waistoids."

Congratulations on law review. I'm just finishing up my tour of duty on law review. I guess I'll find out soon whether it was worth it.

I highly recommend kicking back in your last year. Last semester I didn't lay off on the challenging classes as much as I should have and between classes and law review I just about killed myself from the stress. This semester I only needed to take 2 3-credit classes and that is what I did. With a part-time job and two kids, one at 7 months, I figure I need to save my strength for the bar exam. Now if I could just find that copy of "Commercial Paper for Dummies."

Caveat Emperor
03-16-2007, 12:43 AM
Now if I could just find that copy of "Commercial Paper for Dummies."

I sat through Secured Transactions and that was more than enough for me. Thankfully, the Ohio State Bar Examiners didn't give us a Commercial Paper question, because if they had my essay would've consisted of a statement about the difference between bearer paper and order paper, a word about "negotiability" (to prove I know the term exists), and then possibly some doodling on the remainder of the page.