PDA

View Full Version : Does this logo look mean?

WVRed
01-27-2005, 11:10 PM
http://espn.starwave.com/media/nfl/2005/0127/photo/cardinalslogo_i.jpg

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1977191

Associated Press
TEMPE, Ariz. -- The Arizona Cardinals have given their old bird a makeover.

Team owner Bill Bidwill calls the Cardinals' new logo (bottom) "a tough bird."

The Cardinal head that has served as the team's logo since 1960 -- when the franchise moved from Chicago to St. Louis -- has been subtly transformed into a sleeker, meaner creature. The updated version was unveiled with great fanfare at Cardinals headquarters on Thursday.

"A tough bird," team owner Bill Bidwill said. "Hopefully it will be worn by tougher and faster and meaner players."

Yet to come is what Cardinals vice president Michael Bidwill called "a revolutionary" change in the team's uniforms, to be shown this spring.

Defensive end Bertrand Berry will wear the new logo on his helmet in next month's Pro Bowl.

The old Cardinal logo was a roundhead bird derisively referred to as a "parakeet." The new version has decidedly more evil eyes and a menacing expression.

"The outline is in black," Michael Bidwill said. "We've made the beak much more predatory and much more aggressive. The face is much more streamlined. It's faster looking. The eye has been described as mean, we'll say tough. We've taken tail feathers and given them speed, as well."

The new beak is gold, while the old one was yellow.

"As they say, it's not the size of the bird in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the bird," coach Dennis Green said. "The cardinal is a small bird, but it can be a very aggressive bird. That's the idea."

Several prominent Cardinals -- including Josh McCown, Larry Fitzgerald and Leonard Davis -- modeled apparel with the new logo.

With his rural Texas background, McCown was asked if he was something of an expert on birds.

"The only birds I know about are the duck and the dove and the quail, birds that you shoot," the Cardinals quarterback said. "You're not really supposed to shoot cardinals. I don't know if I'd shoot this bird. It looks pretty mean. This bird might pull a gun out and shoot right back at you."

The changes are part of the team's preparation for its move into a new stadium, set for completion by the 2006 season opener.

CbusRed
01-27-2005, 11:12 PM
Why did they steal Louisvilles logo?

CougarQuest
01-27-2005, 11:15 PM
constipated?

WVRed
01-27-2005, 11:19 PM
Why did they steal Louisvilles logo?

That was my reaction at first.

Danny Serafini
01-27-2005, 11:36 PM
Reminds me of a red version of the Eagles wing on their helmets.

RFS62
01-27-2005, 11:48 PM
Yeah, that should solve all their problems.

RosieRed
01-27-2005, 11:54 PM
Here's Louisville's logo (done in cross-stitching, no less!)

http://www.blackcatstudios.net/cgi-bin/Store/Images/PD-LC01-b.jpg

Yachtzee
01-28-2005, 12:24 AM
I just have to laugh, because all this makes me think of the NFL-United Way ads a few years ago where Jake Plummer was trying to convince kids that Cardinals were tough birds. One kid says "Eagles are meaner than cardinals", to which Jake says, "No way! Cardinals eat eagles!" :)

KronoRed
01-28-2005, 02:35 AM
Here's Louisville's logo (done in cross-stitching, no less!)

http://www.blackcatstudios.net/cgi-bin/Store/Images/PD-LC01-b.jpg
I like this one the best :D

macro
01-28-2005, 07:21 AM
I've never seen a cardinal with teeth.

RollyInRaleigh
01-28-2005, 09:05 AM
I've never seen a cardinal with teeth.

:MandJ: Every time I see that Louisville "Cardinal," it makes me want to laugh. Maybe they should try to give it lips and a mustache. :MandJ:

Personally, I don't think the new Cardinal looks any meaner than the original Cardinal.

jmcclain19
01-28-2005, 11:03 AM
The News reports here have it that the logo will have a white outline to it and go on a black helmet.

It's a big step, the Cards have had the same logo for several decades. The fan base has been clamoring for something new since they moved to Phoenix in 1988, but other than adding a stripe to the jersey or socks, there has been no changes.

The unis are supposed to be a departure from what they have now.

Personally, I like it (It's my work desktop as of right now), it's a mild change to a long standing logo.

Glad to see a traditionally stuck up and uptight organization loosening the reigns. That's what happens when saavy sons take over for their uptight fathers, as Bill Bidwell transfers the Cards over to his youngest son Michael.

Hire a smart GM, who pushes for a radical coach, who then gets on board for a uni change, all for a new stadium.

A new attidute for one of the sorriest teams in pro sports. I love it.

Red Leader
01-28-2005, 11:23 AM
I think they took the Eagles logo and put it on an overhead projector and then took the old Cards logo and placed it overtop and redrew the boundary lines.

http://www.tiu11.org/~bbay/tn_philadelphia_logo.gif

What kind of crap is that for a "new look". It's the same.

jmcclain19
01-28-2005, 11:27 AM
Trust me, if you've been looking at the same tired logo for 16 years, it's not the same.

traderumor
01-28-2005, 12:52 PM
I think Cardinals is a sissy name for a football team in the first place. They are pretty and flutter, not exactly evoking images of smashmouth football, and I doubt that new image would scare even my smallest child.

In their own division, they have [Harry Kalas voice] hawks, tough old gold miners, and rams. Then you have [feminine voice] the Cardinals. Flutter, flutter.

Blimpie
01-28-2005, 12:58 PM
They are pretty and flutter, not exactly evoking images of smashmouth football, and I doubt that new image would scare even my smallest child.Tell that to Tippi Hedren....

jmcclain19
01-28-2005, 01:07 PM
The Cardinals are the oldest professional team in the NFL. Because of that fact alone they'll never change their name.

Red Leader
01-28-2005, 01:08 PM
Yea, since they are in ARI now and probably will be for some time, and want a "new image" why didn't they just re-name the team? Just for curiousity, I looked up birds in Arizona and there is only one type of cardinal found in Arizona, the Northern Cardinal. There are many, many other species that are found in Arizona. The state bird is the Cactus Wren. Probably not a great team name, but there are others that might work: Sandpipers, Thrashers, Owls, Warblers, even Hummingbirds. They could call themselves the Arizona Hummers.

Regardless, all better choices than that stupid loser Cardinal they have.

Yachtzee
01-28-2005, 04:40 PM
They were originally named for the color of their jerseys back in the Chicago days, so there really is no reason why they have to have a bird logo. In fact, they could go the Stanford route, drop the "s" and pick a mascot that has little to do with the bird or the color. If Stanford has the tree, how about Arizona taking a cactus?

RFS62
01-28-2005, 04:41 PM
Road Runners would be perfect.

Red Leader
01-28-2005, 04:45 PM

With this on the helmet?

http://www.chuckjones.com/pics/SC00019-big.jpg
Meep! Meep!

RFS62
01-28-2005, 04:48 PM
Meep?

You're not the bubble boy, are you?

westofyou
01-28-2005, 04:53 PM

That was the Phoenix WHA teams name (think Robbie Ftorek) Wranglers in the USFL.

The Cardinals predated the Bears in Chicago as the popular team and used to play in Wrigley Field, with one of the NFL's biggest stars Ernie Nevers (Bears had Red Grange though) if it wasn't for George Halas we might be talking about the Arizona Bears.

RFS62
01-28-2005, 04:57 PM
If they really want a desert animal with an attitude, they should rename themselves the Phoenix Javelinas.

A mutant pig with a nasty disposition.

http://helios.bto.ed.ac.uk/bto/desbiome/javel1.jpg

Red Leader
01-28-2005, 05:01 PM
Meep?

You're not the bubble boy, are you?

Why do you ask? You don't own any sharp, pointy objects do you? :MandJ:

RFS62
01-28-2005, 05:03 PM
No, just an obscure and off target reference to the "Moops" in the Seinfeld bubble boy episode.

It was a long way to go for not much. At least it's Friday.

Red Leader
01-28-2005, 05:06 PM
No, just an obscure and off target reference to the "Moops" in the Seinfeld bubble boy episode.

It was a long way to go for not much. At least it's Friday.

You picked the wrong guy to try and pull an obscure Seinfeld reference on, sorry. My bad. I was trying to think of John Travolta in that Boy In the Plastic Bubble movie.... :MandJ:

Red Leader
01-28-2005, 05:06 PM
BTW, I like the Javelinas idea. Those things are hella-nasty.

jmcclain19
01-28-2005, 05:07 PM
They were originally named for the color of their jerseys back in the Chicago days, so there really is no reason why they have to have a bird logo. In fact, they could go the Stanford route, drop the "s" and pick a mascot that has little to do with the bird or the color. If Stanford has the tree, how about Arizona taking a cactus?

Stop it. Your making too much sense here :mhcky21:

RFS62
01-28-2005, 05:08 PM
I was trying to think of John Travolta in that Boy In the Plastic Bubble movie.... :MandJ:

Yikes!!!!

That movie scares me much more than a mutant pig!!!

Redsfaithful
01-28-2005, 05:08 PM
If they really want a desert animal with an attitude, they should rename themselves the Phoenix Javelinas.

That looks like a really unpleasant animal.

RFS62
01-28-2005, 05:10 PM
If you REALLY want to name your team after the nastiest living thing in the Sonora desert, go with the Jumping Chollas.

You haven't lived until you run into one of these things.

http://www.blueplanetbiomes.org/images/teddy_bear_cholla2.jpg

jmcclain19
01-28-2005, 05:11 PM
Javelinas are weird. Normall nocturnal, they'll scare the crap out of you if your in the high desert and it's night.

I've been camping out in the desert during the winter, and been out trying to take a leak in amongst the cactus on two occasions and been nearly given a heart attack by those pigs.

Red Leader
01-28-2005, 05:12 PM
That looks like a really unpleasant animal.

Yea, that pig wouldn't be such a good thing to have barking up your backside.

Would look really nice on a football helmet, however. :thumbup:

westofyou
01-28-2005, 05:12 PM
If you REALLY want to name your team after the nastiest living thing in the Sonora desert, go with the Jumping Chollas.

You haven't lived until you run into one of these things.

http://www.blueplanetbiomes.org/images/teddy_bear_cholla2.jpg

I've lived... those things are a bear.

Red Leader
01-28-2005, 05:14 PM
John Madden could add the Javelinas to his tofurkey Thanksgiving combo as well....Jave-tofurkey.

RFS62
01-28-2005, 05:15 PM
John Madden could add the Javelinas to his tofurkey Thanksgiving combo as well....Jave-tofurkey.

:MandJ: :MandJ: :MandJ: :MandJ:

Red Leader
01-28-2005, 05:17 PM
Actually, it's turducken...so it would be Jave-turducken, but you got my point even when I totally screwed up the joke. Thanks for understanding. I'll be on medication all week....you've been great. Don't forget to tip your cows.

RFS62
01-28-2005, 05:23 PM
Javatofurkey was funnier.