PDA

View Full Version : Agent: Moss to be Traded to Raiders

Johnny Footstool
02-23-2005, 04:18 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/10972946.htm

Agent: Vikings trade Moss to Raiders

BY SEAN JENSEN

Pioneer Press

The Vikings have agreed to trade Randy Moss to the Oakland Raiders for starting linebacker Napolean Harris , the seventh overall pick in the upcoming draft and a 2005 late-round pick . Trades can be worked out although not announced until next month, and Moss' agent, Dante DiTrapano, told the Pioneer Press on Wednesday that the deal is done.

"Nothing is official until March 2," DiTrapano said. "But don’t be surprised if Randy Moss is wearing the Silver and Black this upcoming season."

Vikings vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski would only say, "We've had some discussions with them (the Raiders), but there is nothing to announce."

Despite repeated denials, the Vikings have been shopping Moss for months, and they found a willing suitor in Al Davis, a maverick owner who embraces controversial players.

"In speaking with Moss, although he has a lot of ties to Minnesota and did not particularly want to be traded, he’s very excited with the possibility of playing for Al Davis and being a part of the Raider tradition," DiTrapano said. "The Raiders have vowed to use Randy’s talents the way they should be used, and that’s to throw the ball vertically down the field.

"Randy’s desire to win a Super Bowl is enhanced with a move to a team like the Raiders, because the Minnesota Vikings seem to be in a constant rebuilding mode."

The Vikings will wind up with the seventh overall pick for the third time in the last four years. In 2002, they drafted left tackle Bryant McKinnie, a starter. Two years ago, they had the seventh pick but a botched trade with Baltimore resulted in them picking two spots later. Still, they landed the player they coveted, defensive tackle Kevin Williams, who has emerged into a Pro Bowl player.

The Vikings have the 18th pick in this year’s draft.

With the departure of Moss, the Vikings' top receiver is third-year receiver Nate Burleson. But the Vikings are expected to bolster that group via the draft or free agency. With a weak free agent class headlined by Pittsburgh's Plaxico Burress, the Vikings’ options could increase with potential salary cap casualties such as Isaac Bruce, Muhsin Muhammad and Derrick Mason.

The NFL Draft in April also offers two promising players, Michigan's Braylon Edwards and Southern Cal's Mike Williams.

Harris was selected by the Raiders with the 23rd pick in the 2002 NFL Draft, and he has recorded 249 tackles, 2.5 sacks, three forced fumbles, and five passes defended over the past three seasons. He is 6-foot-2, 255 pounds, and he can play inside and outside.

The Raiders will assume Moss’ $7.25 million base salary for next season while the Vikings realize a cap savings of nearly $2 million. Four seasons remain on Moss’ eight-year $75 million contract.

Sean Jensen covers the Vikings and the NFL. He can be reached at sjensen@pioneerpress.com.

NJReds
02-23-2005, 04:22 PM
Seems odd that they'd sign Joey Porter to a big $$$ contract and then trade for Moss.

Red Leader
02-23-2005, 04:24 PM
Hmmm, Jerry Porter and Randy Moss with a QB that is pretty good at throwing the deep ball in Kerry Collins. I'm guessing big year for Collins if they can some sort of help from a RB.

Stewie
02-23-2005, 05:06 PM
I don't know about this for Oakland. I think I would have just kept the 7th pick and drafted Mike Williams (or Braylon Edwards if still available). That's a lot of money they have wrapped up in WRs. Of course, Davis loves the big names.

RedsBaron
02-23-2005, 05:17 PM
Not surprising. Al Davis has always loved the deep pass and the Raiders have always been a home for controversial players. Moss fits on both counts.

Sabo Fan
02-23-2005, 07:40 PM
As a Viking fan this deal makes me sick. From everything I've read Harris is no better than what the Vikings already have at LB, and the seventh overall pick in this draft is probably comparable to a low-first rounder in recent drafts. So basically the premier WR in the NFL was traded for a first round pick and a crappy LB. Awful, awful trade if it's true. Hopefully this is just a ploy by the Vikings to incite a bidding war, but I don't think they're that smart. Definitely not a good day to be a Viking fan.

WVRed
02-23-2005, 08:58 PM
As a Viking fan this deal makes me sick. From everything I've read Harris is no better than what the Vikings already have at LB, and the seventh overall pick in this draft is probably comparable to a low-first rounder in recent drafts. So basically the premier WR in the NFL was traded for a first round pick and a crappy LB. Awful, awful trade if it's true. Hopefully this is just a ploy by the Vikings to incite a bidding war, but I don't think they're that smart. Definitely not a good day to be a Viking fan.

I disagree. I've been high on Napoleon Harris and feel he would be a solid MLB if given a chance to play there(with EJ Henderson in Minnesota, thats doubtful). He should push either Chris Claiborne(whos numbers were down) or Dontarrious Thomas for a starting spot.

The draft pick will give the Vikings some options at the receiving end as well. If Mike Williams is there, hes an option. Pac-Man Jones is another option at cornerback. Its a shame the Vikes biggest weakness wasnt RB, because one of the Auburn backs will be there as well.

The Vikings I doubt will be able to replace Moss, but there are some solid FAs available that could help with either Isaac Bruce, Lavernaeus Coles, or Plaxico Burress. I dont see the Vikings entering the season with Nate Burleson as the no 1 option.

As for Oakland, I dont see the Moss/Porter/Collins situation working. Collins has never been that great of a QB(most TDs he ever threw with the Giants was 22), and I cant see Moss splitting catches with Jerry Porter.

IMO, and im probably one of the few who think so, the Vikings won with this trade. They got a defensive player for Moss, along with a first round draft pick and with FA, they can shore up other areas. Moss's presence will be missed, but the wins and an overall better football team will keep the fans in the Metrodome.

Sabo Fan
02-23-2005, 09:39 PM
I disagree. I've been high on Napoleon Harris and feel he would be a solid MLB if given a chance to play there(with EJ Henderson in Minnesota, thats doubtful). He should push either Chris Claiborne(whos numbers were down) or Dontarrious Thomas for a starting spot.

The draft pick will give the Vikings some options at the receiving end as well. If Mike Williams is there, hes an option. Pac-Man Jones is another option at cornerback. Its a shame the Vikes biggest weakness wasnt RB, because one of the Auburn backs will be there as well.

The Vikings I doubt will be able to replace Moss, but there are some solid FAs available that could help with either Isaac Bruce, Lavernaeus Coles, or Plaxico Burress. I dont see the Vikings entering the season with Nate Burleson as the no 1 option.

As for Oakland, I dont see the Moss/Porter/Collins situation working. Collins has never been that great of a QB(most TDs he ever threw with the Giants was 22), and I cant see Moss splitting catches with Jerry Porter.

IMO, and im probably one of the few who think so, the Vikings won with this trade. They got a defensive player for Moss, along with a first round draft pick and with FA, they can shore up other areas. Moss's presence will be missed, but the wins and an overall better football team will keep the fans in the Metrodome.

You make some good points, and if the Vikings make all the right moves this offseason, then I may eventually agree with you. However, this is the Vikings we're talking about here and I speak from experience when I say that they rarely make the right choices (Chris Hovan, I'm looking at you).

Ok, here's what I think has to happen for this deal to work: sign CB Samari Rolle, WR Plaxico Burress and trade for a guy like Trevor Pryce or a DE/DT of comparable ability.

In the draft you take LB Derrick Johnson (I'll be praying every day that he's there at #7). Then they call up their good buddy Denny Green in Arizona and offer the #18 pick, Michael Bennett and maybe one of our surplus linebackers (E.J. Henderson, Dontarrius Thomas, doesn't really matter) if he insists on it to move up to #8 and take either Braylon Edwards or Mike Williams, whichever is available, because there is no way either of those guys is still around when it comes time for the 18th pick of the draft.

If all these things happen, and the odds of that are slim and none, then I would say it's not a terrible deal. What gets me about this trade is that there is nothing gained by doing this that keeping Moss and spending in free agency would not accomplish. The trade just doesn't make a lot of sense to me other than I admit that the organization was fed up with Moss' antics.

WVRed
02-23-2005, 10:04 PM
In the draft you take LB Derrick Johnson (I'll be praying every day that he's there at #7). Then they call up their good buddy Denny Green in Arizona and offer the #18 pick, Michael Bennett and maybe one of our surplus linebackers (E.J. Henderson, Dontarrius Thomas, doesn't really matter) if he insists on it to move up to #8 and take either Braylon Edwards or Mike Williams, whichever is available, because there is no way either of those guys is still around when it comes time for the 18th pick of the draft.

The Cardinals are supposedly close to trading LJ Shelton to the Bills for Travis Henry, so I dont see that happening.

I dont see Derrick Johnson going down that far. If I had to pick, id say Cleveland would get him with Crennel trying to rebuild the Browns defense and the lack of O-Line available.

Mutaman
02-23-2005, 10:54 PM
As a Packer fan I am very happy. Now we can stop drafting defensive backs in a futile attempt to stop Moss. Good bye Randy.

ramp101
02-23-2005, 11:00 PM
Collins to Curry-Porter-Moss

wow

reds1869
02-24-2005, 11:59 AM
As a Marshall alum I cringe when I see Moss's name in print; I never know whether it will be good or bad. Supremely talented athlete, supremely unpredictable human being.

This trade makes sense for Oakland, but I'm not sure about the Vikes. Maybe they will be better off without his distractions, but I strongly suspect they will win no more than 5 games next year. He is simply too big a part of their offense to replace overnight.

Sabo Fan
02-24-2005, 05:42 PM
The Cardinals are supposedly close to trading LJ Shelton to the Bills for Travis Henry, so I dont see that happening.

I dont see Derrick Johnson going down that far. If I had to pick, id say Cleveland would get him with Crennel trying to rebuild the Browns defense and the lack of O-Line available.

I heard the Shelton for Henry deal too, but after nearly a decade of Denny Green being your favorite teams' coach, you learn that there is very little Denny won't do to get one of "his guys." Not saying that the Henry deal won't happen, it probably will, but what I am saying is that Denny has done stranger things.

As for Johnson, I doubt he'll be there at seven as well, but I don't think it will be the Browns that take him. I think they take Alex Smith and let him sit for a year, but that's another debate.

This trade makes sense for Oakland, but I'm not sure about the Vikes. Maybe they will be better off without his distractions, but I strongly suspect they will win no more than 5 games next year. He is simply too big a part of their offense to replace overnight.

Ok, I'm down on the Vikings at the moment too, but I'm not 5-11 down. I'll grant you that as it stands right now, this is a sub-.500 team in all likelihood. However, I hold out hope that they will spend early and often in Free Agency and if they draft like they have the past few years I'll think they'll be ok. There really isn't anyone in the NFC North that will dominate either, so the door is wide open.

wheels
02-24-2005, 10:12 PM
I think the Vikings are much better off for making this deal.

It replaces one cancerous, but supremely talented player, with three or four other opitons. If this is done properly, the Vikings can really plug some holes.

Great trade.