PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Best/Worst Ballparks -- Rank Your Ballparks

larryboy
05-04-2005, 01:42 PM
Leaving out GAB due to assumed homer bias, what are your fav top 3 parks? I figured not focussing on the losing in one thread might not be a bad thing.

1- SAFECO in Seattle, awesome place to see a game, allows you to see from everywhere and lots of areas to get very close with players, also a great park for families for families

2 - Wrigley - Chicago just a personal fav

3 - SBC in San Fran both SBC and SAFECO replaced two of the worse places to ever see a game the Kingdome and Candlestick SAFECO seemed a bit more family friendly so I gave it the edge but if I was not with the family SBC might get the nod - new ballparks that got it right (new Comisky a ballpark that got it wrong)

Red Thunder
05-04-2005, 01:52 PM
Talking about present stadiums:

1) PNC Park (Pittsburgh)
2) Fenway Park (Boston)
3) Dodger Stadium (LA)

Honorable mention: Bank One Ballpark in Phoenix (my first game ever), Coors Field and Comerica Park

flyer85
05-04-2005, 01:54 PM
seeing as I have only been to three currently in use
1) Coors
2) GABP
3) Kauffman

BRM
05-04-2005, 01:57 PM
I've only been to two currently in use: Coors and Kauffman. I hope to get to GABP this summer.

OldRightHander
05-04-2005, 01:59 PM
I have been to Wrigley a few times and really enjoyed it up there. I really like Kauffman too. I made a game there a couple years back. I didn't care much for Miller Park when I went there once. The renovation at Busch is nice, but it's still a big bowl. I guess my favorites that I've been too would have to be Wrigley and Kauffman with honorable mention to Tiger Stadium. I've always had a fondness for the old ones. That place was dirty, but there was something about it.

DeadRedinCT
05-04-2005, 02:01 PM
Including GAB, I've only been to five current stadia.

1) PacBell Park - great setting

2) Oriole Park at Camden Yards - the new "original"

3) Fenway Park - tremendous atmosphere

flynn78
05-04-2005, 02:03 PM
I would have to say:
1. The Artist Formerly Known as Pac Bell- Unbelievable to look at the Bay all day
2. Wrigley- The atmosphere is unreal. It is not just a game, it's a happening.
3. GABP- There is just something about our quaint little park that hits the spot.

OldRightHander
05-04-2005, 02:03 PM
Oh, I forgot about Coors. I lived out there for a few months and I went to a couple games there. It was nice, but I don't know if it makes my all time favorites list. There are a few that I haven't been to that I would like to see as well: Fenway and PNC being a couple of them.

CincyRedsFan30
05-04-2005, 02:05 PM
1) Wrigley Field- Despite the fans ;)

2) Yankee Stadium- Just because the history

3) PNC Park- Haven't been there, but have heard good things about it

(I like GABP too)

Ryan the Reds Fan
05-04-2005, 02:11 PM
1. Yankee
2. PacBell
3. Wrigley

Just to walk into Yankee stadium and feel the history is amazing, look out to monument park and just think of the things that have happened and the people who have played on that field. A bit surreal.

LincolnparkRed
05-04-2005, 02:12 PM
1) Camden Yards - Just a fun atmosphere, helped that phillies were in town

2)Ball park at Arlington - Just an impressive place from the outside and in.

3) Riverfront - getting to see the 1990 WS makes it an all time fave

M2
05-04-2005, 02:15 PM
1) Fenway, atmosphere counts

2) Yankee Stadium, like being in the Roman Colliseum

3) Pac Bell, or whatever it's being called these days, it turned San Francisco into a baseball town

3a) Camden Yards, better now that it's no longer hip

I haven't been to PNC, so it didn't make my list, but it looks spectacular on television.

Stewie
05-04-2005, 02:35 PM
1. Camden Yards - Good stadium, very nice location.
2. Yankee Stadium
3. Jacobs Field - Definite highlight of my visit there was when a slightly intoxicated, slightly overweight middle-aged woman weighing a slightly smaller shirt than she should have been threatened to punch my buddy in his face b/c he was laughing as she was having trouble climbing over seats

Honorable mention: The Vet! (R.I.P)

HotCorner
05-04-2005, 02:36 PM
I've been to five current parks and my top three are ...

1. PNC Park - Great location. Great view. Great accessibility. Great $$ value.
2. Coors - Great view of the Rocky Mountains. Great accessibility. Very good $$ value.
3. Camden - Awesome location (inner harbor of downtown Baltimore). Great configuration. Average $$ value.

Honorable mention: GABP, Memorial Stadium, The Vet, Fenway, Skydome

BTW - I've been to GABP and wouldn't put it above any of the above.

Parks that I'd like to visit ...

1. Wrigley
2. PacBell
3. Jacobs
4. Safeco
5. Ballpark at Arlington

Little Alex
05-04-2005, 02:40 PM
I like how in San Diego, for 5 bucks, you can bring a picnic basket and go sit in the lawn beyond the OF. Nice touch.

I Like in Wrigley how you always see the young guys, sitting on their rooftops drinking beer, watching the Cubs game. Nice touch.

I like the swimming pool in the OF in Arizona. Nice touch.

The waterfall in KC is pretty cool too.

GABP? Dunno... the "tallstacks" are cool, I guess. :rolleyes: I'm one of those people that thinks the best place they could have put GABP was right where Hughes High School is now. Tear that thing down, take all the junior thugs with you, replace it with GABP and BOOM, instant growth centered around a college environment. Bars and restaurants everywhere. Growth growth growth.

Instead... I swear watching the game last night, I could actualy hear individual conversations from the fans. I could actually hear the air. There were what? 30 people at the game last night. For the Cards? Yeah... nice location. Really shows off our dingy river and abandoned downtown. :help:

05-04-2005, 02:41 PM
GABP
Wrigley
Tiger Stadium

M2
05-04-2005, 02:47 PM
Honorable mention: The Vet! (R.I.P)

Egad! I imagine the parking lot which sits on the old Vet site is more aesthetically pleasing.

When I was a kid we got 4th of July seats right below the cannon they used to have in CF. The Phils hit a bunch of homers that game and we left the game in a nearly deafened state.

schroomytunes
05-04-2005, 03:00 PM
The one's I liked the best, and I have been to them are;
1)Petco Park-beautiful downtown stadium,perfect outdoor atmosphere
2)Yankee Stadium-the greatest of all time have played there!
3)Riverfront-I've seen so many games there, I miss the old cookie cutter, just can't give up the memories. sorry :)

larryboy
05-04-2005, 03:03 PM
For the record biggest dump - Shea

GIK
05-04-2005, 03:08 PM
Top 3 that I have been to:

1. Safeco (Mariners)
2. Wrigley (Cubs)
3. Comerica (Tigers)

And yes, larry, the biggest dump that I've sat in would have to be Shea.

klw
05-04-2005, 03:12 PM
I have only been to three currently used stadiums- Fenway, Busch, and Jacobs Field. Of the three Fenway is my favorite due to the atmosphere and intimacy. The stadium I went to the most and actually really miss is Olympic Stadium in Montreal. I know that sounds crazy but I loved going there when I lived in Vermont. The exchange rate just made it that much more affordable. You could park under the stadium for $6, get bleacher seats for $4, and there were no lines for anything. Once you had the $4 seats ($6 canadian) you could move virually anywhere in the stadium to sit. A buddy of mine had a great reaction one game. He went to get something to eat and came back with a huge grin, a beer and a sausage hoagie. He said something like "Dude I love this place. I gave them $20 American and they gave me a beer. food and $24 Canadian back."
I remember walking in on game day, paying $24 to sit 5 rows behind the Giants bench, getting to see Bonds pinchhit with his 57th homer that year to win the game, and then had him wave to his daugther who was two rows in front of us. I also remember seeing the Expos and Dodgers play there right before the '94 strike in front of a sold-out crown. Now that was loud. The seats made such a cool noise when fans would bang them down. Best Reds experience was there a few years ago when I saw the Reds beat the Expos 17-3 or something like that right before the end of the year.

RFS62
05-04-2005, 03:16 PM
Yankee Stadium, Camden Yards, Crosley Field

Stewie
05-04-2005, 03:18 PM
Egad! I imagine the parking lot which sits on the old Vet site is more aesthetically pleasing.

When I was a kid we got 4th of July seats right below the cannon they used to have in CF. The Phils hit a bunch of homers that game and we left the game in a nearly deafened state.

Well, the lot isn't quite finished yet (it's only been a year and a half), but admittedly, it is a pretty good looking parking lot.

I am definitely not sorry I missed out on the cannon.

Super_Barry11
05-04-2005, 03:27 PM
Not including GABP, my faves are-

1) PNC
2) Yankee Stadium
3) Turner Field (I like those gigantic baseballs for each team)

I've also been to Comerica, Jacobs Field, Shea Stadium, Tropicana Field, and Mile High Stadium (before Coors Field, of course).

jmcclain19
05-04-2005, 03:40 PM
Maybe I'm quirky

Kingdome - Yeah, it was a concrete monster, but each time I went the atmosphere was incredible. I saw a game in late July where Griff, Edgar and Jay Buhner had back to back to back extra base hits in the bottom of the 9th to win the game, and it felt as if the roof was going to come off. This was a worthless game in the dead of summer.

Petco Park - Grass out in Centerfield is a smart, smart move. Makes it much more laid back and Spring Training esq. Lots of quirks, great views in the three different sections of the ballpark I've sat in. Not quite like LA fans, Pads fans show up on time and seem to care about whats going on in the field.

Turner Field - Smart fans, albeit ones who don't care all that much thanks to a decade of winning. Ballpark is top notch.

Fenway - Nothing quite like it.

Thumbs Down - Bank One Ballpark - Not the facility, I go to 10-15 games at the BOB a year, and the facility is great. It's the management where I find fault. I'm sorry, but when it's 85 degrees outside, and you're playing an afternoon game, you open the roof. Baseball was meant to be played outside, not inside because one sliver of fans doesn't like how bright the stadium is when it's open or pompous pitchers somehow believe that they pitch better with the roof closed. My tax dollars went to a ballpark with a retractable roof, that's rarely used. The weather in Phoenix in April, early May and late Sept is probably amongst the best in the country. And they play baseball inside during that time. Smart move. Ok, BOB rant over.

TOBTTReds
05-04-2005, 03:43 PM
Not a lot of love for Comerica in Detroit. i thought it was a great stadium.

1. Wrigley
2. Comerica
3. Crosley Field (in Blue Ash, where I played my home baseball games a few years ago)
4. Great American Ballpark
5. Busch Stadium (good fans as usual, a lot of character there)
6. Jacobs Field
7. Skydome
8. Comisky Park
9. Riverfront
10. Cleveland Municipal
11. Candelstick Park

That's a solid little list, I'm only 20 yrs old. I got many more to go.

Yachtzee
05-04-2005, 04:32 PM
GABP Excepted:

1. Wrigley - Before we were married, my wife lived down the street from Wrigley. You could see the light standards out her front window.

2. PNC - really is a nice ballpark. Only dig...the way they angled the seats, it's weird when you have seats down the line in the outfield. It's like the person next to you is almost in your lap.

3. Dodgers Stadium - I've been there twice and enjoyed it both times. You can hear Vin Scully in your head as you watch the game.

Honorable Mention
Tigers Stadium
Fenway
The Jake
Canal Park - Akron, OH

Me No Likey:
Old Cleveland Municipal Stadium - now there was a dump. Urine smell wafted from the bathrooms. Cavernous stadium on the lake required winter parkas for games in May. It was cool that you could just about go wherever because of the sparse crowds.

Yankees Stadium - the stadium was nice and the history is impressive. Unfortunately, when I was there it was filled with Yankee fans.

New Comiskey/US Cellular Field - very much a concrete bowl. intentionally cut off from surroundings, so that you don't have to see the (now demolished?) Robert Taylor Homes

M2
05-04-2005, 04:48 PM
klw, Olympic was great. Ugly but great. 48 oz. beers, poutine and smoked meat. That's living.

klw
05-04-2005, 04:53 PM
M2
Another great part about Olympic was knowing the players could hear anything in the stands. It made you want to actually yell encouragement or in the case of Carl Pavano yell to the opposing batters what the pitches were going to be. I one game I saw him throw against the Mets his pitch selection was incredibly predictable. Everytime he had two strikes he went to the same slider.

Big Klu
05-04-2005, 05:01 PM
Current Stadiums:

1) PNC Park, Pittsburgh -- Absolutely GORGEOUS!
2) Great American Ballpark -- Home Sweet Home...Don't like the "Power Stacks" (a.k.a. Roman Candles), though
3) Jacobs Field, Cleveland -- OK, but I was a little disappointed after hearing all the fanfare from the Tribe fans I know.
4) New Comiskey Park, Chicago -- I had good seats, and I had a good time there, so I give it better marks than most others do. Being cut off from the surroundings is not a bad thing in this instance. (Very bad neighborhood)
5) Miller Park, Milwaukee -- Has a novel feel. The roof was open, but you still feel like you are indoors. Far away from EVERYTHING! It is literally in the middle of a cow pasture. Has the most beautiful Little League park I've ever seen, built on the grounds.

Discontinued Stadiums:
1) Riverfront Stadium -- I still occasionally miss the old girl.
2) Tiger Stadium, Detroit -- I could feel the history...I remember looking to CF and saying to myself, "Ty Cobb played there."
3) Three Rivers Stadium, Pittsburgh -- Holds a special place for me because I saw my first Reds road game there (Game 4 of 1990 NLCS). Riverfront's sister...if you like one, you will probably like the other.

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-04-2005, 06:27 PM
Of the parks I've been to:

1. Coors Field - awesome setting in a great downtown neighborhood; crisp, cool mountain air; mountain scene with waterfall in outfield; rockpile seats; Coors products on draft :thumbup:

2. Yankee Stadium - you can almost feel the ghosts when you walk inside

3. Wrigley Field - would be No. 1 if it wasn't for the unbelievably obnoxious team/fans that call it home

4. PNC Park - what GABP could have been

5. (tie) old Tiger Stadium - the outfield upperdeck overhang was a great feature

5. (tie) old Riverfront Stadium - a lot of history for a 30-year-old park. And home runs there just seemed to look a lot better than at other parks

5. (tie) Dodger Stadium - an ideal baseball setting

Bottom 3

1. Comerica Park - it's really boring there, not much to do around the park

2. Fulton County Stadium - a really bad version of Riverfront

3. GABP - Sorry, but it just seems like it could have been a lot better. That big, black box in center field is atrocious; nothing to do outside the park in the surrounding neighborhood; huge corporate logo of Great American Insurance on the scoreboard (unlike other new parks that all have the team logos)

reds44
05-04-2005, 06:33 PM
Well I have been to (current) GABP,Wrigley,Comiskey,Miller Park,Fenway,Yankee Stadium, Comerica Park, and Skydome.

My favorites would probably be

1) Miller

2)GABP

3) Skydome

bucknutdet
05-04-2005, 07:02 PM
I like GABP and The Ballpark in Arlington is pretty nice, it's a huge structure. Yankee Stadium is a bit rundown, but hey a lot of history in the house that Ruth built. Shea is all that great.
For purposes here and the parks i've been to
1. Yankee
2. Ballpark in Arlington
3. Great American (but I really like it)

beb30
05-22-2005, 02:15 PM
Who has the best? The worst? Compile a list.........

Cedric
05-22-2005, 02:17 PM
I've been to PNC, Gab, Jacobs, Slugger Field, and Wrigley. PNC by my view is the best. And I like them all a little better than GAB. And that doesn't mean GAB is a bad park, I've just been to some great one's.

beb30
05-22-2005, 02:23 PM
Out of the ones i've been too ill rank them like so:

1) PNC Park
2) Citizens Bank Park
3) Safeco Field
4) Camden Yards
5) Fenway Park
6) Wrigley Field
7) Yankee Stadium
8) Jacobs Field
9) Miller Park
10) Comerica Park
11) Great American Ballpark
12) Cinergy Field (reconstructed)
13) Tropicana Field
14) Cinergy Field

my 5-7 were pretty hard to vote in order b/c they are so historic, those 3 were all amazing ive come to realize its hard to rank historic parks to the new ones.......Great American Ranks as low as it does b/c i believe the Reds could have done alot better however i know its not 100% complete so they could move up pending on how it finishes up

KearnsyEars
05-22-2005, 02:28 PM
the jake and camden are the best of the new era parks

Stewie
05-22-2005, 04:30 PM
Out of the ones i've been too ill rank them like so:

1) PNC Park
2) Citizens Bank Park
3) Safeco Field
4) Camden Yards
5) Fenway Park
6) Wrigley Field
7) Yankee Stadium
8) Jacobs Field
9) Miller Park
10) Comerica Park
11) Great American Ballpark
12) Cinergy Field (reconstructed)
13) Tropicana Field
14) Cinergy Field

my 5-7 were pretty hard to vote in order b/c they are so historic, those 3 were all amazing ive come to realize its hard to rank historic parks to the new ones.......Great American Ranks as low as it does b/c i believe the Reds could have done alot better however i know its not 100% complete so they could move up pending on how it finishes up

You like Citizen's Bank Park that much? I sort of feel the same way about it as you fel about GABP, it's nice, a definite upgrade over the previous stadium (although the Vet had its own particular charm), but it just could have been better. My problem is just the fact that there just isn't much to do around the ballpark, unlike Camden Yards, which has the Inner Harbor a couple blocks away. Although, admittedly, the location of CBP was the most logical place for it, and there is enough free parking around and easy entrance to the freeway. But still, the area is just missing something. Plus, there just isn't anything in the ballpark that sets it apart from other stadiums, a must see while you are at the park. Personally, I would lump it together with Jacobs Field and GABP, and behind Camden Yards.

beb30
05-22-2005, 04:56 PM
I dont know i really liked the view of the city for CBP. CBP like many other ballparks actually looked like they knew what they were doing such as the statues actually looking nice and placed well, lots of banners and things. There were was a place out in center field that was like a balcony which u could overlook the whole stadium. It also had a Mcfaddens there as well as the exp just seemed more than a baseball game it was more like an event to hang out at.......GABP our statues look fake, are placed in the middle of grass, everything looks unorganized and isnt that great of an attraction....not much to do.

RDriesen16
05-22-2005, 05:06 PM
of the new ones, gabp is the worst. and i dont think its close. they did a horrible job on it

KySteveH
05-22-2005, 08:44 PM
of the new ones, gabp is the worst. and i dont think its close. they did a horrible job on it

I have heard lots of folks say this, but why do you think so? The only thing I really dislike is the black thingy in center.

Raisor
05-22-2005, 08:53 PM
The Kingdome always got a bad rap (well, it deserved it) BUT they always had the best hotdog sauce on the Earth. It was this mustard/relish/mayo thingy that was tremendous, or at least it tasted good to this 12 year old kid.

smith288
05-22-2005, 08:57 PM
regarding GABP...

Ill go out and say it... the "power stacks" are stupid. If they wanted something that looked like riverboat smokestacks and a wheel...they failed. And the bats on top of the stacks looks little league.

Its a fine park on the playing surface (as is usual in any big league park) but everything else, inlcuding the ushers is bush league imho.

The_jbh
05-22-2005, 08:58 PM
Yeah everyone says they hate GAP but i've never heard many good reason. I like the place. It's not as flashy as Comercia or some of the other newer stadiums but i like the it looks from the inside. Granted my list of visited Stadiums isn't very long, Cinergy, GAP. Busch, Camden, and Arlington, but i don't think its a bad stadium. Explain what exactly is wrong with it? enlighten an ignorant one haha

Shaknb8k
05-22-2005, 10:27 PM
When taking in Great American Ballpark I dont think you can just go to a game and thats it. Come to the games a few hours early and walk around the stadium, Read the quotes and look at the large newspaper's from major dates, check out the statues at the front gate. If you do all that then Great American Ballpark is really nice. Now for me what puts Great American at the top is if you take in EVERY part of the "complex". Make it a whole day. Spend hours in the hall of fame and then go over to the field. When talking about just the ballpark in general then PNC is the winner. But when taking in the whole baseball experience, The Reds Hall of Fame puts Great American Ballpark at the top of my list.

SYCMiniBus
05-22-2005, 10:36 PM
of the ones I have been too:

1). Wrigley Field
2). Yankee Stadium
3). Comerica Park
4). Great American
5). Jack Murphy
6). Jacobs Field
7). Cinergy
8). Busch Stadium (though Busch has the best game day atmosphere)

Cedric
05-22-2005, 10:52 PM
PNC was so great because of the stadium and you walk out of the game to great bars. It's in a perfect location. I loved everything about Pittsburgh.

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-22-2005, 11:09 PM
Yeah everyone says they hate GAP but i've never heard many good reason. I like the place. It's not as flashy as Comercia or some of the other newer stadiums but i like the it looks from the inside. Granted my list of visited Stadiums isn't very long, Cinergy, GAP. Busch, Camden, and Arlington, but i don't think its a bad stadium. Explain what exactly is wrong with it? enlighten an ignorant one haha

I'll be happy to give some of my reasons. But first, here is my current ranking of the ballparks I have been to:

1. Coors Field -- Is this heaven? No, it's Colorado
2. PNC Park -- What GABP could/should have been
3. Yankee Stadium -- Any current ballpark that Babe Ruth has actually batted in will score major points with me
4. Wrigley Field -- See No. 3 (However, the fact that the Cubs play here detracts from it in my book)
5. Old Tiger Stadium -- An overwhelming majority of Tigers fans surveyed by The Detroit News earlier this year said the Tigers should ditch Comerica and MOVE BACK to old Tiger Stadium
6. Dodger Stadium -- Simple yet beautiful baseball atmosphere
7. Riverfront Stadium -- Like R2D2, it was ugly and utilitarian but boy did it have some character
8. Jacobs Field -- The imposing stacks of luxury boxes ruin this park for me
9. Comerica Park -- It looks great but something just SEEMS a little off here
10. Old Cleveland Municipal Stadium -- Baseball wasn't meant to be played in such a monstrosity
11. Great American Ball Park
12. Bank One Ballpark -- Ugh

I might lose some rep points for "being negative," but Great American Ball Park was a major disappointment. First of all, the park is three years old and it's still surrounded by a huge empty lot with mounds of dirt. There is absolutely NOTHING to do around the park on the Cincinnati side of the river, unless you consider that horrible InBetween Tavern to be Major League-quality. That's not entirely the Reds fault (not entirely but definitly somewhat -- the Reds were adamant about not building the ballpark at Broadway Commons, which would have almost certainly blossomed into a destination point had a ballpark been built there. The Reds insisted on the tired riverfront, partly to avoid the pre-game competition from the inevitable bars and restaurants that would have sprung up at Broadway, and this is what we got.) It may not seem like a big deal to some, but while some ballparks are surrounded by ESPN Zones, Hard Rock Cafes and rows of unique sports-themed bars, we have one dilapidated bar in the GABP vicinity.

Here are some of my other problems with GABP, in no particular order:

* We're in the third season of baseball there and they can't seem to get the grass right. The outfield is spotted with lighter green splotches of grass. It just doesn't have that lush green feel with freshly mowed lines in unique designs that some other parks have.

* That black building in center field is atrocious. What were they thinking? Coors Field has a mountain scene with a waterfall in the same location. Other parks have trees and fountains. It's a horribly uninteresting piece of architecture and completely inconsistent with the rest of the ballpark -- but hey it makes money. (Right John Allen?)

* The huge Great American Insurance logo atop the outfield scoreboard. Most other new parks put the team logo in huge neon atop their scoreboards -- Indians, Phillies, Rockies, Braves. The Reds put a big insurance company logo. Boring. Takes away a big hometown feeling when you really can't identify with the Reds from any permanent feature of the park besides the small "Home of the Cincinnati Reds" sign below the press box.

* The "Hamilton County, Ohio welcomes you to Great American Ball Park" sign over the main entrance. Odd, to put it nicely.

* I don't have a big problem with the concept of riverboat smokestacks in the outfield, but that thing doesn't look anything like what you would see on the Delta Queen or the American Queen. I like that it shoots fireworks but what are those two "eye" things? Ridiculous.

* Only place to buy tickets is at the main ticket booth at Second and Main. If you're walking across the bridges from Newport (and that's where most of the pre and post-game activities are), you have to walk all the way around the ballpark to buy a ticket. Then, if you buy a seat in the outfield, you have to walk all the way back. Stupid.

* The Reds said when GABP was opening that they didn't want to copy the "retro" look of some other new parks. My question is: What's wrong with that? GABP looks like they tried too hard NOT to make it look retro. Instead it looks like a new Wal-Mart. It's shiney and brand-spanking new, sure. But it's uninteresting. The main concourses are dull with not a lot to do. The upper deck concourse on the first base line looks exactly like Riverfront's red seat concourse. And try walking around the outfield concourses -- it's filled with narrow, concrete-lined passageways that really go nowhere.

* The scoreboard graphics are lame. That faux newspaper they show before almost every batter is really unimaginative. The bugle charge sound is weak. That "GO (thump thump) GO (thump thump) GO (thump thump)" is creepy and I will take Riverfront's Mr. Reds Race any day over the current version. Seattle races boats around Puget Sound, Colorado racers start at Pikes Peak and finish at Coors Field. The three Reds racers run around cones set up on a baseball diamond.

In short, for what GABP cost, it seems like we were seriously short-changed. It doesn't inspire any love for the game on its own (neither did Riverfront really, but it wasn't meant for that). GABP came on the heals of some great parks -- PNC, SBC Park, Safeco, Camden Yards -- so I base it by what it COULD have been.

smith288
05-22-2005, 11:42 PM
Great post! But im out of rep points today. :D

Cedric
05-22-2005, 11:44 PM
I can't help but agree. GAB isn't terrible, but like everything else around this organization it seems halfway done. I hate beating a dead horse, but anyone that wants to see a real ballpark go to Pittsburgh.

beb30
05-23-2005, 12:00 AM
I
* That black building in center field is atrocious. What were they thinking? Coors Field has a mountain scene with a waterfall in the same location. Other parks have trees and fountains. It's a horribly uninteresting piece of architecture and completely inconsistent with the rest of the ballpark -- but hey it makes money. (Right John Allen?)

* The huge Great American Insurance logo atop the outfield scoreboard. Most other new parks put the team logo in huge neon atop their scoreboards -- Indians, Phillies, Rockies, Braves. The Reds put a big insurance company logo. Boring. Takes away a big hometown feeling when you really can't identify with the Reds from any permanent feature of the park besides the small "Home of the Cincinnati Reds" sign below the press box.

* The "Hamilton County, Ohio welcomes you to Great American Ball Park" sign over the main entrance. Odd, to put it nicely.

* The Reds said when GABP was opening that they didn't want to copy the "retro" look of some other new parks. My question is: What's wrong with that? GABP looks like they tried too hard NOT to make it look retro. Instead it looks like a new Wal-Mart. It's shiney and brand-spanking new, sure. But it's uninteresting. The main concourses are dull with not a lot to do. The upper deck concourse on the first base line looks exactly like Riverfront's red seat concourse. And try walking around the outfield concourses -- it's filled with narrow, concrete-lined passageways that really go nowhere.

* The scoreboard graphics are lame. That faux newspaper they show before almost every batter is really unimaginative. The bugle charge sound is weak. That "GO (thump thump) GO (thump thump) GO (thump thump)" is creepy and I will take Riverfront's Mr. Reds Race any day over the current version. Seattle races boats around Puget Sound, Colorado racers start at Pikes Peak and finish at Coors Field. The three Reds racers run around cones set up on a baseball diamond.

In short, for what GABP cost, it seems like we were seriously short-changed. It doesn't inspire any love for the game on its own (neither did Riverfront really, but it wasn't meant for that). GABP came on the heals of some great parks -- PNC, SBC Park, Safeco, Camden Yards -- so I base it by what it COULD have been.

In short i totally agree with all this.....i would have loved to have seen a big White or red "C" reds logo on top of our scoreboard that would make the ballpark look 10 times nicer. I also believe alot of the ballparks are surrounded by ESPN Zones, Hard Rocks, etc. give the ballpark some character and give people other things to do so its more of an attraction. I mean when u go to the game there is simply nothing to do other than watch a game, and like an earlier post i have looked at all the quotes and such but its just plain dull and not creative. I also hate the fact that we just had to have it put by the river. PNC was an exception walking across the bridge there to go there was amazing and when u look out from the park its a city skyline unlike the Kentucky hills here. We should have put it in Broadway Commons and had a Cincy skyline to look at. Instead we walk down thru the city look at a big whole in the ground, see the offices and the reds hall of fame/dugout store and thats about it. Our statues were so uncreative its ridiculous, you go to other stadiums and there statues have 1 person in a different section doing some sort of pose and they are built upon bricks, concrete, or something of the like. Now at GABP we have our statues all in the middle of some grass it looks horrendous :thumbdown

Simply put Great American Ballpark was a Great American Disappointment

Jpup
05-23-2005, 12:39 AM
I like GABP a lot. Compared to the stadiums that I have been to, it's great.

alex trevino
08-14-2005, 07:30 PM
Just curious what are some of the Best/worse ballparks you ever visited? I went to RFK last week and felt the place was in pretty bad shape, but had an otherwise great time in DC. Here are my lists

Best
1. PNC Park
2. GAB
3. Old Tiger Stadium
4. Camden Yards
5. Minute Maid Park
6. Candlestick park
7. Yankee Stadium
8. Jacobs Field
9. Wrigley Field
10. Turner field
11. Comerica Park
12. Old Comisky

* I have never been to Fenway

Worst

1. RFK - to be fair they had very little time to prepare for the season

2. Cleveland Muncipal Staduim - about froze to death up there at a game in june!

3. New Comisky - When it first opened it was pretty bland - I understand they have made some improvements

4. Dodger Stadium - I know this might rile up the westcoast zoners but I did not find the park appealing at all! To be fair I onlty saw one game here and that was from the left field stands. I remember we had a hard time finding the park.

5.Busch Stadium - nothing special

NJReds
08-14-2005, 07:33 PM
I'll add to your list (there are quite a few I haven't been to).

Best:
SBC (San Fran)...outstanding.
GAB
Camden Yards
Yankee Stadium

Worst:
The Vet...looked like an empty swimming pool. Good riddance
Shea...just awful

Gainesville Red
08-14-2005, 07:53 PM
NJ's right, SBC is absolutly unbelievable.

dlconn
08-15-2005, 03:30 AM
I have been to 24 of the current and five of the old stadiums. I thought I put in my two cents. I have an affinity for the newer stadiums, so I have probably rated them higher.

My dad and I are taking our 4th annual baseball trip. This year we are hitting Turner. the Trop, and Dolphins Stadium.

1. Jacobs - I love the white steel. I get giddy every time I come into view of the stadium. Also, the Jake has the best mustard in the world.
2. Camden Yards – the B&O warehouse make a great backdrop
3. GABP – I know I am biased, but every time I go I get to see the Reds play.
4. Turner – The monument grove and the outfield entrance have a great atmosphere.
5. Coors - The entrance is one of my favorites.
6. PNC – probably one of the best views in baseball with Roberto Clemente Bridge in the background.
7. Dodgers - It is a classic.
8. Kauffmann – The Dodger Stadium of the AL.
9. Yankee – I got to see the Rocket’s first game as a 40 year old.
10. Fenway – I saw a Zito - Lowe match up in 2002. Probably would have been higher if I have had better seats.
11. Riverfront – this is probably higher than it should be, but going there as a kid I the 70’s and 80’s was always memorable.
12. The Ballpark at Arlington – I love the shot of the Ballpark in the Rookie where the taxi brings Dennis Quaid there,
13. Bank One, Phoenix – It reminds me a lot of Miller
14. Miller, Milwaukee - It reminds me a lot of the BOB
15. Safeco, Seattle - I missed the first half of the game, but it was one of Ichiro’s first games, so it was still exciting.
16. Comerica, Detroit – I really like the statues in the outfield, but I g t a really bad sunburn that day.
17. Busch – the best multi-purpose stadium.
18. Enron / Minute Maid - Nice, but a little too quirky in the outfield.
19. New Comiskey –I really like this one probably more than I should.
20. Edison / Angels
21. Qualcomm – Reminded me a lot of Riverfront.
22. Wrigley – I know this is pretty low, but I am not the biggest fan. Every time I have gone the weather has been bad, getting there is a hassle, and it is full of Cubs fans.
23. Pro Player/ Dolphins - It’s a football stadium. Just look at the name.
24. Municipal, Cleveland – I got to see one of my favorite non-Reds, Reggie Jackson, hit a homerun when I was 7. I was wondering why we had to sit so far away when there where som many empty seats.
25. Olympic – I must have gone to one of the few sellouts there in the last years.
26. Tropicana – They try hard.
27. Skydome – It’s GINORMOUS!
28. Metrodome – It’s not the best place for baseball, but the teams have been decent lately.
29. Veterans – All I can say is its gone.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-15-2005, 12:18 PM
I agree with much of what Reds/Flyer's fan has to say about GABP.

Regarding things to do outside the stadium. It would be great if they could close down the road behind the stadium (Mehring Way?) and just make it a riverwalk with bars and restaurants. If they did that, maybe they could also put another ticket office down there so that people coming from that side don't have to walk all the way around the stadium.

I know they probably need that road, but it would be great if they could do this. The atmosphere around the stadium is flat out embarrassing.

The stadium itself looks incomplete. Way too much exposed concrete. The cages behind the bullpens are tacky looking. The Sun/Moon deck is a good idea (to take something from Crosley) but I would love to see an upper deck in RF, for monster blasts by Dunn and Griffey to land into. I mean, it's not like they can hit it into the river (like the Bay in SF), so why not have an upper deck to make the park more cozy. It just seems like they ran out of money towards the end and took some shortcuts. I agree that the smoke stacks and batter's eye are pretty cheesy. I remember reading a review somewhere that said the design is schizofrenic with no flow. I agree with this. Just a bunch scattered ideas that don't go together.

The Wedge. I was disappointed with it. I like the kids zone area and the front entrance, but agree that there should be other points to enter the stadium. The entrance (steps) to the bleachers in LCF is pathetic. The first time there, I almost left the stadium (gate) thinking that's where the steps were.

They really needed to take more of Crosley and incorporate it into the design. It was like they tried to take 10 different styles to please everyone and run with it. I know it's been copied by Houston already, but why not a terraced OF somewhere, to pay tribute to Crosley? I mean, this city has so much history and baseball tradition and it's a shame that more of that history is not incorporated into the designs of this park.

Honestly, If I knew they were going to take this many shortcuts, I'd have preferred they put 100-150 M back into Cinergy. It was actually starting to look good.

My ranking of stadiums I've been to:

1. Pac Bell -SBC
2. Jacobs Field
3. Wrigley
4. Cinergy (2001)
5. Great American Ball Park
6. Municipal Stadium
7. Riverfront
8. Three Rivers

Caseyfan21
08-15-2005, 12:50 PM
The stadium itself looks incomplete. Way too much exposed concrete. The cages behind the bullpens are tacky looking. The Sun/Moon deck is a good idea (to take something from Crosley) but I would love to see an upper deck in RF, for monster blasts by Dunn and Griffey to land into. I mean, it's not like they can hit it into the river (like the Bay in SF), so why not have an upper deck to make the park more cozy. It just seems like they ran out of money towards the end and took some shortcuts. I agree that the smoke stacks and batter's eye are pretty cheesy. I remember reading a review somewhere that said the design is schizofrenic with no flow. I agree with this. Just a bunch scattered ideas that don't go together.

The Wedge. I was disappointed with it. I like the kids zone area and the front entrance, but agree that there should be other points to enter the stadium. The entrance (steps) to the bleachers in LCF is pathetic. The first time there, I almost left the stadium (gate) thinking that's where the steps were.

Funny you talk about making it more cozy. I brought two friends down from school for a little road trip back in April. One friend is from Cleveland and the other from San Fran. Both of them said the same thing about GABP: it looks like it got jammed into the space where it was built. It struck me because of the whole wedge site and how they put it in so close to everything else. I agree with them that compared to other newer parks, it is more like a Fenway, built up instead of out. I guess this is good because it gives upper deck fans a closer experience, but it doesn't look as appealing on the inside.

I personally love the entrance with the statues and the terraced hill going in. Everytime I go to a game, I love how there is that nice open space with the bricks, team shop, statues, and the like where everyone kind of congregates. If only they could build an outfield entrance like Pittsburgh's, the exterior would be great. Inside, I just wish we had more neat architectural design. I mean the park is pretty much like one you would make in a video game. I love in Pittsburgh with all of the different seating areas and how busy the inside of the stadium is. With GABP, it's like the designed the whole outside, then just shoved a standard configuration on seats inside it, too boring. I do like the power stacks and the batter's eye. You have to have a black backdrop in center field so making it into a party type of area was much nicer than just a big black screen like in many parks. I also love the extras like the fanzone, HOF, and teamshop. Also, GABP has some excellent food variety compared to other parks.

Overall, here is how I would rate my favorites (only stadiums I have toured or been to a game at):

1.) PNC, Pittsburgh - great park, great view, just love the interior design, it's truly a complete package.

2.) Fenway - I love the history here, and the coziness to it with the smallest attendance in the majors. With many of the new renovations set to occur, it will catch up with the current parks.

3.) Jacob's Field - been quite a few years since I've been here, but the Indians did it right. Love the scoreboard and the picnic area in center. Also it is very fan friendly.

4.) GABP

5.) Wrigley - cool on the outside and gotta love the history. But the inside is rather dated from what I have heard (only walked around outside so this probably isn't a fair ranking).

6.) Skydome - very neat design, although not very baseball friendly. I love the hotel out in the outfield and the Hard Rock restaurant was a cool feature. Not a great place to watch a game compared to newer parks though, too big.

Yachtzee
08-15-2005, 12:57 PM
Every non-Reds fan I've spoken to who has been to GABP (5 in total...I know, small sample size ;)) has raved about it. I just don't understand why the harshest critics are always the Reds' fans themselves.

BCubb2003
08-15-2005, 01:04 PM
GAB and the Jake are fresh in my mind, so I'll compare the two.

The Jake is beautifully designed architecture. I was surprised by the elegant mix of steel, glass and stone.

It's also well-placed in the city, with a great view of tall big-city buildings.

But it also feels a little closed in, like a garden carved out of a canyon.

The concourse at the Jake is nice. Almost mall-like.

The scoreboard puts on an impressive show.

But...

I kind of like GAB's openness, even though some people would rather have a view of a dramatic skyline than of the Kentucky shoreline.

I kind of like the way GAB's scoreboard focuses on baseball in an understated way, and is not such a logo explosion.

But the Great American logo is kind of a flimsy billboard. It lacks character or dimension or something.

Maybe the pitching would be better if the batter's eye wasn't such a good batter's eye. It's a big black hole of light back there.

I wonder if you could build and rent apartments on top of it.

The stadium "neighborhood" still suffers from the isolation of the highway, the bridges and the differences in elevation between the downtown and the riverfront.

It's just not a natural walking around kind of neighborhood. But then, the Jake has a few nice hotels and a great footprint, but the streets around it aren't exactly a boardwalk of happenings.

But Cincinnati's Hall of Fame is world class.

NJReds
08-15-2005, 01:16 PM
Coming from out-of-town, I have to say that I liked GAB better then Camden Yards.

Camden's neighborhood is nothing to speak of, either. The "buildings" that it looks out onto are a few hotels. The warehouse is a nice touch (and beats out the smokestacks by a longshot), but it was wall-to-wall people down that street...very difficult to get to vendors. And the concourse inside the park was a bit narrow. It's much easier to get around GAB.

The hotels in downtown Cincy were better and lower priced then the hotels in downtown Baltimore. I've heard that it's better to stay on the Kentucky side, anyway -- which I may try next time I travel to Cincinnati.

wheels
08-15-2005, 01:39 PM
While I have critisims of The Great American Ballpark, and I agree with alot of what's being said on this thread, I also like GAB.

Alot.

It's wide open and breezy, yet delightfully intimate. There's no doubt that when you go there, you'll be taking in America's Pastime.

I just feel gooood when I'm there. Maybe it's riverboats with the caliope's playing as the game's going on, maybe it's the little rag timey type bands that are playing before and after the games. It does feel like Baseball to me.

Would I love for them to splurge on some paint to cover that hideous exposed concrete? Sure.

Would I like to see 'em spruce up the area surrounding the park? Yup.

But those onion wheels are really, daggone cool.

KearnsyEars
08-15-2005, 01:57 PM
Yankee Stadium
Jacobs Field
GABP

deltachi8
08-15-2005, 03:28 PM
Just the ones I have been to:

1) PNC
2) Fenway
3) Camden Yards

George Foster
08-16-2005, 12:08 AM
I know very few people would agree with me but I wish they had built GAB in Northern KY and had the skyline of Cincinnati in the outfield like it is in Pittsburgh. That is a great stadium, with the best view from homeplate in baseball, its worth the trip. I think GAB is nothing special, it could have been better.

Does anybody remember the above-ground-pool that Atlanta Fulton Co. Stadium had in the outfield in the early 80's? They were beggin' fans to come see those bad teams! I do miss WTBS showing all the Braves games. I am a life long Reds fans, but I learned "the game" by watching all of those Braves games as a kid. The Reds were only on TV during certain road series. The only home Reds games I got to see on TV was when the Braves played in Cincy. All ESPN shows are Boston, Boston, Boston...I'm sick of it.

My favorite 3 stadiums:

1) Chicago 2) Pittsburgh 3) New York (Yankee Stadium)

REDJAKE
08-16-2005, 09:45 AM
Original Pac Bell in the city most beautiful for me to see a game just an amazing setting for an evening out at the ballpark.My son gets railing seats on second deck over third base i don't even care who is playing that is my mecca.Hard for me to pick a bad one there all good just some better than others. Hmm where have we heard that before?GO CINCY!!!!!

GullyFoyle
08-16-2005, 08:31 PM
To add my rankings for the ballparks I've been to:

Top Tier: Fenway, SBC/Pac Bell, Safeco, GABP
(minors: Louisville, Dayton, Sacramento)

Middle: Yankee
(minors: Providence)

Bottom: Coliseum-Oakland

The only thing I'll add is about the Colesium since it seems to be a less seen one. Your typical cement stadium but with more personality than the Riverfront design. Went to see the Reds when they were in town and Griffey was chasing 500 and was able to get great tickets. Have gone back a couple of times and have enjoyed myself but mainly because you can get great seats on the cheap. This makes up for the overall poor architecture, but this is probably true everywhere :)

Anyone else care to mention their minor league stadium thoughts?

reds1869
08-16-2005, 08:40 PM
1. PNC Park
2. Jacobs Field
3. Pac Bell

VI_RedsFan
08-17-2005, 10:01 AM
1. Fenway
2. GABP
3. Wrigley (I really don't want to say this because I hate the cubs and their fans, but it is a great ballpark)

indyred
04-25-2006, 11:56 PM
Cool read here......My goal is to someday hit them all.........as of right now here are my rankings.....
1. PNC Park.......like most in here have said.....it's just about perfect....if you haven't been there....go and step on it.......
2. Miller Park...I loved it there.....roof was open when I went, so that helped..it's big......love the exterior and brick work....nice statues of Yount and Aaron outside........the outfield area is cool...with bernie's slide (should have incorporated the mug in there)....nice walkways out there, cool scoreboard........
3. GAB.....I like the place and agree with other's have posted about it...more could have been done........i could see if it came before some of these other's..but already knowing how some of these other parks were done and people loved them....why be so different.......I like nook and cranies in the field as well...GAB is just such a standard short field.....i wish outfield had a really deep area.....the white look from outside makes it look so sterile......
4. Yankee Stadium........i'm kinda bais towards the new parks......it's nice and for history it's great.....hallways were real small......
5. Wrigley Field.....went there when I was in college about 10 years ago....sat in the outfield.....nothing special, but for history again....it was fun to see the ivy walls.......great atmosphere, poor amenties.....
6. Tropicana Field........It's a better dome than my last place stadium....seemed like a shopping mall there.........
7. Metrodome........growing up in Minnesota it was park i went to the most.....i remember being pretty little and first time going there thinking it was the coolest thing ever having a dome stadium and being there.......but that wore off and I grew to hate the place..especially when you see other parks........

My next new park visit is going to be Jacobs Field this summer.....It seems to have mixed reviews in here so far......any tips for visiting there....i'll take them...