PDA

View Full Version : Gotta love gas prices

Reds4Life
05-19-2005, 02:04 PM
I'm driving to work this morning and regular gas is $1.82/gallon at all 3 stations I pass. Coming back from lunch around 1pm I drive past those same 3 stations and regular gas is now $2.09/gallon.

Hmmm, a 27 cent price increase in about 4 hours time. I'm watching CNBC Market Report right now and crude oil is still under $48/barrel and is only up by .10 today.

There is no price fixing though. :barf:

savafan
05-19-2005, 02:10 PM
I feel your pain, I've seen it go up as high as $.38 a gallon in a day lately. The thing is, when it goes down, it doesn't go down as low as it was, and when it goes back up, it goes way higher than before.

05-19-2005, 02:13 PM
It always goes up when my tanks is low, and the price falls when I am full. I gather from this either my automobile or I wield some control over this. I will try to stop this fluctuation.

Jaycint
05-19-2005, 02:14 PM
You know it's a sad day when I am turning cartwheels in the parking lot when I see gas is $1.98. What have we come to?

registerthis
05-19-2005, 02:15 PM
My girlfriend and I were driving home through central D.C. the other day, and passed a station selling regular unleaded for $3.16 a gallon.

Screw that.

zombie-a-go-go
05-19-2005, 02:15 PM
Heh... wait until next weekend.

Jaycint
05-19-2005, 02:16 PM
My girlfriend and I were driving home through central D.C. the other day, and passed a station selling regular unleaded for $3.16 a gallon.

Screw that. :eek:

Reds4Life
05-19-2005, 02:18 PM
Heh... wait until next weekend.

I'm thinking regular will be in the $2.30-$2.40/gallon range for Memorial day, they make me sick.

05-19-2005, 02:21 PM
A few local stations here are selling the E85 blend, but I am not sure if my car is compatible, and I really don't feel good about trying it as it is. It is cheaper, but it often causes MPG to decline, so I wonder if the savings are worth it? Even if it is compatible, could there be some risk down the road?

registerthis
05-19-2005, 02:33 PM
:eek:
Makes me glad we have a Metro system.

To be fair, I bought some last night from a station in suburban Maryland for $2.27/gallon. Which still, you know, sucks...but it beats $3.16!

Roy Tucker
05-19-2005, 02:35 PM
Kroger is running a deal where if you buy $100 worth of groceries (which we do on almost a daily basis with 3 teens), you get 10 cents off per gallon on your next fillup.

I filled the van up for $1.73/gallon. Woo.

TeamCasey
05-19-2005, 03:48 PM
I try to plan for Wednesday fill-ups.

Yachtzee
05-19-2005, 04:07 PM
Kroger is running a deal where if you buy $100 worth of groceries (which we do on almost a daily basis with 3 teens), you get 10 cents off per gallon on your next fillup.

We have the same up here with Giant Eagle, except that you get $.10 off for each $50 worth of groceries. My wife and I just let it roll over, so that the other day I filled up for $.37 a gallon. Woo Hoo! I filled up the tank for slightly less than $6.

deltachi8
05-19-2005, 04:08 PM
$2.25 here in Buffalo.

ws1990reds
05-19-2005, 04:20 PM

Now, if I could get $100 worth of "healthy" groceries (vegetables, fruits, milk, etc.), I'd bite. Like they would let someone do that, there has to be a catch. For a $.10 drop in gasoline? Nah. I'm not that gullible. :laugh:

Roy Tucker
05-19-2005, 04:37 PM
Now, if I could get $100 worth of "healthy" groceries (vegetables, fruits, milk, etc.), I'd bite. Like they would let someone do that, there has to be a catch. For a $.10 drop in gasoline? Nah. I'm not that gullible. :laugh:
???

Since we shop there anyhow, I'll gladly take the $.10 reduction. Their gas prices are very competitive.

I don't think they care if it's $100 worth of tofu and bean sprouts or $100 worth of beer and Doritos. It's whatever you purchase from the store, period.

The choice of what you buy is ultimately up to you.

westofyou
05-19-2005, 05:11 PM
I don't think they care if it's $100 worth of tofu and bean sprouts or $100 worth of beer and Doritos.
It's the green they're after afterall.

BTW ya'll quit your crying, gas is over $2.50 here.

Rojo
05-19-2005, 05:14 PM
One solution:

In investing they have something called "dollar-cost" averaging. The idea is to buy the same dollar amount of a stock in fixed intervals. That way, you're buying fewer shares when the stock is high and more when its cheaper and you don't even have to pay attention.

Ergo, maybe you could put $40 bucks in every Wednesday (or whenever) no matter how full or empty your tank.

Of course, I haven't had a car in 10 years. I'm moaning because my bus pass might go up by $10 a month.

RedsBaron
05-19-2005, 05:31 PM
I paid $2.35 a gallon yesterday for premium, so I'm guessing regular was $2.15. I've got to believe the era of cheap gas is permanently over. Even though prices will go up and dow, the increasing demand for oil by countries such as China and India will probably keep prices high.

Red Heeler
05-19-2005, 05:36 PM
A few local stations here are selling the E85 blend, but I am not sure if my car is compatible, and I really don't feel good about trying it as it is. It is cheaper, but it often causes MPG to decline, so I wonder if the savings are worth it? Even if it is compatible, could there be some risk down the road?

A "regular" gasoline engine will not run on E85. Only cars equipped with "flex-fuel" engines can run ethanol percentages that high. Your car will run on ethanol blends up to E15. At 15% ethanol, you shouldn't see any decrease in fuel economy. Ethanol does have less energy per gallon than gasoline, but it has a higher octane rating, meaning that it burns more efficiently than gasoline.

UKFlounder
05-19-2005, 07:47 PM
I've got to believe the era of cheap gas is permanently over.

Or maybe just the perception of what "cheap" now means. As others mentioned above, seeing gas for under $2.00/gallon now is a good sign, while a few months ago, it still shocked me to see it that high.

guttle11
05-19-2005, 08:24 PM
I got gas for 1.87 today at rons bp in miamisburg.

SanDiegoRed
05-19-2005, 08:50 PM
Gas has dropped here in San Diego to $2.49 a gallon...That is down from $2.75+

Red Leader
05-20-2005, 10:58 AM
Enjoy!

http://www.superlaugh.com/1/gasprices.htm

Sean_CaseyRules
05-20-2005, 11:01 AM
In a speedway in hilliard reg. gas was $1.76, and if you got a car wash it was 1.71! i was happy, lol

savafan
05-20-2005, 11:06 AM
Here's a good website for finding the cheapest gas prices close to you via zip code search:

http://gaspricewatch.com/usgas_index.asp

Unassisted
05-20-2005, 11:29 AM
You folks in Ohio are seeing some crazy pricing. IIRC, your prices topped the $2.00 mark a month before they did here. Now, you're seeing prices 25c less than we're seeing here.

BuckU
05-20-2005, 01:24 PM
I'm thinking regular will be in the $2.30-$2.40/gallon range for Memorial day, they make me sick.

Maybe not....according to the Columbus Dispatch...

Gas prices remain low as holiday weekend nears
Traditional spike for Memorial Day might not happen, local expert says
Friday, May 20, 2005
Tim Doulin
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Travel experts are predicting that a record number of Memorial Day travelers will be greeted by record high holiday gas prices.

Still, it could be worse.

"It is very likely prices will remain fairly stable," said Susan Stewart, AAA Ohio Auto Club’s spokeswoman. She said prices often spike around the holidays.

Nationally, the cost of a gallon of regular gasoline dropped a dime to $2.14 in the last month. But that is still 14 cents higher than a year ago, a record at the time.

A gallon of regular gasoline costs an average of $2.03 in Ohio, down 12 cents in the past month and about 3 cents higher than a year ago.

In central Ohio, the average price is $2.05 per gallon, up from $2 a year ago and $2.03 a month ago.

AAA also is predicting about 37.2 million people will travel at least 50 miles from home this holiday, a record number. About 31.1 million of those travelers are expected to travel in motor vehicles.

Healthy national storage inventories and a lack of any major refinery or distribution issues, such as a pipeline break or refinery fire, have helped send prices down, Stewart said.

"Call it luck or whatever, but that has kind of been on our side," she said.

Predicting gas prices, however, is more of an art than science, Stewart cautioned.

Salem Gas, an independent station on Sinclair Road, was charging $1.99 a gallon yesterday, up 13 cents from Wednesday.

Munir Salim, manager of the gas station, said he sets the price based on how much he paid for the product and a survey of gas prices at other stations in the area.

Some had predicted that gas would cost $2.35 a gallon by Memorial Day weekend, but Salim said he doesn’t see that happening.

"They are going to go up, but I don’t think they will go as much as everyone was predicting — unless something big happens," he said.

Pat Veddern, a "spotter" for a Web site that monitors gas prices in the area, said he’s been shocked to see gas prices dip recently. He too expects them to rise again in time for Memorial Day weekend.

"I’m anticipating that, so I’m not going to go anywhere," said Veddern, a North Side resident.

"I’ll stay home."

tdoulin@dispatch.com

Jaycint
05-20-2005, 02:24 PM
Here's a good website for finding the cheapest gas prices close to you via zip code search:

http://gaspricewatch.com/usgas_index.asp

Thanks for the link Savafan. I used to be the guy that never even took notice when I pulled into the gas station, in fact I used to ridicule my friends that would drive an extra 3 miles just because the gas was $0.07 cheaper down the road. You know it's bad when I have resorted to checking for the best price.