PDA

View Full Version : Rumors: Everybody's getting fired and Bowa will do it all consolidated thread

Dr. Johnson
05-18-2005, 12:38 AM
My sourses tell me that Miley and the entire coaching staff will be fired after Sunday's game. Larry Bowa has been contacted and told to put together a coaching staff. He has not agreed to the two year deal offered, he want's a three year deal...developing....

Larry Schuler
05-18-2005, 12:41 AM
I heard it was Monday.

remdog
05-18-2005, 12:42 AM
I've never been particularly a fan of Bowa's.

Rem

Buckeye33
05-18-2005, 12:44 AM
2 posts with insider info....

Interesting rumor though. If they were going to fire Miley, why not just do it before the homestand and at least give the fans something to get remotely excited about.

Dr. Johnson
05-18-2005, 12:45 AM
Bowa is the only coach out there, he is "hardnose"! That is what we need, someone to get into their face and fire them up!

RBA
05-18-2005, 12:45 AM
Bowa? You got to be kidding me? Is it April's Fools day again?

penantboundreds
05-18-2005, 12:46 AM
Who are guys and how do you know? I'd love the move, and I'm sorry for my skepticism, but I've heard worse rumors here.

KearnsyEars
05-18-2005, 12:48 AM
no way...gut this team

Larry Schuler
05-18-2005, 12:49 AM
I was just joking. I don't know if the first guy was though.

WVPacman
05-18-2005, 12:49 AM
I hope this is a joke b/c it would be foolish to fire Miley this early in the season.I did'nt like when they fired Tony Perez in just 44 games and I sure won't like it if they fire Miley like that.

CincyRedsFan30
05-18-2005, 12:54 AM
Dr. Johnson, if you are going to post information like this, it would be prudent to give a bit more information, such as how you got this information and why we should trust that you are telling the truth.

wally post
05-18-2005, 12:57 AM
I dislike Bowa a WHOLE LOT. That said, I think it's better than what we have. A strong armed pilot would at least offer perspective to the team - if nothing else, for them to band against him. A guy like him would also stand up to higher ups because he's "been there and done that". I only wish it was an interim situation. He'll end up messing all of us up (and the Reds of course :D) by the end of the year. Just my immediate thoughts about this, if it becomes true.

Neo
05-18-2005, 01:34 AM
To bad the Reds lost out on the chance of landing Jim Tracy, he has to be one of the most underrated coaches out there. I know it is the Dodgers, with the whole big market perspective.. but there was a lot of criticism going into this season with the moves DePodesta made. Fact is he has done nothing but put together four consecutive winning seasons.. and on pace for his fifth.

WMR
05-18-2005, 01:42 AM
Dr. Johnson, hmmmmm..... And just what do you purport to be a Doctor of if I may be so BOLD ???

:redface: :fineprint :rant: :censored: :rant2: :rant2: :bash: :angry:

KronoRed
05-18-2005, 02:13 AM
Bowa?

We already had him..when he was named Bob Boone

TheBurn
05-18-2005, 02:34 AM
Should DanO be next to go?

pedro
05-18-2005, 02:40 AM
I've kind of liked Bowa on BB Tonight, but he still my very most hated player of all time after all those philly vs. reds playoff series during the 70's. I'm not sure how easy it would to embrace another philly, especially Bowa, after enduring Boone already.

Although.... maybe the Reds could benefit from having a manager that will hog so much of the spotlight keeping it off the players themselves. Let's face it, Dave Miley is about as compelling a news story as a sale on tube socks at big lots. He's practically invisible.

Jpup
05-18-2005, 02:48 AM
if this happens to be true, Danny Graves is out as closer for sure.

Ron Madden
05-18-2005, 04:05 AM
I think it's too early to give up on Miley.

But if he is fired you can keep all your talk about bringing in a new "Coach"
This aint football or hoops, They call 'em Managers in Baseball ;)

Wheelhouse
05-18-2005, 05:41 AM
Please--Miley is a good manager--this team, because of past horrors, has an us against them attitude: they distrust management, they have contempt for the fans, and they hold their playstation buddies in higher esteem than the coaching staff. Breakup the "friends" of '99 and we'll be getting somewhere. Lousy management and coaching in the last five years has fostered a cloistered and ignorant team, that can do nothing but "love each other" in tough times. This clubhouse needs to be broken up and re-molded, not catered to. Can you believe Danny Graves was considered a team leader and invited to a dinner by Dan O as such? C'mon, he's a lousy pitcher with a PR problem. And please, Danny was not the beginning of all that: Aaron Boone's profanity and profane getures toward the fans when he was in a slump (and I'll bet there were some five year olds in eyesight of that) was a telltale sign of the effite '99 team. All heart and no professionalism. If they aren't being cheered and praised constantly, they get knocked of the rails. Weak. PURGE THEM.

MrCinatit
05-18-2005, 07:04 AM
ahhhhhhhhhhhh...rumours are like you the "family friend" which hung around your house when your were young...the one nobody wanted.
Nobody knows where they came from, they always seem to be around, they pop up at the most inopportune time, and they usually end up being full of the biggest bunch of bull to be found anywhere.

sorry, but i will only believe it when i read it from an official source.

macro
05-18-2005, 08:10 AM
My sourses tell me that Miley and the entire coaching staff will be fired after Sunday's game. Larry Bowa has been contacted and told to put together a coaching staff. He has not agreed to the two year deal offered, he want's a three year deal...developing....

Yes, my sources are telling me the same thing! My sources are telling me that Bowa's staff will be filled out by Greg Luzinski, Garry Maddox, Bake McBride, Manny Trillo, and Steve Carlton. Oh, and 81-year-old Danny Ozark will be Bowa's bench coach. My sources are telling me that the new coaching staff will insist that the Reds wear powder blue uniforms during road games.

WVRedsFan
05-18-2005, 08:35 AM
Yes, my sources are telling me the same thing! My sources are telling me that Bowa's staff will be filled out by Greg Luzinski, Garry Maddox, Bake McBride, Manny Trillo, and Steve Carlton. Oh, and 81-year-old Danny Ozark will be Bowa's bench coach. My sources are telling me that the new coaching staff will insist that the Reds wear powder blue uniforms during road games.

OK, you had me until the power blue uniform line. Graves would never agree to that :laugh: .

RedsFan75
05-18-2005, 08:42 AM
OK, you had me until the power blue uniform line. Graves would never agree to that :laugh: .

But wouldn't he look just so darling in the power blue. :evil: :luvu: :ughmamoru

fs43340
05-18-2005, 08:45 AM
I hope this is a joke b/c it would be foolish to fire Miley this early in the season.I did'nt like when they fired Tony Perez in just 44 games and I sure won't like it if they fire Miley like that.

The fish hired Jack Mac the 3rd week of May in '03, and they won it all.

However, Firing Miley and the coaches at any point of the season would be mute. The problem is much higher up than them.

Garrett
05-18-2005, 08:57 AM
Jim Leyland is available. Why go for Larry Bowa. Leyland could possibly be another Jack Mckeon

OnBaseMachine
05-18-2005, 09:04 AM
Fire Miley, hire Davey Johnson or Larry Dierker!

membengal
05-18-2005, 09:07 AM
Please--Miley is a good manager--this team, because of past horrors, has an us against them attitude: they distrust management, they have contempt for the fans, and they hold their playstation buddies in higher esteem than the coaching staff. Breakup the "friends" of '99 and we'll be getting somewhere. Lousy management and coaching in the last five years has fostered a cloistered and ignorant team, that can do nothing but "love each other" in tough times. This clubhouse needs to be broken up and re-molded, not catered to. Can you believe Danny Graves was considered a team leader and invited to a dinner by Dan O as such? C'mon, he's a lousy pitcher with a PR problem. And please, Danny was not the beginning of all that: Aaron Boone's profanity and profane getures toward the fans when he was in a slump (and I'll bet there were some five year olds in eyesight of that) was a telltale sign of the effite '99 team. All heart and no professionalism. If they aren't being cheered and praised constantly, they get knocked of the rails. Weak. PURGE THEM.

Without passing judgment on the post or its sources...if that should come to pass, I would be fine with it. I am not hugest Bowa fan, but someone with a little fire in that dugout would be nice to see for a change. Maybe he could yell at O'Brien too...

Steve4192
05-18-2005, 09:15 AM
If the Reds do choose to fire Miley in-season, I would hope that they go the 'interim manager' route. The last thing I want to see them do is hire some unemployed retread just so they can have a 'name' in the dugout. I'd much rather see them wait until the offseason when there are more managerial candidates available, especially among the ranks of the guys who are on their way up rather than just hanging on.

NCRed
05-18-2005, 09:17 AM
I doubt this would happen. Why wait for Sunday. Pull the trigger now ! Bowa would not be the guy BUT Jim Leyland. I think he has the right "moxie (as someone said the Reds needed)" to turn this team around. Pitching included

guttle11
05-18-2005, 09:21 AM
I for one would like to see them give Miley a fair shot, BUT, if that rumor turns out to be true, I wouldn't be against it.

Something HAS to be done. This team is WAYYY to talented to be playing like this. Maybe they need someone, like Bowa, to come in and fire these guys up. Dan Patrick says it all the time, if you have a players coach, then you go to a hard-nosed disciplinarian.

Let's Face it, yes, the biggest problems with the team are upstairs, but they aren't going anywhere. DanO is too cheap, plus, as much as we all criticize him, its only year two. We have to give him more time. ANd Lindner wants to be the "king" of Cincy, so as long as he's breathing he will hold the team.

Go Reds!!!!

Steve4192
05-18-2005, 09:23 AM
No amount of 'moxie' is going to revive the Reds pitching staff. Their problem is not that they are are short of moxie, it's that they are short on talent. 'Moxie' isn't going to make an 88 mph straight fastball any less crushable.

NCRed
05-18-2005, 09:25 AM
U probably are right about talent vs Moxie. But lets start pitching more aggressively inside and if we hit a few people a good basebrawl may shake things up. Our pitchers are so hittable. Still could start pitching for the corners and not through the heart of the plate.

Steve4192
05-18-2005, 09:27 AM
Let's Face it, yes, the biggest problems with the team are upstairs
Last I checked, DanO has yet to give up a gopherball, Lindner has yet to make an error, and John Allen has yet to hit into a GIDP. The problem with the Reds is there is a lack of talent between the lines, mainly on that raised circle of dirt on the middle of the infield.

The front office bears responsibility for assembling this group of bums, but it is the bums themselves that are racking up the losses.

Team Clark
05-18-2005, 09:32 AM
That would be great!!

Joseph
05-18-2005, 09:44 AM
The more I listen to Bowa on XM every morning, the more I think he might be able to at least make things entertaining for a while. I say it's worth a shot, but only if the coaching staff goes with him.

guttle11
05-18-2005, 09:53 AM
Last I checked, DanO has yet to give up a gopherball, Lindner has yet to make an error, and John Allen has yet to hit into a GIDP. The problem with the Reds is there is a lack of talent on between the lines, mainly on that raised circle of dirt on the middle of the infield.

The front office bears responsibility for assembling this group of bums, but it is the bums themselves that are racking up the losses.

good point, but, what is the situation in the minors? The team is not devoloping players. They are great in the minors, but bomb in the big leagues. I like DanO's 75 pitch count 8-man 4-day rotation, but it is too early to call.

the scouting dept is in shambles. Every draft pick the Reds have made in the last few years, since kearns and dunn, have been disappointments. Yes injuries have played a role, but a good scout should be able to tell by mechanichs which players are more injury-prone. and Who was the idiot who took Jeremy Sowers?? when he said BEFORE the draft that he was going to Vanderbilt.(probably Bowden)

Every time the Reds change Managers, the coaching staff changes as well. All except for one man Don Gullett. He needs to go, he has not devoloped a pitcher in a LONG,LONG time. its time someone in the front office wakes up and sees that.

Maybe you are right. Maybe I am, who knows?? all I care about is getting the Reds back where they belong, and I think it starts in the front office.

Sabo17
05-18-2005, 10:05 AM
Davey Johnson, very intresting. I think that would actually be a good manager to have...

Red Leader
05-18-2005, 10:09 AM
Personally, I think its time for change. DanO didn't want Miley to start with. The way I see it, if Miley is fired, and DanO brings in "his guy" and that guy fails as well, maybe the accountability goes to DanO, and starts uncovering what really needs to be done (danO gone, new GM brought in). Probably still a few years off even best case scenario.

Steve4192
05-18-2005, 10:11 AM
Maybe you are right. Maybe I am, who knows?? all I care about is getting the Reds back where they belong, and I think it starts in the front office.
Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to send the whole front office packing, but I am not willing to give the players a free pass. This team stinks because the players have played horribly. Granted, the front office is the reason those players are on the team in the first place, but it is still the players who are getting slaughtered on the field.

deltachi8
05-18-2005, 10:13 AM
I like Miley the guy, but I dont think he has distinguished himself as a the right guy fo rthis team. So I would welcome a change. Bowa? I'm not thrilled about that, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I would prefer Davey Johnson, but I also prefer redheads and well, none seem to be lining up outside my office right now. Wait lemme check...nope, none yet.

Red Leader
05-18-2005, 10:15 AM
I also prefer redheads and well, none seem to be lining up outside my office right now. Wait lemme check...nope, none yet.

me too, and unfortunately, me too. :laugh:

flyer85
05-18-2005, 10:15 AM
"Stay Hot"

They can't hire Bowa, I would miss him on the XM Home Plate morning show.

flyer85
05-18-2005, 10:17 AM
Dr. Johnson, hmmmmm..... And just what do you purport to be a Doctor of if I may be so BOLD ???

:redface: :fineprint :rant: :censored: :rant2: :rant2: :bash: :angry:Maybe he is a Johnson Doctor?

flyer85
05-18-2005, 10:19 AM
Last I checked, DanO has yet to give up a gopherball, But he gave the pitchers that have an awful lot of cash.

DeadRedinCT
05-18-2005, 10:22 AM
I think it would be cool if they hired Bowa. The team wouldn't necessarily perform better but they would be more interesting.

Of course, after two months I would get tired of observing his act and want him replaced.

traderumor
05-18-2005, 10:28 AM
One thing that is evident, Bowa wasn't the problem in Philly. Their problem was sitting up in the press box trading for Endy Chavez. He's still there. Bowa? Not sure how he manages a game, but I'd bet he'd hack off some of the vets. I wonder if he'd be good or bad for FeLo's development? He might be a bit brash for him to thrive.

MartyFan
05-18-2005, 10:48 AM
good point, but, what is the situation in the minors? The team is not devoloping players. They are great in the minors, but bomb in the big leagues. I like DanO's 75 pitch count 8-man 4-day rotation, but it is too early to call.

the scouting dept is in shambles. Every draft pick the Reds have made in the last few years, since kearns and dunn, have been disappointments. Yes injuries have played a role, but a good scout should be able to tell by mechanichs which players are more injury-prone. and Who was the idiot who took Jeremy Sowers?? when he said BEFORE the draft that he was going to Vanderbilt.(probably Bowden)

Every time the Reds change Managers, the coaching staff changes as well. All except for one man Don Gullett. He needs to go, he has not devoloped a pitcher in a LONG,LONG time. its time someone in the front office wakes up and sees that.

How many drafts has DanO been in charge of?

How long did the Brewers farm system totally suck before they got recognized as one of the best in Baseball.

I have zero problem letting Miley and the entire coaching staff go...no comparison to the Tony Perez firing...Miley is in his second season and Perez was making his first call from the bench.

IMHO I think we would be fine to cut Gully, Miley and Hume and keep the rest of the staff.

I HATE the idea of Bowa coming in here...Leland I'd like to see, but I am afraid he wouldn't take on the headache.

westofyou
05-18-2005, 10:48 AM
Hmm... Bowa was JUST great in San Diego, then in Philadelphia he pressed his players and caused inner strife with his intensity.

Sounds like a great idea!!!

Let's file this with the Larkin's number won't be retired and Delino DeShields is signing with the Reds.

Mutaman
05-18-2005, 11:01 AM
Last I checked, DanO has yet to give up a gopherball, Lindner has yet to make an error, and John Allen has yet to hit into a GIDP. The problem with the Reds is there is a lack of talent between the lines, mainly on that raised circle of dirt on the middle of the infield.

It all starts at the top.

Danny Serafini
05-18-2005, 11:05 AM
If this actually did happen Eric Milton would be kicking himself.

puca
05-18-2005, 11:25 AM
Despite the fact that DanO has only been here 2 years, the pitching staff is his creation. Graves is the only pitcher on this staff that he didn't directly choose to bring in or bring back. Actually that is giving him more credit than he deserves because the only two real bright spots (Harang and Wagner) were inherited and only needed to be offered a contract. The only credit he deserves on that front is that he didn't release or trade either.

While he deserves some sympathy for the state of the minor league system he inherited, he spent a wad of cash to bring in/bring back pitchers who fairly predictably (at least to the armchair GMs around here) have stuggled. And the Reds will be paying the price for these moves for a few years to come.

smith288
05-18-2005, 11:29 AM
I guess im ignorant on Bowa. Why is he hated so much?

Does he call out his players publically or something?

westofyou
05-18-2005, 11:34 AM

http://www.courierpostonline.com/columnists/cxro022504a.htm

"No," said Mike Lieberthal, who's heard every one of these speeches. "Larry is Larry.

"His tone was a little different at first, because it seemed like he was talking to an older crowd of players as opposed to a younger team he had to push. It wasn't the Notre Dame football speech, like before. But once he starts talking, once he gets going, he gets fired up regardless."

Bowa may well be a bit more low key this season, with a veteran team full of talent and postseason experience. But the idea that Bowa is going to go about this thing any less driven and any less intense is just silly.

"Low key is a tough word to use with Larry," said Doug Glanville, who was at the 2001-02 addresses before missing last season.

"It was vintage," Glanville said. "He expressed a lot of confidence in this team. The bar is high.

"It was him. He might try to be a kinder, gentler Larry, but we say that every year. He was fired up. He's always fiery. It was calm in terms of recognizing that we have a lot of guys with experience who've been there. So that was a little different flavor. But he always gets your attention. He's a charismatic speaker."

smith288
05-18-2005, 11:42 AM
I saw nothing wrong about him in thie article. Im sure there is another take about the guy with how the general reaction is towards him in this thread.

Roy Tucker
05-18-2005, 11:42 AM
Having Bowa as a manager would certainly make things interesting, that's for sure.

Like :eek: :bang: :angry: :cry: :help: :all_cohol :bash: :duel: :nono: :explode: :yikes: :scared: :shocked: :pray: :censored: :runaway: :runawaycr :deadhorse :usa: kind of interesting.

westofyou
05-18-2005, 11:45 AM
I saw nothing wrong about him in thie article. Im sure there is another take about the guy with how the general reaction is towards him in this thread.

That's the "good take"" on his intensity, the bad take is easily accessable though google, but the MO is intense is just as bad as good.

SanDiegoRed
05-18-2005, 11:55 AM
Please oh please let this be so. I have been a Reds fan for 35 years and this has to be the most disqusted I have ever been with this team. They just seem to accept losing. There is no fire at all. A change is in order.Gullet especially needs to go.

Puffy
05-18-2005, 12:07 PM
This rumor is completely false. I can't believe anyone believes this. I have been contacted for an interview for the managerial position and my interview isn't until June 9 (obviously the Higher Ups know of the gathering and that I'll be in town then). So Miley has until at least June 9 to turn this around - because after I wow them in my interview I will be the new manager.

And Casey will be batting 6th.

savafan
05-18-2005, 12:47 PM
It's been stated in Sports Illustrated that Jim Leyland would love a chance to manage again. Many are speculating that he'd take over for Lloyd McClendon in Pittsburgh.

As for Miley, I'm starting to believe that he's managing the same way that he always has, as a AAA minor league manager. What I mean by that is that he seems to be managing like he's trying to develop these players, and not managing like he's trying to win ballgames.

OldXOhio
05-18-2005, 01:10 PM
This rumor is completely false. I can't believe anyone believes this. I have been contacted for an interview for the managerial position and my interview isn't until June 9 (obviously the Higher Ups know of the gathering and that I'll be in town then). So Miley has until at least June 9 to turn this around - because after I wow them in my interview I will be the new manager.

And Casey will be batting 6th.

My interview is also on the 9th...

and Wily Mo will be batting 6th while Casey's butt is on the pine.

Chip R
05-18-2005, 01:54 PM
Things are pretty desperate when you want to hire Larry Bowa as your manager.

Ravenlord
05-18-2005, 01:55 PM
Things are pretty desperate when you want to hire Larry Bowa as your manager.i's thinkin' da same thing.

Team Clark
05-18-2005, 03:02 PM
I'd love to see Tony Pena in here.

WVRed
05-18-2005, 03:04 PM

We already had one KC manager, and that didnt work out well.

deltachi8
05-18-2005, 03:06 PM

He might be able to still catch...

and perhapps pitch better than a few un-named "pitchers" on the current roster.

Hooligan
05-18-2005, 03:29 PM
I agree Team Clark, Pena would be my first choice. But in reality I think the Reds should start by firing Gullett. If a message is to be sent to this team it must be the right one. The pitching staff is the most horrific thing about this team. Fire the Sherriff and tell Miley he's next if he can't get this team turned around.

Redleg75
05-18-2005, 04:16 PM
that right Wheelhouse couldn't have said it better myself. I'd give Graves his outright release for starters. A professional "disappointed" with the fans who pay his 6 mil salary cuz he blows a 7 run lead in the 9th. Get him outta here!!!!

tsj017
05-18-2005, 04:21 PM

I agree with all of this--ALL of it--with the exception of "Miley is a good manager". I was all in favor of making Miley the manager, even when Boone was hired. However, based on what we've seen, I'm starting to think he's in over his head. He seems clueless.

It's not all or even mostly his fault, but when a team is this bad, the manager usually gets fired. And if the new Reds manager is Bowa, well . . . at least it should be more entertaining than the train wreck we've been watching.

gilpdawg
05-18-2005, 04:56 PM
I don't think this is gonna happen, but I'd like it if it did. Something needs to happen to give these guys a kick in the pants. Bowa would definately do that. However, Bowa is a short term manager because he tends to alienate his players after a couple of years. Heck, go for it, we can't get much worse. By the time Bowa wears out his welcome, maybe Pinella or somebody is available.

Redleg75
05-18-2005, 05:08 PM
I'd rather lose 110 games that have Larry Bowa manage out team. He's a pea brain. We need a motivational leader with a at small sized fruit brain....and no it need not be chiquita product :(

butlerbulldogs
05-18-2005, 05:32 PM
just get rid of Miley, the dude obviously isn't doing anything to motivate the guys, when was the last time we won a series? I guarentee the reds would have had a better record over the last month if I was the manager!
reasons why:
I would have not played Rich Aurillia forever!
I would have made sure Wily Mo Pena was in, especially when they already had aurillia in and had felipe playing second or freel in the of!

Tommyjohn25
05-18-2005, 06:17 PM
At this point, regardless if the rumor is true or not, I'm all for change. It has been made blatantly apparent that the current formula isn't working, and when that happens the manager is the first fall guy.

NCRed
05-18-2005, 06:21 PM
It should happen tonight (after todays debacle - or is it Titatic Struggle) bring in new peoplw on the off day.

Things will probably get worse before better

wally post
05-18-2005, 06:25 PM

I agree. Pena could be a great one for the Reds.
Did I earlier truly say that bowa would be OK? I must be suffering from "two many embarassing losses parasites!

reds44
05-18-2005, 06:28 PM
Yes Fire Em All!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We Are Not This Bad!

Bring Me Larry Bowa!

wheels
05-18-2005, 06:29 PM
This rumor started by a guy that doesn't even know how to spell "sources".

butlerbulldogs
05-18-2005, 06:34 PM

:laugh:

Tommyjohn25
05-18-2005, 06:36 PM

A "doctor" even!!

butlerbulldogs
05-18-2005, 06:38 PM
anyone ever notice that whenever we see a "rumor" of this sort, the guy has like 2 posts

CrackerJack
05-18-2005, 06:53 PM
Larry Bowa? Yeah right. What a nightmare scenario that would be - then again considering what boy wonder DanO has done thus far it wouldn't be too suprising.

Right now O'Brien is watching his career being flushed down the toilet though and I imagine he'll be motivated to do something of this nature before too long.

reds44
05-18-2005, 07:06 PM

wow

Joseph
05-18-2005, 07:09 PM
I'm just as skeptical as anyone, but let's not give this guy negative reputation points until he/she is proven wrong. Bad for community spirit and what not, IMO.

reds44
05-18-2005, 07:14 PM
I'm just as skeptical as anyone, but let's not give this guy negative reputation points until he/she is proven wrong. Bad for community spirit and what not, IMO.

Very good point, if hes right he should be given 200 rep points automaticly, ok maybe not.

wheels
05-18-2005, 08:40 PM
I dunno folks, another poster on the ORG has also seemingly corroborated this, except it's supposed to be tomorrow.

Maybe we're being a little rash, but when somebody posts a rumor with very posts with which to gauge one's veracity...Well, it raises a few red flags.

If this turns out to be true, we might owe him an apology.

seligstinks
05-18-2005, 08:54 PM
They should fire John Allen instead- he should have been fired in 2003 instead of Bowden.

reds44
05-18-2005, 09:19 PM
Hey guys I know there is already one thread like this, but I saw this on Old Red Guard it was posted by red-in-la

I have a 3rd party source to the Reds FO that "hears" that Miley will be fired when the Reds get back into town. This source is 4 persons removed from me, but it is VERY reliable.

If this source says it, it is going to happen.....the only reason to question this is that when 4 people pass along a story, it can get confused.....but I don't see how this message could get confused.

I feel really bad for Dave Miley.....he is clearly a guy who paid his dues.....but I also believe this team has much more talent than he and his staff is getting out of it.

Tomorrow is an off day before a huge homestand, so if its going to happen it probably will be tomorrow. INTERESTING

comments?

KronoRed
05-18-2005, 09:20 PM
Wasn't Boone fired after a series with the Mets?

;)

reds44
05-18-2005, 09:21 PM
Who knows, maybe this will cause a Marlins-like turnaround!

Hey you can hope!

kxblue
05-18-2005, 09:23 PM
Wouldn't it be great if you could fire Milton and Wilson and offer them only small severance packages. :beerme:

Edit: Add most of the Reds pitching staff to those who should be fired

BEETTLEBUG
05-18-2005, 09:27 PM
I agree FIRE JOHN ALLEN

OnBaseMachine
05-18-2005, 09:29 PM
Who knows, maybe this will cause a Marlins-like turnaround!

Hey you can hope!

Not a chance.

The Marlins had Josh Beckett, Willis, Penny, Redman, and Pavano in their rotation. Those guys played a huge role in turning their season around.

The Reds don't have one starting pitcher on the same level as those guys.

reds44
05-18-2005, 09:30 PM
Not a chance.

The Marlins had Josh Beckett, Willis, Penny, Redman, and Pavano in their rotation. Those guys played a huge role in turning their season around.

The Reds don't have one starting pitcher on the same level as those guys.

Yea, but we have twice if not three times the hitting they had.

reds44
05-18-2005, 09:35 PM
If the enitre staff is canned, any chance of Sr. coming in as the hitting coach? Would you like that? Or do you think Griffey Sr. would only come in as the manager.

OnBaseMachine
05-18-2005, 09:35 PM
Yea, but we have twice if not three times the hitting they had.

2003 Marlins scored 751 runs, 8th best in NL.

2005 Reds are on pace for 745 runs.

Pretty much the same.

reds44
05-18-2005, 09:36 PM
2003 Marlins scored 751 runs, 8th best in NL.

2005 Reds are on pace for 745 runs.

Pretty much the same.

Wow nice stat, didnt realize that. Still think we have the "potential" to be a much better offense than them.

Shaggy Sanchez
05-18-2005, 09:40 PM
Actually I don't know if we even have that much better hitting then what they had. If you look at there hitters that year to ours this year I would take Pudge over Larue, Lee over Casey, Castillo over Jimenez, Lowell over Randa, Gonzalez over Aurilla, Dunn over Hollandsworth, Pierre over Griffey(I hate to say that), Pena/Kearns over Encarnacion. That gives Florida a 6-2 edge in hitting IMO.

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-18-2005, 09:49 PM
They should fire John Allen instead- he should have been fired in 2003 instead of Bowden.

Absolutely. And we could line the streets with cheering fans when his moving van pulls out.

reds44
05-18-2005, 10:35 PM
Actually I don't know if we even have that much better hitting then what they had. If you look at there hitters that year to ours this year I would take Pudge over Larue, Lee over Casey, Castillo over Jimenez, Lowell over Randa, Gonzalez over Aurilla, Dunn over Hollandsworth, Pierre over Griffey(I hate to say that), Pena/Kearns over Encarnacion. That gives Florida a 6-2 edge in hitting IMO.

No, I think Casey now, is better than Lee was then. I will take Lopez over Gonzalez(Gonzalez is an awful hitter) and Cabrerra was in left for the playoffs, but not for the regular season. And theres no way you take Pierre over Jr. Pierre hit about .300 with 1 or 2 homers. Jr's hitting around .280 with 6 homers already. Jr. is better. Although after comparing the lineups maybe our hitting wasnt that much better.

macro
05-18-2005, 10:51 PM
I dunno folks, another poster on the ORG has also seemingly corroborated this, except it's supposed to be tomorrow.

Maybe we're being a little rash, but when somebody posts a rumor with very posts with which to gauge one's veracity...Well, it raises a few red flags.

If this turns out to be true, we might owe him an apology.

I was skeptical of this story because:

They wouldn't wait until Sunday. If they know they're going to do it, why wait until after a three-game weekend series? This rumor would've had more credibility if it had them doing it Thursday.
How often is an "entire coaching staff" dismissed? Trying a bit too hard to be dramatic, IMO.
Larry Bowa wouldn't be the choice.
If Miley is let go, and that's the only thing that this rumor has in common with what actually happens, then it will be by sheer coincidence or a lucky guess or whatever.

Team Clark
05-18-2005, 11:05 PM
I'd love to have Sr. back as hitting coach.

redsfan4445
05-19-2005, 12:02 AM
Hey Team Clark!!!. have you heard any rumblings about this rumour???

Krusty
05-19-2005, 12:55 AM
Just got done reading the thread about Miley might be fired on Thursday. Now if it is true, what about Larry Bowa as the Reds next manager?

This team has been sleep walking the first quarter of the season. Bowa and his high wired act might be the thing the Reds need to turn things around. A kick in the ass, get in a few players' faces for lousy performances. He would seem to be the guy that would light a spark that this club desperately needs.

Bowa is this century's version of Billy Martin. You know he won't be here for long. But if you need someone to motivate a few players, I think Bowa is the guy the Reds need right now.

RDriesen16
05-19-2005, 12:59 AM
i hope not. it will just continue the cycle of going from one bad coach to another. just because he is the only one out there doesnt mean you get him. if he is the best, you just wait till someone who is better who you want becomes available. even the royals know this. of course, as long as oboring is running things, it wont matter who the coach is

WVPacman
05-19-2005, 01:02 AM
IMO its way to early to fire Miley but to answer your question I like Bowa's fire for the game.You never know he could turn this team around with his in your face style.Thats what I would like to see Miley do more of get into players faces and demand them to play better or set.Bowa has coached that way his whole career and it has gotten him some good seasons from his team.The same thing would happen to Miley if he would stop being so nice and start using that in your face kind of style.

Krusty
05-19-2005, 01:03 AM
Hmm... Bowa was JUST great in San Diego, then in Philadelphia he pressed his players and caused inner strife with his intensity.

Sounds like a great idea!!!

Let's file this with the Larkin's number won't be retired and Delino DeShields is signing with the Reds.

I guess you'll just be satisfied with the play of this club for the remainder of the season.

Krusty
05-19-2005, 01:07 AM
The Reds have more talent than the Royals.

As for Bowa, like him or not this team needs a kick in the ass. A veteran lineup and veteran starting pitchers and veteran bullpen, there are no excuses for the morbid play of this club.

Give me a manager with a little spit and fire. If someone like Bowa can't turn this mess around, then I'm all for gutting this team come the offseason.

penantboundreds
05-19-2005, 01:13 AM
I agree with you Krusty, I would sign him for a deal that runs through this year, no longer. Marty made the point that some people just expect to be here("have a certain comfort level here") and that last year when Haynes was released people started to recognize you better perform or there is no guarantees you will stay here.

WVPacman
05-19-2005, 01:13 AM
The Reds have more talent than the Royals.

As for Bowa, like him or not this team needs a kick in the ass. A veteran lineup and veteran starting pitchers and veteran bullpen, there are no excuses for the morbid play of this club.

Give me a manager with a little spit and fire. If someone like Bowa can't turn this mess around, then I'm all for gutting this team come the offseason.

Exactly,I really thought that this team would be alot better than they are.They all need a good kick in the ass exspecially Miley and Dano/FO.Im very dissapointed so far with what this club has done this year.

Krusty,I agree with you man the Reds difenently need a change.

Krusty
05-19-2005, 01:16 AM
Did anyone expect the club to play this badly after the offseason moves they made? I wasn't expecting a NL Central crown but I sure didn't expect this.

If nothing is done significant here quickly, GAB will look like a ghost town come the Allstar Break.

kyred14
05-19-2005, 01:20 AM
i'm not sure about bowa, but if that's what you can get, you might as well do it. firing miley and making narron the mgr. accomplishes nothing. someone from the outside must be hired.

WMR
05-19-2005, 01:31 AM
Hey, Bowa could--literally--do no worse than what they're currently getting out of Miley. Although the problems run much higher than Miley--cough, cough DanO and John Allen, even--at least Bowa would make things captivating again. (at least for awhile) And heck, who knows, maybe they go on a tear and get back in the WC race. Crazier things have happened.

jhiller21
05-19-2005, 03:18 AM
Bowa was booed out of Philly, and I'm assuming he has some sort of contract with ESPN this year (BBTN).

Although it would be nice to have someone who could construct a descent lineup, the blame lies mostly in O'Brien's hands. Signing/Overpaying Milton & Jimenez alone should cost him his job. With the dissapointing additions of Weber and Aurilia, not to mention insisting Aurilia play over Lopez, he's been a consistant failure as GM. The only bright spots on this team right now (Harang, Wily Mo) are Bowden's.

Ron Madden
05-19-2005, 04:22 AM
Personally, I think its time for change. DanO didn't want Miley to start with. The way I see it, if Miley is fired, and DanO brings in "his guy" and that guy fails as well, maybe the accountability goes to DanO, and starts uncovering what really needs to be done (danO gone, new GM brought in). Probably still a few years off even best case scenario.

I may be wrong but isn't Jerry Narron O'Briens guy?

Bowa, Pinella or the late Billy Martin are all bad ideas.

This club is made up of grown men.

Ya just can't scare'em into being any more talented than they are.

The root of our problem goes way back.. Before O'Brien or Miley.
Fixing it will take time. To fire Miley would do very little to help matters right now. JMHO

westofyou
05-19-2005, 09:17 AM
I guess you'll just be satisfied with the play of this club for the remainder of the season.

No, I'll be satisfied without some dumbed down answer to the problem, Larry Bowa knows squat about the Reds, has no working relationship or history with them and has a track record of winding players up until they run away from his over bearing micro managed ways.

Maybe YOU"LL be satisfied with it because it's a change for change sake.

But I won't... I get happy when change is generated with thought and meaning and an idea of which way the team should go.

fs43340
05-19-2005, 09:17 AM

Maybe we have to be. You can't fire the ownership.

Blimpie
05-19-2005, 09:28 AM
The Earl Weaver impression that Miley tried yesterday reeked of desperation. He knows his days are numbered and he is currently out of ideas. This team doesn't need a spark from the manager, they need a visit to the blast furnace. I get so damn tired of reading Miley's quotes that "no other team's coaches outwork ours..." How the hell does he know that? What other MLB clubhouses has he managed when I wasn't looking?

But as they always say--the fish rots from the head down. IMO, if this organization had any stones whatsoever, DanO would be gone yesterday. Then, you give Miley another week or so to show the team can respond and prove that he hasn't been hamstrung by the FO all season long with these ridiculous lineups that have been running out there. If immediate results are not shown, then send Miley and the entire staff packing as well.

Blimpie
05-19-2005, 09:30 AM
Maybe we have to be. You can't fire the ownership.Marge (R.I.P.) may have a different take on that one....

Stewie
05-19-2005, 09:47 AM

Bowa is a genius at deflecting blame away from himself and onto others.

This was a classic quote from him last year when due to injuries he had Geoff Geary, Josh Hancock, and Brian Powell in his bullpen:

"We have three pitchers from Scranton," said manager Larry Bowa. "I just do the best we can with the people they give me."

This rumor of firing Miley and hiring Bowa makes no sense. Miley might get fired, but replacing him with Bowa is never a good idea.

Krusty
05-19-2005, 09:52 AM
No need to wait. Do it now.

Stewie
05-19-2005, 09:55 AM
One thing that is evident, Bowa wasn't the problem in Philly. Their problem was sitting up in the press box trading for Endy Chavez. He's still there. Bowa? Not sure how he manages a game, but I'd bet he'd hack off some of the vets. I wonder if he'd be good or bad for FeLo's development? He might be a bit brash for him to thrive.

Yes and no. Ed Wade is definitely a major problem. No doubt about that at all. The real problem lies another step up from Wade in team president/CEO David Montgomery. However, Bowa was a problem, too. He's just not a good manager. And unfortunately, they replaced him with another manager who isn't very good in Charlie Manuel. Manuel is the polar opposite of Bowa personality-wise, but he still makes bizarre (and often times bad) in-game decisions. He is essentially on even ground with Bob Boone.

Bowa would annoy a lot of the vets, and he wouldn't play the young guys. On the plus side, Ryan Freel would most likely play every day because he is scrappy. On the down side, once Rich Aurilia comes back, he would play every day, too, because of his "veteran leadership."

You forgot Dallas Green. Even if the Reds don't hire Bowa if/when Miley gets fired, you can take Dallas Green, free of charge! Please take him, he won't leave here on his own.

deltachi8
05-19-2005, 10:15 AM
I'm all for a change but Bowa would be a short term results guy. The players would tune him out eventually and his act would wear thin.

Give me Davey Johnson back or let Chamblis or Narron ride ot the season and see who is available. But the time has come for a change.

redsfan30
05-19-2005, 10:20 AM
I'm curious. Where did the name of Larry Bowa come up?

Is it just a name a poster picked out and we ran with it, or is there any specific intelligence?

savafan
05-19-2005, 10:30 AM
Kruk for hitting coach, Dibble for pitching coach, Gammons for bullpen coach and Chris Rose as the new bench coach!

Blimpie
05-19-2005, 01:05 PM
No need to wait. Do it now.I assume that you are referring to my post (i.e...axe DanO now, but give Miley a few more games). I just feel that DanO is the one who is the most complicit for this mess. He was instrumental in bringing in/re-signing everybody who is causing this team to implode at the present moment. Furthermore, I feel that there exists substantial pressure above Miley to play certain people over others.

Who the hell is going to manage this team? Chambliss? I am no Larry Bowa fan, and Davey Johnson isn't coming back to this trainwreck. This team is going nowhere with this current rotation/BP, so let's see what Miley can do in conjunction with the remaining personnel (sans DanO). Any manager could tweak the lineup here or there to spark this offense quite substantially. But, NOBODY is going to turn this pitching staff into anything to be proud of...

MartyFan
05-19-2005, 01:38 PM
Did anyone expect the club to play this badly after the offseason moves they made? I wasn't expecting a NL Central crown but I sure didn't expect this.

If nothing is done significant here quickly, GAB will look like a ghost town come the Allstar Break.

No way I expected this from this team...I did expect the Brewers to be better and honestly the Astros and Cubs are right where I expected them to be at this time.

But the Reds are stunning :help:

guttle11
05-19-2005, 02:37 PM
Kruk for hitting coach, Dibble for pitching coach, Gammons for bullpen coach and Chris Rose as the new bench coach!

id say, Stone Cold Steve austin as manager, Courtney love as bench coach. 50 cent as pitching coach (he gave up nine hits and bounced back pretty well). Christina Aguilera as clubhouse manager.( would'nt Casey look great in backless chaps?? :mooner: ) and Finally Cincy's own Jerry Springer as GM.

The team would still suck, but they would be fun to watch

Dr. Johnson
05-19-2005, 03:12 PM
Dave Miley and the entire coaching staff will be fired after Sunday's game and Larry Bowa will be named the new manager my sources are telling me. A sports agent told me this on Tuesday night. Bowa has a clause in his ESPN contract that will allow him to leave for a manageral position...developing...

westofyou
05-19-2005, 03:14 PM
Can we expect a new thread then too?

Red Leader
05-19-2005, 03:16 PM
Still don't believe it. I can wait until Sunday night to find out for sure, but I just don't see it happening. I have a hard time believing the Reds would fire Miley (even though he deserves it, IMO), eat the remainder of this year and next years contract $$$, and bring in a "name" manager that will cost more $$$.

From what I've seen of this organization, they just aren't willing to eat that much $$$ no matter what the situation, or how bad it gets.

flyer85
05-19-2005, 03:19 PM
Oh no ... the Johnson Doctor is back.

WVRed
05-19-2005, 03:19 PM
developing...

You wouldnt happen to work for Matt Drudge would you? :evil:

Matt700wlw
05-19-2005, 03:27 PM
I know this thread is all based on "sources", but Larry Bowa probably wouldn't be much of an upgrade.....his career managerial record is under .500. It wouldn't be the long-term answer I don't think

http://www.baseball-reference.com/managers/bowala01.shtml

...why did the Reds fire Jack McKeon again?

CincyRedsFan30
05-19-2005, 03:39 PM
Doctor, your patients will be heading to another practice if you don't get this rumor right. ;)

wheels
05-19-2005, 03:42 PM
Oh golly gee willickers!

Larry Stinking Bowa?

Talk about throwing gas on the fire.....

This team does NOT need a kick in the tail.

What it needs is an infusion of talent. Problem is, any hopes of a quick fix were dashed that dark day in January.

Wehave Dan O'Brien to thank for that.

To quote Steel during the offseason..."He can go now."

Team Clark
05-19-2005, 03:44 PM
I wish I had some info, but I have next to nothing on this. Out of pure curiosity (and wishful thinking) I made a few calls. No one (FO, Scouts, Player Development and even an Agent) has heard a word. So, that could mean there is a move and they are being tight lipped (good strategy) OR nothing will happen. Looking at OB's record I personally think NOTHING will happen. If a move were to be made I would expect, as did everyone else I spoke too that Narron would replace Miley.

OldRightHander
05-19-2005, 03:44 PM
My source tells me that some of these other "sources" were seen outside the Showcase Cinema in wookie costumes. That's about how much credibility I give them.

CincyRedsFan30
05-19-2005, 03:46 PM
Here is what I've got on this situation:

"Not a word. And I don't trust any of those chat sites(Sorry Good Doctor ;) . People throw things out there and everybody jumps on the bandwagon. I know Tony Perez got fired after 44 games and it COULD happen, but I'm thinking more along the lines of the All-Star break if things don't turn around".

Doctor, I think you have until Sunday night and then your grace period will have run out.

LoganBuck
05-19-2005, 03:49 PM
My source tells me that some of these other "sources" were seen outside the Showcase Cinema in wookie costumes. That's about how much credibility I give them.

OB1 use the source! :D

KronoRed
05-19-2005, 03:56 PM

Chewbacca would be an excellent manager

rdiersin
05-19-2005, 04:03 PM

That would be an interesting visit to the mound.

OldRightHander
05-19-2005, 04:11 PM
And during the post game interview with the pitcher:

Interviewer: "So what did the manager say to motivate you so much that you retired the next 12 batters?"

Pitcher: "I don't have a clue what he said, but he was intimidating as heck, so I figured I'd better throw strikes."

Larry Schuler
05-19-2005, 04:27 PM
I still remember the days of Johnny Cochran and his Chewbacca defense. God bless his soul.

reds44
05-19-2005, 04:29 PM
Dave Miley and the entire coaching staff will be fired after Sunday's game and Larry Bowa will be named the new manager my sources are telling me. A sports agent told me this on Tuesday night. Bowa has a clause in his ESPN contract that will allow him to leave for a manageral position...developing...

Larry Bowa

clap
clap
clap
clap
clap

Topcat
05-19-2005, 09:21 PM
IF my reds hire Bowa im going to p :( . My reason is simple he is not a leader he, takes no blame and his ME versus the team mentality will lead to a faster exodus of what scarce talent the reds posess.

REDREAD
05-19-2005, 10:53 PM
...why did the Reds fire Jack McKeon again?

He had the gall to ask for a raise after winning Manager of the Year..
That burned Allen hard (he had no choice but to renew him). So Allen only gave him a one year deal and then axed him.

REDREAD
05-19-2005, 10:56 PM

Solo could tell the other manager that when Wookies lose, they rip the arms off their opponents (like the "Chess" game in star wars) :lol:

WVRedsFan
05-20-2005, 12:41 AM
He had the gall to ask for a raise after winning Manager of the Year..
That burned Allen hard (he had no choice but to renew him). So Allen only gave him a one year deal and then axed him.

You know, hindsight is 20/20, but I screwed up big time. I was a main proponent for firing Jack on this board. I was under the impression that we were going to hire a real manager who might just pay attention to the game and not let Don Gullett control the pitchers and his hitting coach control the hitters (I can't remember his name). What did we get? Ronnie Oester vs. Bob Boone. The Sheriff with a contract separate from eveyone else in the system and the same old result (or maybe worse). I was appalled. I wanted neither (especially Boone), but that was the choice we got. I wanted Jack back immediately, but, of course, it was too late.

No one will ever call me a baseball genius.

And now

MartyFan
05-20-2005, 12:55 AM
You know, hindsight is 20/20, but I screwed up big time. I was a main proponent for firing Jack on this board. I was under the impression that we were going to hire a real manager who might just pay attention to the game and not let Don Gullett control the pitchers and his hitting coach control the hitters (I can't remember his name). What did we get? Ronnie Oester vs. Bob Boone. The Sheriff with a contract separate from eveyone else in the system and the same old result (or maybe worse). I was appalled. I wanted neither (especially Boone), but that was the choice we got. I wanted Jack back immediately, but, of course, it was too late.

No one will ever call me a baseball genius.

And now

At the time we were talking with Boone and Oester wwe had also interviewed Willie Randolph...That was my pick. I wish he would have come to cincy.

macro
12-16-2005, 03:38 PM
Well, since the "About 10 of you..." thread got bumped and duly recognized, we can't let this one fade into oblivion without one last hurrah! It has to get some kind of award!

Hondo
12-21-2005, 03:16 AM
Look out Boys....."Sweet" Lou is gonna be manager probably mid 2006, and if not......He'll be presenting the 2007 Opening day lineup card to the umps for sure! Let the new ownership take over and see what happens.....That whole "Lou spotted at Castelinis office" thing is for real. It is just a matter of time!!!!