PDA

View Full Version : Dave Chappelle back home in Yellow Springs

savafan
05-26-2005, 04:38 AM
http://entertainment.tv.yahoo.com/entnews/eo/20050525/111707556004.html

Wed May 25, 7:46 PM ET

Dave Chappelle's South African "spiritual retreat" has apparently reached its conclusion.

The Comedy Central stalwart, whose disappearance, alleged mental breakdown and sane and crack-free reemergence have been well chronicled, has reportedly returned to Yellow Springs, Ohio, where he makes his home for part of the year.

Residents of the small town have spotted the Chappelle's Show namesake running errands around town and generally going about his business since last week.

"He was just chilling and walking around with his friend," Cole Lindemuth, an employee of Ye Old Trail Tavern told the Dayton Daily News, after spying Chappelle last Thursday.

After Chappelle pulled his disappearing act late last month, production on Chappelle's Show was shut down. The expected start date for the third season, which had been slated for May 31, was pushed back indefinitely.

Explanations for the comedian's alleged meltdown included suggestions that he had been partying too hard and that stress had caused him to check into a psychiatric institute.

However, with the exception of the stress factor, all those rumors were false, according to Chappelle.

"I'm not crazy. I'm not smoking crack. I'm definitely stressed out," Chappelle told Time magazine in the only interview he's granted since his impromptu retreat.

Chappelle told the magazine that he first halted production on the show late last year after he was dissatisfied with the initial batch of third-season skits.

Comedy Central subsequently bumped the series' return date from February to May, blaming the delay on Chappelle's health, as well as on a lack of material.

Despite the extra time to work on the series, Chappelle was still unhappy with the creative direction of his show.

"My personal feeling is I didn't like the direction of the show. I was trying to explain it to people, and no one was feeling me. There's a lot of resistance to my opinions, so I decided, Let me remove myself from this situation," he told Time.

"So I figured, let me just cut myself off from everybody, take a minute and pull a Flintstone--stop a speeding car by using my bare feet as the brakes."

Despite the fact that the comic has returned to the United States, the future of Chappelle's Show remains murky. The network has said it does not expect the show to return this year, but does expect that it will be back at some point.

For now, Chappelle's Comedy Central timeslot is being filled by new episodes of Reno 911! and a new variety show from D. L Hughley called Weekends at the D.L..

Chappelle's spokesman, Matt Labov, had little insight to offer on his client's state of mind.

"We have no update and I won't speculate on when the show might come back," Labov told MTV.com.

Fans of the comedian who are currently suffering from withdrawal can console themselves by picking up the Chappelle's Show Season Two DVD, which was released Tuesday.

The DVD of the show's first season has sold more than 2.8 million copies since its February 2004, making it the best-selling TV DVD package ever.

Meanwhile, Chappelle's fellow Yellow Springs residents are simply glad he's amongst them once more.

"He's from here and he's part of the community," storeowner Cyndee Perkins told the Dayton Daily News.

Roy Tucker
05-26-2005, 07:59 AM
"He was just chilling and walking around with his friend," Cole Lindemuth, an employee of Ye Old Trail Tavern told the Dayton Daily News, after spying Chappelle last Thursday.
Factoid that interests only me... I used to play on the Ye Old Trails Tavern's softball team. LCF.

creek14
06-25-2005, 05:02 PM
Comic Chappelle gives Wiley's crowd a laugh
By Nicholas Hrkman

Dayton Daily News

DAYTON | When the MC at Wiley's Comedy Club called Dave Chappelle to the stage Thursday night, no one believed him at first. And then the $50 million comic-recently-in-hiding actually stepped to the mike.

"Nobody's going to find me in this (place)!" Chappelle quipped, treating the startled audience to a surprise hour of new material — apparently his first solo standup show since a much-publicized self-exile from production of his hit Comedy Central show several weeks ago. The stand-up comic and actor, best known for the edgy racial humor on his enormously successful Chappelle's Show, even hung around to answer questions and give autographs, according to Wiley's manager Jimmy Hamden.

"He looked great," Hamden, said. "He seemed very relaxed." Chappelle's new material, he said, was hilarious.

The comic, raised in Yellow Springs, now lives on a farm near there with his wife and kids. His sudden departure from production of season three of his show, after signing a $50 million deal with the cable network, made international headlines. Rumors of drug abuse and mental instability were already circulating by the time he was found visiting a friend in South Africa.

"I'm not crazy. I'm not smoking crack. I'm definitely stressed out," Chappelle told Time magazine. He has since returned Yellow Springs, where the locals have seen him shopping and hanging out.

Chappelle got his start at Wiley's and still comes back for Thanksgiving shows. "He thinks of us as family," Hamden said. "We treated him with respect even before he became a superstar."

Hamden said Chappelle did the gig for free. Then again, he does have $50 million ...

Redsland
06-25-2005, 05:36 PM
I just flew in from the cuckoo's nest, and boy are my arms tired!

:)