PDA

View Full Version : Sisters pregnant at 12, 14 and 16...mom blames schools for lack of sex education

savafan
05-26-2005, 11:00 AM
Gee mom, maybe you should have done some educating yourself. :bang:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;sessionid=LGHHCCMV3DXS5QFIQMGCM5WAVCBQU JVC?xml=/news/2005/05/23/npreg23.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/05/23/ixhome.html

By Hugh Davies
(Filed: 23/05/2005)

Three sisters have each had children while still at school, the youngest at the age of 12.

Jemma, Jade and Natasha Williams, who receive benefits totalling more than £31,000 a year, are raising their babies alone after they became pregnant within three months of each other.

The sisters, aged 12, 14 and 16 when they gave birth, live in Derby with their twice-divorced mother, who holds the education system responsible for their plight.

"I blame the schools - sex education for young girls should be better," said Julie Atkins, 38. "More and more kids are getting pregnant younger and younger and sex education needs to start a lot earlier.

"If I could turn the clock back I would definitely prefer them to not have children as their education is so important. They've all ruined their lives because they are all too young to have children."

Jemma, the youngest sister, was the first to become pregnant, giving birth to her son T-Jay in February last year. Then, in November, Natasha, 16, who had already had two miscarriages and an abortion, had Amani. The next month, Jade, 14, gave birth to daughter Lita.

Jemma and Jade, who is about to take her GCSEs, are still in school.

The family lives rent-free in a three-bedroom council house, which they claim is too cramped. Their mother claims benefit for Jade and Jemma, now 15, as well as for their children. However, she said that day-to-day life was a struggle.

"It's really difficult to survive on what we have," she said. "My average shopping bill is £90 a week, and then there's all that extra stuff like toys, nappies and medicine.

"The house is far too small. I have to share a bedroom with Natasha and Amani which is very cramped. Hopefully we may be able to get a bigger house, but who knows?"

Mrs Atkins, who had her first child at 20, said she was astonished that her daughters had become pregnant so young. "It just doesn't seem possible," she said.

"I was so shocked when I found out about Jemma. She thought I would hit the roof and didn't tell me for seven months. I only found out when I took her to buy a new bra and as she was being measured I saw her huge bump."

Jemma said: "I didn't tell anyone because I was too scared and didn't know what to do. I only told my boyfriend, who was 14 at the time, but I didn't want to have an abortion.

"He was my first love. He was great to start with, but he's got a new girlfriend now. I was so frightened when I went into hospital to have my baby. It was so painful and I was in labour for three days."

Jade said she had been determined not to do the same, after seeing all the dirty nappies and her sister enduring sleepless nights. But she became pregnant after "a one-night stand".

She said: "It was just one of those things really. I wasn't using contraception and I suppose I just thought it wouldn't happen to me."

Natasha said her pregnancy, while unplanned, had pleased her. "I don't really want to be anything but a full-time mum," she said.

The father, 38, came to see the child "from time to time", but "he's Asian and still lives with his parents, so they don't know about me or Amani".

Earlier this year, the Government's tax and benefit system was said to be responsible for making Britain the single-parent capital of the world.

The Centre for Policy Studies think-tank said married couples on average weekly salaries were only £1 better off than single mothers who never worked and had no contact with the father of their children.

zombie-a-go-go
05-26-2005, 11:13 AM
There are some real gems in this one. :laugh:

Jemma, the youngest sister, was the first to become pregnant, giving birth to her son T-Jay in February last year. Then, in November, Natasha, 16, who had already had two miscarriages and an abortion, had Amani. The next month, Jade, 14, gave birth to daughter Lita.

Jemma said: "I didn't tell anyone because I was too scared and didn't know what to do. I only told my boyfriend, who was 14 at the time, but I didn't want to have an abortion.

"He was my first love. He was great to start with, but he's got a new girlfriend now."

She said: "It was just one of those things really. I wasn't using contraception and I suppose I just thought it wouldn't happen to me."

Natasha said her pregnancy, while unplanned, had pleased her. "I don't really want to be anything but a full-time mum," she said.

The father, 38, came to see the child "from time to time", but "he's Asian and still lives with his parents, so they don't know about me or Amani".

savafan
05-26-2005, 11:16 AM

This one was my favorite.

GoReds
05-26-2005, 11:16 AM
"I was so shocked when I found out about Jemma. She thought I would hit the roof and didn't tell me for seven months. I only found out when I took her to buy a new bra and as she was being measured I saw her huge bump."

Well, that pretty much sums it up there. Mom doesn't pay enough attention to her daughters to find out one of them is pregnant until 7 months passes? Geez. :rolleyes:

RBA
05-26-2005, 11:18 AM

Wow, still lives with his parents. That's a real man for you, going around knocking up girls.

The whole article just makes me sick.

registerthis
05-26-2005, 11:42 AM
But it's the SCHOOL'S fault for not properly educating her daughters!

Unreal, I support improvements and refinements in the SexEd curriculum as much as anyone, but there is simply no substitute for good parenting. This is one of the worst examples I have found, it's borderline child abuse.

TeamDunn
05-26-2005, 11:53 AM
Well, that pretty much sums it up there. Mom doesn't pay enough attention to her daughters to find out one of them is pregnant until 7 months passes? Geez. :rolleyes:

Mom needs to teach some self respect to her kids. :eek:

GoReds, my best friend (from 1st grade all through school) got pregnant in Feb of our Freshman year, delivered in Nov of our Sophmore year. Only her boyfriend knew she was pregant. She looked like she had put on about 15 pounds, but did not have a big belly. She was a cheerleader and had cheered at a baseketball game prior to Thanksgiving. Over Thanksgiving break she was home alone and delivered her baby, alone. Her sister happened to come over for a visit and heard her crying upstairs. The baby weighed about 4 pounds and was healthy other than being tiny.

It was the biggest subject of gossip ever at our high school. No one even thought she was pregnant. She was scared and ashamed (we went to a Catholic school until 8th grade) and felt people would look down on her for being pregnant. She was scared to tell her parents. Only her boyfriend knew.

It was truly amazing that the baby survived. I can't believe she was able to cheer all that time and only gained 15 pounds.

KronoRed
05-26-2005, 12:56 PM
This isn't real is it?!? :help:

TC81190
05-26-2005, 01:06 PM
This is disgusting. Truly hideous. How does a freakin' FOURTEEN year old even KNOW what a one-night stand is? :angry: :bang: :cry:

Unassisted
05-26-2005, 01:12 PM
At least we can take some solace in knowing that this happened all the way over in the UK and would never happen here, right? :evil:

REDREAD
05-26-2005, 05:23 PM

What was that Chris Elliot Show about 15 years ago with the REM song.. Stand in the Place where you are?" .. :laugh: (Guy in late 30's living with his parents, had a job as a paperboy).

Ravenlord
05-27-2005, 06:59 PM
oh yeah, for those of you wondering, L31,000 comes out to a little better than $56,500.

Chip R
05-27-2005, 11:04 PM
What was that Chris Elliot Show about 15 years ago with the REM song.. Stand in the Place where you are?" .. :laugh: (Guy in late 30's living with his parents, had a job as a paperboy)."Get A Life", IIRC

WVRed
05-28-2005, 09:10 AM
So many South Park references, so little time.

The reason sex-ed in schools doesnt work is because when you have the boys learning from somebody who doesnt know-

http://images.southparkstudios.com/media/images/507/img_35.gif

or the girls learning from someone who has a very strong opinion about it-

http://images.southparkstudios.com/media/images/507/img_20.gif

and the little kids learning from a complete pervert-

http://images.southparkstudios.com/media/images/507/img_24.gif

then you have the womanizing school cafeteria chef trying to explain everything-

http://images.southparkstudios.com/media/images/507/img_21.gif

And then this happens-

http://images.southparkstudios.com/media/images/507/img_10.gif

And thats the truth, right CBus-

http://home.insight.rr.com/craigwalkup/images/NO!.jpg

Wait, I said thats the truth, right CBUS?

http://home.insight.rr.com/craigwalkup/images/YES.jpg

Thought so.

traderumor
05-28-2005, 10:14 AM
I don't think The Onion could have made up a better parody, and this seems to be true. Wouldn't be surprised to find out that mom is also their madam :evil:

cincinnati chili
05-28-2005, 11:49 AM
Good stuff, WVRed.

ws1990reds
05-28-2005, 02:18 PM
Maybe Nanny 911 could back overseas to Britain? ;)

TeamSelig
05-31-2005, 11:57 PM
This family needs to be shot.

OnBaseMachine
06-01-2005, 12:31 AM
http://www.damegames.com/momofyear.jpg

registerthis
06-01-2005, 09:09 AM
This family needs to be shot.
That seems a bit harsh. I was going to recommend counseling.