PDA

View Full Version : Failures and Blame In Pat Tillman's Death

RBA
05-28-2005, 10:04 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/27/AR2005052701265_pf.htmlFailures and Blame In Pat Tillman's Death

I'd like to offer a few clarifications to the May 23 front-page story "Tillman's Parents Are Critical of Army; Family Questions Reversal on Cause of Ranger's Death."

First, the word "critical" in the headline is an understatement.

Second, I characterized the second and third investigations as "shams." The first one -- a homicide investigation -- may have been accurate, but the results were changed by superiors after the investigating officer refused to alter them. I did not say the Army "botched" the investigation. I said it deliberately falsified baseline facts, -- e.g., distance, light conditions, details perceived before and while firing, and the identification of "friendlies."

The story said my son was "killed in a barrage of gunfire." Actually, there were three barrages: one from 78 yards and two from 60 yards. Pat survived a machine gun burst to the torso from the second barrage, but not the third.

The story also said the "soldiers in Afghanistan knew almost immediately that they had killed [Pat]." Approximately 14 soldiers witnessed the shooting.

Staff writer Josh White reported that soldiers burned my son's uniform and body armor, but he did not report that all physical evidence was destroyed on instructions from superiors.

The Army reported that information "was slow to make it back to the United States." To the contrary, the information was sent almost immediately, but there was one set of "facts" for the military and another for my family.

As to the military's claim that it kept the family informed, I was briefed three times with a sales pitch of made-up "facts" and assurances of investigative integrity.

With respect to the Army's reference to "mistakes in reporting the circumstances of [my son's] death": those "mistakes" were deliberate, calculated, ordered (repeatedly) and disgraceful -- conduct well beneath the standard to which every soldier in the field is held.

I have absolute respect and admiration for Army Rangers acting as such. As to their superior officers, the West Point-Army honor code is: "I will not lie, cheat, or steal, nor tolerate those that do." They should reissue the booklet.

PAT TILLMAN SR.

San Jose

RedsBaron
05-28-2005, 01:15 PM
I had read other accounts of Tillman's death by "friendly fire" and the military coverup earlier this week. "Friendly fire" casualties are an unfortunate but unavoidable by-product of modern warfare-----coverups and lies are not. The superior officers who reportedly directed the lies and coverups should be punished, probably dismissed from the service if the allegations are true.

ws1990reds
05-28-2005, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the link. Doesn't surprise me a bit that our own military is crooked in its ways, and that the government and the President of the United States will do anything to cover up this fact. God Bless Tillman. :cry:

BillyBeaneFan
05-28-2005, 11:07 PM
I heard "Desperado" on the radio today and all I could think of was Pat Tillman. I remember them playing it at his funeral and his dad saying it was his favorite song. What a great guy...sad he had to die in such a way.