PDA

View Full Version : Dave Matthews Band

Caseyfan21
05-30-2005, 04:25 PM
Any fans here on the board? The tour starts this week and I'm pretty excited to be going to several shows this summer. Also can't wait to hear the new material and hopefully some of the old classics come back.

Anyone else going to a concert/thinking of going to a concert?

RedTeamGo!
05-30-2005, 04:39 PM
They aren't my favorite band or anything but I was going to see them at Bonnaroo. It fell through though.

halcyon
05-30-2005, 05:35 PM
I'll be seein' em in DC (June) and Cincy (July) with some friends. I've never been to DC so thats a big part of the reason we're heading there. The Cincy show has become a tradition of sorts for me and a friend.

RollyInRaleigh
05-30-2005, 08:15 PM
I've been a big fan, but I'm not that impressed with the new CD. Maybe it will grow on me, but for now, I'm a little dissapointed.

Caseyfan21
05-30-2005, 08:32 PM
I'll be seein' em in DC (June) and Cincy (July) with some friends. I've never been to DC so thats a big part of the reason we're heading there. The Cincy show has become a tradition of sorts for me and a friend.

Can't wait for the Cincy concert. Remember the Reds and Cubs play a 12:35 game that day so you can easily do both with dinner in between. I also agree with seeing them at different places. My friend and I try to do at least one new venue as a little road trip each year. This year we picked Alpine so we're going to go camping up there and hit the two shows.

Yeah, Randy, I agree with you about the new CD. I wasn't a huge fan initially but I started to like it more after hearing some of the songs live. I've always been one that takes a little longer to like a new CD. I never really fall in love at first listen. The thing I can repect about the new album is that the band has repeatedly said it was their favorite album to make. If they are having fun then us as fans have to take what they give us I suppose.

Caveat Emperor
05-30-2005, 10:20 PM
I've been a big fan, but I'm not that impressed with the new CD. Maybe it will grow on me, but for now, I'm a little dissapointed.

I've given it a few listens through...there are some good songs on there: "Dream Girl", "American Baby", "Hello Again", "Louisiana Bayou", but the rest feels a lot like filler.

All in all, it's much better than "Everyday" or "Busted Stuff," in my opinion. I think all DMB fans just need to come to terms with the fact that they're never going to make an album as good as "Before These Crowded Streets" (which may be one of the greatest albums of all time, for any band) again.

I think this album will play much better live than it does in album form. I'm definately looking forward to the Riverbend show, especially since O.A.R. is opening for them!

halcyon
05-30-2005, 11:21 PM
Remember the Reds and Cubs play a 12:35 game that day so you can easily do both with dinner in between.

Yeah, our plan is to go up the day before. We're going to catch the nite game on the 20th after we get up there and chill out for a bit. The day of the show we're going to see the day game, grab a quick bite to eat, and head to the show a little early.

I'm definately looking forward to the Riverbend show, especially since O.A.R. is opening for them!

Me too. My friend and I are both ready to see O.A.R. We've never seen em before, been listening for a few months. He's got the live album and we enjoy it.

I think this album will play much better live than it does in album form.

I certainly agree with this sentiment. I look forward to the shows so that I can hear some of this stuff live.

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-30-2005, 11:35 PM
All in all, it's much better than "Everyday" or "Busted Stuff," in my opinion. I think all DMB fans just need to come to terms with the fact that they're never going to make an album as good as "Before These Crowded Streets" (which may be one of the greatest albums of all time, for any band) again.

Busted Stuff is a very underrated album, and it could have been UTTAD great if not for the Lillywhite Sessions, which is actually the hidden Busted Stuff. As it is, BS has some classics such as Grey Street, You Never Know, Raven, Big Eyed Fish and Bartender.

For my money, UTTAD remains the best DMB album but all of them are great, including Everday.

It's natural for fans of any band to think that the music that was current when they started listening is the band's best and "true sound." Stand Up has a lot of the "true" DMB sound and will eventually be appreciated. Dreamgirl, ODH, AB and Bayou are great songs. And the American Baby intro is hauntingly good. Can't wait to hear these live.

I'm not waiting for DMB at Riverbend in July, which isn't that great of a concert experience anyway. I'm hitting up Deer Creek in two weeks which is the best venue within a 5-hour drive from Cincinnati.

Caseyfan21
05-31-2005, 12:39 AM
I'm not waiting for DMB at Riverbend in July, which isn't that great of a concert experience anyway. I'm hitting up Deer Creek in two weeks which is the best venue within a 5-hour drive from Cincinnati.

Yeah, I went to Deercreek last year and it was probably my favorite venue I've been to. Couldn't go this year because I will be out of town. I am hitting up Pittsburgh for the first time next weekend, I managed to get two pavillions off Ebay for only $60 including shipping, it was too good a deal to pass up.

I agree with the earlier perspective about Busted Stuff. Really, with me, it's to the point I rarely listen to Busted Stuff, I only listen to the Lillywhite Sessions. It's frustrating to think where the band could have gone had they done more at the time with the Lillywhite Sessions (i.e. no Ballard and Everyday).

I think Stand Up will be known for it's live performances. Think of how they cut up some songs for the album cut like Hello Again. It's not even the same song without the killer drum solo and jam at the end.

To Halcyon, O.A.R. is great live. Hearing them last year in Columbus really got me into them. If you would like to listen to some live legal bootlegs, I'd be happy to hook you up over AIM or something, send me a PM and we can work it out.

That also goes for anyone that would like to get ahold of some live O.A.R. or DMB, send me a PM and I'll do my best to send it over AIM or point you to somewhere where you can find it.

BuckU
05-31-2005, 10:29 AM
I think Stand Up is the band's best effort since BTCS. I find myslef drawn to American Baby (and the intro), Hello Again, Bayou, & the last sone (which the title is escaping me).

If you listen to music with the mentality that music/bands evolve, you will like this album. It took me awhile to sell meself on the before mentioned theory. When Everyday came out and they used electric guitars, I was bummed but it grew on me.

Stand Up is a good effort. Much better than Everyday, Busted Stuff, or Dave's solo album.

On a related note, the Live at Central Park set is probably my all time favorite album.

registerthis
05-31-2005, 10:41 AM
I'll be seeing them in DC too, June 26th I think.

Leave WELL in advance, if you're coming to the show from the direction of DC. The traffic can be an absolute nightmare! :eek:

RedFanAlways1966
05-31-2005, 10:57 AM
I have not heard the new CD. However, if I see the DMB tour bus coming anywhere near me (esp. above me)... I am getting the heck out of Dodge. Birds are bad enough, tour buses are not in the equation.

;)

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-31-2005, 11:02 AM
On a related note, the Live at Central Park set is probably my all time favorite album.

I think Dave sounds so much better live, although I do love the studio sets. My favorite is still Red Rocks, for the setlist and some of the jams. And Proudest Monkey :thumbup:

RollyInRaleigh
05-31-2005, 12:48 PM
I love the stuff that Dave Matthews does with Tim Reynolds. Classic, in my opinion.

halcyon
05-31-2005, 01:31 PM
I'll be seeing them in DC too, June 26th I think.

Leave WELL in advance, if you're coming to the show from the direction of DC. The traffic can be an absolute nightmare! :eek:

Thanks for the advice. We're going to be there for quite a few extra days so that I can see some of the sights around DC. Any recommendations?

registerthis
05-31-2005, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the advice. We're going to be there for quite a few extra days so that I can see some of the sights around DC. Any recommendations?
I'll PM you...I've got plenty. :)

kbrake
05-31-2005, 11:47 PM
Cant wait for the tour to start. Going to at least one night in Columbus and hopefully the Cincinnati show. Anyone w/ extra reserved seating for Cincinnati let me know. I dont think the new CD is that bad at all but I really cant say I had my hopes up that high. I doubt they will ever top Red Rocks.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-01-2005, 01:11 AM
Could I have been lost somewhere at Red Rocks?

kbrake
06-01-2005, 09:21 AM
That CD is insane, no matter what they put out after awhile I always find myself going back to good ole Red Rocks

kbrake
06-08-2005, 10:05 AM
Any you guys going to Columbus tonight?

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-08-2005, 11:23 AM
I'm glad I skipped Columbus last night -- wasn't really overwhelmed by the setlist. I will be in Indy on Monday night.

kbrake
06-08-2005, 02:09 PM
yeah I know, I was worried that chose night 2 but after seeing the setlist I am really looking foward to tonight. Hope Indy goes well Monday, see you guys later.

kbrake
06-09-2005, 10:19 AM
Last nights show was absolutely amazing. That was by far the best I have seen the band in three years. The jams were incredible and the set list was the best I have personally got to see live. I would be so happy if Riverbend was half as good.

Red Leader
06-09-2005, 10:21 AM
Do they have the setlists from previous shows listed on a website of some sort?

Red Leader
06-09-2005, 10:24 AM
Nermind. I found it.

Last night's show sounds like it would have been real, real good, at least as far as the setlist goes.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-09-2005, 11:35 AM
Do they have the setlists from previous shows listed on a website of some sort?

There are a lot of cool sites for that. Check out antsmarching.org or nancies.org. Then there is always davematthewsband.com.

Glad to hear that the Columbus show was good. I can't wait for next week!

Joseph
06-09-2005, 11:38 AM
Wow, a lot of DMB fans here. I saw him back in 98 I guess it was and it was, IMO, the absolute worst live experience I've ever had with a band. My wife even fell asleep!

Hopefully he's gotten better since then.

Disclaimer: I started out a metal kid, and evolved into other forms of music, but aside from Tori Amos all the concerts I've been to have been of the metal/rock variety so that could possibly have some affect on my dislike of DMB.

kbrake
06-09-2005, 02:56 PM
The jams were what did it last night and had you been there last night I dont see how anyone could have fallen asleep. Carter was just unreal with drums and when Robert Randolph came out to guest for a couple songs the place was going insane.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-09-2005, 06:30 PM
The jams were what did it last night and had you been there last night I dont see how anyone could have fallen asleep. Carter was just unreal with drums and when Robert Randolph came out to guest for a couple songs the place was going insane.

I can't wait...I already have the cooler and the beer is chilling for some pre-concert tailgating on Monday. Rumor has it that DMB is going to hit Red Rocks at the end of the tour. I would love to see that show -- the first there since the fabled Live at Red Rocks.

M2
06-09-2005, 06:36 PM
Lost count of how many times I saw Dave Matthews back when he was making constant rounds through Virginia during my grad school days. Actually, I liked Boyd Tinsley's band better.

Ceemonki
06-10-2005, 02:02 PM
DMB were one of the best live music experiences I have ever witnessed here in Australia (Counting Crows three hour Sydney set is the only thing that gets close). This year was the first time they have set foot in Aus, the closest before this was a cancelled 2001 tour.

They played usual theatres etc, but the highlight was Bluesfest held at a place in NSW called Byron Bay. Its a coastal town that holds a 5 day festival on a set of rugby fields. The festival itself included The Wailers, George Clinton and P-Funk, REM, Jack Johnson, G-Love and Special Sauce, Earnest Ranglin, Bo Diddley, Gomez, Bright Eyes, Cake, Violent Femmes, George Thorogood, Michael Franti and Spearhead + many more.

DMB played the first night with Angelique Kidjo and Dave making cameos in each others sets. Overall they played for well over 2 hours and most Americans in the crowd near us thought it was one of their best ever sets due to the sheer amount of fun they were having and the length of the jamming. I just really hope I don't have to wait so long to see them again, you guys over there have it lucky, I'd kill to see a Dave and Tim show.

This was the set list.

Grey Street
What Would You Say
One Sweet World
Granny
Jimi Thing (My favourite DMB song and it was amazing to finally see the extended scat version live)
Hello Again
Satellite (With Angelique Kidjo)
Warehouse
American Baby
Everyday
So Much To Say
Too Much
Crush
Rhyme & Reason
Ants Marching

Two Step
All Along The Watchtower

Reds Fanatic
06-10-2005, 03:46 PM
DMB is playing the Bonnaroo music festival tonight. XM satellite radio is broadcasting this festival all weekend on channel 51 Music Lab. According to the schedule DMB is supposed to play from 8:30 to midnight tonight. So I think XM will broadcast their live set tonight.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-14-2005, 10:37 AM
I was at night 2 in Indy last night and it was the best DMB experience I've ever had. The setlist rocked and included a strong dose of old songs, including a killer Dancing Nancies --> Warehouse back-to-back. The band jammed during Nancies and the Bayou jam was out of this world. Also, the cool, breezy night made for a great setting, and the rain held off until the final encore song (Watchtower). The lightning and wind kicking up pre-storm combined with the music made for an awesome experience. I was so pumped up I didn't even mind the ridiculous 2+ hours it took to get back to I-69 from parking lot. Rolled back into Cincy at exactly 4 a.m.

kbrake
06-14-2005, 11:29 AM
I'm telling you guys, a lot of people think that DMB has taken a few steps back in recent years but after only a handful of shows this summer DMB is back.

registerthis
06-14-2005, 11:37 AM
Reds/Flyers, do you remember the setlist much? I'm taking my GF when he comes out to D.C. here in a couple of weeks, it'd be interestign to see what he's playing. Also, i don't particularly care for him much, so I don't know his catalog. I have "Everyday" cause it's her favorite album, but beyond that I don't really know him.

Elam
06-14-2005, 11:47 AM
For anyone thats in search of setlists just try one of the following sites:

http://www.dmbalmanac.com/
http://antsmarching.org/tour/
http://www.dmband.com/road/frames.html

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-14-2005, 10:05 PM
Reds/Flyers, do you remember the setlist much? I'm taking my GF when he comes out to D.C. here in a couple of weeks, it'd be interestign to see what he's playing. Also, i don't particularly care for him much, so I don't know his catalog. I have "Everyday" cause it's her favorite album, but beyond that I don't really know him.

All his setlists from this tour and tours dating back to the early DMB days (they have actually played Music Hall and Taft Theatre in Cincinnati before they went big) are available at antsmarching.org, nancies.org or davematthewsband.com. Last night was huge since it was the first time this tour they have played Dancing Nancies and Best of What's Around.

For what it's worth, if you're just listening to Everyday then you really aren't listening to DMB. That is an oddball CD that is totally different from the band's other work. I highly recommend picking up some live CD's (Central Park, Red Rocks, Live in Chicago) for the true DMB sound. Also, the other studio albums are worlds better than every day.

As for what they'll play in DC, count on at least 6 or 7 songs from the new Stand Up CD -- especially Louisiana Bayou, Dreamgirl and American Baby. You'll likely either get an Ants Marching or Warehouse (last night Indy got both). The band really loves playing The Stone, Where are You Going and Crash. But with a band that has more than 120 songs at its disposal, not counting covers such as All Along the Watchtower which they play a lot, you never know what you'll get.

But definitely pick up some more CDs other than Everyday if you want to hear the band.

Elam
06-05-2006, 12:11 PM
Figured I'd bump this, the Tour just started a little while ago and I just got back from trip from Noblesville, IN to see them on their two night run there. Looks to be great tour coming with the return of some songs (Raven, Dreaming Tree, Proudest Monkey, JTR & I got #40 at Deercreek) and at least one new song (The Idea of You) with at least a few more coming.

So who else is going to Riverbend this year?

pedro
06-05-2006, 12:30 PM
I'd rather listen to someone hit me in the head with a hammer. But it's cool that ya'll like them. I've heard they put on a good show.

Caveat Emperor
06-05-2006, 12:32 PM
Figured I'd bump this, the Tour just started a little while ago and I just got back from trip from Noblesville, IN to see them on their two night run there. Looks to be great tour coming with the return of some songs (Raven, Dreaming Tree, Proudest Monkey, JTR & I got #40 at Deercreek) and at least one new song (The Idea of You) with at least a few more coming.

I'm going to their Michigan concert tomorrow night. Last time I saw DMB in the Detroit-metro area was during the "Vote for Change" tour in 2004 and they had Neil Young come out and do a partial set with them, which was just awesome. I'll also be at the Cincinnati show in August.

I'm hoping since they're in a "between album" tour that they might dip deeper into the archives -- hit some more of the classics off Under the Table and Crowded Streets. I've never heard them play "Crush" live, and that'd be a bit of a treat.

Hopefully it'll be a good show tomorrow! The setlist for the first two shows of the tour was pretty awesome -- if they just combined those, it'd be an amazing time!

Caseyfan21
06-05-2006, 04:05 PM

I was at Noblesville Night 2 as well. I watched that setlist live on Friday night and I was just smacking myself over the head for not going. Then we got into the lot Saturday around 4:45 pm and heard Dreaming Tree being soundchecked and my night was made. Hearing #40 at 2 of my last 3 shows has been incredible as well (went to Alpine last year).

I am so pumped for this tour. It really looks like DMB is listening to want the fans want to hear and they are spending a lot of time dusting off old favorites. I had never seen them soundcheck both nights of a two night stand like in Indy. Also, the new songs so far have sounded non-Stand Up like which is a good thing. I am really digging The Idea Of You and Ayhee.

I will be at Columbus Wednesday night and Pittsburgh on Friday night. I have 16th row seats for Cincinnati but I will be working in Phoenix this summer on an internship so my sister got very good seats. I will also be hitting the Phoenix and Chula Vista shows out west.

Redsin07 - you sound like a pretty big fan. I'm assuming you already know about www.dreamingtree.org but if you don't, check it out. You can download tons and tons of live shows there including all the shows from this tour.

pedro
06-05-2006, 04:06 PM
Deer Creek is a great venue.

Caseyfan21
06-05-2006, 04:10 PM

I have to say it's my favorite other than Alpine. I haven't been to the Gorge or Red Rocks but of the midwest venues Alpine and Deer Creek are 1a and 1b. I was extremely impressed with the people Saturday night. Everyone was very chill and friendly. Normally at most places I've been, people act like idiots and try to push their way to the front, but at Deer Creek no one was pushing at all. I will definately go every year since it's such an easy drive and there is relatively little traffic.

pedro
06-05-2006, 04:13 PM
I have to say it's my favorite other than Alpine. I haven't been to the Gorge or Red Rocks but of the midwest venues Alpine and Deer Creek are 1a and 1b. I was extremely impressed with the people Saturday night. Everyone was very chill and friendly. Normally at most places I've been, people act like idiots and try to push their way to the front, but at Deer Creek no one was pushing at all. I will definately go every year since it's such an easy drive and there is relatively little traffic.

I've seen the Grateful Dead there a bunch of times. I like Alpine too.

Elam
06-05-2006, 04:41 PM
Yeah Caseyfan21 I already know about dreamingtree.org, that and bt.etree.org is where i get all their stuff. Yea, I agree with you I'm liking the new stuff, Sister, I Won't Give it Away, Idea of You have all been pleasent suprises. Unfortunatly I can only go to Riverbend for the rest of the year, I'm really jealous that you're going to all those shows!

redsfanmia
06-05-2006, 05:04 PM
Its actually Verizon Music Center now.

kbrake
06-05-2006, 05:10 PM
Just got my tickets for Columbus today. Wasnt sure if I wanted to go and decided this weekend I would, found some decent tickets on ebay. I might cry if they dont play JTR though.

pedro
06-05-2006, 06:22 PM
Its actually Verizon Music Center now.

not to me. :)

westofyou
06-05-2006, 06:26 PM
No doubt... that was a GREAT venue when it opened, such a great venue.

westofyou
06-05-2006, 06:29 PM
Red Rocks rules, I hear the Gorge is nice... but I haven't gotten the buzz to drive the 4 hours there yet.

My favorite of all time was the Berkeley Greek Theater and then Frost Ampitheater... everything else pales in comparison for outside... except Alpine in the mid 80's... and that's where I met my wife.

redsfanmia
06-05-2006, 07:01 PM
I know I have seen probably 40 shows there and still call it Deer Creek, just as the RCA dome will always be the Hoosier dome and Cinergy will was and always will be Riverfront.

redsfanmia
06-05-2006, 07:04 PM
I love the albums by Dave but am I the only one who cant stand the jams? I have seen Dave once and left after about 10 songs, I liked the first 7 minutes of Jimi thing but the last 10 drove me nuts.

Caseyfan21
06-05-2006, 10:11 PM
Yeah Caseyfan21 I already know about dreamingtree.org, that and bt.etree.org is where i get all their stuff. Yea, I agree with you I'm liking the new stuff, Sister, I Won't Give it Away, Idea of You have all been pleasent suprises. Unfortunatly I can only go to Riverbend for the rest of the year, I'm really jealous that you're going to all those shows!

DT and Etree might be two of the greatest inventions to music fans. That and the ridiculous tapers in the DMB community. I got home around 3 am Sunday morning and was already able to download Dreaming Tree, Idea of You, and #40. That's just crazy...

Riverbend will be rocking for sure. Guster is also playing with Ray LaMontagne at Fraze on July 30 so that would have been a great few days of music. Riverbend always gets a great show anyways. I am looking forward to seeing OAR and Robert Randolph out west though. Mule will be a great opener in Cincinnati and Warren Haynes will probably come out for a tune or two.

kbrake
06-06-2006, 06:36 PM
If anyone is interested I could have a pavillion seat available for tomorrow night in Columbus. If anyone wants it and it is not taken yet you can have it for like $20. Just let me know.

Caveat Emperor
06-07-2006, 09:04 AM
Good show last night in Michigan. As per "Dave Matthews Band Live Show" rules, they didn't play any of my personal favorite songs (Warehouse, Crush, What Would You Say, Wasting Time) -- but it was still good nevertheless.

They did "debut" (or claim they were debuting -- for all I know they've been playing this song at all their live shows thus far) a new song called "Kill the King" which had a great sound to it. I'll be looking for a show bootleg to hear it again at some point.

Oh yeah -- the DTE Music Ampitheater in Detroit has the worst traffic flow of any location I've ever been to.

Elam
06-07-2006, 10:42 AM
Caveat, your right that was the first time Kill the King has ever played it sounds a bit rough right now but not half bad.

What is "Wasting Time"? I think you mean Waste which is a Phish cover thqat that Dave use to play back pretty frequently in 2001 and still plays on the Dave and Friends tour.

PM if you want a mp3 of Kill the King from last night, or I could post here.

kbrake
06-07-2006, 10:52 AM
I thought by wasting time he meant Stay. Oh well. I really like the two new songs and cant wait for tonight.

Elam
06-07-2006, 10:57 AM
I thought by wasting time he meant Stay. Oh well. I really like the two new songs and cant wait for tonight.
Do'h that's probably what he meant, for some reason Waste was the first thing in my head. Heck IIRC it's titled Stay (Wasting Time) on BTCS.

Have fun tonight kbrake! Really hasn't been a bad show yet and hopefully that continues.

kbrake
06-08-2006, 01:54 AM
Just got back from Columbus. Absolutely loved it. JTR was great, I like the new songs, and Big Eyed Fish was nice. Also went with a friend who does not care for DMB, but had not seen them before and he really enjoyed it so that was nice. Really leaning towards trying to come up with tickets for Riverbend now.