PDA

View Full Version : Mom Accused Of Taking Money To Hide Daughter's Rape

HotCorner
06-02-2005, 10:53 AM
http://www.channelcincinnati.com/news/4558987/detail.html

WILMINGTON, Del. -- A social worker who assisted sexually abused children was accused of striking a deal with her boyfriend in which she agreed not to reveal that he allegedly raped her 15-year-old daughter.

The woman had allegedly agreed not to report the incident if her live-in boyfriend paid her $1,000 a month for 10 years, authorities said. Her name was not immediately released.

Both were arrested Sunday after the woman called police to report the alleged rape, which occurred eight months ago. The couple formalized the agreement in a notarized document, court records show.

Albert Laing, 38, was charged with rape, child endangerment, unlawful sexual contact and hindering prosecution. He remained jailed in lieu of bail.

Police spokesman Sgt. William Wells said the relationship between the woman and Laing continued until recently. It was unclear why she decided to inform authorities.

"The best we can tell is that Laing was getting ready to leave for a trip to New York," police Lt. Christine Dunning said.

The woman, 54, was charged with child endangerment and hindering prosecution for not lodging a criminal complaint against a person she knew committed a felony. She has been released.

Wells said the woman was employed by the state of Pennsylvania as a social worker and she worked with sexually abused and exploited children.

Stacey Ward, a spokeswoman for the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare confirmed Tuesday the woman was an employee there, The (Wilmington) News Journal reported.

The victim has been placed with a relative.

REDREAD
06-02-2005, 12:02 PM
A terrible thing to happen to the girl.

But how stupid was it of the social worker to get a notarized statement of the agreement? Did she plan to take the couple to Judge Wapner if they missed a payment?

Roy Tucker
06-02-2005, 12:11 PM
So are these kinds of threads the only non-baseball kind of thing to discuss?

westofyou
06-02-2005, 12:18 PM
:clap: :clap: if I want to troll for depressing news I'd prefer it didn't appear everytime I hit the New Posts button on my baseball chat board.

It's as bad as the nightly news.

06-02-2005, 12:20 PM
It's like there is a competition for a "glum and gloomy award". :thumbdown

Johnny Footstool
06-02-2005, 12:56 PM
News is news. It's not always sunshine.

HotCorner
06-02-2005, 01:07 PM
I posted this story because I thought it was appalling and outrageous. I thought some Redszoners might be interested in reading it. If the title doesn't appeal to you or you are sick and tired of depressing news, don't click on the link to read the thread.

RosieRed
06-02-2005, 01:59 PM
It is appalling and outrageous. What a way to betray her daughter. :thumbdown

TC81190
06-02-2005, 05:26 PM
My head is spinning reading all of this.

savafan
06-02-2005, 06:55 PM

Nope, we've got Rambo, paintball and Star Wars too.

Rocket_Fuel
06-02-2005, 07:17 PM

News is news. How is Rambo, paintballs and a weird looking midget anymore informative!?

TC81190
06-02-2005, 07:21 PM
News is news. How is Rambo, paintballs and a weird looking midget anymore informative!?

There are some things I really don't wanna be informed of.

savafan
06-02-2005, 07:38 PM
There are some things I really don't wanna be informed of.

It's better just to sweep it under the rug? By not knowing about it, and not being angered by it, no steps will be made to correct the problem.

There are people out there who still believe that the Holocaust didn't happen.

KronoRed
06-02-2005, 07:41 PM
Nope, we've got Rambo, paintball and Star Wars too.
I like those threads..if I want depressing stuff I'd hit cnn or fox news. :help:

On topic...discusting :thumbdown

TC81190
06-02-2005, 07:44 PM
It's better just to sweep it under the rug? By not knowing about it, and not being angered by it, no steps will be made to correct the problem.

There are people out there who still believe that the Holocaust didn't happen.

Didn't say that.