PDA

View Full Version : Anyone watch Reds pregame? (significant)

TeamBoone
06-05-2005, 02:35 PM
Apparently, John Allen arrived in Denver unannounced today. I'm not sure if they said he held a press conference, but some sort of gathering was held where he publicly announced that ownership (or upper management?) is not happy with the direction the club is going and something will be done about it within the next 10 days.

They're going to talk more about it later on the show and during the game.

Sorry my details are so unclear but I was in another room and was only half listening. When I realized what they were talking about, I tried to piece together what I thought I heard.

SanDiegoRed
06-05-2005, 02:39 PM
I sure hope you heard right Team Boone, if a team was ever in need of a change in direction, its this one.

MWM
06-05-2005, 02:43 PM
If anything it will be nothing more than another helping of misdirection without addressing the REAL problem with team. My guess is it will be Miley. I'm not against getting rid of him, but it won't make any difference. This is a BAD team. I wasn't against waiving Graves, but that move also didn't really matter.

Matt700wlw
06-05-2005, 02:44 PM
Something tells me if something is up, during the 2nd inning (Marty with writer), we'll hear about it....

Reds Fanatic
06-05-2005, 02:45 PM
The only question is why they would have to wait 10 days to get rid of Miley. The only thing I could think is they have a replacement in mind and they are trying to negotiate with them to take over this team.

RosieRed
06-05-2005, 02:47 PM
TB, you heard right. I'm taping it and just went to watch it. Jim Day said Allen did hold a press conference, to state that management is not happy with the direction of the club. He didn't name any names, but said "it's time to turn it around or else." I didn't hear anything about 10 days, but I only watched the first couple minutes.

Day did say that Allen would be joining them during the game broadcast.

RDriesen16
06-05-2005, 02:49 PM
it wont matter. unless owner, gm, and coach are all gone, nothing will change. if only one or two are changed, odds are we will still suck. sure we might get a momentary boost from something new, but it wont last

Matt700wlw
06-05-2005, 02:50 PM
TB, you heard right. I'm taping it and just went to watch it. Jim Day said Allen did hold a press conference, to state that management is not happy with the direction of the club. He didn't name any names, but said "it's time to turn it around or else." I didn't hear anything about 10 days, but I only watched the first couple minutes.

Day did say that Allen would be joining them during the game broadcast.

Someone will need to recap that for us... :)

Willy
06-05-2005, 02:50 PM
Why do you have to hold a press conference to tell us your not happy that we are playing like crap?

Do something!!!!!!!!!!

Matt700wlw
06-05-2005, 02:51 PM
Why do you have to hold a press conference to tell us your not happy that we are playing like crap?

Do something!!!!!!!!!!

Just to let everyone know they are exploring all options both internally and externally...

TeamBoone
06-05-2005, 02:52 PM
They're going to talk more about it after the commericial that is running right now.

cumberlandreds
06-05-2005, 02:54 PM
The ultimate problem with this franchise is the ownership and I don't see them firing themselves. It will just a shuffling of a manager and some players that won't really help.

CrackerJack
06-05-2005, 02:54 PM
So Allen thinks they will suddenly turn into a good team in the next 10 days?

Sounds like PR damage control.

RosieRed
06-05-2005, 02:55 PM
OK, I just watched more of the pregame show, and Grande said that Allen was also going to discuss some prostate cancer initiative that is going to be held over the next 10 days.

So I'm guessing that's what the 10 days is about. :)

Tommyjohn25
Well...this got my attention! Much more than the play of the reds has this year. Thanks for posting that Matt! Hopefully they do the right thing.

TeamBoone
Damage control is fine by me, as long as whatever it is, it works.

Reds Fanatic
I don't why he would fly to Denver without actually doing something. It seems like a total waste just to fly out there to say be patient we will do something soon.

TeamBoone
06-05-2005, 02:56 PM
OK, I just watched more of the pregame show, and Grande said that Allen was also going to discuss some prostate cancer initiative that is going to be held over the next 10 days.

Oops! Guess I really messed that part up. :rolleyes:

TeamBoone
06-05-2005, 02:57 PM
I don't why he would fly to Denver without actually doing something. It seems like a total waste just to fly out there to say be patient we will do something soon.

I was wondering about the costly 1-day trip to Denver myself. Especially, since the team will be returning to Cincinnati right after the game.

Reds Fanatic
06-05-2005, 02:58 PM

MLB always does something for prostate cancer around Father's Day. I still think something must be up for him to fly to Denver today. He could talked about the prostate cancer fundraiser when they were home this week.

TeamBoone
06-05-2005, 02:59 PM
Well, that was a teaser. Instead, they interviewed Brandon Claussen... good interview though. George will probably repeat what was said during his game intro.

Tommyjohn25
06-05-2005, 03:00 PM
I was wondering about the costly 1-day trip to Denver myself. Especially, since the team will be returning to Cincinnati right after the game.

Yeah something definitely seems to be going on. I am going to go out on a limb and say (deep breath) Miley and DanO are gone after today. I know it's a long shot but hey, why not right?

RosieRed
06-05-2005, 03:00 PM
MLB always does something for prostate cancer around Father's Day. I still think something must be up for him to fly to Denver today. He could talked about the prostate cancer fundraiser when they were home this week.

I agree, it's weird that he flew out to Denver.

That was just the only mention I heard about a 10-day time frame, was the prostate cancer initiative. But clearly I could have missed something else that was said.

I suppose we'll find out more when Allen is on the broadcast.

Matt700wlw
06-05-2005, 03:02 PM

Frequent flyer miles are about to expire...

Matt700wlw
06-05-2005, 03:06 PM
Something tells me if something is up, during the 2nd inning (Marty with writer), we'll hear about it....

...or before the game...

guttle11
06-05-2005, 03:07 PM
If they fire Miley, and I was the interviewer of prospective candidates, the first question I ask would be: "Would you ever, under any circumstances start Jason Romano over KGJ" if answer was yes, interview over

kxblue
06-05-2005, 03:08 PM
maybe Allen will fire himself as well

TeamCasey
06-05-2005, 03:09 PM
Miley would be gone before Dan O'Brien.

Matt700wlw
06-05-2005, 03:09 PM
If they fire Miley, and I was the interviewer of prospective candidates, the first question I ask would be: "Would you ever, under any circumstances start Jason Romano over KGJ" if answer was yes, interview over

...interview over, job offered....Romano is DanO's guy... :devil:

guttle11
06-05-2005, 03:11 PM
...interview over, job offered....Romano is DanO's guy... :devil:

i know :bang:

fs43340
06-05-2005, 03:14 PM
George Grande, ''Smooch Smooch Mr.Allen.'' ''Smooch Smooch,George'', Allen replies. Welch, ''Smooch Smooch Mr. Allen.'' ''Smooch Smooch Chris, Allen replies.

guttle11
06-05-2005, 03:14 PM
maybe, John Allen thinks he controls the world, Fires Lindner. Carl too dumb to realize sells the team. Allen then DanO, Miley, Gullett, and himself

Big Klu
06-05-2005, 03:17 PM
"The Emperor is displeased."

http://www.thesith.com/vader/extras/vader1.jpg = http://www.redszone.com/forums/customavatars/avatar35_3.gif

CrackerJack
06-05-2005, 03:19 PM
Damage control is fine by me, as long as whatever it is, it works.

DC as in holding a news-less press conference and flying to Colorado and letting the press know why. Posturing in other words. Not really referring to whatever moves they make a week or so from now, just his appearance today.

LvJ
06-05-2005, 03:23 PM
Are the Reds just as bad as prostate cancer?

Chip R
06-05-2005, 03:23 PM
MLB always does something for prostate cancer around Father's Day. I still think something must be up for him to fly to Denver today. He could talked about the prostate cancer fundraiser when they were home this week.Those must be the internal options they talk about. ;)

Team Clark
06-05-2005, 03:57 PM
I smell a weasel...

Reds4Life
06-05-2005, 04:04 PM
So what are you hearing TC, someone about to get axed? Not sure why Allen would bother to fly in for that, all he needs to do is pick up the phone.

westofyou
06-05-2005, 04:08 PM
Not sure why Allen would bother to fly in for that, all he needs to do is pick up the phone.

Free trip to a nice city, good steak and a break from Cincinnati?

String Cheese show in Boulder?

Purchasing John Denver's Ranch for Lindner?

Endless possibilities.

Reds4Life
06-05-2005, 04:10 PM
Free trip to a nice city, good steak and a break from Cincinnati?

String Cheese show in Boulder?

Purchasing John Denver's Ranch for Lindner?

Endless possibilities.

I was thinking maybe he has family in Denver or something, but ya those will work too. :p:

Falls City Beer
06-05-2005, 04:14 PM
The message has changed: no longer "Stop Sucking"; now it's "Get Talented."

Paradigm shift. I like it.

MartyFan
06-05-2005, 04:18 PM
I bet they make the news after the game...what do you think the flap with Junior and Dunn along with the play the last couple days has inspired Allen to make the trip...he wants to view the Mutany himself...he'll talk to both the managers and players and then make a clean sweep of the management...Hir Lou Pinella from Tampa and send them Austin Kearns or Wily Mo Pena.

IT IS WRITTEN....LET IT BE SO!

Jesus Freak
06-05-2005, 04:35 PM
I'll bet DanO and Allen plan to name Rich Aurilla player-manager. They figured if Pete Rose was able to lead the Reds from the bottom to 4 straight second place finshes, then Aurilla can as well. After all, he's scrappy!!

TeamBoone
06-05-2005, 04:38 PM
Well. The conversation between Allen and the tv duo seems a bit fluffy. You know, the usual... lots of stuff not going well, turn it around right now!, need more leadership in the clubhouse, never say never that someone could be let go, not beyond the realm of possibility that somone could be added but no promises, yadda, yadda, yadda. Nothing we haven't heard before... same old, same old. Instead of addressing the REAL problems... inept management, ridiculous lineups, inconsistent lineups... to coin a phrase "you know the story".

Anyway... nothing new. Just reinforcing what's already said a bazillion times with nothing said (admitted) about what's being done, if anything, about righting the ship.

"What do you want to say to the fans?" Allen: "we're working hard; we want to win".

Bah humbug. Much ado about nothing.

MartyFan
06-05-2005, 04:41 PM
Look, as inept as Allen is at putting a FO staff together that actually knows anything about the game...I refuse to believe he would go all the way to Colorado to do anything other than let Dave Miley go...It's just a gut feeling...and one thing I have is a very large and perseptive gut.

LoganBuck
06-05-2005, 04:41 PM
TeamBoone beat me too it!

John Allen is with Chris and George right now.
A bunch of the same: We are committed to winning.
Have talked to some players.
Talked to Coaching staff.
We are trying hard.
Its hard work.
Will not rule out anything. And sites All Star game as a time when moves often start being made.
Won't rule out player moves both additions and subtractions.
Excited about players coming off DL.
The fans want us to win.
The nucleus of the team is good.
Sites Lopez as a new piece to the puzzle.
Pitchers (Wilson, Milton, Graves) have made it tough, everyone is trying hard and is dedicated.

JaxRed
06-05-2005, 04:43 PM
Actually I think there was one little bit of info there. He had some one on one conversations with players he has known for a long time. (he said 10 years). That sounds to me like getting opinions on Miley.

guttle11
06-05-2005, 04:43 PM
John Allen Qutoes:

"Mr Lindner is a winner, He was won at every thing he has done.(except baseball)
"We want to win"
"Were working hard, were trying hard. noone is trying harderthan us.(uh John, Avis already took that)

guttle11
06-05-2005, 04:44 PM
did anyone else see Barmes fall into the dugout??? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

membengal
06-05-2005, 04:45 PM
"What do you want to say to the fans?" Allen: "we're working hard; we want to win".

Bah humbug. Much ado about nothing.

Danny Graves in May to Paul Daugherty: "It hurts when fans boo. We try as hard as we can."

Hey John Allen: it should be taken as a given that you and the FO are "working hard", kinda having the same reaction to that non-news as I did to Danny Graves' "we are trying hard"...what do you want, a cookie? You are kind of SUPPOSED to work hard.

Tell us what's being done to fix this or get out of the booth with your big bunch of nothing.

fs43340
06-05-2005, 04:46 PM
SMOOCH SMOOCH MR.ALLEN said the tv guys. Notice he went on t.v. rather than with Marty on the radio. Pure p.r. and pure something else if you know what I mean.

Mainspark
06-05-2005, 04:50 PM
Why couldn't Allen have discussed Miley's abilities with these players that he supposedly trusts upon their return to Cincinnati this evening?
And wouldn't Dan O'Brien fire Miley, unless he himself is also being terminated?
Is it possible Allen went to Colorado largely to wish convicted felon and financier Michael Milken well in his efforts against colon cancer?

RFS62
06-05-2005, 04:51 PM
Miley is history. Allen is just doing due diligence, talking to a few players first.

MartyFan
06-05-2005, 04:54 PM
Miley is history. Allen is just doing due diligence, talking to a few players first.

Okay, so will Narron be the guy or will we see something like a trade to the D-Rays for sweet lou?

RFS62
06-05-2005, 04:56 PM
Narron would be an interim, IMO.

Then the Reds massive brain trust would have time to ponder Miley's successor.

westofyou
06-05-2005, 04:57 PM
Okay, so will Narron be the guy or will we see something like a trade to the D-Rays for sweet lou?

Sweet Lou 54 lineups in 54 games, that will play well around here.

So is Miley's ineptness causing another Cleveland Crybabies incident here? Or is he just Don Hefner bad?

Ravenlord
06-05-2005, 05:01 PM
anyone else notice REDREAD hasn't been on since last night? ;)

MartyFan
06-05-2005, 05:01 PM
Sweet Lou 54 lineups in 54 games, that will play well around here.

So is Miley's ineptness causing another Cleveland Crybabies incident here? Or is he just Don Hefner bad?

Yeah, I m kind of playing the devils advocate here...I mean, I love Lou's spirit but we don't have the team that he needs to have around him...we need a teacher who can mentor relate and not be intimidated by the superstars...

Cleveland crybabies? MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION.

MartyFan
06-05-2005, 05:02 PM

ummm...no...but neither was I until a little while ago....hmmmm...gets me wondering who I am...

westofyou
06-05-2005, 05:08 PM
New Reds manager?

http://www.deadballart.com/reds2.gif

guttle11
06-05-2005, 05:10 PM
I have a feeling that Miley's services will be terminated when the plane lands in Covington. Narron will be interim man, Bowa will be here after the all-star break

TeamCasey
06-05-2005, 05:12 PM

:laugh:

jmcclain19
06-05-2005, 05:16 PM

John....errr...RedRead gets real upset when you blow his cover on here guys ;)

Team Clark
06-05-2005, 05:30 PM
I made some quick calls but no one picked up. My guess would be Miley will get the axe. Just a guess.

TeamBoone
06-05-2005, 05:32 PM
Actually I think there was one little bit of info there. He had some one on one conversations with players he has known for a long time. (he said 10 years). That sounds to me like getting opinions on Miley.

Who's been on the team for 10 years, even including minor league time?

TC81190
06-05-2005, 05:35 PM
Jason LaRue is one.

guttle11
06-05-2005, 05:40 PM
Greene pulled a hammy, OUCH

corkedbat
06-05-2005, 06:07 PM
I know this team may need more discipline, but for the love of Sparky, there must be a better answer than Larry Bowa! :bang:

Besides, what kind of signal would that send? Hiring Larry Bowa during a prostate awareness campaign? :evil:

Big Klu
06-05-2005, 06:19 PM
Who's been on the team for 10 years, even including minor league time?

I don't know about the ten years...but I figured he was talking about Jason LaRue, Kent Mercker, Sean Casey, and Ken Griffey Jr.

Falls City Beer
06-05-2005, 06:20 PM
What if they keep peeling away the layers of the onion and find Rich Aurilia has been at the center all along?

Team Clark
06-05-2005, 06:30 PM
Miley gone. Narron Interim. Chambliss given 10 days or he will be fired. Gullett Reassigned (they owe him a lot of money). Ruhle in. Griffey Sr. on call. No Bowa. Reds will talk to Manuel, Graham, Terry Collins and short list of others. No decision until early July or the All Star break. This is my educated guess.

I had one call back today and he too believes Miley is getting the axe "right about now". LOL! Thank GOD.

KittyDuran
06-05-2005, 06:32 PM
anyone else notice REDREAD hasn't been on since last night? ;) :roll:

KittyDuran
06-05-2005, 06:33 PM
anyone else notice REDREAD hasn't been on since last night? ;)Actually, REDREAD is probably laying low so he doesn't look too excited about the change of events [he might start liking the FO-can't have that... :devil: ;) ]

CTA513
06-05-2005, 06:35 PM
Miley will be fired but the person that replaces him is Aurilia.... now Aurilia gets to play every day.

:)

dsmith421
06-05-2005, 06:52 PM
Miley will be fired but the person that replaces him is Aurilia.... now Aurilia gets to play every day.

:)

Not quite sure that's necessary. The craziest thing about this team is that there is only one guy who HAS to be in the lineup every day if he's healthy. It's not the guy that hit 46 homeruns last year, it's not the guy with the .400+ on-base percentage and all the steals, it's not the two young outfielders with unlimited upside, it's not even the 500-HR Hall of Famer or the potential All-Star shortstop who is turning heads all over the league. No, it's a has-been/steroids never-was who is hitting a hair over .200, won't take a walk, has no range in the field, and apparently complains to the media when superior players play above him.

Seriously, this Aurilia fixation has got to be one of the most puzzling things I've ever seen in sports.

Maldez
06-05-2005, 08:05 PM

It didn't really sound to me like John Allen had his finger on the trigger to fire anybody. What I gleaned from his conversation with "the boys in the booth" is he was just hoping things just got better so he wouldn't have to to any of that messy firing stuff.

Allen said something along the lines of "never say never", like "Well, yeah, it's possible I might do something extreme, but it's not on my current list of things to do."

Redsland
06-05-2005, 11:09 PM
Thanks for your thoughts, TCII.

:thumbup:

KronoRed
06-05-2005, 11:24 PM
Miley would be gone before Dan O'Brien.

and Jerry Narron would take over and we're still in the same place :(

Jpup
06-05-2005, 11:35 PM
What did Marty have to say about all of this?

Chip R
06-05-2005, 11:43 PM
The gutsy thing for Allen to do would be to fire DanO (and then resign). The safe thing to do will be to fire Miley. Not that Miley doesn't deserve to be fired but perhaps he would manage different if DanO wasn't around. And if he doesn't, he gets the boot as well.

REDREAD
06-06-2005, 12:47 AM
:angry: For the last time, I'm not John Allen :lol:

Allen needs to fire DanO too, and then fire himself. I don't want to hear any BS about how Allen wanted someone other than DanO.. If that's true, Allen didn't assert himself and further proves that Allen has zero value to this team.

Jpup
06-06-2005, 12:52 AM
The gutsy thing for Allen to do would be to fire DanO (and then resign). The safe thing to do will be to fire Miley. Not that Miley doesn't deserve to be fired but perhaps he would manage different if DanO wasn't around. And if he doesn't, he gets the boot as well.

I tend to agree with firing DanO and then see what happens with Miley. It couldn't hurt.

schroomytunes
06-06-2005, 06:47 AM
With Allen showing up in Colorado, and an off day on Monday I'm willing to bet we see some sort of move made on Monday. I for one think that a trade is in the works, and I'm figuring that Allen's talk with Griffey was more about him being a leader and taking charge of this team. Now I know Wily Mo's coming back for the TB series, and I"m gonna say Romano gets sent back down. Thats not the big move though, I think the move will be one of these here:

1)Miley,Gullet,and Chambliss get the boot

2)Casey/Larue- are traded to the Red Sox for Shoppach(c)ML, Abe Alvarez(p)AAA,and Jon Lester(p) AA

3)Dan Obrien gets the boot

I'm betting on #1, and they are replaced by members within the organization on an interim basis and reavaluated at the end of the year. Hopefully we will get a competent manager who knows how to make game winning decisions.