PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Draft Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

GriffeyFan
06-06-2005, 08:51 PM
Has Baseball America put out its mock draft yet?

Teamonebaseball.com has one, but you have to be a subscriber.

I'd just like to see a college player picked in the first round. That's my only criteria for being happy with the first pick.

WVRed
06-06-2005, 09:21 PM
BBAs mock comes out tomorrow. My guess is, that will be the Bible for all of the picks made, as they were pretty accurate last year.

OnBaseMachine
06-06-2005, 11:13 PM
The BBA website says the mock draft will be posted tonight. :confused:

Update on Cameron Maybin

3. Cameron Maybin, of, T.C. Roberson HS, Asheville, N.C.
6/6 Update: Clubs don’t doubt Maybin’s talent, but his reported asking price and the trend of drafting college players makes his draft position uncertain

Jay Bruce

9. Jay Bruce, of, West Brook HS, Beaumont, Texas
6/5 Update: Unheralded at the start of the year, his five-tool potential has won over scouts, with the Mets having interest at 9

Jeff Clement

12. Jeff Clement, c, U. of Southern California
6/6 Update: Rumors persist he'll go in the first 10 picks, with the strongest word having him going third overall to the Mariners

8. Craig Hansen, rhp, St. John's U.
6/6 Update: Opened eyes with dominating performance Friday in just his fourth college start, hitting 97 mph with his fastball and upper 80s with his slider; his slider topped out at 90

M2
06-06-2005, 11:44 PM
And here's one to make your stomach churn.

25. Cliff Pennington, ss, Texas A&M 6/5 Update: Pirates and Reds are eyeing him strongly as budget-minded pick at 11-12 spots

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2005, 12:07 AM
I wouldn't be upset if the Reds drafted Lance Broadway, rhp, TCU.

I will be pleased if the Reds end up with one of this group(no particular order): Ryan Braun, Matt Torra, Cesar Carillo, Jeff Clement, Lance Broadway, Troy Tulowitzki, Jay Bruce, Trevor Crowe, Mike Pelfrey, Cameron Maybin, Ricky Romero, or Luke Hochevar.

Atleast 3 or 4 of those players will be available when the Reds pick.

I didn't list players that had zilch chance of falling to the Reds(Upton, Zimmerman, Gordon).

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2005, 12:32 AM
June 6: Cuban Defectors Update
by John Manuel

While the buzz is all good on shortstop Yuniel Escobar, the buzz on righthander Maels Rodriguez is not. Rodriguez has joined Escobar (and the group of Cuban defectors who are working out with Escobar at Braddock High in Miami) by putting his name into the first-year player draft. Rodriguez had been declared a free agent last winter but had been having visa difficulties, as well as difficulty regaining the velocity on a fastball that touched 100 mph in the 2000 Olympics. Reports this spring of Rodriguez' workouts with clubs such as the Orioles indicated he was throwing in the mid-to-upper 80s. He was ridden hard in Cuba prior to defecting (pitching five times in a seven-game playoff series), suffered back and shoulder injuries and enters the draft as a wild card.

Escobar, meanwhile, has done nothing but improve in clubs' eyes, and heading into Tuesday's draft he was likely to be a first-round pick. Clubs have two main concerns with the shortstop, who scouts are saying is shorter than his reported 6-foot-2 listed height. First, they want to verify Escobar's age; he's likely 22 or 23. Second, they question just how much power is in his bat, but it appears they won't be able to ponder him for long, because enough teams are interested that he seems unlikely to last into the second round.

GriffeyFan
06-07-2005, 07:54 AM
the final first round projection is up on BBA...anyone have access?

JaxRed
06-07-2005, 08:25 AM
BBA says Bruce

lollipopcurve
06-07-2005, 08:46 AM

25. Cliff Pennington, ss, Texas A&M 6/5 Update: Pirates and Reds are eyeing him strongly as budget-minded pick at 11-12 spots

O'Brien's quotes that they're looking to get someone who plays a "premium position" -- which he defines as including 2B -- does not bode well. With the exception of someone like Rickie Weeks, what kind of 2B should go this high? (I'm assuming they'd characterize Pennington as a 2B.)

BA goes on to say HS RHP Chaz Roe is a sleeper for the Reds at #12. Hold on to your hats, folks.

WVRed
06-07-2005, 08:55 AM
12. Reds: Jay Bruce, of, West Brook HS, Beaumont, Texas

The Reds would love to take a middle infielder here. In their wildest dreams, they'd get Tulowitzki, and they also have designs on taking Pennington. But if the Nationals, Rockies and Mets all pass on Bruce, Cincinnati will find him too tempting to do the same. Kentucky high school righthander Chaz Roe is a dark horse candidate.

REDREAD
06-07-2005, 09:28 AM

:bang: :bang: Please, we don't need any more budget minded picks in the system.

Sadly though, I could see Allen using the disappointing attendence as an excuse to gut the draft budget.

Red Leader
06-07-2005, 09:30 AM
Seriously, if this draft is all about "signability" we might as well give up now.

I'm already thinking this team won't be competitive for AT LEAST 4 more years.

A bad draft today sets us back another 1-2 years on top of that, IMO.

Red Leader
06-07-2005, 09:32 AM
I wouldn't be upset if the Reds drafted Lance Broadway, rhp, TCU.

I will be pleased if the Reds end up with one of this group(no particular order): Ryan Braun, Matt Torra, Cesar Carillo, Jeff Clement, Lance Broadway, Troy Tulowitzki, Jay Bruce, Trevor Crowe, Mike Pelfrey, Cameron Maybin, Ricky Romero, or Luke Hochevar.

Atleast 3 or 4 of those players will be available when the Reds pick.

I didn't list players that had zilch chance of falling to the Reds(Upton, Zimmerman, Gordon).

Like OBM said, there WILL be at least 1 of the guys above available when the Reds pick. If they don't choose one out of that list, O'Brien needs to handed his pink slip.

KronoRed
06-07-2005, 09:37 AM
Seriously, if this draft is all about "signability" we might as well give up now.

I'm already thinking this team won't be competitive for AT LEAST 4 more years.

A bad draft today sets us back another 1-2 years on top of that, IMO.

Agreed, if I hear signability in regards to our pick I think I'll go bananas

k9red
06-07-2005, 09:42 AM
What time is the first pick.?

GoReds
06-07-2005, 09:43 AM
What time is the first pick.?

...and is there a link available to follow in real-time?

Red Leader
06-07-2005, 09:50 AM
I believe the draft starts at 1pm EST. Not 100% on that, but pretty sure.

Here's a link you can follow.

http://teamonebaseball.rivals.com/draft.asp?Draft=50

MLB.com has draft coverage as well, but I've found that this link updates picks much faster, especially after round 1.

REDREAD
06-07-2005, 09:54 AM

Yes, the whole reason that we're in the mess we are today is due largely to the generally poor drafts since Kearns/Dunn.. The drafts produced a couple of other players, but the pipeline isn't nearly as stocked as it should.

Today is an opportunity to begin to reverse 5 years of incompetence. If Carl really wants to build a winner, he should give DanO orders to draft the best available player at every round.. make money no object. A lot of quality players slip into later rounds. Don't see that happening though

flyer85
06-07-2005, 09:58 AM
Seriously, if this draft is all about "signability" we might as well give up now.I can't see the Reds taking a Boras client.

Hooligan
06-07-2005, 10:11 AM
I'd like to see the Reds take LHP Brian Bogusevic from Tulane. He was 13-1 with 2 complete games, 38/119 bb/k ratio had a 1.21 WHIP and held batters to a .239 BAA. He could be a good one.

Red Leader
06-07-2005, 10:11 AM
I can't see the Reds taking a Boras client.

There are other players out there that aren't Boras clients, that wouldn't be labeled as being drafted in the 12th spot just because they were "signable", but rather because they SHOULD have been drafted 1-10 because of their talent.

I agree with you, though. I don't think the Reds will take a Boras client, especially in the 1st round.

Red Leader
06-07-2005, 10:15 AM
Can we get a "sticky" on this thread for the ORG forum as well?

zombie-a-go-go
06-07-2005, 10:18 AM
Can we get a "sticky" on this thread for the ORG forum as well?

If you insist, Frosty. :rolleyes:

:D

Red Leader
06-07-2005, 10:21 AM
Frosty? Why I outta neg you! :laugh:

Oh, and chicks dig the highlights.

Puffy
06-07-2005, 10:21 AM
For quick reference, BA's top 400 draft prospects (200 hitters & 200 pitchers):

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/2005draft/top200h.html

zombie-a-go-go
06-07-2005, 10:23 AM
Oh, and chicks dig the highlights.

If my hair ever grows back, I'll keep that in mind. :cool:

Red Leader
06-07-2005, 10:28 AM
Thanks for that link, Puffy. That will get used by me quite regularly today.

OnBaseMachine
Pennington is scrappy...so I could see the Reds taking him. Not that I agree with it. If they are going to overdraft a middle infielder pick Jed Lowrie.

Oh and I'll be throwing things if they take Chaz Roe. High school pitchers get a big :thumbdown from me.

flyer85
There are other players out there that aren't Boras clients, that wouldn't be labeled as being drafted in the 12th spot just because they were "signable", but rather because they SHOULD have been drafted 1-10 because of their talent..like tuluzawososski.:all_cohol

flyer85
06-07-2005, 10:32 AM
if the reds draft a position player it better be someone who can rake, else they need to stick with pitching, pitching and more pitching. Look for power arms.

TRF
06-07-2005, 10:36 AM
anyone care to post BA's projection. it's out, but requires membership.

traderumor
06-07-2005, 10:36 AM
As far as position players, I hope we draft some baseball players. No, that's not OB speak, but I'm talking about some guys who understand and can play the game in addition to obvious talent. Sort of like the boatload of guys we had come through here in the 80s that netted a WC in 1990.

REDREAD
06-07-2005, 10:42 AM
If Dano drafts a high school pitcher or an obvious signablity pick in the first round, can we get temporary permission to use masked profanity ? (Just joking :lol: )

KronoRed
06-07-2005, 10:44 AM
If Dano drafts a high school pitcher or an obvious signablity pick in the first round, can we get temporary permission to use masked profanity ? (Just joking :lol: )

Sounds like a plan ;)

Puffy
06-07-2005, 10:46 AM

I'll swear like Ralphie when he beats up the bully in A Christmas Story.

paintmered
06-07-2005, 10:52 AM

I grant you temporary liberal use of these guys:

:angry: :bang: :all_cohol :explode: :yikes: :barf: :rant2: :censored: :runawaycr :rant:

:D

Aronchis
06-07-2005, 11:01 AM
BA mouthing off more non-factual stuff. Surprise, surprise.

GoReds
06-07-2005, 11:04 AM
I believe the draft starts at 1pm EST. Not 100% on that, but pretty sure.

Here's a link you can follow.

MLB.com has draft coverage as well, but I've found that this link updates picks much faster, especially after round 1.

That's cool! But, who is this Montreal team that is picking fourth?!? :laugh:

Reds Fanatic
06-07-2005, 11:07 AM
MLB.COM is supposed to have live video coverage of the draft starting at 12:30.

Red Leader
06-07-2005, 11:11 AM
That's cool! But, who is this Montreal team that is picking fourth?!? :laugh:

Not sure. :confused: Expansion draft? :laugh:

On a serious note, I'm interested to see how Bowden drafts today, and to compare his draw to O'Brien's when all is said and done.

jmcclain19
06-07-2005, 11:35 AM
here's the whole BA first round

1. Diamondbacks: Justin Upton, ss, Great Bridge HS, Chesapeake, Va.
The Diamondbacks have been telling teams for close to a week that they'll take Upton, the younger brother of 2002 No. 2 overall choice B.J. Upton and the high schooler with perhaps the highest ceiling since Ken Griffey Jr. While a deal had yet to be finalized as of last Monday night—Arizona is believed to have made an opening offer of a $4 million bonus, with Upton's side countering with a contract similar to the $5.5 million deal the Diamondbacks gave 2004 first-rounder Stephen Drew on May 30—that shouldn't stop Upton from going No. 1. Plan B appears to be Wichita State righthander Mike Pelfrey.
2. Royals: Alex Gordon, 3b, U. of Nebraska
Originally rumored to be looking for an extreme signability pick, the Royals will take the best player on the board in Gordon, a five-tool third baseman who's the most complete hitter in college baseball. His asking price is believed to be a major league contract in the neighborhood of $5 million. Kansas City has visited with Upton and would take him on the off chance he falls, and also thinks highly of North Carolina high school outfielder Cameron Maybin and Long Beach State shortstop Troy Tulowitzki.
3. Mariners: Jeff Clement, c, U. of Southern California
The Mariners were expected to take Tulowitzki as recently as Friday, but they're looking for a catcher and a power bat. Clement fits the bill on both counts, and as a bonus he's lefthanded. Seattle would gladly snap up Upton or Gordon if one of them falls to No. 3. Rumors persist that the Mariners are considering Stanford first baseman John Mayberry Jr., their unsigned 2002 first-rounder, but he would be a huge reach.
4. Nationals: Ryan Zimmerman, 3b, U. of Virginia
The Nationals have been locked in on Zimmerman for weeks, but they were tempted by Texas high school outfielder Jay Bruce after Bruce's impressive RFK Stadium workout on Saturday. In the end, the fact that Zimmerman is closer to the big leagues and is a potential Gold Glove third baseman are the deciding factors, though Bruce has one of the highest ceilings in the draft.
5. Brewers: Ryan Braun, 3b, U. of Miami
The Brewers keep their draft board closer to the vest than most clubs. Scouting director Jack Zduriencik's preference is believed to be Maybin, but four of Milwaukee's last five first-round picks were high schoolers and GM Doug Melvin wants a more experienced player this time around. The Brewers would love a crack at Gordon or Zimmerman, but instead will address their needs at third base with Braun, one of the best college bats available. They also looked at Tulowitzki, but he balked at the idea of moving to the hot corner.
6. Blue Jays: Ricky Romero, lhp, Cal State Fullerton
This is the biggest lock in the first 10 picks. Barring an almost impossible scenario where Upton or Gordon would drop this far, the Blue Jays are going to take Romero, the best lefty in a draft that's thin at that position.
7. Rockies: Troy Tulowitzki, ss, Long Beach State
The Rockies preferred to take Tennessee righthander Luke Hochevar, a Colorado native. But after two days of discussions, Colorado couldn't get any assurance that it wouldn't be in for a lengthy negotiation with Hochevar's adviser, Scott Boras. On Monday afternoon, the Rockies decided to pass on Hochevar, who is thought to desire a major league contract in the neighborhood of $5 million. Getting Tulowitzki is a nice consolation, especially after it looked like he would go third overall, and he gets the nod over Bruce and Maybin.
8. Devil Rays: Wade Townsend, rhp, Dripping Springs, Texas
The biggest mystery in the first 10 picks is this one. For weeks, the Devil Rays bore down on three players: Clement, St. John's reliever Craig Hansen and former Rice righthander Townsend. But in the last couple of days before the draft, Clement suddenly jumped to No. 3; Hansen, who has been a reliever for most of his college career, scared off Tampa Bay with his demands similar to fellow Boras client Hochevar; and Townsend bombed in a Sunday workout at St. Lucie, Fla. The scouting department likes Florida high school outfielder Andrew McCutchen, but upper management wants a more experienced player. After six straight college picks go off the board, there's no obvious alternative. Townsend, the eighth overall pick a year ago by the Orioles, could come at a discount after sitting out a year, and that might keep him in Tampa Bay's mix. If he doesn't go here, he could drop all the way out of the first round.
9. Mets: Mike Pelfrey, rhp, Wichita State U.
Boras advises the top three pitching prospects in this draft in Pelfrey, Hochevar and Hansen. Pelfrey is looking for the same kind of contract as the others, and he looks like the only one of the three who won't have to drop down in the first round to get it. If he does prove too rich for the Mets, they'd turn to Bruce. GM Omar Minaya was poised to draft Townsend last year while with the Expos, but has backed off after Sunday's workout at the Mets' spring-training complex.
10. Tigers: Cameron Maybin, of, T.C. Roberson HS, Arden, N.C.
New Tigers scouting director David Chadd used to coach at Wichita State, and he'd love to be able to grab Pelfrey, whom he knows personally. He can take solace in the fact that Maybin, Baseball America's No. 3-rated prospect, hasn't found a fit by now and will be available at No. 10. If Maybin does find a home before Detroit, the Tigers will turn to Tulowitzki if he drops or McCutchen.
11. Pirates: Andrew McCutchen, of, Fort Meade (Fla.) HS
In both 2002 and 2003, the Pirates' scouting department preferred high school players only to have ownership mandate college selections—a decision that cost them B.J. Upton. Last year, Pittsburgh took high school catcher Neil Walker in this slot. This time, Pirates scouts want the athletic McCutchen and apparently will be allowed to take him, though upper management would prefer a college player such as Texas A&M shortstop Cliff Pennington or Massachusetts righthander Matt Torra.
12. Reds: Jay Bruce, of, West Brook HS, Beaumont, Texas
The Reds would love to take a middle infielder here. In their wildest dreams, they'd get Tulowitzki, and they also have designs on taking Pennington. But if the Nationals, Rockies and Mets all pass on Bruce, Cincinnati will find him too tempting to do the same. Kentucky high school righthander Chaz Roe is a dark horse candidate.
13. Orioles: Brandon Snyder, c/ss, Westfield HS, Centreville, Va.
New Orioles scouting director Joe Jordan comes from the Marlins and is expected to follow a similar high-ceiling philosophy. Baltimore hopes that Bruce falls to them, but he won't quite make it. Florida high school righthander Chris Volstad wobbled right before the draft, allowing athletic Virginia high school catcher Brandon Snyder (whose father Brian pitched in the big leagues) to move slightly ahead of him in the Orioles' eyes.
14. Indians: Trevor Crowe, of, U. of Arizona
The Indians are seeking a college bat, and earlier thoughts that Braun or Clement would make their way to No. 14 haven't materialized. Maybin and McCutchen would be considerations, but they won't be options either. That leaves Cleveland with Crowe, who combines tools, performance and makeup and is a darling of several teams just below. If the Indians switch up and take a pitcher, Miami righthander Cesar Carrillo is the leading candidate.
15. White Sox: Lance Broadway, rhp, Texas Christian U.
No prospect has shot up the charts more than Broadway in the last three weeks. He was considered a late supplemental first-rounder until shackling down Tulane, Southern Mississippi and Stanford in successive starts, allowing one run while striking out 26 in 24 innings. Now Broadway has pitched himself into the middle of the first round, and the White Sox will choose him over two Illinois high school products, Tulane lefthander/outfielder Brian Bogusevic and Carrillo.
16. Marlins: Chris Volstad, rhp, Palm Beach Gardens (Fla.) HS
After fearing that the Orioles and former Marlins employee Joe Jordan would take Volstad, Florida will gladly grab the projectable 6-foot-7 righthander who already can reach 94 mph. The Marlins also would look at McCutchen, two-sport star C.J. Henry and Snyder, but Volstad still would be their man.
17. Yankees: C.J. Henry, ss/of, Putnam City HS, Oklahoma City
The Yankees appear to be a natural home for a Boras client, and are believed to covet Hansen and will get the unexpected opportunity to take Hochevar. But multiple sources insist New York won't give out a major league contract and won't pass on Henry, a top prospect in basketball as well as baseball. Henry, who has as much upside as nearly anyone in the draft, prefers baseball and won't be an unusually tough sign. If the Marlins switch gears and take Henry, the Yankees would take Volstad, and they also like Snyder.
18. Padres: Cesar Carrillo, rhp, U. of Miami
Originally thought to be looking at Crowe and Oregon State outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury, the Padres are now considering the same pitchers the White Sox are. If Chicago passes on Broadway, San Diego will not. Otherwise, the Padres will go with the hard-throwing Cesar Carrillo, who won the first 24 decisions of his college career.
19. Rangers: Travis Buck, of, Arizona State U.
Several names have been associated with the Rangers, and they seem to change daily. College righthanders Mark McCormick (Baylor), Torra and Matt Garza (Fresno State) first surfaced, and then the focus shifted to high schoolers such as Maybin, McCutchen, Snyder and Volstad. Texas appeared to be in line to get Snyder before the Orioles decided on him, and the Rangers apparently have cooled on the college righties. If Crowe is gone, Texas likely will take Buck. He's a gifted hitter and a baseball rat, though scouts would like to see him show more power.
20. Cubs: Luke Hochevar, rhp, U. of Tennessee
The Cubs haven't been afraid to take Boras guys in the draft, and three years ago they used the No. 21 pick to take Boras client Bobby Brownlie when he nosedived. They'll be in position to do the same with Hochevar, though they've been more closely linked with Utah high school lefthander Mark Pawelek. Before he tailed off at the end of the season, Hochevar was neck and neck with Pelfrey as the top pitching prospect in the draft. If Chicago decides to stay within Major League Baseball's bonus guidelines, Ellsbury could be its man. The Cubs also are known for drafting players from Virginia and like two of the state's high schoolers, shortstop/righthander Justin Bristow and Snyder.
21. Athletics: Cliff Pennington, ss, Texas A&M
Like many of the statistically oriented clubs at the bottom of the draft, the Athletics covet Crowe but they won't be able to take him. Ellsbury looked like their alternative for a while, but now Oakland has shifted its focus to Pennington. He's similar to Boston's second-round pick from a year ago, infielder Dustin Pedroia (who's hitting .307 in Double-A), and Pennington has better tools and is better suited for shortstop. The Athletics could consider sweet-swinging California high school outfielder John Drennen, but they have a good chance to get him in the supplemental first round.
22. Marlins: Aaron Thompson, lhp, Second Baptist HS, Houston
With three picks in the first round and two more in the compensation round, the Marlins will try to avoid stretching their budget as much as they can. One way will be to take the exceptionally polished Thompson, who was considered unsignable as a Texas A&M recruit until the Aggies fired their coaching staff. Florida also likes Tennessee high school righthander Bryan Morris, who rates higher than Thompson on most draft boards, but apparently will gamble that Morris will still be around at No. 29.
23. Red Sox: Jacoby Ellsbury, of, Oregon State U.
The Red Sox have the money to sign Boras clients, and last year they gave one (lefthander Mike Rozier) a $1.575 million bonus as a 12th-rounder. Boston has been linked to both Hansen and Pawelek, though it's unlikely they'd take both and it probably can get either one at No. 26. With that in mind, the Red Sox will opt for either Ellsbury, billed as Johnny Damon with less pop, or Bogusevic. Homestate product Torra also is a possibility.
24. Astros: Mark McCormick, rhp, Baylor U.
The Astros always are connected to several Texas prospects, and this year is no exception with McCormick and Pennington close to the top of their preference list. Torra is from Pittsfield, Mass., as is Houston's new scouting director Paul Ricciarini, and he's also in the mix—strictly on merit. McCormick can be erratic on the mound, but he also has an electric arm and the Astros won't pass him up just because he's a Boras client. Fireballing McNeese State righthander Jacob Marceaux also could get a look, but Houston stands a good chance to get him at No. 38.
25. Twins: Brian Bogusevic, lhp/of, Tulane U.
The Twins were zeroing in on Snyder the weekend before the draft, but then his stock took a late jump above their reach. Crowe, Volstad and Henry also are on Minnesota's wish list and expected to be long gone. Bogusevic, a two-way talent whom most teams prefer as a three-pitch lefty, is a nice value at No. 25, however. If he's not available, the Twins likely would opt for Roe.
26. Red Sox: Craig Hansen, rhp, St. John's U.
The Red Sox certainly noticed when Hansen dominated the nearby Cape Cod League last summer, and he could provide very quick relief for the club's beleaguered bullpen with his mid-90s fastball and mid-80s slider. Pawelek is another Boras-related possibility, and if Boston decides to go for an easier sign it could turn to Torra or North Carolina State reliever Joey Devine.
27. Braves: Chaz Roe, rhp, Lafayette HS, Lexington, Ky.
It's no secret that the Braves love projectable high school pitchers and prospects from the Southeast. That gives them two obvious candidates in Roe and Morris. Roe has generated a lot of momentum leading up to the draft, and it will carry him all the way into the first round. If Pawelek was willing to take slot money at this point, he could be tempting.
28. Cardinals: Mark Pawelek, lhp, Springville (Utah) HS
The Cardinals have been extremely quiet this spring and few clubs have a handle on what they're going to do. Though they didn't sign any high school players in 2004, St. Louis is expected to spend one of its two first-rounders on a prep pitcher. The Cardinals have a history of dealing with Boras, and Pawelek will be the top high school arm on the board. St. Louis is also believed to like Roe, Morris and Florida high school righty Tyler Herron, who had a pair of notable duels with Volstad this spring. The Marlins are likely looking for a high school arm at No. 29, so it behooves the Cardinals to make their college selection at No. 30.
29. Marlins: Bryan Morris, rhp, Tullahoma (Tenn.) HS
Morris has a fresh arm and a power arsenal, and he could spare the Marlins' 2005 budget by signing as a draft-and-follow next year. Though Morris has said he'll sign as a first-rounder, he'd also like to play one season with his father Ricky, an assistant coach at Motlow (Tenn.) Community College. Florida could take Morris now and sign him next spring. Marceaux appears to be the Marlins' fallback plan.
30. Cardinals: Jed Lowrie, 2b, Stanford U.
Lowrie is the college player most closely linked to St. Louis. He's similar offensively to Adam Kennedy, the Cardinals' 1997 first-rounder, and he's a better defender. Other candidates expected to be available include Texas catcher Taylor Teagarden (another Boras client) and Mayberry (who also won't come cheap) as hitters, and Torra, Long Beach State lefthander Cesar Ramos and Devine on the mound.

Supplemental First Round

31. Diamondbacks: Cesar Ramos, lhp, Long Beach State U.
32. Rockies: Matt Torra, rhp, U. of Massachusetts
33. Indians: Joey Devine, rhp, North Carolina State U.
34. Marlins: Yuniel Escobar, ss, Miami
35. Padres: Chase Headley, 3b, U. of Tennessee
36. Athletics: John Drennen, of, Rancho Bernardo HS, San Diego
37. Angels: Ryan Tucker, rhp, Temple City (Calif.) HS
38. Astros: Jacob Marceaux, rhp, McNeese State U.
39. Twins: Justin Bristow, ss/rhp, Mills Godwin HS, Richmond, Va.
40. Dodgers: Sean West, lhp, Captain Shreve HS, Shreveport, La.
41. Braves: Craig Italiano, rhp, Flower Mound (Texas) HS
42. Red Sox: Colby Rasmus, of, Russell County HS, Phenix City, Ala.
43. Cardinals: Matt Garza, rhp, Fresno State U.
44. Marlins: Clay Buchholz, rhp, Angelina (Texas) JC
45. Red Sox: Ryan Mount, ss, Ayala HS, Chino Hills, Calif.
46. Cardinals: Taylor Teagarden, c, U. of Texas
47. Red Sox: Jonathan Egan, c, Cross Creek HS, Hephzibah, Ga.
48. Orioles: Michael Bowden, rhp, Waubonsie Valley HS, Aurora, Ill.

jmcclain19
06-07-2005, 11:37 AM
They rank Jay Bruce as the No. 1 player out of Texas

1. JAY BRUCE, of (National rank: 12)
School: West Brook HS.
Hometown: Beaumont, Texas.
B-T: L-L. Ht.: 6-2. Wt.: 200. Birthdate: April 3, 1987.
College Commitment: Tulane.
Scouting Report: Coming into 2005, Bruce was regarded as a solid third-round prospect but the fifth-best member of a deep Texas high school outfield crop, behind Jordan Danks, Austin Jackson, Kyle Russell and Jarred Bogany. He since has shot past all of them and into the middle of the first round, and he could go as high as seventh overall to the Rockies. It's a rise reminiscent of Jeremy Hermida's in 2002, and Bruce has similar skills to those of the Marlins' top prospect. Scouts also compare Bruce to Larry Walker. Though he has average to plus tools across the board and enough athleticism to play center field, Bruce profiles better in right field. His swing can get a little long at times, but Bruce is a polished high school hitter. He centers the ball well and already understands the importance of using the entire field. He also has the strength and skill to eventually hit 30-plus homers annually in the majors. His average speed is probably his worst tool, but he plays quicker than his stopwatch readings on the bases and in the outfield. He has more than enough arm to handle the move to right field in pro ball. At one point, Bruce's signability was questionable because he committed to Tulane and chose Scott Boras as his adviser. Bruce since has dropped Boras in favor of Matt Sosnick and is expected to sign for slot money.

KronoRed
06-07-2005, 11:47 AM
Not sure. :confused: Expansion draft? :laugh:

On a serious note, I'm interested to see how Bowden drafts today, and to compare his draw to O'Brien's when all is said and done.

Now that team outta go with a signable pick, considering who the owners are.

jmcclain19
06-07-2005, 11:50 AM
Nice- just to show how much this Bruce kid's stock has risen in just a few months.

BA did a "TOP 100 High School Prospects" back in Feb and Bruce is listed as No. 44

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/highschool/050201top100.html

traderumor
06-07-2005, 11:53 AM
It looks like Maybin is still in the realm of possibilities?

On a different note, just looking over Reds' drafts from '78-92 and it is just depressing. Yes, we drafted Eric Davis, Barry Larkin, Paul O'Neill, Gary Redus, Kal Daniels, Tom Browning, Nick Esasky, Kurt Stillwell, Rob Dibble (secondary phase #1), but I saw far few major leaguers drafted, just wondering how it compares to other organizations historically.

It just seems like a current inefficiency that can be capitalized on, with a "reverse draft" like Steel promoted in another thread, whereby more focus is put on stocking the minors with deals involving minor leaguers. Not insignificant releases from other teams, but purposeful minor league deals that yield talents such as Edwin Encarnacion in deals of marginal major league talent.

Millions of dollars spent on signing bonuses, scouting, and travel for a system that will be lucky to ever pay for itself. Fine if we do not want to divert those resources from the draft, but it would seem a better scouting system of the minor leagues and more significant minor league deals would increase the probability that the development $ are producing more major league players. I know this line of reasoning is incomplete at this point, but being draft day, it just seems like an animal that may be too wild to tame, so another method to stock the organization needs to be developed.

jmcclain19
06-07-2005, 11:57 AM
In the Feb. Preview, BA also lists Bruce as one of the Best "Pure Hitters" in high school baseball

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/highschool/050201hsoverview.html

LvJ
06-07-2005, 11:59 AM
:runaway: We have too many guys from Texas.

M2
06-07-2005, 12:02 PM
I'd be thrilled if they come out of the draft with Bruce. Though if Pelfrey or Hochevar drops to #12 they've got to think long and hard about it. Actually, they've got to pre-think it since they won't have the time to ruminate should it happen.

It'd probably cost them $4M-$5M. Don't know if they've got the scratch for it.

Anyway, here's a callout to princeton, what you thinking with this draft? I'm planting my flag on Bruce.

jmcclain19
06-07-2005, 12:08 PM
Everyone can breathe easier, Volstad has said, according the BA Blog, that the only teams who've mainly been in contact with him are the O's, the Mets and the Yanks

Red Leader
06-07-2005, 12:09 PM
Everyone can breathe easier, Volstad has said, according the BA Blog, that the only teams who've mainly been in contact with him are the O's, the Mets and the Yanks

Whhhheeeeew. ;)

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2005, 12:10 PM

I'm breathing easier, but I'm still worried about Chaz Roe and the guy from Utah.

Puffy
06-07-2005, 12:12 PM
Bruce commited to Tulane huh?

I have changed my opinion of him and now think he should go to college.

Go Wave :thumbup:

Red Leader
06-07-2005, 12:16 PM
TeamOneBaseball is showing that Upton, Gordon, Clement went 1,2,3. Has the draft started?????

Red Leader
06-07-2005, 12:17 PM
Nationals take Zimmerman.

Red Leader
06-07-2005, 12:19 PM
1 (1) Justin Upton Arizona Diamondbacks INF/OF Great Bridge HS
(Consensus #1 pick is the brother of Devil Rays BJ Upton, #2 overall in 2002.) D-Backs take the top overall talent, will he stay in the infield or immediately go to CF? His bat is more advanced than his brother's at this stage of their development.
2 (2) Alex Gordon Kansas City Royals 3B Univ. of Nebraska
(Many wondered if Royals would go with a signability pick, instead of the best player at this spot. Gordon's tool set rates with the best in the nation.) Big time bat, solid defender, above average runner, and a gamer mentality. Gordon will be expected to move very quickly.
3 (3) Jeff Clement Seattle Mariners C University of Southern California
(Clement has beeen on the radar since he set a national home run record in high school.) Clement brings a solid combination of power from the left side of the plate and has good catch and throw skills. He plays everyday and plays hard.
4 (4) Ryan Zimmerman Montreal Expos 3B Univ. of Virginia
(Obviously the team name is Nationals, Rivals has not updated this system yet. In any case, Nationals have to be somewhat cost conscience.) Zimmerman is a solid baseball player but is perceived to be more affordable than some others who might otherwise go at this position.

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2005, 12:20 PM
I thought the draft started at 1?

Red Leader
06-07-2005, 12:20 PM
I thought the draft started at 1?

me too, I'm just posting what's on there.

Red Leader
06-07-2005, 12:22 PM
They haven't updated anything in awhile (its been on the 5th pick for 10 mins or so), so maybe that's a glitch???

Red Leader
06-07-2005, 12:28 PM
TeamOneBaseball just cleared their board. That must have been a glitch.

M2
06-07-2005, 12:30 PM
The MLB broadcast starts at 12:50. Right now they've got a scout on talking about how hard it is to project hitting. Silly man.

flyer85
06-07-2005, 12:35 PM
I did find it interest that Callis is porjecting Luke Hochevar to drop to the Cubs at 20 and Hansen to the Sox at 26. The rich getting richer I suppose.

Joseph
06-07-2005, 12:36 PM
I did find it interest that Callis is porjecting Luke Hochevar to drop to the Cubs at 20.

It's all because of signability, but if he did start to drop, I'd love to see the Reds FO sack up and pick him.

flyer85
06-07-2005, 12:38 PM
It's all because of signabilityWhich is why I expect the Reds to pass.

Joseph
06-07-2005, 12:39 PM
And you are no doubt correct.

flyer85
06-07-2005, 12:39 PM
The Tommy John disease has now struck position players. Tatum and now Janish are done for the year.

Red Leader
06-07-2005, 12:42 PM
If this F.O. wants to show me something, they'll pick a player like Hochevar, who has fallen too far.

flyer85
06-07-2005, 12:43 PM
If this F.O. wants to show me something, they'll pick a player like Hochevar, who has fallen too far.without a doubt.
Who knows maybe Boras actually learned something from last year, but I doubt it.

M2
06-07-2005, 12:46 PM
The Tommy John disease has now struck position players. Tatum and now Janish are done for the year.

Oddly both probably ought to be pitching.

Joseph
06-07-2005, 12:47 PM
without a doubt.
Who knows maybe Boras actually learned something from last year, but I doubt it.

I despise Boras, as I imagine most here do, but if this kid is all he's projected to be, then he could be in Cincinnati in quick fashion, and face it, we/they need pitchers right now.

lollipopcurve
06-07-2005, 12:48 PM
I did find it interest that Callis is porjecting Luke Hochevar to drop to the Cubs at 20 and Hansen to the Sox at 26.

Callis can't hide his Cubs bias. He'll rate their draft very highly -- guaranteed.

jmcclain19
06-07-2005, 12:53 PM
Anyone with XM - the coverage of the draft is now on 176

Falls City Beer
06-07-2005, 12:53 PM
Callis can't hide his Cubs bias. He'll rate their draft very highly -- guaranteed.

Wouldn't you? They get their draft right, like, every year plus infinity.

KronoRed
06-07-2005, 12:54 PM
I'm pumped

More pumped then any games lately :lol:

REDREAD
06-07-2005, 12:55 PM
I'm pumped

Me too, even though we'll probably be disappointed, as far as excitement/anticipation goes, this is going to be the high point of the season.
:laugh:

Joseph
06-07-2005, 12:56 PM
Me too, even though we'll probably be disappointed, as far as excitement/anticipation goes, this is going to be the high point of the season.
:laugh:

And how sad is that? :laugh:

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2005, 12:57 PM
I'm pumped

Me too, until the Reds draft a high school pitcher. Then I'll be :angry: .

Chip R
06-07-2005, 12:59 PM
I didn't realize until just a few minutes ago that Jeff Clement was the kid from Marshalltown, IA who set a national high school record for HRs. Here's an article about him from the Des Moines Register.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050607/SPORTS0201/506070407/1003&lead=1

Clement discovers common thread that links Iowa and California: baseball

By JONATHAN ABRAMS
REGISTER CORRESPONDENT

June 7, 2005

Los Angeles, Calif. - Jeff Clement knew moving from Marshalltown to Los Angeles would present a substantial lifestyle change.

But he discovered a common thread that linked the farmland of Iowa to the hustle and bustle of Hollywood. It was the reason he moved to California: baseball.

"There is no question that it (Los Angeles) was a lot different," said Clement, a left-handed, power-hitting catcher who was originally drafted in the 12th round by the Minnesota Twins and is flourishing in his junior year at Southern California. "It wasn't as bad as everyone said it would be. The focus is always on baseball and school and I haven't had that much time to go out."

The payoff should come today for Clement, who is projected by Baseball America to be drafted in the first round of the amateur draft.

"He is a special player and is on a short list of the best players ever at USC," coach Mike Gillespie said of Clement, who ranks third on USC's career home run list with 44, trailing Mark McGwire (54) and Geoff Jenkins (45). "There is no reason to believe he won't be a major league catcher."

While Clement, a lifelong Chicago Cubs fan, looks forward to the draft, his focus remains on resurrecting a Trojan baseball program that has won a record 12 national titles and produced major league stars such as Barry Zito, Randy Johnson and Mark Prior, but slipped to a 52-60 record during his first two years.

Clement is hitting .352 this year with 13 home runs and 50 runs-batted-in. USC was 39-20 heading into a playoff game late Monday against Pepperdine. The winner plays in the NCAA Super Regionals in Corvallis, Ore.

"I feel like I've gotten a lot better in every phase of the game, playing against this type of competition," said Clement, whose Marshalltown Little League team went to the World Series in Williamsport, Pa.

Clement quickly established himself at USC, eclipsing the freshman record for home runs in 2003, with 21. He missed the first two weeks of his sophomore season with mononucleosis, then rebounded to hit .293, leading the team with 10 home runs and 43 RBIs.

But Clement still longs for some aspects of Iowa life.

"I really miss fishing," he said. "And the traffic out here is ridiculous."

flyer85
06-07-2005, 01:00 PM
I'm pumped

More pumped then any games lately :lol:I will only be if it is a college player. I am not up for having to wait 4 years for helpm at the major league level.

Puffy
Maybin, Maybin, Maybin.......

OnBaseMachine
Draft starting now.

The MLB draft moves FAST. Totally opposite of the NFL draft.

Falls City Beer
06-07-2005, 01:01 PM
Maybin, Maybin, Maybin.......

You're right, you're right, you're right.....

lollipopcurve
06-07-2005, 01:02 PM
At least 3 of first 5 will be arms, 7 of first 10.

KronoRed
06-07-2005, 01:02 PM
Draft starting now.

The MLB draft moves FAST. Totally opposite of the NFL draft.

They should take notes on this over in the NFL

Red Leader
06-07-2005, 01:03 PM
With the 12th pick in the 1st round, the Cincinnati Reds......pass. :laugh: :evil:

smith288
06-07-2005, 01:04 PM
NFL doesnt havent to scour the ends of the earth to find good high school arms that are bound for TJ surgery. ;)

OnBaseMachine
With the 12th pick in the 1st round, the Cincinnati Reds......pass. :laugh: :evil:

Who you think they are...the Minnesota Vikings?

jmcclain19
Premature start, they cut to it and went back - not quite starting yet. Should be any minute now.

flyer85
06-07-2005, 01:05 PM
MLB having hiccups?

M2
06-07-2005, 01:05 PM
I can't believe Maybin will still be around on #12. If he is, I'd pick him.

Really I can't believe the Nats might not take him. He's the fivest of all the five-toolers on the board.

Neo
06-07-2005, 01:06 PM
Anyone watching the Live Draft feed on MLB.com? What a joke, the host is absolutely ridiculous. Within 5 minutes he has referred to himself twice going number one if the draft and being replaced.

Neo
06-07-2005, 01:07 PM
Draft is delayed because the Yankees are a no show.

jmcclain19
HAHAHA - they did a team roll call, and the Yankees aren't there yet. So they have to wait to start the draft.

KronoRed
The yanks haven't shown up yet? :lol:

OnBaseMachine
Upton goes #1. No surprise.

jmcclain19
Dbacks take Upton

M2
06-07-2005, 01:08 PM
It's official, Upton's the first pick.

Reds Fanatic
No suprise Arizona selects Upton with the 1st pick

jmcclain19
Gordon goes to KC

Red Leader
The yanks haven't shown up yet? :lol:

They're trying to see who all the small market teams want so they can trade them their eventually....

OnBaseMachine
That means Tolowitski goes to Seattle.

Reds Fanatic
06-07-2005, 01:09 PM
KC selects Alex Gordon 3B 2nd.

jmcclain19
M's take Jeff Clement

M2
There goes Clement.

OnBaseMachine
That means Tolowitski goes to Seattle.

Or not.

Clement to Mariners.

Poop.

traderumor
clement gone to mariners

Puffy
I can't believe Maybin will still be around on #12. If he is, I'd pick him.

Really I can't believe the Nats might not take him. He's the fivest of all the five-toolers on the board.

Yeah, I don't think there is any chance he lasts til 12. Makes you wish that MLB allowed trades of picks, like every other sport does.

Red Leader
Ryan Zimmerman to WAS? If so, that was no glitch earlier...someone leaked.

Reds Fanatic
SEA selects Jeff Clement C 3rd.

jmcclain19
06-07-2005, 01:10 PM
Nats - take Ryan Zimmerman

KronoRed
Yeah, I don't think there is any chance he lasts til 12. Makes you wish that MLB allowed trades of picks, like every other sport does.
Think I worry about with that is all the top 10 picks ending up in the yanks hands.

traderumor
nats zimmerman

jmcclain19
No pitchers yet, and no Boras guys yet

jmcclain19
06-07-2005, 01:11 PM
Brewers take Ryan Braun

OnBaseMachine
Braun to Milwaukee.

OnBaseMachine
Could Toluwitski fall to the Reds?

jmcclain19
Romero is now gone to the Blue Jays

Redsfaithful
Braun to Milwaukee is a surprise.

KronoRed
06-07-2005, 01:12 PM
Don't talk about it! :eek:

M2
Say what you will about BA, but they do their homework. 6 for 6 so far.

Jaycint
Braun to the Brew Crew. :(

Red Leader

He could, and I bet DanO lets him slide on by....

jmcclain19
Troy T now off the board w/ the 7th pick

flyer85
Callis got the first 7 exactly last year. He's up to 6 now.

WIll the Rocks take Tulowitski?

lollipopcurve
I feel Tulo or Maybin....

Braun to Brew Crew a surprise.

Too bad Clement went...

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2005, 01:13 PM
Jinxed it.

Double poop!

jmcclain19
Drays take Wade Townsend

Cedric
I'm glad Tulo is gone.

flyer85
Callis is 8 for 8

Jaycint
Wow, no pitchers until the 6th pick.

jmcclain19
that's the shocker so far

KronoRed
I love how these guys on the phone sound :lol:

paulrichjr
06-07-2005, 01:14 PM
ESPN Insider is 100% correct so far... Not sure were they get there info but that is a surprise to me.

OnBaseMachine
Mets take Pelfrey. Dangit!

flyer85
will the Mets go for a Boras client?

Puffy
Please, please, please.....

jmcclain19
Mets took Pelfrey - and I too krono, am cracking up at the phone stuff this morning

gm
fastest 2 minutes in sports <refresh>

M2
Kind of wild that Townshend went #8 two years in a row.

BA's now 9 for 9.

Red Leader
Tigers, Pirates, and then The Redlegs.

OnBaseMachine
There goes Maybin.

jmcclain19
06-07-2005, 01:15 PM
And Maybin is now gone to the Tigers

flyer85
Callis is 10 for 10

Redsfaithful
Callis 10 for 10.

lollipopcurve
C'mon Cameron...

KronoRed
We're on deck :eek:

Red Leader
...and Puffy sheds a tear.

jmcclain19
Building up, were just moments away

Pirates take McCutchen

flyer85
06-07-2005, 01:16 PM
I honestly don't want a HS OF here but it looks like a done deal.

KronoRed
Dude has a strange cell phone ring :lol:

M2
Bruce or Hochevar, either works for me.

jmcclain19
And now the Reds take Jay Bruce

OnBaseMachine
Reds take...

Jay Bruce!

good pick.

smith288
Bruce

flyer85
Callis 12 for 12. ARRGH!

Aronchis
Won't shed a tear on a poor disciplined 5 tooler, but if they pass Bruce for a projectable "bat or arm", blah!!

Falls City Beer
06-07-2005, 01:17 PM
Not total retardation. Not total retardation!

IslandRed
Solid choice.

Redsfaithful
Apparently the clubs talk to BA. Amazing how dead on they've been.

Red Leader
Energetic and talented OF. Bruce can run, hit, throw, hit for power and he plays with great joy. Think Jim Edmonds.

smith288
Our next pick in the 60's?

KronoRed
I like the pick..the guys didn't say anything about signability ;)

lollipopcurve
We'll take it.

This HS Texas OF pegged to replace another...

Puffy
06-07-2005, 01:18 PM
I loathe the Detroit Tigers ©

flyer85
14 for 14. I'm impressed.

KronoRed
Our next pick in the 60's?
Yep..pick 60

flyer85
We'll take it.

This HS Texas OF pegged to replace another...in 5 years.

Jaycint
06-07-2005, 01:19 PM
Yes! I'm happy with a first round Reds pick!!! :jump: :rockband:

Red Leader
Brandon Snyder, a catcher, goes to the O's with the 13th pick.

Aronchis
If the Tigers weren't going to take Maybin, the Pirates really should of. For you Maybin fans, another reason why to hate Austin Kearns :evil:

M2
Cool beans on the Bruce pick. He's got the whole package.

jmcclain19
Wow, surprise there, Trevor Crowe goes 14 to the Indians.

He of the 5'9 height, no real position, but man can he play ball.

Here's to UA 'Cats getting selected in the first round

Red Leader
06-07-2005, 01:20 PM
Indians take OF Trevor Crowe.

flyer85
Callis 16 for 16. Amazing.

gonelong
Solid start, be interesting if we can constructively build on the Bruce selection.

Red Leader
Lance Broadway goes #15 to the White Sox.

Reds Fanatic
White Sox take Lance Broadway at 15, Marlins take Chris Volstad at 16.

jmcclain19
06-07-2005, 01:21 PM
Surprised the Marlins took Volstad.

Yanks took Henry

Chip R
Energetic and talented OF. Bruce can run, hit, throw, hit for power and he plays with great joy. Think Jim Edmonds.Does he also dive for balls when he doesn't have to? ;)

Red Leader
Marlins take Volstad.

Redsfaithful
06-07-2005, 01:22 PM
I hate to say it, but Volstad looks like a good choice that far down in the first round.

KronoRed
Does he also dive for balls when he doesn't have to? ;)

We can solve him of that :cool:

Red Leader
Pads take Carillo.

Pitchability and stuff. Carrillo should move into Petco very early. Could he be seen as help down the stretch drive?

OnBaseMachine
I am impressed. The Reds didn't screw it up, so far...

flyer85
streak ends at 18.

jmcclain19
Mayberry goes to the Rangers, and they move him RF

Puffy
06-07-2005, 01:23 PM
I hope the Reds learn from this Maybin fiasco. If you are going to be bad anyway be really bad so you get a better pick and thereby get the player Puffy wants.

This is not rocket science here!!

M2
06-07-2005, 01:23 PM
Finally, after getting 18 right, BA misses a pick.

Pawelek to the Cubs at #20.

KronoRed
06-07-2005, 01:24 PM
I hope the Reds learn from this Maybin fiasco. If you are going to be bad anyway be really bad so you get a better pick and thereby get the player Puffy wants.

I think they are giving it a good go this year ;)

Reds Fanatic
Pawelek 1st HS pitcher selected

OnBaseMachine
Pennington to the A's

he's scrappy.

gm

The 2005 squad is working diligently towards your goal

(Wondering...is suckitude in the dictionary?)

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2005, 01:25 PM
Pawelek 1st HS pitcher selected

Volstad was the first. Pawelek was first HS lefty.

jmcclain19
06-07-2005, 01:25 PM
Amazed that the top college pitcher still hasn't been picked yet. Boras factor in effect

gm
06-07-2005, 01:26 PM
Pennington to the A's

he's scrappy.

And I thought they'd take Linda Elersby from OSU

jmcclain19
Bogasevic goes, he's a solid Tulane player

Red Leader
Marlins take Aaron Thompson at 22, a LH high schooler.

jmcclain19
06-07-2005, 01:27 PM
Matt Tora is still on the board too Reds...pay attention....

flyer85
the Boras clients are falling but it has never stopped Boras from getting them their money.

jmcclain19
Craig Hansen, top closer in the draft, goes to the Red Sox

Red Leader
Bogusevic to the Astros.

Puffy
06-07-2005, 01:28 PM
And I thought they'd take Linda Elersby from OSU

She was great in Knots Landing

OnBaseMachine
Hansen to Red Sox, Devine to Braves.

Red Leader
Garza goes to the Twins.

M2
The Braves take a college pitcher! My head feels all swimmy.

jmcclain19
Run on college closers, Braves take another, NC State's closer

flyer85
06-07-2005, 01:29 PM
Junction City ... Devine ... drove by there last week. Middle of nowhere.

KronoRed
The Braves take a college pitcher! My head feels all swimmy.
Bizzaro world!

OnBaseMachine
J. Brent Cox still available.

Dangit! There went Jacob Marceux

jmcclain19
06-07-2005, 01:30 PM
1st round now over with Tyler Greene, SS going to the Cards, now onto the Supplemental

flyer85
06-07-2005, 01:30 PM
Marlins pick 3 pitchers in the first round

jmcclain19
06-07-2005, 01:31 PM
15 minute intermission!

KronoRed
15 min break? the first round didn't take that long :lol:

DoogMinAmo
Marlins have taken Volstad, Thompson and Marceaux. Talk about drafting pitching...

M2
06-07-2005, 01:32 PM
How far is Hochevar going to fall?

Matt Torra's dropping too.

DoogMinAmo
06-07-2005, 01:33 PM
So if the Reds take a colleg pitcher in the second round, how many life alert pendants are we gonna have to order for Redszone members?

M2
06-07-2005, 01:33 PM
Guesses on the Reds' 2nd round pick?

I'm thinking Chaz Roe. IMO, it's not a good idea, but BA's had crazy radar and it said the Reds were high on him.

DoogMinAmo
06-07-2005, 01:34 PM
How far is Hochevar going to fall?

Matt Torra's dropping too.

M2, what is the scoop on those two? Boras clients, personality issues, stock falling due to performance?

Red Leader
06-07-2005, 01:35 PM
Hochevar is a Boras client.

Not sure why Torra is dropping.

gm
06-07-2005, 01:35 PM

Torra, Torra, Torra!

(somebody had to say it)

Puffy
06-07-2005, 01:36 PM

I'm thinking Chaz Roe. IMO, it's not a good idea, but BA's had crazy radar and it said the Reds were high on him.

I woulda hated him as a first round pick, but as a second, well, I wouldn't be too upset.

Although, I still feel the Reds can't develop pitching, so I'd lean towards more toolsy hitters and then use them to trade for pitching later (let a team that can develop pitchers do the heavy lifting), but thats just me.

lollipopcurve
06-07-2005, 01:37 PM
I'm guessing a college arm

Red Leader
I'm guessing a college arm

That's my guess, too. I just hope its a starter.

Redsfaithful
I'd hope the Reds would consider Hochevar, but I can't imagine he'd really fall that far.

M2
06-07-2005, 01:38 PM
M2, what is the scoop on those two? Boras clients, personality issues, stock falling due to performance?

Hochevar's a Boras guy, Torra isn't. Torra's a UMass pitcher, hasn't seen great competition, that might be why some teams are shaky on him.

KronoRed
(let a team that can develop pitchers do the heavy lifting), but thats just me.

Like the marlins :D

OnBaseMachine
2nd round-I would go with Torra or Chris Mason...or Jed Lowrie, if available.

lollipopcurve
06-07-2005, 01:39 PM
O'Brien and Reynolds have both mentioned the nice depth at SS -- I'd expect they'll take one at 3 or 4 if they don't here.

SteelSD
06-07-2005, 01:39 PM
2nd round-I would go with Torra or Chris Mason...or Jed Lowrie, if available.

If either Torra or Lowrie were available after the sandwich picks, I'd be amazed.

Red Leader
06-07-2005, 01:40 PM
If Hochevar slips to the Reds pick in the 2nd, I'd be shocked. If the Reds didn't take him, I'd go "Falling Down" on GABP.

flyer85
06-07-2005, 01:42 PM
If Hochevar slips to the Reds pick in the 2nd, I'd be shocked. If the Reds didn't take him, I'd go "Falling Down" on GABP.if they didn't take him the first time they wont the 2nd time around.

jmcclain19
06-07-2005, 01:43 PM
Red Sox have 3 sandwich picks, and they've been high on Lowrie. I doubt he falls

lollipopcurve
06-07-2005, 01:43 PM
By the way, I really like the Hansen pick for the Bosox.

And how do the Beane-watchers like the Pennington pick? With Crosby at SS and Quintinilla doing well in the minors, where does he fit in?

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2005, 01:44 PM
Stephen Head, Bryan Pettway, Justin Smoak(I love this kid), John Egan are some of the top bats still on the board.

gm
06-07-2005, 01:45 PM

And how do the Beane-watchers like the Pennington pick? With Crosby at SS and Quintinilla doing well in the minors, where does he fit in?

Beane's probably thinking "how can I flip one of these MIFs for Adam Dunn?"

Redsfaithful

You can always move a shortstop to second. Or the outfield.

jmcclain19
Someone, a Reds fan, called into XM MLB about that the Reds have pitching problems, but they took an OF in the 1st round.

Commentator said in the 1st round you always draft best available. He said that Bruce was rated by some teams as the No. 4 player available, so the Reds should be happy w/ him.

jmcclain19
06-07-2005, 01:46 PM
Stephen Head, Bryan Pettway, Justin Smoak(I love this kid), John Egan are some of the top bats still on the board.

Stephen Head still could be a killer LHP too, if he focused his energy on that.

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2005, 01:48 PM
and Micah Owings is still there.

LvJ
Ryan on MLB Tv

Jaycint
How do you guys feel about Craig Italiano as a second round pick. I already know how most would have felt about him as a first rounder :D

Think he will make it to us and if so would you guys be okay with adding another Texas power arm to Homer Bailey in the minors?

KronoRed
06-07-2005, 01:49 PM
People like our pick

It's a good day :D

westofyou
06-07-2005, 01:50 PM
Commentator said in the 1st round you always draft best available. He said that Bruce was rated by some teams as the No. 4 player available, so the Reds should be happy w/ him.

Lord knows you don't want to pass on Nomar to take C.J. Nitkowski,just because he's a college pitcher only a fool would do that. But then again you could pick Dante Powell.

flyer85
06-07-2005, 01:50 PM
Bruce may be a great talent but I have a feeling DanO won't be around to see him play at GABP.

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2005, 01:52 PM
Alright. What's the holdup. They said it would resume at 1:45.

jmcclain19
06-07-2005, 01:57 PM
well, torra went to the Dbacks as the 1st supplemental pick

Aronchis
06-07-2005, 01:57 PM
Bowden couldn't take Maybin because he didn't have the money, but he would have been all over Maybin if he had it(Where have I heard that before?).

BoydsOfSummer
06-07-2005, 01:58 PM
No Roe....just went.

OnBaseMachine
06-07-2005, 01:59 PM
Indians take John Drennen. Nice pick.

REDREAD
Wow, it's nice that we made a first round pick that looks real good 5 minutes after draft day.

DanO and Reynolds made a good call here. We need everything in our system. I feel a lot more confident about making Bruce a MLer than another HS pitcher.

Ryan the Reds Fan
So are they at the end of the first round? I have a friend that is expecting to be picked in the second round. A HS pitcher. He's a lefty, about 6'8" throws a fastball in the low 90's, has hit as high as 94, a good splitter and a change. He has started working on a curve. Cards, Cubs, BoSox, and a few other teams have payed a lot of attn to him. Supposedly the reds are out of the picture though. He pitched for New Richmond HS, Dave Duncan is his name.