PDA

View Full Version : The Honeymooners Movie

savafan
06-11-2005, 05:36 PM
Why did the studio feel the need to make this movie? What would the reaction be if there was a "Goodtimes" or "The Cosby Show" movie made with all white characters? It's not the fact so much that this is an all black "Honeymooners" so much as the fact that an all black cast changes the genre from "comedy" to "black comedy" which is a seperate genre not to be confused with "dark comedy".

It seems a bit insulting to the original cast.

Falls City Beer
06-11-2005, 05:55 PM
Why did the studio feel the need to make this movie? What would the reaction be if there was a "Goodtimes" or "The Cosby Show" movie made with all white characters? It's not the fact so much that this is an all black "Honeymooners" so much as the fact that an all black cast changes the genre from "comedy" to "black comedy" which is a seperate genre not to be confused with "dark comedy".

It seems a bit insulting to the original cast.

I don't know anything about this movie--this is the first I've heard of it--, but I suspect the impulse to remake the Honeymooners with a black cast (as if there were some necessary correspondence between the experience of the white working class in the 1950s and the black working class in 2005) emerges from the same source that thought it was a good idea to remake Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? with Bernie Mac replacing the Spencer Tracy character and Ashton Kutcher replacing Sidney Poitier's character--Hollywood's ceaseless need to replace ice cream with horsecrap.

savafan
06-11-2005, 06:06 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0373908/

Cedric the Entertainer as Ralph Kramden

Mike Epps as Ed Norton

Red in Chicago
06-12-2005, 08:13 AM
cedric is a very funny guy, but i don't see this movie making much money...i'm sure it will be in the video store in a couple months collecting dust on the shelves...horrible idea for a remake :thumbdown

wheels
06-12-2005, 12:18 PM
Almost as bad as the Bad News Bears remake.