PDA

View Full Version : Reputation

TRF
06-20-2005, 10:17 AM
A lot of people were a bit dubious of the reputation system. Some thought it would create clicks. Some thought it would be used to promote their friends from Reds Live. Some thought it would be used to keep some posters from ever reaching ORG. All were valid concerns to a degree, as all of these things to some degree or another probably are happening.

But let me tell you how it is working for me. Today I had a rough morning. My 7 year old daughter decided to throw a screaming fit about getting dressed to go to daycare. My wife and I were late for work because of this. I had decided to check in to RZ, and see what responses i got on posts. Well I got one on Reds Live, and instead of making a reasonable arguement, I popped off back, called him Rook, and did nothing to promote the way this board is supposed to work. I rightfully got negged for this.

The really stupid thing is, besides the fact that I know better, I finished the post by saying there is a right way and a wrong way to argue a point, and that this poster chose the wrong way. Turns out he wasn't the only one.

Negging can serve as a reminder that we aren't being as good as we can be. I'm not talking candy-casey good, but we should strive to be the best without deriding others. I forgot that this morning. I can't promise that it won't happen again. I can promise that I'll try not to let it happen again.

And to the poster I attacked... you have my apologies.