PDA

View Full Version : The If Rosie can do it so can I 6/25 Reds vs Indians game thead

Pages : [1] 2

creek14
06-25-2005, 05:37 PM
Cincinnati Reds (30-43) at Cleveland Indians (37-34), 7:05 p.m.

Probable Starting Pitchers: Cincinnati - Luke Hudson (1-1, 5.63) Cleveland - Jake Westbrook (4-9, 4.57)

(Sports Network) - Jerry Narron seems to have the magical touch for the Cincinnati Reds, as they have ripped off three straight victories to start his interim stint at the helm. Narron's Reds will try to keep the new skipper happy tonight, when they continue their three-game interleague series against the Cleveland Indians at Jacobs Field.

Cincinnati registered a 5-4 win over the Indians on Friday night, scoring a run in the eighth and ninth innings to recover for the victory. Felipe Lopez ripped a go-ahead double in the ninth inning and Ken Griffey Jr. belted two home runs in the win. Griffey's second longball came in the eighth to knot the game at 4-4. The star outfielder has hit safely in 22 of his last 26 contests.

Griffey had three hits on Friday night, while Lopez and Joe Randa added two apiece. Randa, who has a nine-game hit streak, hit a solo homer of his own in the victory. Griffey passed Dave Parker for 43rd all-time with 1,494 RBI in his career.

Journeyman reliever Kent Mercker (2-1) picked up the victory with a perfect eighth while David Weathers got his third save with a scoreless ninth. Mercker posted his first save since 2003 on Wednesday.

Cincinnati starter Eric Milton gave up four runs on six hits in a six-inning no-decision. Milton surrendered his league-leading 26th and 27th homers in the tilt.

The Reds called up third baseman Edwin Encarnacion from Triple-A Louisville and placed outfielder Kenny Kelly on the 15-day disabled list prior to the game. Encarnacion went 0-for-4 in his major league debut.

Reds utility man Ryan Freel missed his fifth straight game with a toe injury. Freel is doubtful for this evening's contest.

Cincinnati, which has won three straight for the first time since sweeping Tampa Bay from June 7-9, will be going for its first four-game win streak since September 28-October 1, 2004 tonight.

Cincinnati, which is in the midst of a five-game road trip, is just 7-24 in foreign buildings this season. The Reds have still dropped eight of nine and 11 of their last 13 road contests.

The Reds will pin their hopes on righthander Luke Hudson tonight. Hudson is 1-1 over his first three starts of the season after getting off the disabled list. The University of Tennessee product didn't get a decision in his last start despite surrendering four hits and two runs over five innings versus Atlanta. Hudson left with a five-run lead, but the bullpen blew the contest. Control has been an issue for Hudson, as he has walked 13 in 16 innings of work this season.

Hudson will be facing the Indians for the first time in his career.

Taking the ball for Cleveland tonight will be Jake Westbrook, who has won consecutive starts for the first time this season. Westbrook has beaten Colorado and Arizona in his last two outings, allowing just four earned runs over 15 innings of action. In fact, Westbrook has surrendered more than two earned runs in just one of his last eight starts.

Last time on the hill, Westbrook limited the Diamondbacks to just five hits and two runs over eight solid innings. The 27-year-old struck out five and didn't walk anyone in the victory. Westbrook has fanned 50 and walked 24 this season.

Westbrook made one other career start against the Reds, holding them to seven hits and one run over 7 2/3 innings of a tough luck no-decision.

Indians reliever Bob Howry (4-2) took the loss after allowing the game-winning run in the ninth frame. Howry has surrendered three runs in 1 1/3 innings over the last two games.

Cleveland starter Scott Elarton left after six innings, during which he allowed three runs on seven hits.

Jose Hernandez belted a pair of homers for the Indians, while Victor Martinez and Ron Belliard added a RBI each in their fourth consecutive loss.

Casey Blake went 1-for-4, pushing his hitting streak to 11 games, while Grady Sizemore saw his hit streak come to an end at 12.

Former Red Aaron Boone went 0-for-3 on Friday, dropping his average under .200 once again.

Cleveland, which is in the middle of a 12-game homestand, is 17-17 in its friendly confines this season.

Cleveland took two of three from the Reds in Cincinnati from May 20-22, winning the final two of the set. The Indians are 8-5 versus the Reds since the start of the 2003 campaign. Cleveland is 21-16 all-time against Cincinnati, including a 10-9 mark at the Jake. The Reds haven't won a season series with Cleveland since 1997.

The Indians are 83-72 all-time in interleague action, while Cincinnati is just 55-67 against the American League. Cleveland is 13-3 in interleague play this season, while the Reds are 7-6.

Matt700wlw
06-25-2005, 05:38 PM
Cruz DH
Valentin at catcher

That is all I know as of right now...

KronoRed
06-25-2005, 05:40 PM
Cruz DH? :rant:

OnBaseMachine
06-25-2005, 05:42 PM
It's pointless to callup Encarnacion and then bench him. He should DH all three games and then third when Randa is traded, which should be soon. Now is the perfect time to deal Randa while his value is sky high.

creek14
06-25-2005, 05:43 PM
SS Lopez, Felipe 12 44 .292
2B Aurilia, Rich 6 26 .261
1B Casey, Sean 3 33 .316
CF Griffey, Ken 14 50 .280
3B Randa, Joe 12 40 .296
LF Dunn, Adam 20 39 .246
RF Pena, Wily Mo 9 22 .274
DH Cruz, Jacob 2 8 .267
C Valentin, Javier 3 13 .253
P Hudson, Luke (1-1, 5.63)

CF Sizemore, Grady 6 32 .304
LF Crisp, Coco 7 27 .279
DH Hafner, Travis 10 35 .279
C Martinez, Victor 7 27 .229
1B Broussard, Ben 6 27 .250
2B Belliard, Ronnie 8 30 .289
RF Gerut, Jody 1 8 .286
3B Boone, Aaron 7 24 .197
SS Peralta, Jhonny 8 24 .272
P Westbrook, Jake (4-9, 4.57)

KronoRed
06-25-2005, 05:47 PM
I was off by one day, I thought that would be the line up last night.

If they think EE is so bad based on 4 FREAKING at bats how bout we just release him now and save the hassle?

:rant:

RosieRed
06-25-2005, 05:57 PM
Creek, I like your attitude! :beerme:

RosieRed
06-25-2005, 06:05 PM
I was just looking up some photos of Romano and came across this. Who knew Romano was there on Bonds 500th steal, manning 2B? I had no clue.

San Francisco Giants Barry Bonds slides in to second base to record his 500th career stolen base while Los Angeles Dodgers shortstop Jason Romano looks on in the bottom of the eleventh inning against the Los Angeles Dodgers Monday, May 23, 2003. at Pac Bell Park in San Francisco. If Bonds spent any time contemplating his milestones, he'd see the true magic of his latest achievement: There might not be another member of the 500-500 club in his lifetime. (AP Photo/San Francisco Chronicle, Carlos Avila Gonzalez)

smith288
06-25-2005, 06:06 PM
Ramano is a history maker. :lol:

Its sorta like the guy getting dunked on in NBA posters. ha

westofyou
06-25-2005, 06:09 PM
If they think EE is so bad based on 4 FREAKING at bats how bout we just release him now and save the hassle?

Guys second day in the bigs, let him watch from the dugout.. Westbrook has been eating RH hitters this year.

I like myself like playing the splits (Cruz, Valentin)

Good manager puts a guy in where he can succeed, there is lots of time with EE.

KronoRed
06-25-2005, 06:09 PM
But WOY, he's only up for 3 days (Dan O) he should get all the at bats he can.

IMO :)

creek14
06-25-2005, 06:10 PM
Guys second day in the bigs, let him watch from the dugout.. Westbrook has been eating RH hitters this year.

Good manager puts a guy in where he can succeed, there is lots of time with EE.
Oh come on woy, you are being logical. This is RedsZone, we love kneejerk reactions!! :devil: ;)

westofyou
06-25-2005, 06:12 PM
But WOY, he's only up for 3 days (Dan O) he should get all the at bats he can.

IMO :)

Yeah, but being in the big leagues is more than just getting at bats.

RosieRed
06-25-2005, 06:14 PM
My only real issue with this lineup (other than all the obvious issues we go over every night) is that I'd rather see Pena as the DH and Cruz in RF.

KronoRed
06-25-2005, 06:16 PM
Oh come on woy, you are being logical. This is RedsZone, we love kneejerk reactions!! :devil: ;)
My kneejerk reactions never fail to lead us to victory :D

creek14
06-25-2005, 06:22 PM
Okay, why is Jerry Narron the answer to a trivia question?

creek14
06-25-2005, 06:26 PM
Someone, anyone...

zombie-a-go-go
06-25-2005, 06:27 PM
Narron backwards is Norran.

Just sayin'.

creek14
06-25-2005, 06:27 PM
Narron backwards is Norran.

Just sayin'.
Ohhhhhhhhhhh, so close.

Or not.

creek14
06-25-2005, 06:28 PM
And it's not because he and I were born on the same day, same month, same year.

Reds Fanatic
Okay, why is Jerry Narron the answer to a trivia question? He was the catcher for the Yankees the day after Thurman Munson died.

creek14
He was the catcher for the Yankees the day after Thurman Munson died.
Ding ding ding ding. We have a winner.

KronoRed
06-25-2005, 06:29 PM
Okay, why is Jerry Narron the answer to a trivia question?
Dan O says so. ;)

zombie-a-go-go
06-25-2005, 06:30 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhh, so close.

Or not.

Poop!

creek14
06-25-2005, 06:31 PM
Poop!
:ughmamoru Zom said poop.

KronoRed
06-25-2005, 06:31 PM
:evil: He should be banned.

Newport Red
06-25-2005, 06:34 PM
The view from the Lake.

Tribe's key to pen helps open door for Reds
Run-scoring double off Howry sinks Indians
Saturday, June 25, 2005
Burt Graeff
Plain Dealer Reporter
Bob Howry is a key to big- league base ball's best - statistically speaking - relief corps.

However, not in the Indians' last two losses.

Howry served up a two-out double to Felipe Lopez in the ninth inning that was the difference in a 5-4 loss to the Cincinnati Reds on Friday night at Jacobs Field.

The hit came moments after a visit to the mound from Indians manager Eric Wedge. Wedge and Howry discussed whether to pitch around Lopez, a switch-hitter who was batting left-handed. "I could have walked him or pitched around him," said Howry (4-2, 3.73 ERA).

"But as a big-league pitcher, I've got to be able to command pitches better than I did," Howry said.

"I was trying to throw a fastball off the plate and I threw it right down the middle."

In Wednesday night's 5-4 loss to Boston, Howry entered in the eighth inning with the Indians leading, 4-2. He gave up singles to Manny Ramirez and Kevin Millar, igniting Boston's rally. "The other night," he said, "I come in and put the tying run on base.

"Tonight, I gave up the go-ahead run. You blow two leads and it stands out more because of the success you have had," Howry said.

The reeling Indians (37-34) have dropped four straight after winning nine in a row. Three of the four losses have been by one run.

Howry did not lose it alone.

A potentially big first inning was short-circuited when Victor Martinez was thrown out at the plate by 10 feet after Ronnie Belliard doubled to knock in one run and give the Indians a 2-0 lead.

"It was being aggressive with two outs," said Wedge. "More times than not that will work to your advantage."

In the third, the Reds got help in scoring one run when Scott Elarton fielded Lopez's shot back to the mound, then tossed a wild throw to first base. Lopez landed at third and scored on Sean Casey's sacrifice fly that tied it, 3-3.

"We opened the door for them and they took advantage of it - the error early and the sacrifice bunt late," Wedge said.

Jason LaRue's sacrifice bunt after Wily Mo Pena singled off Howry to begin the ninth set up Lopez's game-winning double.

The loss negated two solo home runs by Jose Hernandez, who went deep off Eric Milton in the second and fourth innings. Hernandez had not homered since April 16 against Minnesota, a span of 33 games and 88 at-bats.

The Indians failed to score after Hernandez's fourth inning blast. Milton, Todd Coffey, Kent Merker (2-1, 2.87 ERA) and David Weathers (third save) combined to hold the Tribe scoreless on three hits over the last five innings.

Ken Griffey Jr. turned back the clock, hitting two home runs - one off Elarton to lead off the second, the second off Scott Sauerbeck to tie it, 4-4, in the eighth.

Griffey's second homer was his first hit off Sauerbeck in 13 career at-bats. "I had no idea that was the case," Sauerbeck said. "He hit a mistake. He just beat me.

"He's a Hall of Famer and he got it."

The home runs were the 13th and 14th for Griffey. It was his 49th career two-homer game.

Elarton, who had given up three home runs in 36?innings of six previous starts, gave up back-to-back homers to Griffey and Joe Randa leading off the second. Griffey's 13th was a 391-footer over the wall in left-center.

Randa's 12th was a 400-footer over the home run porch in left.

Elarton went six innings, giving up three runs on seven hits, striking out a season-high seven and walking one. He went out on a strong note, retiring Pena and LaRue with two on to end the sixth.

The Indians jumped on Milton for two runs in the first and one in the second. With two outs and one on in the first, Travis Hafner and Martinez singled for the first run. Belliard's double scored another, but Martinez being cut down at the plate ended the rally.

Hernandez homered to lead off the second, giving the Indians a 3-2 lead.

Milton went six innings, giving up four runs on six hits.

He is 0-5 (10.60 ERA) in seven starts on the road. The loss dropped the Tribe to 13-3 in interleague play. The Reds improved to 3-0 under interim manager Jerry Narron.

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

bgraeff@plaind.com, 216-999-4479

Reds Nd2
06-25-2005, 06:35 PM
Creek, I like your attitude! :beerme:

I don't know. My first thought is we're screwed tonight. Should have rode Rosie since she has the hot hand. :)

creek14
06-25-2005, 06:37 PM
I don't know. My first thought is we're screwed tonight. Should have rode Rosie since she has the hot hand. :)
I am hurt. On so many levels. :cry:

;) ;)

KronoRed
06-25-2005, 06:40 PM
Creek lost her last time out, to the Rockies, but Dunn and JR were on the bench for that one..they should deliver a victory for her tonight

Eric_Davis
06-25-2005, 06:41 PM
It's pointless to callup Encarnacion and then bench him. He should DH all three games and then third when Randa is traded, which should be soon. Now is the perfect time to deal Randa while his value is sky high.

Exactly! You didn't see the Braves sitting Marte on the bench even though they had a 24-year old Wilson Betemit hitting with a plu 1.000 OPS for the year. They played the better prospect Marte consistently while he was up, and found spots for Betemit where they could.

They just sent Marte back down, but while he was up there, he started, played miserably, but he played.

Same should be done with Ed E.

WVRedsFan
06-25-2005, 06:43 PM
And it's not because he and I were born on the same day, same month, same year.

Tipping your age, eh?

creek14
06-25-2005, 06:43 PM
Creek lost her last time out, to the Rockies, but Dunn and JR were on the bench for that one..they should deliver a victory for her tonight
It scares me a little that you remember that.

creek14
06-25-2005, 06:44 PM
Tipping your age, eh?
Did I say same year? I meant same year minus 25. Yeah, that's what I meant.

Or would that be plus 25? :confused: :)

Chip R
06-25-2005, 06:45 PM

Good manager puts a guy in where he can succeed, there is lots of time with EE.So you play him tomorrow against C.C. Sabathia? There's always an excuse not to play him. If he's going to be a big league player he's got to learn to hit tough right handers sometime. It might as well be now.

KronoRed
06-25-2005, 06:46 PM
...it's plus :D

Eric_Davis
06-25-2005, 06:50 PM
So you play him tomorrow against C.C. Sabathia? There's always an excuse not to play him. If he's going to be a big league player he's got to learn to hit tough right handers sometime. It might as well be now.

Absolutely.

You put him in and see what he can do.

It's the only way to find out. Everything else is just conjecture up to this point.

BuckU
06-25-2005, 06:52 PM
I was just looking up some photos of Romano and came across this. Who knew Romano was there on Bonds 500th steal, manning 2B? I had no clue.

Wow...Ramano playing SS.

That's bask when he was "toolsy" and could play a little infield.

Also around the time DanO developed his crush on him...

WVRedsFan
06-25-2005, 06:52 PM
So you play him tomorrow against C.C. Sabathia? There's always an excuse not to play him. If he's going to be a big league player he's got to learn to hit tough right handers sometime. It might as well be now.

I totally agree with that, Chip. This whole third base thing (as well as the Kearns thing) has me searching for logic.

We sign Joe Randa (which was a pretty good signing) because EE isn't ready and we believe that Freel is a utilityman. Now that we want to trade Randa for pitching, EE is ready. Why did he get ready so quickly, and if he is, why not play him? It makes no sense. If you went to all the trouble to call him up, play him.

Of course, if you're going to bring anyone up, it should be Austin. And no matter what O'Brien says, he's punishing him--using the same tactics that Miley used and he ended up getting fired. And bringing up Romano (and even keeping him even in the minors) is simply insane. He has no future with this club without DanO. And my gut feeling says he won't see the 2006 season (I hope).

Gainesville Red
06-25-2005, 06:53 PM
Hey Krono, How bout them Gators!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KronoRed
06-25-2005, 06:53 PM
I think Dan O liked him before that..wasn't he a Ranger before he was a Dodger?

BoydsOfSummer
06-25-2005, 06:55 PM
Yeah,I'd at least DH him.

BuckU
06-25-2005, 06:55 PM
I think Dan O liked him before that..wasn't he a Ranger before he was a Dodger?

Yea I guess you're right. Their love afair was in full swing when this photo was snapped.

KronoRed
06-25-2005, 06:57 PM
Hey Krono, How bout them Gators!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup: :cool:

Reds Nd2
06-25-2005, 06:58 PM
I am hurt. On so many levels. :cry:

;) ;)

Well my second thought was if anyone can handle it, it has to be Creek. :)

jmcclain19
06-25-2005, 06:59 PM

:eek:

KronoRed
06-25-2005, 07:01 PM
JM trying to take this thread into the gutter :help:

Reds Nd2
06-25-2005, 07:04 PM
:eek:

I know. I didn't realize how that sounded untill after I read it. Trust me, it wasn't intentional. I was hoping no one else saw it. :laugh: Hopefully Rosie won't be too mad at me.

westofyou
06-25-2005, 07:04 PM
So you play him tomorrow against C.C. Sabathia?

A lefthanded pitcher? Sure, I bet he DH's

Exactly! You didn't see the Braves sitting Marte on the bench even though they had a 24-year old Wilson Betemit hitting with a plu 1.000 OPS for the year.

Except those 2 games against the Reds he didn't start eh?

Reds Fanatic
06-25-2005, 07:05 PM
Lopez leads off with a double

RBA
06-25-2005, 07:07 PM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/FlashChat/flashchat.php

CHAT

Reds Fanatic
06-25-2005, 07:07 PM
Aurilia sacrifices the runners to 3rd. 1 out.

OnBaseMachine
06-25-2005, 07:09 PM
Sac bunt in the first inning? :bang:

KronoRed
06-25-2005, 07:09 PM
I'm thinking RBA likes chat

Reds Fanatic
06-25-2005, 07:10 PM
Casey singles to left. 1-0 Reds.

Mutaman
06-25-2005, 07:11 PM
Sac bunt in the first inning? :bang:

It makes sense when you consider the Reds vaunted pitching staff. Usually one ore two runs is all we need. Like the Dodgers back in the days of Koufax and Drysdale.

Reds Fanatic
06-25-2005, 07:12 PM
Junior strikes out swinging. 2 outs.

Reds Nd2

I agree Chip but woy did make some very good points too. Easy E got to play last night, it won't hurt him to sit the bench tonight. Let him get a taste and get the butterflies over with. Like woy said, there will be plenty of time for Encarnacion. No need to rush him, IMO.

But dang it, I wanted to see him play this weekend. Saw him in Charlotte Wednesday and watched him last night, I was wanting to see him play a couple more times before he's sent back down.

KronoRed
Naroon and Miley are either the exact same manager or Naroon was always running the show

Hmmm ;)

Mutaman
The Mets are leading the Yankees 10-2 in the 8th so they figured it was safe to bring in Danny Boy. He looks good in a Met uniform. Pitched one decent inning.

Reds Fanatic
06-25-2005, 07:13 PM
Randa flies out to the warning track in left. 1-0 Reds mid 1st.

OnBaseMachine
06-25-2005, 07:13 PM
Dunn will lead off next inning. Imagine that.

RosieRed
06-25-2005, 07:15 PM
I know. I didn't realize how that sounded untill after I read it. Trust me, it wasn't intentional. I was hoping no one else saw it. :laugh: Hopefully Rosie won't be too mad at me.

I thought it was pretty funny myself. :)

PuffyPig
06-25-2005, 07:16 PM
It won't surprise me that EE might not be sent done until Freel comes off the DL.

Reds Fanatic
06-25-2005, 07:16 PM
Sizemore doubles off the top of the wall in center.

Reds Fanatic
06-25-2005, 07:17 PM
Crisp bunts and Hudson attempts to go to 3rd but Randa was in trying to field the ball. 1st and 3rd with no outs.

RosieRed
It won't surprise me that EE might not be sent done until Freel comes off the DL.

I wondered that too.

KronoRed
Hudson not off to a good start.

KronoRed
06-25-2005, 07:18 PM
Who else in AAA can we call up?

Oh no..Machado! :help:

Reds Fanatic
06-25-2005, 07:20 PM
Hafner grounds into a 4-3 double play. 1-1.

DoogMinAmo
06-25-2005, 07:21 PM
that sac bunt is looking mighty good right now

RBA
06-25-2005, 07:22 PM
We interupt this game thread to remind everyone that this board offers a real time game thread. It's called chat. It's a game thread in real time. What will they think of next.

CHAT

Reds Fanatic
06-25-2005, 07:22 PM
Martinez grounds out to 2nd. 1-1 after 1.

OnBaseMachine
06-25-2005, 07:23 PM
Does anyone know if chat is open tonight? :)

CTA513
06-25-2005, 07:24 PM
Hudsons fastball looked like hit had some good movement on it.

KronoRed
Does anyone know if chat is open tonight? :)
Not sure, I think so ;)

Reds Nd2
Dunn will lead off next inning. Imagine that.

Leading off an inning '05
Player #of times

Freel 74
Dunn 71
Griffey 63
Randa 52
F. Lopez 52

Reds Fanatic
06-25-2005, 07:25 PM
Dunn grounds out to 2nd. 1 out.

WMR
06-25-2005, 07:26 PM
Player #of times

Freel 74
Dunn 71
Griffey 63
Randa 52
F. Lopez 52

Oh wow, what a stat. :eek: :( :thumbdown

KronoRed
06-25-2005, 07:26 PM
Player #of times

Freel 74
Dunn 71
Griffey 63
Randa 52
F. Lopez 52

Gotta love the 6 spot :bang:

Reds Fanatic
06-25-2005, 07:27 PM
Pena grounds out and Cruz strikes out. 1-1 mid 2nd.

Mutaman
06-25-2005, 07:28 PM
Danny Boy closed out the game by striking out ARod. He pitched two innings and gave up only one Home Run. No Yankee fans left to say anything to him when he walked off the field.

Reds Nd2
06-25-2005, 07:29 PM
I thought it was pretty funny myself. :)

Cool. It was supposed to be, but I admit, I was a little worried even before JM posted. :)

Chip R
06-25-2005, 07:31 PM
A lefthanded pitcher? Sure, I bet he DH'sBut C.C. is a tough pitcher. Why play him when he might not succeed? Narron said that the reason they called him up was they wanted to steal 3 days. I guess it's only going to be 2 now. And I wouldn't bet against this incredible brain trust sitting him tomorrow as well.

Reds Fanatic
06-25-2005, 07:31 PM
Broussard flies out to short.
Belliard walks.

Eric_Davis
06-25-2005, 07:32 PM
But C.C. is a tough pitcher. Why play him when he might not succeed? Narron said that the reason they called him up was they wanted to steal 3 days. I guess it's only going to be 2 now. And I wouldn't bet against this incredible brain trust sitting him tomorrow as well.

Why waste an option on a top prospect?

Matt700wlw
06-25-2005, 07:32 PM
But C.C. is a tough pitcher. Why play him when he might not succeed? Narron said that the reason they called him up was they wanted to steal 3 days. I guess it's only going to be 2 now. And I wouldn't bet against this incredible brain trust sitting him tomorrow as well.

Pinch runner in a critical situation late in the game?

Reds Fanatic
06-25-2005, 07:34 PM
Gerut singles to right.

DoogMinAmo
06-25-2005, 07:34 PM

Odd that you would be advocating playing him against a righthander who is tough on right handed batters. I have no particular beef with giving him rest today, let his nerves ease, then let him go at it again tomorrow.

PuffyPig
06-25-2005, 07:36 PM
Why waste an option on a top prospect?

I don't think that's the case. Once a player is placed on the 40 man roster, an option is used when he doesn't make the team out of ST. So, I think that they have already used an option for this year.

Matt700wlw
06-25-2005, 07:36 PM
That was a swing and a miss...

Chip R
06-25-2005, 07:37 PM
Why waste an option on a top prospect?They already wasted it when they sent him down in ST. When you are on the 40 man roster you burn an option only when you are sent down to the minors. If he hadn't been sent down his option would not have been used. Nobody is "optioned up" to the big leagues. They can bounce him back and forth all season and he's only burned this year's option.

Reds Fanatic
06-25-2005, 07:37 PM
Boone flies out left. 2 outs.

KronoRed
06-25-2005, 07:38 PM
That's a homer in our park

PuffyPig
06-25-2005, 07:39 PM
That's a homer in our park

No, it's a strike out.

Reds Fanatic
Peralta lines out to 2nd. 1-1 after 2.

Eric_Davis
I don't think that's the case. Once a player is placed on the 40 man roster, an option is used when he doesn't make the team out of ST. So, I think that they have already used an option for this year.

OK.

CTA513
No, it's a strike out.

:devil:

flyer85
steve kelly has a no-hitter thru 5 this evening

Reds Nd2
06-25-2005, 07:40 PM
Oh wow, what a stat. :eek: :( :thumbdown

Umm, it's an actual account of how many times players have lead off an inning for the Reds in '05, not including tonights game. OBM mentioned Dunn leading off another inning, since we've (OBM and I) discussed this on previous game threads, I thought it was appropriate. Since you disapprove, what stat would you like mentioned?

CTA513
06-25-2005, 07:40 PM
I have to say Boone looks terrible this year.

Eric_Davis
06-25-2005, 07:41 PM
I was hoping with Gullett gone, someone might go up to Milton and give him something to do differently, but yesterday he still gave up 10 baserunners in six innings. We're lucky to get a win there.

Sure hope someone is working on that before he throws (at this time he doesn't know how to "pitch") again.

DoogMinAmo
06-25-2005, 07:41 PM
I don't think he disapproved of the stat, but of the info in the stats. Ease up ND, I think you are on edge form the whole riding Rosie thing, lol.

Chip R
06-25-2005, 07:42 PM
Odd that you would be advocating playing him against a righthander who is tough on right handed batters. I have no particular beef with giving him rest today, let his nerves ease, then let him go at it again tomorrow.I don't think it's odd at all. He's got to learn to hit against them sometime if he's going to be all he's advertised to be. It might as well be now. He might surprise you. As I said, if you use that philosophy, you might as well sit him tomorrow.

PuffyPig
Graves pitched 2 innings today, giving up 1 run (a HR), and 4 hits in 2 innings, closing out a 10-2 win.

Reds Fanatic
Valentin flies out to the warning track in left. 1 out.

Falls City Beer
06-25-2005, 07:43 PM
I have to say Boone looks terrible this year.

This year?

Boone's style of play guarantees seasons like this.

Eric_Davis
06-25-2005, 07:43 PM
They already wasted it when they sent him down in ST. When you are on the 40 man roster you burn an option only when you are sent down to the minors. If he hadn't been sent down his option would not have been used. Nobody is "optioned up" to the big leagues. They can bounce him back and forth all season and he's only burned this year's option.

Thanks, again. Didn't realize only one option could be used in a single year.

Reds Fanatic
06-25-2005, 07:44 PM
Lopez grounds out to 2nd. 2 outs.

Reds Fanatic
06-25-2005, 07:44 PM
Aurilia singles.

westofyou
06-25-2005, 07:45 PM
But C.C. is a tough pitcher. Why play him when he might not succeed?

He' struggles more against RH's that's why.

I believe in platoons and I believe in playing the splits every now and then.

Reds Fanatic
06-25-2005, 07:46 PM
Casey doubles in a run. 2-0 Reds.

Eric_Davis
06-25-2005, 07:47 PM
Umm, it's an actual account of how many times players have lead off an inning for the Reds in '05, not including tonights game. OBM mentioned Dunn leading off another inning, since we've (OBM and I) discussed this on previous game threads, I thought it was appropriate. Since you disapprove, what stat would you like mentioned?

I like seeing it.

I can't believe how much Dunn gets razzed on around here, not by everyone, but he's such a great player. The guy has been treated horribly by his manager all year...moved all around the lineup, usually with no protection behind him, yet he's in the top six or seven in runs scored, and top 3 in HR's in the NL.

flyer85
06-25-2005, 07:47 PM
kelly's no hitter was broken up by ...

get this ...

Corky Miller

Reds Nd2
06-25-2005, 07:48 PM
I don't think he disapproved of the stat, but of the info in the stats. Ease up ND, I think you are on edge form the whole riding Rosie thing, lol.

LOL You maybe right, DMA. I just read it as diminishing a stat, for stats sake. My appologies to WMR if thats not the case.

Reds Fanatic
06-25-2005, 07:48 PM
Junior walks. 1st and 2nd with 2 outs.

Reds Fanatic
06-25-2005, 07:49 PM
Randa doubles. 3-1 Reds! 2nd and 3rd with 2 outs.

Eric_Davis
06-25-2005, 07:50 PM
I have no video. How come Junior didn't score on a double?

Reds Fanatic
06-25-2005, 07:51 PM
I have no video. How come Junior didn't score on a double? The double was to the left field corner. There was really no opportunity for him to score on that.

Johnny Vander m
06-25-2005, 07:52 PM
A little late reporting this but Hal said to Marty in the second inning that EE will be up here till Freel comes of the DL.

Eric_Davis
06-25-2005, 07:53 PM
The double was to the left field corner. There was really no opportunity for him to score on that.

Tx, RF.

Go REDS!

Matt700wlw
I have no video. How come Junior didn't score on a double?

Probably wasn't hustling...

(put down the throwable objects, folks...I'm kidding)

Eric_Davis
MLB.com says that was in the strike zone. (Dunn's 3rd strike swinging)

Reds Fanatic
Dunn strikes out. 3-1 Reds mid 3rd.

Chip R
06-25-2005, 07:54 PM
Showing John Allen every time a lefty is up kinda creeps me out.

Eric_Davis
06-25-2005, 07:55 PM
OK, Hudson. Get out of this inning with only 1 or none baserunners.

Reds Fanatic
06-25-2005, 07:56 PM
Sizemore homers to right. 3-2.

PuffyPig
06-25-2005, 07:56 PM
MLB.com says that was in the strike zone. (Dunn's 3rd strike swinging)

Don't base anyrhing on MLB.com, as it's usually wrong. They never place a called strike anywhere close to out of the strike zone, even if it's debatable. Hign pitches are sometimes marked as low, and inside as outside etc.

Reds Fanatic
06-25-2005, 07:58 PM
Crisp flies out to right. 1 out.

Aronchis
OK, Hudson. Get out of this inning with only 1 or none baserunners.

and I will fly to the moon tonight. I would rather see Hudson and Kelly change places since Luke's release point is pretty bad right now.

Eric_Davis
Don't base anyrhing on MLB.com, as it's usually wrong. They never place a called strike anywhere close to out of the strike zone, even if it's debatable. Hign pitches are sometimes marked as low, and inside as outside etc.

Thanks.

back to the game. OK, Lou, that was your one baserunner.

Eric_Davis
06-25-2005, 07:59 PM
Those ERA's of the Indians' bullpen is scary-looking, especially compared to ours.

Reds Fanatic
06-25-2005, 08:00 PM
Hafner walks.

Reds Fanatic
06-25-2005, 08:01 PM
Martinez homers to right. 4-3 Indians.

Matt700wlw
06-25-2005, 08:01 PM
Why is Eric Milton pitching 2 nights in a row?

Eric_Davis
06-25-2005, 08:02 PM
Hudson was not ready to be brought to the Majors. He should have stayed in AAA and rehab'd more.

Eric_Davis
06-25-2005, 08:03 PM
Why is Eric Milton pitching 2 nights in a row?

There certainly seems to be a clone out there.

Aronchis
06-25-2005, 08:03 PM
Hudson was not ready to be brought to the Majors. He should have stayed in AAA and rehab'd more.

Do you think? ;)

DanO's lust for harder throwers won't allow him to call Kelly up.

Reds Fanatic
06-25-2005, 08:04 PM
3rd homer this inning. Broussard homers. 5-3 Indians.

CTA513
Pull Hudson now, while the score is close enough to catch up to.

flyer85
The spirit of Milton has inhabited Luke Hudson

Eric_Davis
06-25-2005, 08:05 PM
Do you think? ;)

DanO's lust for harder throwers won't allow him to call Kelly up.

Obviously, it was mentioned after he got shelacked in his only AAA appearance.

Reds Fanatic
Belliard lines a single to center. Get Hudson out now.

flyer85
Keisler time

Matt700wlw
There certainly seems to be a clone out there.

You mean it's not Eric Milton? :D

Eric_Davis
06-25-2005, 08:06 PM
These are the extremely "light-hitting" Indians.

Reds Fanatic
06-25-2005, 08:06 PM
Gerut doubles off the wall in right. 2nd and 3rd with one out.

Eric_Davis
06-25-2005, 08:07 PM
If Aaron Boone gets a hit off him, you know he's toast.

flyer85
06-25-2005, 08:07 PM
These are the extremely "light-hitting" Indians.when the Reds come to town, everybody is a heavyweight

LvJ
06-25-2005, 08:08 PM
Hey, a pitching change in the 3rd inning and were only down by 2. :dancingco

CTA513
Pull Hudson now, while the score is close enough to catch up to.

Waited to late and now its 2nd & 3rd with 1 out.

:rolleyes:

CTA513
Hey, a pitching change in the 3rd inning and were only down by 2. :dancingco

If everything goes right we should be down by 4 before the innings over.

Reds Nd2
06-25-2005, 08:09 PM
The guy has been treated horribly by his manager all year...moved all around the lineup, usually with no protection behind him, yet he's in the top six or seven in runs scored, and top 3 in HR's in the NL.

Dunn in '05
Batting Order AB's AVG OBP SLG
#5 183 .246/ .410/ .579
#6 38 .184/ .295/ .368
#4 8 .375/ .410/ .579
#7 2 .400/ .400/ 1.600
#9 2 .500/ .500/ 1.000

Matt700wlw
Wasn't Luke one of Dan's "key players" for this team?

Reds Fanatic
Ricky Stone in to pitch

Reds Fanatic
Boone singles. 6-3 Indians. 1st and 3rd.

LvJ
06-25-2005, 08:10 PM
:owned: 404 Relief Not Found

Reds Fanatic
06-25-2005, 08:12 PM
Peralta strikes out swinging. 2 outs.

creek14
06-25-2005, 08:13 PM
I suck at starting game threads.

Chip R
06-25-2005, 08:13 PM
Wasn't Luke one of Dan's "key players" for this team?Your assesment of that situation would be answered in the affirmative. At least that is what DanO would say. Any normal human would say, "Yes."

Matt700wlw
06-25-2005, 08:14 PM
This may be the brink of ugly....

Reds Fanatic
Sizemore walks. Bases loaded.

Eric_Davis
walking Sizemore was probably good.

flyer85
06-25-2005, 08:15 PM
new pitching coach is ruining Hudson :evil:

Chip R
I suck at starting game threads.Have faith. There's 6 innings left to play.

Reds Fanatic
Ugh. Crisp singles. 8-3 Indians.

Matt700wlw
Welcome back to Earth, Reds...

CTA513
06-25-2005, 08:16 PM
ha ha... Stone was a good choice.

Aronchis
The faster Ricky Stone bids adios, all the better.

OnBaseMachine

http://www.wilkinsandolander.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/beas_youre_fired.jpg from starting game threads.

:)

Eric_Davis
This is like the Bugs Bunny cartoon.

Falls City Beer
I leave for what seems like 10 minutes and this....

I'd send Hudson down to work on his attitude.

flyer85
Narron should have went with keisler intead of the righty matchups

CTA513
06-25-2005, 08:17 PM
All I can do is laugh at Stone.

Reds Fanatic
06-25-2005, 08:17 PM
Hafner singles. 9-3 Indians

CTA513
06-25-2005, 08:18 PM
Theres a 100% chance the Reds lose this game.

Aronchis
It will be interesting to compare Booker to Ricky after the Rickster gets the boot and Booker takes his place. I bet Booker is better.

RosieRed
kelly's no hitter was broken up by ...

get this ...

Corky Miller

Awww! Corky! :)

Eric_Davis
Well, this is fun.

Good time to get out and do some things on a Saturday night.

CTA513
06-25-2005, 08:19 PM
I hope they release Stone.

PuffyPig
06-25-2005, 08:19 PM
Theres a 100% chance the Reds lose this game.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Eric_Davis
06-25-2005, 08:20 PM
I hope they release Stone.

It's painful to release a stone.

CTA513
06-25-2005, 08:20 PM
Thanks for pointing that out.

Your welcome.

- God

RosieRed
06-25-2005, 08:22 PM

You never know, the Reds could come back and win. :p:

creek14
06-25-2005, 08:24 PM
You never know, the Reds could come back and win. :p:
Yeah, Dunn will have sac flies in each of his remaining ABs.

Chip R
06-25-2005, 08:25 PM
I hope they release Stone.He's got to flip someone off first.

Johnny Vander m
06-25-2005, 08:26 PM
Don't you just yearn for the good ole days when "Leather Pants" was running the show? What was it, made 9 moves after the Gnats lost a little while back? Where are they now? First!

CTA513
He's got to flip someone off first.

He just did on tv.

RosieRed

And in the morning, I'll wake up with the body of a supermodel. :thumbup:

RosieRed
06-25-2005, 08:28 PM
He just did on tv.

Seriously?

GAC
Them ex-Reds always kill us. Big Ben homers for the 2nd time

10-3 now

CTA513
I think the Reds gave up on this game... they keep Stone in to give up a homerun.

:/

RosieRed
06-25-2005, 08:29 PM
Where's Raisor? I hope he's watching Ben B.

Matt700wlw
06-25-2005, 08:31 PM
I thought batting practice was supposed to occur before the game?

Has the game not started yet?

CTA513
06-25-2005, 08:32 PM
if your going to give up at least put Encarnacion in to play 3rd.

Falls City Beer
06-25-2005, 08:32 PM
I think the Reds gave up on this game... they keep Stone in to give up a homerun.

:/

They gave up on this game when they let a guy who's had serious shoulder weakness start the game.

CTA513
06-25-2005, 08:33 PM
They gave up on this game when they let a guy who's had serious shoulder weakness start the game.

Paul Wilson didnt start.

:evil:

Reds Fanatic
Stone has now given up 6 hits and the Reds have given up 14 hits and its only the 4th inning.

jmcclain19

http://www.offcenter.us/humor/gas-mask.jpg

Falls City Beer
06-25-2005, 08:35 PM
Paul Wilson didnt start.

:evil:

It is hard to keep up with all the suckiness.

jmcclain19
06-25-2005, 08:36 PM
It is hard to keep up with all the suckiness.

Here's Reds pitching for you

http://www.offcenter.us/humor/killer.jpg

MWM
06-25-2005, 08:38 PM
Ah, I come in and check the score and see that the Reds I've come to know so well have returned.

They must not be doing a good job of advancing runners tonight to be down 7 runs.

OnBaseMachine
06-25-2005, 08:38 PM
Texas lead Florida, 4-0 in the 5th inning. By the way, I love Erin Andrews of ESPN. She is hot and likes baseball, what more could you ask for?

MWM
06-25-2005, 08:39 PM
Texas lead Florida, 4-0 in the 5th inning. By the way, I love Erin Andrews of ESPN. She is hot and likes baseball, what more could you ask for?

Is she rich? And how does she perform in the clutch?

RosieRed
06-25-2005, 08:39 PM

Wow, she sounds a lot like me.

;)

OnBaseMachine
06-25-2005, 08:41 PM
Is she rich? And how does she perform in the clutch?

She's rich in beauty, and I would :luvu: to see how she performs in the clutch...if ya know what I mean. ;)

:laugh: Rosie.

Falls City Beer
06-25-2005, 08:42 PM

I don't know who Erin Andrews is, but it's true, hot chicks are hot.

MWM
06-25-2005, 08:43 PM
but it's true, hot chicks are hot.

I might have to use that one for my sig one of these days when I get tired of the one I have now.

RosieRed
06-25-2005, 08:44 PM
What's the record for the most HRs in a game? :help:

Matt700wlw
, but it's true, hot chicks are hot.

What else would they be? ;)

Reds Fanatic
Another HR. Hafner homers. 11-3.

OnBaseMachine
I don't know who Erin Andrews is, but it's true, hot chicks are hot.

http://www.joincrossblog.com/blog/img/f19495/Erin%20andrews.jpg

MWM
06-25-2005, 08:45 PM
Wow. She's got a huge mouth. (Now just stop it! I meant nothing more than she has a unuaually large mouth).

Johnny Vander m
06-25-2005, 08:46 PM
Another Home Run, btw, Hudson's era is now 8.35. Wonder what Stone's will be when they ever pull him?

Falls City Beer
I approve.

MWM
The Reds were up 3-1 just two innings ago. Just sayin'.

Reds Fanatic
06-25-2005, 08:47 PM
Hudson gives up 7 runs on 8 hits in 2 1/3 IP
Stone so far 4 runs on 8 hits in 3 IP.

RosieRed
Is it me, or did that look awfully similar to the play Junior tore his hammy on last year?

flyer85
if the Reds get that small ball workin', they can get back in the game

CTA513
06-25-2005, 08:48 PM
Narron should do a bunch of switches and say he doesnt have enough players to finish the game, that way they can go home early.

flyer85
Is it me, or did that look awfully similar to the play Junior tore his hammy on last year?i thought the same thing we he lunged for it

Reds Nd2
Wow. She's got a huge mouth. (Now just stop it! I meant nothing more than she has a unuaually large mouth).

Last time I saw a mouth that large, it had a hook in it.

Just sayin'...

MWM
06-25-2005, 08:49 PM
Last time I saw a mouth that large, it had a hook in it.

There's a joke in there somewhere. :p:

CTA513
06-25-2005, 08:50 PM
Encarnacion

flyer85
06-25-2005, 08:51 PM
that was pretty hard to do. One guy on that side of the infield and Dunn hits it to him

TeamBoone
06-25-2005, 08:52 PM
if the Reds get that small ball workin', they can get back in the game

they need to get on base first... ;)

CTA513
06-25-2005, 08:52 PM
that was pretty hard to do. One guy on that side of the infield and Dunn hits it to him

Dunn can do alot of things that seem hard to do... like break the strikeout record.

:p:

Reds Nd2
06-25-2005, 08:54 PM
There's a joke in there somewhere. :p:

Like most of my posts tonight. :beerme:

Matt700wlw
06-25-2005, 08:56 PM
Junior with another running (similar to the tearing incident) grab!

RosieRed
06-25-2005, 08:57 PM
The Indians' radio guys are very impressed with Junior.

WVRedsFan
06-25-2005, 08:59 PM
The Indians' radio guys are very impressed with Junior.

TV guys, too.

RosieRed
06-25-2005, 09:01 PM
What just happened??

Reds Nd2
06-25-2005, 09:03 PM
What's the record for the most HRs in a game? :help:

Before tonight, the most by one team, in one game...

League Team Opponent HR's Date
AL Toronto Baltimore 10 9-14-1987
NL Cincinnati Philadelphia 9 9-09-1999

RosieRed
06-25-2005, 09:07 PM
Prince Fielder hit his first HR tonight. Just an FYI.

RosieRed
06-25-2005, 09:10 PM
Bergolla PHing for Aurilia.

Reds Nd2
06-25-2005, 09:11 PM
Man that Arron Boone guy can play some defense. Wish the Reds had him a couple of years ago.

Reds Nd2
06-25-2005, 09:13 PM
Bergolla PHing for Aurilia.

He needs to be playing, not pinch hitting.

Marc D
06-25-2005, 09:14 PM
well the good news is that RA, Randa, Casey and JR are all playing well and have good trade value from that perspective.

Now if we just had a GM that could handle the job.......

RosieRed
06-25-2005, 09:16 PM
In case anyone missed it, EdE is in at 3B. (At least according to Gameday.)

WVRedsFan
06-25-2005, 09:19 PM
Ben B., the former Reds first base prospect learns from Sean and hits into a Casey.

CTA513
06-25-2005, 09:20 PM
Wagner has hit 93mph a few times tonight.

TeamBoone
06-25-2005, 09:21 PM
Wagner falls off the mound after every pitch he throws.

Falls City Beer
06-25-2005, 09:22 PM

Hmm. Lessee. Game's not on the line and he's dealing (meaning pitch speed). Think it's a confidence issue? I do.

WVRedsFan
06-25-2005, 09:22 PM

Does anyone but me think that Gullett's tinkering withteaching everyone a sinker might have had an effect on velocity with our pitchers. Or am I all wet on that?

TeamBoone
06-25-2005, 09:23 PM
It might, depending on whether or not they've been able to recover from his tinkering in such a short time. Is that possible?

RosieRed
06-25-2005, 09:23 PM
In the bottom of the 10th inning in Louisville:

Christopher Denorfia flies out to center fielder Jason Tyner.
Austin Kearns singles on a ground ball to right fielder Kevin West.
Santiago Perez called out on strikes.
Alex Pelaez singles on a ground ball to right fielder Kevin West. Austin Kearns to 3rd.
With Pedro Swann batting, wild pitch by Beau Kemp, Austin Kearns scores.

Bats won 6-5. Kearns was 1-for-4 with an RBI and a BB.

Aronchis
06-25-2005, 09:25 PM
Hopefully third times a charm for Wagner. In 2004 he was supposed to breakout. In 2005 he was supposed to breakout. So does young snobby Mr. Wagner FINALLY breakout in 2006? He has plenty of work to do............

LvJ
06-25-2005, 09:25 PM
Wagner
Bad: 3 Hits, 2 Walks in 2 IP.
Good: 0 Runs, 3 K's in 2 IP.

LvJ
06-25-2005, 09:26 PM
Hopefully third times a charm for Wagner. In 2004 he was supposed to breakout. In 2005 he was supposed to breakout. So does young snobby Mr. Wagner FINALLY breakout in 2006? He has plenty of work to do............ Snobby? :confused:

Falls City Beer
06-25-2005, 09:28 PM
Wagner
Bad: 3 Hits, 2 Walks in 2 IP.
Good: 0 Runs, 3 K's in 2 IP.

The results aren't there, but the velocity is. Again, though, the game's not on the line; he's just cutting loose and not worrying. Which is the only way he's going to succeed. He's so obviously uncomfortable in tough situations--his confidence is shot.