PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: O'brien to be replaced by Twins asst. general manager if no improvement

CincyFan
06-29-2005, 05:33 PM
On www.redreporter.com ....

From USA Today:

The Reds likely will try to hire Twins assistant general manager Wayne Krivsky to replace GM Dan O'Brien if the Reds don't show improvement in the second half.

Krivsky is the guy we should have hired in the first place so this is potentially good news.

Also from the same page, discussing deserving All-Stars:

The choice is Felipe Lopez of Cincinnati. He has no chance in the fan vote, which will go to either Cesar Izturis of the Dodgers or David Eckstein of the Cardinals. So, we'll take Lopez and whoever wins the vote.

I have to think Lopez will be an All-Star this year, and probably the only Reds representative. I could see LaRussa possibly adding Griffey, but we'll see. :beerme:

MWM
06-29-2005, 05:40 PM
What the heck more could they learn betweeen now and the end of the season. I'd rather they go a ahead and hire him now.

Puffy
06-29-2005, 05:42 PM
What the heck more could they learn betweeen now and the end of the season.

Whats in the binder titled, "To be used only in case of an emergency and foods that start with the letter Q"

Falls City Beer
06-29-2005, 05:44 PM
What the heck more could they learn betweeen now and the end of the season. I'd rather they go a ahead and hire him now.

Man, Ralph Macchio rules!!

Ron Madden
06-29-2005, 05:50 PM

That would make sense to hire him now.
Sad to say the Reds organization doesn't work that way.
They will go on preaching good fudamentals and go on thinking like Redzones own Badfudamentals. :)

MWM
06-29-2005, 05:57 PM
Man, Ralph Macchio rules!!

Wax on, wax off.

REDREAD
06-29-2005, 06:11 PM

Don't give up hope, Machado and Hancock will lead the turnaround, as soon as they come off the DL :laugh:

My guess is that the Twins might not grant permission to interview the Twins guy in the middle of the season though.

The good news is that DanO's slow, deliberate style might save us from having him make a disaster Kearns/Dunn trade at the deadline.

Redmachine2003
06-29-2005, 06:11 PM
So DanO will try and win the Rest of the Year to save his job when he should be trying to trade for next year and the future since the best you could hope for this year is someplace close to .500 and maybe 3rd or 4th place. This would set the Reds whole system back another two years at least. Bad ownership if this is true.

CrackerJack
06-29-2005, 06:25 PM
Can this team get any worse? Shouldn't they improve by default? The season was completely lost well before the AS Break, that alone should be enough...and it had less to do with injuries (as OB would like you to believe) as it did with just terrible roster management and bad off-season decisions per the norm, and just general all-around bad team management in general (Allen).

OB and ecspecially Allen have already lost these players, they have no confidence in upper management, don't want to play for them, don't trust them, and don't like them.

This is just like the Bengals used to be I swear, basing a coach's future on the last 5 games of a season etc.., (Coslet, Lebeau, Shula) and not the over-all systematic problems caused by ownership and executive management.

KronoRed
06-29-2005, 06:41 PM
So DanO will try and win the Rest of the Year to save his job when he should be trying to trade for next year and the future since the best you could hope for this year is someplace close to .500 and maybe 3rd or 4th place. This would set the Reds whole system back another two years at least. Bad ownership if this is true.

Well there is a good side to it, he won't make any horrible deals with Dunn going.

WVRedsFan
06-29-2005, 06:48 PM
The good news is that DanO's slow, deliberate style might save us from having him make a disaster Kearns/Dunn trade at the deadline.

Well, think about this. Recently we heard that John Allen was calling teams trying to make deal. Maybe they aren't letting DanO do anything these days without permission, and they've cut him off from any more deals after the Milton disaster.

Of course, I don't trust John Allen either, so there you go. :bang:

kyred14
06-29-2005, 07:08 PM
If this means DanO isn't going to trade anyone trying to go .500 the rest of the way, this is really bad news. Do it now and allow something like that to happens, idiots.

RFS62
06-29-2005, 07:14 PM
Wax on, wax off.

:cool:

OldXOhio
06-29-2005, 08:02 PM
Krivsky is the guy until Carl steps in and picks who?

KronoRed
06-29-2005, 08:03 PM
Krivsky is the guy until Carl steps in and picks who?
Barry Larkin? ;)

MWM
06-29-2005, 08:20 PM
:cool:

That was just for you. :D

Joseph
06-29-2005, 08:22 PM
I think you have to put Krivsky in and rebuild the whole thing. Let him identify the parts that will be here for 4+ years and allow him to move everyone else no matter what the contract situation. Then you just have to wait, and ride out a few ugly years without pretending we'll be contending.

O'Brien would have done better to not sign big league players because it showed his apparent deficiency in judging talent. Other wise we would be more likely to defend him and say we should ride out the bad years while the building from the minors proceeds.

RBA
06-29-2005, 08:23 PM
The choice is Felipe Lopez of Cincinnati. He has no chance in the fan vote, which will go to either Cesar Izturis of the Dodgers or David Eckstein of the Cardinals. So, we'll take Lopez and whoever wins the vote.

I have to think Lopez will be an All-Star this year, and probably the only Reds representative. I could see LaRussa possibly adding Griffey, but we'll see.

DanO has already promised Rich Aurilia that he would send him to the All Star Game and he will start and bat 2nd.

Redmachine2003
06-29-2005, 09:17 PM
I think DanO should be fired right now so that the interviews can be done and a new GM could be put into place by the all star break so the New GM could take care of the Trading Deadline. This way he can get his Core group together and the Reds don't have to waste another year of a GM trying to make his mark on the team.

CincyFan
06-29-2005, 09:21 PM
I think DanO should be fired right now so that the interviews can be done and a new GM could be put into place by the all star break so the New GM could take care of the Trading Deadline. This way he can get his Core group together and the Reds don't have to waste another year of a GM trying to make his mark on the team.

Totally Agree :thumbup:

OldXOhio
06-29-2005, 10:00 PM
You mean tonight's performance is not showing the kind of improvement we're looking for?

RDriesen16
06-29-2005, 10:19 PM
On www.redreporter.com ....

From USA Today:

The Reds likely will try to hire Twins assistant general manager Wayne Krivsky to replace GM Dan O'Brien if the Reds don't show improvement in the second half.

Krivsky is the guy we should have hired in the first place so this is potentially good news.

Also from the same page, discussing deserving All-Stars:

I have to think Lopez will be an All-Star this year, and probably the only Reds representative. I could see LaRussa possibly adding Griffey, but we'll see. :beerme:
thats semi good to hear. is he the best option is question 1? also, does it really matter if allen and lindner are still here?

marcshoe
06-29-2005, 10:20 PM
You mean tonight's performance is not showing the kind of improvement we're looking for?

Tonight's performance is telling. It's time, I think. No need to wait; we have all the evidence we need. We're seeing how capable O'Brien is of putting a team together.

I'm usually an optomist, but I just can't see much positive here.

OldXOhio
06-29-2005, 10:37 PM
Tonight's performance is telling. It's time, I think. No need to wait; we have all the evidence we need. We're seeing how capable O'Brien is of putting a team together.

I'm usually an optomist, but I just can't see much positive here.

And it's only getting worse.

Exactly how many blowout losses, credited to one of DanO's prized offseason acquistions, must be endured before the inevitable happens? For cripes sake, can anyone in this organization act proactively AND timely all at once?

kjwheels15
06-29-2005, 10:43 PM
If we could somehow get Krivsky, I would be so happy! Imagine... a GM who would know how to build a strong farm system and who came from a winning organization. Would he actually want to come here though???

Edit: Does anyone have any background info on him besides being the asst. GM of the Twins?

Krusty
06-29-2005, 10:45 PM
Just seeing Ortiz and Rickey Stone tonight wants me to fire O'Brien now.

kjwheels15
06-29-2005, 10:53 PM
Just seeing Ortiz and Rickey Stone tonight wants me to fire O'Brien now.

also watching EE's growth being distorted by sitting on the bench.

Team Clark
06-29-2005, 10:56 PM

Agreed! NEXT!

Topcat
06-30-2005, 01:08 AM
i personally am emotionally drained with this version of the reds. I truly want Krivsky(sp)? here. It has reached a point where hope, blind love, and wishing for career years from players is my only hope. It will not happen :confused: . In the end even i have come to the conclusion that our only hope is to tear it down and rebuild.

toledodan
06-30-2005, 01:15 AM
also watching EE's growth being distorted by sitting on the bench.

having him up here sitting on the bench is almost the last straw for me. if they have no intention of trading randa EE needs to be sent back down. the only reasonable conclusion i can come up with is randa will be traded before the all star break and EE will become the starting third baseman after that. of course we're talking about our front office. :bang: :rolleyes:

KearnsyEars
06-30-2005, 03:30 AM
if they hire krivsky, I'll throw a party...for real...downtown cincy. everyone here is invited....the firing of DOB party. Who's with me?

Jpup
06-30-2005, 03:36 AM
if they hire krivsky, I'll throw a party...for real...downtown cincy. everyone here is invited....the firing of DOB party. Who's with me?

i would make the 4 hour drive, just for that. :beerme:

i told my girlfriend tonight, that we will not be going to Cincinnati until Dan O'brien is fired. period. exclamation point! underlined.

savafan
06-30-2005, 10:09 AM
Bringing in a new GM now wouldn't really give him time to evaluate the team in order to make moves by the trading deadline.

I wonder if Krivsky could talk Tom Kelly out of retirement...

Redus
06-30-2005, 10:18 AM
fire dan o now. unfortunately these reds take 3-6 months to do anything that makes sense.

RFS62
06-30-2005, 10:19 AM
I wonder if Krivsky could talk Tom Kelly out of retirement...

For what? So he can make 300 grand a year? So he can inherit one of the worst farm systems in the majors? So he can risk being remembered as another Reds fall guy manager instead of a great manager in Minnesota?

I keep hearing all these names bandied around, like Sweet Lou or Leyland. We will NEVER pay the money it takes to get an experienced, top line manager. Never.

You'll see Sweet Lou as a greeter at Wal-Mart before you ever see him in a Reds uniform again.

WVRedsFan
06-30-2005, 10:24 AM
For what? So he can make 300 grand a year? So he can inherit one of the worst farm systems in the majors? So he can risk being remembered as another Reds fall guy manager instead of a great manager in Minnesota?

I keep hearing all these names bandied around, like Sweet Lou or Leyland. We will NEVER pay the money it takes to get an experienced, top line manager. Never.

You'll see Sweet Lou as a greeter at Wal-Mart before you ever see him in a Reds uniform again.

Truer words have never been spoken! IF we get a new GM (and a big if it is) and IF he decides on a new manager, don't expect a superstar. Most wouldn't take the job for $3 million much less $300K.

westofyou
06-30-2005, 10:27 AM

No doubt, the infatuation with managers that played in the 60's/70's is almost as horrible to deal with as managers that sat on the bench in the 80's.

Here's my current dream... no former catchers as a manager. They have a stilted POV of the offensive side of the game and they spend a good amount of time focusing on "small things" and intangibles, they give way more rope to pitchers (due to their inherent relationship with them)

They see the game backwards in this day and age. I want a player that can give his pitchers to a guy that he can trust and not have a "catchers" opinion of said pitcher. I want a manager that knows what it was like to look at a hitter straight on, a manager that maybe once in his career batted in a slot not numbered 8 most of his career.

That would be a nice change from the last 4 guys here.

REDREAD
06-30-2005, 10:28 AM
Well, think about this. Recently we heard that John Allen was calling teams trying to make deal.

Now that is scarey. I could see Allen trading Dunn for 3 Romanos and a big bucket of cash. :thumbdown

KronoRed
06-30-2005, 11:08 AM
Now that is scarey. I could see Allen trading Dunn for 3 Romanos and a big bucket of cash. :thumbdown
No, it's Pile O Cash :D

savafan
06-30-2005, 12:36 PM
No, it's Pile O Cash :D

I thought we already had him. I hear we're looking at this Hispanic kid up in Columbus, Mucho Dinero.

redsfanmia
06-30-2005, 01:59 PM
The Reds organization is really walking a fine line i think. I think they have lost all faith in Obie's ability but they just cant fire him and hire someone mid-season. Do the Reds ownership/front office really trust Obie's talent evaluation enought to allow him to make trades that will affect the future of the organization? If the Reds sit on their few marketable players and get nothing for them how much does that set us back? Im not sure what the answers are but I hope that Obie is gone after this season and that he is not allowed to trade Dunn/Pena because im afraid of what he would get in return.

savafan
06-30-2005, 02:03 PM
It's also kinda scary to think that DanO may perceive himself as a lame duck GM and set out to purposely hurt this organization.

dsmith421
06-30-2005, 02:06 PM
It's also kinda scary to think that DanO may perceive himself as a lame duck GM and set out to purposely hurt this organization.

Like by signing Eric Milton to a 3-year, 25.5M contract?
Like by re-signing Paul Wilson even though he knew his arm was shredded?
Like by jerking around young talent like Austin Kearns and Felipe Lopez?

Seems like he's doing a pretty good job of hurting us already.

OldXOhio
06-30-2005, 02:07 PM

nah, he'd have to know he'd never work in baseball anywhere higher than Washington Township League equipment manager ever again.

then again, based on his GM track record, perhaps that's where he's headed anyway.

pedro
06-30-2005, 02:15 PM

that's silly.

REDREAD
06-30-2005, 02:16 PM
Like by signing Eric Milton to a 3-year, 25.5M contract?
Like by re-signing Paul Wilson even though he knew his arm was shredded?
Like by jerking around young talent like Austin Kearns and Felipe Lopez?

Seems like he's doing a pretty good job of hurting us already.

But wait until DanO really TRIES to hurt the organization :laugh:

Just kidding, of course. DanO isn't going to deliberately sabotage this club. Any damage will be unintentional. The poor guy is nuts, he thinks Machado and Hancock are going to turn things around.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-30-2005, 02:44 PM

If it were up to John Allen, they would make that exact trade -- minus 2 of the Romanos. :help:

guttle11
06-30-2005, 02:52 PM
if they hire krivsky, I'll throw a party...for real...downtown cincy. everyone here is invited....the firing of DOB party. Who's with me? :beerme:

MartyFan
06-30-2005, 03:14 PM
Krivsky was the guy I liked in the first place...I wanted them to go with Krivsky and Randolph when they gave the heave ho to Pants and Boone...But if danO can turn it around this year and make some moves that improve the depth of our pitching in the organization I'd say keep him.

RFS62
06-30-2005, 03:34 PM
The way I see it, his only chance to finish out his contract is if he can convince Allen and Lindner that he has successfully revamped the minor league system. He paid a lot of lip service to that as a goal when he got started.

He's failed miserably on the major league level. So badly that he's committed the one capital offense in Cincy.... he's brought the wrath of the public down on Lindner, and after he'd added millions to the payroll to make the team competitive.

Jesus Freak
06-30-2005, 03:38 PM
You can remove the word if from the title of this thread. If DanO needs the Reds to improve to save his job, he will definitely be fired.

IslandRed
06-30-2005, 03:48 PM
The way I see it, his only chance to finish out his contract is if he can convince Allen and Lindner that he has successfully revamped the minor league system. He paid a lot of lip service to that as a goal when he got started.

Which would be hard to do, since I don't remember reading ANY analysis, anywhere, that says the Reds' system is in appreciably better shape than it was two years ago.