PDA

View Full Version : Austin Kearns Recalled.

redsfan30
07-20-2005, 03:21 PM
Anderson Machado sent away.

Per the blog on cincypost.com

OldRightHander
07-20-2005, 03:23 PM
That makes more sense than the other piece of hot news we've had today.

pedro

Per the blog on cincypost.com

this certainly leads me to believe that someone else may be on their way out of town (WMP?)

redsfan30
this certainly leads me to believe that someone else may be on their way out of town (WMP?)
That's my thought exactly.

Playadlc
Does this mean one of our OF's are getting shipped out?

OSURedLeg
07-20-2005, 03:24 PM
This is getting really interesting, really fast. I'm still annoyed about losing Kenny Kelly - but at least now I can live at peace that it wasn't in order to keep Anderson Machado on the major league roster.

Chip R

Per the blog on cincypost.comWhere did they send him to, Siberia? ;)

I'd like to see them start Kearns on a regular basis since WMP has been slumping. Of course look who Kearns would have to hit against tonight. :eek: Now that I think about it, WMP has hit Wood well in the past so I'd wait till Thursday to start Kearns.

Elam
I'm thinking the same thing with Kearns getting called up and Cruz starting tonight. But who knows with this orginization anymore.

REDREAD
07-20-2005, 03:26 PM

That's what I'm thinking.. Please don't do anything dumb DanO, please at least break even on this deal.. Don't deal one of the OF for a handful of magic beans. :pray:

Petitt33
07-20-2005, 03:27 PM
It's looking like Wily Mo is gone. :(

Blimpie
07-20-2005, 03:27 PM
What time is the weigh-in?

zombie-a-go-go
07-20-2005, 03:28 PM
He's a fatty fat fatso.

Elam
07-20-2005, 03:28 PM
Per Marc:

UPDATE: Machado has been claimed, but I'm not at liberty to say by whom just yet.

Red Leader
07-20-2005, 03:30 PM
UPDATE: Machado has been claimed, but I'm not at liberty to say by whom just yet.

Stop.

First we activate Freel (good), but lose Kelly (bad). Now we've called up Kearns (good) and lost Machado (good). I'm afraid of what's next. That's 3 goods and 1 bad so far for those keeping track.

Petitt33
07-20-2005, 03:33 PM
When I first read the blog, it said that Machado was claimed by the Rockies...

OSURedLeg
07-20-2005, 03:33 PM
I'm amazed Machado got claimed. Who, besides the Reds, wants him?????

Danny Serafini
07-20-2005, 03:35 PM
Someone claimed Machado? Wow, looks like we were all wrong on that one. Who the heck else is interested? Off the wall theory, but maybe this has to do with a trade. Machado is going to someone who wants to send him down. Since they can't do it themselves without the risk of losing him, the Reds do it for them and then the team the Reds are trading with claims him. Does that make sense?

OSURedLeg
That's what I'm thinking.. Please don't do anything dumb DanO, please at least break even on this deal.. Don't deal one of the OF for a handful of magic beans. :pray:

With almost every source saying DanO's demands were way too high, I'm actually quite hopefull that he'll get a good return on any trade he's making right now. I'm actually looking forward to seeing what happens with this. I think we might just net a really good bargain from a team desparate for a big bat. :pray:

Wheelhouse
Why does it look like WMP is going?

zombie-a-go-go
07-20-2005, 03:36 PM
Wow, this just keeps getting better and better. Maybe next we'll hear that Obie's been canned.

REDREAD

DanO's worst nightmare has come true. Let's hope Allen keeps the sharp objects away from him.

:jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

CTA513

The Yankees need a centerfielder...

:devil:

Benihana
Machado claimed by the Rockies.

Wheelhouse
07-20-2005, 03:37 PM
Machado to Colorado...

OSURedLeg

Kearns got called up, & the only reason he would be called up is for regular playing time. Plus, Jacob Cruz is plugged in as the starting right fielder right now according to the other posters. I guess you're going to have to read between the lines on that one.

REDREAD
Wow, this just keeps getting better and better. Maybe next we'll hear that Obie's been canned.

Maybe DanO will resign so he can move to the city where Machado is headed to. :laugh:

redsfan30
07-20-2005, 03:40 PM
I can't imagine they would bring Austin Kearns back up here to sit the bench.

REDREAD
07-20-2005, 03:40 PM

This kind of makes sense. Didn't the Rocks lose their good rookie SS for the season with a neck(?) injury? I forget who is playing SS for them now, but they actually have the opportunity to see if he can hit in Coors or be a utility guy for them. Since they don't have a legit SS this year anyway, it kind of makes sense, even though it's a long shot that Machado will amount to anything. Maybe they just wanted to see what all the hype was about.

Wheelhouse
07-20-2005, 03:42 PM
yeah but why wouldnt it be dunn or even grif?

OSURedLeg
07-20-2005, 03:43 PM
RR, when you say "all the hype", do just mean DOB's love affair? ;)

LincolnparkRed
07-20-2005, 03:44 PM

Because normally you don't play someone who is being traded as to not expose them to possible injury before the deal is completed.

Red Leader
07-20-2005, 03:44 PM

Because there are only 5 OF's on the roster.

Jr., WMP, Dunn, Kearns, and Cruz.

Cruz in RF.

Dunn usually plays LF.

Jr. usually plays CF.

Kearns on the bench because he's traveling to the game.

corkedbat
07-20-2005, 03:45 PM

Just a WAG, but Cleveland just got rid of Gerut and wants Randa. I'll guess Randa and Wily Mo for Sowers and a package of other prospects.

OSURedLeg
07-20-2005, 03:45 PM
You make a valid point Wheel. I think the only thing clear at this juncture, is that it looks like one of the 3 starting outfielders are gone.

MartyFan
07-20-2005, 03:47 PM
Just a WAG, but Cleveland just got rid of Gerut and wants Randa. I'll guess Randa and Wily Mo for Sowers and a package of other prospects.

LOVE THE IDEA!!!!

Blimpie
07-20-2005, 03:48 PM
Because there are only 5 OF's on the roster.

Jr., WMP, Dunn, Kearns, and Cruz.

Cruz in RF.

Dunn usually plays LF.

Jr. usually plays CF.

Kearns on the bench because he's traveling to the game.I'm not so sure. Remember in Marc's blog about "the talk" Narron had with Cruz in his office last night? I think Jacob may be the odd man out after tonight...

OSURedLeg
07-20-2005, 03:51 PM
The anticipation is killing me. I don't even think I've ever been this excited for Christmas. What in the world is it gonna be????

Elam
07-20-2005, 03:53 PM
"Reunited and it feels so good"

http://www.onlinesports.com/images/phf-aael033.jpg
(Unless some crazy move happens)

flyer85
07-20-2005, 03:54 PM
The anticipation is killing me. I don't even think I've ever been this excited for Christmas. What in the world is it gonna be????I am not getting my hopes up that anything will happen on the trade front that we would see as positive is going to happen. It is too much to hope that Aurilia will be traded.

Romano, Machado and Aurilia, gone within two days. I would think I must have died and gone to heaven.:pray:

KronoRed
07-20-2005, 03:55 PM
I don't think anyone else has been moved, Kearns and Pena will just split time.

Woo.

redsfan30
07-20-2005, 03:56 PM
The anticipation is killing me. I don't even think I've ever been this excited for Christmas. What in the world is it gonna be????
Nothing personal, because I'm excited too....but this shows how far Reds baseball has fallen that we are this excited over today's moves.

deltachi8
07-20-2005, 03:58 PM
What Krono said..where is Louisville? Austin may not be able to make in time to play and they could be giving Pena a night off.

MartyFan
07-20-2005, 03:59 PM
I think this is better anticipation even then when Bowden pulled the trigger on getting Junior...why? Because Juniro was forcing the M's hand on the other end...it was just a matter of time.

I think this has to be BIG with some immediate impact players because if I am not mistaken we have 3 roster spots available on our 40 man right now...anyway, must be huge!

OSURedLeg
07-20-2005, 03:59 PM
Nope none taken. But I'm not that excited about what's already happened. I'm excited to hear what "might" happen. If the trade includes Wily Mo, then it's a big deal for thhe Reds & I hope to see a high return. Of course if nothing happens, then yeah I've pretty much hit new lows for being easily excited.

MartyFan
07-20-2005, 04:00 PM
Louisville is only a couple hours drive from Cincy...certainly no further...I can't see a reason why he wouldn't be here and able to play tonight...but wait!!!! Wasn't Louisville playing in Rochester, oh Rochester?

MartyFan
07-20-2005, 04:01 PM
Nope none taken. But I'm not that excited about what's already happened. I'm excited to hear what "might" happen. If the trade includes Wily Mo, then it's a big deal for thhe Reds & I hope to see a high return. Of course if nothing happens, then yeah I've pretty much hit new lows for being easily excited.

The first step towards healing is admiting it.

KronoRed
07-20-2005, 04:02 PM
Nothing personal, because I'm excited too....but this shows how far Reds baseball has fallen that we are this excited over today's moves.
We live for July around here ;)

deltachi8
07-20-2005, 04:02 PM
Only direct flights to CIncy from Rochester would be Delta, so it would depend on their schedule.

OSURedLeg
07-20-2005, 04:03 PM
When your team is the Reds, it doesn't take much MartyFan ;)

REDREAD
07-20-2005, 04:04 PM
RR, when you say "all the hype", do just mean DOB's love affair? ;)

Yes. I can't believe DanO got rid of "the Savior" for nothing.. :laugh:

Yes, the DanO generated hype about how Hancock and Machado were going to turn the team around.

REDREAD
07-20-2005, 04:06 PM

Yeah, there's something like 4000+ views on the Machado/Kelly threads. We're certainly desparate for any kind of excitement. I'm looking forward to a move getting made, so we have something else to talk about besides how bad the pitching stinks.

flyer85
07-20-2005, 04:08 PM
What Krono said..where is Louisville?Played in Pawtucket yesterday.

REDREAD
07-20-2005, 04:12 PM
Played in Pawtucket yesterday.

That's another puzzling thing. If the Reds had planned on activating Kearns today, it would make sense that he'd be flown in yesterday so he could be in uniform for tonights game. I'm sure they didn't leave him in Pawtucket yesterday just to accomodate chilli and M2.

It's almost as if this decision was just made today. I would think the slow, deliberate DanO would've had Kearns in town already before he activated him.

flyer85
07-20-2005, 04:16 PM
I'm sure they didn't leave him in Pawtucket yesterday just to accomodate chilli and M2.Maybe they are bigger than we suspect.
Conspiracy: Get Kearns in front of them, have him dog it, gets plastered all over Red Zone.

Of course there would be no point to it other than to quell the RedsZone cry of "Bring Back Kearns". Maybe this board has DanO on the run?

TeamSelig
07-20-2005, 04:27 PM
I'm hoping Casey was traded.

NC Reds
07-20-2005, 04:30 PM
Welcome back Kearnsey! :party:

Machado may be able to hit some warning track flyballs in that thin air in Denver.

sigep529
07-20-2005, 04:31 PM
Rotoworld on the Reds' moves:

Reds recalled outfielder Austin Kearns from Triple-A Louisville.
But will he play? Kearns hit .342/.407/.685 in 28 games for Louisville, and Wily Mo Pena has slumped of late. We doubt Kearns will get regular playing time, but he should be picked up in NL-only leagues. Not only is this bad news for Pena, but it also hurts Rich Aurilia, as there will be less outfield time available for Ryan Freel. Jul. 20 - 4:26 pm et

&

Rockies claimed infielder Anderson Machado off waivers from the Reds.
The Reds should have just sent down Ray Olmedo. A very good defensive infielder with on-base skills, Machado is the better bet of the two for the future. The Rockies might give him an extended look at shortstop at some point. NL-only leaguers will want to keep an eye on the situation. Jul. 20 - 4:24 pm et

kjwheels15
07-20-2005, 04:37 PM
Rockies claimed infielder Anderson Machado off waivers from the Reds.
The Reds should have just sent down Ray Olmedo. A very good defensive infielder with on-base skills, Machado is the better bet of the two for the future. The Rockies might give him an extended look at shortstop at some point. NL-only leaguers will want to keep an eye on the situation. Jul. 20 - 4:24 pm et

I didnt know DanO was a journalist also ;)

REDREAD
07-20-2005, 04:38 PM
I really think Machado's ablity to take a walk is overrated. At the ML level, pitchers have better control and they will not give in to a guy that can't even hit .100

I really doubt he'll be able to post decent OBP in the majors unless he learns to hit better. A lot of ML pitchers can just throw it straight down the pipe and blow him away.

flyer85
07-20-2005, 04:47 PM
I really think Machado's ablity to take a walk is overrated. At the ML level, pitchers have better control and can throw the offspeed pitches for strikes, which is the stuff that turns Machado into a helpless hitter.

KearnsyEars
07-20-2005, 04:50 PM
is kearns already in cincinnati? if so i am going to the game

KearnsyEars
07-20-2005, 04:52 PM
if they're smart, he'll be there by game time.

Danny Serafini
07-20-2005, 04:53 PM
is kearns already in cincinnati? if so i am going to the game

He's expected to make it to the park sometime after the start of the game.

Red Leader
07-20-2005, 05:28 PM
Party at Sean Casey's locker after the game!

:party: :party: :party: :rockband: :rockband:

:nintendo: :nintendo:

M2
07-20-2005, 05:32 PM

Whenever looking for the greater fool you're sure to find Dan O'Dowd.

lollipopcurve
07-20-2005, 05:47 PM
The Reds should have just sent down Ray Olmedo. A very good defensive infielder with on-base skills, Machado is the better bet of the two for the future.

rotoworld = lalaland

KronoRed
07-20-2005, 06:19 PM
Whenever looking for the greater fool you're sure to find Dan O'Dowd.

The original Dan O?

Willy
07-20-2005, 06:23 PM
I think we are all getting to excited, just because Dan has awaken from his zobie state, doesn't mean he is about to actually do something.

Why not make this move with Kearns last night, intead of wasting a day?

Jimbo, loves messing with the Reds, I'm sure he claimed Kelly just to pour a little salt in the wound.

thorn
07-20-2005, 06:35 PM
Let Jimbo have Kelly, he was nothing more than a 6th OF on this squad anyways. I don't understand the disappointment of loosing Kelly, 5th OF's are everywhere. Someone called him a 5 tool outfielder, LMFAO, that's just stupid.

KearnsyEars
07-20-2005, 06:36 PM
Gooooo Kearnsy

IslandRed
07-20-2005, 06:44 PM
Yeah, I can't decide which stuns me more: that O'Brien actually turned loose of Machado, or that he was actually right about someone out there waiting to claim him off waivers.

sigep529
07-20-2005, 08:06 PM
rotoworld = lalaland

Maybe not completely...

Both Wily Mo Pena and Austin Kearns are sitting tonight. Interim manager Jerry Narron has Jacob Cruz in right field.
It's like Dave Miley never left. The Reds are 38-55. How can sitting both Pena and Kearns be good for the team? Jul. 20 - 6:22 pm et
http://rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?sport=MLB&id=6522

captainmorgan07
07-20-2005, 09:12 PM
well i'll eat my words i didnt' expect kearns to be back but i've had a change of heart and are happy to see him hope he does well this has to mean something big is going on can anyone tell if pena is in the dugout?

Betterread
07-20-2005, 10:54 PM
I think this is a rational move, at last. Kearns is a big-leaguer. Machado will be available to the Reds again, mark my words. I hope at that point the team will be improved enough to turn away from acquiring him.

deltachi8
07-21-2005, 12:07 AM
I eat crow as well, i didnt expect AK to be play again for the Reds.

That said, I hope he was not brought up to be a cheerleader....he needs to play everyday, either here or in AAA. A trade better come (please casey, please).

KronoRed
07-21-2005, 01:44 AM
I eat crow as well, i didnt expect AK to be play again for the Reds.

That said, I hope he was not brought up to be a cheerleader....he needs to play everyday, either here or in AAA. A trade better come (please casey, please).

Agreed.

I too thought he was done here, BUT I was never in favor of bringing him back to play bench duty :D

Unassisted
07-21-2005, 01:51 AM
is kearns already in cincinnati? if so i am going to the gameIt took him 3 days to get to Louisville from Cincinnati. It should take about that long to get back. ;)

KearnsyEars
07-21-2005, 09:13 AM
If kearns is in the lineup today, I'm skippin outta work here at Paul Brown stadium, to go to the game

KearnsyEars
07-21-2005, 09:16 AM
using time wisely....

what can i say, I'm a true fan and I missed seeing him play