PDA

View Full Version : Padres Fans Reactions To Sean Casey Rumor

Jesus Freak
07-24-2005, 12:17 AM
Here is what Padres Fans are saying about a rumor of te Padres showing interest in Sean Casey. Big Donkey posted this rumor on the other board.

"Postgame guys mentioned that trading for Casey is still fairly hot on the rumor mill."

"Trading for another first baseman keeps Klesko in the outfield and Nady out of the lineup. Just like with the Snow rumor, it's a guy I wouldn't mind having but it seems kind of pointless."

"Casey in exchange for what though? Nevin already vetoed a trade a couple years ago, so it's not likely he would go there now and he would be the only player that would make sense. Maybe the reds would be the third team in the trade and Ponson would be shipped off to the reds, they need pitching don't they?"

WVRedsFan
07-24-2005, 12:21 AM
"Casey in exchange for what though? Nevin already vetoed a trade a couple years ago, so it's not likely he would go there now and he would be the only player that would make sense. Maybe the reds would be the third team in the trade and Ponson would be shipped off to the reds, they need pitching don't they?"

Jesus, I pray that that's the deal. In fact, if it happens I might believe in DanO again. Not that I think Ponson is the answer, but he's more of an answer than prospects that may or may not work out.

Jesus Freak
07-24-2005, 12:23 AM
I'd do Casey straight up for Burroughs. You can them try to spin Burroughs somewhere this Winter or keep him as insurance if EdE turns out to be Willie Greene II (which I don't think he will be). Not sure the Padres would do this deal though unless the Reds kicked in some financial aid.

redsrule2500
07-24-2005, 01:14 AM
I wouldn't trade Casey for anyone right now.

acredsfan
07-24-2005, 01:27 AM
It would be pointless to trade for another 3rd baseman. I don't know why you would send the message to Encarnacion that we don't fully trust his abilities, so we are bringing in a backup player "just in case." To me, when the Reds traded Randa today, that is showing that they think Edwin is ready and they put their trust in his ability to play at the Major League level. They have made that decision so they must stick by it and live with the consequences (good or bad). Besides, Encarnacion will go through some good and some bad times, you just have to ride it out and hope that the bad will be less numerous. Oh, and I do like the sound of Ponson, as long as you make Kearns teach him how to lose some weight!

Gainesville Red
07-24-2005, 01:29 AM

Anyone on the Padres, or anyone period? Because that's crazy. (Either way)

smith288
07-24-2005, 01:34 AM
I wouldn't trade Casey for anyone right now. And im glad you arent DanO then. ;)

Cedric
07-24-2005, 01:34 AM
I'd trade Casey first chance, any gm would.

dsmith421
07-24-2005, 01:43 AM

Right now I would trade Casey for nothing. It would be the equivalent of trading Casey for Austin Kearns and a long-term deal for Adam Dunn.

gm
07-24-2005, 01:46 AM
any gm would.

John Hart did, Jim Bowden didn't. So far Dan O'Brien hasn't

The '98 Padres went to the WS with Joyner playing 1b. The '90 Reds won with Morris; Wally and Hal were similar to Sean as hitters. Casey's not dragging the Red's offense down, they're leading the NL. Put Casey on a team with pitching and he'll make contact w/RISP, drive in runs and contribute to a playoff contender

Just like in '99

redsrule2500
07-24-2005, 01:50 AM
Dan O is dumb, probably worse than Bowden.

He probably will trade Casey.

toledodan
07-24-2005, 01:51 AM
just got done watching the fox california sports report and they brought up the casey to san diego trade rumor. i guess its up to the nevin trade to baltimore going through. that being said i don't think nevin will go.

KronoRed
07-24-2005, 01:51 AM
GM, to me it comes down to Trade Casey or Trade Dunn..and to me that's an easy choice.

We still have 5 guys for 4 spots..trade Casey and we can move Dunn to 1st and have Pena and Kearns with JR in the outfield.

toledodan
07-24-2005, 01:54 AM
Right now I would trade Casey for nothing. It would be the equivalent of trading Casey for Austin Kearns and a long-term deal for Adam Dunn.

DING! DING! DING!

i would take xavier nady for him straight up and then turn around and lock up kearns, dunn and pena long term.

pedro
07-24-2005, 01:56 AM
Jesus, I pray that that's the deal. In fact, if it happens I might believe in DanO again. Not that I think Ponson is the answer, but he's more of an answer than prospects that may or may not work out.

The Reds would be better getting nothing than Ponson. He's horrible and makes 8.5 Million a year.

DoogMinAmo
07-24-2005, 02:06 AM
The Reds would be better getting nothing than keeping Casey. He's horrible and makes 8.5 Million a year.

I changed something, and yet it still works, go figure.

MartyFan
07-24-2005, 02:07 AM
DING! DING! DING!

i would take xavier nady for him straight up and then turn around and lock up kearns, dunn and pena long term.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :beerme: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Another thing this does is gives us an additional SUPER SUB on the roster and allows us to either deal Junioor (if that can happen) and play Naddy or Freel in the OF...or...deal Freal along with Merker too the BoSox for Shoppach.

Gainesville Red
07-24-2005, 02:15 AM
It's tough because Casey is such a damn nice guy, but Krono's right, 4 guys for 5 spots doesn't work. And Casey's the expensive one. I like Casey as much as anyone,and I'm gonna miss seeing him chat to anyone he see's on first. My girlfreind's gonna give me hell when the Reds trade him, but it's the right move to make.

WMR
07-24-2005, 04:22 AM
Trade Him. Casey Must Go.

RedsBaron
07-24-2005, 08:35 AM
There are about $8,000,000 or so reasons to trade Casey. Sean is a very nice guy who is vastly overpaid, given his production.

RFS62
07-24-2005, 08:45 AM
I'm as big a Casey fan as they come. When he was lambasted here for a couple of years, I didn't take it very well. Turns out he was injured, and the first half of last year, he looked like the Casey we all saw in '99.

His stroke was back, and he raked.

But it hasn't lasted. Unless he's injured again, and we don't know it, his production level is overpriced for our budget.

In the big picture, he brings a lot of things to the table that aren't production related. He's the face of the franchise, and there is a goodwill-marketing element to that situation that the front office uses to their advantage. You might say that part of his salary should be charged off as a marketing expense.

And I don't think that his drop off in slugging this year is the real Casey, any more than the increase last year was. Regardless, we've got better options and if we can get out from under his salary and move Dunn to first, it's the smart thing to do.

If we do it, the real outcry won't come from savy fans who read here. It will come from all the casual fans who want their kids to be like Casey. There is a real value to that kind of goodwill. We just can't afford it.

RedsBaron
07-24-2005, 08:54 AM
Sean is also now 31 years old. I realize some players maintain great production throughout their 30s, but historically most players begin to fade once they get that old. If Sean could produce as he did in 1999 and 2004, his contract would've be bad, but those seasons certainly do not appear to be his norm at this point.
I don't enjoy criticizing Casey. He IS a nice guy. Unfortunately he is also overpaid, compared to other firstbasemen, and paid too much for the Reds budget.

wally post
07-24-2005, 10:44 AM
It seems we "mostly" agree. I would also do Ponson for Casey in a minute. But, the thought of Ponson + Cincinnati Chili = :help:

BuckU
07-24-2005, 10:53 AM
I don't know why you would send the message to Encarnacion that we don't fully trust his abilities, so we are bringing in a backup player "just in case."

Worked in the case of RA coming in with F'Lo..

westofyou
07-24-2005, 11:05 AM
Sean Casey is Gordy Coleman, would you have wanted to keep Gordy Coleman instead of playing Lee May at 1st?

Redmachine2003
07-24-2005, 11:16 AM
If Ponson ended up in Cincy it would only be for 7 days at the most.

4256 Hits
07-24-2005, 11:20 AM
The '98 Padres went to the WS with Joyner playing 1b. The '90 Reds won with Morris; Wally and Hal were similar to Sean as hitters. Casey's not dragging the Red's offense down, they're leading the NL. Put Casey on a team with pitching and he'll make contact w/RISP, drive in runs and contribute to a playoff contender

Just like in '99

1st off Casey in no where near the player he was in '99 plus now he is making about 400% more now.

Morris only got about 300ab in 1990; he wasn't hitting 3rd getting 1/6 of the teams payroll and hitting in to 30+ double plays.

westofyou
07-24-2005, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by gm

The '98 Padres went to the WS with Joyner playing 1b.

Joyner was .90 better in OPS than the league and .46 better than all other 1b... plus he could pick it much better than Casey.

Casey .304/.360/.394

NL 1b .282/.362/.482

NL .260/.328/.413

Hobo
07-24-2005, 12:13 PM
Hasn't it been mentioned a couple times about the Pad's being interested in Milton, maybe Casey and Milton. :)
Wonder how long it would take to convert Burroughs into a catcher. :evil:

RedsBaron
07-24-2005, 12:33 PM
Hasn't it been mentioned a couple times about the Pad's being interested in Milton, maybe Casey and Milton. :)
Wonder how long it would take to convert Burroughs into a catcher. :evil:
If San Diego will assume all of the obigations on their contracts, I'd trade Casey and Milton to the Padres for Nate Colbert. Colbert is nearly 60 years old and has been retired for a long time, but I'd still make the trade. ;)

Krusty
07-24-2005, 01:40 PM
Latest rumor is Nevin will veto the trade with his no-trade clause, especially with him just building a house in San Diego. He doesn't want to leave the West Coast.

If this happens, forget about Casey going to San Diego.

Caveman Techie
07-24-2005, 01:45 PM
I'm as big a Casey fan as they come. When he was lambasted here for a couple of years, I didn't take it very well. Turns out he was injured, and the first half of last year, he looked like the Casey we all saw in '99.

But it hasn't lasted. Unless he's injured again, and we don't know it, his production level is overpriced for our budget.

In the big picture, he brings a lot of things to the table that aren't production related. He's the face of the franchise, and there is a goodwill-marketing element to that situation that the front office uses to their advantage. You might say that part of his salary should be charged off as a marketing expense.

And I don't think that his drop off in slugging this year is the real Casey, any more than the increase last year was. Regardless, we've got better options and if we can get out from under his salary and move Dunn to first, it's the smart thing to do.

If we do it, the real outcry won't come from savy fans who read here. It will come from all the casual fans who want their kids to be like Casey. There is a real value to that kind of goodwill. We just can't afford it.

This is probably one of the best posts describing Casey I have ever seen. If it wasn't for the Reds being strapped for cash I would keep Casey here until he was ready to coach. However with the budget being what it is I would have to trade him to anyone willing to take over a majority of his contract.

Now this is also assuming (big assumption) that the Reds would then turn around and use the money freed up by Casey to either A) sign Dunn long term, or B) sign a true impact pitcher. If neither of these things happened then I wouldn't want Casey traded, why get rid of one of my favorite players just so the team can't do the right thing.

Slyder
07-24-2005, 02:38 PM
Worked in the case of RA coming in with F'Lo..

I hope that was a toungue in cheek moment....

Only thing that did was keep a more deserving young player(s) off the field while O'Brien/Miley played a guy who was hitting near 200 or lower while Pena, Kearns, Freel, or Lopez were on the bench.

Jesus Freak
07-24-2005, 04:05 PM
The good thing is if the Reds got Ponson, they could give him Calvin Pickering's (another former Oriole) pants. I think they would fit him, so it would save them a little money in the uniform department. :) :cool:

Strikes Out Looking
07-24-2005, 05:14 PM
Do not trade Casey and end up with Ponson. With Casey, you at least have someone everyone likes and he performs well. Ponson spent the offseason in an Aruba jail, and is pitching worse than Milton this season (with the salary to match). This would be a bad deal. Casey for nothing would be better because you at least get salary relief.

BuckU
07-24-2005, 05:22 PM
I hope that was a toungue in cheek moment....

Only thing that did was keep a more deserving young player(s) off the field while O'Brien/Miley played a guy who was hitting near 200 or lower while Pena, Kearns, Freel, or Lopez were on the bench.

I was dead serious. I believe bringing in RA brought out the best in F'Lo. Competition tends to make players better, ya know?

It wasn't ever clear, even after his 2nd half last year, that F'Lo was going to be successful. (though i'm pleased he has been)

oregonred
07-24-2005, 06:31 PM

RFS62 -- Very well stated :thumbup:

Dunn is the face of the franchise. He's also the one guy that can bring the average fan through the turnstile whether the team is mediocre or decent. As soon as the franchise figures out what they have in marketing potential with Dunn then they might actually begin to break the small market mode of operation (and promotion).

Ben from Cincy
07-24-2005, 11:13 PM
An executive from one of the teams involved in the Balt.-SD trade feels the Nevin will NOT veto the trade and the deal could be finalized by Monday evening.
Link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/24/AR2005072401119.html

Big Klu
07-25-2005, 03:18 AM

I agree completely. Sean Casey has been my favorite player since taking over fulltime at 1B in 1999 (I have always been partial to first basemen), but it has been my opinion since the end of last season that Casey is the logical one to move. Of course, Ken Griffey Jr.'s questionable health caused many (myself included) to hold off on coming to that realization, but I think it is now obvious to most that Casey must be traded (or culled, as I described it to a friend of mine) to improve the team as a whole.

Revering4Blue
07-25-2005, 04:23 AM
If San Diego will assume all of the obigations on their contracts, I'd trade Casey and Milton to the Padres for Nate Colbert. Colbert is nearly 60 years old and has been retired for a long time, but I'd still make the trade. ;)

Not a bad suggestion. Should the Pads insist on hanging on to Colbert, Casey and Milton for Enzo Hernandez and Bob Owchinko works for me. :thumbup:

Number_Fourteen
07-25-2005, 06:05 AM
Not a bad suggestion. Should the Pads insist on hanging on to Colbert, Casey and Milton for Enzo Hernandez and Bob Owchinko works for me. :thumbup:

Rookie Randy Jones looks quite decent for the Pads, possibly they might be willing to toss in that Freddy Norman guy as well?

RFS62
07-25-2005, 08:03 AM

That deal fell through. Nate invoked his 10/30 rights and vetoed the trade.

Unassisted
07-25-2005, 09:21 AM
There are about $8,000,000 or so reasons to trade Casey. Sean is a very nice guy who is vastly overpaid, given his production.And that's exactly the reason that the Reds won't be able to trade him.

REDREAD
07-25-2005, 09:59 AM
It would be pointless to trade for another 3rd baseman.

I disagree. The Reds have a serious talent deficit, and need to grab all the talent they can get. If they end up with two quality 3b, they can easily trade one for another need.

REDREAD
07-25-2005, 10:01 AM

Just like in '99

I'm surprised this is your take. Casey is not worth 8 million on this club. Aren't you always harping on how the Reds spend a disporportionate amount on position players? If Casey only made 2-3 million, I'd agree with you, but he's killing us. If we don't move Casey, someone like Dunn will have to be traded to meet Allen's budget for next eyar.

REDREAD
07-25-2005, 10:07 AM
It seems we "mostly" agree. I would also do Ponson for Casey in a minute. But, the thought of Ponson + Cincinnati Chili = :help:

I don't think I'd trade Casey for Ponson.

I'd like to trade Casey, but if you get Ponson, that ties up a spot in the rotation to another high paid starting pitcher. We already have Milton and Wilson eating up two slots. Ortiz will likely be gone next year, but Wilson will get some starts, whether he's healthy or not.

Claussen and Harang have slots locked up for next year. So I'd rather leave a 5th spot open (Claussen, Milton, Harang, and Wilson have by default locked up 5 "slots"). I'd rather keep that fifth slot open for an inexpensive waiver wire pickup or for in case some kid steps up (like that kid we just got for Randa).

Having 3 slots in the rotation (this year and next) manned by overpriced, immovable vet starting pitchers is not a good idea for a rebuilding team.

I'll keep Casey instead. Ponson doesn't give us any salary relief.

REDREAD
07-25-2005, 10:09 AM
I was dead serious. I believe bringing in RA brought out the best in F'Lo. Competition tends to make players better, ya know?

I agree. I really liked the idea of making Lopez win his job (which he did).
I didn't work out too well when the Reds handed Lopez the job. He's much more focused this year.

REDREAD
07-25-2005, 10:11 AM
And that's exactly the reason that the Reds won't be able to trade him.

I tend to agree. It's going to be VERY difficult to trade Casey. Too bad DanO didn't move him last year.

flyer85
07-25-2005, 10:15 AM
I can't see Casey going anywhere. I don't see a real good fit.

It's amazing when you look at the Reds for this year. JB stuck the Reds with some bad contracts in Graves and Casey.

Then DanO piles on with Milton and Wilson.

Dumb and dumber.

OldXOhio
07-25-2005, 10:21 AM
I don't think I'd trade Casey for Ponson.

I'd like to trade Casey, but if you get Ponson, that ties up a spot in the rotation to another high paid starting pitcher. We already have Milton and Wilson eating up two slots. Ortiz will likely be gone next year, but Wilson will get some starts, whether he's healthy or not.

Claussen and Harang have slots locked up for next year. So I'd rather leave a 5th spot open (Claussen, Milton, Harang, and Wilson have by default locked up 5 "slots"). I'd rather keep that fifth slot open for an inexpensive waiver wire pickup or for in case some kid steps up (like that kid we just got for Randa).

Having 3 slots in the rotation (this year and next) manned by overpriced, immovable vet starting pitchers is not a good idea for a rebuilding team.

I'll keep Casey instead. Ponson doesn't give us any salary relief.

While I don't disagree with you ( and I also don't know the specifics of Ponson's contract situation), for argument's sake, would you not rather have $ of this amount tied up in pitching than a positional player, esp. considering the offensive caliber this club possesses? I would also think a pitcher performing below expectations would be easier to move than a 1B putting up the kind of #s Casey is.

REDREAD
07-25-2005, 02:27 PM
While I don't disagree with you ( and I also don't know the specifics of Ponson's contract situation), for argument's sake, would you not rather have $ of this amount tied up in pitching than a positional player, esp. considering the offensive caliber this club possesses? I would also think a pitcher performing below expectations would be easier to move than a 1B putting up the kind of #s Casey is.

I don't mind $$ being tied up in good pitching. It's looking like Ponson is a bad pitcher though. Looks like he got that big contract and got lazy or apathetic or hurt. He's been very inconsistent throughout his whole career, and then had a big year right before free agency. I'm not sure how long Ponson's contract is, but I think it's as least as long as Casey's.

I would rather leave a slot open in the rotation, and hope to get an average pitcher instead of Ponson, as opposed to having 3 albotrosses next year cemented in the rotation (Wilson, Milton, Ponson). But, if there was confidence that Ponson could even pitch at an average level, then everything changes; I make the trade then. I just think Ponson is bad.

cincyinco
07-25-2005, 02:31 PM
It would be pointless to trade for another 3rd baseman. I don't know why you would send the message to Encarnacion that we don't fully trust his abilities, so we are bringing in a backup player "just in case." To me, when the Reds traded Randa today, that is showing that they think Edwin is ready and they put their trust in his ability to play at the Major League level. They have made that decision so they must stick by it and live with the consequences (good or bad). Besides, Encarnacion will go through some good and some bad times, you just have to ride it out and hope that the bad will be less numerous. Oh, and I do like the sound of Ponson, as long as you make Kearns teach him how to lose some weight!

Why acquire another 3B? Beyond EE, who do we have? I dont know that Burroughs is the answer, but we certainly lack 3b depth in the minors, I do know that. If casey is shipped out, I will be one happy Reds fan. The guy thats "impossible" to trade, moved. Solves the OF problem, a big time problem. And I prefer the talent of Dunn/Griff/Kearns/Pena on the field everday over Casey/Dunn/Griff and Mo or Kearns.

cincyinco
07-25-2005, 02:34 PM

Just like in '99

Casey is a punch and Judy hitter. 99 is an aberation, not the norm. Casey is not dragging down the Reds offense, true. But you say you put him on a team with pitching and suddenly he's in 99 form? I fail to see how his own teams PITCHING directly affects his offensive production. Casey will be punch and judy where ever he goes.