PDA

View Full Version : Latest on Casey, Soriano, CIN-NYM-TEX talk

Big Donkey
07-27-2005, 04:20 PM
Latest update regarding this situation:

Although it's been recently said that Soriano had a "1/2 of 1% chance" of being traded, that now it looks very likely TEX will deal him by Sunday, according to things I've picked up that's been attributed to sources close to John Hart and the Rangers. The three-way trade including the Reds is still being floated around and there are several variations of it; some of the names I've seen linked to the Reds in some fashion or another include John Hudgins, Juan Dominguez and Adrian Gonzalez from TEX and Aaron Heilman, Jae Seo, Brian Bannister, Royce Ring and Victor Zambrano from NYM. Obviously, not all these names will be involved if something does indeed happen, but they are the names I've seen tossed around in different variations of it. Some of the players have even been linked as going to different teams in different variations (for instance, Heilman is going to TEX in some versions, CIN in others). I would think with NYM taking on all that salary (with both Soriano and Casey on the books for next year; not just "rentals" for this year), they would probably try to include Zambrano in the deal to one team or the other, to at least get some of the cash burden off their shoulders a little, though they would likely be dropping Cameron's salary in a potential deal.

I don't see Adrian Gonzalez being involved. There may be some thought that if he's involved, NYM might just as soon take him instead of Casey for 1B and save the payroll a little. The Reds probably wouldn't acquire him in the potential deal because if they were to move Casey, it would finally solve the outfield glut problem, unless they turned around and dealt one anyway, which is possible. Then I could see Gonzalez involved in going to CIN. Truth be told, if Adrian Gonzalez gets dealt in the coming week, I would actually expect it to be to BAL, as the Rangers have shown interest in taking Sidney Ponson from the O's now that the Nevin trade as officially fallen through.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand. Luckily, the Mets seem to be seeking a high average guy, and that's why they are pretty high on getting Case. If it goes down as a three-team deal with these three teams, I could see it working as something along the lines of this:

NYM gets: Alfonso Soriano, Sean Casey
TEX gets: Mike Cameron, Yusmeiro Petit, Victor Zambrano (maybe Royce Ring or Jae Seo also)
CIN gets: John Hudgins or Juan Dominguez + Aaron Heilman

I'm not saying this will happen, just saying, I could see something like this work out if it goes through as a three-team deal. Lots of crazy stuff could happen in the next few days, so we'll have to stay tuned.

Redsfaithful
07-27-2005, 04:24 PM
Aaron Heilman + moving Sean Casey's contract. I'd be awfully impressed.

The Mets are so dumb sometimes.

RBA
07-27-2005, 04:27 PM
Aaron Heilman + moving Sean Casey's contract. I'd be awfully impressed.

The Mets are so dumb sometimes.

Shhhh! Be bery bery quiwet, we're hunting Metropolitans.

OnBaseMachine
07-27-2005, 04:31 PM
I would be more than pleased if the Reds could grab Brian Bannister (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Brian%20Bannister&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&did=milb&pid=446454) in return for Casey. 2.56 era/1.08 whip, 27bb/94 k and 11 homeruns allowed in 109 innings at double-A. Recently promoted to AAA and owns a 3.55 era in two starts there.

Heilman and Gonzalez would be servicable returns too.

REDREAD
07-27-2005, 04:50 PM
I really don't see why the Mets are even considering adding Casey to the deal, especially if they'd have to dump Zambrano to balance the books. I can see them trying to get Soriano, but why Casey (unless the Reds took a bad contract from them).

Of course, I'm not going to complain if it happens.

wheels
07-27-2005, 05:13 PM
:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

larryboy
07-27-2005, 05:36 PM
1B has been a disaster for two years with the Mets. If they do not have to give up Milledge its a good deal for them. They are mostly giving up parts they do not want or can't use because of crowding. Their crowded rotation is getting even more crowded with Trachsel returning. I like the Reds unloading the contract and getting Heilman plus. Its a pretty good deal all around because Texas does not want to pay Soriano next year. The Reds need to collect young arms and hope some workout. Heilman is nice because he's reasonably young but has pitched a few innings so he is not as green. Its nice to get an arm that is reasonably close to its prime rather old or still too young for an immediate impact.

Rex Argos
07-27-2005, 05:52 PM
Wheels:

Is your avatar Debbie Harry?

Benihana
07-27-2005, 06:42 PM
Big Donkey, your proposed deal would be unbelievable for the Reds. :thumbup: If somehow we could also acquire Adrian Gonzalez, it would be a career-making move for DanO

kyred14
07-27-2005, 07:09 PM
That trade is just too good, and makes too much sense for the REDS to do it. Besides, Casey's the mayor! :rolleyes:

wheels
07-27-2005, 07:30 PM
Wheels:

Is your avatar Debbie Harry?

Yes.

captainmorgan07
07-27-2005, 09:38 PM
it's hard to tell whether soriano's going to get traded or not one day i hear he is one day he's not i heard on sportscenter or baseball tonite that the rangers owner is very fond of soriano

RedsManRick
07-27-2005, 09:58 PM
The latest update:

Posted Wednesday, July 27, 9:25 p.m.: The Rangers' Alfonso Soriano, along with Mets prospects Lastings Milledge and Carlos Gomez, were all pulled from the lineup before their respective games on Wednesday evening. That's all the information I have right now, but it could be a sign that something is happening.

flyer85
07-27-2005, 10:01 PM
Soriano is in the Rangers lineup this evening.

Hubba
07-27-2005, 10:04 PM
I really don't see why the Mets are even considering adding Casey to the deal, especially if they'd have to dump Zambrano to balance the books. I can see them trying to get Soriano, but why Casey (unless the Reds took a bad contract from them).

Of course, I'm not going to complain if it happens.I think that you would.:D

The_jbh
07-27-2005, 11:17 PM
I would be more than pleased if the Reds could grab Brian Bannister (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Brian%20Bannister&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&did=milb&pid=446454) in return for Casey. 2.56 era/1.08 whip, 27bb/94 k and 11 homeruns allowed in 109 innings at double-A. Recently promoted to AAA and owns a 3.55 era in two starts there.

Heilman and Gonzalez would be servicable returns too.

shhhhhhh DanO might hear you and start to hold out...

seriously i'll take whatever i can get to rid us of casey, espeically if it includes most of his contract.

buckeyenut
07-28-2005, 07:03 AM

Of course, I'm not going to complain if it happens.

If they want to dump Zambrano, why wouldn't we take him? He isn't great, but he is better than what we are running out there now. Heck, unless I am missing something, I'd take Casey for Zambrano and a C level prospect.

BuckU
07-28-2005, 09:41 AM
This just in.....

Mo Vaughn is coming out of retirement on Aug. 1st putting this whole deal on the back burner.

More information as details come out...

REDREAD
07-28-2005, 09:52 AM
If they want to dump Zambrano, why wouldn't we take him? He isn't great, but he is better than what we are running out there now. Heck, unless I am missing something, I'd take Casey for Zambrano and a C level prospect.

I agree, that doesn't makes sense. Zambrano only makes a little more than 2 million and has a 3.78 ERA. Plus they just gave up one of their best prospects for him last year. Hard to believe the Mets would want to get rid of the guy.
I can see the Rangers wanting him, but the writer of the article made it sound as if Zambrano was a salary dump.

I'd gladly take Zambrano straight up for Casey. Zambrano immediately becomes our best starting pitcher (or 2nd best, depending on your point of view).

Big Donkey
07-28-2005, 04:44 PM
I agree, that doesn't makes sense. Zambrano only makes a little more than 2 million and has a 3.78 ERA. Plus they just gave up one of their best prospects for him last year. Hard to believe the Mets would want to get rid of the guy.
I can see the Rangers wanting him, but the writer of the article made it sound as if Zambrano was a salary dump.

I'd gladly take Zambrano straight up for Casey. Zambrano immediately becomes our best starting pitcher (or 2nd best, depending on your point of view).

I WAS the writer of the article, REDREAD. :D I don't cut and paste, all the news and stuff that I put on here is my own original writing.

I have heard Zambrano's name a lot in these potential trade talks from the Mets, and I was just speculating it could be to at least help remove some of the payroll burden if they were to take on both Soriano and Casey. He does have value, and the Mets remain not THAT high on him. I realize he doesn't make that much, comparatively, but maybe pairing him along with Mike Cameron in a potential deal (in addition to the prospects) will help pare the payroll somewhat. Yes, the Scott Kazmir trade was bad and they know it... but although Zambrano is doing pretty well, if they can say "he helped land Soriano", that would help them save some face from last year's Kazmir debacle, I guess. Just from their viewpoint, not my own opinion.

Big Donkey
07-28-2005, 04:50 PM
While I've moved the thread up, let me add that more is shaking on this deal today. They are so back-and-forth in TEX, really sending mixed signals, but that is what most GMs do before something goes down. I think there's a good chance it goes down and in the three-team fashion, but I'm not guaranteeing anything by any means. Just going by signs I'm picking up.

Roy Tucker
07-28-2005, 04:51 PM
More fat to fire... From Will's Mill at BP...

Thursday, July 28, 2:35 p.m. ET: ESPN 103.3 in Dallas was reporting this morning that Alfonso Soriano had been dealt for Mike Cameron and Lastings Milledge. As yet, there's been no additional confirmation, so I don't think this deal is as close as our friends in Dallas think it is. With that said, it does appear that there's fire behind this smoke. Tom Hicks may have said he doesn't want to trade Soriano, but I think the billionaire would be willing to make a deal he didn't want if it made sense. The Rangers are also stalled on Sidney Ponson. Apparently, Baltimore doesn't want to absorb nearly as much salary as Texas would like them to do.

Puffy
07-28-2005, 04:57 PM
Just going by signs I'm picking up.

Signs, signs, everywhere there's signs
******' up the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign

redsfan30
07-28-2005, 04:57 PM
Do you see anything happening today, BD?

BRM
07-28-2005, 04:59 PM
More fat to fire... From Will's Mill at BP...

Thursday, July 28, 2:35 p.m. ET: ESPN 103.3 in Dallas was reporting this morning that Alfonso Soriano had been dealt for Mike Cameron and Lastings Milledge. As yet, there's been no additional confirmation, so I don't think this deal is as close as our friends in Dallas think it is. With that said, it does appear that there's fire behind this smoke. Tom Hicks may have said he doesn't want to trade Soriano, but I think the billionaire would be willing to make a deal he didn't want if it made sense. The Rangers are also stalled on Sidney Ponson. Apparently, Baltimore doesn't want to absorb nearly as much salary as Texas would like them to do.

I don't see Casey's name anywhere in that paragraph.

Petitt33
07-28-2005, 05:07 PM
Got this from a Mets message board:

Second helping
Jul 28 - According to Newark Star-Ledger, the Rangers have decided to move Alfonso Soriano, and the Mets are working hard to get him. Trade discussions have focused on Mets right-hander Aaron Heilman and Double-A Binghampton right-hander Yusmeiro Petit, but the Mets might prefer to deal right-hander Victor Zambrano rather than Heilman.
Another scenario that surfaced involved a three-way deal involving the Mets, Rangers and Reds that would send both Soriano and Sean Casey to the Mets with a package of prospects going to the other two clubs, Newsday reports. The Mets would assume considerable salary in that trade, not only for this season but 2006 as well. Soriano already earns $7.5 million this year and will get a big raise through arbitration. Casey is currently making $7.8 million and the Reds have picked up his $8.5-million option for next year.
http://mofosports.net/themofo/showthread.php?p=445821#post445821

Matt700wlw
07-28-2005, 05:09 PM
O'Brien has said there is no truth to the rumor

LvJ
07-28-2005, 05:16 PM
I just want to goto sleep and wake up on monday. All of this is giving me headaches. :(

If Casey is with this team Monday, I will cry. Alot.

If Casey is traded, he will cry. Alot.

No one wants me to cry, do they? Who cares if Casey cries? He does it all the time. http://pichold.com/Images/Smilies/mikel.gif

So, DanO - get it done. http://pichold.com/Images/Smilies/madcoolreal.gif

Redmachine2003
07-28-2005, 05:28 PM
O'Brien has said there is no truth to the rumorBut wasn't Fay who asked him about it. I know Fay talked to Marty in the second inning and Fay was saying Dunn and Casey were involed. I don't know where Fay got Dunn in this Trade but it gives DanO an out to say there is no truth to it since Dunn's name was mentioned. Just a thought and a prayer.

REDREAD
07-28-2005, 05:35 PM
O'Brien has said there is no truth to the rumor

It's all status-quo, man...

Altough it's odd how sometimes DanO flat out says "No", but occasionally says he can't discuss trade rumors.

redsrule2500
07-28-2005, 05:37 PM
Not even close to a good deal for the Reds. pitiful.

OnBaseMachine
07-28-2005, 05:45 PM
Not even close to a good deal for the Reds. pitiful.

It's a great deal for the Reds if they can get a bag of sunflower seeds for Casey. He's a bad first baseman.

OldXOhio
07-28-2005, 05:50 PM
It's a great deal for the Reds if they can get a bag of sunflower seeds for Casey. He's a bad first baseman.

What he said...except for the "bad first baseman" part.

He's not bad per se - just not worth the $ he's paid. There's a difference.

LvJ
07-28-2005, 06:23 PM
I agree, he's not a bad player... he just isn't a great player. And $8million should only be dealt to great players.

Marge'sMullet
07-28-2005, 08:48 PM
I bet if this deal goes down, the Reds will eat 1/3 to 1/2 of Casey's 06 $$.

Redmachine2003
07-28-2005, 10:07 PM
Man I really thought the Reds were going to make a trade tonight, just a gut feeling. But I guess I was wrong. Must have been just wishfull thinking so I am off to bed.

flyer85
07-28-2005, 10:10 PM
O'Brien has said there is no truth to the rumorwhat would he say?

I still don't see Casey getting dealt.

Aronchis
07-28-2005, 10:12 PM
O'brien has to do something. He has 5 players for 4 positions and another player in the minors beating the door to come in.

I think Casey is dealable, but does DanO have the brain power and guts to do it?

flyer85
07-28-2005, 10:13 PM
but does DanO have the brain power and guts to do it?don't think DanO has either