PDA

View Full Version : Will you go to watch Junior slug to 550 & 600?

medford
08-02-2005, 12:44 PM
Will you go to see Junior hit his way to the 550 & 600 homer milestones? The reason I ask, is based upon a thread on the other board started by M2. Basically mentioning the possibilities of trading/unloading the likes of Junior, Casey and Milton as they'll all more than likely pass thru waivers.

Certainly the 500 homer mark was something special, fans packed the park, and the countdown to 500 marker in center field was fun to watch as the days (and homers) past by. Assuming Junior can stay healthy, 550 should come sometime next summer, while 600 should come sometime the following year.

If the Reds hold onto him, will there be the same runup in attendance that we saw last year? I know the 600 homer mark will be special (as well as 700 should that ever come into play like we all thought it would). What about 550? I wonder if they have any countdown markers in plan. He's just shy of 525, a nice countdown from 525 to 550, then up to 600 may help draw a couple of folks into GABP.

I liked the way that San Fran did it, putting up everyone else's homer totals, while counting down as Barry passed them by. Junior is in some rare air right now, and assuming health, perhaps a large assumption, should be by passing some of the legends of the game every month or so. It will be interesting to see how the organization handles this opportunity to draw fans into the stadium. Of course if this organization would draw the most fans if it ever put a winning ball club on the field, but that sadly seems to be several years away, if ever.

Gainesville Red
08-02-2005, 12:47 PM
I'd like to go see him when he goes into Coopestown.

KronoRed
08-02-2005, 01:03 PM
600 sure..550? nah I don't like half numbers :D

remdog
08-02-2005, 01:06 PM
I would not necessarily go because a particular HR is coming up but I would go simply to see him play if it's a plausable situation for me.

Rem

redsfan30
08-02-2005, 01:17 PM
Homerun number 550 won't be a big deal. It will be a nice milestone, but it won't be nationally celebrated like 600 will/would.

And yes, if he does approach 600 and is home when he does it....I WILL be there.

medford
08-02-2005, 01:18 PM
Another thought, what would it take for Junior to go into the hall of fame as a Red? Most would agree that he's a lock for the hall. However, if his career ended after this year, he'd probably go in as a mariner. What would it take for him to enter the hall as a Red? Would hitting 600 as a Red get him in as a Red? Certainly winning a world series, or even leading the team into postseason play would help. I don't think Junior has much national identity as a Red right now, however a trip or 2 into the postseason would help that.

KronoRed
08-02-2005, 01:19 PM
Short of him hitting 60 3 years in a row I don't think there is any chance of him not going in as a Mariner.

We'll be lucky to get "He also played for the Reds" on the plaque :lol:

fielder's choice
08-02-2005, 02:00 PM
Another thought, what would it take for Junior to go into the hall of fame as a Red?

Winning a ring in Cincy? :bowrofl:

RDriesen16
08-02-2005, 02:01 PM
NO. never been the type of person to go to a game just so i could say i was there when so and so did this. or to just watch someone chase a mark. i go cause i like watching the team, a player, etc

fielder's choice
08-02-2005, 02:33 PM
I'll try to be there for 600. I went last year when he was sitting on 499, it was pretty awesome seeing thousands of flash bulbs going off on every pitch.

larryboy
08-02-2005, 02:38 PM
I was there when he hit 300 and 400 but missed 500 so I'll definately make 600

redsfan30
08-02-2005, 02:39 PM
I'll try to be there for 600. I went last year when he was sitting on 499, it was pretty awesome seeing thousands of flash bulbs going off on every pitch.
I was there for the first 2 games of the Texas series and it was a special time. Work wouldn't let me go for the Thursday afternoon game.

In the second game, he hit a flyball to center that looked off his bat like it might have a chance to go. I'd never heard it so loud in that park then when he hit that flyout to the track in center. It was truely a good time. The Reds wound up sweeping the series, so all was not lost in the quest for 500.

KearnsyEars
08-02-2005, 03:38 PM
I will be at #600 when the time comes, if he's still a red.....and if its at home...... Absolutely.

I sure hope he is a red then and I expect him to be, and I know he'll get to hit, I just hope its at GABP

I will be there for Dunn's 400, 500, 600 and 700 if DOB and the FO brass gives me the chance. I am dunns biggest fan, I have to be there.

M2
08-02-2005, 03:51 PM
I don't get fans who care more about watching a milestone than seeing the game. I know there's a ton of them out there, but for the life of me I can't understand the thought process. Strikes me the same as ignoring the scenery to watch the odometer.

lollipopcurve
08-02-2005, 04:03 PM
Milestones like 600 HRs are more significant in the history of baseball than just about any regular season game could be, given that so few players reach them. People come to the park prepared to be part of "history in the making." The game becomes an event, and there is a flow to the energy in the ballpark that peaks with, in this case, each of Jr's ABs. Every swing elicits gasps. Then, if he manages to hit it, the place explodes.

It's spectator energy that borders on being participatory, given the adrenalin rush. No surprise to me that people want some of that.

redsfan30
08-02-2005, 04:08 PM
I don't get fans who care more about watching a milestone than seeing the game. I know there's a ton of them out there, but for the life of me I can't understand the thought process. Strikes me the same as ignoring the scenery to watch the odometer.
Some personal accomplishments celebrate the game of baseball. Cal Ripken in 1994 I believe broke the record set by Lou Gerig. That was a personal accomplishment. But at the same time, it sort of took the game back to what it once was.....you had to tar and feather a player to get him out of the lineup. It's not that way anymore, just look at Manny Ramirez.

In 1998, Mark McGuire and Sammy Sosa achieved personal accomplishments. But they really rescued the game of baseball, bringing many fans back from the strike. They renewed interest in the game.

In 2001, Barry Bonds broke McGuire's record. This came just weeks after September 11. People were looking on a milestone to clamp onto just to direct attention away from the horror in New York for a few hours.

Ken Griffey has been through hell in his 5+ years in a Reds uniform. He has fought and clawed to get healthy enough to continue playing the game he loves when he could have taken his millions to Orlando and retired. When he returns to form through hard work and accomplishes a major milestone like that, why not go show your appriciation?

I don't think there's anything at all wrong with going to see a player go for a milestone. Milestones don't happen very often. It's neat to tell your grandchildren that you saw Ken Griffey, Jr.'s 600th homerun. Now sure, you're going to have people that show up for the sole purpose of seeing that, but I'd say for the most part from my experience last year that most of the crowd in attendence was focused on the game as well.

fielder's choice
08-02-2005, 04:11 PM

I dont think just because someone wants to see a milestone, that means they dont care about the game.

gonelong
08-02-2005, 04:19 PM

I don't know anybody that won't take a peak at the odometer when it ready to turn over 100,000 or 200,000 miles.

I can miss the scenary for 1/10 of a mile having seen the other 99,999 9/10s of it.

GL

RosieRed
08-02-2005, 04:22 PM

I don't care so much about watching a milestone, such as when Maddux was in town and could have reached his 3,000th strikeout against the Reds.

But Junior is one of my favorite players, and I'd want to be there just to cheer him on and show my support. It's not every day one of my favorite players hits his 600th home run.

M2
08-02-2005, 04:55 PM
I don't know anybody that won't take a peak at the odometer when it ready to turn over 100,000 or 200,000 miles.

I can miss the scenary for 1/10 of a mile having seen the other 99,999 9/10s of it.

GL

I agree about 100,000, but we're talking about homer 550 in this thread as well and I'm at a loss as to why I'd by a ticket based on #550 anymore than #549 or #551. In fact #549 means a little more because it puts you ahead of Michael Jack Schmidt.

BTW, I'm not saying Redszone fans are the type who care more about milestones than the game. We're atypical baseball nutjobs. It's why we're here. But there's no doubt that a lot of people showed up to watch Jr. poke #500 and then retreated into the woodwork. They do care more about sideshow events than the game.

Anyway, the things that usually control what games I go to are how much money I've got in pocket (living in Boston makes this more of an issue), do I have the time free, who's pitching and who the visiting team is. I wouldn't buy a ticket for an incremental homer milestone. We're not talking about 74 HR in a season or going past Hank Aaron here. IMO, it's the difference between a truly memorable event and a somewhat overhyped one.

NastyBoys1990
08-02-2005, 07:46 PM
I'll be there when he cracks 756 :beerme:

Unassisted
08-02-2005, 09:04 PM
There are many players for Griff to pass on his way to 600. Those are each more significant milestones than 550.

Sammy Sosa 587
Frank Robinson 586
Mark McGwire 583
Harmon Killebrew 573
Rafael Palmeiro 568
Reggie Jackson 563
Mike Schmidt 548
Mickey Mantle 536
Jimmie Foxx 534
Ken Griffey Jr. 524

medford
06-09-2006, 04:04 PM
All right, I'm bumping this back to the top. As I suspected, and most indicated, there is very little (if any) buzz w/ Junior about to get to 550. W/ the way he's been swinging the bat, it could happen on this homestand if he continues to play.

However, onto the other question originally posted, should the Reds put up some counter similar to SF to count down the names that Junior is clicking past on the all time homer list? I guess it goes against the team concept, but it sure was fun to watch the countdown in center field as he approached 500.

Joseph
06-09-2006, 04:27 PM
I don't know how big a milestone 550 is. Once he passes Jackson and moves into the top 10 all time I could see counters marking him nearing the next person on the list.