PDA

View Full Version : Tigers sign Polanco to 4-year extension

CySeymour
08-02-2005, 03:36 PM
Polanco signs extension (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-tigers-polanco&prov=ap&type=lgns)

This is insane. Polanco is a player you sign for maybe two years. He's 29, by the time the deal is near the third year, the Tigers will be begging other teams to take him.

KearnsyEars
08-02-2005, 03:44 PM
I think he's very solid, but has the weirdest shaped head I've ever seen. Anyone ever check out his temples?

M2
08-02-2005, 03:47 PM
Four years for Placido Polanco? Has the world gone mad or just Detroit?

flyer85
08-02-2005, 04:24 PM
Four years for Placido Polanco? Has the world gone mad or just Detroit?after 5 years of Dmitri and Higgy maybe Polanco looks good.

IslandRed
08-02-2005, 04:26 PM
Sounds stupid on the face of it. Maybe less so depending on what the dollars are.

cincyinco
08-02-2005, 04:38 PM
I dont see whats so unreasonable about this contract? Its about 4 million a year for a very versatile player that can hit more than his weight. So its not a terrible contract to move if necessary.

KronoRed
08-02-2005, 05:02 PM
I'll say it here now..

The Tigers will never win a world series in that stadium.

Not that I blame the stadium, but it's going to be about 40 years ;)

captainmorgan07
08-02-2005, 09:38 PM
i don't kno if i'd sign him to a four year deal but they need to extend him he can play every position in the infield if he has to and is a very versatile guy at the plate

Matt700wlw
08-02-2005, 09:41 PM
They extended his contract???? DURING the season??????!?!?!??!

4256 Hits
08-02-2005, 10:49 PM
I'll say it here now..

The very same could be said about the Reds in GAB. :cry: :cry:

cincinnati chili
08-02-2005, 11:22 PM
I dont see whats so unreasonable about this contract? Its about 4 million a year for a very versatile player that can hit more than his weight. So its not a terrible contract to move if necessary.

Every year, there are players available on the waiver wire for the league minimum who can give you offensively and defensively just a notch below Polanco.

WHERE'S PRINCETON??? hELLO, pRINCETON.

Remember the thread where I said Dombrowski had lost it... you said the great ones never lose it?

Well...

He's lost it.

:)

KronoRed
08-03-2005, 01:11 AM
The very same could be said about the Reds in GAB. :cry: :cry:

Nah, we have the O, they have......2 pitchers? ;)

REDREAD
08-03-2005, 11:12 AM
They extended his contract???? DURING the season??????!?!?!??!

I thought that wasn't allowed :laugh:

princeton
08-04-2005, 02:22 PM
Every year, there are players available on the waiver wire for the league minimum who can give you offensively and defensively just a notch below Polanco.

Remember the thread where I said Dombrowski had lost it... you said the great ones never lose it?

Well...

He's lost it.

DanO dreams of the Carlos Guillen and Kyle Farnsworth acquisitions

I like Polanco, BTW. That 4th year is stiff, and the money would have been better spent on Farnsworth. But the market is shifting up and Dombrowski's been ahead of that curve often

a much better criticism of Dombrowski is the rushing of Verlander and the fact that the return on Farnsworth sounds eerily similar to the Reds' nonreturn on Reitsma. But Farnsworth was walking (unlike Reitsma) plus given DD's track record, I won't be surprised to learn that he got a lot more than a Bubba Bong

cincyinco
08-04-2005, 04:45 PM

Well...

He's lost it.

I challenge you to name those players. I think Polanco is a VERY valuable commodity.

KearnsyEars
08-04-2005, 04:54 PM
Great now lets do the same for Dunner

KearnsyEars
08-04-2005, 04:55 PM
I'll say it here now..

I think all the new ball parks are there until the end of our lifetimes, I mean they'll be there as long as there is baseball....right?

GABP has got to be the final home of the reds.

princeton
06-26-2006, 08:01 AM

Well...

He's lost it.

51-25

WHERE'S CHILI??? hELLO, cHILI

51-25

Jpup
06-26-2006, 08:22 AM
51-25

51-25

These guys actually seem to be for real to me. I hope they can hold off the pale hose. I hate those guys. I don't see it happenning though.

Yachtzee
06-26-2006, 08:37 AM
I think all the new ball parks are there until the end of our lifetimes, I mean they'll be there as long as there is baseball....right?

GABP has got to be the final home of the reds.

Well, until someone invents an all luxury box ballpark and finds a way to fill it.

Jpup
06-26-2006, 08:50 AM
Well, until someone invents an all luxury box ballpark and finds a way to fill it.

what's the deal for? 30 years, I imagine we will see a new park after that. I hope I'm still around.:)

cincinnati chili
06-26-2006, 08:51 AM
51-25

51-25

I admit it. I'm shocked. Shocked by the performance of the Reds too.

KronoRed
06-26-2006, 04:19 PM
Still stand by my prediction they will never win a series in that stadium :D

toledodan
06-26-2006, 05:17 PM
its killing me to see the tigers doing so well. the only saving grace i've had up here was how bad they were while the reds doing poor as well. even though the reds lead the WC i have to hear how bad the NLC is after detroit thumped the cards, cubs , brewers and reds. as for the polonco signing its not a bad move for them. they gave todd jones a 2 year 10 million dollar contract during the offseason. they have a history of overpaying like pudge's and higgy's contract. that was the only way you could get players up there. they almost got povano and beckket as well. i just hope somehow they can fall flat on their face and not make the playoffs. right now that doesn't look possible.

TC81190
06-26-2006, 07:15 PM
I challenge you to name those players. I think Polanco is a VERY valuable commodity.

How? He's OBPing 323 and SLG'n 366. He has no pop, at all. He has a stunning OPS of 689, and a lifetime 756 OPS (which isn't bad for a MIF). Not worth 4 mil. For 4 years, to boot.

cincinnati chili
06-27-2006, 01:35 AM
How? He's OBPing 323 and SLG'n 366. He has no pop, at all. He has a stunning OPS of 689, and a lifetime 756 OPS (which isn't bad for a MIF). Not worth 4 mil. For 4 years, to boot.

4.6 to be precise. $18.4 million in guaranteed money.

I don't think Dombrowski's going to lose any sleep over it (or that silly contract to Vina a few years back.... or rushing Bonderman to the majors), since everything else he's done is working.

I thought Leyland would be a disaster. Saw his act that year in Colorado.

I'm very surprised by the whole thing.

princeton
10-14-2006, 11:11 PM
Still stand by my prediction they will never win a series in that stadium :D

They couldn't hit an elephant from that distance

:beerme: to Placido Polanco and Dave Dombrowski. Dombrowski is surely the best team-builder of an era, and a HoFer

M2
10-16-2006, 12:39 PM
Dombrowski is surely the best team-builder of an era, and a HoFer

Hardly. All the credit in the world to Dombrowski for what the Tigers have done this year, but he's got exactly two winning seasons on his resume at the moment. Maybe if he achieves some lasting success we can start considering him an elite team builder, but as of the moment he's a guy who's twice caught lightning in a bottle.

flyer85
10-16-2006, 12:44 PM
Hardly. All the credit in the world to Dombrowski for what the Tigers have done this year, but he's got exactly two winning seasons on his resume at the moment. Maybe if he achieves some lasting success we can start considering him an elite team builder, but as of the moment he's a guy who's twice caught lightning in a bottle.he did a nice job of assembling a team in an organization that had zero talent at the major and minor league level when he showed up. He is not as good as Beane but the amount of production he got for nothing(discarded players) and almost nothing(the trades) is quite amazing.

princeton
10-16-2006, 12:57 PM
Maybe if he achieves some lasting success we can start considering him an elite team builder.

winning or laying foundation to three championships in 10 years is more than small markets should ever dream of.

continued competitiveness is hohum exec-speak. Billy Beane can receive congratulations from fatcats as he makes the Corporate Hall of Fame. But for people that actually care about baseball as a game, Dombrowski has set the gold standard

M2
10-16-2006, 01:08 PM
winning or laying foundation to three championships in 10 years is more than small markets should ever dream of.

continued competitiveness is hohum exec-speak. Billy Beane can receive congratulations from fatcats as he makes the Corporate Hall of Fame. But for people that actually care about baseball as a game, Dombrowski has set the gold standard

IMO, you dream too small.

And I don't think he really deserves that much credit for the 2003 Marlins. Dombrowski's good at collecting young talent, but until this season he'd never shown much acumen for blending it with veterans. Larry Beinfest turned over half that team in 2002 and 2003. In fact, I'd say Dombrowski learned a valuable lesson from Beinfest - Note to self: sign Pudge Rodriguez.

princeton
10-16-2006, 01:30 PM
yup, Dave Dombrowski's three small market titles in 10 years are nothing but mere coincidence.

M2
10-16-2006, 01:41 PM
yup, Dave Dombrowski's three small market titles in 10 years are nothing but mere coincidence.

One, but you seem to want to give him undue post- and pre-title credit.

Could be two in another week or so. I think he's good, but -- since I apparently don't care about baseball as a game -- I'm hardly wowed by the eight losing seasons he's spent in between his two flourishes.

Though I will now make sure to give Murray Cook, John Claiborne and Tal Smith full credit for their heretofore unrecognized World Series victories.

princeton
10-16-2006, 02:09 PM
absolutely, we should always belittle a guy for being an integral part of many great and terribly unlikely successes. After all, it's better to be in a constant state of never understanding where success comes from but thinking that we really do.

It's the Redszone way.

M2
10-16-2006, 02:16 PM
absolutely, we should always belittle a guy for being an integral part of many great and terribly unlikely successes. After all, it's better to be in a constant state of never understanding where success comes from but thinking that we really do.

It's the Redszone way.

Yeah, that's it. Giving credit to Larry Beinfest for winning with the team that he'd been in control of for two seasons now THAT would be wrong-headed.

BTW, if you've been reading what I've been posting, I'm saying nice things about Dombrowski. I'm just not giving him a cyberservicing. Somehow that's now tantamount to belittling him. IMO, insistences like that, in certain circles, have become the Redszone way.

As an aside here, it's kind of freaky that Dombrowski's wound up in the two most incredibly large small markets in baseball.

princeton
10-16-2006, 02:41 PM
Yeah, that's it. Giving credit to Larry Beinfest for winning with the team that he'd been in control of for two seasons now THAT would be wrong-headed.

I'm sure that Dombrowski never even gave a thought to adding vets once the foundation was ready. That would have been much too rational.

From where I'm sitting, Beinfest has been trying to copy Dombrowski's 2nd rebuild.

M2
10-16-2006, 03:00 PM
I'm sure that Dombrowski never even gave a thought to adding vets once the foundation was ready. That would have been much too rational.

From where I'm sitting, Beinfest has been trying to copy Dombrowski's 2nd rebuild.

I'm sure he would have. How well he'd have done it is an altogether different matter. Would he have punted Ryan Dempster or moved Nate Robertson to land Mark Redman? Would he have parted with Preston Wilson and Charles Johnson to free up the cash he needed for Pudge and the ability to keep his IF intact? As it turned out, the Josh Beckett window was only a few months wide. Would Dombrowski have dared to make his move that year with A.J. Burnett on the shelf and Brad Penny coming off an injury?

Beinfest's the guy who made the critical and hard decisions.

BTW, Beinfest put together two solid teams in the wake of his WS win and managed to start off 24 games better than Dombrowski on his "copy" job this season. From where I'm sitting Dave's been out-Dombrowskied.

princeton
10-16-2006, 04:09 PM
I'm sure he would have. How well he'd have done it is an altogether different matter.

Hall of Famers like Dombrowski are good bets to succeed. Just ask Chili ;)

M2
10-16-2006, 04:51 PM
Hall of Famers like Dombrowski are good bets to succeed. Just ask Chili ;)

Except for the 12 out of 14 years when they've got a team with a losing record.

princeton
10-16-2006, 05:04 PM
Except for the 12 out of 14 years when they've got a team with a losing record.

three pennants, 2-3 WS titles is an exceptional tradeoff. that's a record that I'd love to see from the team that I like. I'm not the owner, I don't have to worry about a fan base. I'm just a fan that loves championships, and I'll trade mediocrity for abject failure if it also means championships. What's the difference between second place and last?

M2
10-16-2006, 05:45 PM
three pennants, 2-3 WS titles is an exceptional tradeoff. that's a record that I'd love to see from the team that I like. I'm not the owner, I don't have to worry about a fan base. I'm just a fan that loves championships, and I'll trade mediocrity for abject failure if it also means championships. What's the difference between second place and last?

Again, you count funny. Two pennants and 1-2 WS titles. And if you want to add that 2003 season then I say you need to stop handing credit for the 1982 Cardinals to Whitey Herzog.

Anyway, if Dombrowski keeps up his current pattern, he'll be winning again 2015. I'm guessing the vast majority of Tigers fans aren't willing to go that long until their next shot at glory.

BTW, if the Mets or Cardinals win the World Series this year, does Dombrowski still get into the HOF and, if so, will he have to wait for Omar Minaya or Walt Jocketty to get there first?

princeton
10-17-2006, 07:50 AM
if Dombrowski keeps up his current pattern, he'll be winning again 2015.

if Dombrowski keeps up his current pattern, in 2015 he'll have won his sixth pennant in his fourth small market

but Beane will have a couple of books written about his zero pennants

M2
10-17-2006, 10:35 AM
if Dombrowski keeps up his current pattern, in 2015 he'll have won his sixth pennant in his fourth small market

but Beane will have a couple of books written about his zero pennants

Florida didn't spend like a small market the year he won it there. It had the 7th highest payroll in MLB that season. Of course Miami isn't a small market. It's a huge market, sixth largest metropolitan area in the U.S.

Detroit's the 10th largest metropolitan area in the U.S. BTW, the folks in Oakland doth protest too much about their market size, the Bay Area ranks 11th overall and San Jose, which isn't far away, ranks 30th (they've also got the potential to leverage the Sacramento media market - 26th overall, roughly the same size as Cincinnati or Kansas City).

The smallest market in the 2006 playoffs, if we're talking about the actual size of the market, was St. Louis.

So now on top of awarding phantom championships, you're now spinning historical and market-size fiction.

Though at least you recognize that Dombrowski's one shot at glory act is the sort of thing that isn't going to keep him in one spot for very long. My guess is he'll try to alter that pattern with the Tigers. Justin Verlander and Andrew Miller might just be able to deliver it for him, those were two great draft picks.

westofyou
10-17-2006, 10:44 AM
(they've also got the potential to leverage the Sacramento media market - 26th overall, roughly the same size as Cincinnati or Kansas City).
Juts a note the A's base extends east and south, so they are leveraging the Milpitis/Stockton corridor, they also extend south on the east side of the Bay, on the west side it's Giants country, with both camps merging south of Moffet Field where the bay ends.

The A's do a lot of their marketing in that area, they rarely touch Marin or the Penisula.

The real test will come whe Bonds and Company go to the mattresses and do the rebuild. If the A's continue their success (and yes Princeton it's a success.;)) then they might prove to be the big market draw that comes with being the only boys in town.

That said the A's compared to the Giants are the red headed step child in the Bay Area, and most likely always will be, even if they win.

Now if they get a nice park that doesn't get as cold as the arctic on a July night and looks like Joe Robbie Stadium on a landing pad in the middle of an urban wasteland then they might be able to change that.

princeton
10-17-2006, 11:10 AM
If the A's continue their success (and yes Princeton it's a success.;)) .

I agree that it's a success and that even beyond what he's done for a team, he's done a lot for small market baseball and therefore for baseball in general. I admire Beane. I also admire Beinfest.

but if Det wins this season, then Dombrowski is the most successful builder of WS champs in this era unless the Yankees economic advantages are your thing. And he did it in a couple of places under a couple of different economies. Gillick comes close, but DD is the man. Too bad he's not a Red.