PDA

View Full Version : FSN Reporter Hughes' relationship with Dodger Derek Lowe under investigation

savafan
08-03-2005, 11:40 PM
http://www.ronfineman.com/hughes.jpg

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/dodgers/la-sp-hughes3aug03,1,4340660.story?ctrack=1&cset=true

FSN officials are looking into possible conflict of interest involving Hughes.

By Larry Stewart, Times Staff Writer

Television reporter Carolyn Hughes, co-host of the Dodger pregame and postgame shows on FSN West 2, has been off the air for about two weeks as FSN executives investigate her relationship with Dodger Derek Lowe.

Trinka Lowe, the Dodger pitcher's wife of seven years, alleged an improper relationship between her husband and Hughes in phone messages left for FSN executives. Steve Simpson, general manager of FSN West, told The Times on July 25 of the investigation but said Hughes would return to her role as an anchor on the regional cable network's "Southern California Sports Report."

Hughes has not appeared on the network in any capacity since the investigation began. Simpson and FSN executives have since declined to comment. Trinka Lowe, meanwhile, in interviews on a locally based website and Tom Leykis' nationally syndicated radio show, has detailed what she says is a romantic relationship between her husband and Hughes.

Ron Fineman, on his website "On the Record," posted the first interview with Trinka Lowe on Friday, including pictures of Lowe and Hughes hugging.

Trinka Lowe told Leykis on Monday that she had hired a private investigator and had learned that her husband and Hughes had talked "four to five times a day" on their cellphones since at least April.

Trinka Lowe told Leykis she was speaking out in an effort to save her marriage, adding that her husband and Hughes had rented a house in Manhattan Beach. Lowe said her husband had asked for a divorce and she had moved back to their home in Fort Myers, Fla. The Lowes have three children.

Efforts to reach Trinka Lowe on Tuesday were unsuccessful.

Besides her role on Dodger broadcasts and "Southern California Sports Report," Hughes has been host of the nationally televised "FSN Across America."

Hughes' husband, Tommy Saboni, the manager of the Palm restaurant in West Hollywood, told The Times that he and Hughes were in the process of getting a divorce and had been separated since March.

Efforts to reach Hughes were unsuccessful, and her agent, Ken Lindler, declined to comment.

FSN spokesman Lou D'Ermilio on Tuesday said, "As soon as we were made aware by Mrs. Lowe that a potential problem existed, we removed Carolyn from covering the Dodgers. At present, we're investigating to determine if a conflict of interest did exist. Beyond that, we can't comment on personnel issues."

The Dodgers, through spokesman John Olguin, also declined to comment.

KronoRed
08-03-2005, 11:45 PM
Hmm..

Sad story on a lot of levels :

Tommyjohn25
08-03-2005, 11:45 PM
Ridiculous, call me old fashioned, but I'm of the school that says if you marry someone, be loyal. There is nothing worse than being betrayed, and there is nothing more difficult to gain back than trust.

Gainesville Red
08-03-2005, 11:50 PM
Man, what a mess that's gonna be. Now you're all in big, big trouble.

savafan
08-03-2005, 11:51 PM
Carolyn Hughes probably just killed her career

It's not a good precedent for any female sports reporter. You're right, she'll probably be blacklisted.

http://thetrack.bostonherald.com/images/more_track/lowedg08032005.jpg Derek and Trinka Lowe

http://thetrack.bostonherald.com/moreTrack/view.bg?articleid=96376&format=&page=1

By Gayle Fee and Laura Raposa
Wednesday, August 3, 2005 - Updated: 01:33 PM EST

Derek Lowe, the ex-Red Sox hurler who was the hero of last year's ALCS and the World Series, has abandoned his heartbroken wife and kids and moved in with a TV reporter who covers his new team, the Los Angeles Dodgers.

That's according to Trinka Lowe, Derek's wife of seven years and the mother of their three kids, who said her husband has left her for Fox Sports Net's Carolyn Hughes.

``This is definitely the worst time of my life,'' Trinka told the Track. ``I don't even know how to describe it. I still love him. He's still the father of our children. But I don't want this to be glamorized like some other relationships that didn't start out so well. I don't want this to be portrayed as `They were there for each other when his marriage fell apart.' That's not true. The marriage fell apart because of this other person.''

Trinka said she made FSN aware of the relationship and a representative promised to investigate. A spokesman for the network said yesterday that Hughes, who hosts the FSN pregame show, ``Dodgers Dugout,'' has been taken off the beat pending the outcome of that inquiry.

``As soon as we were made aware by Mrs. Lowe that a potential problem existed we removed Carolyn from covering the Dodgers,'' Lou D'Ermilio told us. ``At present we're investigating to determine whether a conflict of interest did exist and beyond that we can't comment on a personnel issue.''

Hughes did not return our calls. For that matter, neither did Lowe's agent, Scott Boras. And Dodgers spokesman John Olguin declined to comment on the mound man's marital mess.

``A player's home life is personal,'' he said, ``and as such the Dodgers will not comment.''

But Trinka, who still lives in Fort Myers, Fla., said she knew something was wrong with her marriage as soon as she returned to the Beverly Hills home she and Derek bought after he was signed by the Dodgers.

``I went out to L.A. when the kids finished school, just like I used to do every year when we were in Boston,'' Trinka said. ``But when I got there I felt like something was a little odd. Of course, I hadn't seen him in a while and it usually takes him a few days to adjust to me and the kids.

``Anyway, he left on a road trip and he called me from the road and said, `I'm not happy and I can't do this anymore.' It was right out of the blue. I said `Whatever the problems are let's work it out. I will do anything, let's go to counseling, we have these kids.' And he said, `I don't want to work it out. I'm through.' ''

Trinka, who was with Derek for 11 years, said her hubby's reluctance to try to repair the relationship made her think that ``there was someone else involved.''

``He told me he wanted me gone when he got back from the next road trip,'' she said.

Trinka said she told her husband that she was going to wait four days to leave because she had invited friends from Boston and her brother to visit.

``So when he got back from the trip he went and moved in with her,'' she said.

Trinka said she knows this because when Derek came over to see the kids, he was driving Hughes' car, and when he left, Trinka had him followed.

``He went to her house and spent the night there,'' she said. ``He's now living there.''

Trinka said she went to Hughes' Manhattan Beach apartment and confronted her but the sports reporter denied that there was anything improper going on. She insisted that she and Lowe were ``just friends,'' Trinka said.

``They deny the relationship. She told me Derek sleeps on her couch and that she does this for all her friends.''

But Trinka did some snooping and found Hughes' number in Derek's cell phone under the name ``Jeff.'' She said she also knows that her hubby chartered a private jet to take him and his galpal to the All-Star Game in Detroit. And if she needed any more proof, incriminating pictures of the pair appeared on an L.A.-based media critic's Web site earlier this week, pictures that Trinka insists she knows nothing about.

Ron Fineman, who broke the news of the Lowes' marital mess, declined to say where he got the photos. Derek Lowe is said to be livid about them.

Hughes is currently in the process of divorcing her husband, restaurant manager Tommy Samboni. Their marital problems began, Trinka said, when Hughes informed her hubby that she met someone in spring training and that she ``no longer trusted herself on the road.''

Trinka has taken the couple's three children – Phillip, 16, her son by a previous relationship who Lowe adopted, Taylor, 5, and Tanner, 1 – and moved back to Florida. She said Lowe has rented a house two blocks from Hughes' place and that he informed her that he will be spending the off-season in California.

``I guess he won't be seeing too much of his children in Fort Myers,'' she said. ``And I expect to be served with divorce papers in the next couple of weeks. I hope that doesn't happen, but I've tried to prepare myself.''

Trinka said she knows her husband was unhappy and under a lot of stress to prove himself after the Red Sox let him go and the Dodgers signed him.

``It was a huge letdown for him. He didn't want to leave Boston. He loved it, but I don't think there's any acceptable reason for this happening.''

She said she knows that ``lying and cheating are relatively prevalent'' in baseball but she believes Derek might not have left her if they were still in the Hub.

``The Red Sox are more family-oriented,'' she said, ``they have more family values.''

Nonetheless, Trinka said she is speaking out because she doesn't want Derek's relationship ``glamorized'' like similar situations have been.

(Lowe's former teammate Johnny Damon and his current wife, Michelle, have said they met after Damon's marriage to first wife, Angie, went on the rocks. Angie begs to differ.)

``I don't want this portrayed as some sweet romance between the baseball player and the sports reporter, that his marriage broke up and he fell into her arms,'' Trinka said. ``The truth is that he chose to do that while he was still married.''

File Under: How Lowe Can You Go?

BuckU
08-04-2005, 09:38 AM
What if Lowe signed with the Reds and it was Jim Day he was dating?

Caseyfan21
08-04-2005, 09:42 AM
That's pretty Lowe. But seriously, why do celebrities and athletes do this? It seems Derek Lowe can't be too intelligent to try and hook up and cheat on his wife with somebody so close to the team. The even sadder part is this broadcaster will likely lose her job and absolutely nothing will heppen to Derek Lowe. Sad situation and you have to feel especially bad for the children involved. These boys will grow up with a crappy example of how to be a father.

Chip R
08-04-2005, 09:43 AM
Conflict of interest? If neither one was married this wouldn't be a big deal. Didn't Josh Beckett have a relationship with LeAnn Tweeden a couple of years ago?

creek14
08-04-2005, 09:47 AM
why do celebrities and athletes do this?
Oh believe me, celebrities and athletes aren't the only ones who do this. They just don't splash the common folk's dirty laundry all over the front page.

Heath
08-04-2005, 09:56 AM
That's pretty Lowe. But seriously, why do celebrities and athletes do this? It seems Derek Lowe can't be too intelligent to try and hook up and cheat on his wife with somebody so close to the team. The even sadder part is this broadcaster will likely lose her job and absolutely nothing will heppen to Derek Lowe. Sad situation and you have to feel especially bad for the children involved. These boys will grow up with a crappy example of how to be a father.

Mr. Lowe's having issues finding homeplate this year - but seems pretty easy to get to third base with some TV lady.

It is sad - baseball wives have to have the patience of Job coupled with wearing an armour. I wouldn't want to wish that on anyone.

At least Carolyn Hughes hasn't went Tawny Kitaen .... yet.

Ms. Hughes's day as a credible source of information is *poof* gone.

Just another weathergirl trying to be "one of the boys".

BTW - before I get hate mail, there are many women sports journalists out their who do their jobs in professional manner. Carolyn Hughes is NOT one of them.

creek14
08-04-2005, 10:01 AM
Mr. Lowe's having issues finding homeplate this year - but seems pretty easy to get to third base with some TV lady.

It is sad - baseball wives have to have the patience of Job coupled with wearing an armour. I wouldn't want to wish that on anyone.

At least Carolyn Hughes hasn't went Tawny Kitaen .... yet.

Ms. Hughes's day as a credible source of information is *poof* gone.

Just another weathergirl trying to be "one of the boys".

BTW - before I get hate mail, there are many women sports journalists out their who do their jobs in professional manner. Carolyn Hughes is NOT one of them.
So are you saying big bad evil Carolyn took advantage of poor little Derek?

Oh and I agree with the post OSU is going to make right after this one.

OSURedLeg
08-04-2005, 10:02 AM
Lowe is clearly a shallow individual. But, what mother would throw all of this garbage from her family's private life into the public??? This seems to be a matter of her being too proud to be left & forcing the issue with making sure the public sympathizes with her side. Personally, I feel terrible for her children and it must be very tough for her. BUT, she's not acting as a good mother by making this a public mess, she's acting as a p*ssed off ex-wife. She has every right to be angry, but her priorities should be protecting her children from this divorce, NOT making sure strangers understand the whole story behind her husband leaving for a reporter. I'm disgusted with both of them.

Chip R
08-04-2005, 10:09 AM
I wonder if a male announcer had a relationship with a female whose games/matches he covered on a regular basis if he would be disciplined and looked upon as negatively as Hughes is? Somehow I think not.

Strikes Out Looking
08-04-2005, 10:10 AM
Ok, this may be shallow of me, but it must be rough to win the world series, sign a big contract and then have two hot women fighting over you.

Blimpie
08-04-2005, 10:14 AM
Sounds like Derek and "Jeff" actually deserve each other. FWIW, I am kinda partial to the jilted wife... :luvu:

Joseph
08-04-2005, 10:22 AM
People can be horrible.

You never see the hot young single woman left for a woman with 3 kids, why is that?

oneupper
08-04-2005, 10:35 AM
As much as the whole thing is distasteful.

What is the "conflict of interest" thing?

Is this reporter negotiating contracts with Derek Lowe? Are they worried she may not be "objective" in her reporting of the dodgers?

Since when are sports reporters "objective"?

What's the investigation for? To find out what has already been printed? Or do they want more intimate details? Like why she is a homebreaker?

Just move her to hockey and stop making a bid deal about this.
Half of the marriages in this country end in divorce. Affairs in the workplace are as common as they come. Welcome to America.

Just wish this had broken before we had to face Lowe in L.A., maybe we could have gotten something going against a "distraught" Derek.

CySeymour
08-04-2005, 10:48 AM
People can be horrible.

You never see the hot young single woman left for a woman with 3 kids, why is that?

Because people always think the grass is always greener on the other side. To be fair to Lowe, we have only heard his wife's side of the story. But still, it does seem like he is abandoning his kids. If it was a case of her being at home in Florida and he had too much time on his hands, then really, he should have done ANYTHING to keep away from the eye candy. The reporter is just as guilty. Even if he gave her the sob story of being un-happy and all, he was still married and had 3 kids, stay away from him.

Chip R
08-04-2005, 10:57 AM
As much as the whole thing is distasteful.

What is the "conflict of interest" thing?

Is this reporter negotiating contracts with Derek Lowe? Are they worried she may not be "objective" in her reporting of the dodgers?

Since when are sports reporters "objective"?

What's the investigation for? To find out what has already been printed? Or do they want more intimate details? Like why she is a homebreaker?

Just move her to hockey and stop making a bid deal about this.
Half of the marriages in this country end in divorce. Affairs in the workplace are as common as they come. Welcome to America.

Excellent post. I'm sure they are ostensibly believing that she won't be objective in her reporting. It's ridiculous.

I wonder if Fox felt there was a conflict of interest when they owned the Dodgers and had cable contracts for many teams?

savafan
08-04-2005, 10:57 AM
I hear that Lowe was notorious for doing similar things in Boston as well. There apparently is a phrase about Derek that goes something like, "20 and below for D-Lowe".

LvJ
08-04-2005, 11:03 AM
What if Lowe signed with the Reds and it was Jim Day he was dating? :bowrofl: :runaway:

Heath
08-04-2005, 11:12 AM
Oh believe me, celebrities and athletes aren't the only ones who do this. They just don't splash the common folk's dirty laundry all over the front page.

creek, i agree with the above - Sadly, this happens more often than not.

As far as your quote that she took advantage of him - I'm chalking it up to the situation when men think with the wrong "head". I'm sure when proceedings go through, Mr. Lowe will be asking to renegotiate his contract because his monthly alimony payments will be more than I make in a year. You can get to a man through food, but don't grab his wallet.

Just remember what Erma Bombeck said - The grass is greener....over the septic tank :D :thumbup:

savafan
08-04-2005, 11:41 AM
Somewhat related, but not really...wouldn't you have loved to have been a fly on the wall when Bronson Arroyo tried explaining this picture to his wife?

http://www.dudemannews.com//images/rants/BA.jpg

"Uh, honey...what was I doing in the girl's dorm room? You see, she's a sports trainer who was helping me with some aches in my shoulder and...what? Why was she sitting on my lap? Um..."

Blimpie
08-04-2005, 11:45 AM
Somewhat related, but not really...wouldn't you have loved to have been a fly on the wall when Bronson Arroyo tried explaining this picture to his wife?...

"Uh, honey...what was I doing in the girl's dorm room? You see, she's a sports trainer who was helping me with some aches in my shoulder and...what? Why was she sitting on my lap? Um..."Lowe's wife said that the Red Sox were far more "family oriented" than were the Dodgers...so, obviously, this nice young woman is Bronson's niece. ;)

savafan
08-04-2005, 11:49 AM
Lowe's wife said that the Red Sox were far more "family oriented" than were the Dodgers...so, obviously, this nice young woman is Bronson's niece. ;)

Maybe Bronson was the wing man this day?

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2004/10/27/no_raindrops_on_arroyo/

Derek Lowe, who has become Arroyo's closest friend on the team, is the one who vents and allows Arroyo to vent in return.

macro
08-04-2005, 12:16 PM
Oh and I agree with the post OSU is going to make right after this one.

Good one, creek! I'm embarassed to confess that you got me, just for a millisecond, though.

:lol:

KronoRed
08-04-2005, 01:34 PM
I kind of don't blame her for making it public, she wants to drag him into the mud and hurt him, mean? vengeful? yep, but he's gonna get out of the marriage like he wants so why should he come out all squeaky clean?

REDREAD
08-04-2005, 02:15 PM
Somewhat related, but not really...wouldn't you have loved to have been a fly on the wall when Bronson Arroyo tried explaining this picture to his wife?
..."

How about "Hollywood wanted me to check out this young lady for the role of Daisy Duke, and she was just giving me a nice friendly southern hug?"

UKFlounder
08-04-2005, 02:24 PM
I wonder if a male announcer had a relationship with a female whose games/matches he covered on a regular basis if he would be disciplined and looked upon as negatively as Hughes is? Somehow I think not.

Perhaps I'm naive or just wrong, but I think that would be a bigger story than this.

A baseball player cheating on his wife is, if not common, certainly not unheard of, and almost an accepted part of the culture, but I don't think it has gotten to that point with female athletes & the culture of sex yet.

Of course, the fact that this was a reporter makes it a different story, but I do believe if a male announcer was dating a WNBA player, for instance, that he would be criticized for it at least this much.

M2
08-04-2005, 02:48 PM
Lowe's never been the most stable guy around. Perhaps his wife forgot about that little domestic problem they had back in the '90s. I don't know about sleeping around, but Lowe was notorious for hitting the Boston nightlife.

What oneupper said about it being ridiculous that FSN pulled Hughes from the airwaves. Maybe the truth is that she's negotiating for a raise now that she's shown an ability to make news. That would be Fox family values.

And I'm with creek and OSURedLeg, there's absolutely no reason why any of us should know about this. Dragging your family into the mud doesn't strike me as a respectable stance anymore than abandoning your family for your bimbo du jour.

RFS62
08-04-2005, 02:50 PM
Dragging your family into the mud doesn't strike me as a respectable stance anymore than abandoning your family for your bimbo du jour.

Yeah, but it worked for Cindy Garvey, though. Same market, same family values.

Look for Trinka on FOX's morning show, coming soon in LA.

Team Clark
08-04-2005, 02:57 PM

Profound statement. That's the Glass House story in a nutshell. Excellent point Creek.

Chip R
08-04-2005, 02:58 PM
Perhaps I'm naive or just wrong, but I think that would be a bigger story than this.

Of course, the fact that this was a reporter makes it a different story, but I do believe if a male announcer was dating a WNBA player, for instance, that he would be criticized for it at least this much.

I don't think so. Let's say some guy who does tennis for a network started dating Maria Sharapova? You think he'd be punished for that? He'd be the envy of his fellow employees not to mention the executives. It'd be easier to get her to do interviews, etc.

Basically in this world it's more acceptable for a man to fool around than it is for a woman. He's considered a stud, she's considered a ****.

UKFlounder
08-04-2005, 04:30 PM
Basically in this world it's more acceptable for a man to fool around than it is for a woman. He's considered a stud, she's considered a ****.

Oh, I agree with that completely, but I just feel the reporter/athlete angle would cause some issues & controversy.

Chip R
08-04-2005, 04:56 PM
Oh, I agree with that completely, but I just feel the reporter/athlete angle would cause some issues & controversy.Possibly. But reporters and athletes have relationships with each other all the time and no one is fired over it. Granted, the vast majority are platonic but they are still close relationships nonetheless. A local example would be Lance McAllister's friendship with Sean Casey. He named his son after Sean, Sean has done a lot of charity work for leukemia and I would think it's safe to say they are very friendly. But no one thinks that Lance could have a conflict of interest because of his friendship. Even if they think he does, he certainly wouldn't be taken off the air because of it. Fox supposedly is worried that Hughes' relationship with Lowe could prevent her from being objective about Lowe. I don't know what she exactly does but it just sounds like she's a studio host and a talking head. If that's the case, why isn't every media company telling their employees that they can't be friends with the people they cover? It works the other way too. Why should reporters who don't care for Barry Bonds be expected to write objectively about him? I would think Ms. Hughes has grounds for a lawsuit if she's fired.

UKFlounder
08-04-2005, 05:59 PM
You make good points, that, frankly I'm not sure I can argue against logically, but I just have a gut feeling that the reporter/announcer would not get off as easily as you do.

Good stuff.

Tony Cloninger
08-04-2005, 06:19 PM
WHY.....do athletes even bother to marry?

Why not just have fun...be single....and deal with stuff like that after your career is over.

George Brett....single during his playing days....then got married after retiring. To a 24-25 year old ...no less.

You got all the money and perks....and women being thrown your way... it's just no way to really be able to try and be a family man or married man.

MartyFan
08-04-2005, 06:28 PM
Conflict of interest? If neither one was married this wouldn't be a big deal. Didn't Josh Beckett have a relationship with LeAnn Tweeden a couple of years ago?

Conflict of interest...for sure...the broadcasters who work on the team shows, pregame and postgame are selected by the team and viewed as team reps...so many companies still frown on coworkers being involved with one another because of the potential damage to the atmosphere of the organization.

savafan
08-05-2005, 01:05 AM
It's now affecting the game.

http://www.covers.com/articles/articles.aspx?theArt=51998&tid=24&t=1

Lowe affair scandal; Dodgers push back start
Ryan Stetson

The Los Angeles Dodgers aren’t rolling the dice by putting Derek Lowe on the hill tonight against Washington in light of some of the personal problems the mercurial starter is facing.

Lowe’s wife Trinka Lowe claims her husband has been having an affair with Fox Sports anchor/reporter Carolyn Hughes, who met the pitcher during spring training while covering the team.

Lowe was living in Los Angeles by himself before he was joined by his now-estranged wife and three children in early June after the school year finished. It was then that Lowe told his wife that he wanted to end their seven-year marriage.

Lowe and Hughes are now rumored to be shopping for a home in Manhattan Beach, while Trinka and the children have moved back to Fort Myers, Florida.

But the whole situation seems far from resolved.

Trinka Lowe broke the whole story wide open when she dropped the scoop to an FSN executive late last month. Hughes has been subsequently suspended by FSN as the investigation continues.

"He never said anything, then all of a sudden he decides he`s unhappy,” Trinka Lowe told kronishsports.com, “I have no doubt that she`s [Hughes] the reason our marriage broke up."

"I love him and I`m willing to do anything to help him through this difficult time,” she added. “One day he`ll realize that family is more important. I`m forgiving. I love my husband. It`s about salvaging the family."

So where does this leave Dodgers supporters who are waiting to see how the books react to the whole situation? Brad Penny will reportedly take Lowe’s spot in the rotation tonight against the Nats, with Lowe going Friday in Pittsburgh.

“I think this was done maybe to protect this player [Lowe] from the media; there’s a lot more [media coverage] in Washington than in Pittsburgh,” says Michael Pierce, oddsmaker at BetWWTS.com. “Also, there won’t be as many fans in Pittsburgh compared to Washington.”

"It is hard to gauge the impact on the rest of the other Dodgers right now," Covers Expert Dave Malinsky adds. "I would get the feeling that the players have probably known about this for quite some time, given the evidence now getting out there. And since they had a off day on Monday, Penny will be pitching on his usual four days rest, so there should not be much of an issue with him."

A number of sportsbooks told Covers.com that the alleged affair wouldn’t have impacted their opening lines even if Lowe did make his scheduled start tonight. Lowe is reported to have suffered from a thumb blister in recent starts, however, and that may have contributed to L.A. `s decision in keeping the righty on the bench for an extra day. Now that Penny will take the ball in Lowe’s place, bettors can expect business as usual when the books come out with tonight’s line and probably shouldn’t bank on a big break in his price Friday, either.

“It’s hard to say how it will affect him, as everybody is a little different in these situations,” says Shane Catford, oddsmaker at Betcris.com. “I’m sure it will have some effect on him though, it has to distract him at least from what he is paid to do. I can see the public reacting the same way as well. While I say this, his odds will not be adjusted very much, but I’m sure there will be money against him.”

Sportsbooks have set the Dodgers at +130 underdogs for tonight`s game with Brad Penny starting. The run total opened at 7.

Blimpie
08-05-2005, 10:15 AM
Wow. It took my reading half of this article before I realized that it was written by degenerates--oops, I mean "people" who were only concerned with how this family crisis affected the line on the Dodgers game.... :help:

Chip R
08-05-2005, 10:37 AM
Conflict of interest...for sure...the broadcasters who work on the team shows, pregame and postgame are selected by the team and viewed as team reps...so many companies still frown on coworkers being involved with one another because of the potential damage to the atmosphere of the organization.

If that's the case then why not frown on all personal relationships between broadcasters and the players/management? Again, why wasn't Fox owning the Dodgers and broadcasting not only their games but other teams games as well a conflict?

Let's say, for example, that the Reds have been in serious talks about trading Eric Milton. Let's further say that Marty Brennaman and Milton are very good friends. They golf together, hang on the road with each other, do each other's hair, etc. Marty hears about this trade going down and then he starts talking during the game and to writers that Milton is a fine person and a good pitcher and shouldn't be traded. You know how influential Marty is. Pretty soon he's got Furman, Tracy Jones and Lance all fired up about not trading Milton because if Marty said they shouldn't trade Milton, that's good enough for them. Now the fans start e-mailing and calling the shows and the Reds telling them not to trade Milton because Marty said they shouldn't. Now isn't that a conflict of interest right there?

I really don't understand what Fox is worried about. Do they think she's going to pull a Ron Burgundy and say on the air that her and Lowe are lovers? If anything she's going to go out of her way to say good things about Lowe - which I'm sure Fox would want her to do anyway. If Lowe performed poorly she's not exactly going to come out and start ranting about how horrible he is even if they didn't know each other. You ever hear Grande and Welch say anything bad about any of the Reds players?

If Hughes was some kind of investigative reporter that had an affair with someone who was related to a story she was covering, that'd be one thing. But she's a talking head. If there were some morals clause in her contract and they did this to her because of the affair, that'd be another story. I'm not saying this isn't a conflict of interest but in this age of cross ownership of media and all the frienships between the media and players, why make an example out of her?

alpujols
08-05-2005, 10:44 AM
I don't think that Lowe's wife is doing this for revenge. She is exposing this affair so that it will be ended. Affairs thrive on secrecy. She obviously wants to save her marriage and in order to do that, she first needs to end the affair. People recover from affairs all the time, but that is not going to happen if the affair continues.

KearnsyEars
08-05-2005, 10:50 AM
some beautiful women there

creek14
08-05-2005, 02:02 PM
Different celeb - related topic.

Kate Hudson: Monogamy isn't realistic

Associated Press
Aug. 5, 2005 9:02 AM

NEW YORK - Kate Hudson says monogamy isn't "realistic," but believes couples have the power to be faithful. In an interview Thursday on syndicated TV show "Access Hollywood," the 26-year-old actress said, "I don't believe (monogamy) is realistic. But, I believe that we, as people, have the power to make it happen."

She added: "I will not disrespect my husband and stray." Hudson, the daughter of actress Goldie Hawn, married Black Crowes singer Chris Robinson on Dec. 31, 2000. The couple have an 18-month-old son, Ryder.

Asked if she believes Robinson has remained faithful, Hudson said, "If you focus your attention on that, then you are always wondering if your husband or men are out there cheating on you.

"If for some reason, that's what he has to go do, I just don't want to know. As long as things are good in our house, just please, don't get caught."

Hudson was nominated for an Oscar for her role in 2000's "Almost Famous." Her screen credits also include "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days," "Alex & Emma," "Le Divorce" and the upcoming "The Skeleton Key."

Blimpie
08-05-2005, 02:59 PM
Asked if she believes Robinson has remained faithful, Hudson said, "If you focus your attention on that, then you are always wondering if your husband or men are out there cheating on you. I believe that was a 'No'

"If for some reason, that's what he has to go do, I just don't want to know. As long as things are good in our house, just please, don't get caught." I am woman, hear me roar....

M2
08-05-2005, 03:00 PM
I believe Kate's saying, "Hey, I married a rock star. If he keeps the heroin out of the house and doesn't give me Hepatitis C I'm ahead of the game."

butlerbulldogs
08-06-2005, 03:03 PM
lol, M2

i think he should be worried about her cheating more than him, he definitely married higher than his looks (disclaimer: looks aren't everything)

she is gorgeous

savafan
08-07-2005, 01:00 PM
Could his philandering be why the Red Sox wouldn't even talk to Lowe about re-signing? John Henry says no.

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=96969

By Jeff Horrigan/ Red Sox Notebook
Sunday, August 7, 2005 - Updated: 11:19 AM EST

MINNEAPOLIS - Red Sox principal owner John W. Henry denied a published report from last week that indicated he had expressed dissatisfaction with Derek Lowe's personal life and instructed that the former Sox pitcher not be re-signed when he became a free agent last fall.

An item in the Herald's Inside Track last week reported that Henry was angered by Lowe allegedly showing up at a charity event last year with a woman who was not his wife and that the open philandering upset the owner so much that it sealed the right-hander's fate with the Sox. Lowe, who ended up signing a four-year contract with the Los Angeles Dodgers, has reportedly split with his wife due to his relationship with a West Coast television sports reporter.

Henry, via e-mail, denied that Lowe's personal life had anything to do with his status and that he had nothing to do with contract negotiations. He said that confusion resulted when his attempt to issue a denial through a spokesman was relayed as a ``no comment'' instead.

``The story is inaccurate,'' Henry said in his e-mail. ``The Inside Track asked for verification from the Red Sox and received a no comment. It's unfortunate the Red Sox did not deny the story in advance, but I believe the Red Sox rule or position is not to comment on players' personal lives in any way. That is understandable. I denied it immediately because it was untrue and further speculation that I somehow played a role in those contract negotiations (is) also untrue. The denial was not relayed to the Herald.''

Team Clark
08-07-2005, 03:29 PM
Could his philandering be why the Red Sox wouldn't even talk to Lowe about re-signing? John Henry says no.

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=96969

By Jeff Horrigan/ Red Sox Notebook
Sunday, August 7, 2005 - Updated: 11:19 AM EST

MINNEAPOLIS - Red Sox principal owner John W. Henry denied a published report from last week that indicated he had expressed dissatisfaction with Derek Lowe's personal life and instructed that the former Sox pitcher not be re-signed when he became a free agent last fall.

An item in the Herald's Inside Track last week reported that Henry was angered by Lowe allegedly showing up at a charity event last year with a woman who was not his wife and that the open philandering upset the owner so much that it sealed the right-hander's fate with the Sox. Lowe, who ended up signing a four-year contract with the Los Angeles Dodgers, has reportedly split with his wife due to his relationship with a West Coast television sports reporter.

Henry, via e-mail, denied that Lowe's personal life had anything to do with his status and that he had nothing to do with contract negotiations. He said that confusion resulted when his attempt to issue a denial through a spokesman was relayed as a ``no comment'' instead.

``The story is inaccurate,'' Henry said in his e-mail. ``The Inside Track asked for verification from the Red Sox and received a no comment. It's unfortunate the Red Sox did not deny the story in advance, but I believe the Red Sox rule or position is not to comment on players' personal lives in any way. That is understandable. I denied it immediately because it was untrue and further speculation that I somehow played a role in those contract negotiations (is) also untrue. The denial was not relayed to the Herald.''

SOOO, that means you DIDN"t sign him because he was philandering. Thanks for clearing that up. Your money, your choice.

WVRedsFan
08-07-2005, 03:57 PM
Obviously, we don't know the whole story and it is, after all, between Mr. and Mrs. Lowe. It doesn't make a warm pitcher of spit what we all think.

Yes, couples should marry forever, but it rarely happens in our society. Who knows what went on behind closed doors? Not me.

In my business I deal with folks splitting up every day. It always amazes me how the stories of the two parties differ and what they'll do to dishonor the former spouse.

alex trevino
08-07-2005, 04:02 PM
If Mrs. Lowe can prove the marriage fell apart because of Mrs. Huges action then she should sue her for "alienation of affection". Unfortunately, people seldom get married for a single reason and often do not divorce for a single reason. There is often enough blame to go around. Still I am all for making people accountable for their actions including the third party who are the ones who seldom have anything to lose and everything to gain in these situations. SO I SAY SUE THE B#T!H :eek:

savafan
03-04-2006, 01:05 PM
I don't even know what to say about this. The marital affair was hard on him? It led to depression? Tell the truth Derek, it was the getting caught part that hurt the most, right? Think of how it affected your wife.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/columnists/la-sp-plaschke2mar02,1,2438994.column?coll=la-headlines-sports-columnists&ctrack=1&cset=true

VERO BEACH, Fla. — The big-money pitcher was emotionally broke.

The coolest dude on the team was mentally cooked.

Eight months after breaking sports' most legendary curse, Derek Lowe was too distracted to even break a bat.

It was July 2, a Saturday afternoon at Dodger Stadium, the bottom of the first inning, Lowe was in the dugout after giving up a home run to the Arizona Diamondbacks' Chad Tracy.

The score was 1-1, but Lowe walked up to Manager Jim Tracy and pitching coach Jim Colborn with a message.

"I told them I couldn't pitch anymore," Lowe recalled. "I had reached my breaking point. For the first time in my career, I just didn't care anymore."

He asked them to remove him from the game. But the bullpen was too tired and the circumstances were too odd. They refused, urging Lowe to give it one more shot in the second inning.

First batter, first pitch, home run.

Second batter, first pitch, home run.

By the time he was removed after three innings, he had given up four homers, one-third as many as he once gave up in an entire season.

The Dodgers lost, 7-5; Derek Lowe was just lost, period.

"I've pitched in so many big games in my career, I always thought I could overcome anything," he said. "But last summer, what happened in my personal life, I couldn't overcome."

Lowe was talking about his publicized marital problems with wife Trinka, a situation that brewed through the season before becoming public in late July amid reports that he was having an affair with Carolyn Hughes, Fox Sports Net's Dodger reporter.

Lowe has since filed for divorce and moved in with Hughes, and says he finally has a handle on his personal affairs. The Dodgers have agreed by naming him the opening-day starter.

But last summer's situation cost Hughes her job and nearly cost Lowe his sanity.

"It was hard, it was hurtful, it was embarrassing," Lowe said Wednesday in Vero Beach. "You look at athletes, they say it shouldn't affect you, but you take your uniform off and you drive home and you're a person, and when things are bad, it's really tough."

Lowe wouldn't talk about this last season. Few newspapers wrote about it in detail because players' unsubstantiated private problems are generally considered unworthy of print unless they affect their play.

While not diminishing the pain felt by his wife and three children, Lowe now says that the impact on his work was huge.

"I don't care what you do for a living, when you go through a divorce, it really affects your job," he said.

He says he lost 25 pounds. He says he couldn't eat or sleep. Clubhouse workers at Dodger Stadium confirm that on at least one occasion, he stayed there all night.

Known as a clubhouse leader, he said he became a drain.

"Young kids looked at veteran guys for leadership, but I was horrible at it," he said. "I couldn't help the young kids. My mind wasn't in the right place."

Known as the center of clubhouse conversation, he found even his best friends were worn down.

"I talked about this 24-7, and the guys were great about listening to me, but eventually they got tired of it," he said. "I alienated myself from the team. People knew I was having a bad day and they didn't look at me, they didn't want to talk to me."

By late July, Dodger owner Frank McCourt flew to New York to discuss the situation with Lowe.

"We wanted him to know that we were thinking about him," McCourt said.

In late July, the Hughes accusations surfaced on the Internet, then Trinka Lowe gave several interviews.

At this point, at McCourt's urging, Lowe met with club President Jamie McCourt, who Frank says has experience in marital counseling and law.

Sources say that meeting did not go well and that she wanted to trade him, although Frank McCourt denied it.

"As far as trying to trade him is concerned, that never happened," Frank McCourt said. "Derek expressed accountability, he faced this challenge like a man, and we only offered our support."

Lowe, the winning pitcher in the Boston Red Sox's three series-clinching games during the magical 2004 postseason, considered going on the disabled list for emotional distress.

"In hindsight, maybe that was the thing to do," he said.

But he had never been on the disabled list and was proud of it.

So Lowe kept pitching and wound up with a career-high 222 innings, but he says now he barely made it past July 2.

"You realize, you're not Superman," he said.

He said that shortly after his Arizona meltdown, he began divorce proceedings and the pressure eased.

The night of the Arizona loss, he was 5-9 with a 3.96 earned-run average. The rest of the season, he went 7-6 with a 3.24 ERA.

"Once I moved forward, the burden was off my shoulders, and I started pitching like I should have pitched the entire season," he said.

Lowe would not discuss his relationship with Hughes, only to say, "What happened had nothing to do with Carolyn, I could have been playing in Kansas City and this would have happened. Neither one of us left our marriages for the other person. She got a divorce. I got a divorce. Totally separate."

Lowe added that, "People are amazed we're still together. People thought we had a fling. It was not a fling."

Lowe said he also has a feeling of permanence in the clubhouse.

"After all that happened last year, I learned a lot about myself, I learned a lot about leaving personal stuff at the door," he said. "I'm a better pitcher and better person today because of it."

Not to mention, for the second consecutive season, an opening-day pitcher.

Grady Little said when he became the manager of his former player this winter, his opening-day-starter decision was easy.

"I'm doing this because he's been there," Little said. "He has seen the circus. He has learned how to deal with it.''

letsgojunior
03-04-2006, 01:10 PM
I believe Kate's saying, "Hey, I married a rock star. If he keeps the heroin out of the house and doesn't give me Hepatitis C I'm ahead of the game."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

KronoRed
03-04-2006, 01:25 PM
I don't even know what to say about this. The marital affair was hard on him? It led to depression? Tell the truth Derek, it was the getting caught part that hurt the most, right? Think of how it affected your wife.
100% agreed, how does she feel?

traderumor
03-04-2006, 01:31 PM
I think she told the world that last summer. I don't think her going to the media was right, either.

vaticanplum
03-04-2006, 02:20 PM

True dat, but there's something to be said for opportunity. Joe Average who has the same routine in the same city every day is in a bit of a different situation than someone who's away from home much of the time, is at bars almost every single night, and has only to say that he's a ballplayer before 15 women throw themselves at him. Especially when you are also surrounded by men for whom cheating is the norm rather than the exception.

MartyFan
03-04-2006, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by savafan

I do not condone his actions but I also know there is always, always, ALWAYS two sides to every coin.

Perhaps it is as easy to sum up as saying he is a jerk and he got lazy in his marriage? Maybe not?

cincinnati chili
03-04-2006, 05:52 PM
John Henry probably isn't shooting straight, as this has been a pretty prevalent rumor here for a long time.

A note on the "conflict of interest" angle. Ben Cherington, who was interim GM of the Red Sox when Theo was on hiatus, is married to a local sports anchor here, Wendy Nix. Cherington was farm director before that, and has held several positions on the team. Nix, in additon to her anchor job, has filled in on sports talk radio here. I've never heard a whisper about conflict of interest. It might be because she's so blunt in her criticism of the Red Sox, and because he's so tight-lipped about any of the inner-workings of the club.

In other words, nobody who's been around Ben or Wendy would suspect that one would compromise his organization to benefit the other.

But for those of low character, such as Derek and Trinka, I could see how there might be reasonable suspicion of improper behavior. You reap what you sow.