PDA

View Full Version : Graves DFA might retire!!!!!!

redsfan4445
08-24-2005, 11:40 AM
Saw this on sportsline just now:

"Steve Trachsel is back and Danny Graves may be gone for good, says the New York Daily News. Trachsel will come off the DL to start Friday night in San Francisco, and Graves - who was designated for assignment to make room, is considering retirement. "

redsfan30
08-24-2005, 11:49 AM
He takes alot of crap around here, but this is really sad.

I would never openly root for a players career to just completely tear apart and that's what Danny's has done.

westofyou
08-24-2005, 11:52 AM
He takes alot of crap around here, but this is really sad.

I would never openly root for a players career to just completely tear apart and that's what Danny's has done.

It didn't tear apart, it had the natural rise and fall of a pitcher, the illusion of it tearing apart is based on the fact that so many dollars and hopes were tied up in the guy. Most of based on surface evaluations and not numbers.

flyer85
08-24-2005, 11:53 AM
I thought they straightened him out when he found out he was tipping his pitches. :rolleyes:

I guess not, maybe he just sucks.

Wheelhouse
08-24-2005, 02:37 PM
Big question--if he retires or does not play, do the Reds owe him the mil. or so left on his contract this year?

Chip R
08-24-2005, 02:52 PM
Big question--if he retires or does not play, do the Reds owe him the mil. or so left on his contract this year?
Good question. I would guess that maybe the Reds would owe him but the Mets wouldn't. But if he actually retires I doubt he'd do it now.

wheels
08-24-2005, 05:26 PM
Danny who?

Oh yeah, that short little pudge that couldn't get guys out the last two years of his career.

I almost forgot about him.

Big Klu
08-24-2005, 07:26 PM
BOOOOOOO DANNY GRAVES!!!!

Sea Ray
08-24-2005, 11:04 PM
Saw this on sportsline just now:

"Steve Trachsel is back and Danny Graves may be gone for good, says the New York Daily News. Trachsel will come off the DL to start Friday night in San Francisco, and Graves - who was designated for assignment to make room, is considering retirement. "

If I'm Danny Graves I don't retire. I hire myself the best personal trainer there is and I work like an animal to get back into shape. I don't pick up a baseball for at least 4 months. I stay away from tatoo parlors and Krispy Kremes. I work like crazy to get into shape to the point that they don't recognize me in March. I sign whatever minor league deal I can get and then I let it fly. If after all that I don't make it then fine. At least I'll be remembered like that rather than this dismal 2005 season.

westofyou
08-24-2005, 11:06 PM
If I'm Danny Graves I don't retire. I hire myself the best personal trainer there is and I work like an animal to get back into shape. I don't pick up a baseball for at least 4 months. I stay away from tatoo parlors and Krispy Kremes. I work like crazy to get into shape to the point that they don't recognize me in March. I sign whatever minor league deal I can get and then I let it fly. If after all that I don't make it then fine. At least I'll be remembered like that rather than this dismal 2005 season.

And then I call up Gene Garber and Mike Marshall and ask.., "How?"

jnwohio
08-24-2005, 11:57 PM
There is the matter of that $500,000 option on the $5 million extension the Mets granted for next year to lure him away form the Marlins. I'm guessing he is not about to do anything to endanger receiving that $500,000.

So if no trade is consumated or nobody claims him on release waivers, he just sits tight and collects his money. At some point after the last check is in the mail, he can announce his retirement if he wishes. Otherwise if there is a trade or a claim, he will report and do what they ask for the next 5 weeks to assure he receives all the money in the contract(s). Then if he feels finished, he announces his retirement.

George Foster
08-25-2005, 12:09 AM

If your retire, you quit. The Reds would owe him nothing. Just if a manager signed a five year contract, and quit after 3.

If another team picked him up, and placed him on there 40 man roster, the Reds would have to pay him, even if he were in the minors. Graves has to much pride to do this, he knows he has enough money.

westofyou
08-25-2005, 12:27 AM
If your retire, you quit. The Reds would owe him nothing. Just if a manager signed a five year contract, and quit after 3.

If another team picked him up, and placed him on there 40 man roster, the Reds would have to pay him, even if he were in the minors. Graves has to much pride to do this, he knows he has enough money.

Nope, the Reds released Graves and are on the hook for his contract for the rest of the season.

Reverend Doo-Rag
08-25-2005, 07:47 AM
Graves is the Terry Felton of relief pitchers.

George Foster
08-25-2005, 11:50 PM
When I posted this, I assumed he would retire at the end of the season. If this is the case, then I am right.

alex trevino
08-26-2005, 07:22 AM
why all the ecxclamation points? Retirement is generally an option for a pitcher who can not get anyone out and has been released twice within 3 months.

Garrett
08-26-2005, 08:31 AM
For every player who flames out and disappears from the game, there are the young hero worshippers who decorated their rooms with posters, and their school books with his picture. Remember his visits to the children in hospitals, and his charity work.
Danny was once an icon of the Cincinnati Reds, and as we should not speak ill of the dead, we should not speak negatively about the inevitable decline they he shared with all ballplayers, and all human beings.
He is gone now, and we should recall the glory years, when ground ball after ground ball came off the bats he faced, and we cheered his gutsy comebacks after someone or two got on base.
He had plenty of false pride and personal failings-like letting his body go too early, and cluttering up his skin with too many tattoos.
So remember the glory, the days when he was one of our boys of summer. And tread softly on his downward spiral.

wheels
08-26-2005, 08:58 AM
For every player who flames out and disappears from the game, there are the young hero worshippers who decorated their rooms with posters, and their school books with his picture. Remember his visits to the children in hospitals, and his charity work.
Danny was once an icon of the Cincinnati Reds, and as we should not speak ill of the dead, we should not speak negatively about the inevitable decline they he shared with all ballplayers, and all human beings.
He is gone now, and we should recall the glory years, when ground ball after ground ball came off the bats he faced, and we cheered his gutsy comebacks after someone or two got on base.
He had plenty of false pride and personal failings-like letting his body go too early, and cluttering up his skin with too many tattoos.
So remember the glory, the days when he was one of our boys of summer. And tread softly on his downward spiral.

Yeah....

Thing is, the guy turned into a collossal jerk at the end.

An overpaid, lazy, whiney, unmotivated, ineffective jerk.

That's what I'll remember.

Unassisted
08-26-2005, 09:16 AM
Forget retirement. Sounds like accepting assignment is a more likely scenario. The Reds and Mets can pay him big bucks to mop up in Norfolk.

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050826/SPT05/508260314/1035

Graves might go to minors, Hume says

WASHINGTON - Reds bullpen coach Tom Hume said before Thursday's game he had not yet spoken to Danny Graves, who was designated for assignment by the Mets Tuesday night.

Hume and Graves remain close; they spoke daily when Graves was in limbo after being designated for assignment by the Reds in May. There was a report in the New York Daily News that Graves was pondering retirement, but Hume said he had heard the Mets wanted Graves to go to Class AAA Norfolk and await a possible September call-up.

Graves had a 5.89 ERA in 17 games with the Mets after posting a 7.36 ERA in 20 games for the Reds.

Marc Lancaster

Chip R
08-26-2005, 09:20 AM
Forget retirement. Sounds like accepting assignment is a more likely scenario. The Reds and Mets can pay him big bucks to mop up in Norfolk.

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050826/SPT05/508260314/1035
I'd be surprised if he could get AAA hitters out.

Almost seems counterproductive to DFA a guy then bring him back up in a week. But I guess it was a combination of Danny boy's suckitude and the Mets needing to clear a roster space. They won't have that problem in a week. Of course they will still have Graves' suckitude to put up with but it's not like they have to play him.

Blimpie
08-26-2005, 10:22 AM
I'd be surprised if he could get AAA hitters out.

Almost seems counterproductive to DFA a guy then bring him back up in a week. But I guess it was a combination of Danny boy's suckitude and the Mets needing to clear a roster space. They won't have that problem in a week. Of course they will still have Graves' suckitude to put up with but it's not like they have to play him.Whether anybody believes it or not, the Mets still believe they are in a playoff hunt. In fact, they are starting to get some decent mojo working--especially with the recent play of David Wright.

I think that the Mets simply found themselves in a position where they couldn't keep Danny propped up in the bullpen--stinking on ice--and then say to the rest of the team, "we need more out of you guys...more, more, more"

The New York fans and media don't give a rat's backside how many hospitals that Danny visits. They took a virtual no-risk flyer on him and it didn't pan out for them. Oh well, on to the next attempt to improve the club. Randolph is not going to concede the season and allow that kind of apathy to creep into his clubhouse through the bullpen door....

captainmorgan07
08-26-2005, 10:52 AM
hey why take retirement the royals and pirates always need a closer who can blow games at the tip of a hat

KearnsyEars
08-26-2005, 11:55 AM
bye danny

Mainspark
08-26-2005, 09:32 PM
Graves clears waivers, heads to minors
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — New York Mets reliever Danny Graves cleared waivers Friday and was sent to Triple-A Norfolk.
Graves, who was designated for assignment earlier in the week to make room for Steve Trachsel, had a 5.89 ERA in 17 appearances for the Mets this season.
The Cincinnati Reds released Graves, the franchise’s career saves leader, in June.

westofyou
08-26-2005, 09:36 PM
The Cincinnati Reds released Graves, the franchise’s career saves leader, in June

And magically were better the next day.

Supporting pitching like that with dollars and undying faith is a death to a mid and small market team. Getting rid of Graves was the equal to the removal of Ringworm from your system. Once he was gone the team as a whole began to get better.

RFS62
08-26-2005, 09:38 PM
And magically were better the next day.

Supporting pitching like that with dollars and undying faith is a death to a mid and small market team. Getting rid of Graves was the equal to the removal of Ringworm from your system. Once he was gone the team as a whole began to get better.

I'd say jock-itch.

Otherwise, I agree.

KronoRed
08-26-2005, 09:39 PM
Maybe he just wanted to go to Norfolk instead of Louisville

westofyou
08-26-2005, 09:39 PM
Maybe he just wanted to go to Norfolk instead of Louisville

can't blame him. :mooner:

KronoRed
08-26-2005, 09:43 PM
But..he's a tide now, I'd prefer a bat myself :D

Wheelhouse
08-27-2005, 01:57 AM
What's odd is the lack of Hal coverage on this...he usually follows up on the goings on of ex-Reds, especially popular ones. He also chastised me in an email when I approved of his Reds DFA, saying someone wil pick him up and he'd do well, and that he was such a great presence on the team. Sometimes I think Hal's judgment of a player is clouded by his feelings for them.

westofyou
08-27-2005, 11:08 AM
Sometimes I think Hal's judgment of a player is clouded by his feelings for them.

Sometimes?

All the time is more like it.

Marty too.

The mid 60's Phillies has a press corp theat followed them around and focused on the "personalities" of teh clubhouse and not the game. Since it was the nid 60's and Richie Allen was on the team the issue of race was a constant insertion in their stories.

Allen called them the "Chipmunk" reporters, because they were always scurring around.

The Reds have somewhat of the same situation, the "older" writers and announcers tend to talk of personaities and the companionship they provide to each other and the link to the magic past... whether it's BRM or 1999.

Meanwhile balls roll to the wall behind the laughter about listener emails and Hals stories of hating the road.

Red Rover
08-29-2005, 09:47 AM
Graves now with a 36.0ERA with 2 game in the minors.

TheBurn
08-29-2005, 08:36 PM
I like Danny Graves. He's a legitimate good guy.
Hope he gets everything straigthened out.

WMR
08-29-2005, 08:59 PM
I like Danny Graves. He's a legitimate good guy.
Hope he gets everything straigthened out.

Yeah, he was especially nice in his comments about Kentuckians and West Virginians (who play a not insignificant amount as to the # of ppl. at GABP).

deltachi8
08-29-2005, 10:52 PM
i just dont get the infatuation with a guy who no longer pitchers for the reds...whatever floats your boat i suppose...