PDA

View Full Version : Apologies due to Aurilia

Maldez
08-28-2005, 07:07 AM
Isn't it time some posters on this board admitted how wrong they were about Rich Aurilia in the Spring? I mean the guy was absolutely savaged here, one guy referring to him as "The sewage that is Rich Aurilia" or some such ugliness.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but Aurilia's been excellent since around June, when he finally got on track. Aurilia's contributions to the Reds second half rebound have been huge. His double in the 9th inning with 2 outs won the game for Cincy last night.

It would just be good to hear an apology.

Edit

I should have mentioned in my original post that I, myself, took a shot or two at Aurilia when he was struggling.

So I apologize, Mr. Aurilia !!

Edit No. 2

My post, way back when <<....if Miley sits Lopez to give Aurilia his starting job back, I'm gonna go postal. A child could see that Felipe Lopez is a star in the making. We don't need no stinkin' Rich Aurilia!>>

Actually, my shot at Aurilia wasn't as bad as I feared it might've been after my self-righteous post of this morning. I STILL would go postal if Felipe Lopez was benched in favor of Aurilia. (and Lopez continues to look like a star in the making).

RedsBaron
08-28-2005, 07:09 AM
Aurilia has played much better than I expected.
I still don't like Aurilia.

Reds/Flyers Fan
08-28-2005, 08:52 AM
Isn't it time some posters on this board admitted how wrong they were about Rich Aurilia in the Spring?

Getting some people on here to admit they were wrong about Rich Aurilia? :laugh: There is a better chance of the Reds overtaking the Cards for the division title.

I was one of the few Aurilia defenders in April and May and took plenty of hits for that...even lost a few rep points. It's nice to see what he's doing now.

lollipopcurve
08-28-2005, 09:43 AM
I will gladly admit I was wrong about Aurilia. I attacked him like no other Red I've criticized on this board. He looked bad early on, and I didn't like the stuff he was saying. Now -- I think he and Griffey are cases in point that it takes guys who have been injured some time to get their swings back. I think Aurilia knew he had to get regular at bats in order to hit well, and that has turned out to be true.
I'm happy to eat crow here -- the guy is a better ballplayer than I thought he was. He's stinging it like a kamikaze fire ant.
Good sign by O'Brien.

Garrett
08-28-2005, 09:48 AM
Right on, Maldez. Aurelia is a pro. He's a seasoned pro, and he knows how to lobby for playing time. Being that he's verbal about his situation, and insistent on his skills, he has rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Not just poster, but sports talk hosts and even probably Miley.
He's helped the Reds win games, and I've never understood the antipathy toward him.

MWM
08-28-2005, 10:06 AM
No one was really wrong about Aurilia, honestly. Go read the thread when he was signed. Not that many people hated the signing. IIRC, most people didn't mind the signing as long as he was used in the proper role.

What people objected to was Aurilia continuing to play EVERY DAY when he was one of the worst everyday players in the league, meanwhile Felipe Lopez sat wasting away on the bench. Had Aurilia not got hurt, Lopez might not have ever gotten the chance to play every day. So if we're being honest here, those people who objected to Aurilia's role as an everyday player were actually proven right.

Yes, he improved his performance and has played well in the second half, but that doesn't change the fact that he best served this team as a fill in starter and utility player. That's the only objection people had. When Freel was healthy, he should have been playing 2B. FeLo should have been the everyday SS from opening day on.

Calling for an appology is a little moledramatic, IMO.

RBA
08-28-2005, 10:16 AM
Aurilia is a pro? Does a pro cry to the manager and to the media when he's not in the starting lineup? Quoting Condi Rice on someone else, "We just don't like him."

BamaRed
08-28-2005, 10:18 AM
Calling for an appology is a little moledramatic, IMO.

No it isn't. You owe him an apology for your misdirected anger. What is he supposed to say, "No skip, take me out of the line-up today, I don't deserve to start"?

You should have been railing against management for continuing to pencil him in everday!

pedro
08-28-2005, 10:23 AM
Isn't it time some posters on this board admitted how wrong they were about Rich Aurilia in the Spring? I mean the guy was absolutely savaged here, one guy referring to him as "The sewage that is Rich Aurilia" or some such ugliness.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but Aurilia's been excellent since around June, when he finally got on track. Aurilia's contributions to the Reds second half rebound have been huge. His double in the 9th inning with 2 outs won the game for Cincy last night.

Dear Rich,

I'm sorry you're such a jerk.

Maybe if you weren't you'd be somewhere else right now. Somewhere where you wouldn't be starting, because nobody wants a statue in the field who hasn't OPS'd above .735 for a whole season since 2001. Sorry you don't like Cincinnati. It's too bad because a lot of folks there seem to have accepted you and you are OPS'ing .972 at home. If you want out so bad why is it that you are OPS'ing .595 on the road? Not very "gamer" like if you ask me.

Anyway, have fun in Japan next year. Maybe they'll let you start there.

XOXO

Pedro

MWM
08-28-2005, 10:28 AM
You should have been railing against management for continuing to pencil him in everday!

Uh, that's exactly where my anger was directed all along.

westofyou
08-28-2005, 10:29 AM
Dear Rich,

You are a mini me to Dante Bichette, you came, you stunk, you got better.

Like him you soon will take your act elsewhere, say hi to Mike Lansing to me.

Love

WOY

PS

You are no longer a MLB SS, I thought you might like to know.

acredsfan
08-28-2005, 10:33 AM
Well, here are the facts about Aurillia, he played horrible at the beginning of the season which most of us were angry that he still continued to play. After his stint on the DL, he began to play very well, in fact, he became one of the best hitters on the team in pressure situations and has continued to do so. Along the way though, he has said some things that haven't helped his perception to the ones, me included, who really didn't think he was a good fit here in Cincy. He hasn't just been complained about because of his play early on in the season. His comments during the season have made him look like a whiner, cry baby, or however you want to say it. I will agree that he was a decent signing as far as money and the numbers go, but he has also slowed the development of the middle infielders in the farm system. Rey Olmedo and William Bergolla have both had stints up here while Ryan Freel or RA have been down with injuries, but they have not had an extended amount of playing time that they need to prove themselves worthy or not. We have to start finding a 2B that will play along side of Lopez on a daily basis for the future of our team, we can't rely on these 1 year rent-a-players.

MWM
08-28-2005, 10:43 AM
Here's a quote from Maldez a couple months back. I thought it might add something to this thread:

I've been sort of a fence-sitter when it comes to Dave Miley, but I'll tell you this - - if Miley sits Lopez to give Aurilia his starting job back, I'm gonna go postal. A child could see that Felipe Lopez is a star in the making. We don't need no stinkin' Rich Aurilia!

westofyou
08-28-2005, 10:47 AM
Here's a quote from Maldez a couple months back. I thought it might add something to this thread:

Here's his shoes. :evil:

http://www.shoptybee.com/images/very-jeri/green-flip-flop-lrg.jpg

Puffy
08-28-2005, 10:47 AM

Hmmmm, maybe he should call for himself to apologize to himself.

Unassisted
08-28-2005, 11:15 AM
Here's a quote from Maldez a couple months back. I thought it might add something to this thread:Good catch. I just subtracted something from his rep.

When exactly did Rich demonstrate that he deserved to start ahead of Freel? Oh, I remember now... he didn't.

Heath
08-28-2005, 11:24 AM
Dear Rich

Come play third base on my team next year.

Sincerely,
Jeff Kent

captainmorgan07
08-28-2005, 11:58 AM
i've never had a problem with rich at times thought he was alil selfish tlakin about his playing time but he's helped the team in the second half with his hitting and filling in for injured players

westofyou
08-28-2005, 12:06 PM

Yes, it would be nice.

You first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy Sanchez
I guess Rich Aurillia was the better option than with his .167 and 2 hrs against lefties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltz
The only thing I can surmise about all Rich Aurilia's playing time, is the guy must have pictures.

Last edited by paintmered : 06-05-2005 at 05:28 PM.

Reason: Please see rule #2.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=729979&postcount=30

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35859

Heath
08-28-2005, 12:15 PM
Dear Richie

Come play shortstop on my team this year.

Sincerely,

Joe's Bar & Grill
Champions, Friday Night Men's League at Riverside Park.

Matt700wlw
08-28-2005, 12:29 PM
I was fine with the signing over the winter because I wanted Lopez to earn the job. He has. Aurilia has done well, but his attitude gets on my nerves sometimes.

He has a role, and he's done it very well.

acredsfan
08-28-2005, 12:39 PM
In the words of Nancy Zimpher: "We make no apologies..."

KronoRed
08-28-2005, 01:31 PM
Aurilia has played much better than I expected.
I still don't like Aurilia.
Same.

I'm glad he's played well, but under no circumstances should he be back next year, and right now we should be playing guys who will be back next year

Redsfaithful
08-28-2005, 01:45 PM
If thinking Rich Aurilia sucks is wrong then I don't want to be right.

WMR
08-28-2005, 02:55 PM
If thinking Rich Aurilia sucks is wrong then I don't want to be right.

AMEN, Brother!!

He's still a whining baby... And NO, whining about playing time is NEVER a good thing.

pedro
08-28-2005, 03:19 PM
Dear Rich,

Why do you hate freedom?

XOXO

W

Matt700wlw
08-28-2005, 03:22 PM
He was quick to point out the postgame last night that this is the first time since 1996 he's playing games that don't mean anything....

acredsfan
08-28-2005, 03:30 PM
He was quick to point out the postgame last night that this is the first time since 1996 he's playing games that don't mean anything....Yeah, he didn't show any love for the organization, it's one of those cases where silence speaks louder than what is said. He just wouldn't come out and say he didn't want to come back next year, but he sure gave some big hints in that direction, at least it seemed that way to me.

KoryMac5
08-28-2005, 04:33 PM
Do we owe Jimenez an apology too. He's hitting .280 for the Lookouts. LOL! We as fans can cheer for who we want and boo who we want thats what makes us fans. If rich boots a groundball and loses a game for us is he going to come and apologize to us the fans, I think not. Do I like the way he's playing yes would I be hurt if he's not here next year no.

tp_on_safari
08-28-2005, 05:36 PM
I was watching the gamecast today on foxsports and this from Aurila came up. I will post it.

----------

Rich Aurilia is still hoping to be traded by the Reds. "They said before the trade deadline there was no interest in me so they had to keep me," Aurilia said. "Now there is interest and they're keeping me to win games. What happens when [Ryan] Freel comes back? Is everybody going to be mad at me again because I want to play every day? I'll be sitting and it'll be too late to trade me."

jmcclain19
08-28-2005, 05:43 PM
Dear Rich,

Stop killing kittens.

Love,

jmcclain19

RFS62
08-28-2005, 05:43 PM
Rich Aurilia is still hoping to be traded by the Reds. "They said before the trade deadline there was no interest in me so they had to keep me," Aurilia said. "Now there is interest and they're keeping me to win games. What happens when [Ryan] Freel comes back? Is everybody going to be mad at me again because I want to play every day? I'll be sitting and it'll be too late to trade me."

At least he's consistent.

I'm not mad at you Rich for wanting to play everyday. I'm just sick of your mouth, which was billed as "veteran presence" when we picked you up off the junk heap.

Me, me, me. The Reds are in business to further your career, I suppose. Shut your pie hole, play hard every chance you get, and maybe you can escape your living hell and hook up with some team more suitable to your delicate sensibilities for next year.

George Foster
08-28-2005, 10:18 PM
Yes, it would be nice.

You first.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=729979&postcount=30

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35859

Uh, he did apologize read the post again!

pedro
08-28-2005, 10:49 PM
Uh, he did apologize read the post again!

um, you do know what "edit" means?

well he changed his original post after the fact, although I'm not surprised you failed to notice as you seem to have no problem swallowing revisionist history.

Raisor
08-28-2005, 11:26 PM
I haven't forgiven Rich for sucking for my Mariners last year.

acredsfan
08-28-2005, 11:34 PM
Well, I guess I've had a change of heart, I'll apologize......................................... ........................................... if he promises never to come back again.

Well anyway, I think the majority are in agreement that we are not mad at him because he was horrible at the beginning of the season, but instead it was the things he said that really makes us unable to apologize for our thoughts. After all, we were, and are just voicing our opions, which is exactly what Rich was doing in the first place. It says in the Bill of Rights that we have the right to freedom of speech, but most people also ignore the part that you have to endure the consequences of what you say, which in Rich's case is hatered by many members of RedsZone.

Walkerforpres
08-28-2005, 11:46 PM
Dear Rich,

Thanks for being a warm body when we needed it. You came, you stunk, you got a little better, you whined. And whined. And whined some more.

Here's a roll of duct tape for your big fat trap, and a safety pin for your hot air balloon-sized ego when you're playing for a "winner" next year, filling exactly the same role as you're filling now, except with oh....150 less ABs. Somehow, I don't think you'll be whining then.

And shave that thing on your chin. It's kinda unclassy for such a winner as yourself.

xoxo

-wfp

George Foster
08-28-2005, 11:54 PM
um, you do know what "edit" means?

well he changed his original post after the fact, although I'm not surprised you failed to notice as you seem to have no problem swallowing revisionist history.

If he edited his post AFTER you guys trashed him then so be it, is there a way to know when he edited it (time)? I assumed he edited it right after he posted it.

Revisionist history is believing Hussein was a democratic elected leader and that women had voting rights.

I don't mind a guy complaining about playing time. He should have kept it "internal" and not taken it to the press. He's been valuable to our team this year. I do think "he" thinks he's better than he really is, but if you don't have that attitude, your not a big leaguer. Austin Kearns believes he should not have to share time with Willy Mo, but the truth is he should.

Reds/Flyers Fan
08-29-2005, 12:17 AM

Me, me, me.

Which certainly doesn't make him unique among modern professional athletes. And as for RA playing meaningless games for the first time since 1996, boo-freakin'-hoo.

First of all, I didn't think either the M's or Padres came close to the playoffs last year. Secondly, if you didn't want to play meaningless games in August, perhaps you could have stepped it up a little earlier this year when the Reds needed some offensive help.

And last, the Reds aren't going to the postseason this year, but neither are they as hopelessly lost as they were a few months ago. At 8 games back in the WC race, they are at least in shouting distance. How close do they have to get before the games become "meaningful" again?

Patrick Bateman
08-29-2005, 12:27 AM
If he edited his post AFTER you guys trashed him then so be it, is there a way to know when he edited it (time)? I assumed he edited it right after he posted it.

Revisionist history is believing Hussein was a democratic elected leader and that women had voting rights.

I don't mind a guy complaining about playing time. He should have kept it "internal" and not taken it to the press. He's been valuable to our team this year. I do think "he" thinks he's better than he really is, but if you don't have that attitude, your not a big leaguer. Austin Kearns believes he should not have to share time with Willy Mo, but the truth is he should.

It was quite a bit after. It says at the bottom of every post whether they edited it and at what time.

MWM
08-29-2005, 12:29 AM
Keep politics out of the baseball side, GF.

George Foster
08-29-2005, 12:29 AM
It was quite a bit after. It says at the bottom of every post whether they edited it and at what time.

I did not realize the time was posted as well, thanks!

capndees
08-29-2005, 02:46 AM

I'm not mad at you Rich for wanting to play everyday. I'm just sick of your mouth, which was billed as "veteran presence" when we picked you up off the junk heap.

Me, me, me. The Reds are in business to further your career, I suppose. Shut your pie hole, play hard every chance you get, and maybe you can escape your living hell and hook up with some team more suitable to your delicate sensibilities for next year.

That was awesome. What can I possibly add to this conversation when several of you (WoY, Pedro) have all ready said it perfectly?

KronoRed
08-29-2005, 03:00 AM
Thus proving once again that RFS is "The Man"

;)

Puffy
08-29-2005, 10:47 AM
Thus proving once again that RFS is "The Man"

;)

Nah, he is just a reputation *****.

:mooner:

TRF
08-29-2005, 11:15 AM
I loathe the rich aurillia signing.

Roy Tucker
08-29-2005, 11:53 AM
Dear Rich,

I'm sorry for everything I've done. Will you forgive me? Please? I'm a desperate man.

hugs and kisses,
Roy

p.s. did you get the roses I sent?

smith288
08-29-2005, 12:32 PM
Apologizing for criticizing Aurilia is letting the terrorists win.

KronoRed
08-29-2005, 02:05 PM
Nah, he is just a reputation *****.

:mooner:

Same thing :cool:

Chip R
08-29-2005, 02:18 PM
I'm sorry.

I'm sorry Rich is so bitter.
I'm sorry he whines and complains about every perceived slight.
I'm sorry he feels entitled to play every day even though two teams gave up on him last year.
I'm sorry he has no range.
I'm sorry he's so slow he makes Casey look like Deion.
I'm sorry DanO promised him he'd start at SS when he was signed.

pedro
08-29-2005, 02:23 PM
We’re so sorry Rich Aurilia
We’re so sorry if we caused you any pain
But you can only hit at home
And we believe you've got no range
We’re so sorry but we haven’t heard a thing about a trade
But if anything should happen we’ll be sure to give a ring

KronoRed
08-29-2005, 02:30 PM
Pedro :lol:

RFS62
08-29-2005, 02:34 PM
Very funny stuff, Pedro

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

westofyou
08-29-2005, 02:47 PM
We’re so sorry if we caused you any pain
But you can only hit at home
And we believe you've got no range
We’re so sorry but we haven’t heard a thing about a trade
But if anything should happen we’ll be sure to give a ring

Live a little, be a backup, sit right down (sit right down)
Get your feet up off the ground
Live a little sit right down
Live a little, be a backup, sit right down
Live a little be a backup, sit right down

flyer85
08-29-2005, 02:50 PM
Live a little, be a backup, sit right down (sit right down)
Live a little sit right down
Live a little, be a backup, sit right down
Live a little be a backup, sit right downthat is cold.:evil:

gm
08-29-2005, 03:14 PM
Fannnnns won't give Rich credit (credit)
Reds won't give him up

westofyou
08-29-2005, 03:18 PM
Fannnnns won't give Rich credit (credit)
Fannnnns won't give him love

For his 35 game burst!!!!

gm
08-29-2005, 03:34 PM
For his 35 game burst!!!!

Most folks stuck a fork in RA, when he was signed last offseason

Look at those crappy 2004 stats--he's worthless!

(Yeah, surrre)

westofyou
08-29-2005, 03:40 PM

Most who saw them handing him the keys to shortstop.

Nothing wrong with him as a utility guy.

However someone forgot to CC him that part of the message.

pedro
08-29-2005, 03:43 PM

Look at those crappy 2004 stats--he's worthless!

(Yeah, surrre)

Look at his home/away splits. They're unbelievable. Regular Dr. Judy & Mr. Homer. He has been pretty good the last 3 months but I want to know

May I have your attention please?
May I have your attention please?
Will the real Rich Aurilia please stand up?
I repeat, will the real Rich Aurilia please stand up?
We're gonna have a problem here..

Y'all act like you never seen a fluke month before
bad meat like spam , bought at the Marty store
and then started suckin a lot less than before

westofyou
08-29-2005, 03:51 PM
Y'all act like you never seen a fluke month before

Six week seasons are the juice that feed the Stynes and Lenny Harris's of the world.

markymark69
08-29-2005, 03:55 PM
My problem with Aurilia has been his attitude. There is no question he has produced, but he has run off at the mouth entirely too much for me. If he can accept his role I wouldn't mind having him back next year, but he would have to accept his role. That being said I don't think he'll want to come back unless he can play everyday.