PDA

View Full Version : A new Marty has to go thread

redsfanmia
09-07-2005, 07:33 PM
I know this is an old tired subject and there is a thread on the big boy board but after listening to part of the game today I think its time to let Marty go. I know this subject has also been broached but is it just me or is Marty extra hard on the Hispanic players on team Wily Mo and Lopez in particular. I know this is a tired subject and for that I apologize but after listening to Marty dress down Wily Mo for getting picked off I just shut off the radio because I couldnt stand it anymore. I dont know maybe its just me.

redsfan30
09-07-2005, 07:40 PM
Wily Mo should have been picked apart for being picked off first. I was waiting for someone to criticize Marty for what he said about Wily Mo. He had absolutely no business whatsoever getting picked off first base in that situation. You are down by 5 runs against a pitcher who it is nearly impossible to steal off of. What do you do? Stray too far off the bag and get nailed, that's what you do.

If Rich Aurilia had done it, people would have gone for blood.

PuffyPig
09-07-2005, 07:42 PM
Marty was right about Pena, but he should still go.

Or should we just nominate him for the Roberto Clemente Award?

CTA513
09-07-2005, 08:48 PM
Brewers pick off alot of runners with there "balk-like" pick off moves.

Chip R
09-07-2005, 09:29 PM
Wily Mo should have been picked apart for being picked off first. I was waiting for someone to criticize Marty for what he said about Wily Mo. He had absolutely no business whatsoever getting picked off first base in that situation. You are down by 5 runs against a pitcher who it is nearly impossible to steal off of. What do you do? Stray too far off the bag and get nailed, that's what you do.

If Rich Aurilia had done it, people would have gone for blood.
I agree that WMP should have been criticized for getting picked off. However, and I didn't hear him but I have a pretty good idea how he was talking, you can criticize someone but you don't have to throw a fit about it. Instead of going on a 5 minute tirade about WMP getting picked off or EE popping up on the 1st pitch or Dunn striking out, he could just say something like, "WMP made a mistake and got picked off 1st" and then move on instead of dwelling on it for the rest of the game. I have no problems with Marty "telling it like it is" but you can do that and move on.

joeberk
09-07-2005, 10:36 PM
If I had watched this team all season long I'd probably be way more frustrated than Marty is.

Unassisted
09-07-2005, 10:51 PM
Marty effectively has guaranteed lifetime employment under the current ownership. The only way he goes is if the new owners revoke his tenure.

icehole3
09-08-2005, 06:38 AM
Maybe Marty should have a trivia question every inning, that way he wont hurt anyone's feelings.

lollipopcurve
09-08-2005, 06:51 AM
Many other announcers betray an enjoyment of the game and of being at the ballpark. They're good for the game, good for promoting the game to the next generation of fans. Brennaman is a sour, over-the-hill egotist who holds the American pasttime hostage every night so he can express how important and disgusted he is.

REDREAD
09-08-2005, 09:38 AM
Yep, Marty no longer enjoys doing his job. Well maybe he enjoys reading emails about BBQ, etc and broadcasting "the Marty show", but that's not his job.

I stopped listening to the Reds about a month or so ago. I think that's the earliest point in the season I gave up on them. A large part of that is because with Joe gone, Marty has taken over the booth and now does a HORRIBLE broadcast.

IMO, there is effectively a trivia question every inning, because Marty doesn't shut up about it. It's his favorite dead air time filler.

I listened to just about every game before the allstar break, and I can't recall Marty giving us one interesting piece of information about the Reds or any of their players. Not one. Marty is at the point where a voice synthesizer on an internet game tracker would be more pleasant to listen to.

kbrake
09-08-2005, 09:44 AM
I think a week without Marty and some of you would realize what your missing and be asking for him back. Like someone else said if I had to watch this crap for 162 games year after year I would be getting upset too. And dont tell me something like well then maybe he should quit and move elsewhere because I'm sure over time he has really started to like this team. I know I would be much, much worse if I had to watch this team go 10 years without making the playoffs and had to call 30 Eric Milton starts a year.

Hap
09-08-2005, 10:09 AM
But why can't he just call the game?

zombie-a-go-go
09-08-2005, 10:19 AM
I could do without the fake news stories, that's for certain.

Sea Ray
09-08-2005, 10:24 AM
I know this is an old tired subject and there is a thread on the big boy board but after listening to part of the game today I think its time to let Marty go. I know this subject has also been broached but is it just me or is Marty extra hard on the Hispanic players on team Wily Mo and Lopez in particular. I know this is a tired subject and for that I apologize but after listening to Marty dress down Wily Mo for getting picked off I just shut off the radio because I couldnt stand it anymore. I dont know maybe its just me.

Marty is a very cynical guy but I think you are way off base by trying to make this a racial thing. Ever heard him espouse on Adam Dunn? Or Luke Hudson? Race has nothing to do with it. He go off on anyone.

westofyou
09-08-2005, 10:28 AM
I think a week without Marty and some of you would realize what your missing and be asking for him back. Like someone else said if I had to watch this crap for 162 games year after year I would be getting upset too.

Yeah Marty is the only guy out there who invests time in watching all the games, therefore HE should be tired of collecting his checks too right?

Marty lost me yesterday on his inane Email about Jeff Gordon.... someone had the nerve to tell Marty he was wrong...well you all know the rest of the story as another local announcer might say.

CTA513
09-08-2005, 10:31 AM
I just recieved this article from my brothers friends cousins nephew with half a face about Brad Pitt being probed by an alien with no feet.... later today that same alien with no feet was seen making out with Angelina Jolie just outside Great American Ballpark.

:eek:

Blimpie
09-08-2005, 10:38 AM
Yeah Marty is the only guy out there who invests time in watching all the games, therefore HE should be tired of collecting his checks too right?

Marty lost me yesterday on his inane Email about Jeff Gordon.... someone had the nerve to tell Marty he was wrong...well you all know the rest of the story as another local announcer might say.WOY, I think I caught the tail end of that one. Was that when he mentioned Jeff Gordon singing "Take Me Out.." in Chicago and telling the crowd that he loved "Wrigley Stadium?"

If so, I don't why Marty chose to read that email anyway. That was old news and IMO Marty stunk up the joint when he was asked to sing at Wrigley (three times as he reminded the audience yesterday :rolleyes: )

CTA513
09-08-2005, 10:39 AM
I just recieved this article from my brothers friends cousins nephew with half a face about Brad Pitt being probed by an alien with no feet.... later today that same alien with no feet was seen making out with Angelina Jolie just outside Great American Ballpark.

:eek:

You CANT make this kind of stuff up. ;)

westofyou
09-08-2005, 10:43 AM
telling the crowd that he loved "Wrigley Stadium

Yeah, that really bended Marty's rebar.

I wish I got paid to watch thiis crap too.

MWM
09-08-2005, 10:45 AM
I think a week without Marty and some of you would realize what your missing and be asking for him back. Like someone else said if I had to watch this crap for 162 games year after year I would be getting upset too. And dont tell me something like well then maybe he should quit and move elsewhere because I'm sure over time he has really started to like this team. I know I would be much, much worse if I had to watch this team go 10 years without making the playoffs and had to call 30 Eric Milton starts a year.

Marty is a professional announcer and he should act like a professional. The Tigers sucked for much of Ernie Harwell's tenure as well, but he never morphed into the sad shadow of his former self that Marty has become.

REDREAD
09-08-2005, 12:20 PM

I've been about a month without him, and haven't missed him at all.
I don't care if he's bored or upset with this team. He needs to act professional and call the ballgame. How hard is that? Lots of us have to put up with boring jobs for longer than 3-4 hours/day. Plus Marty only works about 1/2 of the year, he can suck it up and pretend to be interested in the game, and actually prepare for a game.

flyer85
09-08-2005, 12:32 PM
I've been about a month without him, and haven't missed him at all.I haven't listened most of the year. I turned off Reds radio after being a listener for over 30 years. Now I follow the games over the internet.

Marty has become a caricature of himself.

kbrake
09-08-2005, 01:01 PM
Maybe I just havent been around long enough most of seem to have been listning to Marty for a very long time and I'm just not that old. Marty may get off course at times but I still think he is real good at calling play by play. I just think once Marty leaves he will be missed.

gonelong
09-08-2005, 01:08 PM
I think a week without Marty and some of you would realize what your missing and be asking for him back.

I haven't listened for quite some time and I don't miss him one bit.

Joe I miss.

GL

RollyInRaleigh
09-08-2005, 01:10 PM
Red Barber would get criticized around these parts. ;)

RedsFan75
09-08-2005, 01:27 PM
I rarely listen to Reds Radio and part of it is all the side jokes in the booth, the stories, the golf... I don't miss him now, but I do miss the Marty I grew up with.

I travel a lot and listen to many radio broadcasters... Trust me there are plenty out there that are much WORSE than Marty, but there's also many pro's who are better, even for bad teams.

I just wish he'd return to the professionalism that earned him that Hall of Fame induction.

KronoRed
09-08-2005, 02:07 PM
Steve and Joe please.

Marty was great..it's past.

Blimpie
09-08-2005, 02:29 PM
Red Barber would get criticized around these parts. ;)I heard that he dyed his hair... :evil:

RollyInRaleigh
09-08-2005, 03:05 PM
I heard that he dyed his hair... :evil:

:laugh:

knuckler
09-08-2005, 04:57 PM
Steve and Joe please.

Marty was great..it's past.

I really seriously enjoyed listening to the games in Milwaukee that Steve and Joe did. The broadcasts were about baseball. Seems kinda obvious.

Hap
09-08-2005, 07:28 PM
I could do without the fake news stories, that's for certain.

I could also do without the inappropriate masturbations of his enormous ego.

Heath
09-08-2005, 07:54 PM
I could also do without the inappropriate masturbations of his enormous ego.

EDIT-Nevermind

The only thing I can say is "Be careful what you wish for"

Marty's issues go back when he was spoiled watching the BRM win every year and it spiraled downhill when Dick Wagner took over. Since then, Marty has been gathering tenure.

I listen when I can - figure its probably going to be worse when he leaves.

redsfanmia
09-08-2005, 07:59 PM
Marty does have a great abundance of self love, I think he actually thinks that people tune in to hear him talk instead of the game.

redsrule2500
09-08-2005, 09:04 PM
How would you guys like to commentate losing game after losing game, and being part of an organization that hasn't been in the playoffs in a decade?

I know I would be around where Marty is, in fact I'm surprised at how well he takes most things. He's a great commentator IMO.

Also, anyone saying he's racist is the type of person that looks for racism in everything, when really they should be looking at themselves. He's harder on Kearns than anyone.

Matt700wlw
09-08-2005, 09:38 PM
Yep, Marty no longer enjoys doing his job.

Yes he does. Trust me

Matt700wlw
09-08-2005, 09:42 PM
But why can't he just call the game?

There's so much interest when it's 14-5...

KronoRed
09-08-2005, 10:12 PM
There's so much interest when it's 14-5...

Yes there is...call the game.

Ron Madden
09-09-2005, 04:01 AM
IMHO The score of the game matters very little. Fans tune in to hear play by play.

Instead we are subject to the Marty Show.While his act may entertain all the yes men kissining his ass in the radio booth many long time listeners of Reds on radio have grown tired of it.

At one time Marty was one of the best. He Aint Anymore.

I don't by the excuse that he is tired of the losing seasons. What about us? The Fans who tune in to hear all the information we can get about the team we love... many of us to use Martys favorite line have been here before he got here and will be here when his butt is gone.
We are starved for a winner too.

Vin Scully, Ernie Harwell, Red Barber, Jack Buck and Mel Allen are one level.

Marty and Harry Carry both had the talent to reach that level but fell far short due to thinking they were more important to the listeners than the ball cub it's self.

RollyInRaleigh
09-09-2005, 08:32 AM
I would wager to say that those who are overly critical of Marty in Reds country are a small minority.

RollyInRaleigh
09-09-2005, 08:33 AM
Yes he does. Trust me

I don't doubt that one bit.

Chip R
09-09-2005, 09:04 AM
I would wager to say that those who are overly critical of Marty in Reds country are a small minority.I'd agree because we aren't being overly critical. Can Marty not be criticized now that he's in the HOF? That'd be like saying that you couldn't say anything bad about Willie Mays when he was bumbling his way around the OF for the Mets before he retired.

Cedric
09-09-2005, 09:11 AM
I get ridiculed and bashed for saying my feelings on a subject over and over because certain people don't like my view. Yet they keep saying the same thing over and over. Are they being hypocritical? Or do they just hate when someone has a different view than them?

And sometimes you guys have to realize that Marty announces for the whole Reds nation, not just the two hundred diehard baseball geeks like us.

Chip R
09-09-2005, 09:20 AM
And sometimes you guys have to realize that Marty announces for the whole Reds nation, not just the two hundred diehard baseball geeks like us.
So he's perfect? He can't do a better job?

Jharb74
09-09-2005, 09:23 AM
All you have to do is listen to a Reds away game on XM. (They have the home team announcers) Then you'll appreciate Marty.
I'm not sure the names of the Astro's announcers, but the play by play guy got so loud and obnoxious, over the slightest plays, that I had to turn the radio down.

Cedric
09-09-2005, 09:34 AM
So he's perfect? He can't do a better job?

No, he fails the 200 of us that are diehard baseball geeks. Trust me, it annoys me sometimes also. I admit that. Other than that he's the best game announcer I've ever heard.

Edited to make more sense. I hope it works :)

flyer85
09-09-2005, 09:47 AM
I grew frustrated by his inability to just call the game. Seems as if he is bored just describing the action and concentrating on "the game". I grew tired of the incessant babble on inane topics, so I voted with my feet and don't listen anymore.

REDREAD
09-09-2005, 09:50 AM
Yes he does. Trust me

I guess he loves playing golf in other cities, having his fans worship him and doing his little comedy team, but he's bored with announcing baseball.
I guess I should've been clearer.. I'm sure Marty enjoys his fame as "voice of the Reds" and all the fringe benefits, but he doesn't like calling the game anymore.

RollyInRaleigh
09-09-2005, 09:51 AM
I'd agree because we aren't being overly critical. Can Marty not be criticized now that he's in the HOF? That'd be like saying that you couldn't say anything bad about Willie Mays when he was bumbling his way around the OF for the Mets before he retired.

Anyone can do what they please, criticize or appreciate and the opinion doesn't make either any more credible than the other. I was just making a statement that I personally think that the majority of Reds fans still appreciate and enjoy Marty as the Reds radio broadcaster. I could be wrong in that assumption, although I really don't think so. Just as I was sad to see Joe Nuxhall retire, I will have the same feelings when Marty finally hangs it up. He is a big part of Reds baseball and is one of the best announcers of his time. My view of Marty is not popular with a segment of Redszone, but that doesn't really bother me. I still enjoy his calls for the most part. XM radio has allowed me to enjoy Reds broadcasts from afar, and I really appreciate being able to set on my screened porch in the evenings and listen and feel closer to my favorite team because of Marty's familiar tones. When you've been away from it for a while, you really appreciate it a lot more. He's not perfect, as most are not, but he's far superior to most that I have listened to.

flyer85
09-09-2005, 09:55 AM
He's not perfect, as most are not, but he's far superior to most that I have listened to.He is better than most other play-by-play guys. There is a reason he is in the HOF, however, his work is not nearly as good as it once was. I just want the "old Marty" back. The one who loved his job and was not seemingly bored by it.

MWM
09-09-2005, 10:06 AM
It might be a minority, but it's a growing minority. It won't be long until it's NOT a minority. Even on this site alone, most of the people who don't appreciate the current version of Marty Brenneman almost all say at one point they loved the guy. You don't see this kind of stuff with most beloved announcers.

flyer85
09-09-2005, 10:10 AM
It might be a minority, but it's a growing minority. It won't be long until it's NOT a minority. Even on this site alone, most of the people who don't appreciate the current version of Marty Brenneman almost all say at one point they loved the guy. You don't see this kind of stuff with most beloved announcers.after listening for 30 years last year was the first time I ever started turning it off. Now I don't even listen.

Chip R
09-09-2005, 10:40 AM
It might be a minority, but it's a growing minority. It won't be long until it's NOT a minority. Even on this site alone, most of the people who don't appreciate the current version of Marty Brenneman almost all say at one point they loved the guy. You don't see this kind of stuff with most beloved announcers.
Exactly. No one's saying that Marty's a bad announcer and they can't stand him. We see comments like that about other teams announcers - like jharb74 mentioned the HOU radio guy who is probably Milo Hamilton and I would agree. There aren't a lot of announcers out there that can hold a candle to Marty. All we're saying is that Marty should call the game, stop being so critical of players and actually pay attention to the facts. Marty's going to end up bitter like another tell-it-like-it-is guy, Howard Cosell.

TeamBoone
09-09-2005, 11:21 AM
Marty can perform rings around most other announcers. In fact, he's a great announcer... when he chooses to be; in fact, he can perform rings around most others. The problem is, he seems to choose not to be anymore, or at least less and less often.

I don't care who he's announcing for... the diehard fan or the casual fan. If those fans, collectively, are tuning into the Reds game, I have an idea that it's because they want to hear the game... after all, isn't that what the broadcast is for? But if they're not tuning in to get the game, then I guess they are the ones reaping the most benefit from the broadcast these days.

He can have fun, joke around, tell a few stories, promote his golf game, do interviews with boring beat writers, do his non-baseball-related trivia question/answer, complain about how long the game is (?)... whatever! But not ad nauseum nor at the expense of the game play by play... and most definitely not when the Reds are up to bat.

Though I'm sure nothing's going to change anytime soon.

I know, I know... if I don't like it turn it off. And believe me, I do when it's televised... but when it's the only source of live "coverage", I must muddle through and muddle through I do... complaining to the radio throughout the broadcast while a lot of time wondering what is going on down there on the field (Game Day helps a little, but it's so slow that most of it is history by the time it appears).

Thank you, Steve, for calling the game when it's your turn to speak.

Cedric
09-09-2005, 11:26 AM
Marty can perform rings around most other announcers. In fact, he's a great announcer... when he chooses to be; in fact, he can perform rings around most others. The problem is, he seems to choose not to be anymore, or at least less and less often.

I don't care who he's announcing for... the diehard fan or the casual fan. If those fans, collectively, are tuning into the Reds game, I have an idea that it's because they want to hear the game... after all, isn't that what the broadcast is for? But if they're not tuning in to get the game, then I guess they are the ones reaping the most benefit from the broadcast these days.

He can have fun, joke around, tell a few stories, promote his golf game, do interviews with boring beat writers, do his non-baseball-related trivia question/answer, complain about how long the game is (?)... whatever! But not ad nauseum nor at the expense of the game play by play... and most definitely not when the Reds are up to bat.

Though I'm sure nothing's going to change anytime soon.

I know, I know... if I don't like it turn it off. And believe me, I do when it's televised... but when it's the only source of live "coverage", I must muddle through and muddle through I do... complaining to the radio throughout the broadcast while a lot of time wondering what is going on down there on the field (Game Day helps a little, but it's so slow that most of it is history by the time it appears).

Thank you, Steve, for calling the game when it's your turn to speak.

People actually listen to baseball games for the overall entertainment of it. I'm sure that isn't why alot of people here do though it seems. It's not life or death.

westofyou
09-09-2005, 11:34 AM
It's not life or death.

Following the count and mentioning the score would be a nice perk though.

Roy Tucker
09-09-2005, 11:45 AM
Following the count and mentioning the score would be a nice perk though.
Someone send him a Red Barber egg timer.

Chip R
09-09-2005, 11:46 AM
People actually listen to baseball games for the overall entertainment of it. I'm sure that isn't why alot of people here do though it seems. It's not life or death.Most actually listen for the game. They want to know what's actually happening during the game. Things like who's at bat, what the score is, how many outs there are, who's pitching, if someone got a hit, crazy things like that. A lot of these people don't have the benefit of watching the game and they need to know these things. I'm sure if "gangsta trivia" or the e-mails or the golf stories went away, people would still listen. Joe should have retired a few years before he did because you couldn't tell what was going on during the game anymore. Not because of lack of effort but he just couldn't see what was going on and describe it. He'd be great for TV where you don't have to rely on the announcer to know what is going on. Marty's the same. When he's actually calling the game, he's fine. But when he isn't, he's unbearable.

CySeymour
09-09-2005, 12:09 PM
I think the one thing everyone forgets about calling a baseball game is the incredible amount of time to fill. You just want to hear play by play? It isn't that easy my friends. Look how much time there tends to be between pitches...between at-bats. Most of it isn't really that entailed...a ground ball, fielder throwns out runner. Most of it doesn't get much more exciting then that. The announcer has a ton of space to fill.

flyer85
09-09-2005, 12:18 PM
I think the one thing everyone forgets about calling a baseball game is the incredible amount of time to fill. You just want to hear play by play? It isn't that easy my friends. Look how much time there tends to be between pitches...between at-bats. Most of it isn't really that entailed...a ground ball, fielder throwns out runner. Most of it doesn't get much more exciting then that. The announcer has a ton of space to fill.fill in between the action ... not during the action. Marty often gets around to calling stuff well after it happens. The filler ought to have something to do with baseball or the players on the field. Sorry but I just don't think Marty, his life, or his non-baseball topics that he cares about are very interesting and I don't want to hear about the stuff ad nauseum.

savafan
09-09-2005, 12:42 PM
I've been listening to Marty for 20 years, and I see no difference now than I did when I first started listening to him. He has always been critical of the players, coaches, managers, fans, etc. and that is part of the reason that I like him so much. He has also always talked about things like BBQ, tomatoes, golf, etc. during those 20 years.

Chip R
09-09-2005, 12:42 PM
I think the one thing everyone forgets about calling a baseball game is the incredible amount of time to fill. You just want to hear play by play? It isn't that easy my friends. Look how much time there tends to be between pitches...between at-bats. Most of it isn't really that entailed...a ground ball, fielder throwns out runner. Most of it doesn't get much more exciting then that. The announcer has a ton of space to fill.
You're right. Not to mention the plugs they have to do for the sponsors. However, they have ample material in which to fill that time. For example, last Friday night I was driving up to Columbus. After the Reds game I happened to catch the Yankees and As game. They weren't great but they actually called the game. No e-mails, no trivia, no talk about golf games or cronies. I knew what the score was, how many outs there were, if there were any runners on base, all that good stuff you need to know when listening to a baseball game. One of them did get a bit upset when the Yankees rookie pitcher gave up about 5 runs but he didn't dwell on it for 3 innings.

You know what is ironic? The media in this town absolutely gives Marty a free pass. They wouldn't dare criticize him. And Marty is the type of broadcaster that "tells it like it is" and wouldn't put up with anyone else who isn't his family or friends or himself.

Cedric
09-09-2005, 01:12 PM
You're right. Not to mention the plugs they have to do for the sponsors. However, they have ample material in which to fill that time. For example, last Friday night I was driving up to Columbus. After the Reds game I happened to catch the Yankees and As game. They weren't great but they actually called the game. No e-mails, no trivia, no talk about golf games or cronies. I knew what the score was, how many outs there were, if there were any runners on base, all that good stuff you need to know when listening to a baseball game. One of them did get a bit upset when the Yankees rookie pitcher gave up about 5 runs but he didn't dwell on it for 3 innings.

You know what is ironic? The media in this town absolutely gives Marty a free pass. They wouldn't dare criticize him. And Marty is the type of broadcaster that "tells it like it is" and wouldn't put up with anyone else who isn't his family or friends or himself.

Maybe they don't criticize him because they realize how lucky we are. You guys are the minority and I'm sure you are fine with that. I'm going to be 80 years old and look back and tell everyone how lucky I was to have Marty and Joe announcing games. He's a huge part of your spring and summer and nothing anyone will say will ever take that away from me.
And as long as people keep making threads every day mouthing Marty I'm gonna give my opinions on it. If people wanna mouth me for that again they can, I won't stop.

westofyou
09-09-2005, 01:23 PM
Maybe they don't criticize him because they realize how lucky we are.

Yeah, we're just a bunch of cranky, no nothings.

I for one have spent a good portion of my life living in diffrent areas, listening to way more baseball on the radio then most. Marty is good, but you're mistaken to think he's not matched around the country, because I can name 10 guys from the last 20 years who are better or just as good.

This assumption that marty is a god wouldn't be so bad if he pretended to love the game half as much as I feel most of us do.

But then again it would get in the way of the Marty show... god knows what we'd have to do then.. maybe pay attention to the Reds.. who are so horrible now that Marty is getting a pass on doing his job to promote the game, mostly because he's too busy promoting Marty's opinions on the game instead.

RollyInRaleigh
09-09-2005, 03:23 PM
I've been listening to Marty for 20 years, and I see no difference now than I did when I first started listening to him. He has always been critical of the players, coaches, managers, fans, etc. and that is part of the reason that I like him so much. He has also always talked about things like BBQ, tomatoes, golf, etc. during those 20 years.

Yep.

RollyInRaleigh
09-09-2005, 03:25 PM
Maybe they don't criticize him because they realize how lucky we are. You guys are the minority and I'm sure you are fine with that. I'm going to be 80 years old and look back and tell everyone how lucky I was to have Marty and Joe announcing games. He's a huge part of your spring and summer and nothing anyone will say will ever take that away from me.
And as long as people keep making threads every day mouthing Marty I'm gonna give my opinions on it. If people wanna mouth me for that again they can, I won't stop. :beerme:

RollyInRaleigh
09-09-2005, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by westofyou:

I for one have spent a good portion of my life living in diffrent areas, listening to way more baseball on the radio then most. Marty is good, but you're mistaken to think he's not matched around the country, because I can name 10 guys from the last 20 years who are better or just as good.

I've listened to quite a few, having lived in quite a few different area's, and I sure can't think of many, although again, this is a very subjective debate. One man's pleasure is another man's pain. To say that someone is mistaken in what he likes and dislikes is a little presumptuous, don't you think?
;)

westofyou
09-09-2005, 03:44 PM
To say that someone is mistaken in what he likes and dislikes is a little presumptuous, don't you think?

Perhaps, but the other side of the coin is that I'm whack for suggesting that somethings changed in the Marty Era, because that is simply not true, everything changes, everyone changes too and no one can change that.

The Marty I don't care for is the one who ignores the game, to me the game is the meat. Everything else is gravy. I like the stories about Robin Roberts from Ralph Kiner, the stories about the Polo Grounds from Hank Greenwald, Alvin Davis stories from Dave Niehouse, chuckles from Ueker about playing in the NL in the 60's, Stories by Vin about being the only team besides the Giants on the coast in 58. Or I like comments about stats, situations, stratagy.

I just don't hear that much when I listen to the Reds on the radio.

Casey_21
09-09-2005, 04:14 PM
How would you guys like to commentate losing game after losing game, and being part of an organization that hasn't been in the playoffs in a decade?

I know I would be around where Marty is, in fact I'm surprised at how well he takes most things. He's a great commentator IMO.

Also, anyone saying he's racist is the type of person that looks for racism in everything, when really they should be looking at themselves. He's harder on Kearns than anyone.

Umm... Can I get an Amen of EVERYTHING you just said, my man?? :beerme:

OnBaseMachine
09-09-2005, 04:24 PM
Perhaps, but the other side of the coin is that I'm whack for suggesting that somethings changed in the Marty Era, because that is simply not true, everything changes, everyone changes too and no one can change that.

The Marty I don't care for is the one who ignores the game, to me the game is the meat. Everything else is gravy. I like the stories about Robin Roberts from Ralph Kiner, the stories about the Polo Grounds from Hank Greenwald, Alvin Davis stories from Dave Niehouse, chuckles from Ueker about playing in the NL in the 60's, Stories by Vin about being the only team besides the Giants on the coast in 58. Or I like comments about stats, situations, stratagy.

I just don't hear that much when I listen to the Reds on the radio.

Exactly. Instead, all we hear is how Marty's golf game is going(pretty bad IIRC), what he had for dinner, how bad Dunn, Pena and Encarnacion suck and why Sean Casey is the greatest baseball player in major league history. I have quit listening to Marty for that reason.

TeamBoone
09-09-2005, 08:06 PM
People actually listen to baseball games for the overall entertainment of it.

Exactly! And therein lies my beef... I'm not being entertained by the game.

TeamBoone
09-09-2005, 08:15 PM
Really, is it too much to ask to just have the game described as it's happening? Is that really too much to ask? That's all I want. Do whatever inbetween pitches.

Matt700wlw
09-09-2005, 08:15 PM
Exactly! And therein lies my beef... I'm not being entertained by the game.

That's not Marty's fault, he's not on the field :D

TeamBoone
09-09-2005, 09:47 PM
Everybody! I want to give kudos when due.... Marty has been WONDERFUL tonight! Not a lot of meaningless chitchat (except the interview with John Fay, but that's ok... a half inning I can take). No dwelling on the trivia question, which was actually about baseball.

I'm so happy!

WVRedsFan
09-10-2005, 02:21 AM
I've chimed on these threads a hundred times, but I've learned a lot this year since XM is carrying all the games and we have to listen (sometimes) to the home team's announcers. Here's what I think (and this is from a card-carrying Marty fan).

You have the top of the heap which includes Vin Scully and Vin Scully. I listened to him tonight and no one even compares.

Then you have the better of the rest of them. Marty ranks at the top of those. Give a listen to Milo Hamilton or Joe Buck. Horrid. Check out the Yankees. That guy is entertaining, but just so over the top it's not funny. The Pirate guys give me heartburn and then there's Uecker. Yeah, he's great, but with the same tendencies that some hate--he talks a lot about non-baseball stuff. Thom Brenneman is good, but he's out west, but a chip off the old block. The rest are simply boring.

Marty not only give the play-by-play (sometimes), but also entertains (a much needed aspect with a club so boring at times that I find it hard to concentrate). The voice is superior and you just wonder what's going to happen next. A key element in good radio. No, he sometimes doesn't give th meat as someone said, but with our pitching staff only so many ways can you say the performance sucked. Yet, when something good happens, Marty's always there. Sure, he's hard on some players and that ruffles feathers, especially if he's your favorite. God forbid we talk nasty about the chosen few who have led this club to great heights. When this team is actually winning more than losing then you have an argument. Until then, his tirades ring true, if not accurate from a statistical perspective.

The other night, Marty was discussing Eric Milton and how it was "scary" to think he would be here two more years. Something we have all said here. The next morning on XM--the morning show--Buck and Larry were quoting Marty and saying the same things. It developed into a discussion by the two former managers on what GM's would try to control their lineups. A very good discussion. Marty is on top of things like that and you can bet your behind that most announcers wouldn't go there at all. But Marty did and it added to the broadcast.

When a player or players like Luke Hudson and Eric Milton stink up the place, Marty's like your buddy in the stands discussing the how bad they are. Fade to most announcers and they are all smiles and talking about how the pitcher "had a rough night." Marty realizes that they didn't have a rough night. Like the fans, he's upset and outside of RedsZone most folks are solidly in Marty's corner.

I rue the day when he retires and we are stuck with boring, almost asleep PBP from this new generation of broadcasters who can tell you what size of underwear a player wears but cannot scream in agony when a play is totally screwed up by ineptness (or shout in ecstacy when things go right).

Having said all of that, I miss Joe Garigiola and Joe Nuxhall and guys who played the game, too. And like someone else said, it's all a matter of taste anyway. Some even like Goerge and The Creeper. And I'll never understand that in the few years I've got left.

Ron Madden
09-10-2005, 03:46 AM
Everybody! I want to give kudos when due.... Marty has been WONDERFUL tonight! Not a lot of meaningless chitchat (except the interview with John Fay, but that's ok... a half inning I can take). No dwelling on the trivia question, which was actually about baseball.

I'm so happy!

Me too TB, :thumbup:

We can only hope it last for more than one game.

Ron Madden
09-10-2005, 04:04 AM
That's not Marty's fault, he's not on the field :D

I think it's pretty silly for Marty to cast judgement on players for not being focused on thier job while he has a problem focussing on his own job.(PBP)

Marty did his best work of the season tonight, too bad it was such an ugly game.

Heath
09-10-2005, 09:07 AM
I think it's pretty silly for Marty to cast judgement on players for not being focused on thier job while he has a problem focussing on his own job.(PBP)

Marty did his best work of the season tonight, too bad it was such an ugly game.

Either Marty lurks here (RedsRadioGuy?) or Matt700wlw has been printing off the threads and giving them to Marty. :D

Maybe THAT explains his work last night! :eek:

I just go with the flow - I think he enjoys his job and likes what he is doing. I'm going to listen if I can. (can is the operative word)

big boy
09-10-2005, 12:06 PM
This tired old thread is back again? I don't understand why people who don't like Marty just don't listen and move on. It is simply entertainment...if you don't like it, don't listen. There are other options from which to choose.

westofyou
09-10-2005, 12:09 PM
This tired old thread is back again? I don't understand why people who don't like Marty just don't listen and move on. It is simply entertainment...if you don't like it, don't listen. There are other options from which to choose.

If you don't like a thread why complain about it?

Just don't read it, just move on.

Matt700wlw
09-10-2005, 06:23 PM
Either Marty lurks here (RedsRadioGuy?) or Matt700wlw has been printing off the threads and giving them to Marty. :D

Maybe THAT explains his work last night! :eek:

I just go with the flow - I think he enjoys his job and likes what he is doing. I'm going to listen if I can. (can is the operative word)

I had nothing to do with it.... :)

savafan
09-10-2005, 09:51 PM
I had nothing to do with it.... :)

So, what you are saying is that Marty lurks here. ;)

big boy
09-12-2005, 12:08 PM
If you don't like a thread why complain about it?

Just don't read it, just move on.

Nice try WOY but I did not complain about the thread...I just don't understand it and was offering advice to those who don't like Marty.

westofyou
09-12-2005, 12:14 PM
Nice try WOY but I did not complain about the thread...I just don't understand it and was offering advice to those who don't like Marty.

I know.. I was being facetious.

BTW it's good advice, I've been avoiding him for most of the year.

Little Alex
09-12-2005, 01:30 PM
People need to realize that the Marty and Joe Golden Era is gone and will never come back.

Makes me sad too. I really took it for granted in the sense that I thought they'd do it forever.

But people get old.

You can't hold Marty's broadcasts today under the same scrutiny as the gems from the past.

That time is gone. And that being said, he doesn't do too bad compared to most other sports announcers.

flyer85
09-12-2005, 01:50 PM
And that being said, he doesn't do too bad compared to most other sports announcers.he could be a lot better with more of a focus on the game itself and less on inane topics that interest him(and few others).

Bucky Furgoo
09-12-2005, 03:27 PM
No way in hell Marty should get the boot.

icehole3
09-12-2005, 03:34 PM
Mark me a Marty fan.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-9/1075688/marty_copy.gif

Ron Madden
09-13-2005, 02:53 AM
No way in hell Marty should get the boot.

Very few, if any posters are calling for Marty to lose his job.

"The Cold Hard Facts Of Life" are that many of us have listened to and grown to love Marty ever since his rookie year. Some will say the failure of the Reds to produce a winning team has turned him into a bored and bitter man.

Others might say his induction into the HOF and reputation for Tellin' It Like It Is" just may have swollen his head.

All we as listeners ask for when we follow the game on radio is play by play and some idea of what is happening on the field.

Is that too much to ask for?

RollyInRaleigh
09-13-2005, 11:05 AM
I don't have any problem following the game when Marty is at the mike, so I'm not really sure if it is or it isn't.

Bucky Furgoo
09-13-2005, 03:16 PM
I don't have any problem following the game when Marty is at the mike...

Me neither.