PDA

View Full Version : Buckeyes Vs. Longhorns........who ya got?

kbrake
09-08-2005, 01:07 PM
In the biggest non-confrence regular season game in a very, very long time these two teams go head to head in Columbus in primetime Saturday night. Just kind of wondering what everyone's got for scores and mabye a little reason why.

Bucks-38
Texas-21

And I wouldnt even have it that close if Zwick wasnt going to get to play for OSU. Figure in his 2 INT's and that should help Texas at 21. Young wont be able to run for more then 50 yards.

Danny Serafini
09-08-2005, 01:10 PM
OSU 28-20. Texas continues the tradition of choking in a big game.

15fan
09-08-2005, 01:18 PM
I don't know who I got.

But I do know what I got:

Two tickets in A Deck on the 20 yard line and a plane ticket up for the weekend.

:)

As a side note, my next door neighbors are Michigan grads. I think a little piece of them dies each time I say "Ohio State" and "Texas". :)

MWM
09-08-2005, 01:24 PM
Dude, how did you score tickets and do you know of an outlet to get an extra. I've got season tickets at Michigan Stadium on the goal line. I've been looking for someone who's willing to give me one OSU-Texas ticket for my extra ticket to the OSU - Michigan game. I've had no luck. I just don't know enough OSU people anymore.

RedsFan75
09-08-2005, 01:30 PM
I've got to agree with Danny on this one.

Lived in Austin for 7 years and had to put up with the Longhorn stuff, but the big games came around and ..... *Gasp* *Cough* DOH!

OSU - 31, UT -20

OnBaseMachine
09-08-2005, 01:43 PM
Texas 24
Ohio State 20

Go Longhorns! :p:

kbrake
09-08-2005, 01:48 PM
MWM a friend of mine just scored a ticket to Saturdays game for 28$ face value. He managed to get it off some kid we went to high school with.

Blimpie
09-08-2005, 01:57 PM
MWM a friend of mine just scored a ticket to Saturdays game for 28$ face value. He managed to get it off some kid we went to high school with.Something tells me that, perhaps, this "kid" might have skipped class the day they taught about the laws of supply and demand... ;)

SunDeck
09-08-2005, 02:02 PM
These two abbreviations/rules govern my college sports interests.

ABD- "Anybody but Duke" (basketball)
ABB- "Anybody but the Buckeyes" (football)

KronoRed
09-08-2005, 02:08 PM
Texas by 7

LincolnparkRed
09-08-2005, 02:15 PM
I am definitely leaning towards OSU with Texas not being able to get over the Oklahoma hump the last few years and with Oklahoma stinking it up the last two years at the end of the season. I am begining to believe the Big 12 is just an overhyped mess. But the season is young and maybe Texas is better then before but I wouldn't say so just yet.

Heath
09-08-2005, 02:27 PM
I'd rather face Texas later and Penn State sooner - oh well.

Ought to be fun - glad it's in Columbus this year.

Bucks win---but not by much 14-9

WVRed
09-08-2005, 02:38 PM
OSU by 3(thanks to some dirty officiating)

15fan
09-08-2005, 02:51 PM
Dude, how did you score tickets and do you know of an outlet to get an extra.

Long story short, I've got some relatives who have been season ticket holders for many many years. When the game came up on the schedule several years ago, I put the word out that I'd be interested in tickets to this game. A combination of luck, misfortune, and providence have resulted in my dad & I ending up with 2 of the tickets.

(Think the relatives who had the rest of the tickets sold them and are vacationing on some tropical island this weekend... :cool: )

OBM - An Aggie rooting for the Longhorns? Isn't that the kind of sacrilege that will get you shot in and around most parts of the Lone Star State?

Roy Tucker
09-08-2005, 02:54 PM
From the DDN...

"The Buckeyes haven't lost to a Big 12 school since a 29-28 decision against No. 3 Oklahoma in 1977, and their all-time record against the conference is 27-3-1."

I was at that game. Loads of talent. Thomas Lott, Elvis Peacock, Billy Sims Kenny King, Rod Gerald, Ron Springs, Jeff Logan, etc etc.

Uwe Von Schaumann kicks a long field goal to win it at the buzzer. OSU fans die a thousand deaths.

I like kbrake's 38-21 OSU score. Hawk vs. Young alone is worth the price of admission.

I've already told my wife to forget about doing anything Sat. night.

ochre
09-08-2005, 02:55 PM
OSU by 3(thanks to some dirty officiating)
So, they'd win by 10 without the bad officiating? :)

CTA513
09-08-2005, 02:57 PM
OSU - 66
Texas - 3

;)

Unassisted
09-08-2005, 02:58 PM
I need bragging rights down here!

Buckeyes by 7 in a low-scoring affair. I'll say 14-7.

I hope the Buckeyes don't roll 'em up or win controversially, because they have to play this team in Austin next year.

OnBaseMachine
09-08-2005, 03:02 PM
OBM - An Aggie rooting for the Longhorns? Isn't that the kind of sacrilege that will get you shot in and around most parts of the Lone Star State?

Ya know, this game is really a lose-lose situation for me. I can't stand either team but since it an out of conference game, I don't really mind Texas winning.

Now when conference play comes around, I hope Texas loses every game.

But A&M is just one of the few teams I root for among others...Texas A&M, NC State, Hawaii, Southern Cal, Louisville, Alabama...

Danny Serafini
09-08-2005, 03:03 PM
Someone ought to let the Dayton Daily News know there was no such thing as the Big 12 Conference in 1977. It's only been around for about 10 years.

Roy Tucker
09-08-2005, 03:18 PM
Someone ought to let the Dayton Daily News know there was no such thing as the Big 12 Conference in 1977. It's only been around for about 10 years.
I didn't notice that. Kinda goofy.

And I'm not sure who the 27-3-1 is against. Texas used to be in the SWC and Oklahoma was in the Big 8.

KronoRed
09-08-2005, 03:18 PM
Was the big 8 back then, and Texas wasn't in it ;)

Caseyfan21
09-08-2005, 03:28 PM
Give me a break, let's talk Ohio State/USC in Pasadena. ;)

Seriously though, Bucks by a TD at least.

traderumor
09-08-2005, 04:05 PM
I didn't notice that. Kinda goofy.

And I'm not sure who the 27-3-1 is against. Texas used to be in the SWC and Oklahoma was in the Big 8.Eh, the Big 12 is the Big 8 with 4 Texas pickups and the disbanding of the SWC, such as Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and Baylor. I'd say it isn't too much different than referring to the Big 10 historically even though Penn St. came along later.

MWM
09-08-2005, 04:18 PM
The anticipation for this game has been strong for over a year now. It's too bad college football doesn't have more out of conference marquis matchups like this one. Unfortunately, the current system discourages such games, which make college football so much more enticing.

GAC
09-08-2005, 04:57 PM
Dude, how did you score tickets and do you know of an outlet to get an extra. I've got season tickets at Michigan Stadium on the goal line. I've been looking for someone who's willing to give me one OSU-Texas ticket for my extra ticket to the OSU - Michigan game. I've had no luck. I just don't know enough OSU people anymore.

Buddy - believe me when I say I tried my butt off to try and get tix. And I know wuite a few OSU fans, friends, acquaintences too. And the only way you would get their tix for that game is to kill them and dispose of the body. :lol:

A couple told me that if you go over and tailgate, you can always get tickets. And if it's right before the game, you can get a good deal usually.

My prediction (after seeing that Texas tail back) 28-21 Texas. I'm keeping my hopes up for the Bucks; but their defense is gonna have to be on to win this game. Will missed tackles be a determining factor?

How long does Tressel hang with Zwick before going to Smith?

Anyone want to chat during this game? I'll post a thread saturday to remind anyone.

LincolnparkRed
09-08-2005, 05:14 PM
Eh, the Big 12 is the Big 8 with 4 Texas pickups and the disbanding of the SWC, such as Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and Baylor. I'd say it isn't too much different than referring to the Big 10 historically even though Penn St. came along later.

Here is the breakdown head to head for schools currently in the big 12

Baylor 2-0
Colorado 3-1
Iowa ST 0-0
Kansas 0-0
Kansas ST 1-0
Missouri 10-1-1
Nebraska 2-0
Oklahoma 1-1
Oklahoma ST 2-0
Texas 0-0
Texas A&M 4-0
Texas Tech 2-0

Caveat Emperor
09-08-2005, 05:25 PM
Longhorns: 31
Buckeyes: 17

I'm always troubled by a team with playmakers that are completely dependant on mediocre players to get the ball into his hands. Ted Ginn Jr. might be amazing, gifted and a joy to watch, but Justin Zwick and Troy Smith are none of the above.

I think Texas wins this game easily...but the good news for OSU is that it's easier to recover in the polls from a Week 2 loss than it is from a Week 10 loss.

ochre
09-08-2005, 05:40 PM
I'm always troubled by a team with playmakers that are completely dependant on mediocre players to get the ball into his hands.
Is the Texas punter that bad? :)

kbrake
09-08-2005, 05:44 PM
I think the near 400 yards of offense Smith put on Michigan last year says he can get it done, if given the chance. I can promsie you though that I am the biggest fool ever when it comes to tickets for this game. I am an OSU student and declined to get tickets way back when because get this, I wanted to save my money in case the Reds made the playoffs, now I feel like a clown, but oh well. Might as well just get over it and enjoy Saturday from my couch.

ochre
09-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Michigan can't/couldn't stop mobile quarterbacks. I wouldn't use Smith's performance as a bellwether anymore than I consider Young's similar performance against them.

jmcclain19
09-08-2005, 06:30 PM
The OSU homers on this board crack me up. Please share the kool-aid with me.

With the exception of the OU game, and Stoops really has made Texas his prison you know what, Texas was one of the best teams in the country last year.

OSU doesn't have a real QB, struggled for most of the year and has a punt returner who seemingly has turned everyone in the national media into believing that a guy who touches the ball 15 times a game is Heisman worthy just because he can do cool juke moves.

Texas romps in this one.

CrackerJack
09-08-2005, 06:41 PM

With the exception of the OU game, and Stoops really has made Texas his prison you know what, Texas was one of the best teams in the country last year.

OSU doesn't have a real QB, struggled for most of the year and has a punt returner who seemingly has turned everyone in the national media into believing that a guy who touches the ball 15 times a game is Heisman worthy just because he can do cool juke moves.

Texas romps in this one.

Cool juke moves? Ginn Jr. is the most exciting player in college football.

I think you lost all credibility with that obviously biased comment! :mooner:

Seriously though, I don't see how OSU is going to score the # of points people are predicting, but I still think they take Texas in Columbus.

OnBaseMachine
09-08-2005, 06:42 PM
Cool juke moves? Ginn Jr. is the most exciting player in college football.

Ever heard of Reggie Bush? ;)

jmcclain19
09-08-2005, 07:52 PM
I love College Football. I'll take it 10 times out of 10 over the NFL.

But I don't understand how some players become media darlings while others get ignored.

Teddy Ginn is an exciting player, but so is Devon Heston. And so is, for that matter, Miami of Ohio's return man, who's name escapes me at the moment. Yet Ginn is the love child for the current time.

Vince Young is another example. Reggie McNeal is a faster athlete, better runner, more accurate passer and piles up higher stats for an equally large Texas school. Yet he's never mentioned while Young is being touted as Mr. Future Heisman. I just don't get it.

OnBaseMachine
09-08-2005, 07:56 PM

But I don't understand how some players become media darlings while others get ignored.

Teddy Ginn is an exciting player, but so is Devon Heston. And so is, for that matter, Miami of Ohio's return man, who's name escapes me at the moment. Yet Ginn is the love child for the current time.

Vince Young is another example. Reggie McNeal is a faster athlete, better runner, more accurate passer and piles up higher stats for an equally large Texas school. Yet he's never mentioned while Young is being touted as Mr. Future Heisman. I just don't get it.

Excellent post. I agree 100% with every bit of it.

Heath
09-08-2005, 08:03 PM
Excellent post. I agree 100% with every bit of it.

Yeah, because he mentioned Reggie McNeal - :D ;)

Caveat Emperor
09-08-2005, 08:11 PM

For a lot of these players, the hype-machine just doesn't start early enough in their careers. Guys like Ginn and Young were touted as Heisman hopefuls during their frosh years.

The other problem is the disproportionate amount of sway people in the national media, especially ESPN, has in determining who gets the primetime coverage. They are limited by their resources (namely reporters and airtime) and thus make picks early and cover them extensively throughout the season ("following their progress").

OnBaseMachine
09-08-2005, 08:13 PM
That had something to do with it. :D

But seriously, like jm said, I would take college football over NFL 10 times out of 10. The NFL is boring to me and doesn't hold a candle to college in terms of exciting football.

MWM
09-08-2005, 08:18 PM
jm, I've thought texas to be one of the most over-rated teams in the country almost every year for the last 5 or so years. I thought that long before this matchup. At least that's my perception of Texas. They really haven't beaten many good teams and I think the Big 12 conference is pretty bad. Heck, Oklahoma of the last two years is one of the most over-rated teams in the history of college football.

Having said that, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Texas win the game. If I were betting money, I'd bet it on Texas, even though I voted for OSU in this poll. But that's because OSU just isn't that good, no matter how bad we want them to be. Their offense comes alive form time to time, but mostly it's just plain bad. But I don't think either team is near as good as the hype sourrounding them.

jmcclain19
09-08-2005, 10:24 PM
I just conducted an extremely scientific analysis of the upcoming Buckeyes/Longhorns matchup, using statistical simulations, I've been able to come to the conclusion that the final score will be Texas 27, Ohio State 13

IE - I just finished up an NCAA Football 2006 matchup of the two teams as Texas and played the game at the Horseshoe on All-American

Vince Young threw 220 yards and 1TD, while rushing for 50 and 2 more TDs. Selmon Young had himself 110 rushing yards on 20 carries.

Hawk ate me alive though on the strong side, he had several sacks and tackles for a loss. OSUs offense was non existent, they tried three reverses with Teddy Ginn, all were stuffed. I kicked the ball out of bounds rather than punt it to him, so he wasn't a factor.

KronoRed
09-08-2005, 10:25 PM
Play it on heisman and you'll lose by 50 ;)

I've simmed it out on Ncaa06 about 20 times and 75% end up with a close Texas win

jmcclain19
09-08-2005, 10:31 PM
jm, I've thought texas to be one of the most over-rated teams in the country almost every year for the last 5 or so years. I thought that long before this matchup. At least that's my perception of Texas. They really haven't beaten many good teams and I think the Big 12 conference is pretty bad. Heck, Oklahoma of the last two years is one of the most over-rated teams in the history of college football.

Having said that, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Texas win the game. If I were betting money, I'd bet it on Texas, even though I voted for OSU in this poll. But that's because OSU just isn't that good, no matter how bad we want them to be. Their offense comes alive form time to time, but mostly it's just plain bad. But I don't think either team is near as good as the hype sourrounding them.

heh, they didn't look too overrated as they rolled up Michigan last year in Pasadena did they? :p:

I understand what your saying, and I agree that the Big 12 as a whole is weak and overrated. But I'd give Texas some credit. They've won three of there last four bowl games, and the one loss was a one touchdown loss to WSU in the Holiday Bowl. They actually remind me of Colorado during the span of the late 90's right when Gary Barnett arrived. Power running, athletic QB's and they seem to be right in the running of the Big 12 every season.

Stewie
09-08-2005, 11:22 PM
Miami of Ohio's return man, who's name escapes me at the moment.

Ryne Robinson

I got Texas in this game, and I'll say the final will be 20-14. I just don't think Ohio State's offense is good enough. They were able to move the ball with ease last week because their o-line is in another league than Miami's d-line, it wasn't so much that Ohio State's skill positions were that great. I think for the Buckeyes to win, they are going to need the defense to get some turnovers and create some easy scores. If Texas doesn't turn the ball over too much (or at least doesn't turn it over deep in their own zone), I don't think Ohio State can create enough substantial scoring drives to win.

Caseyfan21
09-09-2005, 01:23 PM

Devon Heston and Robinson (guy from Miami) have both gotten love from the national media. The feature story in last week's ESPN the magazine was on Heston. Also, Robinson was named to the SI list of the most exciting players to watch, granted he was #11 and Ginn was #2. The reason Ginn is getting so much hype is because of what he did in high school. He won the USA Today Defensive player of the year award his senior year and he was the #2 rated player overall (behind the OK RB Peterson I believe). Ginn's hype began his senior year because he was rated so high. He could have been redshirted last year and probably still been talked about. Instead, he came out and tied the NCAA record for punt returns in a season. That's why he's getting featured over the other two. He came out and lived up to the previous rewards which garnered him "favorite child" status on the big networks like ESPN.

For players like Robinson out of Miami, they have to earn the hype because they were not Mr. All American coming out of high school. Look at Ben R. two years ago for Miami. He was the media darling for ESPN his whole junior season (last year before he left for the NFL). He didn't get nearly that much coverage his sophomore year and he still put up comparable stats. A small time player in the MAC has to put up some stats for a couple years before the major TV networks will key in on him and start giving some coverage. I don't think it's fair, it's just how the system works.

Caseyfan21
09-09-2005, 01:29 PM
Ryne Robinson

I got Texas in this game, and I'll say the final will be 20-14. I just don't think Ohio State's offense is good enough. They were able to move the ball with ease last week because their o-line is in another league than Miami's d-line, it wasn't so much that Ohio State's skill positions were that great. I think for the Buckeyes to win, they are going to need the defense to get some turnovers and create some easy scores. If Texas doesn't turn the ball over too much (or at least doesn't turn it over deep in their own zone), I don't think Ohio State can create enough substantial scoring drives to win.

If Zwick/Smith are merely adequate, OSU will win this with ease. Ginn and Holmes have proven to be big game players and if they can get the ball, they will make plays happen. Pittman is untested, so he is a major question mark. If Pittman comes to play and isn't intimidated, then OSU will do very well on offense. I think Zwick will step up (personal opinion) but if he doesn't, Smith proved to be another big game player. Look at his performance last year against Michigan and his performance at the end of last season when he stepped up and turned the OSU season around. I don't think the offense will be fazed, they have experience in big games. I also think the defense will be solid with veteran leadership from Hawk, Salley, and Carpenter.

I think the biggest question marks for OSU will be from Huston and Trapasso. Both are untested in pressure situations and how they respond will be critical. A game with two evenly matched teams will come down to field position and field goals. These were two areas the Buckeyes have owned in recent years, it pretty much allowed them to win the national championship in 2002. If OSU gets strong kicking, then I look for them to win by a TD or so.

rdiersin
09-09-2005, 02:45 PM
If Zwick/Smith are merely adequate, OSU will win this with ease. Ginn and Holmes have proven to be big game players and if they can get the ball, they will make plays happen. Pittman is untested, so he is a major question mark. If Pittman comes to play and isn't intimidated, then OSU will do very well on offense. I think Zwick will step up (personal opinion) but if he doesn't, Smith proved to be another big game player. Look at his performance last year against Michigan and his performance at the end of last season when he stepped up and turned the OSU season around. I don't think the offense will be fazed, they have experience in big games. I also think the defense will be solid with veteran leadership from Hawk, Salley, and Carpenter.

I think the biggest question marks for OSU will be from Huston and Trapasso. Both are untested in pressure situations and how they respond will be critical. A game with two evenly matched teams will come down to field position and field goals. These were two areas the Buckeyes have owned in recent years, it pretty much allowed them to win the national championship in 2002. If OSU gets strong kicking, then I look for them to win by a TD or so.

I'm sorry, but the Texas defense isn't any slouch. Smith/Zwick are going to have to be more than adequate just for OSU to have a chance, let alone win with ease. Especially with OSU's running game.

D-Man
09-09-2005, 02:53 PM
I think the Buckeyes will win, 10-9, for no other reason than they have a coach that knows how to win ugly games. Big, fat, stinking, ugly games. Whereas Cooper had the flair for big, dramatic, emotional losses (e.g., Michigan 1990, Michigan 1993, Michigan 1995, Michigan 1996, Michigan 1997, Michigan State 1998), Tressel has a knack for leading the team through excruciatingly painful wins. Kinda like a root canal with a happy ending: at the end I'm satisfied with the results, but I wish I hadn't been there throughout the whole experience.

Can anybody provide me with a 14-0 club that was WORSE than the 2002 Buckeyes? I still can't believe Tressel won a championship with that club. I haven't seen a coach use a kicker to bail him out of so many games since. . . well . . . the 2004 Patriots. Or the 2003 Patriots. How about the 2001 Patriots?

Which brings me to a philosophical query: which recent Buckeye team was the best? I think the 2002 club was far worse than either the 1995 or 1998 clubs. Those teams were absolutely loaded with talent, and steamrolled the competition. If Biakabatooobbaaaaa hadn't gotten those 313 yards in 1995, or if the Bucks played Michigan State in week one instead of week 10, we might be talking about a dynasty.

MWM
09-09-2005, 02:59 PM
I think the 1998 club was the best of the bunch, with 95 a close second. It's scary how loaded those two teams were. Actually, I think both of those two teams were the best teams in the country that year by a decent margin. If the guy covering Tai Streets doesn't slip in 95 or if the BUckeyes wouldn't have fallen asleep against MSU after taking a big early lead, the 2002 team might have been the 3rd National Championship in the past decade. The MSU loss was the most depressig Buckeye loss I can remember in my lifetime.

ochre
09-09-2005, 03:05 PM
heh, they didn't look too overrated as they rolled up Michigan last year in Pasadena did they? :p:

what was the margin of victory in that "roll up" again?

Oh, that's right. They won by one.

Sabo Fan
09-09-2005, 03:06 PM

Texas romps in this one.

Well said.

I for one despise OSU. I used to be a Buckeye fan but after they choked at home to Michigan State several years ago (the year they beat Arizona State in the Rose Bowl) I decided that I had enough heartbreak in my life sports-wise, what with being a Reds and Viking fan.

What drives me insane are the people who look at me in amazement when they find out I'm from Ohio (about 45 minutes from Columbus) and tell them I don't like Ohio State. It just seems to shock people. The way I see it, I go to a school that has a Division I football team (Miami University), so I root for them.

I was at the OSU-Miami game last week, and while the Buckeyes did pretty much dominate the game, I wasn't impressed with Ginn. He had one nice move on the day on his TD reception, but other than that there was way too much dancing about for my taste. Too much flash and not enough substance. The worst part about the game is that Miami tried to be something it isn't, a running team. Don't understand why they called a lot of the plays they did. Not saying Miami would have won, but that the outcome would have been a bit closer.

Either way, I wasn't impressed with OSU as a team. Pittman looked good, but the Bucks offensive line was so much bigger than the Miami defensive line. They'll have a much harder time with Texas and a bigger defensive line. Add in the running threat Young provides along with a nice looking group of running backs and you have some problems if you're OSU. Don't know anything about Texas' wide recievers, but Miami's Martin Nance had a pretty nice game against those OSU corners and I think that's the weak spot on their defense. If they can create a few mismatches Texas can have some big plays in the passing game.

I just don't see OSU being able to generate a lot of offense in this one. Take away Ginn downfield and you make Zwick or Smith beat you with the other wideouts (who aren't all that impressive to me) or force a young back in Pittman to carry the load. Either way I see a Texas win, 31-20.

D-Man
09-09-2005, 03:11 PM
I think the 1998 club was the best of the bunch, with 95 a close second. It's scary how loaded those two teams were. Actually, I think both of those two teams were the best teams in the country that year by a decent margin. If the guy covering Tai Streets doesn't slip in 95 or if the BUckeyes wouldn't have fallen asleep against MSU after taking a big early lead, the 2002 team might have been the 3rd National Championship in the past decade. The MSU loss was the most depressig Buckeye loss I can remember in my lifetime.

Yep, I forgot about Shawn Springs's phantom slip in 1995, alongside Biakabahookah's performance.

And I agree that the 1998 club was probably the best, and that Michigan State loss was THE most painful one of the Cooper era. I was all alone in a bar watching the game on GamePlan with a bartender (sad, but true since I don't get OSU games in my corner of the country). The bartender made all sorts of wisecracks about how glad he was that OSU lost. That loss never should've happened.

What made the 1995 team great was how it manhandled its lesser opponents: I recall that it scored 50+ points a half-dozen times or more.

captainmorgan07
09-09-2005, 03:45 PM
i'll go out on a limb and say the buckeyes by 17 34-17 the d shuts down vince young and both zwick and smith get time at qb and both do very well

Reds/Flyers Fan
09-10-2005, 11:09 AM
Can anybody provide me with a 14-0 club that was WORSE than the 2002 Buckeyes?

Who says National Championship teams have to win every game 56-7? One of the most exciting things about that season were the games were so great. How can anyone call those games vs. UC, Purdue, Illinois, Penn St., Wisky and scUM that year "boring"? That's what college football should be about, not pounding out lopsided scores. In fact, I think it was the dramatics of the UC game that prepped the Buckeyes for the later tight games. And by the time they got to scUM and Miami, I really believe that this team knew they would find a way to win, no matter what.

As for tonight:

* OSU has never lost a night game at Ohio Stadium

* OSU hasn't lost to a non-conference opponent at home since 1990 (USC)

* Jim Tressel doesn't often lose big games, Mack Brown does

* sorry Longhorn fans, this isn't Baylor or Kansas - this is the Horseshoe, the Big 10 and Ohio State

Former Centerville Elk AJ Hawk will unload on Young a couple of times tonight and force at least one fumble. Teddy Ginn and Santonio Holmes will find the end zone and the Buckeyes will celebrate.

Buckeyes 30
cattle 17

GO BUCKS!!!

Reds/Flyers Fan
09-10-2005, 11:13 AM
Well said.

I for one despise OSU. I used to be a Buckeye fan but after they choked at home to Michigan State several years ago (the year they beat Arizona State in the Rose Bowl) I decided that I had enough heartbreak in my life sports-wise, what with being a Reds and Viking fan.

What a joke. If one loss turned you from being a fan to despising a program, you never were a fan to begin with. And it looks like you jumped ship a little early, what with that NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP won in 2002. :cool:

Sabo Fan
09-10-2005, 12:41 PM
What a joke. If one loss turned you from being a fan to despising a program, you never were a fan to begin with. And it looks like you jumped ship a little early, what with that NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP won in 2002. :cool:

Oh, the despising part didn't start until a few years later when I became disgusted with the arrogance of OSU fans. You're probably right though, I wasn't much of a fan because I felt no real connection to the school. I didn't go there, didn't have any family or friends who went there at the time either. Plus, as I said, I go to a school who has a Division I football program so I chose to root for them because I feel like I have a vested interest in the team.

You have done a beautiful job of illustrating one of my points about OSU. I think it's become a defense mechanism now that whenever a Buckeye fan feels threatened, they immediately remind everyone in the general vicinity that they won a national championship a few years back. That's wonderful and all, but I'm tired of hearing about it. Believe it or not, a national championship does not trump all. You would think the the rash of recent academic and conduct indiscressions would be cause for a little less bragging, arrogance, etc. However, it seems that most choose to simply ignore them and pretend they didn't happen.

Caseyfan21
09-10-2005, 04:15 PM
You have done a beautiful job of illustrating one of my points about OSU. I think it's become a defense mechanism now that whenever a Buckeye fan feels threatened, they immediately remind everyone in the general vicinity that they won a national championship a few years back. That's wonderful and all, but I'm tired of hearing about it. Believe it or not, a national championship does not trump all. You would think the the rash of recent academic and conduct indiscressions would be cause for a little less bragging, arrogance, etc. However, it seems that most choose to simply ignore them and pretend they didn't happen.

There have been a few problems with the team, but what big time Div 1 college doesn't have incidents? Remember, all of the recent investigations have to do with the basketball team, not the football team. To remind you, the NCAA came in and investigated Mo Clarrett's claims and said the only violation in the football progam was Troy Smith's accepting of money last year.

And why shouldn't Buckeye fans bring up the national championship? It's our first title since 1968 so it's not like we win one every couple years. Try telling a Boston Red Sox fan that a title doesn't trump all.

jmcclain19
09-10-2005, 04:26 PM
There have been a few problems with the team, but what big time Div 1 college doesn't have incidents? Remember, all of the recent investigations have to do with the basketball team, not the football team. To remind you, the NCAA came in and investigated Mo Clarrett's claims and said the only violation in the football progam was Troy Smith's accepting of money last year.

And why shouldn't Buckeye fans bring up the national championship? It's our first title since 1968 so it's not like we win one every couple years. Try telling a Boston Red Sox fan that a title doesn't trump all.

To be fair, Ohio State is one of only a handful of schools that have been so heavily investigated by the NCAA in the last few years.

Since Tressel has started, the NCAA has taken up residence on campus, and they keep finding a reason not to leave.

That means something.

Sabo Fan
09-10-2005, 05:14 PM
To be fair, Ohio State is one of only a handful of schools that have been so heavily investigated by the NCAA in the last few years.

Since Tressel has started, the NCAA has taken up residence on campus, and they keep finding a reason not to leave.

That means something.

Good point. For all the criticism that John Cooper took, I don't recall OSU football being investigated by the NCAA during his tenure. Since Tressel took over it seems that there have been several problems. Cooper may have had some less-than-upstanding recruits, but the NCAA wasn't sniffing around either. Maybe there were problems and they just kept things quiet, but either way it doesn't seem like Tressel is exactly living up to his "clean program" reputation.

Oh, I'm not saying that a national championship isn't something to brag about. What I am saying is that it doesn't insulate a program from all the other things that go on within. It is not a get out of jail free card. The Red Sox have the whole year to brag and be obnoxious about their title because they haven't been de-throned yet. The Buckeyes won in 2002. That's three years ago. Time to focus on the present.

kbrake
09-10-2005, 06:39 PM
I'll do my talking in a few hours

OnBaseMachine
09-10-2005, 06:46 PM

That means something.

IIRC, Tressel was also caught cheating at Youngstown State. Someone correct me on that if I'm wrong.