PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth

GAC
09-10-2005, 07:29 AM
Anyone been to this website? My kid told me about it the other day. Type in an address and zoom right in.

http://earth.google.com/

MrCinatit
09-10-2005, 07:56 AM
google earth is one of my favorite programs.
i'm a huge SimCity 4 fan...not because of the ability to build cities, but the ability to build realistic terrains (thanks to some very nice modifications).
Goggle Earth has helped me further this, by letting me study various terrains from various vantage points and different zooms. yes, it is fun zooming in on someone's house...but i got a kick out of being able to take a virtual tour of Monument Valley and Devil's Tower and The Grand Canyon and Mt. St. Helens and....

westofyou
09-12-2005, 10:39 AM
This is one cool program, I was able to find my house in school from 6th grade in Michigan and check out the layout of Tiger Stadium compared to Commerica... plus it's GREAT way to check out Fire Roads (that's an unpaved road in wilderness for you folks surrounded by farms) It's also a great way to look at Golf Courses too... too bad I don't golf.

TeamCasey
09-12-2005, 10:50 AM
Can you tell how old an image is?

westofyou
09-12-2005, 10:52 AM
Can you tell how old an image is?

Not really, if you know of recent construction (like all of NW Cincinnati) you might find some things that are different.

paintmered
09-12-2005, 11:04 AM
Looking at UC's campus, those were taken in Septemberish 2004.

Blimpie
09-12-2005, 11:18 AM
Anyone been to this website? My kid told me about it the other day. Type in an address and zoom right in.

http://earth.google.com/Well, thanks alot GAC. Now, I might as well just quit work completely.... ;)

Apparently, these images are somewhat dated on the Free Trial. I know that it is showing my backyard circa 2002-2003. Still, it is way cool...

09-12-2005, 12:48 PM
That is cool- but are the pictures supposed to be blurred at near max zoom? Or is it my system? I zoomed in on my house and the one I grew up in and I could find them, but they were blurred.

paintmered
09-12-2005, 01:07 PM
That is cool- but are the pictures supposed to be blurred at near max zoom? Or is it my system? I zoomed in on my house and the one I grew up in and I could find them, but they were blurred.

Different areas were photographed at different resolutions. It might just happen that your area isn't at the highest.

TeamCasey
09-12-2005, 01:17 PM
When I first read this, I thought you guys were talking about Google Maps. I just downloaded this ........ wicked cool!

KronoRed
09-12-2005, 01:39 PM
I found my house

I can make out my car

HEY! those rats down the street put in a pool :rant:

paintmered
09-12-2005, 01:44 PM
I found my truck too :)

GAC
09-12-2005, 01:48 PM
I'm keeping my curtains closed you perverts. ;)

TeamMorris
09-12-2005, 02:08 PM
I can't get this to work. Says can't connect...I am on line! I am always on line :dunno:

Joseph
09-12-2005, 02:19 PM
There are so many trees where I live that it's basically all I can see, but it's still awesome.

TeamCasey
09-12-2005, 02:27 PM
There are so many trees where I live that it's basically all I can see, but it's still awesome.

You can't see our house either, but I do have a better idea of how big the woods are where we live. I really wasn't sure.

TeamCasey
09-12-2005, 02:33 PM
Beast or Son of Beast?

RBA
09-12-2005, 02:43 PM
What''s really cool is it is world wide. I can look at places I lived all over the world. But the bad part is that it's just another tool for terrorist/bad guys to use. I can even make out where I lived in Iraq and it has handy grid coordinates.

MWM
09-12-2005, 02:58 PM
Ann Arbor is just a blur. It won't focus in on this area. Also, I wanted to get a closer look at Utah and Omaha beach, which you would think would be pretty clear, and it won't focus in there either. So it hasn't reached everywhere yet.

But you can see the gazebo in the backyard and the red car in the driveway of my old house.

Blimpie
09-12-2005, 04:43 PM
I'm keeping my curtains closed you perverts. ;)Do you mind if I borrow that book that is on your coffee table right now? Just nod your head if it is okay..... :evil:

TeamMorris
09-12-2005, 09:34 PM
Beast or Son of Beast?

Son of.

NoCalRed
09-12-2005, 11:28 PM
Sounds alot like a program I have been running for a while now called world wind (http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/) it is a NASA program that allows you to not only observe different terrains, but also see weather patterns.

Also if anyone is interested there is also a similar program that is used for observation of space. It allows you to zoom in on planets, stars, meteors or I think even space craft. It can be a good tool also for ametuer astronmers as it runs in real time and you can see what the your night time sky looks like. Here it is celestia (http://www.shatters.net/celestia/). Must add on here this program is not supported by NASA.

jhiller21
09-13-2005, 04:39 AM
My house isn't even built yet on Google Earth... My neighbors seem to be enjoying the construction equipment.

dman
09-13-2005, 05:54 AM
I just zoomed in on Rickenbacker, and you can see exactly how the tankers are parked on the ramps. I haven't tried Springfield-Beckley yet to see if it shows the F-16's parked in their spaces. I could easily see this as a tool that could be used to do us harm. I know the pictures are dated, but at Rickenbacker our airplanes are still parked as you see them in the image.

MrCinatit
09-13-2005, 06:55 AM
Piqua is largely a blur...which actually is rather accurate.

BoydsOfSummer
09-13-2005, 09:07 AM
The 2005 Reds are now in their positions at Great American. :D

Caveat Emperor
09-13-2005, 09:33 AM
This program is great.

Incidentally, it appears that, at the time of photography, the Tulane University Baseball team was having B.P. :laugh:

Unassisted
09-13-2005, 09:35 AM
Photo of my neighborhood is a couple of years old, but it has plenty of detail.

This thing sure does use all the horsepower of my vintage PC, though. :D

TeamMorris
09-13-2005, 10:45 AM
I still can't get it to work for me!

paintmered
09-13-2005, 10:48 AM
Piqua is largely a blur...which actually is rather accurate.

:laugh: :laugh:

Caveat Emperor
09-13-2005, 12:21 PM
I still can't get it to work for me!

When I started it, it told me to run the program with Direct-X, but whenever I tried to use the program, all I saw was a big green blur.

I switched over to Open-GL and haven't had any problems.

TeamCasey
09-13-2005, 12:37 PM
I'm looking down in volcanoes and stuff.

You guys shouldn't have showed me this.

It's habit forming.

TeamCasey
09-13-2005, 12:55 PM
It does some weird stuff. I keep trying to look up things in Hawaii and it keeps taking my to Kansas.

BuckU
09-13-2005, 01:06 PM
Wow! I have been on here for hours this morning. I have a list of places I want to look up. It's like internet crack...

*logs back on to Google earth*

ghettochild
09-13-2005, 01:10 PM
i swear google is going to take over the earth in 2013, or sooner! they've already got a IM service going and a OS in the works.

** Edited by an administrator - please do not discuss illegal software on this forum **

KronoRed
09-13-2005, 01:48 PM
I welcome the google overlords.

KronoRed
09-13-2005, 01:48 PM
I'm looking down in volcanoes and stuff.

You guys shouldn't have showed me this.

It's habit forming.

A fun game I saw around was post a picture and then guess what it is :D

BuckU
09-13-2005, 02:15 PM
Notes on interest...Pro Player Stadium has Iowa in one of the end zones, not sure if thats a bowl game or what, I didn't think any teams played bowl games in PPS. Also, Soldier Field is under renovation so I think this was taken late 2003 (the season the Bears played in the Illinois stadium)

...more fun facts to come...

KronoRed
09-13-2005, 02:26 PM
Iowa played in the Orange bowl (at PPS) on 1/2/2003

BuckU
09-13-2005, 02:29 PM
Isn't the Orange Bowl played in the Orange Bowl?

KronoRed
09-13-2005, 02:35 PM
Not for 9 years now..the Orange bowl is a toilet in a bad part of town

SunDeck
09-13-2005, 05:05 PM
I know the pictures are dated, but at Rickenbacker our airplanes are still parked as you see them in the image.

And you're concerned about how this program can be used to do harm? :evil:

SunDeck
09-13-2005, 05:07 PM
It does some weird stuff. I keep trying to look up things in Hawaii and it keeps taking my to Kansas.

That's because Kansas sucks.

KronoRed
09-13-2005, 06:35 PM
I like to go to all the towns and locate the sports stadiums :D

ochre
09-13-2005, 06:44 PM
I like to go to all the towns and locate the sports stadiums :D
Here's where I watched my first live, kill the bull, bullfight:

BoydsOfSummer
09-13-2005, 08:06 PM
Great American and PBS needed some redecorating.

ochre
09-13-2005, 10:26 PM
email it to yourself and you won't have to do the screen capture thing :)

Blimpie
09-14-2005, 11:09 AM
Not for 9 years now..the Orange bowl is a toilet in a bad part of townAs a veteran of many, many football games and concerts that were held at the Orange Bowl--I can honestly say that you are downplaying this to some extent.

Stories for me too numerous to name, but one of my favorites involved me trying to leave after the Pink Floyd concert there in 1987. Orange Bowl has no parking, so my roommate and I had to pay $ 10 to park in the yard of one of the locals. After the concert, we learned that Juan Nightstand "oversold" his postage stamp of a yard and we were trapped in against his....get this....chicken coops by about three other cars belonging to concert-goers.

We waited until about 1:30 am in Juan's yard for these people to return and move their cars. Two drivers came, but the third was MIA. We had no choice but to solicit help from the locals and move this car by force onto the sidewalk (luckily it was an MGB).

All of this set the mood nicely for the five hour drive back to Gainesville where I arrived just in time to take my Accounting mid-term exam at 9:00am....Ah, the Orange Bowl, good times indeed!

westofyou
09-14-2005, 11:17 AM
All of this set the mood nicely for the five hour drive back to Gainesville where I arrived just in time to take my Accounting mid-term exam at 9:00am....Ah, the Orange Bowl, good times indeed!

dream unthreatened by the morning light
Could blow this soul right through the roof of the night
There's no sensation to compare with this
Suspended animation, A state of bliss
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earth-bound misfit, I

Blimpie
09-14-2005, 11:37 AM
dream unthreatened by the morning light
Could blow this soul right through the roof of the night
There's no sensation to compare with this
Suspended animation, A state of bliss
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earth-bound misfit, IWOY, funny that you should quote those particular lyrics...it was, afterall, the "Momentary Lapse of Reason" tour. ;)

KronoRed
09-14-2005, 02:20 PM
Sorry Blimbie but I'm laughing like mad at your story :lol:

Did you pass? :D

Blimpie
09-14-2005, 03:17 PM
Sorry Blimbie but I'm laughing like mad at your story :lol:

Did you pass? :DI guess you could say that I passed the test but my efforts didn't exactly jeapordize "the curve" for anyone else in the class. It was a great concert, though.... :rockband:

Caveat Emperor
09-14-2005, 04:25 PM
For further amusement...

It appears that there is a football game going on in Seattle at their new stadium. The Seahawks appear to be on defense, with the visiting team pinned back on their own goalline.

This program is addicting.

paintmered
09-14-2005, 04:35 PM
For further amusement...

It appears that there is a football game going on in Seattle at their new stadium. The Seahawks appear to be on defense, with the visiting team pinned back on their own goalline.

This program is addicting.

I think it is Washington St. playing. Their logo is painted on midfield.

Really cool stuff though.

RBA
03-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Google earth is an online application which build by Google. It is specially to view earth map on internet which increase well interest of peoples. It work on satellite which make perfect view of map.

Since the thread is 7 years old, I think most people know what Google Earth is about.

Boss-Hog
03-29-2012, 01:15 PM
Since the thread is 7 years old, I think most people know what Google Earth is about.

Spam bot

Dom Heffner
03-29-2012, 08:33 PM
I always fall for this. I'm reading twenty posts in and am thinking you guys were pretty impressed over an old hat lol...