PDA

View Full Version : Rojo reporting from London

Rojo
09-11-2005, 12:22 PM
Forgive me for not posting more (I'm sure most of you will quite easily). I'm on a long-overdue three-week trip through Europe. I arrived in London last night and found my way to an internet cafe today. I haven't talked to many people yet but I haven't experienced any rudeness yet. (My friends advised saying I was Canadian). But its 9/11 and I did see an English girl give the evil eye to a muslim woman. The Borders Books here did have a table display of anti-American themed books. Like it or not, most of the rest of the world thinks of us as Imperialists.

Ta,
Rojo

GAC
09-11-2005, 12:26 PM
Get a pic of Abbey Roads for me! :p:

macro
09-11-2005, 04:23 PM
Like it or not, most of the rest of the world thinks of us as Imperialists.

That reputation is deserved.

REDREAD
09-11-2005, 11:12 PM
Have fun there. I think as long as you don't act like a jerk, most people will assume you're not an American :lol:

wally post
09-11-2005, 11:44 PM
enjoy Rojo. Watch out for those mushy peas :D
Great Indian food in London, though!

Rojo
09-12-2005, 05:19 AM
Found myself walking by an enormous modern building in Mayfair (where the werewolf has lately been seen). It was barricaded by barbed-wire, then high fence then motor barricade. The outside was patrolled by what-I-assumed-to-be police with automatic weapons. You guessed it, it was the American Embassy. Kinda sad.

GAC
09-12-2005, 06:54 AM
Like it or not, most of the rest of the world thinks of us as Imperialists.

One group of imperialists calling others imperialists. :lol:

Blimpie
09-12-2005, 10:11 AM
Found myself walking by an enormous modern building in Mayfair (where the werewolf has lately been seen). It was barricaded by barbed-wire, then high fence then motor barricade. The outside was patrolled by what-I-assumed-to-be police with automatic weapons. You guessed it, it was the American Embassy. Kinda sad.Whatever you do, don't walk along the moors...stay away from the moors. ;)

Crash Davis
09-12-2005, 12:05 PM
One group of imperialists calling others imperialists. :lol:

Good point. I hope he's not talking about the British calling us imperialist. Victoria's empire was the most extensive in history.

Red Thunder
09-13-2005, 07:02 AM
(My friends advised saying I was Canadian). But its 9/11 and I did see an English girl give the evil eye to a muslim woman. The Borders Books here did have a table display of anti-American themed books. Like it or not, most of the rest of the world thinks of us as Imperialists.

What do you want to achieve by painting such an incomplete and subjective picture? For me it seems that you are just picking any hint you can find to strengthen your irrational personal belief that Americans are not welcome in Europe, imperialists etc. etc. Do you feel better by putting yourself in some kind of casualty role? I strongly disagree with the picture you are trying to present your countrymen.

Or you are just making it easy by putting citizens of an European country in one big pot and putting an anti-american label on them all.... despite probably not even having spoken to even a handfull of people. You might be suprised that there are Europeans who disagree with US politics, yet still have high sympathies for the US and their people.

I'm living in Germany and have never felt hate anti-american sentiments against Americans, not even during the Iraq war which many Germans found to be unjustified. On the other hand our government send food rations as well as technical equipment for drinking-water supply to help out in New Orleans. And from my knowledge a lot of other countries offered their help as well. People do care here for America, although they might not have much positive to say about your president - but there is nothing wrong with that in a democracy. Stating that your friends advised you to say you are Canadian made me laugh, because it's so ridiculous. You are visting Great Britain, and not Iran.

Betterread
09-13-2005, 01:31 PM
What do you want to achieve by painting such an incomplete and subjective picture? For me it seems that you are just picking any hint you can find to strengthen your irrational personal belief that Americans are not welcome in Europe, imperialists etc. etc. Do you feel better by putting yourself in some kind of casualty role? I strongly disagree with the picture you are trying to present your countrymen.

Or you are just making it easy by putting citizens of an European country in one big pot and putting an anti-american label on them all.... despite probably not even having spoken to even a handfull of people. You might be suprised that there are Europeans who disagree with US politics, yet still have high sympathies for the US and their people.

I'm living in Germany and have never felt hate anti-american sentiments against Americans, not even during the Iraq war which many Germans found to be unjustified. On the other hand our government send food rations as well as technical equipment for drinking-water supply to help out in New Orleans. And from my knowledge a lot of other countries offered their help as well. People do care here for America, although they might not have much positive to say about your president - but there is nothing wrong with that in a democracy. Stating that your friends advised you to say you are Canadian made me laugh, because it's so ridiculous. You are visting Great Britain, and not Iran.

Good post. I have not encountered any discrimination as an American traveling in continental Europe and the UK. I feel no need to hide my citizenship either. In fact, if you look around, many europeans wear clothing with USA logos, US sports teams and names of places in our country. I have the impression that many people I meet are fascinated with the US and are very curious about our culture and county. Perhaps Rojo has just run into some judgmental people. A few of those people can be found in every country.