PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Obscure Song

Jaycint
09-15-2005, 07:03 PM
I was moping around the office today mourning the loss of political and religious threads while my employers were paying me to work when I came up with what I thought was a good thread idea.

I was watching Silence of the Lambs the other night when the infamous cross dressing scene came on where the serial killer is putting on his makeup etc in front of the mirror and I was thinking that the song playing in the background was really cool. It is called Goodbye Horses by a group called Q Lazaruz by the way. At any rate, I was thinking that had it had a more mainstream musical release it could have been a real hit.

So now I pose the question to you fellow RZers, what are some of your favorite songs that are buried in obscurity? Were they featured in a movie? Were they just the product of lesser known band that didn't get the exposure they should have? I'm looking forward to some of your responses so I can dig up some of these hidden gems. :rockband:

Falls City Beer
09-15-2005, 07:07 PM
"Would you **** me? I'd **** me."

Jaycint
09-15-2005, 07:10 PM
"Would you **** me? I'd **** me."

Haha, fantastic line FCB, one of the all time greats.

Falls City Beer
09-15-2005, 07:17 PM
Probably the greatest cover of all time is totally unheralded: the 13th Floor Elevators's version of Bob Dylan's "Baby Blue." It's better than Dylan's.

pedro
09-15-2005, 07:19 PM
"George" by Appalachian Death Ride

westofyou
09-15-2005, 07:38 PM
one more love song - pack of fools

newgrass revival

Roy Tucker
09-15-2005, 07:45 PM
Mama Hated Diesels - Commander Cody and his Lost Planet Airmen

Heard it on the jukebox at the Crystal Pistol in Fairborn.

KittyDuran
09-15-2005, 08:02 PM
Sorry, I have more than one... :)

"We Can Get Together" by Icehouse [great song and one of the first great videos I would see on MTV]

"The Heartland" by The The

"(Wearing Down) Like A Wheel" by Elliot Easton

"Spellbound" by Siouxsie & The Banshees [another great video]

Falls City Beer
09-15-2005, 08:05 PM
"Spellbound" by Siouxsie & The Banshees [another great video]

I remember the "Spellbound" video--"running" through the "woods." Good stuff.

Another great video was "Hungry Wolf" by X--cool fake bats hanging from the fake cave ceiling.

westofyou
09-15-2005, 08:09 PM
the 13th Floor Elevators's

You're gonna miss me...

Here's a medley for you

13th floor elevator into chocolate watchband into moby grape into the peanut butter conspricy into the electric prunes.

Far out.

Jaycint
09-15-2005, 08:11 PM
You're gonna miss me...

Here's a medley for you

13th floor elevator into chocolate watchband into moby grape into the peanut butter conspricy into the electric prunes.

Far out.

LOL, I have no idea what that means but it sounds really groovy. Do I have your permission to just spit out that sentence at the next female I meet at a bar? :)

westofyou
09-15-2005, 08:19 PM
LOL, I have no idea what that means but it sounds really groovy. Do I have your permission to just spit out that sentence at the next female I meet at a bar? :)

Sure... then tell her that Thunderclap Newman was misunderstood.

Jaycint
09-15-2005, 08:20 PM
Sure... then tell her that Thunderclap Newman was misunderstood.

Haha, I certainly will. Google time...

wally post
09-15-2005, 08:40 PM
Spirit In The Sky by Norman Greenbaum :D Great feel.

Caveat Emperor
09-15-2005, 08:53 PM
My friend/fraternity brother Dan and I used to host a radio show from 12-2 on WTUL, the Tulane University student radio station. We skipped the meeting handing out timeslots, so we got the worst one; 12-2am was assigned as the "Punk Rock Block," and neither of us knew much about punk beyond the Irish punk that I listen to and the one Sex Pistols CD that he had.

So, we were scouring for something to play and came across a band called "The Dick Nixons" (locally, from Louisiana) and they had a song on their CD called Tricky Dick Was a Rock 'N Rolla" which we played. It was awful, but it became our theme song for the rest of the year.

I never got around to ripping it before I left, so I don't have a copy of the song. It exists only in my mind as a memory of the radio show: "Dan Crystal and the Angry Wookie".

RFS62
09-15-2005, 09:00 PM
From back when Randy Newman was great.

Louisiana 1927

What has happened down here is the winds have changed
Clouds roll in from the north and it started to rain
Rained real hard and it rained for a real long time
Six feet of water in the streets of Evangeline

The river rose all day
The river rose all night
Some people got lost in the flood
Some people got away alright
The river have busted through clear down to Plaquemines
Six feet of water in the streets of Evangelne

Louisiana, Louisiana
They're tyrin' to wash us away
They're tryin' to wash us away
Louisiana, Louisiana

President Coolidge came down in a railroad train
With a little fat man with a note-pad in his hand
The President say, "Little fat man isn't it a shame what the river has done
To this poor crackers land."

Louisiana, Louisiana
Louisiana, Louisiana

IowaRed
09-15-2005, 09:52 PM
Not sure how obscure all of these are but they are all great songs from a few years ago

Flag Day-The Housemartins
Pure-The Lightning Seeds
Miss Misery-Elliot Smith
AEIOU Sometimes Y-EBN OZN
Compulsion-Martin L. Gore
Just Another Day & Only A Lad-Oingo Boingo
Join in the Chant & Control I'm Here-Nitzer Ebb
Headhunter & Welcome to Paradise-Front 242

IowaRed
09-15-2005, 09:54 PM
forgot this one

Love and Pride-King

Crash Davis
09-15-2005, 10:02 PM
"Once Upon a Time" or "California" by Robert Bradley's Blackwater Surprise
http://www.bellybone.net/rbbs_self.cgi#Once

"No Children" by the Mountaingoats

No Children

I hope that our few remaining friends
Give up on trying to save us
I hope we come up with a failsafe plot
To piss off the dumb few that forgave us
I hope the fences we mended
Fall down beneath their own weight
And I hope we hang on past the last exit
I hope it's already too late
And I hope the junkyard a few blocks from here
Someday burns down
And I hope the rising black smoke carries me far away
And I never come back to this town
Again in my life
I hope I lie
And tell everyone you were a good wife
And I hope you die
I hope we both die

I hope I cut myself shaving tomorrow
I hope it bleeds all day long
Our friends say it's darkest before the sun rises
We're pretty sure they're all wrong
I hope it stays dark forever
I hope the worst isn't over
And I hope you blink before I do
Yeah I hope I never get sober
And I hope when you think of me years down the line
You can't find one good thing to say
And I'd hope that if I found the strength to walk out
You'd stay the hell out of my way
I am drowning
There is no sign of land
You are coming down with me
Hand in unlovable hand
And I hope you die
I hope we both die

alex trevino
09-15-2005, 10:15 PM
Great Topic!

Maybe because my life has changed so much the last few months (getting divorced after 14 years) My current favoriet obscure song at the moment, is a bluesy tune from Chris Issac called "I Wonder". I believe this made it to the sound track of 'Fools Rush In" a Salma Heyek movie. the lyrics are below

I Wonder by Chris Issac

When I was younger I believed, that dreams came true.
Now I wonder.
Cause' I've seen much more dark skies, than blue.
Now I wonder.

I keep on praying for a blue sky, I keep on searching through the rain.
I keep on thinking of the good times, will they ever come again?
Now I wonder.
Now I wonder.

When I was younger I believed, that I could win.
Now I wonder.
There was a time when you and I, walked hand & hand.
Now I wonder.

I keep on searching for the old me, I keep on thinking I can change.
I keep on hoping for a new day, will I ever feel the same?
Now I wonder.
Oh I wonder.
Now I wonder.

oneupper
09-15-2005, 10:16 PM
Beer Drinking Music -- Artist Can't Recall

This is so obscure, I cannot find the artist anywhere.
Once owned the 45.

Chorus goes like:

Give me some beer drinkin' music
Good Country Music
Sing me a beer drinking song

Anyone heard of this?

All I remember is this, but when I sing it in the shower it annoys the heck out my wife!

alex trevino
09-15-2005, 10:46 PM
Would also like to add "Wrapped in your Memory Like chains" by Shawn smith. It was played on a season 5 soprano episode.

wally post
09-15-2005, 10:59 PM
Beer Drinking Music -- Artist Can't Recall

This is so obscure, I cannot find the artist anywhere.
Once owned the 45.

Chorus goes like:

Give me some beer drinkin' music
Good Country Music
Sing me a beer drinking song

Anyone heard of this?

All I remember is this, but when I sing it in the shower it annoys the heck out my wife!

Is it here? D:
http://www.audiodrinkingcompanion.com/

oneupper
09-15-2005, 11:26 PM
Is it here? D:
http://www.audiodrinkingcompanion.com/

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

MrCinatit
09-16-2005, 08:02 AM
13th floor elevator into chocolate watchband into moby grape into the peanut butter conspricy into the electric prunes..

holy cow, i understood that perfectly!
that said, 8:05 is not one of the best of known songs, but is a truly fine Grape song.
mine would for the most part be releases by obscure classic rockers, aka Space Is Deep by and Silver Machine Hawkwind; Cindy Incidentally, Flying, Pool Hall Richard and Stay With Me by The Faces; I Wanna Be Your Dog by The Stooges; Heroin by The Velvet Underground; Twenty First Century Schizoid Man by King Crimson; What Is Love by George Harrison; Mother by John Lennon; pretty much the entire Ram album by Paul McCartney; Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Leaving For Space and I Think I'm In Love by Spiritualized; Night And Day by the Polyphonic Spree; much of the Tamborine Fever album by Orchestra JB; all of the Amused To Death album by Roger Waters and i had better stop here.

GAC
09-16-2005, 08:32 AM
Spirit In The Sky by Norman Greenbaum :D Great feel.

Thanks wally. I had that song in my head as I was browsing this thread, but couldn't come up with it.

Also -

In The Year 2525 - Zager and Evans

I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night - The Electric Prunes

96 Tears - Question Mark & The Mysterians

Hold Your Head Up - Argent

wheels
09-16-2005, 08:57 AM
Ack.

Just go out and buy a Back From The Grave comp and be done with it.

09-16-2005, 09:03 AM
The Motorcycle Song by Arlo Guthrie, although I don't know if it is really obscure.

The Motorcycle Song
words and music by Arlo Guthrie

CHORUS:
I don't want a pickle
Just want to ride on my motorsickle
And I don't want a tickle
'Cause I'd rather ride on my motorsickle
And I don't want to die
I just want to ride on my motorcy...cle

It was late last night the other day
I thought I'd go up and see Ray
So l went up and I saw Ray
There was only one thing Ray could say, was:

CHORUS

Just last week I was on my bike
I run into a friend named Mike
Run into my friend named Mike
Mike no longer has a bike. He cries:

CHORUS

oneupper
09-16-2005, 09:26 AM
96 Tears - Question Mark & The Mysterians

Would you believe these guys are still together?

http://www.96tears.net/band.html

Time has not been kind, however.

Johnny Footstool
09-16-2005, 09:29 AM
"True Dreams of Wichita" by Soul Coughing. Anything by Soul Coughing, for that matter.

GAC
09-16-2005, 11:00 AM
Would you believe these guys are still together?

http://www.96tears.net/band.html

Time has not been kind, however.

And all about 96 years old? :lol:

westofyou
09-16-2005, 11:14 AM
It only took one song, the organ-driven number one smash "96 Tears," to make ? & the Mysterians into garage rock legends. Eccentric frontman Question Mark (actually spelled "?," once he had his name legally changed) cultivated an aura of mystery by never appearing in public without a pair of wraparound sunglasses; he frequently claimed he had been born on Mars and lived among the dinosaurs in a past life, and that voices from the future had revealed he would be performing "96 Tears" in the year 10,000. On a more earthly level, the Mysterians' sound helped lay down an important part of the garage rock blueprint, namely the low-budget sci-fi feel of the Farfisa and Vox organs (most assumed that "96 Tears" had featured the former, but ? later remembered using the latter). What was more, they were one of the first Latino rock groups to have a major hit, and ?'s sneering attitude made him one of the prime suspects in the evolution of garage rock into early punk.

Johnny Footstool
09-16-2005, 11:16 AM
"Hey What Can I Do" was an obscure Led Zeppelin song for many years. It was a rare B-side, and it wasn't available until Zep included it in their boxed set. My favorite Zeppelin song.

"Footsteps" by Pearl Jam is another fantastic obscure song. Same music as "Times of Trouble" by Temple of the Dog, but better lyrics and a great vocal performance by Eddie Vedder. "Yellow Ledbetter" is another PJ song that used to be hard to find, but now it's on a lot of boxed sets and live CDs.

westofyou
09-16-2005, 11:17 AM
"Footsteps" by Pearl Jam is another fantastic obscure song.

I lke "Breath" as their obscure song.

Johnny Footstool
09-16-2005, 11:18 AM
I lke "Breath" as their obscure song.

Really? I though it was inferior to "State of Love and Trust" on the Singles soundtrack.

westofyou
09-16-2005, 11:23 AM
Really? I though it was inferior to "State of Love and Trust" on the Singles soundtrack.

Having seen both done live back in the small venue days Breath stands out bigger to me.

GAC
09-16-2005, 11:26 AM
"Hey What Can I Do" was an obscure Led Zeppelin song for many years. It was a rare B-side, and it wasn't available until Zep included it in their boxed set. My favorite Zeppelin song.

Yep. Just heard that one this morning on the radio..."Hey, hey what can I do? I gotta woman who won't be true."

Seems like a lot of Zep songs dealt with relationship problems with the opposite sex. :lol:

Reds Fanatic
09-16-2005, 11:33 AM
I lke "Breath" as their obscure song. "Footsteps" and "Breath" are both good obscure Pearl Jam songs. Two more good Pearl Jam obscure songs are on the "Merkinball" EP they released with Neil Young on guitar. That contains "I Got ID" and "Long Road".

westofyou
09-16-2005, 11:35 AM
"Footsteps" and "Breath" are both good obscure Pearl Jam songs. Two more good Pearl Jam obscure songs are on the "Merkinball" EP they released with Neil Young on guitar. That contains "I Got ID" and "Long Road".

Good call, I also like "I'm the Ocean" as a Neil rarity

bucksfan
09-16-2005, 12:31 PM
"Billy Two Rivers" or "How Come It Never Rains" or "Satellite Kid" by the Dogs D'Amour (I guess an obscure band is bound to have obscure songs, eh?)

"Dead by Christmas" - Hanoi Rocks

Blimpie
09-16-2005, 01:15 PM
Haha, fantastic line FCB, one of the all time greats.Great line--but, unfortunately, it barely makes the top two or three from that movie alone:

"IT will put the lotion in the basket...or IT will get the hose..."

Blimpie
09-16-2005, 01:19 PM
"Bobby Brown" by Frank Zappa
"Ava Adore" by Smashing Pumpkins

Cyclone792
09-16-2005, 01:30 PM
"Ava Adore" by Smashing Pumpkins

Weeeeee muuuuussst never be apppaaarrrrttt

Outstanding song by the Pumpkins, and I'd add probably "Eye" and "Perfect" on that list, too, but I'm not sure how well known they are. I'm fairly certain the other half dozen or so songs I like are pretty well known, stuff like "Disarm" and "Tonight, Tonight."

Cyclone792
09-16-2005, 01:45 PM
Some others ...

3 Doors Down - "So I Need You"
8Stops7 - "Question Everything" and "Esteem"
A Perfect Circle - "Orestes"
Better Than Ezra - "Misunderstood"
Counting Crows - "Anna Begins"
Eddie Money - "Take Me Home Tonight"
Ennio Morricone - Songs from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Led Zeppelin - "Achilles Last Stand"
Lifehouse - "Somewhere In Between"
Lustra - "Scotty Doesn't Know" :laugh: --> Matt Damon is the vocalist
Metallica - "Low Man's Lyric"
Nickelback - "Breathe"
Pearl Jam - "Immortality," "Indifference" and "Elderly Woman Behind a Counter in a Small Town"
Seven Mary Three - "Lucky"
Soundgarden - "Spoonman"
Staind - "Epiphany"
Stone Temple Pilots - "Creep"
Temple of the Dog - "Hunger Strike" and "Say Hello to Heaven"
Toadies - "I Come From the Water"
Tupac - "Starin' At the World Through My Rearview" (i.e. remix of Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight")

Anybody remember the song "Hey Mister" by some group (might have been one dude) called Custom? That song cracks me up everytime I listen to it.

Hey Mister I really like your daughter.
When I'm horny like thirsty
She's a bottle of water.

:bowrofl:

westofyou
09-16-2005, 01:46 PM

Just like Ronnie said..... seriously though, that is not obscure... I have the butt impression on my couch and hours of watching Mtv to confirm that.

Cyclone792
09-16-2005, 01:51 PM
Just like Ronnie said..... seriously though, that is not obscure... I have the butt impression on my couch and hours of watching Mtv to confirm that.

Well, when you're born in 1982 and have only vague memories of the 1980s, it's somewhat obscure ;)

Blimpie's suggestion of "Ava Adore" by the Smashing Pumpkins isn't obscure to me, and is even on their greatest hits album. But I'm guessing it'll be obscure to some people reading.

pedro
09-16-2005, 01:51 PM
Big Star - Thirteen

pedro
09-16-2005, 01:52 PM
Boomtown - David & David

(although that wasn't too obscure in the eighties)

Red Leader
09-16-2005, 01:53 PM
"Green Mind" by Dink, featured in the "club scene" in the movie Fear with Marky Mark and Reese Witherspoon.

Unfortunately, a soundtrack for the movie was never released and that song is not on any Dink CD.

Great song, though.

Blimpie
09-16-2005, 02:00 PM
Well, when you're born in 1982 and have only vague memories of the 1980s, it's somewhat obscure ;)

Blimpie's suggestion of "Ava Adore" by the Smashing Pumpkins isn't obscure to me, and is even on their greatest hits album. But I'm guessing it'll be obscure to some people reading.The term "obscure" is pretty subjective. I was mostly thinking about songs that were not played frequently on the radio.

To be precise, anything that you bought in a store couldn't really be deemed "obscure"...so, :mooner:

IowaRed
09-16-2005, 02:05 PM
Million Miles Away-Plimsouls, from the movie Valley Girl. Actually the whole Plimsouls album "Everywhere at Once" was great

GAC
09-16-2005, 02:10 PM
Kicks - Paul Revere and the Raiders

westofyou
09-16-2005, 02:13 PM

Blimpie's suggestion of "Ava Adore" by the Smashing Pumpkins isn't obscure to me, and is even on their greatest hits album. But I'm guessing it'll be obscure to some people reading.

True... I'm more of a Gish fan myself.. Rhinosaurous...

1982 was a good year... thus I nominate Joe Jackson's "A Slow Song" and Squeezes "Black Coffee in Bed" as my anglo songs of the year.

Jaycint
09-16-2005, 02:13 PM
Wow guys, great stuff, I have ummm, let's say downloaded for my own listening use, most of the songs you guys have suggested and there is a lot of really good stuff in this thread. Keep em comin'!

westofyou
09-16-2005, 02:14 PM
Kicks - Paul Revere and the Raiders

What's next? Draggin the line? :mooner:

Jaycint
09-16-2005, 02:14 PM
Great line--but, unfortunately, it barely makes the top two or three from that movie alone:

"IT will put the lotion in the basket...or IT will get the hose..."

“I do wish we could chat longer, but I'm having an old friend for dinner…”

GAC
09-16-2005, 03:02 PM
What's next? Draggin the line? :mooner:

http://www.tctv.ne.jp/members/m-site/johnsebastian/images/best01.jpg

Johnny Footstool
09-16-2005, 04:27 PM
Boomtown - David & David

(although that wasn't too obscure in the eighties)

Yeah!

Miss Christina drives a 944
Satisfaction oozes from her pores...

westofyou
09-16-2005, 04:32 PM
Yeah!

Miss Christina drives a 944
Satisfaction oozes from her pores...

Handsome Kevin got a little off track
Took a year off of college
And he never went back
Now he smokes too much
He's got a permanent hack
Deals dope out of Denny's
Keeps a table in the back
He always listens to the ground
Always listens to the ground

Big Donkey
09-16-2005, 04:47 PM
Some others ...

3 Doors Down - "So I Need You"
8Stops7 - "Question Everything" and "Esteem"
A Perfect Circle - "Orestes"
Better Than Ezra - "Misunderstood"
Counting Crows - "Anna Begins"
Ennio Morricone - Songs from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Led Zeppelin - "Achilles Last Stand"
Lifehouse - "Somewhere In Between"
Lustra - "Scotty Doesn't Know" :laugh: --> Matt Damon is the vocalist
Metallica - "Low Man's Lyric"
Nickelback - "Breathe"
Pearl Jam - "Immortality," "Indifference" and "Elderly Woman Behind a Counter in a Small Town"
Seven Mary Three - "Lucky"
Soundgarden - "Spoonman"
Staind - "Epiphany"
Stone Temple Pilots - "Creep"
Temple of the Dog - "Hunger Strike" and "Say Hello to Heaven"
Toadies - "I Come From the Water"
Tupac - "Starin' At the World Through My Rearview" (i.e. remix of Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight")

Anybody remember the song "Hey Mister" by some group (might have been one dude) called Custom? That song cracks me up everytime I listen to it.

Hey Mister I really like your daughter.
When I'm horny like thirsty
She's a bottle of water.

:bowrofl:

Good songs listed. 8Stops7 is a group I completely forgot about until reading your post. Metallica's "Low Man's Lyric" is one of my favorite songs by them, period. I thought there were lots of good ones on that Reload disc, I liked "Where The Wild Thigns Are" and "Fixxxer" a lot too, also songs toward the end of the disc like "Lyric". I thought "Spoonman" was a fairly highly regarded song by Soundgarden, their signature song until "Black Hole Sun", but again, I realize this is all subjective. Good picks also from Nickelback (that was the song I THOUGHT was well-known a few years ago, then I discovered everyone who liked that 'new band' who did "How You Remind Me" had never heard "Breathe"), 2Pac and Staind.

And yes, I remember Custom... it was a solo guy by that name. That song was ludicrous. Ludicrously funny :D

Caveat Emperor
09-16-2005, 05:00 PM
Weeeeee muuuuussst never be apppaaarrrrttt

Outstanding song by the Pumpkins, and I'd add probably "Eye" and "Perfect" on that list, too, but I'm not sure how well known they are. I'm fairly certain the other half dozen or so songs I like are pretty well known, stuff like "Disarm" and "Tonight, Tonight."

"Eye" is a great song that I only discovered when I bought the Smashing Pumpkins greatest hits. It's quickly become a favorite of mine.

There's a differnece between an obscure song, though, and a song that was just a really good "B-Side" (non-radio or big airplay) track on an album.

None of these are really "Obscure" per-se...I'd term them "Hype Challenged," but I really like them anyway:
"Prisoner" - The Last Emporer (great underground hip-hop artist)
"Breakin'" - The Music (great british band -- got a little bit of Rush in them)
"Free" - VAST (good 90s sound)
"It's Nuthin'" - Sly Boogy (I can't figure why this guy isn't bigger than 50 Cent. Seriously great wordplay from this guy.)
"Please Stand Up" - British Sea Power (this band should be big pretty soon)
"Consequence Free" - Great Big Sea (These guys should've taken off, but never did. A little bit of Barenaked Ladies to their sound)
"Silverbacks" - Masta Killa ft. Inspectah Deck and the GZA (The last of the original Wu-Tang clan single albums -- obscure because it didn't get released until last year, over a decade after the first Wu album)

pedro
09-16-2005, 05:02 PM
Trust Me - Six Feet Under (Athens OH, 1986-87)

Johnny Footstool
09-16-2005, 05:34 PM
"Mighty KC" by For Squirrels. A brilliant, moving tribute song to Kurt Cobain. Unfortunately, the lead singer died in a van accident as the band was returning home to Georgia after touring.

Ravenlord
09-16-2005, 05:39 PM
"Last December"-Iced Earth
"Glory to the Brave"-HammerFall
"Black No.1"-Type O Negative (is that really obscure?)
"Hostile Youth"-Saigon Kick
"Inspiration on Demand"-Shadows Fall
"I Thought I Knew It All"-Megadeth
"Of Mice And Men"-Megadeth

wheels
09-16-2005, 05:41 PM
Million Miles Away-Plimsouls, from the movie Valley Girl. Actually the whole Plimsouls album "Everywhere at Once" was great

I think I love you, man.

Seriously.

Anyone that knows the Plimsouls is alright with me.

Ever heard The Beat?

Seventies Power Pop rules.

wheels
09-16-2005, 05:47 PM
Oh yeah, while we're on the topic of Power Pop.

Howsabout "Starry Eyes" by The Records.

Oh good gravy ifiwasntatworkidbeplayingthatsongRIGHTNOW!

And please folks....No more Pearl Jam mentions. My brain has finally stopped bleeding from alla that Ethel Mermon doing an Eyore impression caterwaul Eddie Vedder, and a million other copycats subjected us to for nearly a decade.

I can still remember the pain.

Ohhh Gawd! "Heee Haye, Heee Harwrrrrr...I'm still Alyrrrveee Ohrrrr..."

Oh god please make it stop.

pedro
09-16-2005, 05:49 PM
"Mighty KC" by For Squirrels. A brilliant, moving tribute song to Kurt Cobain. Unfortunately, the lead singer died in a van accident as the band was returning home to Georgia after touring.

that is a GREAT song. I actually baught the CD. The rest is just ok.

Jaycint
09-16-2005, 05:49 PM
Ohhh Gawd! "Heee Haye, Heee Harwrrrrr...I'm still Alyrrrveee Ohrrrr..."

Oh god please make it stop.

:laugh:

While I don't share the sentiment, that my friend, is hilarious.

westofyou
09-16-2005, 05:52 PM
I think I love you, man.

Seriously.

Ever heard The Beat?

Currently Auf Wiedersehen by Cheap Trick is running around my skull.

pedro
09-16-2005, 05:54 PM
Making Plans for Nigel - XTC

pedro
09-16-2005, 05:55 PM
I think I love you, man.

Seriously.

Ever heard The Beat?

I saw them at the Point in Atlanta. Good show.

pedro
09-16-2005, 05:56 PM
Toast - Archers of Loaf

Ravenlord
09-16-2005, 06:03 PM
Currently Auf Wiedersehen by Cheap Trick is running around my skull.when Cheap Trick and Alice Cooper came through, CT's played "Auf Wiedersehen" as their encore...with the bass player firmly inmplanted in some liederhose.

wheels
09-16-2005, 06:04 PM
:laugh:

While I don't share the sentiment, that my friend, is hilarious.

You know what?

If Pearl Jam hadn't spawned Candlebox, Collective Soul, and that religious band with the lead singer who's hooked on painkillers that's name escapes me...Well, it wouldn't be so bad.

I'd just not be into them and everything would be okay. Problem is, it seemed like every band that had a couple of guitars in the nineties and early oughts had singer that spewed the same feaux wounded white guy growl howl. We were all supposed to swoon and revel in that stuff. I, for one didn't drink the cool aid. I drank alot of beer and started buying Curtis Mayfield and Sam Cooke records instead. Now THAT'S what I call Soulful.

So it's not really Pearl Jam that I despise.

In fact, I chaperoned my cousins to a Pearl Jam show around 1993. The Frogs opened, and that was awesome, and I also thought Pearl Jam were kinda okay.

It was alot better than when those same cousins made me take 'em to a Paige/Plant concert. Yeeeccchhhh. But that's another story.

I'm totally off topic.

Anyone heard "Just Head" by The Nervous Eaters. Greatest song ever written dontcha know.

wheels
09-16-2005, 06:05 PM
I saw them at the Point in Atlanta. Good show.

The Beat?

Or The Plimsouls?

You're not old enough to have seen those bands, are you?

pedro
09-16-2005, 06:21 PM
The Beat?

Or The Plimsouls?

You're not old enough to have seen those bands, are you?

plimsouls. they did a re-union tour in 1995.

Falls City Beer
09-16-2005, 07:38 PM
Okay, maybe someone can help me with this one: there's a song in the movie "Nightmare on Elm Street" (the first one) that goes,

"Oh no, it's a nightmare
(no it's just a dream)
Oh no, it's a nightmare
(no it's just a dream)"

Freakin' hilarious. I think it's in the closing credits. Gawd I always wanted a copy of that but could never find it or the band. Does anyone know that song or that band?

Ravenlord
09-16-2005, 08:12 PM
Freakin' hilarious. I think it's in the closing credits. Gawd I always wanted a copy of that but could never find it or the band. Does anyone know that song or that band?the band is Dokken.

Falls City Beer
09-16-2005, 08:15 PM
the band is Dokken.

I think Dokken did "Dream Warriors" (another great song, btw) from the third movie. This is from the first movie, and I'm pretty sure it's not Dokken.

wheels
09-16-2005, 08:23 PM
It's totally Dokken.

Falls City Beer
09-16-2005, 08:34 PM
It's totally Dokken.

Are you sure? It's pretty wussified, even for Dokken.

GAC
09-16-2005, 08:37 PM
Sweet Lorraine
Gypsy
- Uriah Heep

Mr Spaceman
- Byrds

For Your Love
I'm A Man
-Yardbirds

Day After Day
-Badfinger

I'd Love To Change The World
-Ten Years After

So Tired Of Waiting For You
Superman
-Kinks

wheels
09-16-2005, 10:13 PM
Are you sure? It's pretty wussified, even for Dokken.

I remember being all cheesed off that they wrote it when I was kid.

Then again, I was a kid.

So...No, I'm not sure.

dman
09-16-2005, 11:20 PM
Rainbow In The Dark - Dio
Empire - Queensryche
Gypsy Road - Cinderella
Lay It Down - Ratt

marcshoe
09-16-2005, 11:23 PM
Hey, weird. Superman by the Kinks was inexplicably running through my head the other day.

I'll nominate Almost With You by The Church

and

just about anything by Split Enz, who should have been bigger than they were in the US. I heard the Finn brothers say in an interview once that everyone they met in the US said they loved their music, but no one ever bought their records, so they assumed they must have been victims of the biggest home taping racket ever.

cincinnati chili
09-16-2005, 11:44 PM

A friend of mine saw Eddie Money perform in the last 10 years or so, and had front row tickets. He was wearing a girdle, for real. He could see his apparatus-constrained fat belly through his sweat-soaked shirt. Tasty.

My obscure song for the benefit of the 30-and-40-something Cincy natives:

Fear is Never Boring - by the Raisins

"Momma's little baby likes fear and torture.... ouch"

KittyDuran
09-16-2005, 11:57 PM
A friend of mine saw Eddie Money perform in the last 10 years or so, and had front row tickets. He was wearing a girdle, for real. He could see his apparatus-constrained fat belly through his sweat-soaked shirt. Tasty.

My obscure song for the benefit of the 30-and-40-something Cincy natives:

Fear is Never Boring - by the Raisins

"Momma's little baby likes fear and torture.... ouch"WEBN used to play that single a lot... Also another gem from some hometown artists is... and I'm not too sure what the title is... but it is by a duo called Two of Hearts and some of the lines went like this... "For once in your life, if you can be a man" "Can you do it, can you put her out of your heart, are you strong enough". Hear it once in a while on WGRR.

KittyDuran
09-17-2005, 12:01 AM
Sweet Lorraine
Gypsy
- Uriah Heep

Mr Spaceman
- Byrds

For Your Love
I'm A Man
-Yardbirds

Day After Day
-Badfinger

I'd Love To Change The World
-Ten Years After

So Tired Of Waiting For You
Superman
-Kinks
GAC - I wouldn't call some of those songs "obscure" except maybe Ten Years After's and Uriah Heep's singles. The rest are by well known groups. To me, obscure usually means both the song and the artist. :)

CrackerJack
09-17-2005, 12:34 AM
"Twenty Four Hours" - Joy Division

wally post
09-17-2005, 12:40 AM
listened to Hurdy Gurdy Man lately? Great.

Wheels, you should've added a "dude" after, "It's totally Dokken" :D
(Sorry. I lived in LA for a minute)

marcshoe
09-17-2005, 12:50 AM
GAC - I wouldn't call some of those songs "obscure" except maybe Ten Years After's and Uriah Heep's singles. The rest are by well known groups. To me, obscure usually means both the song and the artist. :)

Then I shouldn't mention Robert Palmer's "Looking for Clues".

wheels
09-17-2005, 01:14 AM

Wheels, you should've added a "dude" after, "It's totally Dokken" :D
(Sorry. I lived in LA for a minute)

I meant to, but I never use "dude" in my real life vernacular, so I can't start using it in cyberspace.

In fact, I talk just like I write, 'cept LOUDER and faster.

wheels
09-17-2005, 01:16 AM
Here's another:

"I'm a Drunk" by the Baloneyheads.

Great Midwestern drunk poonk.

westofyou
09-17-2005, 01:18 AM

Today in fact.

Johnny Footstool
09-17-2005, 01:46 AM
that is a GREAT song. I actually baught the CD. The rest is just ok.

I have it too. The REM/Athens, GA sound permeates the whole record, which is a little disappointing. I was never that into REM, except for "Nightswimming."

KittyDuran
09-17-2005, 07:50 AM
Then I shouldn't mention Robert Palmer's "Looking for Clues".Oops, maybe I shouldn't have posted that... past my bedtime! ;) Just ignore it...just some ramblings of a se.. err... sleep-deprived woman! :D

GAC
09-17-2005, 08:27 AM

You may be right. But then that would disqualify alot of the other music/bands listed on here. And from reading over this thread, maybe some of them are in obscurity for a reason. :lol:

Hap
09-17-2005, 09:53 AM
Joe's Garage -- Frank Zappa

"His momma was screaming, his dad was fat, and we were playing the same old songs."

cincinnati chili
09-17-2005, 10:12 AM
Joe's Garage -- Frank Zappa

"His momma was screaming, his dad was fat, and we were playing the same old songs."

We would jam in Joe's Garage
We didn't have no dope or LSD
But a couple 'o quarts o' beer
Would make it so the intonation
Would not offend your ear...

Betterread
09-17-2005, 06:42 PM
I'm not really sure what criteria to apply to the term obscure - but here is my submission:

The excellent London (Romford) outfit Underworld released an early single "rez" on the Boy's Own Label - sold out 15,000 vinyl copies. It was played at thousands of parties for years and was only made available on CD in an edited version as a B-side. until a 2003 Underworld compilation. This is one of the best tracks of the last 15 years and you could not find it for a long time unless you bought a deleted UK or Japanese EP.