PDA

View Full Version : Comic Book Talk!

SteelSD
09-26-2005, 04:58 AM
Ok. It's obviously no secret by now that I'm a big comic book fan. But it's also no secret that I'm not nearly alone on this board so let's bring this whole thing public. I've created this thread to talk about anything comics, so let's bring this one out in the open. It's a long offseason...

Current books I'm reading:

Day of Vengeance (DC)
The OMAC Project (DC)
Villians United (DC)
Y The Last Man (DC)
The Walking Dead (Image/DC)
JLA (DC)
Daredevil (Marvel)
Ultimate X-Men (Marvel)
Ultimate Spider Man (Marvel)
Ultimates 2 (Marvel)
House of M (Marvel)
New Avengers (Marvel)
Runaways (Marvel)
Young Avengers (Marvel)

DC Comments:

The book I'm most addicted to is The Walking Dead (Zombies) by Robert Kirkman. A truly great read and I'd advise any comic fan not reading it to pick up the Trade Paperbacks (getting the actual issues is VERY expensive). Y The Last Man (Brian K. Vaughn) is just behind that and is another exceptional read. The story moves slowly for both but the character development is unique. In The Walking Dead, there isn't a character that Kirkman won't kill. In Y The Last Man, there's one character that simply can't die (Yorick) because he's the only man on Earth. Even my wife loves that premise. Go figure...

I've always been much more of a Marvel fan than a DC disciple (I'm about 40 issues away from a full Uncanny X-Men run), but DC has been stepping up their writing currently with Infinite Crisis looming on the horizon. I've been reading all of the lead-ins to that series, but Day of Vengeance has been particularly good. The Spectre (now without a host and influenced by Eclipso) fragmented magic in the DC Universe and appears to have killed the wizard Shazam and he's released the Seven Deadly Sins into the world. That's a big deal and I can't see how that doesn't tie into the new Infinite Crisis storyline.

There's a new character in the DCU named "Black Alice" who gained exposure in the Days Of Vengeance series. She first appeared in Birds of Prey #76 (a HUGE "buy" recommendation) and her power is to "borrow" magic from others- even the most powerful magic users in the DCU. That's a Big Deal and she should be featured prominently in the upcoming "Infinite Crisis" maxi-series. My darkhorse pick for a premier role in that series is Tim Hunter (Books of Magic). Hunter is Harry Potter BEFORE Harry Potter was cool and now he's an adult. He's been in the background for 15 years and I have a feeling that he'll have a big role. JMHO, of course but hold onto Tim Hunter 1st appearance books if you have them.

JLA is just nuts right now dealing with the fallout of the Identity Crisis storyline and the mindwipes are coming back to haunt the JLA via Despero (who is finally portrayed as a bad bad villian). Wonder Woman has killed Maxwell Lord (Wonder Woman #219) and that doesn't bode well for her membership. The JLA might not be dissolving, but there's a crisis there and it's not helped by the events in the Villains United mini-series. I never figured that Catman would be a decent anti-hero, but I may have been wrong.

As a tip, if you can find copies of Justice League of America #166, 167, and 168 (the biggie) in any condition, they're selling extremely high right now because they're the first "mindwipe" issues as mentioned in Identity Crisis. Super HOT.

In any case, the Infinite Crisis storyline has been developing nicely and there are a number of lead-ins that hint at the actual crisis but don't actually tell us what's going to happen. At one point, I figured that The OMAC Project mini would be the primary lead-in but I'm not so sure now. DC seems to be shucking and jiving all over the place. That's usually a Marvel trait, but DC is one-upping them at this point.

Marvel Comments:

Marvel seems to have bet all their chips on the "House of M" storyline this year. IMHO, that's a bad place to be right now because their tie-ins for their primary books are confusing and will end up being nearly (if not totally) irrelevant. Oh, I suppose that they can figure out how to bring back Hawkeye from the dead, but they should have never killed him anyway. The Scarlet Witch just isn't a big enough character to worry about even if they did extend her powers at the end of the Avengers run.

Of the current books, New Avengers is intriguing and it ropes in a couple of top "solo" characters (Spider-Man, Wolverine) into to the mix and includes Spider Woman along with old faithfuls like Captain America and Iron Man. But the Big Thing in this Avengers incarnation is the inclusion of The Sentry. Yeah, the Sentry. For the newly-initiated, The Sentry began as a mini-series and was a joke. Yes, a joke. Marvel attempted to spin that the Sentry was a "lost" character from the Lee/Kirby days and built an entire history around him- including nearly every powerful Marvel character and team. We thought he was gone, but he's back now and he appears to be nearly Superman-level in power. Wonderful. That's all the Marvel Universe needs- Superman. Yeesh. Oh, don't get me wrong...I was buying Sentry #1 issues months ago because I saw the investment value in doing so but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

The best book Marvel may have going right now is Young Avengers. This one introduces a number of new characters into the Marvel Universe in issue one and even surprises us with the revelation that one of them is a young incarnation of Kang the Conqueror. Simply an excellent job of developing new characters and a real surprise. I don't normally pick up books simply because they're new titles, but I did with Young Avengers and was absolutely rewarded for it.

The Ultimate titles are getting a bit worn out right now. The best Ultimate book I've read in the past three months was Ultimate Spider-Man Annual #1 and only because it was an incredibly cute storyline (Petey and Kitty Pryde get together). The rest of the stuff is getting trite. Ultimates2 may be interesting due to Loki's influence, but Ultimate X-Men is really dragging and hasn't seen a really good issue for a while.

Runaways has always been a great read (for both myself and my wife) but is currently going stagnant as well. The previous Ultron plot was fun, but the book needs a direction. Great characters, but they have nothing to do. That's not a good thing.

Speaking of played out, I'm kinda tired of the Daredevil run. Everyone knows his identity (and has known it for like 30 issues) but no one can actually come to grips with it. Now the Kingpin wants to tell everyone what they already know. Yipppe. Blah blah blah. Some books I collect simply to have a full run and Daredevil might shortly qualify.

Speaking of Daredevil, Joe Quesada has finally (yes, finally) released "Daredevil: Father" #2 and #3 and he introduces the "Santerians" (sp?). Does anyone care? Really. Does anyone, at this point, care about new characters that wouldn't exist but for Marvel Editor In Chief's hubris? This series had a place if it were released on time from the get-go, but I had to wait 6 months for this kind of uninspired crap? Eh. No.

Speaking of waiting for uninspired crap, where is Secret War #4???? There's a reason I don't purchase anything with the words "Top Ten", "Astro City", and "Rising Stars" on it. J. Michael Straczynski and any author who can't produce quality on time is someone I've just crossed off my "buy" list. Straczynski could learn a lot from Joss Whedon and Judd Winick. And that's just for starters. The Babylon 5 creator couldn't hold Mark Millar's jock.

Best graphic novel I've read in the past 90 days: "A History of Violence". Yeah, most folks won't realize the movie is based on a comic, but it is. And that's cool. Road to Perdition might end up being the better movie, but A History of Violence should be an excellent flix if done well.

Johnny Footstool
09-26-2005, 10:18 AM
I'm really disappointed with Marvel lately. "House of M" is just a weak "What If?" storyline -- a pale imitation of "Age of Apocalypse."

TRF
09-26-2005, 10:49 AM
I've been reading the CrossGen Graphic novels. The Forge series was outstanding. I'm looking forward to reading Edge. The artwork IMO is incredible, and I like how everything ties together. The best read surprisingly is Route 666. I also very much like Negation. If you haven't seen these, check them out.

DC

Currently for me everything is revolving around Flash. I love the current story involving the two Zooms. JLA is always a favorite, but strangely I find the Cartoon actually develops a plot better than the comic. Especially lately.

Marvel.

Gotta agree with Johnny about House of M. I haven't read too much, but it seems a week ripoff of a great story: Age of Apocalypse. I love New Avengers. Spidey as an Avenger rocks. I also like the mini series about the Squadron Supreme/Sinister. A little on the mature side. definately not for younger readers, but well written.

wheels
09-26-2005, 02:13 PM
Anyone read "Stray Bulletts"?

I like alot of those noir type comics. Good stuff.

SteelSD
09-26-2005, 03:44 PM
Isn't that Dave Lapham's book, wheels? I haven't read it, but I've heard good reviews.

Speaking of indy writers, has anyone heard if Frank Cho is going to produce another issue of Liberty Meadows? Zombie King appears to be a pet project for Cho (he's a twisted puppy- don't let your kids read Zombie King #0) so I dunno if he's going to continue with Liberty Meadows. If not, that's a real loss. The wife loves that book.

TRF, Flash is one of those characters I just plain love but I have a hard time staying with that book. Dunno why. I picked it up through the "alternate Wally" run and then through around #210, but I dropped it after that, rejoined for the Zoom/Cheetah issue and then couldn't bring myself to stay with it through the Rogue Wars storyline. I think I might have dropped Flash in order to pick up the Green Lantern: Rebirth stuff (only so much a guy can buy). I've grabbed the first few issues of the Hal Jordan GL title and I'm not overly impressed with it so far. I thought there'd be a lot more fallout from Hal dropping back into the land of the living, but so far not much. I think I'll drop it and start reading Flash again. That book is just fun.

And on another fun note, I just got my copy of X-Men #1 (Marvel Milestone Edition) in the mail. That's not a big deal in and of itself. What IS a big deal is that it's signed by the late Jack Kirby (with COA).

My collection of major creator/artist autos is getting pretty large. I've got books signed by Alex Ross, Frank Miller, John Byrne, Stan Lee, Kevin Smith, Todd McFarlane, Jim Lee, Dave Cockrum, Bill Tucci, Andy Kubert, Jim Steranko, George Perez, Joe Quesada, Frank Cho, and now Kirby and an art collection signed by Neal Adams. I'd still like to pick up autos from Neil Gaiman, Mark Millar, Brian Michael Bendis, Robert Kirkman, Judd Winick, Joss Whedon, Cassiday (Planetary, Astonishing X-Men), and Frank Quitely, but those will have to wait. I'm consistently amazed how cheap signed books are right now. I had a signed book by Joseph Michael Lindsner (Dawn), but some rabid Dawn fan offered me three times what I payed for it. Go figure.

Anyone collect signed stuff or original art? I'd love to get a few original pages (I have a total of one) but that stuff is SPENDY.

GIK
09-26-2005, 03:52 PM
Superman, Adventures of Superman and JLA are really all I'll read.

Is there really any other hero than Superman?

SteelSD
09-26-2005, 11:11 PM
Superman, Adventures of Superman and JLA are really all I'll read.

Is there really any other hero than Superman?

Heresy!

http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/Set/4637/smoking.gif

GIK
09-26-2005, 11:28 PM
Wolverine's cool (although I haven't read much comic-wise, the cartoon/movies were great), but he's no match for the Man of Steel.

Good thread!

RFS62
09-26-2005, 11:48 PM
Geez, the only one's I've read are those early 60's era Spiderman, Fantastic Four, X Men, Thor, Daredevil, Hulk, Ironman, Dr. Strange, Sgt. Fury, and Captain America issues, in mint condition, that I found perfectly preserved a few years ago back home where I grew up.

:cool:

wheels
09-27-2005, 12:46 AM
Isn't that Dave Lapham's book, wheels? I haven't read it, but I've heard good reviews.

Speaking of indy writers, has anyone heard if Frank Cho is going to produce another issue of Liberty Meadows? Zombie King appears to be a pet project for Cho (he's a twisted puppy- don't let your kids read Zombie King #0) so I dunno if he's going to continue with Liberty Meadows. If not, that's a real loss. The wife loves that book.

TRF, Flash is one of those characters I just plain love but I have a hard time staying with that book. Dunno why. I picked it up through the "alternate Wally" run and then through around #210, but I dropped it after that, rejoined for the Zoom/Cheetah issue and then couldn't bring myself to stay with it through the Rogue Wars storyline. I think I might have dropped Flash in order to pick up the Green Lantern: Rebirth stuff (only so much a guy can buy). I've grabbed the first few issues of the Hal Jordan GL title and I'm not overly impressed with it so far. I thought there'd be a lot more fallout from Hal dropping back into the land of the living, but so far not much. I think I'll drop it and start reading Flash again. That book is just fun.

And on another fun note, I just got my copy of X-Men #1 (Marvel Milestone Edition) in the mail. That's not a big deal in and of itself. What IS a big deal is that it's signed by the late Jack Kirby (with COA).

My collection of major creator/artist autos is getting pretty large. I've got books signed by Alex Ross, Frank Miller, John Byrne, Stan Lee, Kevin Smith, Todd McFarlane, Jim Lee, Dave Cockrum, Bill Tucci, Andy Kubert, Jim Steranko, George Perez, Joe Quesada, Frank Cho, and now Kirby and an art collection signed by Neal Adams. I'd still like to pick up autos from Neil Gaiman, Mark Millar, Brian Michael Bendis, Robert Kirkman, Judd Winick, Joss Whedon, Cassiday (Planetary, Astonishing X-Men), and Frank Quitely, but those will have to wait. I'm consistently amazed how cheap signed books are right now. I had a signed book by Joseph Michael Lindsner (Dawn), but some rabid Dawn fan offered me three times what I payed for it. Go figure.

Anyone collect signed stuff or original art? I'd love to get a few original pages (I have a total of one) but that stuff is SPENDY.

Have you read "Torso" by Bendis?

It's about the brutal dismemberments in Cleveland during the depression. I love his characterization of Elliot Ness.

Very dark, gruesome stuff.

And yeah, Stray Bullets is the bee's knees. Brilliant and brutal.

I actually got to meet Dave Lapham (not of ex Bengals offensive lineman fame) at The Laughing Ogre here in Columbus. I even brought him a sandwich in exchange for paperback. Cool guy.

GAC
09-27-2005, 08:35 AM
Geez, the only one's I've read are those early 60's era Spiderman, Fantastic Four, X Men, Thor, Daredevil, Hulk, Ironman, Dr. Strange, Sgt. Fury, and Captain America issues, in mint condition, that I found perfectly preserved a few years ago back home where I grew up.

:cool:

Same here. Most of my comics are from 30-40 years ago. Close to a 1,000 of them. Paid anywhere from a dime up to 35 cents. Back then an annual only cost a quarter. But mine aren't in mint condition though. I didn't put them in plastic - I READ THEM! - over and over and over! ;)

Just like I put all my baseball cards in the spokes of my bicycle. :lol:

And I'm with GIK -you just can't beat the Man of Steel (World's Finest, Superman, Adventure).

I was mainly into DC comics, but loved FF, Hulk, Thor, and Spiderman when they first came out.

Raisor
09-27-2005, 08:48 AM
I'm ultra bummed that Johns is leaving FLASH and am worried about what's going to happen to the character. Over the last few years Wally has become my favorite character in comics. He's actually, you know, heroic and stuff...

There's been rumors that Waid might be doing another run on the book, if that's true, no worries. Could be Morrison, who's said over and over that Wally is his favorite character, and that would be cool too.

Just hope it's not Winnick, who while I like, just wouldn't work on Flash.

Raisor
09-27-2005, 08:58 AM
Anyway, here's what I'm currently reading....

DC

JSA-Best team book on the market. The Black Adam stuff has been tremendously awesome.

Adventures of Superman-Greg Ruka is writing the best Superman in years.

JLA-Current storyline, like Steel said, is great. The Art hasn't been this good on the book in years.

Green Lantern-Unlike Steel, I'm actually digging the new book. It's been a slow burn to start, but it's getting ready to pick up big time. Haven't been able to pick up the new Green Lantern Corps book yet, but have heard great things about it.

Flash-With Johns leaving, I'm really nervous (as mentioned above), but there's been no better book for DC over the last five years.

Birds of Prey-So much better then any of the other "Bat" books it's not even funny. And Batman isn't even a regular character. Gail Simones is a rockin comicbook writer and "gets" Babs and Canary.

MARVEL

Daredevil-Currently in the middle of Bendis' last arc. Brubaker takes over in December.

Captain America-Best Marvel book on the shelf right now. Brubaker and Epting are ruling it right now. The Winter Soldier storyline rules all that is rulable.

New Avengers-Wasn't sure how this was going to be, but it's been a damn good book so far.

I'm reading some other stuff too, but those are the highlights..

ochre
09-27-2005, 09:49 AM
Is Justice a mini-series? Its coming out soon isn't it? It looks pretty cool from the ads I've seen.

TRF
09-27-2005, 10:19 AM
On the Marvel side, I am devouring all Spidey books. been very... human lately. The X titles have gotten more ridiculous as time goes by. Do any of these guys stay dead? The Danger Room coming to life is what killed me on the books, at least for a while. Didn't we already do that with Cerebro coming to life? I mean almost the exact same story. Rio Lobo/Rio Grande/Rio Bravo... Same movie. ugh.

BTW my son and I argued last night over who would win in a fight between Wolvie and Spiderman. I picked Spidey... stronger, faster, spidey sense. Plus he was Captain Universe once.

Johnny Footstool
09-27-2005, 10:31 AM
Wolverine is indeed "the best at what he does." Unfortunately, what he does most often is get beaten, hacked, slashed, and disembowelled.

GAC
09-27-2005, 12:08 PM
I want to know what is the average age of you people reading these comics.

It may cause me to re-evaluate my opinion of some of you. :lol:

Nothing turns today's woman on more then a guy a spadex Spidey suit at a comic book convention. :lol:

Johnny Footstool
09-27-2005, 03:13 PM
Nothing turns today's woman on more then a guy a spadex Spidey suit at a comic book convention.

That's why you hide your comic book collection until *after* the wedding.

SteelSD
09-27-2005, 03:25 PM

LOL!

Well, that's a dice roll strategy at best, bud. I couldn't possibly hide my collection from the wife before we got hitched. In fact, I was eBaying to try to recoup my X-Men collection (sold it all while in college) in the months leading up to the wedding.

Luckily, I married a cool chick who actually digs certain books. She's not a real super hero fan and she tried to avoid reading comics but I turned her to the dark side. It was hysterical the first time we left the comic shop when she had more books in hand than I.

If anyone is looking to get their female companion hooked, get her to read the following titles:

Strangers in Paradise
Y The Last Man
Runaways
Liberty Meadows

If that doesn't work, God help you. ;)

Chip R
09-27-2005, 03:30 PM
Worst. Thread. Ever. ;)

SteelSD
09-27-2005, 03:43 PM
Is Justice a mini-series? Its coming out soon isn't it? It looks pretty cool from the ads I've seen.

Justice is a mini-series. Good first issue. Basically, the DCU villians see an "apocalypse" coming and also see that the heros won't be able to save the planet so they get together to do something about it.

Alex Ross art. ALEX ROSS ART!! Great stuff but will it ship on time? Good question.

Also, All Star Batman and Robin has had an interesting couple of issues. I'll pick up the first couple issues of All-Star Superman as well (Quitely art) and see if it goes anywhere. Basically, it's DC trying to do their own version of Marvel's "Ultimate" titles.

TRF
09-27-2005, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Superman? blech.

that said, I'll likely give it a whirl.

Raisor
09-27-2005, 04:18 PM
Also, All Star Batman and Robin has had an interesting couple of issues. I'll pick up the first couple issues of All-Star Superman as well (Quitely art) and see if it goes anywhere. Basically, it's DC trying to do their own version of Marvel's "Ultimate" titles.

The first issue of ASB&R was pretty awful, haven't seen #2 yet. The Jim Lee art is great as always, but Miller's last few Batman stories have been awful (especially the second Dark Knight mini).

Raisor
09-27-2005, 04:21 PM
Ultimate Superman? blech.

that said, I'll likely give it a whirl.

It's Grant Morrison and Frank Quietly.

It's going to rock.

It'll just take forever for it to come out since it takes Frank about three months per issue.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on X-Men also. While the most of the X-titles are pretty bad right now, Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men book with the AWESOME Cassidy art is the best X-Run since the Clairmont/Paul Smith run of the mid-80's (which was the best run since Byrne).

Raisor
09-27-2005, 09:22 PM
WOO HOO!

Dan Slott's SHE HULK series is back in a couple of weeks.

Preview is up

http://comics.ign.com/articles/654/654166p1.html

SteelSD
09-27-2005, 10:32 PM
It's Grant Morrison and Frank Quietly.

It's going to rock.

It'll just take forever for it to come out since it takes Frank about three months per issue.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on X-Men also. While the most of the X-titles are pretty bad right now, Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men book with the AWESOME Cassidy art is the best X-Run since the Clairmont/Paul Smith run of the mid-80's (which was the best run since Byrne).

Yeah. Morrison and Quitely just rule. Nasty-good stuff. Quitely can turn out pages on a regular basis (did it on New X-Men), but I think his art suffers. Probably be good to get him off a team book.

I'm hoping that ASB&R isn't going to be DC's version of "Ultimate Wolverine & Generic Sidekick", but sigh...

And yep, Astonishing X-Men is the bomb right now. I didn't like the "Danger Room" episodes as much as the previous arcs, but it looks like we get Ms. Frost back on the bad guy side of things. And that's cool.

But the other X-Men books are nigh-unreadable right now. I couldn't care less about the "House of M" sidebar. Makes no sense whatsoever. And the stupid "Golgotha" storyline was a complete waste of time. I buy 'em because I'm about 40 issues from a full run (yeah, THE full run), but I feel like I've been throwing money away on those books the past few months.

BTW, you mentioning Paul Smith just highlights how lucky we were back in the day. Went from Cockrum to Byrne to Cockrum to Romita Jr. to Smith on Uncanny. That's a heck of a run of artists on any title (even if Cockrum's 2nd run simply didn't live up to his 1st). Even the fill-ins (Brent Anderson, Barry Windsor-Smith, Bill Sienkiewicz) were gold. Heck, not counting the reprints from #67-93, this is the list of just some of the Uncanny artists:

Jack Kirby
Jim Steranko
Neal Adams
Dave Cockrum (x2)
John Byrne
George Perez
John Romita Jr.
Paul Smith
Marc Silvestri (x2)
Whilce Portacio
Arthur Adams (Annuals)
Jim Lee
Joe Madureira
Chris Bachalo
Alan Davis

I'm sure I missed someone, but that's just a ridiculous list of talent.

Raisor
09-27-2005, 10:47 PM
BTW, you mentioning Paul Smith just highlights how lucky we were back in the day. Went from Cockrum to Byrne to Cockrum to Romita Jr. to Smith on Uncanny. .

You need to flip Smith and JRjr...Smith's run was first.

Smith's run was great (so was JRjr's). Best of the bunch was the Wolverine/Rogue issue in Japan (the lead in to the original Wolive mini-series) His JSA elsewhere story with (I think) James Robbinson was awesome too.

Scrap Irony
09-27-2005, 10:55 PM
James Robinson's Starman run was a true classic. I dig The Shade.

SteelSD
09-27-2005, 11:52 PM
You need to flip Smith and JRjr...Smith's run was first.

Smith's run was great (so was JRjr's). Best of the bunch was the Wolverine/Rogue issue in Japan (the lead in to the original Wolive mini-series) His JSA elsewhere story with (I think) James Robbinson was awesome too.

<Steel cracks open 1st Uncanny long box...>

Egads! You're right! It's all coming back to me now...JRjr took over on the 2nd half of issue #175 (unless I'm again mistaken). Good catch, kind sir.

Smith was an incredibly underrated talent. He'll be doing the backup story on the upcoming Giant Size X-Men #4 too (like Neal Adam's lead in on #3). Good times.

Anyone else out there trying to put together full runs of original Marvel or DC titles?

SteelSD
09-27-2005, 11:58 PM
James Robinson's Starman run was a true classic. I dig The Shade.

Robinson wrote the DC Elseworlds tale "The Golden Age" too, didn't he?

<checks bookcase...yep...he did>

That was a tremendous read. Easily #2 on my Elseworlds list and only topped by Kingdom Come.

Which Starman issues did he write, Scrap? I may have to pick up the TPB if his stuff is anywhere near as good as it was on TGA.

SteelSD
09-28-2005, 01:16 AM
WOO HOO!

Dan Slott's SHE HULK series is back in a couple of weeks.

Preview is up

http://comics.ign.com/articles/654/654166p1.html

I've heard great things about the last She Hulk run but, alas, I've never been interested enough in the character to pick it up. In fact, the last She Hulk book I purchased was the She Hulk Marvel Graphic Novel (#18) by Byrne. I'm a huge fan of Byrne's classic stuff (y'know, before his head swelled to the size of McFarlane's and his art got sloppy). The only time I've seen a She Hulk drawn that well was during Art Adams "Longshot" miniseries.

Speaking of Arthur Adams, is there any artist in the game you wish could get his pages done in a timely fashion more than Adams? The guy is a true genius but he ended up being limited as a "special project" artist because he just couldn't get his pages done.

Funny thing is that Art Adams first published drawing was in a letters section of Captain Carrot and His Amazing Zoo Crew (he sent in a drawing of Farrah Foxett and they actually published it).

Little known and completely irrelevant (but fascinating) trivia factoid #2:

The first time Dave Cockrum's name appeared in comic book print was the Silver Age Hawkman #13 (also the letters page). Here's what Cockrum wrote to the Editor of Hawkman in 1966:

Dear Editor: Hawkman 11, featuring "The Shrike Strikes at Night", was the latest triumph of art and adventure from a magazine which is noted for outstanding stories. If not your best mag, Hawkman is at least one of the top three (the other two being Atom and Green Lantern), and I firmly believe that Murphy Anderson's art is the top, no ifs, ands or buts.

The Shrike was an outstanding character- both as a villian and later as a hero. I preferred him as a hero and I, for one, would certainly like to see him again sometime. He's too good a character to let relapse into complete oblivion. Being of a star-traveling race himelf, perhaps he and the Winged Wonder could meet on Thangar for an adventure sometime.

I must admit, however, that another reason for my liking the Shrike is the sneaking suspicion that I was in part responsible for the creation of the character. Some months ago I sent you a sketch of a proposed Hawkman foe called the Black Shrike. Perhaps I'm wrong, but it's fun anyway, seeing that one's efforts inspire outstanding work like "The Shrike Strikes at Night!"

-Dave Cockrum, NAS, Miramar, Cal.

The Editor's response:

(As you surmised, the Shrike was inspired by your sketch- and in appreciation, we have sent you Murphy Anderson's original cover! The same deal applies for any other accepted cover ideas or characters contributed by our readers.)

--Editor

(end quotes- and yes, the reason I have the above communication is because I own the book)

Less than a decade later, Dave Cockrum would create characters that were just a titch more important than the Shrike. Their names are Colossus, Nightcrawler, Storm, and Thunderbird. Ironically, Cockrum partnered on the cover to Giant Size X-Men #1 with the very same artist who drew the Green Lantern he loved- Gil Kane- two years after beginning his professional comic career as a penciller with DC (Legion of Superheroes). Later in his career, Cockrum also created Mystique of X-Men fame.

But the letter above and the acknowlegement that Cockrum did, in fact, assist in the creation of the Shrike predates Cockrum's first published work in Fantastic Fanzine (while stationed in Guam with the US Navy) by two years and his first attributed professional work by even more. Shortly after his work was published in Fantastic Fanzine, Cockrum returned to the States, stopped in at DC headquarters and was given the tour by a DC legend- the late Julie Schwartz, then DC's Editor in Chief. He was introduced to Neal Adams at that time (still one of Cockrum's best friends).

There was no work at DC or Marvel, so Adams sent Cockrum over to Warren Publishing and began pencilling Vampirella in 1971 and asked Adams to critique his work and noted that Adams "...showed me what to fix." before Cockrum submitted it.

Later in 1971, Schwartz found out that there was a penciller who needed a background inker to work on his book. That book was Superman. That penciller was...Murphy Anderson. Yes, the same Murphy Anderson whose Hawkman #11 cover Cockrum now owned due to his help in creating a character that Anderson drew five years earlier.

Talk about coming full circle!

But wait...there's more...

Dave Cockrum got rid of Nightcrawler's Image Inducer (see Uncanny X-Men #107 for an example of how it worked) because Nightcrawler was Cockrum's favorite character and he felt that the Image Inducer was making the X-Men more like "Nightcrawler and the X-Men". But if not for DC's stupidity, Nightcrawler would have never graced the pages of that title. Cockrum had offered the character to DC years earlier while penciling Legion of Superheroes and DC didn't want him. So while Cockrum created the Shi'ar Royal Guard as an homage to the Legion in Uncanny #107, Nightcrawler was playing for the home team.

To me, that's incredible stuff.

WMR
09-28-2005, 01:55 AM
I like the new Robocop. Pretty hardcore. I like the New Punisher stuff too. Very cool.

I like the new Ninja Turtles (I'm a TMNT Fan from wayyyy back BIGGG FANN OF THE TURTLES!!)

Donatello, you mah boy.

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~regs/photos/session04-05/halloween/logan/photos/Halloween%20(Ninja%20Turtles).jpg

That's me with the crew. COWABUNGA DUDE!!!

Raisor
09-28-2005, 06:13 AM
Which Starman issues did he write, Scrap? I may have to pick up the TPB if his stuff is anywhere near as good as it was on TGA.

Robinson wrote the entire 1990's Starman run (80 issues) (Not sure if there were any fill-in issues though).

I've read the first trade, which was great.

GAC
09-28-2005, 06:30 AM

Then on the wedding night..... TA-DAAA!

"Hey honey! Wanna see my webslinger?" :lol:

http://home.grandecom.net/~bargirl24/sexyspider.jpg

Johnny Footstool
09-28-2005, 09:33 AM
"Hey honey! Wanna see my webslinger?"

Damn! I thought I destroyed those photos.

I'm going to have to discuss that with my wife. Those were for our own personal use.

TRF
09-28-2005, 10:19 AM
You know, I never really followed the names of the artists or writers. Dunno why. If the art got bad, or the writing (Anything with the word Secret Wars applies). I think perhaps I'll pay a little more attention to it.

Back to X-Men for a sec. I was dissappointed in the concept of the Danger Room coming alive as we had already been through it with Cerebro. However it was written much better, and I do like the art alot. Not digging the kitty cat Beast look at all though.

Probably my favorite character in the marvel universe has to be Thanos. At list since Infinitey Gauntlet (which i loved). Completely ruthless and almost amoral. Leans on being the bad guy. A great character.

Raisor
09-28-2005, 07:54 PM
You know, I never really followed the names of the artists or writers. Dunno why. If the art got bad, or the writing (Anything with the word Secret Wars applies). I think perhaps I'll pay a little more attention to it.

I look for the writer first then the art which is why I thought most of the 1990's sucked for comic fans. The "Image"-ification of the industry came close to killing it.

We're now in a new golden age for writers, which just a huge corp a really great writers: Mark Waid, Kurt Busick, Geoff Johns, BENDIS, Grant Morrison, Greg Ruka, Mark Millar, Brad Meltzer, JOSS WHEADON~!, and on and on and on....

ochre
09-28-2005, 08:12 PM
I look for the writer first then the art which is why I thought most of the 1990's sucked for comic fans. The "Image"-ification of the industry came close to killing it.

I blame it all on McFarlane's Spidey run. Rob Liefeld embodied that deterioration however. Liefeld of the 90s was the 80s astro-turf, low OBP, slap hitter of the comic book industry.

**edit after reading what I said. I liked McFarlane's Spidey run, but I think its what started the art first movement.

Raisor
09-28-2005, 08:16 PM
I blame it all on McFarlane's Spidey run. Rob Liefeld embodied that deterioration however. Liefeld of the 90s was the 80s astro-turf, low OBP, slap hitter of the comic book industry.

**edit after reading what I said. I liked McFarlane's Spidey run, but I think its what started the art first movement.

Rob is currently doing a two issue fill in run on Teen Titans, and it's beyond horrible.

SteelSD
09-28-2005, 10:26 PM

McFarlane's art on the Amazing Spiderman title was great. In fact, when they created Spidermen to give McFarlane his own book, the art was still great.

But they let him write the book. Ugh x Infinity.

And yes, Liefeld stunk (and still does). Every time I see Prince Fielder, I think of Rob Liefeld's version of Cable. Big hulking body. Wee little head.

But in my eyes, the ultimate in bad was Jim Valentino. How he got hooked up with the big guns to start up Image is beyond me. Shadowhawk stunk. The story was bad. The art twice bad. At least Image spawned The Authority and opened up the industry to allow Valiant an audience (until massive overproduction killed them). Heck, Dark Horse has published infinitely more readable stuff than Image ever has.

TRF
09-29-2005, 09:58 AM
Every isuue of Image was the same to me. Brigade, Gen 13, Cyberforce (blech), I liked the idea and a few issues of Stormwatch. I liked Grifter as a character, And I liked Spawn, and the original version of the Exiles with Juggernaught.

One thing Image did do was open the eyes of casual comic fans to something other than the Big 2. And taht at least is a good thing.

Sham
10-01-2005, 09:51 PM
IMO, Ultimates 2 is the best thing going right now. Seriously, Thor in prison, Hawk killed, and Cap set up? I will check out other issues reported in this thread.

Sabo Fan
10-14-2005, 04:51 PM
Interesting article I found on IGN while reading about the next Batman movie. I'm not much of a comic book reader myself so some of what's in the article is way over my head. If anyone would care to explain some of what's currently going on, particuarly the DC-related stuff (always been more of a Batman and Superman guy than X-Men and Spiderman), I'd be much obliged.

http://comics.ign.com/articles/658/658377p1.html

A House of Infinite Crisis
Marvel and DC drop bombshells that will change their respective universes forever. What's it mean and why should you care?
October 13, 2005
WARNING: Spoilers Ahead! Don't read unless you want to know what happened in House of M #7 and Infinite Crisis #1

It seemed like a dream, or perhaps a nightmare to those without a thick wallet, that both Marvel and DC would come out with major universe-defining events right around the same time. As fans shelled out the bucks for the four Infinite Crisis prelude minis and their seemingly infinite number of spin-offs, they were also mortgaging their parents basements to pick up Marvel's House of M. Two incredibly important events from the top creators at each publisher. How could it get any better or more expensive?
How about two crucial issues -- packed with unbelievable surprises -- shipping the same day? These are the stories that finally broke the Internet's back.

House of M #7 featured the revelation that it was Quicksilver and not Magneto who was ultimately responsible for creating a brave new world for mutantkind. The ending proved incredible. With three words the Scarlet Witch dramatically changed the face of the Marvel Universe: "No more mutants."

Infinite Crisis #1 kicked off one hell of a bad day for the DCU. First, we learned in Villains United #6 that there were actually two Lex Luthors running around and that Pariah, the harbinger of dying universes, was on Earth. Then in Crisis #1 we saw the return of several characters from Earth-2 and Earth-Prime. Apparently these cats escaped the end of all things in Crisis On Infinite Earths 20 years back.

To have both DC and Marvel's events deliver so completely on the same day is a pretty incredible feat. It's a good time to be a comic-book fan.

Heroes are used to bad days, but for Marvel and DC these moments will resonate for years to come.

To its credit, Marvel's House of M has remained true to the promise that you could read the HOM miniseries alone and understand all that was going on. This is very true. In fact, all the spinoffs seem a little unnecessary, because House of M is so well-contained. While Marvel stilled milked us of money with a few miniseries and some connected issues, poorer fans could focus just on the main series and still enjoy the jaw-dropper that issues 7 provided.
On the other hand, House of M has dragged, with filler stories in supporting series and a typically-delayed schedule. As awesome as issue 7 may be, it didn't earn that moment over the course of the first six issues. Hell yes, Bendis delivered, but the past few issues have not been equal to the first and penultimate chapters.

Contrasting HoM's conciseness, Crisis is a lot like the Blob. The longer it lives, the more series it consumes, the bigger it grows. Though long-promised to be as self-contained as possible, no one can really hop into Crisis #1 blind and know what the hell is going on. Why are Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman so pissed off at each other? What the heck is an OMAC? Why's there another Superman with grey hair? You need to have some understanding of the preceding events to fully enjoy Crisis #1 and you really need to know a bit about the two-decades-old Crisis On Infinite Earths.

While long-time DC fans such as myself are jumping up and down with joy over the payoff for a year's worth of eager speculation, many others may be scratching their head wondering who flipped the world upside down. The payoff, so far, has been great, but it seems that the best moments of Crisis #1 are a handshake in a gentleman's club that most newer readers haven't been invited to. Doesn't DC understand that Infinite Earths is a classic, but not particularly accessible to newer DC fans? Apparently not.

DC has done an overall solid job of building to this moment, but hasn't made these mega-event particularly attractive to outsiders.

Marvel and DC combined put out 35-50 issues a week. Over the years, moments, lines and story arcs can fade from memory. However, House of M #7 and Crisis #1 will probably be remembered for a long time.
Who will soon forget Wanda deconstructing Hawkeye or Magneto showing his expert parenting skills with Pietro? How long will those final three pages resonate with Marvel fans? For quite some time, I'd guess.

Crisis has only just truly begun and it's almost certain that there are bigger surprises up ahead that could well wash away some of the things that stood out most in the first issue. However, no one will soon forget the ultimate Batman line of the past decade: "Let's face it 'Superman'... The last time you really inspired anyone was when you were dead." Not only a brilliant, powerful line, but an acknowledgement from DC that they've allowed Superman to meander over the past decade.

The impact from House of M #7 will be felt immediately. November kicks of Decimation, a one-shot on the aftermath of Wanda's actions. The X-books all gain new direction in November and the fallout will be felt for at least a few years. Expect a whole lot of tertiary mutants to be no more. And let's face it, this is a house-cleaning Marvel has needed for a very long time.

Over the years there have been too many mutants thrown into the mix for no good reason. The world is overcrowded with them. So if Marvel wants to clean up, it's a little odd that they aren't cutting down some books and rebuilding slowly. And it's perhaps more troubling that they aren't slotting in whole new creative teams for the long haul. Brubaker should breathe some interesting life into the X-Men with the Deadly Genesis miniseries, but as a whole Marvel has missed a golden opportunity to refresh its creative teams. Instead, all the new blood is coming onto new series.
There are a number of looming questions to be answered. What's happened to Xavier? What will become of the Avengers who died in "Disassembled"? It seems pretty clear that Quicksilver, star of the upcoming Son of M, will be powerless in this redefined Marvel Universe.

We know that everyone will remember what has happened. So look for renewed interest in containing the mutant menace, whatever may be left of it. But also expect some changes in how mutants are viewed by other superheroes. The line has blurred over the years and it really has become a wonder why someone loves the Fantastic Four but fears a mutant. The line in the sand has been redrawn. That should provide some excellent fodder for future stories.

Infinite Crisis suggest that Crisis on Infinite Earths never ended. With the re-emergence of Earth-2, Earth-3 and Earth-Prime characters, that would seem to be the case. What is the end-goal? We can't be certain, but in recent weeks DC's lips have become considerably looser.
The DCU has become quite dark of late, but only through its darkest days can the heroes come through to a brighter future. That doesn't mean Batman will no longer stalk criminals in the night, but look for DCU's biggest heroes to get nudged back a bit more towards center.

Much of the focus leading into Crisis has been on secret identities. When villains learned of a hero's secret identity and the identity of their loved ones, Zatanna and the JLA were there to do some mindwiping. That's come back to bite the league in the ass. But the problem of identities, particularly how none seem very secret anymore, is a major theme. Don't be shocked if Geoff Johns pulls a similar trick to the one he did in Flash, where he made the world forget Wally West was the Scarlet Speedster. The heroes have become far too familiar with one another, making those alternate identities almost meaningless. A DCU where Wonder Woman refers to the Dark Knight as "Batman" instead of "Bruce" is a better one in the long run.

There's been considerable speculation that Bruce Wayne will die. After all, someone has to die, right? This may actually come to pass. Infinite Crisis has been too carefully plotted for there to be any mere coincidence, so the panel showing the Bat-Signal projected over Spectre's chest should not be taken for granted. In August, Judd Winick alluded to the idea that even if Bruce Wayne were to not be Batman for a while, eventually he would come back. It's very possible Wayne could become the new Spectre for a period of time, atoning for his recent mistakes and reclaiming the mantle of the Bat at the end of next year (or at least before the next Batman movie).

Crisis is a course correction that will likely maintain the history of the past two decades, but fundamentally shift the focus of specific characters. DC has stated several times that Crisis will set DC up for the next generation, so look for some of the younger characters to step forward and take key roles as the Crisis comes full-force.

This is just the beginning of some big changes for both Marvel and DC. Who knows what surprises are ultimately in store, but both universes should look significantly different a year from now.

Raisor
10-23-2005, 05:00 PM
I haven't seen an issue of Infinity Crisis yet, but I've read the spoilers.

The last page sound rockin.

SteelSD
10-23-2005, 06:03 PM
I haven't seen an issue of Infinity Crisis yet, but I've read the spoilers.

The last page sound rockin.

Yeah, it's definitely a suprise last page (I'll not explain just in case folks who want to read it haven't). I read the lead-in minis (OMAC Project, Villians United, Day of Vengeance) except for the Rann-Thangar War (that one just didn't interest me). The last issue of Villians United was also particularly interesting (major surprise was revealed).

And if you get a chance to pick up Alex Ross' "Justice" mini, it's a great new take on some of the vintage DC villians (Riddler actually looks like a bad man). Fun stuff and, as always, great Alex Ross painted art.

Raisor
10-23-2005, 07:01 PM
Yeah, it's definitely a suprise last page (I'll not explain just in case folks who want to read it haven't). I read the lead-in minis (OMAC Project, Villians United, Day of Vengeance) except for the Rann-Thangar War (that one just didn't interest me). The last issue of Villians United was also particularly interesting (major surprise was revealed).

I'll read all of the trades when they come out. The Adam Strange mini (with the AWESOME Pazquel art) led directly into Rann-Thangar, so I'm for sure going to pick it up.

And if you get a chance to pick up Alex Ross' "Justice" mini, it's a great new take on some of the vintage DC villians (Riddler actually looks like a bad man). Fun stuff and, as always, great Alex Ross painted art.

While I thought both MARVELS and KINGDOM COME were awesome, Ross just doesn't do it for me anymore. I'm not sure why either.

SteelSD
10-23-2005, 07:43 PM
While I thought both MARVELS and KINGDOM COME were awesome, Ross just doesn't do it for me anymore. I'm not sure why either.

Dunno. Maybe he just got too big too fast (or got too big for his own good). Happened to my favorite artist of all time (John Byrne) and I can't stand looking at his new stuff.

I can say that I wasn't impressed by Ross' oversized JLA hero one-shots (which were so solely art-oriented it turned me off). But he's got a real story to work with in "Justice" and his take on the Riddler's costume (and Braniac) is really refreshing.

TRF
10-25-2005, 09:12 AM
I've also been reading the spoilers for IC, and read a few of the crossover issues, and it looks pretty good. I didn't get to read much of anything on the OMAC's so I'll be hunting for that.

I did finally read my first House of M issue.

blech. didn't hold my attention at all. Never have I hated a set of characters more than Roma, Saturnyne and the Captain Britain Corps, or whatever they are called.(Exiles crossover, and I really love Exiles... great book. Morph rocks.)

And mark me down as a huge fan of the New Avengers. Huge.

SteelSD
10-27-2005, 05:41 PM
I've also been reading the spoilers for IC, and read a few of the crossover issues, and it looks pretty good. I didn't get to read much of anything on the OMAC's so I'll be hunting for that.

I did finally read my first House of M issue.

blech. didn't hold my attention at all. Never have I hated a set of characters more than Roma, Saturnyne and the Captain Britain Corps, or whatever they are called.(Exiles crossover, and I really love Exiles... great book. Morph rocks.)

And mark me down as a huge fan of the New Avengers. Huge.

Yep. New Avengers rocks and now we know who Jessica Jones (SpiderWoman) has a behind-the-scenes pact with.

But you ain't kiddin' about House of M. Not only is the main mini series just plain stupid, I also collect both X-Men and Wolverine. The X-Men HoM issues are just plain unreadable. Ridiculously bad. And Wolverine's HoM issues have no tangented off to a four-issue arc that doesn't even have Wolverine IN IT (it's all Mystique talking about Wolvie in flashbacks), which is a complete waste of incredible Mark Texeira inks (he ain't no "tracer", folks).

I've also picked up The Sentry issues 1 and 2 and will be dropping that book. It's nothing but a convoluted effort to legitimize the character into the Marvel universe and continuity.

Of the Ultimate titles, Ultimate Fantastic Four has been outstanding recently- both storyline and art (Greg Land rules). Ultimate Secret #4 just came out and, hopefully the next of the "Ultimate Galactus" minis will ship on time. Hopefully.

DC has itself a sleeper hit with their Power Girl arc in JSA Classified and issue 4 finally clues us into her actual origin. JLA is a solid book.

Other stuff I'm still reading that's been good...

The Walking Dead (best book going right now)
Y- The Last Man
The Authority: Revolution
The New Avengers
Daredevil

Stuff I've dropped altogether...

Ex Machina (slow is an understatement)
Young Avengers (the art went to crap and I'm not that tied to the characters)

Older stuff that was new to me recently...

The Books of Magic TPB collection
Batman: Dark Victory (every issue)
JLA/JSA: Virtue and Vice TPB
The Golden Age TPB (a real must-read)

Raisor
10-27-2005, 08:34 PM
Yep. New Avengers rocks and now we know who Jessica Jones (SpiderWoman) has a behind-the-scenes pact with.

)

Jessica Jones and Jessica Drew (Spider Woman) are two different characters.

Dope.

:devil:

Raisor
10-27-2005, 08:40 PM
which is a complete waste of incredible Mark Texeira inks (he ain't no "tracer", folks).

Of the Ultimate titles, Ultimate Fantastic Four has been outstanding recently- both storyline and art (Greg Land rules).

It's funny you had both these quotes in your post, since Land most certainly IS a "tracer".

SteelSD
10-27-2005, 10:55 PM
Jessica Jones and Jessica Drew (Spider Woman) are two different characters.

Dope.

:devil:

Bah! Serves me right for not paying attention to the character for oh...25 years or so...:p:

SteelSD
10-27-2005, 10:57 PM
It's funny you had both these quotes in your post, since Land most certainly IS a "tracer".

Couldn't care less. His chicks are hot. That's good enough for me. :D

Now, Greg HORN is a guy I don't care for at all.

TeamCasey
10-29-2005, 08:34 AM
STEPHEN KING BREAKS NEW GROUND AT MARVEL WITH ORIGINAL COMIC SERIES BASED ON HIS EPIC
THE DARK TOWER

Marvel Comics to launch first issue in April 2006
Premium hard cover collection of the first six issues to be released in Holiday 2006

Spring 2006---Stephen King and Marvel Comics join forces to launch a ground-breaking new comic book series adapted from King’s magnum opus, The Dark Tower. King’s unparalleled storytelling power will provide old and new stories that delve into the life and times of the young Roland.

“As a lifelong fan of Marvel comic books, and as an adult reader who’s seen comics “come of age” and take their rightful place in the world of fantasy and science fiction,” says Stephen King. “I’m excited to be a part of Roland’s new incarnation.”

The series will be illustrated by Eisner-award winning artist Jae Lee.

“My life changed overnight when I learned I'd be working with Stephen King!” exclaims Jae Lee. “I know how special The Dark Tower series is to him. I'm incredibly honored that he would allow me to be a guest in his world.”

Raisor
10-29-2005, 02:43 PM
I got to read the first issue of Infinity Crisis last night.

Really cool stuff. The last page rocked.

TRF
10-31-2005, 09:32 AM
guess it's time to take a trip to the comic book shop. I'm actually intrigued by the Stephen King comics, though I generally avoid his books like the plague.

savafan
11-01-2005, 11:53 AM
What I really want to know is when is Squirrel Girl (http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/sqlgrl.htm) going to get her own book?

Raisor
02-24-2006, 08:58 PM
Decided to drag this thread back up.

It's been a couple of weeks since issue 4 of IC came out. If you haven't been reading it, there was a major league all out fight featuring Superboy-Prime and a gaggle of heroes. Many deaths were involved. If Wally doesn't come out of the Speed Force, mark me down as being a grumpy fanboy.
Best issue of the series so far.

I've also caught up with a ton of stuff from last year. Finally read the trade for House of M. Great art, but while I normally dig Bendis, the story stunk. I've now read all (I think) of the IC lead ins. The OMAC series was great (the trade included the Countdown issue with the death of Ted, which I thought was really well done). Gail Simeone's Villians United series was GREAT. Who would have thought that long time mort Cat-Man (of all characters) would develop into a really cool character. Actually ALL the lead in series were great.

Raisor
02-27-2006, 05:11 PM
I'm stuck in Conn for a couple days (Father-in-Law is in the hospital, so I brought the wife up here. I can't stay at the hospital since I have a bad cold and I don't want to risk making him sicker. He's doing much better by the way), so I hung out at the local BN today and did some comic trade reading.

I read the entire Bendis run of Daredevil, in one sitting (aside for The Murdoch Papers, which I don't think is out as a trade yet). I've read the whole thing before, but never in one sitting.

What a great friggin run on a comic. Bendis and Maarav just rule it, and I can't wait for their new Spider-Woman book.

TRF
02-28-2006, 11:27 AM
IC 4 rocked! I can't wait for #5. I'm a little disappointed that some of the OYL stories will be out before the series concludes though.

Raisor
02-28-2006, 08:41 PM
IC 4 rocked! I can't wait for #5. I'm a little disappointed that some of the OYL stories will be out before the series concludes though.

The last issue of IC is actually a OYL story too, so that's why they're doing that.

SteelSD
03-01-2006, 01:54 AM
BTW, if neither of you (Phil) or TRF have picked up "The Walking Dead" first TPB, you must. It's groundbreaking work by Robert Kirkman.

Or you could just throw out $100.00 per copy for first prints of #1 and #2 to see why it's so hot.

Best book on the planet.

Speaking of planets, also check out a sleeper- "Captain Atom: Armageddon". Trust me, it's about a billion times better than I would have thought. Really amazing.

TRF
03-01-2006, 02:42 PM
I saw the TPB at Barnes and Noble, but hadn't picked it up yet. Thanks for the reccomendation.

Have either of you looke at the new Marvel website? pretty decent. They really have a good feel on how to promote the stuff. too bad the writing has gone to crap.

Raisor
03-01-2006, 08:32 PM
really have a good feel on how to promote the stuff. too bad the writing has gone to crap.

If you mean on their books, I couldn't disagree more.

We're in a Golden Age of writers right now. Now, DC probably has a better corp of writers, Marvel isn't that far off: Bendis, BRUBAKER~! (anyone NOT reading his Captain America series should be forced to, at gun point if neccessary..plus he just got started doing Daredevil AND he'll be jumping on Uncanny in a couple of months), Kirkman, Slott (Dude rocks, loving both She-Hulk and Thing). I'm not as huge of Mark Millar as some, but The Ultimates IS an awesome book (his run on Wolverine on the other hand..blah).

Plus up and comers like Greg Pak, Daniel Way, and others.

Add the DC guys/girl (Johns, Busick, Waid, Morrison, Winnick, and Simone) and it's a great time to be a comic fan.

M2
03-02-2006, 12:12 AM
Ahh, it's all been downhill since Steve Gerber left "Howard the Duck."

I've got no idea what's going on in the comic universe these days, but to the point about a great string of artists (and that X-Men string was amazing), the original Micronauts series was as good as any with Mike Golden, Pat Broderick, Gene Colan and Butch Guice.

Raisor
03-02-2006, 05:26 AM
Ahh, it's all been downhill since Steve Gerber left "Howard the Duck."

I've got no idea what's going on in the comic universe these days, but to the point about a great string of artists (and that X-Men string was amazing), the original Micronauts series was as good as any with Mike Golden, Pat Broderick, Gene Colan and Butch Guice.

Just FYI, but Kurt Busick and Butch are revamping Aquaman this month.

M2
03-02-2006, 09:15 AM
Does Guice still ink his drawings? It looked great when he did, but from what I recall it took him forever to do it.

Johnny Footstool
03-02-2006, 09:24 AM
the original Micronauts series was as good as any

Marvel always did a decent job with it's toy and movie tie-ins. Micronauts and Star Wars really stood out. Rom wasn't all that bad, and GI Joe was fair.

TRF
03-02-2006, 10:44 AM

We're in a Golden Age of writers right now. Now, DC probably has a better corp of writers, Marvel isn't that far off: Bendis, BRUBAKER~! (anyone NOT reading his Captain America series should be forced to, at gun point if neccessary..plus he just got started doing Daredevil AND he'll be jumping on Uncanny in a couple of months), Kirkman, Slott (Dude rocks, loving both She-Hulk and Thing). I'm not as huge of Mark Millar as some, but The Ultimates IS an awesome book (his run on Wolverine on the other hand..blah).

Plus up and comers like Greg Pak, Daniel Way, and others.

Add the DC guys/girl (Johns, Busick, Waid, Morrison, Winnick, and Simone) and it's a great time to be a comic fan.

Anything with an X in the title has sucked (at least for me) for well over a year. House of M was a disaster of Secret Wars proportions. Spidey got stingers, and is now sporting Iron Man armor. I get that stories get rehashed, but both Cerebro and the Danger Room came to life within 5 years. At least when it was the Danger Room, the story was interesting.

I like the MAX stuff. I like the Ultimate Universe, what i get to read of it, but President Thor? ok... I love New Avengers, and despite the stingers, loved Spider-Man: The Other. Actually looking forward to Anhillation, so long as the obligatory Thanos appearance is kept to a minimum.

I agree with Johhny that Marvel does great with the toy line, but I'll take it further. They seem to do their very best work on books that are quirky or maybe aren't expected to do well. I was a huge Defenders fan, loved the Micronaughts too.

Also they don't seem to cohesive a unit. Is the Punisher a tough SOB? because in one issue of Wolverine it's hinted he's gay. Now considering all the back story of Frank Castle, why do that?

Johnny Footstool
03-02-2006, 11:46 AM
Is the Punisher a tough SOB? because in one issue of Wolverine it's hinted he's gay.

That was the result of a spat between the Punisher and Wolverine production teams. In "Confederacy of Dunces," Punisher fought and beat Spidey, Wolverine, and Daredevil repeatedly. In turn, the Wolverine team did their best to embarass Punisher.

SteelSD
03-02-2006, 12:17 PM

Ultimates is a great book if you like quasi-quarterly publications. Ditto for Ultimate Iron Man.

Ultimate FF is the best book going from the U-universe right now. Kirkman's zombie storyline and the Namor story were both super reads.

Daredevil and Captain America are great as well, even though "Bucky Dead" doesn't have the same resonance anymore. BTW, he pops up in the latest issue of Wolverine and we find out that ol' Bucky and Logan are connected by something Bucky did.

Marvel Zombies= good. But it's a mini series. New Avengers is good. Runaways is a fun book. There are a couple other odd good reads at this point, but Marvel has been the straggler behind DC for quite some time, mainly because it tied so much of it's universe to the House of M fiasco. IMHO, it's tough for even the best writers when they have to deal with bad plotlines that must hit their books.

Oh, and I just picked up a Fine- copy of Uncanny X-Men #2 off eBay for less than 1/4 of what it's worth. YAY ME!:D

Johnny Footstool
03-02-2006, 12:36 PM
Big Vanisher fan, SD? :D

M2
03-02-2006, 12:49 PM
I was a huge Defenders fan

Beware the six-fingered hand.

Is my favorite geriatric superhero, Gargoyle, still around?

TRF
03-02-2006, 02:51 PM
dunno. I haven't seen him in a while, but i loved him back in the day.

Giant Sized Defenders were awesome. I miss true Giant Size issues.

On a personal note. I know the paper and ink quality today are so much superior to even the eighties, but I think the reduced circulation and prices around $2.50 - $4.00 per issue is making it tough for new fans to the genre.

Johnny Footstool
03-02-2006, 03:52 PM
Is my favorite geriatric superhero, Gargoyle, still around?

I LOVED Gargoyle. Even bought his mini-series -- what a steaming pile that was.

Unfortunately, he turned to dust along with most of the other New Defenders in issue #152 and he hasn't been heard from since then.

SteelSD
03-02-2006, 05:46 PM
Big Vanisher fan, SD? :D

LOL! I'm, of course, impressed with the Vanisher reference, sir.:thumbup:

Nah. It's just that I'm about 25 issues away from the full run (1963-current) on the title and most that I need are the "reprint" issues (#67-#93). As of two years ago, I needed all four "grails" (#1, #2, #94, and Giant Size X-Men #1). I now have the latter three in my possession and anything resembling a mid-grade copy of #2 is VERY hard to come by, much less at below guide.

The copy I have was purchased for $160.00 and was accompanied by a VG to VG+ copy of X-Men #7. I'll be able to turn around and sell that #7 for about $40-$50.00, meaning that the actual investment in #2 is nearer to $120.00. To put that in perspective, a VG copy of #2 just sold for about $240.00 on eBay.

How'd that happen? Dumb seller. Bad title on the auction. Poorly chosen listing time (@12:30 AM on a Friday/Sat). Heh. Mine! MINE!!!

So I'm stoked. Now if someone wants to part with a nice copy of #1 for a little bit of nothin', I'll be even happier. ;)

I've spent very little actual money on the high dollar books in that run. I purchases a Fine copy of GS #1 for $150.00, then came across a poorly listed eBay auction for another F/VF copy (which I got for $72.00). Then a third copy popped up at a weird time (late at night) in Fine- condition and I gobbled that up for $65.00.

Sold the F/VF copy for $250.00, then sold the Fine- copy for $150.00. The resulting profit means that I ended up investing about $35.00 in my collection copy. Then I came across a NM 2nd print of Batman #608 for cover price at the local comic shop. For some reason that's a RARE book so I sold it for $75.00 on eBay and turned that into my VG copy of Uncanny #94.

I think I need to write a book on how to do this stuff because I've turned eBay wheeling and dealing into a virtually free 51" HDTV, a whole slew of nearly free high-value comics, and the new laptop I'm typing on right now. Full run of Wolverine? Free. Full run of Ultimate Spider-Man? Free. Early run of Star Wars #1-20? Free. Free. Not completely "free" for course. My initial investment was about $75.00 after all.

Heck, even got a free NM (NM- at worst) copy of Giant Size Defenders #1 out of the deal (there ya' go, TRF). Free is good.

TRF
03-02-2006, 06:03 PM
Steel, my wife is trying to do something similar with my kids clothes. Not at your level, but she's getting there. And her dad just sniped what is going to be my daughter's car on ebay last week.

Giant sized Defenders? CURSE YOU STEEL! :)

Raisor
03-02-2006, 07:31 PM
The two best Marvel Universe books right now are Captain America & Daredevil.
I really dug the Winter Soldier storyline. Yeah, they brought back Bucky, but it's just a retcon of a retcon. Bucky wasn't "killed" until Stan Lee brought Cap back in the Avengers. The story worked, so I'm not going to complain. Anything for more Brubaker goodness.

Bendis' run on Daredevil is probably second all time only to the classic Frank Miller run (Born Again is still probably my all time favorite comic book story). Brubaker and Lark have some serious shoes to fill, but they were both born to produce this series, so it should be nothing but great.

I've really been diggin DC the most lately, though. Everything since Identity Crisis has been really good. I'm looking forward to most of the OYL stuff, but I have to say, I'm really dreading the new "Flash" writers (couple of guys that worked on the old FLASH tv show, which did in-fact rule, but I'm still scared they'll screw it up). Wally West is probably the very best example of what a true (comic book) "hero" is. He's the most well rounded "real" character in either of the big two.

I'm going to be really cheesed if Wally isn't in the red costume after Crisis.

TRF
03-03-2006, 09:26 AM
Word is the star of the new Flash series won't be the star of issue one, but will be as of issue 2.

for whatever that is worth. I'm picking up IC #5 today. Steel, i showed my wife your post about what you have done on Ebay. she's jazzed and wants to do something similar. She's got the Ebay skills and I'm a web developer, so we got that for making pages look ok. And I need a 60 inch DLP. :)

TRF
03-03-2006, 09:27 AM
Steel, do you have any idea what the Forge (CrossGen) TPB's are going for? I can get my hands on a complete set pretty cheap.

SteelSD
03-03-2006, 12:11 PM
Steel, do you have any idea what the Forge (CrossGen) TPB's are going for? I can get my hands on a complete set pretty cheap.

Define "cheap". If you mean like a buck or two each because you want to read them, then ok. Otherwise, don't waste your time as they're not a decent re-sell item (a set of 3-5 just went unsold at $3.99 on eBay).

Maybe one day, CrossGen will be the "next" Valiant in that bored collectors will attempt to grab every book ever issued by the company but right now it appears that even the TPB's are $0.50 bin fodder.

And good luck to you and the wife on the eBay thing, TRF. But a 60" DLP? Do you have a cavern for a living room?? That's HUGE.

Anyway, a couple things I learned:

Focus on two or three things and make sure you know your buy and sell prices backwards and forwards. I specialize in buying and selling a couple things- comics and comic-related material, collectible games (particularly MTG and Star Wars Miniatures). I also seem to have an eye for antique dolls found at auction. My mother is a professional doll restoration artist so I've learned a few things via osmosis.

If you take a stab at selling comics be sure your grading is precise and it's always better to downgrade by half a grade if it's questionable. I've sold a number of most likely solid NM books at NM-minus just to hedge my bets and I've never had a buyer question my grading. I also have had good success writing detailed "defects/attributes" descriptions for mid-grade books. For example, I may grade a book at Fine-minus, but I might also note that it "Displays as a VF copy". People eat that up because they'll pay a premium for a mid-grade book that shows off better to their friends.

And always be on the lookout for stuff you can sell because you can get lucky that way. I hit on a couple items that I wasn't even looking to buy. Last year I purchased six early (6 of the first 13 made) Randy Bowen Marvel mini-busts for a total of $80.00 from a pawn shop. I turned around and sold them for $920.00 (Thor netted me about $250.00 all by himself). Came across a large lot of complete Viewmaster reel packets from the 1950's at an auction and grabbed them for $25.00. Sold them for over $250.00. Yeah. Viewmaster reel packets. Local comic store owner sold me four Wolverine #20 RRP cover variants for $5.00 each. Sold them for a combined $280.00. Local auctions are a Godsend. Pawn shops are good. But for some reason, antique shops are mostly just the Devil for me. Can't find a bargain at one to save my life.

If you have an eye for stuff like that, eBay can be the alchemy of the 21st century. For less than $150.00 invested in the above items, I had almost $1,500.00 in the PayPal account. At that point I started buying up large Star Wars minis and comic book collections- never paying more than half the resale value (which is eBay, not "guide", value) while continually cycling funds to build more inventory to cycle for more funds. AND, along the way, was able to keep a bunch of great stuff for free. Buy large lot, keep the books you need, sell the rest for a profit.

Over the past year, my overall investment to "start up" was less than $250.00 and the total sales probably ended up around the $9,000.00 mark. But the funny thing is that all but about $75.00 of that $250.00 was actually profit re-invested. At one point, I had about five grand just sitting in the PayPal account with an additional couple thousand bucks out on purchases. And I was just doing it part time. Still have about three grand of inventory just waiting to be sold. Wish I had the time right now. Sigh.

Also, suppress your web developer instincts to build dramatic cool eBay auction pages. Remember, many folks still have dial-up internet and even if they don't simple is generally better. The key is to just give a solid pic (or three) of the item. Not too large because it'll slow up refresh rate, but not too small so that the item isn't clear. For condition-sensitive stuff, make sure the pic is larger and able to be supersized. Write good (and I mean GOOD) descriptions, ship in boxes (and note that in your auctions), and always with Delivery Confirmation (note that in your auctions as well). eBay also has a good free application you can download (TurboLister) and use to "template" your auctions and upload them to eBay 'en masse rather than having to work directly online. Much easier and faster.

There's more, but I don't want to turn the comic book thread into eBay central so if you want a couple other "tricks", PM me and I'll be happy to help.:)

TRF
03-03-2006, 01:47 PM
My wife and i discussed the web part. Ebay offers tools to jazz things up (at a cost of course) but it is simpl html for me. a few tables, BG colors, borders, etc. no BG images for me... i detest them.

I was thinking the comic route, but have not been a collector in a looooong time, so those skills are very rusty. more of a reader now. i think sports cards are waaaay oversaturated.

Niche collecting seems to be the thing. My wife put a stuffed Woody Woodpecker, just a regular stuffed animal bought at Wal-mart on and got a bid immediately. So, I'm thinking that might be our thing. Tom and Jerry, Warner Brothers, Popeye. as old and as much as i can find.

Back to Comics.

Does anyone think this may be the year of oversaturation as far as comicbook fils goes? I count 3-4 major films released within 4 months of each other. (Ghost Rider, Spiderman 3, X-3 and Superman)

M2
03-04-2006, 07:03 PM
Just curious, is Cerebus the Aardvark still bouncing around?

Raisor
03-04-2006, 07:15 PM
Just curious, is Cerebus the Aardvark still bouncing around?

Dave Sims is either finished with it, or very close to it.

Longest limited series EVER.

TRF
03-06-2006, 12:00 PM
Ambush Bug vs Quantis the Koala that walks like a Man.

One of my all time favorites. Nik nik.

Johnny Footstool
03-06-2006, 12:57 PM
Does anyone think this may be the year of oversaturation as far as comicbook fils goes? I count 3-4 major films released within 4 months of each other. (Ghost Rider, Spiderman 3, X-3 and Superman)

I thought Spidey 3 was set for Summer 2007.

TRF
03-06-2006, 07:04 PM
I could be wrong. But i thought it was this year.

Raisor
03-06-2006, 08:14 PM
I could be wrong. But i thought it was this year.

nope, it's next year.

Superman is the big one for this year.

X-Men 3 will stink.

Gainesville Red
03-06-2006, 11:50 PM
I just saw the X-men 3 trailer. It looked pretty cool.
http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/t...iler/large.html

SteelSD
03-07-2006, 12:23 AM
nope, it's next year.

X-Men 3 will stink.

X3 is going to rock. Juggernaut. Colossus. Dark Phoenix. Beast. Angel.

C'mon!

TRF
03-07-2006, 12:38 AM
boy, the hype machine for Spider-man 3 is off the hook then. X-3 looks cool to me too.

SteelSD
03-07-2006, 01:15 AM
boy, the hype machine for Spider-man 3 is off the hook then. X-3 looks cool to me too.

Yep. And I forgot the Morlocks are in it too.

BTW, I brought in my shiny new X-Men #2 to show off to the owner of the local comic shop (more of a bookstore that sells comics than a true shop), figuring that I'll razz the owner because he's also an X-Men collector.

He looked at it, said "Nice!", then walked behind the counter and grabbed the solid VG X-Men #1 he purchased two days earlier at "dealer" price (half of guide).

I will hate him for at least two weeks. :angry:

Raisor
03-07-2006, 05:49 AM
X3 is going to rock. Juggernaut. Colossus. Dark Phoenix. Beast. Angel.

C'mon!

The Rush Hour dude is directing. It'll suck.

TRF
03-07-2006, 09:22 AM
Jackie Chan is directing? cool. :)

Johnny Footstool
03-07-2006, 09:58 AM
X-3 looks good, but when you switch directors and throw in too many story elements and way too many villains, you end up with schlock like "Batman and Robin."

TRF
03-07-2006, 02:08 PM
Ugh. now that was a baaaaaaad movie.

awful.

Now for a truly underrated comic book movie, I nominate The Hulk. IMO Ang Lee did a fantastic job. A little creative license with the origin, but the hatred of his father, his mother being murdered all close to the true origin.

Plus nothing beats seeing the Hulk kick the crap out of a poodle.

LoganBuck
03-07-2006, 02:14 PM
As a closet X-Men fan I think that the trailer looks way too busy. Hopefully the movie won't be. Otherwise you end up trying to connect all the dots. Look at the horrible Matrix sequels much of that was trying to tie up too many loose ends. It became too cerebral, action movies should be about the action not the why.

Sabo Fan
03-07-2006, 02:54 PM
nope, it's next year.

X-Men 3 will stink.

I get the same feeling about X3 as well. I don't want it to be bad, but I don't have high expectations. For some reason they've all got it in their heads that this has to be the last X-Men movie (maybe because Halle Berry doesn't want to do them anymore, which is a terrible reason if that's true) so for that reason they're going to try and cram all this stuff in the movie and will likely kill off some core characters simply for shock value. It's the wrong way to go about doing a movie like this.

TRF
03-07-2006, 05:56 PM
The X-men can go on without Storm. Wolvie on the other hand makes the movie. Hugh Jackman is perfect casting. Anna Paquin is also great as Rogue, and they nailed, absolutely nailed Nightcrawler. I hope they do as well with Beast.

Really looking forward to Ghost Rider. Nick Cage seems a good fit here.

Sabo Fan
03-07-2006, 11:01 PM
The X-men can go on without Storm. Wolvie on the other hand makes the movie. Hugh Jackman is perfect casting. Anna Paquin is also great as Rogue, and they nailed, absolutely nailed Nightcrawler. I hope they do as well with Beast.

Believe me, I agree with you about X-Men being able to go on without Storm, it's just that those involved with making the movies seem to think it's critical that they have her around and for that reason they seem bent on this being the last movie.

SteelSD
03-08-2006, 12:18 AM

Really looking forward to Ghost Rider. Nick Cage seems a good fit here.

Yeah, I think Cage will be very good. And I hate to disagree with you about the Hulk flick, but that movie bored me to tears for about the first hour.

And I agree- Jackman makes an excellent Wolverine. Mind you, I'd still have loved to see how Dougray Scott would have handled the role but Jackman worked out better than I could have possibly anticipated as Scott's replacement.

The guy I'm most looking forward to see in X3 is Daniel Cudmore's Colossus. Same kid who played him in X2. And I can't much think of a better Juggernaut than Vinnie Jones, although I expect to be disappointed by the lack of size vs. the comic book version. Oh well. I think Grammer will be fine in makeup as the Beast. And Ellen Page as Kitty Pryde is also good casting.

Ben Foster (HBO's Six Feet Under)was an...umm...interesting choice to play Warren Worthington though. Seems too short (but then Hugh Jackman IS too tall) and too unimposing to play Warren Worthington . And I'm not completely sure about this, but it appears that (other than Stan Lee), Foster is the first guy to have appeared in a goodly portion of one Marvel flick (The Punisher) to have a big role in another (X3).

Other characters making an appearance (from IMDB):

Callisto
Jamie Madrox
Psylocke
Moira MacTaggart
Dr. Kavita Rao
Leech
Siryn (again)
Jubilee (again)
Bolivar Trask

I expect Callisto, Moira, Dr. Rao, and Trask to have more than just bit roles, but no idea as to the length of appearance of the rest.

Personally, I think X3 is going to be great. Yeah, losing Singer sucks. But I expect that this flick, more than the others, is going to be balls-to-the-wall action and I do think Ratner can pull that off.

Oh, btw, if anyone's interested it does appear that the X3 trailer is now available in HD. Cool!

GAC
03-08-2006, 09:26 AM
I know this will make you sad Kori, but I lost everyone of my comic books in that fire. I am pretty bummed. I listed them on the insurance declaration, so I am gonna see what they do with it. The adjuster called me last night and said he is trying his best. But no amount of money came replace those memories/collectables IMO.

Johnny Footstool
03-08-2006, 09:27 AM
The guy I'm most looking forward to see in X3 is Daniel Cudmore's Colossus. Same kid who played him in X2. And I can't much think of a better Juggernaut than Vinnie Jones, although I expect to be disappointed by the lack of size vs. the comic book version. Oh well. I think Grammer will be fine in makeup as the Beast. And Ellen Page as Kitty Pryde is also good casting.

I'm looking forward to an expanded role for Colossus, too. I nearly stood up and cheered in X2 when he stepped into that doorway and armored up. He needs a bit more of a Russian accent, though -- he didn't really have one in his few lines in X2.

The most disappointing thing about the X movies has been their treatment of Cyclops. Few lines and only one good scene in each movie for the first X-man. Instead, he's the brunt of jokes (Backstreet Boys in his CD player? Come on!) or a scowling, jealous boyfriend/husband.

TRF
03-08-2006, 09:32 AM
Nah, you are way off base on the Hulk. The problem is the promotion was all Hulk tossing tanks. The story was really what lead to the Hulk. Bana was perfect casting, and Jennifer Connely <drool> was great as Betty.

Even the end was great as Bruce tries to remember something good about his father even as he is destroying him. Really underrated movie IMO. I liked it better than the 1st X-Men movie and the first Spiderman. Both sequels trumped their respective first films.

There has been nothing about Ghost Rider since that very short trailer, which I find curious.

I just bought IC #5, and Rann-Thanagar War #1. So, Kyle is Ion again. And the Guardians seem bent on being the badasses of the universe. I tried to read House of M at B&N, but man was it ever convoluted. How many time will Marvel retcon their universe for 10-12 issues then put everything back? I mean I loved Age of Apokalypse. great concept. But they are into the re-working of reality just a tad too much.

SteelSD
03-08-2006, 01:07 PM
I know this will make you sad Kori, but I lost everyone of my comic books in that fire. I am pretty bummed. I listed them on the insurance declaration, so I am gonna see what they do with it. The adjuster called me last night and said he is trying his best. But no amount of money came replace those memories/collectables IMO.

After being concerned about the bunch of other things more important to you than the comics, I did wonder about that.

But if your insurance adjustor is able to get you compensated for those, I'd be very happy. Generally stuff like that needs its own insurance. But the best thing is that they (unlike true heirlooms and pictures, scrapbooks, etc.) are replaceable commodities and I'd be happy to do whatever I can to help out. Yes, you lost YOUR books. But in college I had to sell MY X-Men collection. Since then I've replaced them all and a funny thing happened when I did that...

The replacement books became MINE again. Might be different paper, but I found out that it wasn't having the books that made them special in the first place. When I grabbed X-Men 113 off eBay, my thought wasn't about the X-Men 113 I had "lost". It was about the grocery store in northern North Dakota where I first discovered it as a kid. My brain took me back to Winnipeg, Manitoba when it was time to grab a new copy of #137 online and I remembered, with a great deal of joy, about how my mother purchased my first copy of that book and an accompanying #138 for my birthday during our visit to the first real comic book shop I'd ever seen. Back then money was tight and it wasn't a small thing for her to spend a whopping (at the time) $20.00 on two back issues I couldn't find.

That's the beauty of collecting for me. The books are secondary to the journey.

If you choose to look for replacements, you might find that the quest reinvigorates your love of collecting as well. Losing them was bad. But re-acquiring them- especially if you enlist the aid of your children- could be a whole lot of fun all over again. And with every book replaced, your kids get to learn more about their dad.

I know you gave many of those books to your kids. But from my experience, the only thing better than getting something from a parent is getting something WITH a parent.:)

SteelSD
03-08-2006, 01:17 PM
Nah, you are way off base on the Hulk. The problem is the promotion was all Hulk tossing tanks. The story was really what lead to the Hulk. Bana was perfect casting, and Jennifer Connely <drool> was great as Betty.

Even the end was great as Bruce tries to remember something good about his father even as he is destroying him. Really underrated movie IMO. I liked it better than the 1st X-Men movie and the first Spiderman. Both sequels trumped their respective first films.

Hey, you liked it more than I. Ok. I purchased the DVD too because it's good background noise fun when I'm online and there's nothing else on TV. I bought Daredevil for the same reason.

But, to me, that whole Hulk origin was so convoluted I could hardly stand it. The fact that the gang tried to "humanize" the Hulk's face (teddy bear Hulk) was beyond annoying to me. Throw in the idea that Banner's father is the Absorbing Man, and it just plain lost me.

There has been nothing about Ghost Rider since that very short trailer, which I find curious.

That flick is going to live and breathe off how well Cage plays the part and special effects.

I just bought IC #5, and Rann-Thanagar War #1. So, Kyle is Ion again. And the Guardians seem bent on being the badasses of the universe. I tried to read House of M at B&N, but man was it ever convoluted. How many time will Marvel retcon their universe for 10-12 issues then put everything back? I mean I loved Age of Apokalypse. great concept. But they are into the re-working of reality just a tad too much.

That's Marvel's schtick. Dunno why they keep doing it. Quesada was exactly the right guy to take over a few years back and the Marvel Knights line was genius. But he's gone all nutso lately. Time for a change.

TRF
03-08-2006, 03:06 PM
I didn't think of Absorbing Man, though that is pretty dead on. I thought more of Zaxx (sp?) and a few of the guys the Leader pulled together. And you are right that I liked it more than you. I thought "Teddy Hulk" was a good idea. Reminded me of all the scenes in the comics where you see the hulk in the woods with a deer. He's calm until he isn't.

Speaking of Marvel for a sec. I wasn't thrilled with the whole Doom gets sent to Hell, then to another dimension stuff. Or the FF going to Heaven to "rescue" Ben.

I think it's time I looked at a few independents. Marvel has my interest piqued with the upcoming "Civil War", but I am wondering if it will be enough.

As to what you were telling GAC about replacing his comics, it kinda took me back to the first comic i remember reading. 1976 (i think) What if Daredevil weren't blind? My first comic was a What if?.. And I was hooked.

Raisor
03-08-2006, 04:40 PM
As a general rule, I've enjoyed DC books much more then Marvel the last couple years, BUT Ed Brubaker's Captain America series is easily the best (super hero) book on the market today. Joss Whedon/John Cassidy's Astonishing X-Men book rocks too. The Danger-Room arc wasn't great, a)Whedon could make the yellow pages interesting b) the "fastball special" in the first arc makes the whole series instantly awesome.

TRF,
You mentioned "President Thor" the other day (and rolled your eyes), but I just read the issue of UFF, and it was actually pretty good (and it was Mark Millar on a Ultimate book, which is what he does best). Kinda teaches the lesson of "if you're going to muck around with a time machine, you're going to wind up with an psycho ex-male nurse with a big hammer as your President."

So, don't be messing with time machines.

That'll learn ya.

SteelSD
03-08-2006, 06:52 PM
Speaking of Marvel for a sec. I wasn't thrilled with the whole Doom gets sent to Hell, then to another dimension stuff. Or the FF going to Heaven to "rescue" Ben.

Haven't read FF regularly for about 15 years (quit shortly after Byrne's amazing run on the book). Nothing FF since then really piqued my interest enough to return to the title.

I think it's time I looked at a few independents. Marvel has my interest piqued with the upcoming "Civil War", but I am wondering if it will be enough.

Trade Paperback collections you MUST pick up:

1. The Walking Dead (Robert Kirkman)
2. Planetary (Warren Ellis/John Cassiday)
3. The Authority <first run> (Ellis/Millar/Bryan Hitch/Frank Quitely)
4. Preacher (Garth Ennis)
5. Y The Last Man (Brian K. Vaughan)

Of those four, the best actual superhero book is Planetary. The Walking Dead is just the best current ongoing story. Preacher is NOT for the faint of heart. You know it's wrong while you're reading it but you MUST continue reading it. Nearly ditto for The Authority. Y the Last Man is the best global concept for a book since Watchmen and even chicks dig it.

One shots or single-volume collections:

1. Watchmen (Alan Moore)
2. The Golden Age (James Robinson)
3. The Books of Magic (Neil Gaiman) <mini series>
4. We3 (Grant Morrison/Quitely)
5. JLA- Earth 2 (Grant Morrison/Quitely)
6. The Pro (Garth Ennis/Amanda Conner)

Watchmen is the best read possibly ever. The Golden Age is a true masterpiece by the most underrated writer out there (Robinson). The Books of Magic mini series was just amazing stuff and introduced us to Tim Hunter (Earth's version of Dr. Strange). We3 is AMAZING and had me up at night thinking about it. Both We3 and JLA- Earth 2 are examples of Morrison and Quitely at their best. The Pro? So wrong. Yet so hilariously right. Hookers need super powers too.

You cannot go wrong with any of those titles. I own them all in one form or another.

ochre
03-08-2006, 07:33 PM
I actually liked V for Vendetta quite well too as far as on-shot/single volumes go. Will be interesting to see the movie treatment.

GAC
03-08-2006, 07:45 PM
I was pretty disappointed in both the Hulk and FF movies. My perception of these comics was molded from growing up reading them in the early 60's, so I think they really "Hollywood-ized" them both too much. Took too much liberty IMO.

I thought the computer generated graphics were very good with the Hulk character; but the Thing reminded me too much of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I hated what they did with the Dr Doom character. But I though the Johnny Storm character, and the relationship/tension between the Torch and the Thing was right on.

I just think the plots/storylines for both of these movies could have been better written.

I just hope they do a better job with the new Superman. I never cared for the Christopher Reeves portrayal at all. Too hokey for me.

I thought Keaton did a good job with Batman. But they should have stopped there. The sequels, except for the second one with the Penguin, were downright stupid.

Batman Begins has really grown on me though. Good flick IMO.

Raisor
03-09-2006, 05:55 AM
Haven't read FF regularly for about 15 years (quit shortly after Byrne's amazing run on the book). Nothing FF since then really piqued my interest enough to return to the title.

Dude, you really need to pick up Mark Waid and RINGO's run on the book (they're all in trades). Great stuff all around.

TRF
03-09-2006, 01:32 PM
I had completely blanked FF from my mind. Though Johnny Storm was pretty dead on, and Reed was ok, the rest of it just blew.

I just saw the new trailer for X-3. Looks to have plenty of action.

Joss Whedon is continuing the Firefly series in a new comic called Serenity. Picks up where the movie left off. Whedon has not been announced as the writer yet, but he has given his blessing. He's also doing A Buffy comic as well.

Raisor
03-09-2006, 07:57 PM
I had completely blanked FF from my mind. Though Johnny Storm was pretty dead on, and Reed was ok, the rest of it just blew.

I just saw the new trailer for X-3. Looks to have plenty of action.

Joss Whedon is continuing the Firefly series in a new comic called Serenity. Picks up where the movie left off. Whedon has not been announced as the writer yet, but he has given his blessing. He's also doing A Buffy comic as well.

I've read a couple interviews with Whedon where he's said he'll be writing at least the first arcs of both Buffy and Serenity/Firefly.

TRF
03-12-2006, 04:50 PM
OK Steel, My wife just found this while cleaning out our closet. 1972 The Amazing Sipderman. A Rockomic! Album cover is worn, with a small notch near the top left. The album itself is in very good condition. no visible scratches. Has the original sleeve. Worth anything?

SteelSD
03-12-2006, 07:40 PM
OK Steel, My wife just found this while cleaning out our closet. 1972 The Amazing Sipderman. A Rockomic! Album cover is worn, with a small notch near the top left. The album itself is in very good condition. no visible scratches. Has the original sleeve. Worth anything?

About 10-15 bucks.

The only Spidey record set worth real money is a set produced in 1966 that came with a reprint of ASM #1. Those in nice shape with both the record and comic can go for $300.00 or more.

TRF
03-13-2006, 09:26 AM
Kinda what I thought. I might just keep it, as it is just hokey enough to be cool.

TRF
04-06-2006, 03:04 PM
Well I just picked up Infinite Crisis #6.

At times, I really like the writing. And some times, not so much. Loved the SBP/Black Adam fight. But if the Flashes kept SBP trapped under red sunlight for years, how did he escape? years? And wich Flash emerged at the end of IC 5? Why don't we see him in issue 6?

Also, did Ted Kord have the Blue Beetle Scarab? If he did, why are the Lanterns just now getting skittish to it?

Looking forward to the conclusion, but it seems like DC dropped the ball a bit with this one. Maybe Marvel will do better with Civil War.

Jaycint
04-30-2006, 07:17 PM
Hey guys, I am thinking about jumping back into the comic book thing (was recently informed that I need a hobby besides annoying the girlfirend :) ). Back when I was into it before I collected G.I Joe, Conan, Captain America, etc.

My question is this, where is a good place to buy protective sleeves and thing like that in the greater Cincinnati/northern Kentucky area? I know there is a Comic Book World out on Turfway Road in Florence but is there some other newer or better place I can go? Also is there a reliable online place I can go to order supplies like this?

ochre
04-30-2006, 07:53 PM
I don't know the Cincy scene at all, but bookery fantasy in Fairborn (Dayton area) is pretty good.

GIK
04-30-2006, 09:20 PM
I'm through Infinite Crisis #5, but my local shop ran out of #6 and I'm waiting on the darn second printing. I really like the series thus far and can't wait to start on the 1-Year-Later storyline (Supes only for me, I can't get started on multiple books).

Raisor
05-01-2006, 05:51 AM
I'm through Infinite Crisis #5, but my local shop ran out of #6 and I'm waiting on the darn second printing. I really like the series thus far and can't wait to start on the 1-Year-Later storyline (Supes only for me, I can't get started on multiple books).

The Superman OYL books have both been great so far (both Action and Superman). Writen by Kurk Busick and Geoff Johns with art by Pete Woods. Really good.

TRF
05-02-2006, 03:45 PM
I have 2 copies of IC #6, one of each cover. a gift from my beautiful wife. Just a few days away from #7

Has anyone checked out Marvel's digital comics? very slick.

SteelSD
05-02-2006, 05:40 PM
Well I just picked up Infinite Crisis #6.

At times, I really like the writing. And some times, not so much. Loved the SBP/Black Adam fight. But if the Flashes kept SBP trapped under red sunlight for years, how did he escape? years? And wich Flash emerged at the end of IC 5? Why don't we see him in issue 6?

Also, did Ted Kord have the Blue Beetle Scarab? If he did, why are the Lanterns just now getting skittish to it?

Looking forward to the conclusion, but it seems like DC dropped the ball a bit with this one. Maybe Marvel will do better with Civil War.

Didn't even see that question, TRF. The Scarab appears to have been in the wizard Shazam's possession rather than Kord's. When the Rock of Eternity was destroyed, the Scarab (and a ton of other magical items) was flung far away and found by the new Blue Beetle.

And I'm with Raisor- the Superman OYL storyline is really good so far.

Sabo Fan
05-02-2006, 08:41 PM
Didn't even see that question, TRF. The Scarab appears to have been in the wizard Shazam's possession rather than Kord's. When the Rock of Eternity was destroyed, the Scarab (and a ton of other magical items) was flung far away and found by the new Blue Beetle.

And I'm with Raisor- the Superman OYL storyline is really good so far.

I think the Wizard Shazam took the scarab from Kord in Countdown to Crisis, but I was under the impression that Kord had it for some time before that, or at least that's the way it was written.

I haven't been reading the Superman OYL series but I do have the first couple issues of the Batman OYL Face the Face storyline. Apparently Dectective 818 sold out around here so I'm missing Part 3 for the time being, but 1, 2, and 4 have been real solid. A return to a kinder, gentler Batman, or at the very least one who isn't a huge jerk. He's still Batman, to the point and all, but not the paranoid, jackass Batman that had been around for awhile. I like Robinson's writing and the art is good so I'm a little hestitant about the changeover to Dini coming up, but I'm optimistic because I like the way Batman was portrayed in the DC Animated Universe and Dini had significant input with that.

Gainesville Red
05-03-2006, 02:14 PM
I read an article today that said today is a big day in the comic book business. DC's big event is ending and Marvel's big event is starting. I haven't gotten any comic books since I was just a little Gainesville Red, but after reading this thread and the article I'm a little curious. I'm done with classes and have a little bit of extra money, maybe I'll make my way to the comic books store a little later.

Sabo Fan
05-03-2006, 02:53 PM
For those interested, the new Superman Returns trailer is up on http://www.supermanreturns.com. Pretty nice looking, although I wonder if we're looking at something happening similar to the original Batman where the villain sort of overshadowed the hero. Either way, my expectations are higher than they were originally.

Oh, and a little tidbit I read yesterday about who the new Flash will be. Not confirmation or anything, but the article on IGN suggested that the new guy's identity will make sense if you think about the aging of Superboy-Prime. This could be old news to those of you more in the loop than I, or maybe just more observant, but I thought I'd pass it along.

TRF
05-03-2006, 03:17 PM
Trailer looks decent. Anyone heard anything about Nick Cage's Ghost Rider flick?

edit: Feb of 2007 is the release date.

here is the teaser (http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/ghostrider/site/rider.html)

Gainesville Red
05-03-2006, 06:37 PM
So I indeed went to the comic book shop today after probably a 15 year absence. It was interesting, and fun. I bought like $20 bucks worth of comic books, and chatted w/ the comic book guy behind the counter. He seemed like a normal guy, who's only fault is being a braves fan. Not at all like the comic book guy from the Simpsons. I bought Marvel's big event, Civil War, and couldn't believe how "grown up" the marvel universe has become. But not in a bad way, it was actually pretty enjoyable, and I may even buy the rest of the series.

Other comics I bought: Blue Beetle #2, Freindly Neighborhood Spiderman #8, Ultimate Spiderman #94, Infinate Crisis #7, and Exiles #80.

Sort of a fun, remember when you were little, type of day.

TRF
05-03-2006, 10:00 PM
IC 7 is out? I am so there tomorrow.

Gainesville Red
05-04-2006, 01:31 AM
IC 7 is out? I am so there tomorrow.

It was entertaining, lots of fighting, even though I didn't understand what was going on.

Sabo Fan
05-04-2006, 02:35 AM
It was entertaining, lots of fighting, even though I didn't understand what was going on.

Just pick up the trade paperback when it comes out, that'll take care of things. Considered waiting and doing that myself, but I decided it would be nice to add a few issues to my collection.

I thought IC #7 was good, liked it a lot. A portion of the ending might draw the ire of some, but I was ok with it. Once you read it you'll see what I mean.

Picked up Detective #819 as well and I thought I'd dip my toe in to test the Marvel waters and also got Civil War #1. Detective dragged a little after three really good issues (I'm missing part 3 so I can't speak for that one), but overall it wasn't bad. Civil War has me intrigued now so I'll probably end up getting the remaining issues. The only problem is that other than the major Marvel characters I don't know who anyone is, unlike DC where I have a much better idea. Oh well, that's a minor complaint.

GIK
05-04-2006, 06:37 PM
Just read IC #6 and #7 and I too liked them both. I also picked up the first four parts of the Superman/Action crossover. Those are what I'm really looking forward to.

SteelSD
05-05-2006, 12:22 AM
I think the Wizard Shazam took the scarab from Kord in Countdown to Crisis, but I was under the impression that Kord had it for some time before that, or at least that's the way it was written.

After further research, I think you're right. I've had almost a "Crisis" long gap with the DC universe. Until Identity Crisis, I largely ignored it as the secondary company it was for over a decade. In the late 1980's, Kord apparantly thought the Scarab had been destroyed. I thought it passed into Shazam's hands. But, alas, you're right that the BB "death" storyline indicated that it was taken from Kord by Shazam during his visit. My bad.

I haven't been reading the Superman OYL series but I do have the first couple issues of the Batman OYL Face the Face storyline. Apparently Dectective 818 sold out around here so I'm missing Part 3 for the time being, but 1, 2, and 4 have been real solid. A return to a kinder, gentler Batman, or at the very least one who isn't a huge jerk. He's still Batman, to the point and all, but not the paranoid, jackass Batman that had been around for awhile. I like Robinson's writing and the art is good so I'm a little hestitant about the changeover to Dini coming up, but I'm optimistic because I like the way Batman was portrayed in the DC Animated Universe and Dini had significant input with that.

I'm optimistic that the "52" series can shed light on Wayne's transformation. That being said, I wonder if the "kindler, gentler Batman" isn't a way for DC to create separation from the All Star universe (where Batman is an even bigger jerk than the regular iteration).

SteelSD
05-05-2006, 12:44 AM
Just pick up the trade paperback when it comes out, that'll take care of things. Considered waiting and doing that myself, but I decided it would be nice to add a few issues to my collection.

I wish I could wait for the TPB on any number of books. I like TPB's as substitutes for expensive back issues (I collected Preacher and the first issues of Y The Last Man via TPB), but in many cases I buy a TPB and just have to collect the actual issues. Call me crazy that I want the story in first print.

I thought IC #7 was good, liked it a lot. A portion of the ending might draw the ire of some, but I was ok with it. Once you read it you'll see what I mean.

I wish the issue weren't recent enough that we could post "spoiler" info without ruining things for others. IC #7 was just plain excellent. A great closing chapter to to Crisis on Infinite Earths and a super opening to a brand new threat that might pop up at any time. There is a portion of the ending (which is really a prologue) where a major player gets his comeuppance. But we don't actually see the result of that and based on what happened during that meeting between three pretty bad guys, I wonder if we won't see a new version of an old villian (Harvey Dent). Maybe I'm just crazy, but that whole scene was a setup.

Picked up Detective #819 as well and I thought I'd dip my toe in to test the Marvel waters and also got Civil War #1. Detective dragged a little after three really good issues (I'm missing part 3 so I can't speak for that one), but overall it wasn't bad. Civil War has me intrigued now so I'll probably end up getting the remaining issues. The only problem is that other than the major Marvel characters I don't know who anyone is, unlike DC where I have a much better idea. Oh well, that's a minor complaint.

If Marvel does anything right with Civil War, it's going to be that it keeps the storyline more isolated to the core mini-series. But, alas, it won't. I know this because I've already seen the cross-over and tie-in title list for that event and it's plain uncollectible. I like the fact that Captain America is a MAJOR player in this, but a person on a budget simply can't buy all the issues they'd need to get the whole story. That's unfortunate because it's something Marvel should have learned from DC after Marvel's "House of M" fiasco.

<Pseudo-Spoiler Alert....you've been warned>

Speaking of not so well done, DC had a great opportunity to rightly time Captain Atom's return to the DC universe but missed the mark because of the delays on the "Captain Atom- Armageddon" 9-issue mini-series on the Wildstorm brand. That's a real issue considering events in IC #7 and The Battle for Bludhaven #1-2. That ticks me off because Captain Atom is one of the most underrated players in the DCU. BTW, just for folks who are paying attention- how do you think Ion is going to respond the the return of MF after KR as GL left him as a head on an asteriod in deep space as final retribution for killing his gf when he became GL? Youch.

Sabo Fan
05-05-2006, 02:40 AM
I'm optimistic that the "52" series can shed light on Wayne's transformation. That being said, I wonder if the "kindler, gentler Batman" isn't a way for DC to create separation from the All Star universe (where Batman is an even bigger jerk than the regular iteration).

I'm debating on whether or not to get into the 52 series. I'm interested, but that's a decent amount of money to be spending on comic books. I may test the waters and see if I like it or not. I wonder how much the series will get into the "Big Three" and their time away. I was under the impression that it would focus largely on Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, and some of the secondary heroes and leave the year-long absence of Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman to be explained in their own titles.

Oh, on All-Star Batman and Robin: I really want to like that series. At first I thought it might be a prequel to Miller's Dark Knight Returns, and while it may be, it's not any good. I flipped through them the other day and they just seem to sit in the car the whole time. Boring. Maybe that's one where I wait for the trade paperback because right now it isn't worth it. I like the idea that DC creates an answer to Marvel's Ultimate universe, but so far the Batman series isn't good and from what I hear the Superman series isn't great either.

Sabo Fan
05-05-2006, 02:54 AM
I wish the issue weren't recent enough that we could post "spoiler" info without ruining things for others. IC #7 was just plain excellent. A great closing chapter to to Crisis on Infinite Earths and a super opening to a brand new threat that might pop up at any time. There is a portion of the ending (which is really a prologue) where a major player gets his comeuppance. But we don't actually see the result of that and based on what happened during that meeting between three pretty bad guys, I wonder if we won't see a new version of an old villian (Harvey Dent). Maybe I'm just crazy, but that whole scene was a setup.

I wondered about the exact same thing when I read the part concerning that little get together of the bad guys at the end, but then I thought about the next panel. Not sure there's anyone that could come back from that blast and I'm guessing the two others involved would finish the job. Looked career-ending to me. Although this is comics we're talking about here. I think a Brainiac-like return for the character in question is possible, where he's found a way to upload part of himself into something or other. That's a shot in the dark from me though.

If Marvel does anything right with Civil War, it's going to be that it keeps the storyline more isolated to the core mini-series. But, alas, it won't. I know this because I've already seen the cross-over and tie-in title list for that event and it's plain uncollectible. I like the fact that Captain America is a MAJOR player in this, but a person on a budget simply can't buy all the issues they'd need to get the whole story. That's unfortunate because it's something Marvel should have learned from DC after Marvel's "House of M" fiasco.

All I'll be buying is the core series, so I'll just have to piece things together I guess. I'm not enough of a Marvel guy to go out and pick up all kinds of other titles. Maybe Iron Man, but even that's doubtful. With Infinite Crisis all I did was buy the core series, the Secret Files and Origins and the Countdown one-shot and I felt like I was up to speed. That's a total of nine books and I don't think that's too bad. Of course now they've got me hooked on the Batman OYL stuff, so it's likely they'll get some money out of me that way, but that's only two series at a total of $6 a month. I can handle that. Add in the "52" series which I may or may not stick with and that's another $10 or so. Even then, I may just wait on the "52" trade paperback(s) and do it that way.

TRF
05-05-2006, 11:01 AM
scrolled right past your spoiler steel. I'm getting IC7 today.

Again, one thing i think Marvel is REALLY doing right is putting both recent and past issues online. great promotional tool to new and returning fans.

TRF
05-08-2006, 09:35 AM
Ok, I got IC#7, and 1 year later books. This new kinder gentler Batman does not appeal to me. It reminds me of late 80's Batman. I liked both Titans and Outsiders books. Nightwing seems to have taken up the mantle of paranoid bat character. Robin isn't far behind.

I've also got to Road to Civil War books. Now this looks very good. The FF issue with Doom returning was about the funniest thing I have read from Marvel in years. 17 is too many.

See, this is what happens when i read too many comics at once. That was the lates FF posted on Marvels digital comics site.

good stuff.

gonelong
05-08-2006, 11:14 AM
http://www.superherohype.com/news.php?id=3771

SCI FI Channel has recruited legendary superhero comic creator Stan Lee and Bruce Nash to embark on a nationwide search for the first-ever, true-life superhero in Who Wants to be a Superhero?

SCI FI Channel, teamed with Bruce Nash's Nash Entertainment ("Meet My Folks," "For Love or Money," "Who Wants to Marry My Dad?") and legendary comic book creator Stan Lee ("Spider-Man," "Hulk," "The Fantastic Four," "X-Men"), will produce a six-episode, one-hour weekly competition reality series that will challenge a lucky few to create their very own superhero and reward the winner with the best reality competition prize yet: immortality! All you'll need is an original idea, a killer costume and some real superhero mojo. The winner of this six-week competition will walk away with their superhero immortalized in a new comic book created by Stan Lee himself!

In nationwide open casting calls, potential heroes will arrive in costume to prove their mettle, revealing the true nature of their superhuman abilities and invoking the noble credos by which they live. From these thousands of hopefuls, Stan Lee will choose 11 lucky finalists to move into a secret lair and compete for the opportunity to become a real-life Superhero!

Finalists will leave their former lives behind and live as their brainchild heroes 24/7, all under Stan Lee's watchful eye. Each week, our aspiring heroes will be challenged with competitions designed to test their true superhero abilities. It's not all just leaping tall buildings in a single bound, a true Superhero will be tested for courage, integrity, self-sacrifice, compassion and resourcefulness. In the end, only one aspiring Superhero will have the strength and nobility to open the gates to comic book immortality.

from another site ...

...a six-episode, one-hour weekly competition reality series that will challenge a lucky few...with competitions designed to test their true superhero abilities. It's not all just leaping tall buildings in a single bound, a true Superhero will be tested for courage, integrity, self-sacrifice, compassion and resourcefulness...

...The winner of this six-week competition will walk away with their superhero immortalized in a new comic book created by Stan Lee himself!

TRF
05-12-2006, 03:52 PM
My local shop was out of Civil War #1, but I'm picking one up tomorrow i hope. I've read a few of the lead in stories, and my favorite line so far is: "Say Boris and Natasha... You know you want to."

hilarious.

TRF
05-15-2006, 01:34 PM
New films from Marvel

Marvel Studios Engages All-Star Roster For New Film Slate

Jon Favreau To Direct Iron Man

Los Angeles, CA (April 28, 2006) – Aggressively pursuing its strategy to develop and produce a new slate of feature films, Marvel Studios - a subsidiary of Marvel Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE: MVL) - has engaged director/actor/writer Jon Favreau to direct the highly anticipated big screen adaptation of Iron Man. Additionally, the studio has tapped several screenwriters to pen scripts based on some of its marquee Super Hero franchises. The projects to which screenwriters are now attached and have officially begun development include Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Ant Man, Captain America, Nick Fury and Thor. The announcement was made today by Avi Arad, Chairman of Marvel Studios.

* Iron Man (character bio)
For the legendary Super Hero Iron Man, Jon Favreau will direct the film and develop the script with the writing team of Arthur Marcum and Matt Holloway (Convoy). Favreau's directing credits include Elf and Zathura: A Space Adventure.

* Incredible Hulk (character bio)
Zak Penn, who previously collaborated with Marvel on X2, Fantastic Four, and the upcoming X-Men: The Last Stand, will write a new Incredible Hulk film, inspired by the larger-than-life green giant. Under Marvel's arrangement with Universal, Marvel will develop and produce the Incredible Hulk as a major theatrical release, with Universal retaining various distribution rights.

* Ant Man (character bio)
Writer/director Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz) will direct, and co-write with writing partner Joe Cornish, the feature film based on cult-favorite Ant Man. Edgar will also co-produce with his Big Talk Productions partner Nira Park.

* Captain America (character bio)
David Self has been tapped to write Captain America, inspired by Marvel's venerable all-American super soldier. Self's credits include Thirteen Days and Road to Perdition, in addition to numerous rewrites on various studio films. He also worked with Marvel on two other projects: Namor, the Sub-Mariner for Universal, and Deathlok for Paramount.

* Nick Fury (character bio)
Marvel's Super Hero with military roots, the iconic super spy Nick Fury,
will be brought to life by action/adventure screenwriter Andrew Marlowe. Marlowe's
credits include Air Force One, End of Days, and Hollow Man.

* Thor (character bio)
The legendary Norse Thunder deity, Thor, will hammer his way to the big screen with the help of screenwriter Mark Protosevich. Protosevich wrote one of this summer's highly-anticipated films, Poseidon. His credits also include The Cell.

"We are incredibly excited to be able to attract some of Hollywood's top talent to help Marvel launch the first wave of our independently-produced film slate. These screenwriters and directors are at the top of their game, and each brings a unique passion for the individual characters and projects they will be working on. Our goal is to
combine great characters with exciting action, and we've assembled a team who will do just that," said Mr. Arad. "In fact, some of these writers have already helped us create major Hollywood blockbuster franchises like Fantastic Four and X-Men. With our independent slate, we look forward to delivering to movie-goers the same type of high-action, gripping entertainment they have grown accustomed to with the Marvel brand."

With screenwriters and directors on board, Marvel is commencing discussions with other talent and visual effects houses as it gears up for full-scale production on the new slate, with the first release anticipated in 2008. These projects are expected to be financed with Marvel's $525 million revolving film financing facility and distributed under Marvel's overall distribution arrangement with Paramount, except for The Incredible Hulk which will be distributed by Universal.

President/COO Michael Helfant will oversee the company's growth to accommodate this newly expanded production activity. The projects will be shepherded and produced by Kevin Feige, President of Production, and Ari Arad, Executive Vice President of Production.

About Marvel Entertainment, Inc.
With a library of over 5,000 characters, Marvel Entertainment, Inc. is one of the world's most prominent character-based entertainment companies. Marvel's operations are focused on utilizing its character franchises in licensing, entertainment, publishing and toys. Areas of emphasis include feature films, DVD/home video, consumer products, video games, action figures and role-playing toys, television and promotions. Rooted in the creative success of over sixty years of comic book publishing, Marvel's strategy is to leverage its character franchises in a growing array of opportunities around the world.

Except for any historical information that they contain, the statements in this news release regarding Marvel's plans are forward-looking statements that are subject to certain risks and uncertainties, including circumstances that may affect Marvel's ability to commence or complete production of its films, and the risk of poor performance of the films in the marketplace. These and other risks and uncertainties are described in Marvel's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including Marvel's Annual Reports on Form 10-K, Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q and Current Reports on Form 8-K. Marvel assumes no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statements.

Marvel, and all related character names and the distinctive likenesses thereof are trademarks of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used with permission. TM & &#169; 2006 Marvel Characters, Inc. All rights reserved. www.marvel.com. Super Hero(es) is a co-owned registered trademark.

Johnny Footstool
05-15-2006, 03:08 PM
Ant Man?

Seriously?

TRF
05-15-2006, 05:43 PM
Yeah, that surprised me too. Almost as much as that there is likely a Sub Mariner movie coming out soon.

Imperius Rex!

Sabo Fan
05-15-2006, 06:05 PM
What I don't get is why Marvel has spread its movies over so many studios. They likely had a bidding war and made themselves a little money, but by having so many different studios make the films they've made it almost impossible to have any crossover movies. No Avengers, no Wolverine/Spider-Man team up stuff, nothing. All of DC's films are done by Warner Bros. obviously, so at least there's a chance we could see Superman/Batman and the Justice League. Not so really with Marvel.

Raisor
05-16-2006, 08:26 AM
If done right a Captain America film could be HUGE. The first film should take place totally during WWII, and it needs to be Saving Private Ryan/Band of Brothers realistic (or at least PG-13 realistic).

TRF
05-16-2006, 09:58 AM
If done right a Captain America film could be HUGE. The first film should take place totally during WWII, and it needs to be Saving Private Ryan/Band of Brothers realistic (or at least PG-13 realistic).

It should end with him being pulled into a submarine, with 4 Avengers standing around him.

Johnny Footstool
05-16-2006, 12:03 PM
It should end with him being pulled into a submarine, with 4 Avengers standing around him.

You should check out the "Ultimate Avengers" movie on DVD. It's a decent show.

There's an especially cool scene at the end when the Avengers fight the Hulk. I loved it when Giant Man tries to step on the Hulk and Hulk jacks him in the side of the knee.

TRF
05-16-2006, 12:17 PM
You should check out the "Ultimate Avengers" movie on DVD. It's a decent show.

There's an especially cool scene at the end when the Avengers fight the Hulk. I loved it when Giant Man tries to step on the Hulk and Hulk jacks him in the side of the knee.

Saw it, and I was really impressed. The writing was a cross between mainstream Marvel and the Ultimates universe, and I liked the animation a lot.

TRF
06-08-2006, 12:56 PM
Does anyone have a review of Civil War? I haven't been able to read a single issue.

Sabo Fan
06-08-2006, 08:16 PM
Does anyone have a review of Civil War? I haven't been able to read a single issue.

I'm not sure what's out right now, but I know that only the first issue of the main story is out so far. #2 comes out next week I believe. I've heard that the Frontline series is good so I may consider picking that up at some point. Not being a Marvel guy myself I don't plan on getting much deeper into it than those two series.

I have Civil War #1 and I enjoyed it. Well written and the art looked great. The seqence with Captain America and S.H.I.E.L.D was awesome. My favorite Marvel guy is probably Iron Man and this was an issue that set him up for a very important role down the road so I liked that. Since I'm a DC fan much more than Marvel I probably can't appreciate the fact that so many Marvel Characters are involved because I simply don't know who they are. Beyond the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, Iron Man, Captain America and the main X-Men I'm not well versed in the characters. Even with my limited knowledge of those characters I liked the first issue a lot. I don't know that I'll like it as much as Infinite Crisis, but that may be my DC bias showing.

TRF
06-13-2006, 10:30 AM
I came away from IC shaking my head and thinking the only point was it had been 20 years since COIE and DC needed a sequel.

awful. just awful. And I really wanted to like it. The ridiculous continuity changes because Superboy hit a wall, his complete turn to evil, his escape from the speed force that was never explained, even though he was held for years coupled with generally a poorly thought out plot made this almost as bad as House of M.

And I really wanted it to be good.

Sabo Fan
06-13-2006, 06:28 PM
I'm with you on the whole fiasco with Superboy-Prime's punches altering time. That's one of the more ridiculous things they came up with. I liked SBP's turn to evil though. He's made himself into a legitimate threat for the future and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot anyone can do about it. I also liked the dynamic they created between the Big Three. Important to see that they don't always see eye to eye or even get along for that matter. IC gives DC a chance to get away from the rut Superman had been in for a few years as well as move Batman further from the jackass persona they'd created for him. Both are welcome changes I think.

I would imagine that they'll be an explaination of the SBP Speed Force escape at some point, whether it comes in the Flash series or in 52. Too big of a plot hole to not explain.

TRF
06-14-2006, 09:04 AM
Oh, they sold SBP's conversion to evil very well, especially since he doesn't see himself as evil. It was a little quick though. Alex Luthor's was too, though he wasn't emotionally mature anyway. no life experience, just accellerated aging.

But, Bart aged while SBP did not. Pantha's death was also ridiculous. Her head would have exploded, not bounced off like that.

And here is another issue. What happens to Hypertime? is it gone? If there was a record of these events in the future, why didn't the speedsters come back sooner to help out? Isn't Wonder Woman still wanted for murder? I know some of these questions will be resolved, and that is what 52 is for, but COIE wrapped up a lot better. Even though DC largely ignored what they tried to do.

Johnny Footstool
06-14-2006, 11:44 AM
Sounds like DC is basing their plots off of Marvel's Exiles. Bad Hyperion, altered time, different realities, etc.

Outshined_One
06-14-2006, 07:49 PM
Kinda sucks that I knew about the big reveal in Civil War #2 beforehand. That still was an awesome moment, though. :D

cincyinco
06-20-2006, 07:16 PM
I'm with you on the whole fiasco with Superboy-Prime's punches altering time. That's one of the more ridiculous things they came up with. I liked SBP's turn to evil though. He's made himself into a legitimate threat for the future and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot anyone can do about it. I also liked the dynamic they created between the Big Three. Important to see that they don't always see eye to eye or even get along for that matter. IC gives DC a chance to get away from the rut Superman had been in for a few years as well as move Batman further from the jackass persona they'd created for him. Both are welcome changes I think.

I would imagine that they'll be an explaination of the SBP Speed Force escape at some point, whether it comes in the Flash series or in 52. Too big of a plot hole to not explain.

Don't know why, but this post just reminded me of an old book I have in my collection.. A batman vs. Superman issue - circa 1950's.. I'd have to go pull it out for specifics..

Wow.. comics.. I dont know why I got out of them, other than the fact I just didn't have the cash to drop anymore... Anyone have any suggestions on new stuff on what to get into if I want to get back in?

I used to be an image guy, some marvel, some DC.. lot of independent stuff too..

TRF
06-21-2006, 10:24 AM
Don't know why, but this post just reminded me of an old book I have in my collection.. A batman vs. Superman issue - circa 1950's.. I'd have to go pull it out for specifics..

Wow.. comics.. I dont know why I got out of them, other than the fact I just didn't have the cash to drop anymore... Anyone have any suggestions on new stuff on what to get into if I want to get back in?

I used to be an image guy, some marvel, some DC.. lot of independent stuff too..

Steel recommends Y: The Last Man. I'm trying to corner the market on CrossGen trades. I loved the whole concept. And the art was fantastic.

SteelSD
06-21-2006, 11:33 AM

As TRF noted, Y-The Last Man is superb. It's not a superhero book and rumor has it that it'll end with issue #60 (it's on 46 now). But great stuff.

Other titles that rock right now:

Ultimate Fantastic Four
The Walking Dead (Zombies rule!)
Superman/Batman
Planetary
Daredevil
All-Star Superman
Wolverine
Wolverine: Origins
New Avengers
Runaways

You can't afford the back issues of The Walking Dead, but the Trade Paperbacks are super-affordable. Planetary is a heck of a read. Might be the best written book out there...when it comes out...which tends to be about once every three months (sigh). But it's worth picking up the TPB's. Seems to be release issues with All-Star Superman as well, but it's an interesting new take on him. Ultimate FF has vaulted above the rest of the Ultimate line although Ultimates (think Avengers) is great when it hits the shelves (release issues again). And get thee to the comic shop and pick up Wolverine: Origins. Super stuff.

Oh, and if you used to like the Image universe, pick up the back issues or the upcoming TPB of Captain Atom: Armageddon. It's basically a jumping off point for the re-start of the Wildstorm universe (Authority, Wildcats, etc.). Great stuff.

cincyinco
06-21-2006, 11:55 AM
Thanks TRF and Steele... Its been years since I bought a book, and a few more since I went through my collection. Rarely open the things anymore, they're collecting dust and monetary value(hopefully) :P

Who are the hot artists these days?

Is Jeff Scott Campbell still around(Gen 13)? He used to go to my highschool...

Oh, and how much are the back issues of the walking dead?

SteelSD
06-21-2006, 12:09 PM
Thanks TRF and Steele... Its been years since I bought a book, and a few more since I went through my collection. Rarely open the things anymore, they're collecting dust and monetary value(hopefully) :P

Is Jeff Scott Campbell still around(Gen 13)? He used to go to my highschool...

Oh, and how much are the back issues of the walking dead?

Issues #1 and #2 will run about $75.00-$80.00 each. The whole run (1-29) is about $250.00. If you're looking to buy, I will warn you that there are multiple printings of each. The first printing is what you want and if you're looking on eBay, ask specifically whether or not the book is the first printing.

And yeah, Campbell is still around. Michael Turner is back doing his own thing. Jim Lee is still putting pencil to paper. John Cassiday is the bomb. Frank Quitely is the atom bomb. Adam Hughes rocks, but he's all about covers.

But this is an age of writers. Just off the top of my head (and folks will add more):

Garth Ennis
Robert Kirkman
Brian K. Vaughn
Brian Michael Bendis
Joss Whedon (Buffy and Firefly)
Judd Winick (yep, he's that "Real World" guy)
Brian Azzarello
Mark Waid
Mark Millar
Geoff Johns

Outshined_One
06-21-2006, 02:22 PM

Steel listed a few of them, but I honestly think this is one of the best periods for artists comics has seen in quite some time. Off the top of my head, these guys are among the best...

Steve McNiven
Adi Granov
Alex Ross
Pasqual Ferry
Simone Bianchi
Ryan Sook
Frazer Irving
Cameron Stewart
Doug Mahnke
Bryan Hitch
John Romita, Jr.
Tom Raney

One of the better artistic works over the past two years has been Grant Morrison's Seven Soldiers series, which was seven different minis (each four parts) written by Morrison with pencils/inks/art from some of the people listed above. Some of them were quite stunning!

cincyinco
06-21-2006, 04:17 PM
Awesome, thanks guys! Can you fill me in on what JS Campbell is working on? And I would always be sure to ask which printing a book was Steele, but thanks for the tip :) Garth Ennis was great when I used to read, and I love Josh Whedon's firefly. I'll have to make a trip down to the local mile high comic shop this weekend.

ochre
06-21-2006, 05:09 PM
I saw that eternals is supposed to be coming out/out already. Have any of you picked it up yet? Gaiman's been pretty good in the past and I'm thinking about getting that series.

TRF
06-21-2006, 05:45 PM
I have to promote Marvel's digital comics. An outstanding promotional tool to attract both new and returning readers. They put an entire comic online. No PDF's all Flash. Loads pretty fast if you have a broadband connection, and best of all, it's free.

Years ago when they first started this they had Origin completely online. I had read it with their clunky proprietary reader, and that was enough to get me to start buying comics again. Once a gain the House of Ideas trumps DC.

TRF
06-21-2006, 05:45 PM
I saw that eternals is supposed to be coming out/out already. Have any of you picked it up yet? Gaiman's been pretty good in the past and I'm thinking about getting that series.

There is an Eternals sketchbook online at marvel.com

Outshined_One
06-21-2006, 07:10 PM

It was nifty, although felt more like a setup issue than anything else. The art was good and the story was interesting, so I'll definitely be returning for the next issue.

TRF
11-08-2006, 12:55 PM
Bringing this back because of the Heroes thread.

I need something like $300 to get all the Civil War tie-ins. This has been a fantastic series that has trumped Infinite Crisis in every way imaginable. Once IC ended, what really changed? Some new heroes, a few new villains and the same old same old.

CW will change the Marvel Universe forever, unless they pull out a crappy "no more mutants" ending. House of M should have been so much better than it was. And some of it was really good. The Hulk was great in House of M.

Has anyone read Annihilation? I hear it's really good.

GIK
11-08-2006, 01:15 PM
I'm reading a few books, but the one I'm enjoying most is the new 'Justice League of America'. It's currently on book #3. After IC, Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman have been forming the new group. Good stuff, IMO.

SteelSD
11-08-2006, 03:53 PM
I'm reading a few books, but the one I'm enjoying most is the new 'Justice League of America'. It's currently on book #3. After IC, Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman have been forming the new group. Good stuff, IMO.

Yeah, Justice League of America is looking good and it appears that Starro is back in some form.

The mini-series, 'Justice' is also very good. 'Secret Six' is a fun book and, as TRF mentioned, 'Civil War' is a knockout hit. The wife loves 'Mouse Guard' as well. Sword-weilding mice with little capes.

And is anyone else reading Daredevil? Maybe it's just me, but I'm getting snooze-like tired of how slow that book moves. Used to be very interesting but now it's like "eh" when I pull it from my weekly pile of books to read.

TRF
11-09-2006, 09:20 AM
curse me for having expensive teenagers!

Haven't purchased in quite a while. So most of what i am seeing is at the newsstand or online synopsis.

Marvel has added a messageboard, which is actually pretty good. Better than DC's. Their online comics just got an upgrade, and IMO is a GREAT marketing technique. Free comics from ALL eras. appeals to everyone that ever read comics, and introduces the next generation of readers that already uses computers to what we have seen. Marvel has really taken this to the next level with a Flash interface. CrossGen did this a few years ago as PDF files, but they charged a monthly subscription, a whole dollar. too rich for my blood.

I plan to hit the comic book shop at the end of the month a blow about $50-$60 bucks. well, that's the plan anyway.

expensive teenagers. I have to make 2 trips to Lubbock, today to see my son play his final football game of the season, he's a freshman, and tomorrow to see my daughter cheer (possibly) her last game. She's a senior. If they lose, then it's the last game. If they win it's playoffs, and we see about making a trip to Dallas in a week.

My kid cheering in Texas Stadium. How freaking cool is that?

RFS62
11-09-2006, 03:06 PM
If they win it's playoffs, and we see about making a trip to Dallas in a week.

My kid cheering in Texas Stadium. How freaking cool is that?

Hopefully the whole family can make it.

:beerme:

http://www.geocities.com/arlen_texas/koh2005_v6f_432.jpg

Aceking
11-09-2006, 03:15 PM
I'm finally reading The Watchmen for the first time. Almost finished.

It's completely engrossing and I can't put it down. Anyone want to discuss?

LoganBuck
11-09-2006, 10:06 PM
Did anyone else catch the Spiderman 3 Trailer? It was just on TV during South Park they claimed it was the world premiere. I thought it looked ok, but the Venom suit didn't look very good, imo. It looked a little to much like CGI.

SteelSD
11-10-2006, 12:36 AM
I'm finally reading The Watchmen for the first time. Almost finished.

It's completely engrossing and I can't put it down. Anyone want to discuss?

Watchmen is the birth of what I consider to be the "Creator's Age" of comics. Alan Moore crafted a doozy of a story and the art was a secondary element. It's the only graphic novel to win a Hugo Award and it made Time Magazine's 2005 list of the 100 best English-language novels since 1923. It was the only graphic novel on the list. I consider the collected version the second-best graphic novel of all time behind Art Spiegelman's 'Maus: A Survivor's Tale' (which won a well-deserved Pulitzer).

Alan Moore (who also crafted 'V for Vendetta') is probably the most influential comic book writer of the modern age. IMHO, Image wouldn't have been possible without Moore's inspiration as he showcased what could happen when an excellent writer produced a universe with substance. Moore also created 'The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' and 'Top 10' (one of the most underrated series of all time). Moore's 'Miracleman' issues are highly sought after and issues #14 and #15 can run up to $100.00 each (or more, depending on condition).

It's not very often that a comic book writer will end up with three major motion pictures based on his works. In fact, I don't think it's ever happened with the exception of Stan Lee. But Moore, with 'From Hell', 'The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen', and 'V for Vendetta' holds that distinction.

TRF
11-10-2006, 09:36 AM
Hopefully the whole family can make it.

:beerme:

http://www.geocities.com/arlen_texas/koh2005_v6f_432.jpg

I'm actually the dog in that picture.

Sabo Fan
02-27-2007, 02:22 PM
Bringing this one back because there seems to be some pretty interesting stuff happening in the comic world.

Civil War just finished up (sort of) and though I really enjoyed it even though I'm not a Marvel guy, it left me feeling like this series wasn't as good as it could have been. The first three issues were really good, and I would have agreed to that point that it was better than Infinite Crisis. Then came issues four and five, which were sort of ho-hum. #6 was good and I was encouraged that the final chapter would cement Civil War as great event. However, after reading #7, which I thought was the worst issue of the whole bunch, I think I liked IC better and that Civil War didn't reach its full potential.

The ending for me is what did it. I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it yet, but to me the final battle seemed anticlimatic and the way in which it ultimately ended was terrible. It may be that the aftermath of Civil War ends up being much better than the actual event. Let's just say that Civil War didn't get me to the point where I'm now interested enough in any Marvel character to pick up a regular series or two. Infinite Crisis on the other hand, did.

DC has some pretty good stuff going on right now. JLA isn't out in Feb. but it'll be back next month and then starts a crossover with the new JSA. Justice Society is a series I hadn't planned on picking up, but the first three issues have been great and I'd recommend them to anyone. To me, it's right there with the new JLA as far as being DC's best book.

52 is winding down and I'm really glad I've stuck with it to this point. I'm not completely enthused with some of the stuff, but the Black Adam and Booster Gold storylines are worth it. Looking forward to the WWIII stuff and the start of the weekly Countdown series by Paul Dini. His stuff on Detective has been really good so I have high hopes for Countdown.

Some other stuff I'm reading:

The Brave and the Bold just kicked off this week and the first issue was pretty good. Looking forward to following this series now. Might have a spot on my permanent read list.

Detective Comics had been good ever since IC ended with Robinson and now Dini. Can't say the same for Batman because of the arc with Ostrander and Mandrake. What a waste of four issues. Morrison is back now so it'll get better.

Started getting Action Comics when Johns and Richard Donner started their run. Good start but the two month layoff may have hurt the momentum a bit. Got the annual and it had some good stuff. Worth a look if you're a Superman fan.

TRF
02-28-2007, 03:17 PM
The single most surprising thing in comics history was Spidey unmasking.

It was bigger than Superman's "Death".

It was bigger than the entirety of the Civil War.

It was bigger than Infinite Crisis.

You can't stuff the genie back in the bottle. Peter is a fugitive, and everyone knows he is Spiderman.

I am sooo looking forward to World War Hulk.

Dom Heffner
02-28-2007, 03:33 PM
Somewhere, an alarm is going off:

Nerd alert....nerd alert....nerd alert....

:)

Raisor
12-09-2007, 09:43 PM
Bumping this up...

The Buffy "Season 8" series has been great. I'm getting it for a friend (and huge Buffy fan/but non-comic fan) for Christmas. Angel season 6 #1 just came out, but I haven't seen it yet.

Other comic stuff...

Not sure how we didn't bump this up with the death of Captain America. Book still rocks, which considering Cap isn't even in it anymore, is pretty awesome.

Bru/Lark's DAREDEVIL continues to bring the awesome as well.

Over in DC, about the only thing that is great is the Sinestro War storyline in the Lantern books. Nearly everything else is blah, though Waid back on Flash (and the return of WALLY~!) is getting better.

Degenerate39
12-09-2007, 10:50 PM
Bumping this up...

The Buffy "Season 8" series has been great. I'm getting it for a friend (and huge Buffy fan/but non-comic fan) for Christmas. Angel season 6 #1 just came out, but I haven't seen it yet.

Other comic stuff...

Not sure how we didn't bump this up with the death of Captain America. Book still rocks, which considering Cap isn't even in it anymore, is pretty awesome.

Bru/Lark's DAREDEVIL continues to bring the awesome as well.

Over in DC, about the only thing that is great is the Sinestro War storyline in the Lantern books. Nearly everything else is blah, though Waid back on Flash (and the return of WALLY~!) is getting better.

I read some where that someone was going to take Steve Rogers place as Capt. America. Did anyone ever take over? I haven't picked up a comic in probably 6 years.

Raisor
12-10-2007, 08:15 AM
I read some where that someone was going to take Steve Rogers place as Capt. America. Did anyone ever take over? I haven't picked up a comic in probably 6 years.

The "new" Cap will debut in a couple of months. They haven't announced yet if it's a all new character or a repackaged one yet (like Bucky)

The rumor buzz is that it'll be Bucky, but I don't see Bru going that route, just because it's the most obvious choice.

Personally, I don't think Steve Rogers is actually dead. I think Nick Fury is up to some shenanigans.

SunDeck
12-10-2007, 09:33 AM
Hey Comic book aficionados. A neighbor gave us a big box of comic books from the 50's, about 200, altogether. I urged them to see what they might be worth before just giving them away. They said they wouldn't be worth anything and wanted to give them to us for our kids.

I have done some research on pricing and condition and have found that about 50 of these are in the $20 price range (using Overstreet's Comic Book Price Guide), a handful that are in the $30 price range and one or two that may be worth $100. Most of them are worth a few dollars.

Does anyone here have any experience with selling or buying vintage comics? I am trying to decide if the prices I am seeing really are accurate. In my experience with helping people price old books, there is a difference between what a guide will say and what the market will actually reveal. For instance, while we have been researching these comic books we haven't seen anything on Ebay that comes close to the values we have seen in Overstreet. Initially, I thought it was because my estimation of the condition was too optimistic, but after more research I am pretty sure about what we have here, in terms of the condition of the covers and pages. Some of these look like they were read maybe once and then stored.

If anyone wants to give me some advice, I'd be thrilled to hear from you. I'm really trying to decide if it is going to be worth it to pursue bagging, boarding and selling some of them.

Gainesville Red
12-10-2007, 11:05 AM
check out ebay and see what they're selling for. That's probably a more realistic gauge of their "worth."

I think I've heard that if you take them to a comic book store to sell they'll give you a handful of peanuts and send you on your way.

Raisor
12-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Find out if there is a comic convention scheduled for your area anytime soon. You can usually find someone to make a deal with.

SteelSD
12-10-2007, 12:59 PM
Hey Comic book aficionados. A neighbor gave us a big box of comic books from the 50's, about 200, altogether. I urged them to see what they might be worth before just giving them away. They said they wouldn't be worth anything and wanted to give them to us for our kids.

I have done some research on pricing and condition and have found that about 50 of these are in the $20 price range (using Overstreet's Comic Book Price Guide), a handful that are in the $30 price range and one or two that may be worth $100. Most of them are worth a few dollars.

Does anyone here have any experience with selling or buying vintage comics? I am trying to decide if the prices I am seeing really are accurate. In my experience with helping people price old books, there is a difference between what a guide will say and what the market will actually reveal. For instance, while we have been researching these comic books we haven't seen anything on Ebay that comes close to the values we have seen in Overstreet. Initially, I thought it was because my estimation of the condition was too optimistic, but after more research I am pretty sure about what we have here, in terms of the condition of the covers and pages. Some of these look like they were read maybe once and then stored.

If anyone wants to give me some advice, I'd be thrilled to hear from you. I'm really trying to decide if it is going to be worth it to pursue bagging, boarding and selling some of them.

I used to be an eBay powerseller and have sold a ton of books there- Golden Age to Current. The first thing I'll tell you is that Overstreet is a horrible guide and doesn't at all reflect the actual market (especially for Dell books- Golden Age or no). Key issues from major titles will still bring a premium on eBay (especially in high conditions from a trusted seller or professionally graded), but Overstreet is wildly high on pretty much everything else.

If you could tell me what some of the titles (including issue number and company) are I'll be happy to give you some advice.

SteelSD
12-10-2007, 01:05 PM
The "new" Cap will debut in a couple of months. They haven't announced yet if it's a all new character or a repackaged one yet (like Bucky)

The rumor buzz is that it'll be Bucky, but I don't see Bru going that route, just because it's the most obvious choice.

Personally, I don't think Steve Rogers is actually dead. I think Nick Fury is up to some shenanigans.

I'm still grumpy that I can't use the phrase "Bucky Dead" anymore.

Even Captain Marvel isn't "Bucky Dead" anymore. He was just regular dead. Sigh.

Speaking of Captain Marvel, check out DC's "Death of the New Gods". Jim Starlin words and pictures!

Raisor
12-10-2007, 02:12 PM
I'm still grumpy that I can't use the phrase "Bucky Dead" anymore.

Even Captain Marvel isn't "Bucky Dead" anymore. He was just regular dead. Sigh.

Speaking of Captain Marvel, check out DC's "Death of the New Gods". Jim Starlin words and pictures!

I'm trade waiting DotNG. Love Starlin, but he better not kill off Scott Free.

SteelSD
12-10-2007, 03:21 PM
I'm trade waiting DotNG. Love Starlin, but he better not kill off Scott Free.

Trade-waiting is cheatin' I say!;)

And rumor has it that Starlin has already indicated that Free won't survive the saga. Take that for what it's worth, I guess.

But even if he dies, Mister Miracle is the least likely "Bucky Dead" candidate I can think of. Or is that most likely? I dunno'. Since "Bucky Dead" stopped being "Bucky Dead", I'm all confused.

Raisor
12-10-2007, 03:29 PM
Trade-waiting is cheatin' I say!;)

And rumor has it that Starlin has already indicated that Free won't survive the saga. Take that for what it's worth, I guess.

But even if he dies, Mister Miracle is the least likely "Bucky Dead" candidate I can think of. Or is that most likely? I dunno'. Since "Bucky Dead" stopped being "Bucky Dead", I'm all confused.

It's never been Bucky Dead. Bucky Dead was a ret-con to the Avengers #4 anywho. I think Uncle Ben Dead is the winner.

SteelSD
12-10-2007, 03:52 PM
It's never been Bucky Dead. Bucky Dead was a ret-con to the Avengers #4 anywho. I think Uncle Ben Dead is the winner.

Ah. "Uncle Ben Dead" is my new replacement. Thanks so much.

Your reward:

http://mightygodking.com/index.php/2007/11/12/its-all-been-done-before-but-so-what/

Click on each panel and a page of DotNG #1 will open. The writer has taken liberties with the verbiage on each page. Apparently, he (and throngs of others) is not a fan of Jim Starlin's writing.

A smattering of swear words, but pretty darned funny.

SunDeck
12-10-2007, 03:55 PM
I used to be an eBay powerseller and have sold a ton of books there- Golden Age to Current. The first thing I'll tell you is that Overstreet is a horrible guide and doesn't at all reflect the actual market (especially for Dell books- Golden Age or no). Key issues from major titles will still bring a premium on eBay (especially in high conditions from a trusted seller or professionally graded), but Overstreet is wildly high on pretty much everything else.

If you could tell me what some of the titles (including issue number and company) are I'll be happy to give you some advice.

I'll do that- Thanks!
And a bunch of them are Dells, like this one- that's Mickey Dolenz.

http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/tv/children/circusboy/cb1.jpg

HumnHilghtFreel
12-10-2007, 04:15 PM
I'm glad someone bumped this up. I've been playing some of the Marvel games on the 360 lately and it has really made me want to get into some of the stuff a little more. I used to collect comics when I was younger, but I stopped after a while.

I was looking at some of the graphic novels, but I'm not sure if I need to start at a certain spot or if each one plays out individually. I was looking at the Civil War series mainly.

Raisor
12-10-2007, 04:38 PM
I'm glad someone bumped this up. I've been playing some of the Marvel games on the 360 lately and it has really made me want to get into some of the stuff a little more. I used to collect comics when I was younger, but I stopped after a while.

I was looking at some of the graphic novels, but I'm not sure if I need to start at a certain spot or if each one plays out individually. I was looking at the Civil War series mainly.

Not sure I'd start with Civil War, it's pretty continuity heavy, I'd probably start off with Captain America's current series. It's all available in trades, and is primo good. It's pretty continuity heavy too, but you shouldn't have any problem catching up. If you can find the Mark Waid/Ringo Fantastic Four trades from a few years ago, I'd highly recommend them. Best FF stories since forever.

Bendis' New Avengers are all in trades, and are fun.

SteelSD
12-10-2007, 04:55 PM
I'll do that- Thanks!
And a bunch of them are Dells, like this one- that's Mickey Dolenz.

http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/tv/children/circusboy/cb1.jpg

No problem. Happy to help.

And I was hoping that a lot weren't Dells. The Dell books that best hold value versus Overstreet (not an all-inclusive list):

Lone Ranger (early issues and photo covers)
Uncle Scrooge (particularly higher grade early issues and early Dell Four color appearances of any quality w/Barks art)
Donald Duck (Barks art)
Dell Four Color 1st appearances
Dell Giants & Specials (Thick "activity" comics- most valuable if in higher grades with no markings)
Tarzan (early issues and photo covers)
I Love Lucy
Zorro
Western Roundup

Assorted other Western and TV-based titles do ok as well. Unfortunately, "ok" for a non-key Dell book is "more pennies on the dollar" rather than less. Even at brick-and-mortar comic shops, I routinely run into Dell books discounted to 75-80% off just sitting there. Online, I've found that Uncle Scrooge books drawn by Carl Barks to have the most drawing power. In fact, anything Carl Barks will sell so put a premium on those.

You may have already figured this out as you've researched, but it's important to note that Dell's "Four Color" series contains many of the first handful of issues for most of those books. Kind of a "test run" for marketing to determine which books should get their own title. For example, what we consider to be Uncle Scrooge #1 is actually Dell Four Color #386.

In the case of the book you posted (Dell Four Color #785), that would be considered Circus Boy #2 had the book survived to produce it's own line. BTW, if that's a scan of your copy, it looks fantastic. I'd have to see a bigger scan including more of the spine, but at first glance you appear to have at least a VF copy that might range into NM depending on cover gloss, surface, and the interior.

I'd definitely handle those with care and if they're in pristine condition, a trip to CGC for professional grading might not be out of the question for some of the best books you have. Not trying to get your hopes up as I haven't seen the collection, but even Dell books can bring premiums OVER guide price should you find a CGC 9.6 or 9.8 copy (which for most Dells is nearly impossible).

In any case, looking forward to seeing more of your books. Nice find.

SteelSD
12-10-2007, 04:58 PM

New Avengers. I agree with Raisor on that one. Pretty much everything going on now stems from the re-start of the Avengers. Great combination of writing and artwork.

HumnHilghtFreel
12-10-2007, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the the recommendations. I found some copies of the volumes on amazon, so I'll make these Christmas presents for myself :)

SteelSD
12-23-2007, 11:21 AM
Had to bump this one up to share this year's X-Mas present from the wife (she's uber-cool):

http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/avengers/1-1.jpg

That's just a reference pic (my scanner isn't speaking to my computer right now), but it's very close to what my copy looks like. Mine has a bit more spine wear, some surface wear (no major color-breaking creases), no spine roll (lays perfectly flat), no "Marvel chipping", staples are tight, good amount of gloss left, etc. It's a solid VG to VG+ copy with some attributes in the Fine range.

Now, "X-Mas present from the wife" translates to "something I was allowed to purchase". But hey, when there's sticker shock involved for her, I consider it a gift. As for Silver Age Marvel "keys", Avengers #1 is on a lower level than the big boys (FF #1, Amazing Fantasy #15, Spider-Man #1, X-Men #1). But it's a book I've wanted since I was a little kid. The best part is that it was under-graded by at least a full grade; meaning that I got the book at about half price.

I found the book at my favorite small town used book store. They pulled it out of one of about 50 long boxes they were storing in the shop's basement. It had been hidden away for years. I've never had illusions of purchasing a Near-Mint copy for over six grand, so a strong VG to VG+ copy for $283 made me giddy. The funny thing is that the cashier got dyslexic and charged me only $238 for it. I noticed that later on the receipt and, being that I have a very good relationship with the store owner, I stopped back in the next day and offered him the difference. He accepted and gave me a NM copy of Next Men #21 (first Hellboy appearance) as a reward. Double-score!!

BUTLER REDSFAN
12-23-2007, 11:27 AM
2008-There will be a Hulk movie,Iron Man movie, and a new Batman movie

Raisor
12-23-2007, 02:22 PM
2008-There will be a Hulk movie,Iron Man movie, and a new Batman movie

Heck with those, there's also going to be an animated version of New Frontier!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnkKnvomyjU

SteelSD
12-23-2007, 02:26 PM
Don't forget Hellboy 2! The teaser trailer looks absolutely fantastic.

Mario-Rijo
12-28-2007, 06:03 PM
I guess I gotta visit non-baseball chatter more. I have been on here going on 3 yrs and never realized there were UFC and Comic book threads. Of course I haven't read any comic books for years, although I have been tempted to pick up a copy here and there. But I do watch every comic book related movie that comes out to this day. Loved the newest punisher with Tom Jane that was definitely one of the best adaptations I have ever seen.

I used to collect them when I was a kid, inspired by a guy named Hank when I was around 9-10. He was a neighbor who lived alone but had boxes upon boxes of comics, I mean this guy's whole house was absolutely full of them. He gave me one of if not my 1st comic an Avengers I believe.

But hero's/team's I have liked at one point or another are as follows.

X-Men
Avengers
Flash
Green Lantern
JLA

Most anything Marvel

But one of my faves that no one seems to ever talk much about is Power Man and Iron Fist mainly because of Iron Fist, not many around like him. I have been trying for quite some time to make my avatar on here a pic I have of them but cannot seem to do it right for whatever reason.

Raisor
12-28-2007, 06:22 PM
But one of my faves that no one seems to ever talk much about is Power Man and Iron Fist mainly because of Iron Fist, not many around like him. I have been trying for quite some time to make my avatar on here a pic I have of them but cannot seem to do it right for whatever reason.

Iron Fist's current series puts the "awe" in AWESOME.

One of the three or four best superhero comics on the market.

It's a solo book, BUT Cage, Colleen Wing and Misty Knight are in almost every issue.

SWEET CHRISTMAS!

http://www.bamkapow.com/ul/519-IRONFIST_001.jpg

Mario-Rijo
12-28-2007, 06:27 PM
Iron Fist's current series puts the "awe" in AWESOME.

One of the three or four best superhero comics on the market.

It's a solo book, BUT Cage, Colleen Wing and Misty Knight are in almost every issue.

SWEET CHRISTMAS!

http://www.bamkapow.com/ul/519-IRONFIST_001.jpg

Ooooh, I had no idea!! How far along is the series, did it just recently come out? And where can I get my hands on them from start to present?

Raisor
12-28-2007, 06:31 PM
Ooooh, I had no idea!! How far along is the series, did it just recently come out? And where can I get my hands on them from start to present?

Issue 11 just came out. The first trade is out both as a hardcover or a trade paperback.

In 2006, Marvel launched a new ongoing series, The Immortal Iron Fist, co-written by Ed Brubaker and Matt Fraction and featuring art by Spanish illustrator David Aja. "The Immortal Iron Fist" began with a six-part drama, counter-intuitively titled "The Last Iron Fist Story".

You should be able to find it on Amazon.

Edit to add: The only other work I've seen from Aja was a fill in issue of Bru's Daredevil, which was strong. The stuff he does for FIST is AMAZING. He seems to have been born to draw Danny Rand fighting a bajillion Hydra soliders.

Johnny Footstool
12-28-2007, 09:23 PM
40 Years of X-Men on DVD-ROM.

That will keep me busy for a while.

Mario-Rijo
12-28-2007, 10:31 PM
Issue 11 just came out. The first trade is out both as a hardcover or a trade paperback.

In 2006, Marvel launched a new ongoing series, The Immortal Iron Fist, co-written by Ed Brubaker and Matt Fraction and featuring art by Spanish illustrator David Aja. "The Immortal Iron Fist" began with a six-part drama, counter-intuitively titled "The Last Iron Fist Story".

You should be able to find it on Amazon.

Edit to add: The only other work I've seen from Aja was a fill in issue of Bru's Daredevil, which was strong. The stuff he does for FIST is AMAZING. He seems to have been born to draw Danny Rand fighting a bajillion Hydra soliders.

Very cool, thanks Raisor. I will definitely be shopping very soon for it.

Mario-Rijo
12-28-2007, 10:37 PM
40 Years of X-Men on DVD-ROM.

That will keep me busy for a while.

I would say so, I could watch X-Men stuff forever as well. My personal favorites beyond Wolverine are Colossus and Gambit. What was Colossus' real name Petr ???, Czech perhaps. ;)

The X-Men usually have had some of the cooler nemesis' as well. Sabertooth would be a favorite, the one in the movie did the character no justice. They should have found a much bigger and ripped person to play him.

TRF
03-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Anyone just repulsed by Brand New Day? Spidey was really getting interesting, now all of a sudden we are back to web shooters and awkward peter parker again. blech.

Raisor
03-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Anyone just repulsed by Brand New Day? Spidey was really getting interesting, now all of a sudden we are back to web shooters and awkward peter parker again. blech.

I think BND has been ok, and I love me some Dan Slott, but it does seem that we've gone back 25 years.

I would have liked to have seen the current writing staff without all the One More Day baggage.

HumnHilghtFreel
05-15-2008, 12:11 PM
I just bought myself a Marvel Digital Comics subscription. I now have access to tons of old and new comics. It seems like a promising new way to waste my time :)

Any suggestions for storylines or characters to get into?

Degenerate39
05-15-2008, 12:20 PM
I just bought myself a Marvel Digital Comics subscription. I now have access to tons of old and new comics. It seems like a promising new way to waste my time :)

Any suggestions for storylines or characters to get into?

I've always been into Captain America myself so I have to suggest him.

HumnHilghtFreel
05-15-2008, 01:18 PM
I've always been into Captain America myself so I have to suggest him.

Well, I'm currently reading Captain America Comics #1, the intro of Cap from 1941. It's pretty funny to read. From the fact that it's a bit of a propaganda piece to the way it's worded. Interesting to see how far these comics have come.

Raisor
05-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Well, I'm currently reading Captain America Comics #1, the intro of Cap from 1941. It's pretty funny to read. From the fact that it's a bit of a propaganda piece to the way it's worded. Interesting to see how far these comics have come.

The current run of Captain America is amazingly awesome. Especially since Cap himself has been dead for over a year now.

Degenerate39
05-15-2008, 04:12 PM
The current run of Captain America is amazingly awesome. Especially since Cap himself has been dead for over a year now.

Who took over for Steve Rogers? Bucky?

Raisor
05-15-2008, 04:13 PM
Who took over for Steve Rogers? Bucky?

Yeah

TRF
05-16-2008, 01:03 PM
thus rendering "only Bucky stays dead" moot.

For me, I am loving all things Green Lantern now. I'm drooling over the buildup to Blackest Night. I can't wait to see who will be the Blue Lantern.

Raisor
05-17-2008, 04:49 PM
thus rendering "only Bucky stays dead" moot.

Bucky dying in the first place was a retcon by Stan Lee in the 60s.

Bru's retcon is only a retcon of the original retcon.

TRF
05-19-2008, 03:54 PM
Bucky dying in the first place was a retcon by Stan Lee in the 60s.

Bru's retcon is only a retcon of the original retcon.

Was there post WWII stories with Bucky? I wasn't aware. If not, it isn't really a retcon.

SteelSD
05-20-2008, 07:43 PM
Just wanted to stop in to suggest a couple hidden comic gems. Both involve contributions from an industry powerhouse (Alex Ross, J. Michael Straczynski). Neither involve any characters present in current company "universes":

"Project Superpowers" (Dynamite Entertainment) is a creation of Alex Ross' brain. It involves a group of superheroes who fought in WWII and who eventually had an ally named "The Fighting Yank" turn on them; imprisoning them in a magical urn for decades until they're finally released. Interestingly enough, at least one of the characters ('Devil) is the original Golden Age Daredevil. And a character named "Hydro" was initially designed by Bill Everett, who created the Sub-Mariner. "Mr. Face" appeared as "The Face" six times in "Big Shot Comics" in the 1940's. So there are some real ties to comic book history. So far, it's a really interesting read and the art is very very solid.

Also based around a group of 1940's WWII superheroes is Marvel's "The Twelve". Unknown to anyone at the time, the Nazi's caught and placed twelve Allied Forces' superheroes into suspended animation. This group draws from actual comic history (Timely Comics- an ancestor of Marvel's) as well with 1940's characters such as "Dynamic Man", "Laughing Mask", "Black Widow", "The Blue Blade", "Fiery Mask", and "Captain Wonder" all appeared for a short time in Timely books during that period. Now each has to adjust to being in a brave new world. Another interesting read from a period long forgotten.

Raisor
05-22-2008, 09:57 PM
Was there post WWII stories with Bucky? I wasn't aware. If not, it isn't really a retcon.

Yes, there were post WWII stories with both Steve Rogers and Buckey. Those were later retconed into being different people taking on the ID's.

TRF
05-22-2008, 10:38 PM
I remember that now. Didn't that Bucky become Nomad?

Raisor
05-23-2008, 09:18 AM
I remember that now. Didn't that Bucky become Nomad?

That was the Buckey of the 1950's.

Puffy
03-15-2010, 11:49 AM
OK - I'm bringing this back for the 10's! 2010's that is. Whats funny is when this thread started Steel was saying how DC was so much better than Marvel and me always being a Superman/Batman guy I agreed. But right now Marvel is just heads and shoulders above. The Captain America stuff, Thor has been great with Asgard in Oklahoma and Doctor Doom involved (not to mention Loki was a hot chick for awhile), Iron Man: World's Most Wanted, the New Avengers, the Dark Avengers (Norman Osborn the head of SHIELD/HAMMER, all top notch stuff.

The Justice League is always good - but I still like the Justice League Unlimited TV show the best. Booster Gold with a whole episode - brilliant.

Anyway, just wanted to bring this back up. Some good stuff in here

TRF
03-15-2010, 12:19 PM
DC's Cry for Justic was/is awful. Blackest Night has been fantastic though.

I was really down on Marvel for Civil War, but Seige has been very good. They still do cosmic better than DC. Both Annihilation (1st and second version) plus the War/Realm of Kings stuff is good.

But I have just devoured all things Blackest Night right now. Can't wait to see how it ends.

frenetic wave
03-15-2010, 03:42 PM
A friend of mine is competing in DC/Zuda Comics online comic competition. His submission even has to do with baseball. If you guys get a sec, check it out and if you like it, vote! :-)

http://www.zudacomics.com/node/1787

TRF
03-15-2010, 04:04 PM
A friend of mine is competing in DC/Zuda Comics online comic competition. His submission even has to do with baseball. If you guys get a sec, check it out and if you like it, vote! :-)

http://www.zudacomics.com/node/1787

that art is amazing.

Degenerate39
03-17-2010, 06:42 AM
Has Bruce Wayne came back yet? I remember something about Doomsday kind of killing him. But really just getting sent to another universe or something of that nature

TRF
03-17-2010, 09:08 AM
Has Bruce Wayne came back yet? I remember something about Doomsday kind of killing him. But really just getting sent to another universe or something of that nature

Darkseid.

I think he was sent into the past.

Raisor
03-17-2010, 01:43 PM
There's a miniseries called The Return of Bruce Wayne coming up in the summer.

TRF
03-17-2010, 01:58 PM
I'm "reading" the project superpowers steel recommended. by reading i mean downloading, too poor to buy comics anymore.

The art is fantastic and the story really is very good.

Puffy
03-17-2010, 03:27 PM
I'm "reading" the project superpowers steel recommended. by reading i mean downloading, too poor to buy comics anymore.

The art is fantastic and the story really is very good.

Ha - you don't need to buy comics anymore. You go to Borders or Barnes and Noble and you grab a cup of coffee or a bottled water and read away!!

TRF
03-17-2010, 03:37 PM
Ha - you don't need to buy comics anymore. You go to Borders or Barnes and Noble and you grab a cup of coffee or a bottled water and read away!!

My Barnes and Noble only carries trades, and never carries anything but the big two.

So i have discovered an alternative :)

Raisor
03-17-2010, 08:26 PM
I give you my current wallpaper.

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!

http://comicsmedia.ign.com/comics/image/article/107/1072684/siege-20100226011745782.jpg

GAC
03-18-2010, 04:47 AM
Bet the wife loves that......

Oh, you mean on your computer? :mooner:

Puffy
06-09-2010, 12:02 PM
By the way, just got into Deadpool. He is quickly becoming my favorite out there. And Deadpool and Spidey working side by side, fan-freakin-tastic!

Deadpool/Cable is teh awesome.

Some others - the Dark Reign books have been very good and I am just starting the new Flash:Rebirth.

TRF
06-10-2010, 03:31 PM
If you want to check out a fascinating series, BOOM! comics Irredeemable and Incorruptible have both been fantastic.

Johnny Footstool
06-13-2010, 10:12 PM
"The Walking Dead" - very dark, very gory zombie apocalypse comic. Soon to be a TV series on A & E.

TRF
06-14-2010, 09:38 AM
Blu Beetly with Jaime Reyes (not Ted Kord) as a live action series. In development right now!

Mario-Rijo
01-14-2011, 02:19 PM
I thought this was the best place for this. Apparently there is a recent surge in real life (not so super) Super Heroes. I'm guessing this has something to do with that movie Nick Cage was in with McLovin form Superbad.

There are more but this is the guy who has gone all out.

Phoenix Jones crime fighter of Seattle with the "Rain City Super Hero Crew":

http://news.sky.com/sky-news/content/StaticFile/jpg/2011/Jan/Week2/15893004.jpg

"I don't condone people walking around on the street with masks. Everyone on my team either has a military background or a mixed martial arts background, and we're well aware of what it costs to do what we do."

Video from CNN
http://cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2011/01/04/seattle.phoenix.superhero.KIRO

Story
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/09/seattle-superhero-phoenix_n_805004.html

Mario-Rijo
01-15-2011, 11:00 AM
I meant to add that is one sweet costume he has going there. Seems a bit familiar in a way but I cannot put my finger on it.

TRF
01-15-2011, 10:54 PM
I meant to add that is one sweet costume he has going there. Seems a bit familiar in a way but I cannot put my finger on it.

Make the yellow blue and it'a almost Nightwing.

Mario-Rijo
01-16-2011, 09:28 AM
Make the yellow blue and it'a almost Nightwing.

Yeah I can see that in the scheme a bit. But guess I was thinking Spawn a little bit, something about the mask and the way it just kind of rides almost seamlessly into the rest of the uni (or is supposed to in Phoenix's case).

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/s/spawn2.jpg

Degenerate39
06-20-2011, 10:28 AM
I decided to pick up some comics for the first time in probably 9 years. Went with some Captain America. and The Mighty Thor. I'm not sure how I like Bucky being Cap

Degenerate39
06-13-2012, 01:58 PM
I recently submitted a few ideas into a new comic company called Storyboom. They're pretty interactive and allow fans to choose which stories and series will be created and published. I need 500 votes to get it published so if anyone can take a few seconds out of their day and check it out I'd greatly appreciate it.

The first one is called The Hammer which is about a drug addict who discovers he has super powers. He has to battle addiction along with crime.

http://thestoryboom.com/story/18-The-Hammer

The second is a horror series called Blood Hunter which is about a man who lost his wife to a vampire attack. He's out for revenge on them now.

http://thestoryboom.com/story/22-Blood-Hunter

You just go to the right side where it says Be A Part of this story and it'll take a few seconds. Thanks!

Maker_84
09-21-2012, 12:06 PM
A month ago a 4 piece issue came out called "Deadpool kills the Marvel Universe." That's right Deadpool kills everyone of them....Captain America, Spiderman, Hulk, Doctor Doom, Venom, the X-Men, Fantastic Four all in such ingenious ways too since he knows all their weaknesses. Great read for die hard comic book fans.

OldRightHander
09-27-2012, 08:55 PM
The iPad is one of the best things for reading comics. I hadn't read any in years, but I've put the DC and Marvel apps on my iPad and they have some really good deals on there. A lot of older issues for cheap or in some cases free and some of the new ones are being released same day as print.

Joseph
09-27-2012, 09:23 PM
Been reading the Walking Dead lately. First real comic reading in a long time. I love it. Started with the graphic novels and jumped to the monthly once I caught up.

Degenerate39
11-24-2012, 04:40 PM
Been reading the Walking Dead lately. First real comic reading in a long time. I love it. Started with the graphic novels and jumped to the monthly once I caught up.

Those monthly comics are going for big money on eBay now