PDA

View Full Version : vBulletin Upgrade

Boss-Hog
10-02-2005, 09:34 AM
All,

I just upgraded vBulletin (the forum software this site uses) to the latest version, which is more secure and has a LOT of new features. This upgrade is a significant one from the previous version that we were running. As a result, I will have to reinstall all the customized features that are not built in to the vB package (such as smilies in quick reply and some custom reputation components we had). Additionally, it should not be unexpected to see some broken links and quirky behavior (such as the quick reply submit button appearing twice). I will take care of all of this as soon as I can. It will take some time and right now, I'm off to the Bengals game to (hopefully) watch them go 4-0. In the meantime, the board should be functional, in that you can read and post without any major problems, but please bear with us until I can work out all the kinks of this massive upgrade.

Boss

KronoRed
10-02-2005, 02:09 PM
You put the Bengals above us?!?!?

What's WRONG WITH YOU!?!?!????

;)

Caveat Emperor
10-02-2005, 05:17 PM
Ooooohhhhh....new features!!!

Boss-Hog
10-03-2005, 09:34 AM
All,

I just upgraded vBulletin (the forum software this site uses) to the latest version, which is more secure and has a LOT of new features. This upgrade is a significant one from the previous version that we were running. As a result, I will have to reinstall all the customized features that are not built in to the vB package (such as smilies in quick reply and some custom reputation components we had). Additionally, it should not be unexpected to see some broken links and quirky behavior (such as the quick reply submit button appearing twice). I will take care of all of this as soon as I can. It will take some time and right now, I'm off to the Bengals game to (hopefully) watch them go 4-0. In the meantime, the board should be functional, in that you can read and post without any major problems, but please bear with us until I can work out all the kinks of this massive upgrade.

Boss
Until I can make all the necessary fixes to the regular style, if you go into your user control panel and switch the board skin/style to "Default", this should fix any javascript/avatar/quick reply issues. Please note that the skin will be a true vBulletin default, i.e. while everything will be functional and compatible with vB 3.5 (the latest version), it will not have a Reds theme. That's what I have to work on.

See this thread (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40281) for more information.

KronoRed
10-03-2005, 01:50 PM
Thanks Boss :)

smith288
10-03-2005, 01:55 PM
Use this to quickly switch to the skin if you get an error trying to use the drop down skin selector

http://www.redszone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24&styleid=10

KronoRed
10-03-2005, 01:59 PM
Thanks smith..I was about to ask :lol:

cumberlandreds
10-03-2005, 02:13 PM
Thanks smith..I was about to ask :lol:
Test

Boss-Hog
10-03-2005, 07:42 PM
The changes are done and everything should work as designed with the default style.

One drawback is that because the code changed so much between the version we were running until yesterday (3.0.8) and the current version, (3.5) none of the custom add-ons I had installed will work with the 3.5 code. The good news is that these add-ons will eventually be "released" with code compatible with 3.5, but that usually takes a bit of time, until the people coding the add-ons have a good grasp on the stock vBulletin code they're modifying/adding on to. Here is a list of those custom addons we've (at least temporarily) lost:

15 Most Recent Searches (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61424)
Smilies in Quick Reply (http://www.vbulletintemplates.com/mods/showthread.php?t=6449)
Force Comment When Giving Reputation (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65484)
Reputation Click Tracker (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=72781)
Display Reputation Given in User Control Panel (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=69296)Please let me know if you see anything out of the ordinary (broken images, error messages, etc.) Thanks for your patience.

westofyou
10-03-2005, 07:46 PM
Boss the header link goes to a fatal error warning.

paintmered
10-03-2005, 07:51 PM

I'm getting it too.

Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /home/reds/domains/redszone.com/public_html/forums/index.php on line 315

Boss-Hog
10-03-2005, 07:57 PM
Thanks - that should be fixed now.

Unassisted
10-03-2005, 10:15 PM
Second layer of smilies in advanced reply isn't working... the "More" button links to the same "advanced reply" page rather than the window with the rest of the smilies.

Boss-Hog
10-03-2005, 10:52 PM
Is this the link you're talking about? If so, it works OK for me...

Second layer of smilies in advanced reply isn't working... the "More" button links to the same "advanced reply" page rather than the window with the rest of the smilies.

SteelSD
10-04-2005, 02:01 AM
Ok. I'm using Mozilla Firefox as a browser and I can't get much of anything to post right now. It's entirely frustrating.

Boss-Hog
10-04-2005, 06:29 AM
Ok. I'm using Mozilla Firefox as a browser and I can't get much of anything to post right now. It's entirely frustrating.
Something's screwed up with the RedsZone style...I'm working on the fix right now. In the meantime, the other three should work fine.

Boss-Hog
10-04-2005, 06:32 AM
I found the problem - everything should be good to go now. Thanks for your patience. :)

smith288
10-04-2005, 08:18 AM
MS is getting back at you for your sins of not using IE.

Caveat Emperor
10-04-2005, 09:37 AM

I'm on Mozilla Firefox right now, RedsZone is running well on any style I use.

smith288
10-04-2005, 10:02 AM

yea.because...

I found the problem - everything should be good to go now. Thanks for your patience.

;)

SteelSD
10-04-2005, 10:42 AM

Yeah, it's working fine for me too right now (thanks, Boss!).

The problem I was running into last night is that it appeared the 'zone was truncating the end of the first "half" of my posts and then also truncating the beginning of the second "half".

Didn't do that when I tried IE, but Firefox was a complete pain.

Blimpie
10-04-2005, 11:03 AM
Boss: Since the upgrade, when I hit the button for "Go to first new post," it now takes me to the first post in the thread every time regardless of whether or not I have read it. Is there something I need to tweak in Edit Options again?

Boss-Hog
10-04-2005, 11:28 AM
Boss: Since the upgrade, when I hit the button for "Go to first new post," it now takes me to the first post in the thread every time regardless of whether or not I have read it. Is there something I need to tweak in Edit Options again?
I'm not having that problem, but I did change (within the past half hour) the way forums and threads are marked as read. I'd recommend clearing your cookies, logging out and back in and let me know if you still have this problem.

10-04-2005, 11:34 AM
I'm not having that problem, but I did change (within the past half hour) the way forums and threads are marked as read. I'd recommend clearing your cookies, logging out and back in and let me know if you still have this problem.

I did all that and it still shows everey thread as being unread- just lettin' you know.

savafan
10-04-2005, 11:43 AM
I'm having this same problem now too

M2
10-04-2005, 12:33 PM
I've got no problems at the moment. Just did a quick edit on a typo and went through like gangbusters. I'm on Netscape 8.0.

Looked like it all happened at the browser level, which prompts the question of whether VB is now pushing Ajax? If so people are going to need to make sure they're using relatively new browsers that support Ajax. I believe the latest versions of Netscape, IE, Firefox and Safari all do, but people might want to double-check that if they're having problems.

savafan
10-04-2005, 01:05 PM
It's working now.

Boss-Hog
10-04-2005, 01:06 PM
I've got no problems at the moment. Just did a quick edit on a typo and went through like gangbusters. I'm on Netscape 8.0.

Looked like it all happened at the browser level, which prompts the question of whether VB is now pushing Ajax? If so people are going to need to make sure they're using relatively new browsers that support Ajax. I believe the latest versions of Netscape, IE, Firefox and Safari all do, but people might want to double-check that if they're having problems.
Yes, this is an Ajax function. It's one of the best things I've noticed so far about the upgrade.

Boss-Hog
10-04-2005, 01:07 PM
It's working now.
Can anyone else confirm if they're still having this problem (read threads appearing as unread)?

Blimpie
10-04-2005, 01:15 PM
Can anyone else confirm if they're still having this problem (read threads appearing as unread)?It now seems to be working fine for me, as well. Thanks Boss.

M2
10-04-2005, 01:21 PM
Yes, this is an Ajax function. It's one of the best things I've noticed so far about the upgrade.

Ajax is amazing stuff. As much as you like it now, you're going to love it as you see more of the stuff it can do. Real-time, self-updating game threads are coming in the not-too-distant future. In fact, if MLB.com opens up the API for Gamecast in the next year or two we'll probably be able to grab that and run it at the top of a real-time game thread.

Anyway, the first troubleshoot with Ajax is checking the user browser. If you can use Google Maps, you can use Ajax. If not, then you'll need to update your browser.

M2
10-04-2005, 01:24 PM
Can anyone else confirm if they're still having this problem (read threads appearing as unread)?

All fixed for me. Had been a problem earlier and now it's gone.

Boss-Hog
10-04-2005, 01:41 PM
vB 3.5 introduced two new methods for tracking which threads have been read and which have not. Here are available options - we are currently using option #1. Let me know what you guys think:

Thread/Forum Read Marking Type

This option controls how threads and forums are marked as read.

1). Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the cookie timeout option - currently 15 minutes) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies.

This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.

2). Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum.

This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.

3). Database (automatic forum marking) - this option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read.

This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.

smith288
10-04-2005, 01:43 PM
Ajax is amazing stuff. As much as you like it now, you're going to love it as you see more of the stuff it can do. Real-time, self-updating game threads are coming in the not-too-distant future. In fact, if MLB.com opens up the API for Gamecast in the next year or two we'll probably be able to grab that and run it at the top of a real-time game thread.

Anyway, the first troubleshoot with Ajax is checking the user browser. If you can use Google Maps, you can use Ajax. If not, then you'll need to update your browser.
You said it. Ajax has so many applications that it can turn any boring normal website into an active application. Just adding a post without actually posting the page is remedial compared to its potential.

Gamethreads with an active update using ajax is making me drool! :)

IE7 will be putting xmlhttp into the browser rather than using activex. Should be great.

Blimpie
10-04-2005, 01:52 PM
vB 3.5 introduced two new methods for tracking which threads have been read and which have not. Here are available options - we are currently using option #1. Let me know what you guys think:

Thread/Forum Read Marking Type

This option controls how threads and forums are marked as read.

1). Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the cookie timeout option - currently 15 minutes) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies.

This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.

2). Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum.

This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.

3). Database (automatic forum marking) - this option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read.

This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.Isn't option # 2 more like what we had available prior to this latest upgrade? If so, will: "option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking" keep this from being a feasible option?

Boss-Hog
10-04-2005, 02:10 PM
No, option #1 is definitely what we used prior to the upgrade, as it was the only available option for tracking read threads prior to 3.5. The reason you may not have noticed it is because of this aspect: "Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies.". That's how vB marks individual threads read (within a session) before the user clicks "Mark All Forums Read" when he or she is finished. Under this system, all threads will be marked as read if a). the user clicks "Mark All Forums Read" or b). he or she does not do this and 15 minutes pass.

I think we're OK from a bandwidth standpoint that none of the options should cause any problems.

Boss-Hog
10-06-2005, 05:52 PM
The following addons have been installed:

Smilies in Quickreply (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=96683)
Require Reputation Reason (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=91539)
Display Given Reputation Comments (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=91685)
Chat Integration (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=91278)
15 Most Recent Searches (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=95270)