PDA

View Full Version : Jim Bob's 16 kids

savafan
10-14-2005, 01:01 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9680098/

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - Michelle Duggar just delivered her 16th child, and she’s already thinking about doing it again.

Johannah Faith Duggar was born at 6:30 a.m. Tuesday and weighed 7 pounds, 6.5 ounces.

The baby’s father, Jim Bob Duggar, a former state representative, said Wednesday that mother and child were doing well. Johannah’s birth was especially exciting because it was the first time in eight years the family has had a girl, he said.

Jim Bob Duggar, 40, said he and Michelle, 39, want more children.

“We both just love children and we consider each a blessing from the Lord. I have asked Michelle if she wants more and she said yes, if the Lord wants to give us some she will accept them,” he said in a telephone interview.

The Discovery Health Channel filmed Johannah’s birth and plans to air a show about the family in May.

The Learning Channel is doing another show about the family’s construction project, a 7,000-square foot house that should be finished before Christmas. The home, which the family from the northwest Arkansas town of Rogers has been building for two years, will have nine bathrooms, dormitory-style bedrooms for the girls and boys, a commercial kitchen, four washing machines and four dryers.

Jim Bob Duggar, who sells real estate, previously lost his bid for the U.S. Senate. He said he expects to run for the state Senate next year but isn’t ready to make a formal announcement.

Michelle Duggar, 39, had her first child at age 21, four years after the couple married.

Their children include two sets of twins, and each child has a name beginning with the letter “J”: Joshua, 17; John David, 15; Janna, 15; Jill, 14; Jessa, 12; Jinger, 11; Joseph, 10; Josiah, 9; Joy-Anna, 8; Jeremiah, 6; Jedidiah, 6; Jason, 5; James, 4; Justin, 2; Jackson Levi, 1; and now Johannah.

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/051012/051012_16thkid_hmed_8p.hmedium.jpg

Cedric
10-14-2005, 01:09 AM
I work with a niece of this lady. Said it's a cult like family. They are building a 7,500 foot home with dormitory style rooms and bedding. Basically she said they are nuts.

Edit- I didn't read the whole story lol. After reading it I see where it also talked about the dorm style and the house.

missionhockey21
10-14-2005, 01:17 AM
And you think your job is tough. ;)

KronoRed
10-14-2005, 03:43 AM
I like the all J names, and they have gotten really inventive with them :lol:

Heath
10-14-2005, 07:47 AM
I like the all J names, and they have gotten really inventive with them :lol:

Yeah, great, when they finally run out of J names on the 463rd kid, they'll be searching for K names .... and they'll use Krono.....

Roy Tucker
10-14-2005, 08:04 AM
My wife's great aunt (or whatever you call a sister of a grandmother) had 14 kids. And 2-3 miscarriages.

They live on a dairy farm up in a little burg called Philothea, close to Celina. Most of the farms there had big families. We still go up there for family reunions.

remdog
10-14-2005, 08:43 AM
Let's see....16 kids in about 18 years. I believe the term is breeder.

Rem

OldRightHander
10-14-2005, 08:53 AM
I saw a program about them on tv not long ago. While I think they're just a bit off for wanting that many kids, they seemed to be a close knit family. They are part of some rather small church that meets in their home and some of the neighbors come over for services, but it didn't strike me as being cultish. At least this guy wasn't claiming divinity or anything like that. In short, I thought they reminded me of Amish with electricity, the way the children behaved and they way they interracted with others.

Stewie
10-14-2005, 09:24 AM
I feel bad for the kid who got stuck with the name "Jinger Duggar."

TeamMorris
10-14-2005, 09:41 AM
I saw a program about them on tv not long ago. While I think they're just a bit off for wanting that many kids, they seemed to be a close knit family. They are part of some rather small church that meets in their home and some of the neighbors come over for services, but it didn't strike me as being cultish. At least this guy wasn't claiming divinity or anything like that. In short, I thought they reminded me of Amish with electricity, the way the children behaved and they way they interracted with others.

I saw the same show. It was when she was about to have her 15th child. It was interesting to see how they lived. All the girls clothes are made by them and the boys dress in basic slacks and polo shirts. They are also home schooled and seem to be pretty smart. The house they are building is very nice and huge! The family is building it as they have the money...2 years in the making so far (I think). It will also have 2 school rooms in it. I do have to say though, I really think it will be culture shock when those kids go out in the real world!

As for mom...I think she is really pushing it with all those kids! Can't be healthy....must just be falling out by now:eek:

OldRightHander
10-14-2005, 10:15 AM
As for mom...I think she is really pushing it with all those kids! Can't be healthy....must just be falling out by now:eek:

I might not be an expert, but I think that's how it usually happens.

cumberlandreds
10-14-2005, 10:43 AM
I know of a husband and wife that live in the Northern Virginia region that at last count had 13 kids,12 of which that were living. One died shortly after birth. I used to work with the man and have lost contact with them in the last two or three years. I don't doubt that they have had at least one or two more since. They were very devout Mormons. Having a bunch of kids had something to do with their religion. I knew other mormons and they had larger than average families but not this many.
This family home schooled their kids and I think depended heavily on their church for their childrens clothes. I don't see how in the world they could survive in the DC region with it's high cost living. He is GS-15 for the Feds which earns you over a 100K and she is into dollmaking which can make a decent amount of money. But still I never understood it in this day and age to have that many children. I'm sure you couldn't give each child that attention he or she needs. I always felt like the older kids were practically raising the younger ones which IMO isn't good. But if that's the way they want to live then that's their business. Just not for me.

TeamMorris
10-14-2005, 10:58 AM
I might not be an expert, but I think that's how it usually happens.

:laugh:

gonelong
10-14-2005, 12:32 PM
My dad was one of 14 kids. That type of number wasn't all that uncommon when you had farms involved.

There is a family in our area that has 20 kids. No, that is not a misprint. All of them are single birth (no twins, etc.). They are a nice family.

GL

Chip R
10-14-2005, 12:34 PM
My dad was one of 14 kids. That type of number wasn't all that uncommon when you had farms involved.

Gotta have something to do during the winter. ;)

OldRightHander
10-14-2005, 12:40 PM

That's why there are so many birthdays in September. It's nine months after New Years Eve.

gonelong
10-14-2005, 12:42 PM

Winter schminter ... they were a year-round kinda couple. :)

My grandparents always held hands on their walk to church, into their early 90's.

OldRightHander
10-14-2005, 12:47 PM
Winter schminter ... they were a year-round kinda couple. :)

Not just a cold weather sport. :D

ghettochild
10-14-2005, 01:18 PM
i wonder if she feels anything during labor anymore or do they just slide out whenever she's on the pot or something.

"HEY JIMBOB WE GOT ANOTHER VARMIT"

OldRightHander
10-14-2005, 01:25 PM
Well, this reminds me of the guy who was in the waiting room waiting on his wife to have a baby (back in the days when the men waited outside) and finally the doctor came out and said, "Congratulations, you have a son." The man was all happy and everyone was wishing him well and a few minutes later, the doctor came back out and said, "Another baby came out. You have twins." A little while later, the doctor came out and announced that his wife had triplets. At that point the man jumped up and started to run into the delivery room. The doctor said, "Wait a minute. You can't go in there. You're not sterile." The man looked at the doctor and said, "You got THAT right."

KronoRed
10-14-2005, 02:36 PM
Yeah, great, when they finally run out of J names on the 463rd kid, they'll be searching for K names .... and they'll use Krono.....

I'll sue ;)