PDA

View Full Version : Happy Halloween!!

TeamMorris
10-31-2005, 09:57 AM
HAPPY HALLOWEEN ALL!!!

westofyou
10-31-2005, 10:02 AM
IMO most overrated adult holiday by far.

#2 for Kids though.

OldRightHander
10-31-2005, 10:14 AM
IMO most overrated adult holiday by far.

#2 for Kids though.

I'm with you there. I don't even do anything for it at all. Not having kids makes that easy. Of course I will also have my porch light off as well tonight. I'll just turn off all the lights and watch a movie or something.

westofyou
10-31-2005, 10:24 AM
I'm with you there. I don't even do anything for it at all. Not having kids makes that easy. Of course I will also have my porch light off as well tonight. I'll just turn off all the lights and watch a movie or something.

Not me I hand out the candy, check out the kids and eat a bunch myself too.

Roy Tucker
10-31-2005, 10:32 AM
This year is the first year I won't be taking my kids out. My wife has always stayed home to pass out candy and I've always taken the kids out (mine and a few neighbor kids as well).

I've taken out my kids for the last 17 years so this is a rite of passage for Roy.

My youngest is in 7th grade and I told her a month or so back that if she wanted me to go, just ask. She has not yet and has made plans to go out with the neighborhood posse.

So the wife and I will uncork a bottle of wine, sit on the front porch, pass out candy, and talk about how time flies.

macro
10-31-2005, 10:54 AM
So the wife and I will uncork a bottle of wine, sit on the front porch, pass out candy, and talk about how time flies.

Easy on the wine, Roy...

http://peter-marina.com/drunkpumpkin_small.jpg

Blimpie
10-31-2005, 11:40 AM
I'm with you there. I don't even do anything for it at all. Not having kids makes that easy. Of course I will also have my porch light off as well tonight. I'll just turn off all the lights and watch a movie or something.Man, when I was a kid...this meant scrambled eggs on your shutters fo sho. ;)

Red Leader
10-31-2005, 11:55 AM
I agreed to let my wife take the kids around tonight, and I will stay home and pass out the candy. She's never taken them around, and really wants to. I felt guilty always being the one taking them around, so I agreed to let her do it this year.

To help out, I drew her up a map this morning on which direction they should go and approximately how much time they had to get from one house to the next if they wanted to hit the whole neighborhood, along with approximate times and landmarks to see if they were ahead of schedule or behind. :laugh:

Roy Tucker
10-31-2005, 12:02 PM
Easy on the wine, Roy...

Beware of barking pumpkins...

Taking the kids around, there are houses where they handed out beers to dads. Usually Bud Lite or Miller Lite, but beggars can't be choosers.

One house serves witches brew. If you are "in the know", you get the leaded version of it with a healthy shot of Crown Royal in it. Roy had been know to make more than one stop there.

So I'll probably be more sober staying home.

TeamBoone
10-31-2005, 04:19 PM

You mean to tell me you never went trick or treating as a kid? If the answer is yes, you missed out on a lot.

Next to Christmas, Halloween has always been my most fun holiday. I love opening the door to see all the costumes, especially the ones that the Moms (and some Dads) work so hard on.

Come on... give some candy to the kids.

Red Leader
10-31-2005, 04:23 PM
Hey, we got a first timer out here. C'mon, buddy do the right thing.

http://drops-of-jupiter.net/big_daddy/pictures/08.jpg

TeamMorris
10-31-2005, 05:09 PM
Great picture RL!!

TeamMorris
10-31-2005, 05:12 PM
You man to tell me you never went trick or treating as a kid? If the answer is yes, you missed out on a lot.

Next to Christmas, Halloween has always been my most fun holiday. I love opening the door to see all the costumes, especially the ones that the Moms (and some Dads) work so hard on.

I have to agree. The Holiday really is for kids. When living downtown Cincy I really missed handing out candy. Kids just don't come to apartment buildings.

TeamCasey
10-31-2005, 08:07 PM
I have to agree. The Holiday really is for kids. When living downtown Cincy I really missed handing out candy. Kids just don't come to apartment buildings.

We used to hit the apartment buildings. You could get twenty doors in a fraction of the time you'd get through a neighborhood.:evil:

OldRightHander
11-01-2005, 09:00 AM
You mean to tell me you never went trick or treating as a kid? If the answer is yes, you missed out on a lot.

I went as a kid, and I'm not one of those people who is going to tell people they shouldn't because they're worshipping Satan or anything like that. OTOH as an adult without kids married to a woman who comes from a country that didn't observe the same traditions we do, it just doesn't do anything for me. I was in the attic putting in insulation right about the time the kids were coming around, but there aren't a lot of trick or treaters on my street anyway. Even if we had bought candy, we probably would have been stuck with most of it left over. Most of my neighbors had most of theirs left because there weren't that many kids coming by.

OldRightHander
11-01-2005, 09:02 AM
When I was a kid, there was an old couple that would fire up a huge grill in their yard and cook hot dogs. Kids and parents alike got a hot dog and they had a little table with all the condiments you could ever want to put on it. We used to hit that house at least two or three times if we could.

TeamMorris
11-01-2005, 09:08 AM
When I was a kid, there was an old couple that would fire up a huge grill in their yard and cook hot dogs. Kids and parents alike got a hot dog and they had a little table with all the condiments you could ever want to put on it. We used to hit that house at least two or three times if we could.

That is a pretty good idea! People have been known to do that around here at garage sales. I bet they make more off the food than they do the garage sale stuff.

westofyou
11-01-2005, 09:42 AM
Yep, the day of popcorn balls, candy apples, brownies and cookies is long gone..... everyone wants choclate and they'd allprobably throw those jack-o-lantern candy corn at each other rather than eat it.

TeamCasey
11-01-2005, 10:02 AM
Yep, the day of popcorn balls, candy apples, brownies and cookies is long gone.....

My mom would have NEVER let us eat that stuff if they were in our Halloween bags ...... and that's going pretty far back. The fear of freaks with pins and razor blades.

Strangely enough, no fear of abduction. We always went out on our own until well after dark and hit probably 20 different neighborhoods.

TeamBoone
11-01-2005, 10:25 AM

That's a great idea and probably not much more expensive than giving out candy!

As an adult, I guess I feel it's my turn to pay back all that candy I collected as a kid.