PDA

View Full Version : Azubuike's Career With Cavaliers Short-Lived

WMR
11-01-2005, 01:31 PM
Cavaliers Waive Azubuike, Ekezie and White

CLEVELAND, October 27 - The Cleveland Cavaliers have waived guard Kelenna Azubuike and centers Obinna Ekezie and Jahidi White.

Azubuike played in five preseason games with averages of 7.0 points and 3.0 rebounds in 20.2 minutes per game. Ekezie averaged 3.8 points and 2.2 rebounds in 10.7 minutes per game in six preseason games. White played in three preseason games averaging 3.7 points and 2.0 rebounds in 6.7 minutes per game.

The Cavaliers roster now stands at 15 players.

Hmmm, wonder what Buike's next step will be? Is a trip to Romania in his near-future? Gosh, that guy could have been the centerpiece of this year's team, setting himself up as a potential first-round draft pick... instead, who knows what's going to become of him.

Look at Tayshaun Prince. Just signed an extension worth like 50 mill. Not saying that Buike would be guaranteed such success; but guys like Tayshaun and Keith Bogans both flirted with early-entry into the NBA, ACTUALLY LISTENED to their coach and everyone else (asides from some snake agents who were assuredly whispering in their ears) and returned for their senior year of college.

flyer85
11-01-2005, 01:42 PM
Just one of many.

Assessing one's own talent level is generally not a strength of 20 something males.

cumberlandreds
11-01-2005, 01:50 PM
I really think AZ had a lot pressure put on him to go pro early because of his father's situation. If his father can pay back the money that he ripped off from people he can get out of jail quicker. I'm sure family members really put the pressure on him to make a quick buck. But really hurt him in the end. Very sad situation for this young man. I think you will see him in Europe playing pro ball there.

Blimpie
11-01-2005, 01:52 PM
For every underclassman NBA success story, there will always be a Kelenna Azubuike. More so than with the others, I have a tendency to cut Kelenna some slack. His father's federal incarceration (and hundreds of thousands of dollars in associated fines) had to be a mitigating factor in his decision to enter the draft. My only problem with Kelenna is that he ignored all advice to the contrary and signed with an agent almost immediately upon declaring himself draft eligible. All bridges being completely burned, he had no choice but to ride it out.

I can't fathom how these kids think having an agent prior to the draft actually improves their draft placement. If you a) have talent and b) reside on planet Earth, then the team scouts WILL find you! By signing with an agent, you only paint yourself into a corner. My guess is that agent of his is probably pretty hard to reach on the phone these days. If he DID answer the phone, I would ask him which team in the NBA needs a tweener position scorer who lacks the physicality to play anything bigger than a # 2 and is alergic to playing defense. Sadly, one more year under Tubby's tutelage could have gone a long way to addressing both of these problems.

Being a UK optomist, I like to think that by Kelenna banishing himself to the D-League--we were allowed another chance to have Joe Crawford become a force in the league this year.

WMR
11-01-2005, 02:36 PM
For every underclassman NBA success story, there will always be a Kelenna Azubuike. More so than with the others, I have a tendency to cut Kelenna some slack. His father's federal incarceration (and hundreds of thousands of dollars in associated fines) had to be a mitigating factor in his decision to enter the draft. My only problem with Kelenna is that he ignored all advice to the contrary and signed with an agent almost immediately upon declaring himself draft eligible. All bridges being completely burned, he had no choice but to ride it out.

I can't fathom how these kids think having an agent prior to the draft actually improves their draft placement. If you a) have talent and b) reside on planet Earth, then the team scouts WILL find you! By signing with an agent, you only paint yourself into a corner. My guess is that agent of his is probably pretty hard to reach on the phone these days. If he DID answer the phone, I would ask him which team in the NBA needs a tweener position scorer who lacks the physicality to play anything bigger than a # 2 and is alergic to playing defense. Sadly, one more year under Tubby's tutelage could have gone a long way to addressing both of these problems.

Being a UK optomist, I like to think that by Kelenna banishing himself to the D-League--we were allowed another chance to have Joe Crawford become a force in the league this year.

http://www.studiobgalleryandgifts.com/images/Bruce/Silver%20Lining.jpg

:thumbup:

RedFanAlways1966
11-01-2005, 02:48 PM
The Cleveland Cavaliers have waived guard Kelenna Azubuike and centers Obinna Ekezie...

I won't even try to pronounce these names. I guess I miss more "normal" names like Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Isiah Thomas, James Worthy and Michael Jordan.

To these "just got cut" guys I can only think of two words, "Maurice Clarett"...

Blimpie
11-01-2005, 02:54 PM
I won't even try to pronounce these names. I guess I miss more "normal" names like Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Isiah Thomas, James Worthy and Michael Jordan.

To these "just got cut" guys I can only think of two words, "Maurice Clarett"...CBS had an play by play announcer last season (can't remember his name) who did a few of the UK games. No fewer than six times per telecast, he would call the UK forward Kelenna "Aba-zookey" :bang:

Heath
11-01-2005, 03:39 PM
Reading the northern Ohio Cavalier scribes - the former UK star is a 6'5 guy who had a good pre-season, but unfortunately, there is some guy named James in front of him.

There was talk that if he passed through waivers, the Cavaliers would put him on their D-League team.

danforsman
11-01-2005, 05:24 PM
CBS had an play by play announcer last season (can't remember his name) who did a few of the UK games. No fewer than six times per telecast, he would call the UK forward Kelenna "Aba-zookey" :bang:

The legendary Richard Enberg.

WVRed
11-01-2005, 05:39 PM
Hmmm, wonder what Buike's next step will be? Is a trip to Romania in his near-future? Gosh, that guy could have been the centerpiece of this year's team, setting himself up as a potential first-round draft pick... instead, who knows what's going to become of him.

Look at Tayshaun Prince. Just signed an extension worth like 50 mill. Not saying that Buike would be guaranteed such success; but guys like Tayshaun and Keith Bogans both flirted with early-entry into the NBA, ACTUALLY LISTENED to their coach and everyone else (asides from some snake agents who were assuredly whispering in their ears) and returned for their senior year of college.

While your main points are dead on, dont forget that unlike Prince and Bogans, Kelenna had a family situation that put pressure on him to make his decision. It was pretty much a well known fact by everybody, including Tubby, that he would declare for the draft.

For the record, Bogans will be nothing more than a bench player who is getting a break right now playing for the Charlotte Bobcats, an ongoing expansion team. Once that team gets some talent on the wing, Bogans will be gone(quite possibly as early as this season).

WMR
11-01-2005, 06:39 PM
While your main points are dead on, dont forget that unlike Prince and Bogans, Kelenna had a family situation that put pressure on him to make his decision. It was pretty much a well known fact by everybody, including Tubby, that he would declare for the draft.

For the record, Bogans will be nothing more than a bench player who is getting a break right now playing for the Charlotte Bobcats, an ongoing expansion team. Once that team gets some talent on the wing, Bogans will be gone(quite possibly as early as this season).

I can certainly empathize with Buike's situation... however, if every single credible source was telling him that he had virtually no chance of being drafted, which SEVERELY limits the possibility of making an NBA team your first season out of college (early departure notwithstanding!), how does that information equate to leaving school when you could possibly pay off your dad's entire fine with your signing bonus if you stay and have a solid senior season??? It's just beyond ridiculous.

WMR
11-01-2005, 06:42 PM
And irregardless of all that: Why hire an agent? That demonstrates to me that this was about more than just his dad... sometimes maybe you can't see the forest for all the trees, I guess.

I guess part of my incredulity stems from the fact that, being such a diehard UK fan, I simply cannot fathom leaving such a quality institution where you are receiving the finest basketball instruction (possibly in the entire world). If you weren't guaranteed to make money which could help your family, why would you take a route that could end up putting them in an even worse position???

I wish Azubuike the best, its just too bad that he doesn't have a strong father-presence (or any fatherly presence at all). Sometimes you really need somebody to give you a kick in the butt and tell you when you're screwing up. As a young man of a similar age, nobody can get my attention quite like my dad.