PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else pre-ordered XBox 360?

WMR
11-02-2005, 10:16 AM
I'm stoked. It's going to be sweet.

A total entertainment package, specifically designed to utilize HD, widescreen, and surround sound formats.

Joseph
11-02-2005, 10:38 AM
I keep trying to win one with my Mt Dew lids. To no avail. Other than that small chance, the wife won't let me dole out the cash for one.

Blimpie
11-02-2005, 12:24 PM
Nope...I still can't decide between the Xbox or braces for my daughter. :bang:

WMR
11-02-2005, 12:41 PM
Nope...I still can't decide between the Xbox or braces for my daughter. :bang:

LOL; c'mon Blimpie, that one's easy: Get the Xbox for yourself, get your daughter InvisaLine. ;)

OldRightHander
11-02-2005, 12:54 PM
I had the Atari 2600 when it was new. That thing was state of the art.

Joseph
11-02-2005, 01:12 PM
I miss the Atari. I've had a jonesing to play Pitfall for a while, and Pac-Man too.

OldRightHander
11-02-2005, 01:24 PM
A couple in my church still have their old Atari and the thing still works. We were over at their house a few months ago and we sat forever playing those old games. Surprisingly, they were still about as much fun as any of the new ones with the slick graphics. I like the realism of some of the new ones, but those were a blast. Either that or we were just being nostalgic.

WMR
11-02-2005, 01:59 PM
Want to play the old games?
That's a link for an Atari 2600 Emulator. That website has Emulators for everything from Gamecube to NES to 2600.

http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/a2600/z26.html

Here's a link where you can download ROM's which are the old games themselves. This is a good site that has an excellent compendium of games for just about every system imaginable.

http://www.rom-world.com

Just follow the read-me to use the software. Basically what you do is download the ROMs to the same folder that you unzip the Emulator to. When you want to play the specific game, you drag and drop the downloaded ROM onto the Emulator.exe icon which will then launch the game.

Pretty cool stuff.

KronoRed
11-02-2005, 02:47 PM
I'll wait till it price drops in about a year, the ps2 is fine for me now

Caveat Emperor
11-02-2005, 03:02 PM
I'll wait to see where the better games go between PS3 and Xbox 360 before I make a purchase.

I definately perfer PS2 to Xbox, and unless I see something that wows me into changing my mind, I don't see me going Xbox 360 in this go-round.

OldRightHander
11-02-2005, 03:10 PM
I definately perfer PS2 to Xbox,

I thought I was the only one. I am not what you would call a hard core gamer or anything like that, but I've always enjoyed the sports games as something of a diversion in the evenings. I used to keep a fair number of games on my computer at home, but I have an older computer and I was having problems with conflicts or some of the newer games running slow on my machine. So finally I decided that getting a console and not keeping a lot of games on my computer would be a good solution. I looked at the PS2 and the Xbox and decided on the PS2 just because I liked the controller a lot more. I know that the computer versions tend to be better than the console ones, but my computer is running a lot better right now without all of the games cluttering up the hard drive. When I get a new computer in the next year or so, maybe I'll put some of them back on there, but for now I'm sticking with the PS2.

KronoRed
11-02-2005, 03:14 PM
What about the Nintendo Revolution? ability to play every old N64/Snes/NES game is a nice feature to me.

Elam
11-02-2005, 03:46 PM
What about the Nintendo Revolution? ability to play every old N64/Snes/NES game is a nice feature to me.
Sounds very intrigiung to me to, especially since nintendo trying to put themselves ontop of the market again since being blown away by the PS 2 and X Box.

Revolution:
http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/article/522/522559/igncubes-nintendo-revolution-faq-20050525023040785.jpg

X Box 360:
http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01/videogames/detail-page/B0009KF9FM.jpg

Sabo Fan
11-02-2005, 03:48 PM
Here's a question for those who are in the know: as I understand it there are different price levels for the Xbox360. You can add on extra stuff depending on what you want and don't want. If I buy the base "package" will I be able to play old Xbox games on it? I thought I had read somewhere that in order to do that it would cost an extra $100 and I was curious if anyone knew if that was true or not. If it is I may just wait until the price drops on the original Xbox and get one of those.

zombie-a-go-go
11-02-2005, 03:53 PM
Here's a question for those who are in the know: as I understand it there are different price levels for the Xbox360. You can add on extra stuff depending on what you want and don't want. If I buy the base "package" will I be able to play old Xbox games on it? I thought I had read somewhere that in order to do that it would cost an extra $100 and I was curious if anyone knew if that was true or not. If it is I may just wait until the price drops on the original Xbox and get one of those.

If you want to play old XBox games on the 360 you have to equip it with the additional hard drive, which is an additional hundred bones.

KronoRed
11-02-2005, 04:07 PM
You also get wireless controllers instead of wired for that 100 bucks.

dman
11-02-2005, 05:34 PM
If you want to play old XBox games on the 360 you have to equip it with the additional hard drive, which is an additional hundred bones.
Leave it to Microsoft to do such a thing

TC81190
11-02-2005, 05:35 PM
Revolution baby.

But yea Im getttin the 360. Im gettin the trifecta again.

GAC
11-02-2005, 09:23 PM
I had the Atari 2600 when it was new. That thing was state of the art.

I still have mine, and the 5200 too. We had it out playing it a couple weeks ago.

Pong rocks! :lol:

My controllers are shot though. Wish I could find replacements.

I have a question concerning X Box.

My 17 yr old now wants an X Box. Not the new one coming out (no way I can afford one now); but the current one that runs about $150.

I need to know how it can be hooked up to the internet so he can play online.

I currently have a Linksys router with wireless internet going to two other computers in the house. Will the X Box be able to utilize that if I by a card for it?

WMR
11-02-2005, 09:50 PM
GAC, you don't buy a wireless card. You have to buy a Xbox router which will allow the xbox to access your wireless network. They make an offbrand one as well as a Microsoft-produced one. Both cost $100.00. Expensive, I know, but that is the only way to utilize XBox Live via a wireless internet connection. Since they both cost the same, better to go w/ the one made by Microsoft. You just hook it up into the Broadband port in the back and it'll automatically recognize whichever wireless networks are within it's range at which point you decide which wireless network you want it to access.

Hope that helps.

GAC
11-03-2005, 07:58 AM
Thx Wily. My son was saying the same thing, but I wanted to check it out to be sure. It looks to me like he is gonna have to make a choice between getting games for that X Box on Christmas or the hookup. :lol:

He gets money from grandparents and relatives too, so we'll see how it works out.

He's into the game called Halo.

WMR
11-03-2005, 08:15 AM
NP. Yep, Halo and Halo 2 are def. the "killer apps" for XBox.

Also definitely the most popular game on XBox Live (well, perhaps Halo along w/ Madden, which also has a very large and devoted online fanbase.)

Caveat Emperor
11-03-2005, 08:42 AM
NP. Yep, Halo and Halo 2 are def. the "killer apps" for XBox.

Also definitely the most popular game on XBox Live (well, perhaps Halo along w/ Madden, which also has a very large and devoted online fanbase.)

I hate Halo, mostly because law school has erroded any skills I had for playing games of that nature (groomed by many, many hours of "GoldenEye" on the N64 when I was in high school and as a freshman in college). I tried to play on a friend's Xbox over the summer, and was absolutely obliterated by everyone I played with -- both in the room and online.

I can still school anyone with the option on NCAA 2006, though, and I absolutely rock at devestating millions of Browns fans in Madden 2005 by moving their team to Richmond, VA (Catch Virginia Generals football weekly at Robert E. Lee Stadium)-- nobody can take that away from me. :laugh:

WMR
11-03-2005, 08:55 AM
Yep, I'm actually not a big Halo guy myself. Esp. Online; I just don't have the time to reach the proficiency level required to avoid being absolutely mauled by nearly everyone else online.

Sports games are definitely my thing.

There was some talk here of people saying that they prefer PS2 over XBox. I respectfully disagree. I own PS2, XBox, and Gamecube and, from my experiences, XBox is far and away the superior system.

The graphics are superior, there's no question about that.

The initial XBox controller was horrible; better suited for Shaquille O'Neal than mere mortals. However, the new controllers remedied that problem. However, what really does it for me is the button lay-out of the XBox controller. The layout of the "shoulder-buttons" which allow for turbo in bball games or firing your weapon in 1st person shooters, are more like true trigger buttons whereas the PS2 shoulder buttons are just that: shoulder buttons; NOT trigger buttons. This is a very small design difference, but in sports games and 1st person shooters, it makes a world of difference. (the gamecube, btw, w/ it's funky controller design, is NEVER my choice for multi-platform games. The only games I ever buy for Gamecube are Gamecube specific games: Nintendo produced games such as Mario & Zelda which cannot be played on any other system)

When a multi-platform games comes out, the choice for which system to buy it on, for me, is a no-brainer. (esp. when you add in Microsoft's FAR FAR superior online presence, XBox Live)

Caveat Emperor
11-03-2005, 09:27 AM
It's actually the controller that I most dislike about the Xbox. I'll grant you the graphics point, but I think the XBox controller is just poorly designed, especially on button layout.

While having "Trigger" buttons are nice in certain situations, there's no denying how useful having 4 "shoulder" buttons is, especially for playing sports games like football titles. Having your stiff arm and pitch buttons up top is great for playing football games, since it frees you to use the spead burst or juke moves at the same time while running the option in NCAA.

Plus, the layout of the "White/Black" button on the XBox feels like an afterthought and the move down there with your thumb is difficult while keeping your fingers on the "home" buttons.

I much prefer the feel of the PS2's controller, which is just a perfect design for the vast majority of games, IMO.

paintmered
11-03-2005, 09:31 AM
I've seen students flunk out of school due to Halo.

WMR
11-03-2005, 09:35 AM

If you're going to buy a XBox 360, I know it hurts a little bit, but go ahead and spend the extra 100 bucks to get the Deluxo package. Not only does it come with the Hard Drive, which costs 100 bucks separately by itself, it comes with:
- Remote Control (40 bucks)
- Headset (30-40 bucks)
- Wireless Controller (10 bucks more than a wired controller; 50 bucks)
- Gold subscription to XBox Live (versus Silver package w/ basic 360)
- Component Video hook-ups (50 bucks; core comes w/ old-style)

If you go with the base system, you're still going to be forced to buy a memory card in order to save any game progress. The memory card costs 40 bucks. So.... you're basically looking at a 60-dollar difference between the core and the deluxe, and look at all the extra crap they're throwing in w/ the Deluxe. It really doesn't make much sense to get the base system. However, Microsoft's thinking is that the "harried mom" shopper will balk at 400 no matter how much it pays to go w/ that system while perhaps going for the 300 price point. Plus, when little junior decides he's got to have the HD 6-months down the road, Microsoft turns an even tidier profit.

And what does this all add up to?

Microsoft is still the devil. ;)

OldRightHander
11-03-2005, 09:39 AM
It's actually the controller that I most dislike about the Xbox. I'll grant you the graphics point, but I think the XBox controller is just poorly designed, especially on button layout.

While having "Trigger" buttons are nice in certain situations, there's no denying how useful having 4 "shoulder" buttons is, especially for playing sports games like football titles. Having your stiff arm and pitch buttons up top is great for playing football games, since it frees you to use the spead burst or juke moves at the same time while running the option in NCAA.

Plus, the layout of the "White/Black" button on the XBox feels like an afterthought and the move down there with your thumb is difficult while keeping your fingers on the "home" buttons.

I much prefer the feel of the PS2's controller, which is just a perfect design for the vast majority of games, IMO.

I'm with you there. I will give the Xbox the credit for superior graphics, but I just prefer the PS2 controller. Every button is right there within easy reach. It's the perfect controller for sports games, especially Madden and MVP.

WMR
11-03-2005, 09:40 AM

I see what you're saying.

Like they say, "Different strokes for different folks." ;)

On all sports games, however, even if I did like the PS2 controllers lay-out better (which I don't) or was willing to accept inferior graphics (which I am not), the on-line experience via XBox as opposed to PS2 would get me every time.

paintmered
11-03-2005, 09:42 AM
I haven't owned a console gaming system since the original Nintendo. But I will probably be purchasing a 360 sometime this winter.

KronoRed
11-03-2005, 03:32 PM
I've seen students flunk out of school due to Halo.
I just don't get that, Halo is NOT that fun, I mean it's good for a laugh online..but flunk out of school? it's not PAC MAN! ;)