PDA

View Full Version : Deters wants to make example out of fan who ran onto field

savafan
11-22-2005, 01:29 PM
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051122/NEWS01/511220337

Greg Gall, who ran onto the field at Paul Brown Stadium during a Bengals home game last month, faces an opponent tougher than he probably expected: Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters.

In an unusual move, Deters fired off a letter Monday to Hamilton County Municipal Judge David Stockdale urging him to impose jail time for the rogue fan.

"Unless a strong message is sent, our ability to enjoy our football stadium is compromised," Deters wrote. "It is for these reasons my office seeks at least 30 days of incarceration."

Gall, 31, of Mount Washington, ran onto the field and snatched the football from Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre during a Bengals home game Oct. 30. Security quickly tackled Gall and arrested him on charges of criminal trespassing, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct while intoxicated.

"I feel very strongly about this," Deters said. "We need to hold people personally responsible for this type of behavior. If we don't, stupid acts like this will inspire copycat actions and result in increased limitations and restrictions for everybody."

Gall, who is free without bond, faces up to four months in jail and up to 30 hours of community service. However, no jail time is mandatory. After a meeting last week, an assistant prosecutor left believing Stockdale would not impose jail time, Deters said.

Deters also pointed out that Gall has a prior conviction from 1995 on a charge of aggravated assault stemming from a drunken bar fight in which he beat somebody with a pilsner glass.

Scott Rubenstein, Gall's lawyer, said he had hoped to work out a plea deal Wednesday in which Gall would plead guilty to criminal trespass in exchange for the dismissal of the more serious charge, resisting arrest.

Such a plea deal could mean no jail time, Rubenstein said. A disorderly conduct conviction does not carry a jail term.

"I'm hoping for probation," Rubenstein said. "I hope the judge still sees it for what it is - an otherwise responsible, law-abiding citizen who made a bad decision. He's got a lot at stake here."

Rubenstein said he understands that county officials and the Bengals want to prevent others from following in Gall's footsteps.

"I don't think jail time will have the intended affect," Rubenstein said. "People who have followed this case and seen what's happened to him absolutely understand this is not a funny thing to do, or a heroic thing to do.

"It's not worth it for 15 minutes of fame."

Redsland
11-22-2005, 01:52 PM
I'm all for detering this kind of thing, but 30 days in the pokey seems like a lot.

zombie-a-go-go
11-22-2005, 01:54 PM
How on earth do you beat someone with a pilsner glass? Those things break the first time you crack someone over the head with them.

REDREAD
11-22-2005, 01:55 PM
Jail time (other than maybe 1 day), is way too extreme.

Does the prosecuter honestly think that a drunk guy thinks through all the legal precedents and wieghs the possible punishment before running out on the field?

savafan
11-22-2005, 01:57 PM
I think the fines and court costs are enough. Besides, I thought it was funny to watch on TV, especially when the guy got drilled by security.

westofyou
11-22-2005, 01:57 PM
624 hours of community service, roughly 1 year and 6 months of 8 hour Saturdays, the State doesn't have to pay for his upkeep and they in return get 624 hours of labor.

Chip R
11-22-2005, 01:58 PM
How on earth do you beat someone with a pilsner glass? Those things break the first time you crack someone over the head with them.

You could hit them with the bottom of the glass while holding the other end. That's pretty thick down there and you could really hurt someone with it.

As for jail time, I think that's a bit much. It's not going to deter anyone drunk enough to go out there.

Joseph
11-22-2005, 02:09 PM
I understand the gent was intoxicated to no end and therefore not at all thinking clearly, but I'm in great favor of the penal system making examples. As a society we've decided that things like this are cute or funny and it abolishes every bit of societal integrity we have. The decay of our country in terms of situations just like this is getting to the critical point. If control isn't already lost it soon will be. Now I don’t mean to blow this out of proportion any further than I already have, but as a rule if we don’t keep a level of civility and in doing so a degree of crime and punishment, then the country and the world will continue to degenerate.

It’s the first step, the slope is slippery.

All that said, WOY is pretty well on, do something severe like a year or more of community service, or weekends in jail for a year, anything that will deter further peoples from doing this and not looking at it like it’s a harmless and amusing prank.

WMR
11-22-2005, 02:19 PM
I understand the gent was intoxicated to no end and therefore not at all thinking clearly, but I'm in great favor of the penal system making examples. As a society we've decided that things like this are cute or funny and it abolishes every bit of societal integrity we have. The decay of our country in terms of situations just like this is getting to the critical point. If control isn't already lost it soon will be. Now I don’t mean to blow this out of proportion any further than I already have, but as a rule if we don’t keep a level of civility and in doing so a degree of crime and punishment, then the country and the world will continue to degenerate.

All that said, WOY is pretty well on, do something severe like a year or more of community service, or weekends in jail for a year, anything that will deter further peoples from doing this and not looking at it like it’s a harmless and amusing prank.

Weekends in jail for a year?

IMO, Imposing jail time in a case like this is inappropriate. Giving him a huge amount of community service is sufficient. Maybe, like someone else mentioned, a ceremonial day in jail. Anything beyond that is excessive.

savafan
11-22-2005, 02:20 PM
For reference, what did Morganna the kissing bandit ever get? What about the guys who assaulted the Royals' third base coach?

Chip R
11-22-2005, 02:24 PM

I'm not saying the guy who ran out on the field is blameless but security there was the bigger culprit. It's their job to keep that from happening and not stand around watching the ball game. I'll bet you that this guy wouldn't have gone out there if he were sober either. This guy could have been a pillar of his community, good husband and father, excellent worker and just does dumbass things when he gets drunk.

You could give people severe jail time and make it a felony and they would still do it because they are drunk and aren't thinking rationally.

savafan
11-22-2005, 02:26 PM
So the solution is to stop tailgating and to cut off beer sales. ;)

Chip R
11-22-2005, 02:51 PM
So the solution is to stop tailgating and to cut off beer sales. ;)

You can't legislate behavior. I'm sure the Bengals price their beer not only to make a handsome profit but to restrict demand. Restricting demand keeps them from running out of beer and it gives fans pause before buying a 2nd or 3rd or 5th beer. If beer were only $1 a bottle they couldn't keep it in stock and you'd have a helluva lot more drunks than you have now.

westofyou
11-22-2005, 02:54 PM
So the solution is to stop tailgating and to cut off beer sales. ;)Ladies and gentlemen the owner of the Worcester Ruby Legs!

OldRightHander
11-22-2005, 02:58 PM
I think the fines and court costs are enough. Besides, I thought it was funny to watch on TV, especially when the guy got drilled by security. That security guy should be on the defensive line.

RedFanAlways1966
11-22-2005, 04:29 PM
If you don't have the time, don't do the crime.

31-years-old, stone-cold drunk and disrupting a public event. Sympathy? Not from me. Sounds like dummy could use the 30-days to dry out. Obviously he did not learn his lesson from a stupid-drunk-thing 10 years ago.
Being drunk is not an excuse. Just like driving an auto drunk (but being too drunk to "know better") is inexcusable.

If you don't have the time, don't do the crime. Simple as that.

KronoRed
11-22-2005, 04:30 PM
Lets set up some gallows

Caveat Emperor
11-22-2005, 04:47 PM
Being drunk is not an excuse. Just like driving an auto drunk (but being too drunk to "know better") is inexcusable.

If you don't have the time, don't do the crime. Simple as that.

Bingo.

This is the tip of the iceberg in terms of the problem that exists with people thinking it is their God-given right to be completely inebriated at every game they attend. They screw the experience up for everyone, generally being unpleasent to be around and terrible to have sitting near you when you've got a little kid at the game.

I'm all for throwing the book at anyone who gets out of control drunk at a sporting event and then commits a crime -- be it getting behind the wheel afterwards or starting a fight in the crowd or whatever. I applaud Joe Deters for taking a strong stance and sending a message to people that there is an expectaiton of responsible behavior at sporting events and that you shouldn't have to deal with people who have no self control and ruin the experience for everyone else.

It's one of the oldest phrases out there: "Know thyself." Know your limit, and don't force your drunken stupor on everyone else.

Unassisted
11-22-2005, 07:27 PM
I seem to recall that there have been other instances of people running on the field during NFL games who ended up getting tackled by a linebacker or some other speedy, beefy guy. Is that no longer allowed?

You go on the field as a fan, you might well get slammed to the turf by a big guy in pads and a helmet. Seems like a bit of gladiator justice would be a muy effective deterrent!

Chip R
11-22-2005, 07:44 PM
I seem to recall that there have been other instances of people running on the field during NFL games who ended up getting tackled by a linebacker or some other speedy, beefy guy. Is that no longer allowed?

You go on the field as a fan, you might well get slammed to the turf by a big guy in pads and a helmet. Seems like a bit of gladiator justice would be a muy effective deterrent!

I would think it is allowed. I thought I saw some guy in Canada nail a fan who came out on the field a couple of years ago. Really nailed the guy too.

It may be but when you are drunk, you aren't thinking about jail or community service or a fine or getting hit by a player. Not that that excuses someone from doing that though.

I don't believe anyone thinks this person should go unpunished. What the issue is is what kind of punishment does he deserve for trespassing. Now if he went on the field and started beating up a ref, that's another thing all together.

GAC
11-22-2005, 08:12 PM
I'm not saying the guy who ran out on the field is blameless but security there was the bigger culprit. It's their job to keep that from happening and not stand around watching the ball game.

There is not enough security in the world to police/control 50,000 fans. Especially if one intoxicated fan wants to jump the wall and do something stupid. Nearly impossible.

I think the guy should serve some jail time. Not excessive, where he loses his job (if he has one), but on weekends. Also community service is a good idea.

Steve4192
11-22-2005, 09:47 PM
Mandatory jail time for trespassing at a football game is overkill. For that matter, mandatory jail time for ANY non-violent offense is just silly. The penal system is already well-over capacity because of ill-advised manadatory sentencing laws for drug related offenses. The last thing we need to do is add 'interrupting a football game' to the list of crimes requiring mandatory jail time.

This is nothing more than Deters trying to get his name in the papers. I sure am glad my county prosectutor is spending his time getting tough on this guy. Lord knows, this scofflaw is one of the more important cases in the county and really requires the attention of the county prosecutor. This case is far too important to delegate to an underling.

Hey Joe, how about you concentrate on doing your job rather than grandstanding over an issue that is meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

savafan
11-23-2005, 01:11 AM
Mandatory jail time for trespassing at a football game is overkill. For that matter, mandatory jail time for ANY non-violent offense is just silly.

:clap:

At least Mr. Gall can someday tell his grandkids that he once saw hall of fame quarterback Brett Favre throw six interceptions in a single game, and he got one of them.

Caveat Emperor
11-23-2005, 01:31 AM
This is nothing more than Deters trying to get his name in the papers. I sure am glad my county prosectutor is spending his time getting tough on this guy. Lord knows, this scofflaw is one of the more important cases in the county and really requires the attention of the county prosecutor. This case is far too important to delegate to an underling.

Hey Joe, how about you concentrate on doing your job rather than grandstanding over an issue that is meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

This pretty much is the Hamilton County prosecutor's job -- he picks and chooses cases to get involved with and argue in favor of policy/legal changes. He's the face of the office.

It's the other 150-some attorneys who do most of the day-to-day work of prosecution.

RedsBaron
11-23-2005, 06:46 AM
While community service might may appropriate, 30 days of jail time sounds fine to me as well. Let him serve it on weekends if necessary to let him keep his job. This "fan" disrupted the game in a non-violent way, but the too frequent episodes of violence between fans and players and officials in my opinion make it necessary to absolutely keep fans off the field of play.
Actually I have long thought that certain non-violent crimes arguably should be punished by a return to a more primitive form of punishment---the stocks. I would have a guard watching the convict to make certain no physical harm came to him, but I'd think that one day of humiliation in the public stocks, with people watching the idiot who ran onto the field, might deter repeat offenders.

Steve4192
11-23-2005, 08:22 AM
This pretty much is the Hamilton County prosecutor's job -- he picks and chooses cases to get involved with and argue in favor of policy/legal changes. He's the face of the office.
Exactly my point.

Why is the 'face of the office' getting involved in a glorified trespassing case? Surely there are more important cases for him to concentrate on. Does he really believe that 'football interuptus' is a major threat to the safety of the citizens of Hamilton county. If not, why isn't he spending his time working towards policies that WILL enhance the safety of the population?

Chip R
11-23-2005, 09:20 AM
There is not enough security in the world to police/control 50,000 fans. Especially if one intoxicated fan wants to jump the wall and do something stupid. Nearly impossible.

I think the guy should serve some jail time. Not excessive, where he loses his job (if he has one), but on weekends. Also community service is a good idea.

No there isn't. But 50,000 fans aren't running on to the field at the same time. I'd say there's a pretty good chance that a good security force can stop one intoxicated fan from doing something dumb like that. I'm quite sure it happens all the time but we don't see/read about it because security nailed the guy before he got on the field.

Jail time for that? What's next, the death penalty for OWI? You'd give this guy jail time and community service for tresspassing? Would you give someone jail time and community service for hunting on someone else's land without permission?

Unassisted
11-23-2005, 10:52 AM
http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/news/state/13242332.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp

Fan gets probation for taking football

Associated Press

CINCINNATI - The fan who ran onto the field during a Bengals game and took the football from Green Bay quarterback Brett Favre pleaded guilty Wednesday to charges of trespassing and disorderly conduct and was placed on probation.

Hamilton County Municipal Judge David Stockdale sentenced Greg Gall, 31, of Cincinnati, to 15 months' probation and 230 hours of community service. While on probation, he is banned from Paul Brown Stadium and the Reds' Great American Ball Park. He also was fined $200.

Gall interrupted the final minute of Cincinnati's 21-14 victory over the Green Bay on Oct. 30 when he took the ball from Favre as the Packers were trying to tie the game.

Prosecutors asked for jail time.

"An example needs to be set and a message sent here," assistant Prosecutor Debbie Casey told the court. County Prosecutor Joe Deters wrote to Stockdale urging a jail sentence to deter "stupid acts like this."

Gall's attorney, Scott Rubenstein, told the judge that Gall has suffered embarrassment and that his job is in jeopardy.

"It's been a humiliating experience for him," Rubenstein said.

Stockdale said he didn't want to use jail space on Gall, but admonished him: "Usually these kinds of antics are the province of 18- and 19-year-olds. You're 31."

The judge also suggested that Gall might need alcohol counseling during his probation.

Gall spoke in court only to agree that he understood his plea that resulted in a charge of resisting arrest being dropped. He declined comment afterward.