PDA

View Full Version : Nancy Kerrigan attacker asks judge to clear record so he can become a Navy SEAL

savafan
12-02-2005, 11:30 PM
http://www.10tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4193735&nav=LUESMuat

PORTLAND, Ore. He wants to join the Navy SEALs. But an episode from his past is standing in the way. It's that time he whacked Nancy Kerrigan in the knee.
Shane Stant is the man convicted of carrying out that attack on the Olympic ice-skater in 1994 in a conspiracy that also involved skating rival Tonya Harding and her ex-husband. It took place as Harding sought the U-S figure-skating title and a spot on the 1994 Winter Olympics team.

The SEALs won't take anyone with a felony conviction. So Stant asked an Oregon judge to expunge his record. The judge refused.

In a letter prosecutors gave the judge, Kerrigan wrote that granting Stant's request would signal "that such a crime can ultimately be swept under the rug."

Stant served 14 months in prison. Harding's ex-husband Jeff Gillooly and two other men also went to jail. Harding served probation.

RedsBaron
12-03-2005, 06:27 AM
Just think about how this harms our nation's security. The next time we need an experienced Navy Seal fully trained to take out an terrorist figure skater in the Middle East, we won't be able to use Stant for the job, someone who would be ready, willing and able. ;)

ochre
12-03-2005, 08:50 AM
Just think about how this harms our nation's security. The next time we need an experienced Navy Seal fully trained to take out an terrorist figure skater in the Middle East, we won't be able to use Stant for the job, someone who would be ready, willing and able. ;)
I hear the middle east skate team is stacked for the next olympics.

Redsland
12-03-2005, 11:48 AM
Not well reported outside military communities is the fact that every year or so, a SEAL or other special forces operative goes berserk and kills his girlfriend, roommate, a fellow SEAL, or some combination thereof.

It is not in the nation's best interest to train people who are known to be off-kilter about the 50 ways to kill people with their pinky finger.

BoydsOfSummer
12-03-2005, 05:11 PM
Let him check for proof of insurance at vehicle check-points in Iraq.

Chip R
12-03-2005, 05:43 PM
I'm all for second chances so if we ever need a SEAL to whack someone across the leg with a crowbar, I'm all for letting him in. ;)

REDREAD
12-05-2005, 10:58 AM
Isn't he a little old to be entering the SEALs? I know they've relaxed the age limits a bit with IRAQ, but unless he was only 18 when he whacked Nancy, surely he's over 30 by now.