PDA

View Full Version : Bengals Draft Thread

WMR
12-05-2005, 07:33 AM
It's never too early to start talking about the Draft!!! ;)

I say our 1st round pick should be either a DT or SS, whichever one is the best. Whichever one of those you don't take in 1st, that's what you take in 2nd.

3rd: Tightend; I saw a boy from USC, looked AWESOME! Anybody got any info on him? Any other top-flite TE's who will be draft-eligible?

4th: I say take another Defensive lineman, a DE. There should be some quality available at this point. (maybe switch picks 3 & 4 depending on personnell available A BEAST)

After that, I say draft Safeties further to be back-ups and special teamers. No offense to this current bunch of safeties but they needs ta go.

Obviously, if a superstar playing outside these positions falls in our laps at some point, you throw the list out the window and take them but this draft, as I envision, would definitely help solidify the areas that need the most help.

Jaycint
12-05-2005, 10:32 AM
I'm thinking we mosty likely pick from 25-32 in the upcoming draft so I'll use that as a frame to work in.

I think Haloti Ngata out of Oregon would be a great pickup at DT and he should be available around our pick. In my dream scenario Gabe Watson out of Michigan gets to us but I fully expect him to be gone by the time we make our first pick.

If they decide to go Safety with the first pick I would target a guy like Michael Huff out of Texas or Darnell Bing if he slides some.

After the first round I wouldn't even want to speculate on actual names but I agree with Wilymorocks that a DT and Safety should be our 1 and 2 picks.

Yachtzee
12-05-2005, 10:34 AM
I don't like to try to guess who the Bengals are going to pick. I don't know enough about the college players to make a reasonable guess. Lately, I look at Draft Day for the Bengals almost like Christmas. I don't know who they're going to get, but with Marvin in charge, I'm confident they'll get someone good.

Boss-Hog
12-05-2005, 10:36 AM
Marvin's MO is best player available (which I agree with), so you never know which position they'll take (who would have thought they'd take a RB in the first round in 2004?). However, I agree with WilyMo - defensive line help (particularly DT) and a strong safety are our most glaring needs. IF, and only if, there's no one at either of those positions that's available with our first round pick, I'd look at tight ends, as this is a good year to draft one.

ochre
12-05-2005, 10:41 AM
I don't like first round tight ends. That's a tough position to forcast accurately I think. I'm not unhappy with the TEs they have.

I agree best player available is the way to go. The Cowboy's demise in the '80s was largely founded in drafting to needs. Having said that, there's nothing that says they can't take "best defender" available... :)

OnBaseMachine
12-05-2005, 10:53 AM
WilyMo, the TE you are referring to from USC is probably Fred Davis. He is an absolute beast, but is only a sophomore. He still has another two years of college. But Vernon Davis(Maryland), Leonard Pope(Georgia), and Marcades Lewis(UCLA) are first round talents at TE. Domonique Byrd, another TE from USC could be available in the 3rd or 4th round. He has big talent but has had health problems in the past.

Being a huge fan of the Pac-10, I have seen a lot of Oregon games this year and can tell you that Haloti Ngata would be a great pick for the Bengals. Dude is huge, fast for his size, and athletic for a big man.

LoganBuck
12-05-2005, 01:01 PM
He is talking about Dominique Byrd. Davis doesn't get too many looks yet. Should be a good value pick at TE in the second round. Probably 6 or 7 nice tight ends this year.

Watch for Greg Blue SS out of Georgia as a 3-4 round kind of guy. Marvin loves Georgia. Blue is good in run support, and plays physical, I am not completely sold on his pass coverage, but the Bengals will get Madieu back next year.

Gotta go DT in the first round. Roderick Wright, Gabe Watson, and Samoan guy from Tennesee look like good pickups for value late in the first round.

I like Mike Kudla DE from OSU as a 3 rounder as well. I think he easily replaces Justin Smith and saves a whole lot on the salary cap.

I hope they pick up a mobile guard somewhere in the 4-6 round. They need to prepare for some hard decisions on the OL following next season. Gotta keep the tackles and Steinbach, Braham will retire and they already have candidates to replace him. I would feel alot more comfortable, with a seasoned guard going into 2007.

Wouldn't mind seeing a punter like Steve Weatherford from Illinois in the 6-7 round, but only if he can kickoff deep. The Bengals allow way to much kickoff return yardage.

WVRed
12-05-2005, 02:01 PM
Im hoping Marcedes Lewis is there when we pick. If not, Jesse Malholem(DT) from Tennessee would be my pick.

Joseph
12-05-2005, 05:05 PM
I refuse to think about the draft until I see the end of the season. Sometimes that occurs in November, but not this year. Now I have to wait until the playoffs. :)

Hoosier Red
12-05-2005, 05:56 PM
I still fight the urge to hate Bengals' draft picks. It is a conditioned response from watching Freddie Childress, Dan Wilkinson, Ki-Jana Carter, Reinard Wilson, Melvin Tuten, et al grace the field for the better part of 15 years.

Every time I see Terrance Newman make a big play I wince, remembering I wanted the Bengals to draft him......
Then I remember, they picked Carson instead. I guess I can deal with getting the best quarterback for the next 10 years.

ochre
12-05-2005, 07:35 PM
I still fight the urge to hate Bengals' draft picks. It is a conditioned response from watching Freddie Childress, Dan Wilkinson, Ki-Jana Carter, Reinard Wilson, Melvin Tuten, et al grace the field for the better part of 15 years.

Every time I see Terrance Newman make a big play I wince, remembering I wanted the Bengals to draft him......
Then I remember, they picked Carson instead. I guess I can deal with getting the best quarterback for the next 10 years.
Divert your attention to the Champ Bailey/Akili Smith synergy. You know, the one where they could have traded down a couple of picks for the saints entire draft and still gotten either Smith anyway, or Bailey.

That should cover up your good feelings from watching Palmer flourish :)

StillFunkyB
12-05-2005, 07:55 PM
I know the Bengals are loaded at LB, but if there was someway to get A.J. Hawk.....

GAC
12-05-2005, 08:01 PM
Best player avaliable on DEFENSE.

LincolnparkRed
12-06-2005, 11:45 AM
A question before I post my draft needs. How long is medeiu williams out for. He was a beast vs. the bears but I know he is now injured. I think the Bengals most glaring need is DE, they did not get much pressure until late in the game last Sunday.

paintmered
12-06-2005, 12:47 PM
A question before I post my draft needs. How long is medeiu williams out for. He was a beast vs. the bears but I know he is now injured. I think the Bengals most glaring need is DE, they did not get much pressure until late in the game last Sunday.

He was placed on the IR list. He is out for the remainder of this season and postseason. He should be ready to for next season though.

OnBaseMachine
01-27-2006, 07:54 AM
He is talking about Dominique Byrd. Davis doesn't get too many looks yet. Should be a good value pick at TE in the second round. Probably 6 or 7 nice tight ends this year.

Mel Kiper Jr. is now saying that Byrd has moved into the first round after having a great week of combine practices.

Tony Cloninger
01-27-2006, 10:01 AM
I guess you could do this with every team.....BUT

In 1971 the Bengals could have had LB Jack Ham and OT Dan Dierdorf.

They instead drafted T Vernon Holland in the 1st and some guy named Lawson in the 2nd.

In 1979 they had 2 1st rnd picks.... they took Charles Alexander at RB before Ottis Anderson. Then they took Jack Thompson when they could have had Kellen Winslow..... despite the fact they needed a TE. They drafted Dan Ross in the 2nd beacuse they thought he had better hands.

To add insult to injury........ Joe Montana was taken in the 3rd round....so there was your QB.

The Bengals liked The throwing Samoan beacuse he had a nice arm (but very erratic) and he had good workouts (a bad bengal trait in the 90's....always reaching beacuse of good workouts.)

ochre
01-27-2006, 10:43 AM
Dan Ross was pretty good. Not Kellen Winslow good, but pretty good.

Tony Cloninger
01-27-2006, 11:06 AM
I agree....although he seemed to burn out quick... i think before 1983 season he signed future contract with USFL and his production dropped off.

I just think with Infante's offensive scheme... Winslow would have been more productive with Cincy than Ross was.

WMR
01-28-2006, 07:43 PM
Anyone see any players in the Senior Bowl that might end up/you'd like to see end up as Bengals considering our needs and pick position?