PDA

View Full Version : McCoy: Reds considering Kevin Millwood, but DanO gunshy on free agents

savafan
12-05-2005, 10:11 AM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/1205reds.html

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

DALLAS | There is no Eliot Ness on the 40-man Cincinnati Reds roster, no Untouchables.

General manager Dan O'Brien, not interested in trading any of his outfielders last July at the trade deadline, is now ready, willing and able to not only trade an outfielder or two, but anybody on the roster.

The price is pitching.

That's what O'Brien was looking for last December at the winter meetings in Anaheim and that's what he is looking for this year at the winter meetings that begin today in Dallas.

O'Brien was not able to land anything at the meetings last year, but used shovels, hoes and rakes to lay the groundwork for several transactions shortly after the meetings.

He traded for pitcher Ramon Ortiz. He signed pitchers Eric Milton, Kent Mercker, David Weathers and Ben Weber. He signed infielders Joe Randa and Rich Aurilia.

Only Milton, Weathers and Mercker remain and Milton, so far, is a $22.3 million bust. Randa was traded last July, Aurilia is a free agent and both Ortiz and Weber were let go.

O'Brien realizes he must do better this year so he will not place any of his players on a shelf and say, "Do not touch." That means Ken Griffey Jr. That means Sean Casey. That means Adam Dunn. That means anybody and everybody.

"We have several individuals we would prefer not to trade, but in our situation we have to keep an open mind. We need pitching and we cannot progress if we have untouchables," said O'Brien.

"Basically, we have been given permission to move forward on all fronts to improve our club," he said.

There are barriers, though.

O'Brien said the payroll will remain at the $60 million level. And there are eight important players eligible for salary arbitration, eight players due hefty raises — outfielders Adam Dunn, Austin Kearns and Wily Mo Pena, catchers Jason LaRue and Javier Valentin, infielders Felipe Lopez and Ryan Freel and pitcher Aaron Harang.

"We have included all our arbitration players in our payroll projection and are prepared to have them all on the ball club," O'Brien said.

That, though, would be at what the club feels each player is worth.

Players might have a higher opinion of their value and an arbitration panel could agree with them. That doesn't leave much cash for free agents, but O'Brien is nonplussed.

"We are involved in some free agent conversations, but it is a lean market and we have to be selective," he said.

O'Brien said the large contracts signed by relief pitchers Billy Wagner (Philadelphia to the New York Mets) and B.J. Ryan (Baltimore to Toronto) has a trickle down effect, pushing the cost for relief pitching to an all-time high.

So trades are more likely.

"There is a tremendous amount of interest in our position players and the our focal point on trading them would be on the pitching that would come our way," O'Brien said.

On The Most Likely To Go List, place outfielders Pena and Kearns at the top. But there could be others, if O'Brien believes Griffey or Dunn or Casey or anybody else will bring over-the-top pitching.

For example, Oakland is willing to trade Barry Zito for a power-hitting outfielder. Dunn? Kearns? Kearns and Pena?

Griffey, as a 10-and-5 player, must give his permission for a trade.

The club is talking about Cleveland free-agent pitcher Kevin Millwood, but so are richer teams and O'Brien is a bit gun shy after his marquee free agent signing last year.

Milton, was 8-15 with a 6.47 ERA (highest in club history for a starter with more than 30 starts) and gave up the most runs (141), most earned runs (134) and most home runs (40) in the National League.

"We just can't focus on alleviating our outfield surplus," O'Brien added. "There are a number of different scenarios available to us. We are looking at our best opportunities that will give us the best returns. We don't want to foreclose on any situation that might come up. We have to be flexible to improve our pitching."

traderumor
12-05-2005, 10:17 AM
"We just can't focus on alleviating our outfield surplus," O'Brien added. "There are a number of different scenarios available to us. We are looking at our best opportunities that will give us the best returns. We don't want to foreclose on any situation that might come up. We have to be flexible to improve our pitching."

For those who have given up on an O'Brien quotes, here's the executive summary.

We sucked pretty bad last year and need a lot of help. We only have one extra outfielder, and no one of them is likely to provide all the help our pitching staff needs.

buckeyenut
12-05-2005, 10:28 AM
Millwood is I believe the right guy to be targeting this offseason if you can't get Burnett. I understand OB being gunshy, but people make mistakes. Gotta get over it and move on.

traderumor
12-05-2005, 10:45 AM
Unless Millwood just didn't like his summer in Cleveland, which is certainly understandable ;) , why would the Indians give the kind of coin they did to Paul Byrd when they probably could have gotten Millwood for similar money? Of course, the price had to have just gone up for Millwood with the signings so far.

flyer85
12-05-2005, 11:05 AM
Millwood is I believe the right guy to be targeting this offseason if you can't get Burnett. I understand OB being gunshy, but people make mistakes. Gotta get over it and move on.Millwood was the right guy to be targeting ... last off-season. This year the market is absurd, the Reds need to sit the out the FA market until it loses it steam. There may be some better prices in the January/February time frame

GoReds
12-05-2005, 11:24 AM
For example, Oakland is willing to trade Barry Zito for a power-hitting outfielder. Dunn? Kearns? Kearns and Pena?

Interesting tidbit there. Per Lee Sinins...

According to the LA Daily News, the Dodgers and A's are talking about a Milton Bradley for Barry Zito trade.

I don't see why a Kearns trade wouldn't work here.

Puffy
12-05-2005, 11:38 AM
Millwood was the right guy to be targeting ... last off-season. This year the market is absurd, the Reds need to sit the out the FA market until it loses it steam. There may be some better prices in the January/February time frame

What he said.

I like Millwood, and wanted the Reds to go after him last year. But with the season he had last year (not to mention he lead the AL in ERA but didn't win a lot of games - Dan O will rightfully assume this means Millwood doesn't "know" how to win - and yes, this is sarcasm here) he is going to command some serious coin right now. If the Reds can wait it out and can get him for a reasonable amount in late Jan/early Feb thats what they need to do.

Johnny Footstool
12-05-2005, 11:57 AM
No harm in targeting him. Find out his price tag, then make a decision.

Strikes Out Looking
12-05-2005, 12:46 PM
If he is gun shy because of the Milton debacle of '05 then he should just quit. End of story.

OldRightHander
12-05-2005, 01:43 PM
According to the LA Daily News, the Dodgers and A's are talking about a Milton Bradley for Barry Zito trade.

I have some Milton Bradley games at home. I'd be willing to part with them for a starting pitcher.

Johnny Footstool
12-05-2005, 03:19 PM
I have some Milton Bradley games at home. I'd be willing to part with them for a starting pitcher.

Trouble.

Ravenlord
12-05-2005, 03:36 PM
Millwood had to "prove" himself last year after coming off several avareage years. now he's the reigning AL ERA champ. Scott Boras is his agent. i would be shocked to see Millwood get less than $10,000,000 a year.

Big Donkey
12-05-2005, 04:18 PM
Millwood's gonna make a ton, but he, along with Jeff Weaver, are playing the waiting game on AJ Burnett. Matt Morris may be the only upper-level free agent pitcher in this class who will sign regardless of when Burnett does. The good news on Millwood is there is a surprisingly low amount of serious interest in him at the moment, and the teams most interested aren't necessarily playoff contenders from a year ago. It's SEA, DET, BAL, and SF I believe most interested in him, with CIN and KC even making a case for him. That will change soon, the other teams will likely come calling. Just my opinion.

flyer85
12-05-2005, 04:39 PM
No harm in targeting him. Find out his price tag, then make a decision.Boras is asking for a 5 year deal ... NEXT.

The_jbh
12-05-2005, 05:00 PM
i'll pass on a 5 year deal on a pitcher... especially one with a history of arm problems. Maybe 3 years... he misses bats and is pretty good about the long ball....

oh wait? he doesnt pitch to contact? not a DanO guy

Redsland
12-05-2005, 05:11 PM
IIRC, pitchers' contracts can only be insured for three years. If that's still the case, then few teams can afford to be on the hook for years four and five, should something go wrong.

StillFunkyB
12-05-2005, 08:23 PM
I don't even like 3 years with his history.

If they could get him for one or two years at the most, then maybe. I doubt that happens. Someone will offer a longer contract.

toledodan
12-06-2005, 01:08 AM
best case senerio is we trade casey and sign dunn long term. most likely senerio is we lose dunn and give casey another contract.:angry:

flyer85
12-06-2005, 10:34 AM
from rotoworld

The Tacoma News Tribune is also reporting that the Mariners have offered Kevin Millwood $44 million over four years and says the two sides could be close to a deal.

Johnny Footstool
12-06-2005, 10:37 AM
Well, that takes care of that.

flyer85
12-06-2005, 10:39 AM
Well, that takes care of that.there never was a chance of "that". And with good reason.

Johnny Footstool
12-06-2005, 12:06 PM
I would at least have offered Millwood the same money Byrd got. The worst he could do is turn you down.

flyer85
12-06-2005, 12:08 PM
I would at least have offered Millwood the same money Byrd got. The worst he could do is turn you down.Boros would have laughed the Reds out of the room. He probably does that anyway. Whenever you are dealing with Boros you know the sole purpose of the player is to sign for the highest dollar amount possible.

Johnny Footstool
12-06-2005, 12:14 PM
Fair enough.

But that shouldn't stop you from making an offer.

larryboy
12-06-2005, 01:01 PM
Mariners and Millwood came closer this morning to a deal. They submitted the high offer by a decent amount this morning. Its in Millwood's court and the M's hope to get it done by next week. Time will tell. DanO needs to get active in the trade market because that may be the Reds best chance to improve.

Raisor
12-06-2005, 02:39 PM
Mariners and Millwood came closer this morning to a deal. They submitted the high offer by a decent amount this morning. Its in Millwood's court and the M's hope to get it done by next week. .

Millwood in Safeco.

My Mariners blood just started tingling.

Puffy
12-06-2005, 03:41 PM
Millwood in Safeco.

My Mariners blood just started tingling.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/916060/raisor.jpg

buckeyenut
12-06-2005, 07:09 PM
IF the price is 4 /44M, perfectly fine with falling short on that one.

Red Leader
12-07-2005, 11:07 AM
The Mariners have a deal on the table for 4 yrs / $44 million. If we go over that, this organization is screwed for a long, long

flyer85
12-07-2005, 11:08 AM
Millwood is an arm injury waiting to happen and a team will be very lucky to get two decent years out of four. The Reds would be better served signing some guys with upside to a 1 year deals and if they pitch well then flip them at the deadline. Guys that fit the profile are Armas, Ponson, etc.

Signing free agent starters to high priced deals is nothing but fools gold for a small market team.

registerthis
12-07-2005, 11:17 AM
Sure, the M's might get Millwood...but the REDS might get Gil Meche, and will be laughing all the way to 5th place.

BTW, does anyone think that last year DanO actually meant to sign MILLWOOD and not MILTON, and just figured that if the names were close, the quality was probably close as well?

Just a thought...

flyer85
12-07-2005, 11:24 AM
and will be laughing all the way to 5th place.I think it is a fait accompli at this point. There really isn't much the Reds can do about it other than hope they are extremely lucky in 2006..

paintmered
12-07-2005, 11:27 AM
There really isn't much the Reds can do about it other than hope they are extremely lucky in 2006..

Hasn't that been the plan for the last few years?

flyer85
12-07-2005, 11:42 AM
Hasn't that been the plan for the last few years?Yep. They certainly haven't been building for the future. Instead each season is simply a one year plan to squeeze out as many wins as possible without any real thought or action to building a winner.

paulrichjr
12-07-2005, 11:43 AM
Well, that takes care of that.

$44 million??? Are we playing with Monopoly money?