PDA

View Full Version : Did Chad Bite Off More Than He Can Chew?

redsfan30
12-05-2005, 07:36 PM
Monday, December 5, 2005
Johnson: We'll play Indy again ... and win

Enquirer staff reports

Chad Johnson said Monday he thinks the Bengals and Indianapolis will meet in the AFC Championship game, and that this time, the outcome will be different.

Asked about the Bengals defense by ESPN’s Dan Patrick, Johnson said he expects that unit to carry the Bengals to the Super Bowl.

“They’re going to carry us,” Johnson told Patrick. “They’re going to carry us, because we’re going to put up the points … we’re going to score 40 a game from here on out. We’re going to score 40 a game from here on out, and there is not another team that is going to shoot it out with us until we get to the AFC Championship game, and you already know who we’re going to be playing.”

Patrick responded: “You’re playing the Colts in Indy.”

“In Indy,” Johnson said. “And the second go-round, I guarantee we win.”

Johnson later told Patrick he had a feeling after the Bengals lost to the Colts 45-37 on Nov. 20 that the teams would meet again.

“That game (an AFC title game against the Colts) is going to be a shootout,” Johnson said.

“In order to beat em, we’re going to have to put up 40, if we want to be realistic about it. We will see Indianapolis again. I felt that way when we lost the first time … I could feel it: We’re going to have to play them again. And I think this next time I’m saying it’s going to be a better outcome in our favor.”

In the interview, Johnson also said he would vote for quarterback Carson Palmer as the NFL’s Most Valuable Player.

“I’d give it to Carson,” Johnson said. “To take this team from the bottom to the top, to where we are right now… it’s only his second year, and to have us in the position we’re in right now as our leader, I’d give it to Carson.”
While I agree that it's going to be tough to stop the Bengals offense come playoff time, should he have said this? It's one thing to guarentee a victory against Houston in the regular season but to guarentee a trip to the Super Bowl? He's really going out on a limb here.

Believe me, I sure as heck hope he's right. But I'm alittle on the fence as to these comments.

ochre
12-05-2005, 07:41 PM
Let him have the attention. He wants to be the one that takes all the heat. In his own way, that's leadership. Not that I would do it, or even really agree with that type of behavior. He's seen what happens when he doesn't back his mouth up (Jacksonville), so he knows the consequences. I suppose where it will be decided, is how the Defense reacts. Of course, its a no lose situation for Johnson. Nobody really expects the Bengals to go far in the playoffs anyway. If they make it to the AFC finals I doubt anyone will mind too much one way or the other.

KronoRed
12-05-2005, 07:41 PM
The bengals won't win a shoot out with the colts, Chad better find a D for his team first ;)

StillFunkyB
12-05-2005, 07:49 PM
At this point, I have no beef with what Chad Johnson says or does.

If he wants to put the heat on himself, that is fine with me, so long as he himself doesn't lose focus, or even worse cause a major distraction.

GAC
12-05-2005, 07:59 PM
He said no one would stop him this past Sunday too. 5 receptions for 54 yds is not exactly tearing it up.

I think he's a manic depressive who simply likes the attention. ;)

But when you look at their remaining schedule, saying they are going to score 40 pts a game doesn't take a Nostradamus to make that prediction.

But when it comes to facing Indy - saying what he said is simply locker room fodder for the other team. I'm sure Indy is amused with the likes of a Chad Johnson.

I hope his prediction comes true. I would love to see Cincy in the Super Bowl, while also seeing Indy faulter. Anything is possible.

But I'm also a realist.... and Cincy's defense is atrocious. And in a shootout with Indy, my money is on Manning over Palmer. That is not a knock on Carson. Its just that he not at the level of a Manning just yet.

Caveat Emperor
12-05-2005, 08:43 PM
But when it comes to facing Indy - saying what he said is simply locker room fodder for the other team. I'm sure Indy is amused with the likes of a Chad Johnson.

I stand by whatever coach it was that first said "If a player needs a quote on the bulletin board to get them fired up, they don't have a place on this team."

OldRightHander
12-05-2005, 09:28 PM
Chad runs off at the mouth, the other team double teams him all day to shut him down, and Housh has single coverage all day long. I'll take that.

wheels
12-05-2005, 09:29 PM
I think Chad understands that more attention he draws, the more it helps the other recievers.

It's actually a pretty good ploy.

OldRightHander
12-05-2005, 09:37 PM
I think Chad understands that more attention he draws, the more it helps the other recievers.

It's actually a pretty good ploy.

Honestly, I don't think he thinks that much about it. He's having his fun and hamming it up on the big stage. If it works out that way, though, that's not a bad thing.

Cedric
12-05-2005, 09:54 PM
He said no one would stop him this past Sunday too. 5 receptions for 54 yds is not exactly tearing it up.

I think he's a manic depressive who simply likes the attention. ;)

But when you look at their remaining schedule, saying they are going to score 40 pts a game doesn't take a Nostradamus to make that prediction.

I hope his prediction comes true. I would love to see Cincy in the Super Bowl, while also seeing Indy faulter. Anything is possible.

But I'm also a realist.... and Cincy's defense is atrocious. And in a shootout with Indy, my money is on Manning over Palmer. That is not a knock on Carson. Its just that he not at the level of a Manning just yet.

Why? Same numbers and at least Carson has won a big game in his life. Peyton is not a better qb than Carson Palmer.

Caveat Emperor
12-05-2005, 10:14 PM
Why? Same numbers and at least Carson has won a big game in his life. Peyton is not a better qb than Carson Palmer.

Carson Palmer is a good quarterback -- improving weekly. Peyton Manning is on another planet.

Manning does more each week on the field than any other QB. He reads defenses better, he adjusts plays at the line better, and he makes smarter decisions with the ball. The way he moves an offense up and down the field, calling out routes, shifting pass protections, audibling away from plays based on what he reads the defense as doing...it's all a thing of beauty to watch.

I don't see nearly the same level of refinement and sophistication in the way Palmer runs the Bengals offense. Maybe he gets there someday, but he is definately not there yet.

Cedric
12-05-2005, 10:29 PM
It's all bogus honestly. They score because of his great line, his great play, his great running back, and his great WR's. Just ask Belichik or Marvin what his hand signals mean, they both say they are bogus. He relies on young defenses to get out of position because of his gestures and it's very smart. Carson is far and away above where Peyton was three years into the league and he has better numbers this year against a much better schedule. Arguing that either one is above the other is really sorta stupid anyway, they both are amazing.

Look at their stats this year and the schedules they have both played, then compare Carson and Peyton. If Peyton wins the arguement because of hand gestures than so be it.

Peyton and the Colts have had possibly the easiest schedule I could ever remember. Add in the misery of the pass defenses of the squads they have played and it's even more clear. The ONE good defense he went against (Jacksonville) he went 13-28 with no touchdowns and one interception at HOME. Carson went 22-33 with two touchdowns and no interceptions @ Jacksonville.

Fil3232
12-05-2005, 11:42 PM
Carson Palmer is a good quarterback -- improving weekly. Peyton Manning is on another planet.

Manning does more each week on the field than any other QB. He reads defenses better, he adjusts plays at the line better, and he makes smarter decisions with the ball. The way he moves an offense up and down the field, calling out routes, shifting pass protections, audibling away from plays based on what he reads the defense as doing...it's all a thing of beauty to watch.

I don't see nearly the same level of refinement and sophistication in the way Palmer runs the Bengals offense. Maybe he gets there someday, but he is definately not there yet.

I got to agree with Cedric. I'm not sure you can clearly put Peyton above Palmer. In fact, if I'm starting a franchise I would take Palmer #1 without hesitation. He's got special written all over him.

Cedric
12-05-2005, 11:50 PM
I love Peyton Manning and he's obviously a hall of fame type qb. But his game management at crucial times is lacking for the truly special qb's. Would Tom Brady in a million years audible to three running plays with 3:00 left in that Cincy game? Peyton does that in big games because sometimes he doesn't seem to realize the total big picture.

Johnny Footstool
12-06-2005, 10:10 AM
Chad runs off at the mouth, the other team double teams him all day to shut him down, and Housh has single coverage all day long. I'll take that.

Exactly. Single coverage for TJ and Chris Henry, plus the safeties don't cheat up to stop the run.

Steve4192
12-06-2005, 10:25 AM
Did you see the coverages the Steelers were using?

Chad and his gigantic pie-hole were a major reason why Chris Henry, TJ Houshmandzadeh, and Reggie Kelly were open. Pittsburgh was rolling their coverage Chad's way all day long and Carson burned 'em repeatedly by going the other way. That's the major reason we didn't hear Troy Polamalu's name called until the 4th quarter.

As Marvin would say ... Chad did his job.

OldRightHander
12-06-2005, 10:33 AM
That's the major reason we didn't hear Troy Polamalu's name called until the 4th quarter.

And one of the times we heard his name was when Rudi laid him out on the way into the end zone.

Tony Cloninger
12-06-2005, 11:47 AM
Chris Henry...IMO....has Randy Moss type ability.....hopefully without some of the attitude....although RM is not nearly as bad as TO is.

WMR
12-06-2005, 12:25 PM
We are so lucky to have Carson Palmer. Look who we're comparing him to... Peyton Manning. Whether he's truly better yet or not, considering his age, unbelievably lofty company.

OldRightHander
12-06-2005, 12:34 PM
We are so lucky to have Carson Palmer. Look who we're comparing him to... Peyton Manning. Whether he's truly better yet or not, considering his age, unbelievably lofty company.

I know that you have to take anything heard on ESPN with a grain of salt, but hearing Palmer and multiple Super Bowl appearances mentioned together without any mention of him being traded did bring a smile to my face. We've been through so many bad seasons without any reason to hope that I find myself wanting to pinch myself to make sure this season isn't just some sort of dream that I'll wake up from only to find out that Akili is still the starting QB and we just won our 3rd game of the season.

Falls City Beer
12-06-2005, 01:05 PM
Cincinnati fans really do have something to cheer about; the now is great for the Bengals and the future definitely bright. With the Reds being just about the worst sports entertainment on earth right now, and a vanilla new ownership group on the horizon, it's important to relish the good stuff. I'm not a Bengals fan (not much of a football fan honestly), but I have really enjoyed watching this team. They are exciting.

westofyou
12-06-2005, 01:08 PM
With the Reds being just about the worst sports entertainment on earth right now, and a vanilla new ownership group on the horizon,Vanilla is major part of Graters Chocolate Chip Ice Cream. I myself like Vanilla, it's what you do with it that makes it good.

Curling and Slam Ball are way worse to watch than the Reds too.

paintmered
12-06-2005, 01:17 PM
Curling and Slam Ball are way worse to watch than teh Reds too.

Well, we got that going for us, which is nice.

2006 marketing slogan: "Reds baseball, way better than curling."

westofyou
12-06-2005, 01:20 PM
"Reds baseball, way better than curling."And it tastes like chicken too!

traderumor
12-06-2005, 01:46 PM
Roller Derby is making a comeback, not sure how that would stack up with slamball and curling

http://www.jsonline.com/news/metro/dec05/375077.asp

ochre
12-06-2005, 01:57 PM
Cincinnati fans really do have something to cheer about; the now is great for the Bengals and the future definitely bright. With the Reds being just about the worst sports entertainment on earth right now, and a vanilla new ownership group on the horizon, it's important to relish the good stuff. I'm not a Bengals fan (not much of a football fan honestly), but I have really enjoyed watching this team. They are exciting.Careful FCB. That's probably how they lured you into being a Reds fan. "look we have this exciting dynamic unstoppable franchise. gO rEDz!". You're going to end up a Bengals and Reds fan and let me tell you from personal experience, that is the road, while perhaps less traveled, that opens up into a festering dungheap of heartbreak and frustration.

Having said that, Go Bengals!

joeberk
12-06-2005, 03:56 PM
Peyton and the Colts have had possibly the easiest schedule I could ever remember. Add in the misery of the pass defenses of the squads they have played and it's even more clear. The ONE good defense he went against (Jacksonville) he went 13-28 with no touchdowns and one interception at HOME. Carson went 22-33 with two touchdowns and no interceptions @ Jacksonville.

Ravens? Steelers? They've got pretty good defenses.

What was the net result of that Bengals game against Jacksonville? Oh yeah, they lost. What's Herman Edwards always say - "You play to win the game"?

Peyton Manning used put up all kinds of gaudy numbers back when he had to score 40 every game to win because the Colts defense stunk. It was fun to watch but it they couldn't get to the Super Bowl doing that. Now that Manning has a defense that can contribute, he can take advantage of teams dropping eight and daring the Colts to run on them. Edgerrin James, in a contract year, has to be delighted with how things worked out.

Don't get me wrong - the Bengals are a good team right now, and if they keep that nucleus of offense together, eventually Marvin Lewis will turn the defense around, and Bengals fans will be celebrating a great team in a couple years. The Bengals remind me of where the Colts were in 2002 - which isn't a bad place to be.

IIRC when it comes to the schedule, it's relatively set based on performance the previous year - if you're a first place team, you play the other first place teams in your conference (Pittsburgh, New England, San Diego), a selected opposite conference (NFC West), and home/away against your own division. Second place teams get second place teams, etc.

For reference, the Bengals got the NFC North. While that's a tougher division now, the Bengals got Chicago and Minnesota early in the year before those teams got going, when the talk around the NFL was about how the NFC North looked to be the worst divison in the NFL.

The Colts have played all the AFC playoff contenders save Denver & Kansas City and they'll play the top team in the NFC in a few weeks. And the Colts played the entire AFC North and went 4-0 against them, also.

Cedric
12-06-2005, 03:59 PM
We were comparing qb's and their play, not comparing the Colts and Bengals. They played each other. Carson put up great numbers against arguably the top three defenses in the NFL, Peyton barely put up average numbers.

TeamSelig
12-06-2005, 04:14 PM
Palmer 68.7 PCT 3149 YDs 26 TD 7 INT
Manning 68.4 PCT 2966 YDs 25 TD 8 INT

How is Manning on a different planet? He had an insane year last year, but this year, Palmer has played better. Manning may be good at reading defenses, and things like that, but the stats don't lie. Palmer has played better - maybe not by alot, but still, he has played better.

TeamSelig
12-06-2005, 04:17 PM
For reference, the Bengals got the NFC North. While that's a tougher division now, the Bengals got Chicago and Minnesota early in the year before those teams got going, when the talk around the NFL was about how the NFC North looked to be the worst divison in the NFL.

Can't give credit to the Bengals for their slow start?

joeberk
12-06-2005, 04:24 PM
Manning threw 49 touchdowns last year so I would put forth he's still capable of putting up big numbers. He doesn't have to this year since he has a defense, so he doesn't have to score 40 every week to win. Carson Palmer has to try to score 40 every week since the Bengals D is the fifth-worse in the NFL, so he is out there chucking the ball around.

joeberk
12-06-2005, 04:30 PM
Can't give credit to the Bengals for their slow start?

If that was their only loss, sure. But considering the Bears lost to Cleveland the week after the Bengals game and Minnesota lost to Atlanta and barely beat Green Bay and started off 1-4 and Mike Tice was sure to be fired any day, ...

Both teams are rolling now but weren't early in the year IMO.

WMR
12-06-2005, 04:45 PM
Bengals would still roll up both those teams, IMO.

Bears play a physical defense, but, IMO, a team like the Bengals is tailor-made to score on them, esp. when combined with the fact that the Bengals D thrives on turnovers, which a rookie QB is very likely to make.

paintmered
12-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Bengals would still roll up both those teams, IMO.

Bears play a physical defense, but, IMO, a team like the Bengals is tailor-made to score on them, esp. when combined with the fact that the Bengals D thrives on turnovers, which a rookie QB is very likely to make.

Which is why they picked him off five times and blew them out in Soldier Field. :)

Matt700wlw
12-06-2005, 05:09 PM
I'm with Chad. I want another shot at Indy.

The Bengals can beat the Colts.

Falls City Beer
12-06-2005, 05:43 PM
Careful FCB. That's probably how they lured you into being a Reds fan. "look we have this exciting dynamic unstoppable franchise. gO rEDz!". You're going to end up a Bengals and Reds fan and let me tell you from personal experience, that is the road, while perhaps less traveled, that opens up into a festering dungheap of heartbreak and frustration.

Having said that, Go Bengals!

Honestly, when Louisville plays Kentucky and thereafter, I'm glued to college hoops. I lose all "interest" in football. The Cards are the best hot stove on earth. For a couple of weeks midseason, I sate my sports thirst on whatever interesting matchups occur in the NFL. But it never ropes me in fully--and I've really tried to get excited about it--I just can't.

The Reds had me roped in during my Oedipal stage--no going back. But I've been damn fortunate to see three world championships in my 39 years of life.

Heath
12-06-2005, 05:55 PM
As an old-timer Ohio fan (Reds, Buckeyes, Browns), the Bengals are like that annoying little puppy that nips at your ankles...and then it goes away...and then it comes back.

The Bengals have some serious upside. Its still the Bengals tho..

Not that the Brownies have been better mind you...that's a funk that's not wore off in 6 years.

Heath
12-06-2005, 05:56 PM
I'm with Chad. I want another shot at Indy.

The Bengals can beat the Colts.

First get by San Diego...then maybe Denver....or New England..

Then worry about the Colts. They'll still be there at the end.

BTW - Its Colts' destiny this year. Its' an NFL mandate.

Matt700wlw
12-06-2005, 06:28 PM
I agree. I'm not one to look ahead, but I said after the Colts beat them a couple of weeks ago that I wanted this team to get another shot at them.

Obviously to do that, they have to take care of business

Cedric
12-06-2005, 07:32 PM
The Browns have been irrelevant for thirty years. It will stay that way.

GAC
12-06-2005, 08:37 PM
Did you see the coverages the Steelers were using?

That's not the point. He said NODODY can stop him.

Chad and his gigantic pie-hole were a major reason why Chris Henry, TJ Houshmandzadeh, and Reggie Kelly were open.

No one is denying that. That is the obvious. And you don't think opposing teams also don't realize this - that dbl covering CJ is gonna leave other guys open? C'mon. It's not like CJ is pulling the wool over opposing team's defensive coordinator's eyes by making these statements. :lol:

But to come out and guarantee that their team is gonna WIN the Super Bowl this year is a pretty bold (and IMO, stupid) prediction, that not only reflects on CJ, but also the entire Bengals team.

The guy likes to run his mouth. I find that alot of the times, the stuff his says doesn't come true. It's a hit n miss thing with him.

Cincy should have an easy time this weekend with Cleveland. But I've noticed Chad hasn't come out and said much after what happened last year. ;)

The Bengals have a talented enough team that they don't need Chad Johnson's mouth to lead them to victory. His hands - yes.

Cedric
12-06-2005, 08:44 PM

No one is denying that. That is the obvious. And you don't think opposing teams also don't realize this - that dbl covering CJ is gonna leave other guys open? C'mon. It's not like CJ is pulling the wool over opposing team's defensive coordinator's eyes by making these statements. :lol:

But to come out and guarantee that their team is gonna be in the Super Bowl this year is a pretty bold (and IMO, stupid) prediction, that not only reflects on CJ, but also the entire Bengals team.

The guy likes to run his mouth. I find that alot of the times, the stuff his says doesn't come true. It's a hit n miss thing with him.

Cincy should have an easy time this weekend with Cleveland. But I've noticed Chad hasn't come out and said much after what happened last year. ;)

The Bengals have a talented enough team that they don't need Chad Johnson's mouth to lead them to victory. His hands - yes.

You might be mistaken if you don't think it affects the play of opposing db's and how they worry more about Chad because of wanting to show him up. Mental head games are a key part of football.

traderumor
12-06-2005, 08:55 PM

But to come out and guarantee that their team is gonna WIN the Super Bowl this year is a pretty bold (and IMO, stupid) prediction, that not only reflects on CJ, but also the entire Bengals team.

I don't think even Chad takes himself as seriously as fans of other teams do. It is pretty apparent that the team can handle his personality, and his little baby fits on the sideline have only shown up on one occasion this year that I can remember. And his antics have helped the Bengals get some national attention before winning took care of the rest. I love Chad Johnson and what he does for a Bengals franchise that had so many guys who were collecting a paycheck for over a decade. I think Marvin loves him too, and his opinion is the one that counts.

GAC
12-06-2005, 08:59 PM
You might be mistaken if you don't think it affects the play of opposing db's and how they worry more about Chad because of wanting to show him up. Mental head games are a key part of football.

Sure -there's a mental aspect to the game. But DB's of any worth/talent know what that aspect of the game is all about and don't let it bother them, or get into their head. Especially when the same guy is coming out every week and saying the same thing over and over. It kinda wears thin IMO with the opposing DB's who start to laugh/shrug it off.

Johnson is a very talented receiver. I've stated that over and over. I just don't care much for any player, on either side of the ball (it's not about CJ pesonally) who loves to run their mouths and be the center of attention.

IMO, it all started with guys like Deion Sanders. Very talented -I just didn't care for his antics.

I really like TJ. Some would say that CJ has made TJ a better receiver. I say that can go both ways. When TJ wasn't in there (injured), it wasn't so easy going for Johnson. They need each other. And then there is Chris Henry. ;)

GAC
12-06-2005, 09:07 PM
I don't think even Chad takes himself as seriously as fans of other teams do.

Hey! Is that a knock? :lol:

It is pretty apparent that the team can handle his personality

Winning does that to fans and team members, and I have no problem with that one bit. Cincy has a solid team. But we really don't know what alot of the other players really think. The aren't gonna say much of anything as long as they are winning. But in the past Lewis has "sat on" Johnson for things he has said. But again - winning causes one to also take a 'blind eye" to it because you don't want to do anything that would upset the flow or the player in question. I get the impression that the other players and Lewis kinda walk a "fine line" with CJ because he is so volatile emotionally. ;)

and his little baby fits on the sideline have only shown up on one occasion this year that I can remember.

He has had more then one "sideline" incident. And then there were the statments after the Jacksonville game that were critical of Palmer not getting him the ball, and that "he wishes he wasn't so good".

And his antics have helped the Bengals get some national attention before winning took care of the rest.

Why not give the credit to the Bengals as a whole (especially Marvin Lewis and the coaching staff), and the fact that they are 9-3, as the reason why they are geting national attention. Where would CJ be without the likes of a Carson Palmer, a good offensive line, Rudi Johnson, and co-receivers such as TJ and Henry.

That's why Bengal fans should be proud. Chad Johnson's mouth has added nothing to that success. ;)

Redsfaithful
12-06-2005, 09:40 PM
And his antics have helped the Bengals get some national attention before winning took care of the rest.

Yeah, I agree totally with this. Compare the media coverage of the Bengals and the Seahawks this year. Chad is the reason why Cincinnati is all over everything, and I enjoy that. It's not something you see very often when you root for Cincinnati sports.

traderumor
12-06-2005, 09:40 PM
No, GAC, that was a general comment. Chad is just displaying his personality and happens to have a job that people write down what he says when he runs his mouth. I don't think his antics are a detriment to the team, when he starts to get out of hand, Marvin reels him back in. No harm, no foul in my book. I just think fans, in general, get all wrapped up in players trash talking when it has little to no effect on the field of play. Now, when you regularly rip your teammates publicly like the TO/McNabb problem, that's another story. And I don't think you represented the Jacksonville postgame comments properly. Carson made it pretty clear that he and Chad were fine.

WMR
12-06-2005, 10:47 PM
Chad is all about positivity. That's why I'm okay with what he says.

It's all relatively tongue-in-cheek and he's a very likable guy. I've got no problem with anything he says.

WMR
12-06-2005, 10:48 PM
Which is why they picked him off five times and blew them out in Soldier Field. :)

That was my point. Some folks were acting like if we played the Vikes or Bears now, the results would somehow be markedly different. I strongly disagree with those sentiments. :)