PDA

View Full Version : Browns-Bengals Game Thread

WMR
12-10-2005, 12:02 PM
GAC let's get it on!! ;)

Bengals look to finish what they started
By GEOFF HOBSON

No “egg game.”

The Bengals know they can’t afford to play like they did the last time the Cleveland Browns came to town in December with a division title on the line, when they produced that flat omelet in the last game of the 2003 season. So with the snow swirling Thursday at Paul Brown Stadium, head coach Marvin Lewis continued to apply the principles of a sweltering training camp practice of August.

Houshmandzadeh
“What is this? Game 13? We’re practicing like it's Game 1," said wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh before practice. "I think that’s a reason we are where we are. This is a different team. We went into that game thinking and hoping we can win. We go into this one knowing we can win.”

With the No. 1 team on offense, the No. 1 turnover team on defense, and most importantly, four physical AFC North wins under their belt, this truly is a different team than two years ago.

“I don’t think we’ll lay an egg like that,” said defensive tackle John Thornton. “That’s not what good teams are supposed to do. Cleveland is good enough to come in here and beat us. All I’m saying is good teams don’t lay eggs. I don’t know why we played like that. Nobody played well that day.”

Lewis is making sure there is no let down against this Browns team that has four wins after the 8-7 Bengals lost a chance to finish with a winning record and push the Ravens for the North title against the 4-11 Browns two years ago. On Wednesday he appealed to the hot button that has pushed this team since the Oct. 23 loss to the Steelers.

Get even more physical.

“If you look at us in the first game against them, we were much more physical up front and that was a big difference in the football game than what we're playing now,” said Lewis of the 27-13 win over Cleveland in the opener. “We've got to go back to doing that. We have to do that. This is a good time to take a look at that, and reflect upon that and see, 'Boy, that's us.' And go back to that kind of mentality.”

Thornton is talking about how Browns running back Reuben Droughns is the toughest back they’ve played all year and left tackle Levi Jones is bracing for the relentless play of Browns talented defensive lineman Orpheus Roye.

“I think it all starts with the offensive and defensive lines,” said right guard Bobbie Williams.

After the Bengals ability to be physical was questioned in the 27-13 loss to the Steelers, the Bengals have muscled through scores every time they’ve been in the red zone when the game was still in doubt. They have averaged 111 yards per game on the ground in their last three division games against top 10 defenses, and on Sunday they held the proud Steelers running game to less than 100 yards.

But Lewis’s call to tighten it up even more seems to have found its mark. That’s another reason the Bengals are where they are. They buy into what Lewis tells them.

“Droughns is probably going to be that third Pro Bowl back in my opinion,” Thornton said. “He’s having a tough year. He’s the best guy we’ve seen. The way he’s running now, he’s probably the best back we’ve faced.”

Browns running game gets it going
Droughns is running behind an offensive line that has impressed Bengals defensive line coach Jay Hayes with the rhythm it has displayed by staying intact as a unit in churning out a running game accounting for Droughns’s 4.3 yards per carry. Left tackle L.J. Shelton, right tackle Ryan Tucker, and center Jeff Faine have started all 12 games, with right guard Cosey Coleman starting all but one and left guard Joe Andruzzi all but three.

If there’s one part of the Bengals that’s been consistently physical, it’s their offensive line, and they’re ready to do it again. How good has this line been? The Bengals are third in the NFL in allowing sacks per pass and are No. 12 rushing the ball despite playing eight of their 12 games against top 10 defenses.

“We buy into it. We need to get physical. The back-to-basics stuff is so we don’t get knocked off course,” Jones said. “I feel like we’ve been very physical as a line. We could always be more physical.”

Jones
Jones knows that a Romeo Crennel defense lies in wait.

“They’re going to have all 11 guys going to the ball and you know Orpheus Roye is going to be banging up in there all day,” Jones said. “We have to match their intensity and hopefully take it past that.”

Williams feels like his unit has to step up again in a game against a defense that wide receiver Chad Johnson says “bends but doesn’t break.” Williams sees Crennel’s magic starting to work on a defense that has allowed only one team to score more than the 27 points the Bengals scored on them in the opener. In five of its eight losses, Cleveland has held a team to 20 points or less and has one shutout.

“Linebackers like Andra Davis are starting to adjust to the defense. They’re beginning to look like the Patriots,” Williams said. “They’re very aggressive. It starts with them and we have to be up to that challenge.”

Jones said Wednesday was a spirited type of camp practice because “guys were flying to the ball and running around,” yet he also joked, “But I didn’t get into a fight so it really wasn’t like training camp.” Known as one of the team’s toughest men, Jones said, “make sure you write that any fight I’ve ever been in at camp, I didn’t start.”

Lewis doesn’t want his guys fighting, but he wants fight in his guys. The snow hit about an hour into practice and it was going good for about an hour before they came in, which seemed to suit the mentality Lewis is seeking.

“What snow?” Lewis asked.

There were no hints that he is moving Friday’s practice indoors. It looks like PBS, snow or no snow.

“We’re fine,” he said, which is how Houshmandzadeh saw it.

“If you ask me,” Houshmandzadeh said, “every practice is like this.”

Which is why they’re getting ready for this week’s version of the AFC North title game in the snow.

Matt700wlw
12-10-2005, 02:13 PM
Bengals. AFC North title. Bengals. AFC North title.

Wow, it's been a while!!! How sweet it sounds!!

BoydsOfSummer
12-11-2005, 12:52 AM
Twelve points is a big spread, I think muh Dawgs will cover.

GAC
12-11-2005, 05:23 AM
It should be no problem for the Bengals. The weather might be a factor - flurries and in the 30's.

I look at the Browns-Bengal games alot like the OSU-Michigan games. Regardless of the records it's always a good game. The players get up for this one.

We didn't play a bad game in the season opener. It was 27-13, but the Browns shot themselves in the foot quite a bit and had two TDs called back for stupid penalties. The punt return for a TD that was called back was a bogus call too. ;)

But both offenses moved the ball up and down the field. I expect that today too. We just can't keep settling for FG's.

But again - the Bengals shouldn't have any problems. Our secondary is injury depleted. If the weather is a factor, I look for both teams to run the ball more.

Charlie Fry versus the Bengal's secondary could be interesting. Edwards is out, but he only played in 2 series in that first meeting. The Browns are expected to use multiple receiver sets with Northcutt and Cribbs replacing Edwards.

The Brown's secondary is pumped about facing Johnson, and really want to shut him down. They shut him down last year, but he caught 9 passes for 91 yds in the opener this year. So that may be the interesting "contest" to watch and what Crennel will do. ;)

remdog
12-11-2005, 09:06 AM
There is a terrific article in the Enquirer this morning about Paul Brown. Those of us that have been around long enough to relate to his impact on both Cleveland and Cincinnati will understand why that common thread makes these especially emotional games. (I stiall hate Art Modell for firing PB not to mention moving the team to Baltimore.)

Rooting for the Bengals (as I have since '72). They've come so far to be this close.

Rem

GAC
12-11-2005, 09:27 AM
Rooting for the Bengals (as I have since '72). They've come so far to be this close.

Rem

What do you mean you're rootin' for the Bengals? You're from Parma you traitor! The Browns Backers union shall hear about this transgression. :lol:

WMR
12-11-2005, 10:02 AM
The Tale of the Tape

WHEN THE BENGALS HAVE THE BALL
RT Willie Anderson vs. LE Orpheus Roye

The Bengals' best vs. the Browns' best. Two 10-year vets banging it out in a smashmouth game on a dreary offensive line day. The 6-4, 305-pound Roye is having a Pro Bowl year no one knows about. The 6-6, 340-pound Anderson is having a Pro Bowl year everyone can see because his offense is ranked No. 1.

Roye is coming off his third nine-tackle game of the season, and got credited for two sacks against Jacksonville, but his M.O. is being a point of force against the run. Anderson is leading the Bengals offensive line through a marvelous stretch in which it has allowed just nine sacks in the last seven games in a run that began against a Titans team that was leading the AFC in sacks on Oct. 16. Five of those games came against teams in the top 10 in sacks per pass.

The Browns aren’t much of a sack threat (they are the league’s fourth worst in generating sacks per snap), but Anderson’s guys can do more than protect the passer. In the last three division games against a No. 2 defense twice (the Ravens) and the No. 8 Steelers, the Bengals have consistently run it in the tight spots. They’ve scored nine touchdowns in 12 red-zone trips that didn’t end in a kneel down, with six coming off line smashes that includes an eight-yard shovel pass to rookie wide receiver Tab Perry up the middle.

And the Browns are very good in the red zone, where they are ninth best in the NFL at preventing touchdowns. You can sense the tough, Patriotic mindset settling in.

RB Rudi Johnson vs. MLB Andra Davis

This is Johnson’s kind of bang-it-slog-it game. The Browns figure to take away the Bengals’ long passes with a Cover Two defense which Johnson must exploit to take over the afternoon. Cleveland is struggling in the running game. But they’ve only given up four 100-yard games, starting with Johnson’s season-high 126 yards in the opener.

Johnson loves the AFC North games. His two 100-yard games have come against the rivals, and he had two more taken away on three negative carries late in the game. In the five North games, he’s averaging 100 on the nose, 71 against everyone else.

If it’s getting colder, it must be Rudi Time. In the four November and December games, he’s averaging 96 per game. In his last 13 games in November, December and January, he’s averaging 104.

WR Chad Johnson vs. Browns head coach Romeo Crennel

Crennel is truly one of the finer defensive minds of his generation and he has a track record of stopping sleek offenses like the Bengals. When his Patriots were faced with the scorched-earth Rams offense four Super Bowls ago that did Bengal-like damage with three receivers, Crennel and head coach Bill Belichick responded by flooding the field with defensive backs and getting physical with the Rams receivers. The formula took Belichick from NFL Record and Fact Book anonymity to Mount Rushmore in the time it took the Pats to finish off the Rams, 24-21.

Of course, the Bears, Ravens and Titans all tried to get physical with Johnson in key junctures of games and have been burned for touchdowns or long passes this season. The Browns have allowed only 15 touchdown passes in 12 games this year, but since the Bengals have added the No Huddle as a staple in the three games after the bye, the Bengals have used it to spring Johnson for two touchdowns of at least 54 yards.

But if the Browns want to make the Bengals nickel and dime it out of the No Huddle, they can do that, too. Last week against the Steelers, Cincinnati had three drives of at least nine plays for 10 points. And when the Bengals pretty much called off the No Huddle in the red zone, or near the goal line, they scored four touchdowns once they got inside the 20.

WHEN THE BROWNS HAVE THE BALL
SS Ifeanyi Ohalate vs. RB Reuben Droughns
Ohalete
The Bengals know exactly what they’re getting with a rookie QB on the road in bad weather and a rugged back (5-11, 215 pounds) closing in on the best season by a Browns running back since Jim Brown’s last sprint in “The Dirty Dozen.”

Ohalete has taken the brunt of Bengaldom’s wrath lately with two highly visible missed tackles in the last couple of weeks, the first one a whiff on Colts tight end Dallas Clark’s 56-yard play and the other a miss last week of Steelers wide receiver Quincy Morgan that turned into a 25-yard touchdown instead of merely a 10-yard pickup on third-and-six.

“He knows he's got to do a better job of tackling,” Lewis said earlier this week. “He's had a couple of opportunities in the open field to make tackles and get the guy on the ground. Those so-called SportsCenter hits don't quite cut it. Your job is to get the guy on the ground. We've allowed two explosive touchdowns that should never have happened because we don't make the tackle there in the open field on the receiver. Those things need to improve. He's got to work hard at that. We have to as a football team.”

LE Justin Smith vs. QB Charlie Frye

Frye is making his second NFL start after last week’s impressive debut in the first half melted in Jacksonville’s five sacks as Frye appeared to hang on to the ball. The Bengals are wary of Frye’s athleticism and his ability to throw on the run. Smith is part of the battalion that has to contain him and make him throw his rookie mistakes from the pocket toward a secondary that has an NFL-high 26 interceptions. Frye has thrown just 32 NFL passes, so that numbers game can’t be comforting for the Browns.

One of the reasons Frye may hold on to the ball and make him vulnerable to Smith’s rush is he doesn’t have a lot of options downfield. The guy he threw his two touchdowns to last Sunday, rookie wide receiver Braylon Edwards, is done for the year with a torn ACL. Frisman Jackson, the big guy replacing Edwards, hasn’t scored a touchdown since the Bengals botched a short crossing pattern and turned it into a 68-yard touchdown pass in the opener that still stands as the longest pass against them this season. Antonio Bryant has some speed, but he, Jackson, and Dennis Northcutt have just 1,246 yards combined this season, barely ahead of Chad Johnson’s 1,139.

WR Tab Perry vs. KR Josh Cribbs

A true Golden Flash out of Kent State, Cribbs is a good match in this all-rookie battle. Perry is coming off his AFC Special Teams Player of the Week award that came courtesy of his 94-yard Red Badge of Courage return in Pittsburgh, but his most important job Sunday may be tackling the 6-1, 192-pound Cribbs.

Perry is a staple of the Bengals kick cover team ranked second in the NFL, and they have to get to Cribbs in a hurry. He has two 150-yard plus return games, his most recent two weeks ago when he averaged 31 on five returns in Minnesota. He returned one for a 90-yard touchdown in the Oct. 23 game against Detroit on his way to 152 yards. Wide receiver Kevin Walter, one of the men who helped spring Perry’s 94-yarder as well as his 46-yarder last week, compares Cribbs to the 6-3, 220-pound Perry.

“Both guys are fearless and are going to take you on physically,” Walter said. “They’re big, and they get to you fast.”

Walter on why the Bengals are so good covering kicks and have consistently been among the league leaders in tackles inside the 20: “We compete among ourselves. I want to be the first guy down there. I want to make the tackle. We all want to be the best at it.”

At the moment, it’s a heated competition for that overall special teams tackling crown: Walter and Perry lead with 14 each, but linebackers Marcus Wilkins (13), Hannibal Navies (12), and safety Anthony Mitchell (12) are right there.

Perry is eighth in the NFL with 25.9 yards per return and Cribbs is 13th at 24.3. But there are three rookies ahead of Perry in Houston’s Jerome Mathis (No. 2), Tennessee’s "Pac Man" Jones (No. 5), and Jacksonville’s Derrick Wimbush (No. 6).

Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis vs. The Intangibles

The greatest NFL rehab job in recent memory is on the verge of completion. Everyone agrees. Lewis has done virtually everything right and now his team has to follow through on one of the foundations he built the program: Finish.

Finish blocks. Finish plays. Finish practices. Finish games.

Now the Bengals have to finish this division run Sunday at 5-1, which gives them the tiebreaker and virtually their first division title in 15 years because the magic number will be one with three to play.

But they are coming off their most emotional win in the 44 games of Marvin Mania to a cold home field against a team that has a punishing running back and nothing to lose. The Bengals could see everything but a drop kick.

Lewis has been brilliant in getting this team loose and fast and not playing with the chains of ghosts.

Now, he has to finish, too.

(from www.bengals.com)

GAC
12-11-2005, 12:12 PM
Yep

GAC
12-11-2005, 01:18 PM
OK. I'll start one. ;)

Nice start for my Browns. Stopped the Bengals on their initial drive, and then put together a nice scoring drive. Frye looked good rushing for the TD.

7-0 Browns

GAC
12-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Geez! Great run D there Brownies. :rolleyes:

Rudi made that look easy.

7-7 game

GAC
12-11-2005, 01:46 PM
Palmer INT by Davis.

A pass and a run, and it's 1st and goal at the Bengals 8.

creek14
12-11-2005, 01:57 PM
Looks like you're going to have to take out Rudi if you want to win this game, GAC. He is running at will. Whoever will is...

Playadlc
This is shades of last years 59-49 game.

Rudi with 110 yard rushing with 9 minutes left in the 2nd.

GAC
Rudi Johnson has 110 yds on 11 carries in the 2nd quarter - totally unreal!

GAC
12-11-2005, 02:00 PM
So far, QB ratings....

Frye - 131.3
Palmer - 4.2

That won't last though ;)

Good stop by the Brown's D to hold them to a FG

14-10

creek14
12-11-2005, 02:03 PM
Pretty soon work is going to interfere with my RedsZone and football. Man I hate when that happens.

I love Peyton's commercials.

GAC
12-11-2005, 02:15 PM
Total yardage...

Browns 76
Rudi 123

:lol:

GAC
12-11-2005, 02:22 PM
Orpheus Roye chasing Palmer - what a picture! I have nightmares like that! :lol:

Good stop Brownies to hold them to a FG!

14-13 Browns

GAC
12-11-2005, 02:26 PM
I gotta give the Browns credit - they played a pretty solid 1st half. But they've done that quite a bit this year. They were up last week on the Jaguars at halftime 14-0. They need to put together 4 quarters. ;)

GAC
12-11-2005, 02:39 PM
The only thing that is keeping the Browns in this game has been field position and a turnover. Especially when you look at total yardage (200 vs 71).

I think the Brown's defensive coordinator has done a good job confusing Palmer with different reads; but we'll see how that goes in the 2nd half.

Plus our secondary has done a very good job with Johnson and TJ.

GAC
12-11-2005, 02:46 PM
Thank you Thorton! :lol:

WMR
12-11-2005, 02:47 PM
John Thornton really ought to be ashamed of himself; getting drawn offsides by a freakin rookie

Playadlc
12-11-2005, 02:48 PM
John Thornton absolutely sucks.

Is it a rule that the Bengals have to play like absolute crap against the Browns?

GAC
12-11-2005, 02:54 PM
What a drive. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. :rolleyes:

At least we got 3 out of it and too almost 8 minutes off the clock.

17-13 Browns

GAC
12-11-2005, 02:56 PM
Did Thad run the hurdles in college? :lol:

WMR
12-11-2005, 02:56 PM
Tab? Yeah, it looked that way

MrCinatit
12-11-2005, 03:00 PM
wow. it almost looks like the Bengals could absolutely care less about this game.

Playadlc
The Bengals might want to wake up and start playing some football sometime soon.

GAC
I think Palmer's consecutive week streak of having a QB rating over 100 is in dire jeopardy. At 34.1 right now.

GAC
12-11-2005, 03:02 PM
Yeah guys, but you're only 4 pts down. Your team can make that up in one play. It took us 7 minutes to get 3! :lol:

WMR
12-11-2005, 03:04 PM
They don't send 'em to the probowl for nothing!

GAC
O'Neal INT

Playadlc
DELTHA!!!!!!!

Hopefully that's the spark we needed.

GAC
12-11-2005, 03:05 PM
Man! It just seems that Palmer and his receivers are not in sync or are able to get into any kind of rhythm.

WMR
12-11-2005, 03:07 PM
Good thing Rudi has had a monster game; Carson has appeared completely lost at times

WMR
12-11-2005, 03:08 PM
Have they made any announcement in regards to Chris Perry? X-rays negative?

WMR
Td Bengals

GAC
Td Tj

Playadlc
12-11-2005, 03:09 PM
How Denver let Deltha O'Neal get away for peanuts will always be a mystery to me.

WMR
12-11-2005, 03:09 PM
:party: :clap: :jump: :KoolAid: :rockband:

All I can say is, "About friggin' time!"

&

"THANK YOU DEFENSE"

GAC
12-11-2005, 03:10 PM
They haven't said anything about Perry. Orpheus landed on it, so that ain't good.

WMR
12-11-2005, 03:10 PM
How Denver let Deltha O'Neal get away for peanuts will always be a mystery to me.

When a player gets in Shanahan's doghouse, it doesn't really seem to matter what the reality of that player's ability is, they're as good as done w/ the Broncs.

WMR
12-11-2005, 03:11 PM
To think that Shanahan tried to make Deltha O'Neal become a wide receiver???? LOL, that's so ludicrous.

wheels
12-11-2005, 03:11 PM
I've been very impressed with Cleveland today.

Crennel's a defensive genious.

Remember, they held the Colts to ten points in week three.

GAC
12-11-2005, 03:16 PM
I've been very impressed with Cleveland today.

Crennel's a defensive genious.

Remember, they held the Colts to ten points in week three.

We've made progress, but the run defense has room for improvement. That comes with getting the right personnel for the 3-4 D.

They went into Indy and played one heck of a game. They yielded 16 pts; but should have beat them. We had 14 pts called back for stupid penalties.

But Crennel knows his D.

WMR
12-11-2005, 03:17 PM
Wow, circus catch by Northcutt

GAC
What a catch by 'Cutt!

remdog
What was the injury to Perry? Leg? Knee? etc.

Rem

GAC
12-11-2005, 03:18 PM
Wow, circus catch by Northcutt

Yeah, but he'll drop a TD catch. ;)

WMR
12-11-2005, 03:18 PM
Rem, Ankle.

WMR
12-11-2005, 03:19 PM
Frye sacked!

remdog
12-11-2005, 03:19 PM
Thanks, WM.

Rem

GAC
12-11-2005, 03:22 PM
Browns need to stop'em on this possession or it may be over.

Nice D on Johnson down field.

WMR
12-11-2005, 03:24 PM
Browns need to stop'em on this possession or it may be over.

Nice D on Johnson down field.

Looked like pass interference to me!! :D

GAC
12-11-2005, 03:24 PM
Rut Roh... laptop battery dying on me! :lol:

GAC
12-11-2005, 03:25 PM
Looked like pass interference to me!! :D

OK Chad! :lol:

GAC
12-11-2005, 03:26 PM
Punt time!

C'mon Brownies!

GAC
12-11-2005, 03:31 PM
Frye is best when they have him rolling out.

GAC
12-11-2005, 03:32 PM
Frye scrambles to the 12.

GAC
12-11-2005, 03:36 PM
Brown TO on the 10... 3rd and long. Do they play safe, protect the FG try, or try a pass?

remdog
12-11-2005, 03:37 PM
Yeah! CBS moved to the Bengals game on the West Coast!

Rem

GAC
12-11-2005, 03:38 PM
Damn Charlie! Got lucky there that it wasn't another INT.

FG good.

20-20

Playadlc
12-11-2005, 03:38 PM
That ball was basically handed to O'Neal and he dropped it.

Ouch.

remdog
12-11-2005, 03:39 PM
Time for a long, time-eating drive for the winning score.

Rem

GAC
12-11-2005, 03:40 PM
It's been a darn good game. I'm impressed at how well the Brown's D has played - even with the injuries.

GAC
12-11-2005, 03:41 PM
Time for a long, time-eating drive for the winning score.

Rem

Traitor. I've already reported you to rfs. ;)

remdog
12-11-2005, 03:44 PM
It's in honor of Paul Brown. :)

Rem

GAC
12-11-2005, 03:47 PM
It's in honor of Paul Brown. :)

Rem

Didn't the Bengals also fire Paul Brown? ;)

remdog
12-11-2005, 03:48 PM
He fired himself? :)

Rem

GAC
12-11-2005, 03:53 PM
Good call on the Johnson incompletion.

remdog
12-11-2005, 03:56 PM
Good call on the Boden holding. :)

Rem

GAC
12-11-2005, 03:58 PM
That's a BS call! The 2nd one.

Dom Heffner
12-11-2005, 03:58 PM
I'm following this thing on ESPN gamecast. Are the Bengals going to kick this thing or not?

remdog
12-11-2005, 04:00 PM
Browns keep dragging it out! LOL

Rem

Playadlc
12-11-2005, 04:01 PM
Bengals win!!!!!!

10-3!

WHO-DEY!!!!!!

GAC
12-11-2005, 04:01 PM
Bengals escape!

23-20

remdog
12-11-2005, 04:02 PM
Bengals win but the Browns played great. They have made large strides this year.

Rem

KronoRed
12-11-2005, 04:04 PM
Bengals fail to cover the spread :p:

Northern Dancer
12-11-2005, 04:23 PM
It was a squeaker - kudos to the Browns - but a win is a win.
The Bengals' magic number is down to one! :thumbup:

RedsBaron
12-11-2005, 04:44 PM
It was a squeaker - kudos to the Browns - but a win is a win.
The Bengals' magic number is down to one! :thumbup:
Yes it is.
I think the Bengals are still a year or two away from a serious shot at the Super Bowl, but give Marvin Lewis time and he will probably have a defense good enough to team with the offense to make a real Super run.

traderumor
12-11-2005, 05:18 PM
Wow! Glad to get away with one there. That one smelled of upset the entire way. Frye seems to be a good playmaker, but I'm not sure he's a long-term solution. He pulled some big third down plays off with the scramble, but I sure didn't see someone who could one day take the Browns to the next level.

I thought the Bengals D did a great job today except for the first drive of the second half. The Browns only got a FG, but they have to get off the field on third and longs.

Rudi just seems to be keeping the tradition going that Corey Dillon started against the Browns.

Not sure where any complaint can be on either of those calls on the DB trying to contain CJ at the end. The first one was a blatant hold and the second one was worse yet.

pedro
12-11-2005, 05:21 PM
They switched over from the Colts game with about 4 minutes left so I got to see the end of the game which was cool.

Bengals pull out another squeeker.

BoydsOfSummer
12-11-2005, 07:26 PM
Just got in from the game. I went down with my Browns Backers club and we had a ball mixing it up with the Gals. Next year this rivalry gets bumped up a few notches methinks as I believe my Dawgs will leap in improvement. Will be alot of fun once it means something for both teams again.

I'm happy for (some of) the true long-suffering Bengal fans; it's been a long hard road.

GAC
12-11-2005, 08:30 PM
Wow! Glad to get away with one there. That one smelled of upset the entire way. Frye seems to be a good playmaker, but I'm not sure he's a long-term solution. He pulled some big third down plays off with the scramble, but I sure didn't see someone who could one day take the Browns to the next level.

That's why I'm glad they are playing him, to see what they got. But I thought he did a pretty good job. He did a really good job at sustaining several clock-eating drives/ball control. He made a couple poor decisions (1 INT and almost another), but those were simply rookie mistakes and understandable. But having a mobile QB and not a stiff board (Dilfer) makes all the difference.

This season, Frye has completed 35-of-56 passes for 422 yards, three touchdowns and three interceptions for an 81.1 quarterback rating. During two starts the past two weeks, Frye has completed 29-of-44 passes for 364 yards, three touchdowns and one interception. That equals to a 104.7 passer rating. For a rookie, I'll take it.

I thought the Bengals D did a great job today except for the first drive of the second half. The Browns only got a FG, but they have to get off the field on third and longs.

I thought both D's did a good job overall. Under a new system (3-4) the run defense is gonna be the weak link until the right personnel are found. But there have been two games this year, against two solid QB's (Manning/Palmer), where Crennel has developed schemes/coverages that kept the QBs off balance, and where they didn't have very good games.

Not sure where any complaint can be on either of those calls on the DB trying to contain CJ at the end. The first one was a blatant hold and the second one was worse yet.

You're probably right. The first one was pretty obvious, but I thought the 2nd was within the 5 yd range and on a slant, but once the ball is released that doesn't apply.

traderumor
12-11-2005, 09:09 PM
Don't get me wrong, Frye played a solid game and kept drives alive with some nice throws on the run. But I would not, as I saw some fans doing on a Browns board, say that "we don't need to draft a QB now." He reminds me a little of a Kitna type--good enough to start on a mediocre team, but not a franchise QB

GAC
12-12-2005, 08:09 AM
Don't get me wrong, Frye played a solid game and kept drives alive with some nice throws on the run. But I would not, as I saw some fans doing on a Browns board, say that "we don't need to draft a QB now." He reminds me a little of a Kitna type--good enough to start on a mediocre team, but not a franchise QB

Give him some receivers to throw to. Could have been a completely different game if there were a healthy Winslow and Edwards out there. That's why we have been throwing more to our TE's. That's also why it's hard to stop the Bengals - they have a solid, balanced attack. I agreed wholeheartedly with Crennel's gameplan going into this one.... if you're gonna beat me, then you are gonna do it with your running game (which keeps the score low/close and eats up the clock. I'm not gonna allow Palmer and his receiving corp, who are a quick strike threat and can put a game out of reach very quickly, to do it. They basically shut down one aspect of the game and took their chances with the other.

It was really the only route that Crennel and the defensive coordinator could take that would give them any chance. And it shows our weakness in the LB position.

But we're 30 Mil under the salary cap and they have already stated that regardless of where they draft, they have pinpointed 6 positions they are gonna improve either via the draft or FA.

But I thought it was one heck of a good game overall.