PDA

View Full Version : any1 else hear marty on furman's show

BUTLER REDSFAN
12-13-2005, 08:59 PM
what was that all about--marty grilled andy over andy's interview with sean casey-casey made reference to this being a salary dump and marty was upset that andy didn't challenge that remark-marty proceeded to use some rather hateful language and was rippin andy left and right?!?!?

Matt700wlw
12-13-2005, 09:11 PM
I'm still not sure where it came from....that was, well, odd....

westofyou
12-13-2005, 09:12 PM
I'm still not sure where it came from....that was, well, odd....Transcript us Matt

BoydsOfSummer
12-13-2005, 09:22 PM
Hell, he should be ripping Furball instead of me and Pedro. :D

Matt700wlw
12-13-2005, 09:30 PM
I don't have time to give a full transcript, but here's basically what happened.

Andy had on Sean Casey for an interview, to get his view on the trade, get his thoughts on going home, etc. Nothing controversal, nothing "edgy", just a basic final goodbye for Sean.

At one point, Andy basically asked him about the trade. Sean felt (his opinion) that it may have been a salary dump. He also mentioned he would have been willing to take a pay cut to stay here, but was never considered by the organization, and basically when they called him to let him know he's been traded, it was more or less, "your traded. good luck." There was other stuff in the interview, but not important to the thread.

After the interview, Marty called to talk to Andy off the air. Andy asked Marty if he wanted to come on, and Marty said yes.

Marty came on to question Andy's interview. He said he was "pissed off" that he didn't question Sean about his salary dump because it clearly wasn't a salary dump, since the Reds tried to use that money to sign Matt Morris. Andy said, as his guest, he is going to let Sean Casey express his opinion, and that wasn't the point of the interview. Marty got pretty heated about it and ripped Andy pretty good for not questioning what Casey said.

I'm still kind of in shock of the whole thing....

pedro
12-13-2005, 09:33 PM
ok, who stole Marty's body?

There's a lot suspects to be sure.

Falls City Beer
12-13-2005, 09:36 PM
Marty's got man-love for Dan O'Brien.

KittyDuran
12-13-2005, 09:37 PM
I'm sure we'll hear it repeated on Jim Scott's show and Willie's as well.:help:

dougflynn23
12-13-2005, 09:39 PM
I'm still not sure where it came from....that was, well, odd.... :) The statement above pretty much summarizes how most sports fans feel about Andy Furman's tired act in general.

Marty should have known better. He gave the village idiot credibility.

BoydsOfSummer
12-13-2005, 09:40 PM
yeah, Willie is drooling over what he can whip up tomorrow.

Caveat Emperor
12-13-2005, 09:49 PM
At one point, Andy basically asked him about the trade. Sean felt (his opinion) that it may have been a salary dump. He also mentioned he would have been willing to take a pay cut to stay here, but was never considered by the organization, and basically when they called him to let him know he's been traded, it was more or less, "your traded. good luck." There was other stuff in the interview, but not important to the thread.

I've no doubt he means that, but I can only imagine the reaction that suggestion would get if it was broached to the union.

SandyD
12-13-2005, 10:15 PM
Somewhere else, Casey mentioned he would have re-signed with the Reds at a lower salary after this year. I suspect that's the "pay cut" referred to.

Matt700wlw
12-13-2005, 10:18 PM
That's what it was....my bad, this was all from the top of my head

TeamBoone
12-13-2005, 10:40 PM
:) The statement above pretty much summarizes how most sports fans feel about Andy Furman's tired act in general.

Marty should have known better. He gave the village idiot credibility.

In this particular instance, it sounds like Furman is the wronged party. [who would have ever thunk that I would say that?]

dman
12-13-2005, 10:50 PM
Marty is another of those who have had their day. Thair act is old, and time has come for a fresh face/voice to be the "Voice Of The Reds". He has done the job, for the most part, pretty well. On the other hand when you've been at it so long like he has, you then feel your on God status and it should be only your opinion that counts. I know this gets said a lot, but Marty should go, and tonight is just another putrid example of that.

LoganBuck
12-13-2005, 11:06 PM
I heard all of Furman's show, save the last half hour.

The first hour was about whether or not the success of Marvin Lewis, Lovie Smith, and Tony Dungy, means that we have moved past the the color of the coaches skin. One of Furman's favorite topics.

Sean's Interview was as reported.

Marty comes on and rips Furman for not calling Casey on the Salary Dump comment. Furman tries to stop him and Marty got even more fired up, he said something about how Furman has an schtick, and this was more of the same old stuff. Then he said that Furman "was no Mike Wallace". My jaw hit the floor.

Marty was laying Furman out, and quite frankly I was loving it. However Marty was definately out of line, calling in and attacking Furman like that. The callers backed Furman probably 3:1 afterward. Furman was very uncomfortable.

spaethc
12-13-2005, 11:13 PM
wow, I did not hear the interview but it sounds like Marty was out of line, and this is coming from someone who cannot stand Andy Furman. If Casey came on to debate Furman then yeah Furman should have questioned Casey about it being a salary dump. However it sounds like Furman just had him on to say to let him have his say on why he was traded and to say goodbye to Cincy. I cant be too upset though since as I earlier stated, I cannot stand Furman.

ochre
12-13-2005, 11:18 PM
Marty's jumped the shark.

TeamBoone
12-13-2005, 11:21 PM
Hmmmm, wonder what Sean was thinking!

KronoRed
12-13-2005, 11:24 PM
That was years ago ;)

Furman vs Marty?

Can I root for someone else? :D

TeamBoone
12-13-2005, 11:25 PM
Furman vs Marty?

Can I root for someone else? :D

Krono, you crack me up! :beerme:

Doc. Scott
12-13-2005, 11:39 PM
Awesome... a Jon Stewart-on-Crossfire moment! Gooooo Marty!

harangatang
12-13-2005, 11:43 PM
The problem is the Reds are trying to make the team competitive again and Sean Casey is whining and crying because he can't have fun anymore. I am truthfully glad that Sean Casey is not a Red because I think his friendly demeanor hurt the ballclub. In example last year all he did was whine and cry when the Reds released Danny Graves even though it made the ballclub better. All he did was stir up the clubhouse and make everyone upset that a "clubhouse leader" was gone even though he sucked.

I don't know if signing Matt Morris would have been the answer considering his decline in numbers the past couple years but at least the Reds are trying after the Milton and Ortiz busts last year.

Topcat
12-13-2005, 11:50 PM
I am unable to add thoughts on tonights show in that in Canada i find it next to impossible to get furmans show. But the only thought I could add is salary dump or not, freeing 6 million and opening a position that Sean casey played as the 30th rated first baseman production wise(not counting the hugs, and his sweety pie nature) is not a loss inregards to what MLB is a business and results are demanded. Sean as a platoon player or a bench player would have great value. The thought of paying him 8.5 million to do that role is beyond assinine.

dman
12-13-2005, 11:55 PM
Getting rid of Casey's heavy salry was definately a right move organizational wise. The way Marty went about airing his opinion, as far as I'm concerned was totally unprofessional, and to me that reflects the way Marty has become over the last 5 or 6 years at least.

As far as Casey's situation being a salary dump, well that's what it was. There is nothing wrong with that IMO. Just call it what it is

SteelSD
12-13-2005, 11:58 PM

I wish I could remember the year, but I was watching a Cubs postgame on WGN with Harry Caray and Steve Sone. It was the last game before the All-Star break and the Cubs had just lost another game in what was already a horrible season for the team.

Stone and Caray were discussing the state of the MLB team and the roster. Stone very reasonably mentioned that the Cubs needed to bring up many of the youngsters who were sitting in AAA to give them experience during a lost season and that the veterans simply were not going to produce well enough to turn anything around. Stone was very calm, collected, and reasonable.

Harry Caray went nearly berserk. Really jumped all over Stone. Caray began ranting that what needed to happen is that the veteran players had to play better to earn their money and that bringing up prospects to play was a stupid idea because the vets were being paid good money to play baseball, yada yada yada. Stone attempted to reason with Caray, but could barely get a word or two out of his mouth before Caray cut him off- and this happened multiple times.

The look on Stone's face was priceless. He knew Caray had just jumped not only the shark, but three dolphins, a humpback whale, and a random confused platypus as well. To this day, I imagine that every day thereafter Steve Stone pictured Harry Carey as if he were wearing a leather jacket, swim trunks, and waterskis while being towed at high speed toward a ramp- with one thumb up yelling "AAAAYYYYYYYYY!!!".

Marty gives me that same mental picture. But instead of a leather jacket, he's wearing a dress, a clown nose, and leg warmers.

Chip R
12-14-2005, 12:20 AM
I heard a little bit about this tonight going to work and this thread confirms what I thought happened although I wasn't clear if Marty said these things while Sean was on the air or afterwards.

I'm not trying to be funny here but I seriously wonder if Marty had some sort of a mini stroke several years ago and not really know it. He seems to be like a lot of people who have had strokes where they say the first thing that pops into their heads, good, bad or indifferent. I wonder if this is the beginning of the end for Marty. Very sad.

ochre
12-14-2005, 02:31 AM
I wish I could remember the year, but I was watching a Cubs postgame on WGN with Harry Caray and Steve Sone. It was the last game before the All-Star break and the Cubs had just lost another game in what was already a horrible season for the team.

Stone and Caray were discussing the state of the MLB team and the roster. Stone very reasonably mentioned that the Cubs needed to bring up many of the youngsters who were sitting in AAA to give them experience during a lost season and that the veterans simply were not going to produce well enough to turn anything around. Stone was very calm, collected, and reasonable.

Harry Caray went nearly berserk. Really jumped all over Stone. Caray began ranting that what needed to happen is that the veteran players had to play better to earn their money and that bringing up prospects to play was a stupid idea because the vets were being paid good money to play baseball, yada yada yada. Stone attempted to reason with Caray, but could barely get a word or two out of his mouth before Caray cut him off- and this happened multiple times.

The look on Stone's face was priceless. He knew Caray had just jumped not only the shark, but three dolphins, a humpback whale, and a random confused platypus as well. To this day, I imagine that every day thereafter Steve Stone pictured Harry Carey as if he were wearing a leather jacket, swim trunks, and waterskis while being towed at high speed toward a ramp- with one thumb up yelling "AAAAYYYYYYYYY!!!".

Marty gives me that same mental picture. But instead of a leather jacket, he's wearing a dress, a clown nose, and leg warmers.
Ahh. I call that the Mike "what the hell did Kanye just say" Myers look.

Ron Madden
12-14-2005, 03:02 AM
I heard the interview with Casey.

There was no malice what so ever comming from Sean towards the Reds Organization, his teamates, the fans or the city.

Any time two fools argue it's pretty hard to declare a winner in the debate.

KronoRed
12-14-2005, 03:07 AM
Krono, you crack me up! :beerme:
I try TB :D

Crosley68
12-14-2005, 08:06 AM
When Sean used the term "salery dump" it became negative. It sounds like Marty was upset for Furman letting Casey take a "friendly" swat at the Reds without being questioned. Correct point but bad delivery by Marty IMHO.

lollipopcurve
12-14-2005, 08:43 AM
Marty trying to ingratiate himself to the new ownership.....

Unassisted
12-14-2005, 09:49 AM
That must have been some squirmalicious radio. But if Marty's salary ever gets dumped, this will be tame by comparison. I wonder if this is a sign that it is close to happening? Either that or it was the spiked eggnog talking. :beerme:

Doc. Scott
12-14-2005, 11:11 AM
I'll still take Furman getting dressed down, even if it's by Marty. Furman's a total charlatan; whether he's really "like that" in real life or not is immaterial.

Lance McAlister shows that you can be successful and entertaining in sports talk radio without creating a character or artificial controversy to draw calls.

fs43340
12-14-2005, 11:30 AM
As far as Casey's situation being a salary dump, well that's what it was. There is nothing wrong with that IMO. Just call it what it is

Excellent Point! It was a pure salary dump! I wish the ''radio talkheads'' would stop trying to defend that insane trade by saying we don't know if it's a bad trade yet,let's see what the next move is.

The next move is no move!

I heard one of the angry guys this morning callling Williams a fricking number 2starter and Casey was worth that. PLEASE! No pitcher in the N.L. with a fricking 4.50 career ERA IS NOT a number 2 starter!

westofyou
12-14-2005, 11:33 AM
Insane trade?

Dave Williams isn't Milt Pappas... but Sean Casey sure ain't Frank Robinson. So let's quit acting like he is.

fs43340
12-14-2005, 11:39 AM
Lance McAlister shows that you can be successful and entertaining in sports talk radio without creating a character or artificial controversy to draw calls.

Lance's WOW'S and cheerleading get to me. Jeff Picreo-sp has the best local show IMO. But as a whole, sports radio has gone down hill fast. Hosts go on and on on a topic waiting on some one to call. 1360/98 only has about 3 or 4 main guys who call in. Glenn from Mason, and Mike I think from Finneytown are 2.

BCubb2003
12-14-2005, 11:42 AM
To me a salary dump is where you're trying to get rid of salary to get down to a lower payroll. The point here is that Casey's salary wasn't dumped, it's still part of the payroll, being used for other needs. "Payflex" someone once called it.

fs43340
12-14-2005, 11:44 AM
Insane trade?

Dave Williams isn't Milt Pappas... but Sean Casey sure ain't Frank Robinson. So let's quit acting like he is.
I am not saying Casey is a Robbie. Personally, I didn't like Casey. He is a good player,but his rah rah personality got to me. But he is certainly is worth more than Williams. If not, the Reds might as kept him for the last year of his contract, if they aren't doing anything with the 8 million.

Chip R
12-14-2005, 11:46 AM
Excellent Point! It was a pure salary dump! I wish the ''radio talkheads'' would stop trying to defend that insane trade by saying we don't know if it's a bad trade yet,let's see what the next move is.

Whether it was or wasn't a salary dump is a different debate. My question is why Marty feels the need to defend the Reds on this and attack Furman for not being Mike Wallace over the air? All he accomplished was to make himself look like a bitter old man.

fs43340
12-14-2005, 11:47 AM
To me a salary dump is where you're trying to get rid of salary to get down to a lower payroll. The point here is that Casey's salary wasn't dumped, it's still part of the payroll, being used for other needs. "Payflex" someone once called it. Was ''other needs'' Womack a 37-38 year old player? Was ''other needs'' Aurilla another old guy.

The Bottom line is O'Brien needs to go!

scounts22
12-14-2005, 11:49 AM
That must have been some squirmalicious radio. But if Marty's salary ever gets dumped, this will be tame by comparison. I wonder if this is a sign that it is close to happening? Either that or it was the spiked eggnog talking. :beerme:

Nice word! :D

fs43340
12-14-2005, 11:50 AM
Whether it was or wasn't a salary dump is a different debate. My question is why Marty feels the need to defend the Reds on this and attack Furman for not being Mike Wallace over the air? All he accomplished was to make himself look like a bitter old man.
That I agree with, ever since Marty has made the Hall, he has a bit full of himself.

smith288
12-14-2005, 12:12 PM
Awesome... a Jon Stewart-on-Crossfire moment! Gooooo Marty!
So basically, twits all around?

deltachi8
12-14-2005, 12:14 PM
That I agree with, ever since Marty has made the Hall, he has a bit full of himself.

someone also needs to remiond Mary he was honored by the hall of fame, but not inducted into it.

KittyDuran
12-14-2005, 12:56 PM
Kinda of listening to Willie just now and he said that he will talk about this around 1:30pm (IIRC).

M2
12-14-2005, 01:01 PM
Seems to me Marty and Furman can only resolve this inside of Thunderdome. Two go in, one comes out.

Chip R
12-14-2005, 01:29 PM
Seems to me Marty and Furman can only resolve this inside of Thunderdome. Two go in, one comes out.
Does one have to come out?

registerthis
12-14-2005, 01:51 PM
So basically, twits all around?

Nope, Stewart essentially showed up the entire Crossfire team. It was great.

redsfan30
12-14-2005, 01:54 PM
I just listened to the tape on WLW. I've been on record many a time in Marty's court. I am a Marty Brennaman supporter.

But he was completely out of line.

KittyDuran
12-14-2005, 01:57 PM
Well... I just listened to the playback on Willie's show. IMHO it seems like a "set-up", i.e. FAKE - which WLW seems to be experts at. Tho' I have to give Marty props for some of the zingers he leveled at Furrball, whether he meant it or not. :thumbup:

Also, Marty mentions Fay and McCoy and pretty much eludes that they are not in the "know" since they called Casey's trade a salary dump - Marty dissing Fay might be feasible, but he rarely says anything bad about McCoy.:confused:

fs43340
12-14-2005, 02:02 PM
Did you guys actually think that the Reds were ''serious'' player in getting Morris? I don't! Everyone knows the Reds mangement is a joke!

M2
12-14-2005, 02:30 PM
Did you guys actually think that the Reds were ''serious'' player in getting Morris? I don't! Everyone knows the Reds mangement is a joke!

Yeah, but the team's still paying out in American greenbacks.

You're as "serious" a contender for a player's services as the dollar figure you offer says you are. Supposedly the Reds made a fat offer.

fs43340
12-14-2005, 03:06 PM
Yeah, but the team's still paying out in American greenbacks.

You're as "serious" a contender for a player's services as the dollar figure you offer says you are. Supposedly the Reds made a fat offer. How would we know that if the offer was not accepted?

redsfan30
12-14-2005, 03:12 PM
How would we know that if the offer was not accepted?
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051213/SPT04/512130380/1071

Matt700wlw
12-14-2005, 03:13 PM
Well... I just listened to the playback on Willie's show. IMHO it seems like a "set-up", i.e. FAKE - which WLW seems to be experts at. Tho' I have to give Marty props for some of the zingers he leveled at Furrball, whether he meant it or not. :thumbup:

Trust me. It was not set up....you can believe me if you want, but I'm being honest.

It did make for an interesting night, though.

fs43340
12-14-2005, 03:58 PM
The offer ''was to believed'' to be at the range of 25 million over 3 year. Come on, nobody knows if it is true or not when the pharse ''was to believed' was used.

M2
12-14-2005, 04:32 PM
The offer ''was to believed'' to be at the range of 25 million over 3 year. Come on, nobody knows if it is true or not when the pharse ''was to believed' was used.

The way it generally works is the team confirms that it made an offer on the record and then gives a ballpark estimate on the amount off the record. I don't know of a single newspaper anywhere that would run that number if someone in the Reds front office hadn't vouched for its accuracy.

redsfanmia
12-14-2005, 04:47 PM
Marty needs to go he is a bitter old man who's time has passed, thats all because its an old subject, Marty just keeps hammering home the fact though everytime he opens his mouth.

M2
12-14-2005, 04:53 PM
Just actually devoted a brain cell to what Marty said.

Now correct me if I'm wrong here, but if you move out a guy's salary in order to clear space to sign someone else isn't that the very definition of a salary dump? I mean, that would seem to be a case of trading a guy in order get access to the salary that would otherwise be headed his way. Doesn't sound like Casey made any representations about what the Reds would do with that money now that it wasn't be paid to him or that he speculated on why the Reds dumped the contract.

Unassisted
12-14-2005, 05:56 PM
Maybe it's all a matter of semantics? Marty seems to be actually catching on to the notion that a "salary dump" is not always a bad thing. "Shedding salary" sounds much more positive and is more in line with the majority opinion here. It's not too hard to understand why the MLBPA wouldn't be in favor of any terminology that sounds like clubs are being burdened by high salaries, though.

fs43340
12-14-2005, 05:57 PM
The way it generally works is the team confirms that it made an offer on the record and then gives a ballpark estimate on the amount off the record. I don't know of a single newspaper anywhere that would run that number if someone in the Reds front office hadn't vouched for its accuracy.
I believe the Reds front office said it was 25 million to the press after he signed with SF as a lame P.R. move, to say we tried which is pure trash IMO.

ochre
12-14-2005, 06:18 PM
Just actually devoted a brain cell to what Marty said.

Now correct me if I'm wrong here, but if you move out a guy's salary in order to clear space to sign someone else isn't that the very definition of a salary dump? I mean, that would seem to be a case of trading a guy in order get access to the salary that would otherwise be headed his way. Doesn't sound like Casey made any representations about what the Reds would do with that money now that it wasn't be paid to him or that he speculated on why the Reds dumped the contract.
Hence:

Davey Concepcion
12-14-2005, 08:53 PM
Didn't hear the interview, don't really care to. But I loved it. Furman is an absolute idiot. I won't listen to his show. Anytime that Furman is humbled, I like it. He should be shipped out of town on the next bus. He's the main reason that I only listen to WLW when the Reds are playing. I can't stand it otherwise.

WVRedsFan
12-14-2005, 11:32 PM
Getting rid of Casey's heavy salry was definately a right move organizational wise. The way Marty went about airing his opinion, as far as I'm concerned was totally unprofessional, and to me that reflects the way Marty has become over the last 5 or 6 years at least.

Gang:

There's more to this than Marty jumping Furman without warning. There must be some history here we don't know about.

Or...it was a staged event to give Jim Scott and Willie something to do tomorrow.

Take your pick...

SteelSD
12-15-2005, 12:27 AM
I believe the Reds front office said it was 25 million to the press after he signed with SF as a lame P.R. move, to say we tried which is pure trash IMO.

The Reds paid Eric Milton @25M over three years and we now have a published report that they tried to do the same thing with Matt Morris. Dan O'Brien said, "We made a bonafide offer - no question."

During a bidding process, you don't get to the point of being there late if you know a player wants about 25M while you make an offer of 12M. Nor would you use a phrase like "bonafide offer" to describe an offer that wouldn't even be considered by the player you're pusuing.

You're acting as if it were impossible that the Reds made such an offer even though they were absolutely in the running for Morris near the end of the bidding process and even though they've already shown a penchant for spending a lot of money stupidly.

At some point irrational disbelief has to be overtaken by reason.

Chip R
12-15-2005, 08:07 AM

And you've been on this board since March of 2002? ;)

LoganBuck
12-15-2005, 01:11 PM
Marty was on with Jeff Piccoro today. He admitted he was wrong, and made sure to go out of his way to say that he and Furman made peace.

Marty reaffirmed his position that the trade was not a salary dump. Pointed to attempts at signing Morris as proof. Claims that the Reds offered him, Carl Pavano, and Matt Clement more than they signed for in other towns.

Marty thinks that Womack will bounce back. Says he has known Womack since his days in AZ thanks to Thom. Marty is convinced that nagging injuries and the pressure of playing in New York just didn't work for him. He said that he anticipates a bounce back year. How much so is to be seen.

Pic asked Marty if he thought the Reds were done acquiring talent. Marty said he would not rule out a trade, but he was sure that the Reds would not make a play for the Boras's 3 pitchers.

Marty thinks Jim Rice needs to be in the HOF.

registerthis
12-15-2005, 01:15 PM

Not around here it doesn't.

registerthis
12-15-2005, 01:17 PM
Marty was on with Jeff Piccoro today. He admitted he was wrong, and made sure to go out of his way to say that he and Furman made peace.

I've got no man-love for Furman, but it would be nice for Marty to make this apology on Furman's own show. I didn't hear the interview, but the whole thing sounded unwarranted to me, unless there's a part that I don't know about.

puca
12-15-2005, 02:03 PM

Marty reaffirmed his position that the trade was not a salary dump. Pointed to attempts at signing Morris as proof. Claims that the Reds offered him, Carl Pavano, and Matt Clement more than they signed for in other towns.

Marty thinks that Womack will bounce back. Says he has known Womack since his days in AZ thanks to Thom. Marty is convinced that nagging injuries and the pressure of playing in New York just didn't work for him. He said that he anticipates a bounce back year. How much so is to be seen.

Pic asked Marty if he thought the Reds were done acquiring talent. Marty said he would not rule out a trade, but he was sure that the Reds would not make a play for the Boras's 3 pitchers.

Marty thinks Jim Rice needs to be in the HOF.

Bounce back to what? His one, single career year (2004), or his career norms. He was closer to his career norms last year than he was in 2004. It is really not that big of a bounce.

GAC
12-17-2005, 05:23 AM

In this particular situation I think most would like to see two go in and NONE come out! :lol: