PDA

View Full Version : Bengal Chris Henry arrested

Reds Fanatic
12-15-2005, 09:40 PM
Bengals rookie Chris Henry has been arrested for marijuana possession.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/2005/local/12/15/henry.html

Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry was arrested for marijuana possession early Thursday morning.

Police arrested Henry, 22, in the 300 block of Philadelphia Street in Covington.

He posted at least 10 percent of a $1,000 bond and was released from jail.

Henry is a Bengals rookie from West Virginia University.

It's unclear how the drug arrest will affect Henry's season.

WVRed
12-15-2005, 09:44 PM
I knew this was the downside to the Henry pick.

He has all the potential to be a great receiver and complement to this offense, and he has to go out and do something dumb.:bang:

redsfan30
12-15-2005, 10:32 PM
Great.......

Good job, Chris :rolleyes:

Blimpie
12-15-2005, 10:45 PM
I heard that Bob Denver used to be his supplier...

TeamBoone
12-15-2005, 11:48 PM
Per the local TV news, he was initially stopped for a traffic violation around 2 AM, though the website article below from the same TV channel I watched says midnight; the cop(s) smelled the pot, searched the car, and eventually found it in his shoe so it couldn't have been too much, but I guess that doesn't matter.

They interviewed his Mom and the Bengals issued a statement that couldn't issue a statement while the matter was under litigation. It is not yet known if he'll play on Sunday.

Bengal Faces Drug Charge

LAST UPDATE: 12/15/2005 11:19:38 PM

Bengal's receiver Chris Henry was picked up for allegedly having marijuana in his possesion.

Covington officers arrested him around midnight Thursday. Henry posted $144 bond for his release.

His mother tells Local 12 that the family will stand behind Henry during this difficult time. "I think we're going to deal with this in a positive way, not a negative way. We gonna come together as one, like Katrina brought us together as one. This is gonna bring us together even closer." said Carolyn Henry Thursday night.

Sources tell us Henry did practice with the Bengal's Thursday.

A Bengal's spokesman says the team will not comment until the matter is resolved in court. He is expected face a judge Friday morning for arraignment.

The rookie receiver has 30 catches, 395-yards, and five touchdowns putting him third on the team.

Coach Marvin Lewis is always very tight lipped when it comes to injuries and discipline. That means there's a good chance we won't know whether Chris Henry gets to play Sunday, until the team takes the field against the Detroit Lions.

Kick off is 4:00pm on Local 12.

Yachtzee
12-16-2005, 12:47 AM
Per the local TV news, he was initially stopped for a traffic violation around 2 AM, though the website article below from the same TV channel I watched says midnight; the cop(s) smelled the pot, searched the car, and eventually found it in his shoe so it couldn't have been too much, but I guess that doesn't matter.

They interviewed his Mom and the Bengals issued a statement that couldn't issue a statement while the matter was under litigation. It is not yet known if he'll play on Sunday.

Besides the fact that you are driving impaired and can hurt someone, this right here is a good reason not to smoke pot in your car. Once the police smell it, they can search you and your car for it.

KronoRed
12-16-2005, 02:51 AM
He's a professional athlete, fans will look past it and say "well it's not like he killed anyone" and he'll get off with a tap on the wrist.

deltachi8
12-16-2005, 09:05 AM
What a SHOCK!

This guy could have been re-named Milo coming out of college.

GAC
12-16-2005, 10:41 AM
http://www.moviewavs.com/0078546128/WAVS/Movies/Cheech_And_Chong/dogpoop.wav

http://www.n-sider.com/media/hearts18stoned.jpg

Hap
12-16-2005, 11:39 AM
I sense that people are over-reacting and over-condemning.

As the bumper sticker in Spencer Gifts says, "Marijuana: Hey! At Least It Ain't Crack!"

deltachi8
12-16-2005, 12:11 PM
it aint legal either...

WMR
12-16-2005, 12:13 PM
He's a professional athlete, fans will look past it and say "well it's not like he killed anyone" and he'll get off with a tap on the wrist.

That's what every other citizen gets for a 1st marijuana possession charge.

If anything, the repercussions from a charge such as this will be more detrimental and harmful to a rookie like Chris Henry playing in a football town as uber-conservative as Cincinnati.

He screwed up, there's no denying that. He stands to miss, what, 1/4 of a season? How many hundreds of thousands of dollars will that end up equating to?

Hopefully this will be a wake-up call for him; he shouldn't be overly-vilified for this relatively harmless--albeit incredibly boneheaded--lapse in judgment.

deltachi8
12-16-2005, 12:31 PM
The thing with Henry is that he was a problem waiting to happen. He was problem in college, and so on. I think the reason people are coming down hard on him, is this is no suprise.

WMR
12-16-2005, 12:42 PM
The thing with Henry is that he was a problem waiting to happen. He was problem in college, and so on. I think the reason people are coming down hard on him, is this is no suprise.

Was he ever in trouble off the field? I know he had some on-field behavior problems.

He has a history that is less than stellar. I just don't want to see a pot possession charge combined with a history of behavior-problems in college turn into some sort of insurmountable hurdle for this kid (22 y/o) to be forced to try and overcome for the rest of his career. That would be wrong.

Boss-Hog
12-16-2005, 01:15 PM
That's what every other citizen gets for a 1st marijuana possession charge.

If anything, the repercussions from a charge such as this will be more detrimental and harmful to a rookie like Chris Henry playing in a football town as uber-conservative as Cincinnati.

He screwed up, there's no denying that. He stands to miss, what, 1/4 of a season? How many hundreds of thousands of dollars will that end up equating to?

Hopefully this will be a wake-up call for him; he shouldn't be overly-vilified for this relatively harmless--albeit incredibly boneheaded--lapse in judgment.
He won't miss four games. That's only for second time drug offenders in the NFL's drug abuse program.

WMR
12-16-2005, 01:28 PM
He won't miss four games. That's only for second time drug offenders in the NFL's drug abuse program.

I wonder how the NFL differentiates punishment between drug offenders in the NFL's drug abuse program and those who have been punished criminally for a drug violation?

Does a criminal drug violation merely get you into the 1st stage of the program or does the criminal violation ratchet up the punishment, even for 1st time offenders?

Boss-Hog
12-16-2005, 01:36 PM
I wonder how the NFL differentiates punishment between drug offenders in the NFL's drug abuse program and those who have been punished criminally for a drug violation?

Does a criminal drug violation merely get you into the 1st stage of the program or does the criminal violation ratchet up the punishment, even for 1st time offenders?
I'm not sure on that one.

Reds Fanatic
12-16-2005, 01:49 PM

I got this from an article on the Bengals website:

According to league policy, the arrest puts Henry into a treatment plan that can’t exceed 90 days, but can be revised up to six months. If player is charged with criminal activity, he’s required to attend clinical evaluation. Failure to comply with the treatment plan or clinical evaluation can result in a fine or suspension.

A conviction or any admission of guilt can result in a fine, suspension, or banishment from the NFL as called by the commissioner, according to the NFL policy.

It also said the Bengals and NFL would not take action until his court case is done and his preliminary hearing is in January. But Marvin still may suspend him from playing this week. It sounds like he has not made up his mind yet.

WMR
12-16-2005, 01:50 PM
Hmm... sort of nebulous.

According to league policy, the arrest puts Henry into a treatment plan that can’t exceed 90 days, but can be revised up to six months. If player is charged with criminal activity, he’s required to attend clinical evaluation. Failure to comply with the treatment plan or clinical evaluation can result in a fine or suspension.

A conviction or any admission of guilt can result in a fine, suspension, or banishment from the NFL as called by the commissioner, according to the NFL policy.

Looks like he could be facing any number of possible punishments with a successful prosecution of the alleged charges.

WMR
12-16-2005, 01:51 PM
LOL, Reds Fanatic, you know what they say about great minds don't you? ;)

Joseph
12-16-2005, 01:51 PM
If he's convicted of this he will be entered into the substance abuse program, as I understand it. So he'll have one strike against him in the eyes of the NFL.

WMR
12-16-2005, 01:53 PM
If he's convicted of this he will be entered into the substance abuse program, as I understand it. So he'll have one strike against him in the eyes of the NFL.

From that highlighted text it appears that he could face any number of possible punishments from the NFL if convicted.

WMR
12-16-2005, 01:56 PM
You gotta think that any sort of drug-related conviction, even a pot-charge, would carry a suspension of at least a couple games.

OldRightHander
12-16-2005, 02:03 PM
I would bet that regardless of what the NFL does, Marvin will most likely impose some sort of disciplinary action, possibly make him sit out the Detroit game.

Blimpie
12-16-2005, 02:44 PM
I would bet that regardless of what the NFL does, Marvin will most likely impose some sort of disciplinary action, possibly make him sit out the Detroit game.That'd be the one I would pick, as well. ;)

Matt700wlw
12-16-2005, 03:15 PM
it aint legal either...

Should be....

...but that's not the point :D

zombie-a-go-go
12-16-2005, 03:29 PM
You gotta think that any sort of drug-related conviction, even a pot-charge, would carry a suspension of at least a couple games.

And you'd think Ray Lewis would be in jail, too. Wacky world we live in.

WMR
12-16-2005, 03:47 PM
And you'd think Ray Lewis would be in jail, too. Wacky world we live in.

Why would Ray Lewis be in jail? He's innocent. :devil:

KronoRed
12-16-2005, 04:08 PM
Why would Ray Lewis be in jail? He's innocent. :devil:
Yeah and I'm Batman

WMR
12-16-2005, 04:36 PM
Yeah and I'm Batman

http://photos.iwanttoseemykids.com/2003_10_21_batman_robin/original_batman_and_robin.jpg

What a nice costume!

Yachtzee
12-16-2005, 09:02 PM
I get the feeling that Bengals fans might be a bit wary of jumping on the Chris Henry Bandwagon after this. This is a team that had to deal with the heartbreak of Stanley Wilson. While crack is certainly different from pot, some people don't differentiate when it comes to illicit substances. I know the first thing I thought when I heard "Chris Henry" and "drug arrest" was, with this being a playoff season, "Stanley Wilson." Couldn't help it. For those of us old enough to remember, that was really something that hurt, especially on the eve of the Super Bowl.

KronoRed
12-16-2005, 09:08 PM
You look good too Robin

:D

deltachi8
12-16-2005, 09:09 PM
Should be....

...but that's not the point :D

maybee in your world...

Weed is not as serious an offense as there is in the NFL certainly. Read Pros and COns sometime, it makes it hard to be an NFL fan. Where does one draw the line at punishing rule breakers?

I dont have the answer, but I know when you do this, you pay the price, and then are given the chance to move on. DO it again, and you would be done in my book.

deltachi8
12-16-2005, 09:11 PM
I get the feeling that Bengals fans might be a bit wary of jumping on the Chris Henry Bandwagon after this. This is a team that had to deal with the heartbreak of Stanley Wilson. While crack is certainly different from pot, some people don't differentiate when it comes to illicit substances. I know the first thing I thought when I heard "Chris Henry" and "drug arrest" was, with this being a playoff season, "Stanley Wilson." Couldn't help it. For those of us old enough to remember, that was really something that hurt, especially on the eve of the Super Bowl.

Im not even a bengals fan and that one hurt here too.

Matt700wlw
12-17-2005, 01:04 PM
maybee in your world...

Weed is not as serious an offense as there is in the NFL certainly. Read Pros and COns sometime, it makes it hard to be an NFL fan. Where does one draw the line at punishing rule breakers?

I dont have the answer, but I know when you do this, you pay the price, and then are given the chance to move on. DO it again, and you would be done in my book.

I never said he shouldn't be punished. He broke the law, and he broke NFL rules. Period.

KittyDuran
12-18-2005, 09:49 AM
I get the feeling that Bengals fans might be a bit wary of jumping on the Chris Henry Bandwagon after this. This is a team that had to deal with the heartbreak of Stanley Wilson. While crack is certainly different from pot, some people don't differentiate when it comes to illicit substances. I know the first thing I thought when I heard "Chris Henry" and "drug arrest" was, with this being a playoff season, "Stanley Wilson." Couldn't help it. For those of us old enough to remember, that was really something that hurt, especially on the eve of the Super Bowl.I wish I could find the Borgman cartoon of that incident - it's not in the archives of the Enquirer. I have it in his Cincinnati book - might just scan that.

KittyDuran
12-18-2005, 09:50 AM
I would bet that regardless of what the NFL does, Marvin will most likely impose some sort of disciplinary action, possibly make him sit out the Detroit game.That would also be a good time for the other receivers to step up, just in case.

WMR
12-18-2005, 01:51 PM
Report: Henry inactive
By GEOFF HOBSON
December 18, 2005

1 p.m.

DETROIT _ It appears that Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis is trying to win the AFC North Division title and send a message on the same day.

CBS reported Sunday that rookie wide receiver Chris Henry is inactive for the game here against the Lions, a report the Bengals won’t confirm until the inactive list is released about 90 minutes before game time at Ford Field at 2:30 p.m.

Henry, arrested on a possession of marijuana charge early Thursday morning, made the trip but it appears Kelley Washington is going to take his spot as one of the five receivers. Whether Washington, Kevin Walter, or rookie Tab Perry is going to be the third wide receiver with Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh remains to be seen.

The Bengals lose Henry’s 30 catches and five touchdowns, although Perry and Walter have each scored a touchdown this season. But Walter’s 15 catches, Washington’s five and Perry’s two still leave the trio eight shy of Henry’s output. The Bengals don’t want to beat down Perry and Walter, since they are each tied for second with 15 special tackles, one behind leader Marcus Wilkins.