PDA

View Full Version : Quality Of Posts (And Suggestions For Improvement)

dman
12-18-2005, 11:28 PM
First and foremost: Thanks to Old Right hander for putting me at the 200 rep points recently (and to everybody else who had a hand in it).

Now on to the main course. When BossHog and company decided to do this rep point system a while back, I was not a big fan of it. Now, after seeing the results it is clear that the quality of the posts has dramatically became better. I try to be more concientous and courteous of the posts that I make, and it appears that most everyone else is doing the same.

Now for my gripe that I have, and this mostly applies to the baseball forums but I wasn't sure if I should put the thread on those boards or not.

A lot of times I see posts where a person suggests trading Player X for Player Y with good intention. It never fails that somewhere along the line you will see some kind of sarcasm posted like "in other news Hell just froze over".

Is this really necessary?????????? If you don't agree with the trade, then why not articulate why you don't and we can have a reasonable debate as to why?????

This board seems to have a pretty good split between those who know how to decipher all of the stats and those who don't (like me). Instead of being sarcastic with a poster because they lack the same knowledge of all the acronyms that you do, why not just impart some of that knowledge to them???

I hope this isn't taken the wrong way, just an area that I see where a great forum can be made even better. Boss and all the admins and mods do a very professional job with this board and I just see this as a way of policing ourselves and making their jobs much easier.

Unassisted
12-19-2005, 10:57 AM
I need help understanding what you're suggesting here. Are you objecting to all posts saying they are opposed to a trade idea or are you objecting to posts that are say the idea is bad without supplying a reason?

OldRightHander
12-19-2005, 11:00 AM
I think he's complaining about some of the biting sarcasm that is sometimes directed at someone's trade ideas and the like. Disagree, but not in a disagreeable manner. At least that's the way I read it.

Johnny Footstool
12-19-2005, 11:42 AM
A lot of times I see posts where a person suggests trading Player X for Player Y with good intention. It never fails that somewhere along the line you will see some kind of sarcasm posted like "in other news Hell just froze over".

Is this really necessary?????????? If you don't agree with the trade, then why not articulate why you don't and we can have a reasonable debate as to why?????

When you see posts like that, give the poster negative rep points.

Heath
12-20-2005, 09:51 PM
What's the problem with sarcasm? If you aren't ripping someone personally, there shouldn't be a charge. I'm guilty as others when it comes to sarcasm. To some, sarcasm is better than the usual "status quo" DanO-is-a-loser-GM-quotes used over and over again.

Nothing against, say Krusty, but some of the trades are REALLY over the top. Krusty does take his part of the abuse, I'm not real sure of the sarcasm is directly pointed to him as a person. Heck, as much as I disagree with Krusty's trades, he at least has the cajones to spend someone's valuable electrons and get some of us thinking.

Plus, you figure the subject material that is the Cincinnati Reds, isn't exactly in top notch form. To relieve depression or outright disgust, sarcasm can be used as masking agent so we don't punch our computer monitors or kick the dog.

Just remember, there is a worse case scenario. You get Krono ;) :thumbup:

KronoRed
12-20-2005, 10:11 PM
Just remember, there is a worse case scenario. You get Krono ;) :thumbup:
I sense great smart alecness in you padawan

;)

pedro
12-20-2005, 10:14 PM
When you see posts like that, give the poster negative rep points.

or send them a PM. either way, everyone here has the right to let others know what they think and believe me, they do. don't worry about it. :)

Caveat Emperor
12-20-2005, 11:09 PM
As a stupid and pointless aside, has anyone else noticed that Unassisted's "rotated 90 degrees" Reds logo bears a striking resemblence to a toilet seat?

A statement about the product, perhaps?

zombie-a-go-go
12-21-2005, 11:54 AM
Is this really necessary??????????

What, 10 punctuation marks after one sentence? I don't know that I'd call it necessary, but it certainly is attention-getting.

;)

Unassisted
12-21-2005, 12:05 PM
As a stupid and pointless aside, has anyone else noticed that Unassisted's "rotated 90 degrees" Reds logo bears a striking resemblence to a toilet seat?

A statement about the product, perhaps?Hadn't noticed that myself, but now that you mention it... :)

Cool avatar idea for times of pessimism. Maybe I'll work on that after I get home and retire the Creindeer. Thanks!

remdog
12-21-2005, 12:12 PM
Actually, to me, it resembles the 'wishbone' that you pull in hopes that your dreams will come true. Which says a lot about the state of being a Reds fan these days. :laugh:

Rem

savafan
12-21-2005, 12:20 PM
What, 10 punctuation marks after one sentence? I don't know that I'd call it necessary, but it certainly is attention-getting.

;)
:laugh: I love sarcasm!