PDA

View Full Version : Leaving early

OldRightHander
07-29-2005, 12:09 PM
For starters, this story has nothing to do with the trading deadline or Adam Dunn. Anyway, we have to go back a few years on this one, 1994 to be exact. I was living over in Kentucky back then, in an apartment out in Erlanger. I worked a third shift job, so I would go to a lot of day games or night games on my off nights. I didn't have a car in those days, so I often would ride the bus home from the games. This particular game was a Friday night against the Expos. The Reds tied it late and went into extras. I was nervously looking at my watch, realizing that if the game went too long, I might miss the last bus out of downtown. By the 12th inning, I had a decision to make. I had to leave then to catch that bus, but the game wasn't over. I concurred that since I only lived eight miles from the stadium and it was a pleasant night out, I could just walk home if I missed the bus. The walk would only take a couple hours and I didn't really have anything better to do.

So Reggie Sanders sent me on my trek with a walk off bomb in the bottom of the 13th and off I was. I walked across the bridge, through Covington, and out to Pike Street and up the hill to Dixie Highway. I got up the hill into Ft. Wright and decided that I would stop for a snack and a soft drink to keep me company, and I wandered into a Shell gas station for a coke and a couple candy bars. I was a very healthy eater in those days. By this time, I've been walking for about an hour and a half and it was now close to 2:00 am. There also happened to be a police officer who thought it was somewhat odd to see someone taking a stroll down Dixie Highway at 2:00 am drinking a coke and eating a candy bar, so he stopped to see what was up. I said, "No problem. I'm just on my way home from the Reds game." He gave me a weird look and said, "That game got over an hour and a half ago. Why are you walking." I explained that I didn't have a car and that I had missed the last bus to see the end of the game and he didn't like that answer too much and asked to see my I.D.

Now wouldn't you know that he just had to take my I.D. and run it through his cop computer to see if I was up to anything, and apparently I was up to something because he came back out and put the cuffs on me and took me back down to Covington. I was asking him what was up because I had never done anything and he just kept repeating that there was a warrant out for me and he was taking me in. I asked him what the warrant was for and he said that it was from the Kenton County library. I then remembered something. It turns out that when I have moved out of an apartment a couple years before, I had left a couple library books in a closet and the landlord had turned one of them back in but the other one remained missing. The darn library issued a warrant for my arrest because I had a library book checked out for over two years!

So there I was, sitting in a holding cell with a cast of characters I will never forget. Most of them were drunk and sleeping, but a couple of them were awake. One of them had bruises on his face and he told me, "My old lady beat me up and I'm the one who gets arrested." I kept my distance. One of them asked me what I was brought in for and I said, "Overdue library book." That elicited much laughter and made me the hit of the holding cell, at least until they figured out I didn't have any smokes anyone could borrow. When we went to see the judge at 8:00 am, he took one look at my case and just laughed. He dismissed all charges and told me to just be sure to go to the library and pay them for the book.

Is there a point to this story? Maybe, but I'm having trouble figuring out exactly what it is. Maybe it is to illustrate what we will go through for baseball sometimes. Maybe it's to show you why you should return your library books. Or maybe it's to say that you should always be sure of your transportation home when you go to a night game. Or maybe it's this. Never leave a game early. You never know what will happen if you stay 'til the end.

flyer85
07-29-2005, 12:14 PM
I think the moral of the story is being a hopeless Reds fan will get you arrested in Kentucky. :nono:

Roy Tucker
07-29-2005, 12:16 PM
Great story ORH.

Was the the Group W bench at the jail?

Redsland
07-29-2005, 12:20 PM
One of them asked me what I was brought in for and I said…
"Crime and Punishment." They all kept their distance after that. The end.

:D

RedFanAlways1966
07-29-2005, 12:42 PM
That is a great story! Thanks for sharing and making me smile. Sorry that you had to spend the night in the drunk tank, but years later it is definitely a great tale to tell.

:thumbup:

OldRightHander
07-29-2005, 12:43 PM
That is a great story! Thanks for sharing and making me smile. Sorry that you had to spend the night in the drunk tank, but years later it is definitely a great tale to tell.

:thumbup:

Well, it's funny now looking back, but I wasn't laughing at the moment.

RBA
07-29-2005, 12:47 PM
I hope you learned your lesson. Return them library books. I have no problem with the government arresting/detaining criminals such as yourself. Now, excuse me, I just got some inside information on a stock deal, I stand to make 100 grand on it. ;)

KronoRed
07-29-2005, 12:51 PM
I think the moral of the story is being a hopeless Reds fan will get you arrested in Kentucky. :nono:

If so I'm in deep trouble :lol:

Good story ORG :laugh:

smith288
07-29-2005, 12:55 PM
One of them asked me what I was brought in for ...

"He shouldnt have said that about her... now his chalk line will haunt that sidewalk forever..."

(hindsight is 20/20) :lol:

cumberlandreds
07-29-2005, 01:00 PM
Great story! I would have never thought you were such a felon! ;) I grew up in Kentucky. I had better check to see if I have turned in all those Winnie The Pooh books I borrowed from the library when I was a youngster. :D

REDREAD
07-29-2005, 01:19 PM
As a grad student, I had a special card in the university that let me check out books for 3 or 4 months (I forget). Naturally, that led to much procrastination in returning them. On the last day of spring semester, I returned a whole carload of books. Apparently, the moron that shelved them didn't credit me for turning them back in.
When I went back to the library on the following October, I was marked as having over $2000 in library fines :laugh: The librarian wondered why I was even allowed to register. It took me 4 hours to pull all those books off the shelves and prove to them that they were all turned in and to get them to fix their system.

creek14
07-29-2005, 05:17 PM
Seems being a speedy utility player on a hopeless Reds team can get you arrested there too.

Anyway, great story.

And when they asked what you were in for you should have said, cause I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.

KronoRed
07-29-2005, 05:37 PM
Hey now..Freel deserved to be arrested ;)

Poor ORH was taking his time reading some books :lol:

creek14
07-29-2005, 05:50 PM
Hey now..Freel deserved to be arrested ;)
Oh, I agree.

SunDeck
07-29-2005, 06:00 PM
Libraries can't issue warrants for arrests. Mostly, we just give your SSN to collection agencies and ruin your credit.

KronoRed
07-29-2005, 06:12 PM
Libraries can't issue warrants for arrests. Mostly, we just give your SSN to collection agencies and ruin your credit.

Even better :devil:

CrackerJack
07-29-2005, 06:27 PM
ORH you are a baaaad man!

But in all seriousness it's kind of scary you can get stopped, booked and thrown in jail just for walking home at a late hour and having an overdue book at the library - warrant or not - I can't see why they couldn't just cite someone for that - surely there are more important things an officer should be doing at that hour you'd think.

GADawg
07-29-2005, 06:38 PM
c'mon man! finish the story! so did the cops give you a ride home after court or did you have to finish your walk?!

btw...I didn't get arrested but I once got "served" and had to appear at court for failing to fill out one of those jury questionairre forms. The judge was ticked and chewed on my butt for 20 minutes.

My one great brush with the law....could have the thinnest file over there in the 'ole FBI vault.

PuffyPig
07-29-2005, 06:39 PM
You should have hired a lawyer.

You would have been driving a big car soon after.

CrackerJack
07-29-2005, 08:02 PM
btw...I didn't get arrested but I once got "served" and had to appear at court for failing to fill out one of those jury questionairre forms. The judge was ticked and chewed on my butt for 20 minutes.

Ah HA! The shadowy criminal backbone of Redzone is coming out now!

What's next???? Someone got arrested and booked for pulling off a matress tag???

How many more notorious criminals are in our midst I wonder??

KronoRed
07-29-2005, 08:45 PM
I got a speeding ticket once

I'm sorry..I've been hiding it from you all :lol:

creek14
07-29-2005, 08:59 PM
I was hauled into the police station for toilet papering a house. The police went to our house and woke up my mom (my dad was out of town on business) and said we have your daughter at the police station. And poor mom said "no she's in bed" Ooops.

But the story continues. Seems my dad got pretty mad when he found out the homeowner had twisted my arm to the point of leaving bruises. So a couple weeks later he and I stood in the yard next door and threw these detergent tablets (I don't think they make them anymore) into Mr Arm Twisters pool.

Dad rawked.

gm
07-29-2005, 10:14 PM
As a grad student, I had a special card in the university that let me check out books for 3 or 4 months (I forget). Naturally, that led to much procrastination in returning them. On the last day of spring semester, I returned a whole carload of books. Apparently, the moron that shelved them didn't credit me for turning them back in.
When I went back to the library on the following October, I was marked as having over $2000 in library fines :laugh: The librarian wondered why I was even allowed to register. It took me 4 hours to pull all those books off the shelves and prove to them that they were all turned in and to get them to fix their system.

This helps to explain your unrelenting crusade against "the Man" ;)

RFS62
07-29-2005, 10:23 PM
This helps to explain your unrelenting crusade against "the Man" ;)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Could the librarian's name have possibly been Allen?