PDA

View Full Version : Free Agents

Sean_CaseyRules
12-30-2005, 05:35 PM
I was watching ESPNEWS this afternoon and they had the Top Ten free agent list on there, lol although i can only remember a few.... Rodger Clemens, Sammy Sosa, Mike Cameron, Tino Martinez.
I was wandering why the reds arent going after any of them......

Mario-Rijo
12-30-2005, 06:00 PM
Mike Cameron isn't a FA. He is a Padre I believe.

Patrick Bateman
12-30-2005, 06:05 PM
I was watching ESPNEWS this afternoon and they had the Top Ten free agent list on there, lol although i can only remember a few.... Rodger Clemens, Sammy Sosa, Mike Cameron, Tino Martinez.
I was wandering why the reds arent going after any of them......

No use for Martinez and Sosa. They would be unneeded back-ups.

As for Clemens, he has made it clear where he wants to play and it aint in Cincy. Not to mention the 20M price tag on him.

Sean_CaseyRules
12-30-2005, 06:07 PM
why no use for tino? he can play first base. And everytime Sosa comes to Cincy it seems like he hits a homer everytime......it would be nice to have him for some run support......

UGADaddy
12-30-2005, 06:13 PM
But where would he play? The Reds just dealt Casey so that they could play Dunn (now 1B), Pena (now LF), Griffey (CF), and Kearns (RF) everyday. That would make absolutely sense to take on either a firstbaseman or an outfielder. If the Reds were going to do that, they wouldn't have traded away their most popular player. (Not to mention, both of those players you named are old, on downward slopes in their careers, and/but happen to have hefty price tags on them.)

Patrick Bateman
12-30-2005, 06:52 PM
why no use for tino? he can play first base. And everytime Sosa comes to Cincy it seems like he hits a homer everytime......it would be nice to have him for some run support......

Our offense was one of the best last year. Sosa would make it worse. If the reds need an OF spare he better be a good fielder since we have all the hitters we need.

I don't see much use for having a back-up 1st baseman that can't play other positions.

Sean_CaseyRules
12-30-2005, 07:01 PM
Well honestly i think that we may see another OF go this offseason.....

TeamBoone
12-30-2005, 08:19 PM
Well honestly i think that we may see another OF go this offseason.....

Regardless, UGADaddy is right on all counts. We have others who can play in the outfield. Don't waste your money.

deltachi8
12-30-2005, 08:37 PM
Rocket will not come to Cincy even for $20M.

The rest...can they pitch?

Sean_CaseyRules
12-30-2005, 08:45 PM
Maybe i am just looking for the Reds to make a move this offseason that would help them, even if its +0.000001%

Patrick Bateman
12-30-2005, 09:51 PM
That's fine, but I think you need to look at different players. I don't think the guys you mentioned are a good fit for the Reds.

Heath
12-30-2005, 09:52 PM
Maybe i am just looking for the Reds to make a move this offseason that would help them, even if its +0.000001%

The only move you'll hear about is DanO's flatulence after knocking out a 4 way at Skyline.

And that's fine with me.

TeamBoone
12-31-2005, 12:04 AM
No move is better than a bad move, IMHO.

I truly don't want that man to do this team any more harm.

Sean_CaseyRules
12-31-2005, 12:26 AM
No move is better than a bad move, IMHO.

I truly don't want that man to do this team any more harm.

after thinking about this quote here, i believe that you are the smartest poster on here TeamBoone! LOL You should've talked to DanO before the Casey trade

KoryMac5
12-31-2005, 12:29 AM
If we were to spend any more money we need some more help with the pitching. Runs are never a problem for this team. Keeping everyone else from scoring is.

Heath
12-31-2005, 11:11 AM
after thinking about this quote here, i believe that you are the smartest poster on here TeamBoone! LOL You should've talked to DanO before the Casey trade

As much as I dislike Dan O'Brien, he got something half right. He traded the player he needed to in Casey.

Its what he got back that his binder failed him.

Nugget
01-01-2006, 12:02 AM
I don't think you can fault what was returned in the Casey trade. We lost about $6.5 million in payroll. We have a major league starter. He may not be a Jake Peavy or Johann Santana but then Casey aint no Carlos Delgado.

Sean_CaseyRules
01-01-2006, 03:31 AM
I don't think you can fault what was returned in the Casey trade. We lost about $6.5 million in payroll. We have a major league starter. He may not be a Jake Peavy or Johann Santana but then Casey aint no Carlos Delgado.

Yeah, but he was a big reason why there were a lot of fans at the games, he was probally a majority of the fans favorite player though.....

pahster
01-01-2006, 12:02 PM
Yeah, but he was a big reason why there were a lot of fans at the games, he was probally a majority of the fans favorite player though.....

Popularity does not equal greatness.

Hondo
01-01-2006, 02:50 PM
If the Reds wanted to put 20 million to good use, they should have spurlged on AJ and BJ

Take care guys and Happy New Year!!!

KronoRed
01-01-2006, 03:54 PM
Fans will come to see a winner.

wheels
01-02-2006, 01:32 AM

You're right. Sean Casey's no Carlos Delgado.

Dave Williams isn't Johan Santana or Jake Peavy. Once again you're correct.

Dave Williams is a left handed Ramon Ortiz.

In case you're wondering, that ain't good.

Nugget
01-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Williams is younger and cheaper than Ortiz. And I think Vern Ruhle maybe better at getting more out of pitchers. If you look at Ortiz and Milton they did improve in the latter half.

Heath
01-05-2006, 05:22 AM
If you look at Ortiz and Milton they did improve in the latter half.

That's like saying you shot your plow horse three times in the head, but you pulled one of them out.

vic715
01-05-2006, 02:31 PM
I think Williams can improve and if you look his stats they are almost identical to Clauseens in every department.
As far as signing a free agent like Sosa or Martinez, if you can get Martinez for a mill or so that would be the guy to get. You are going to need some kind of depth if or probably when one of the outfielders goes down.Besides he would be a lot better lefthanded bat off of the bench than Cruz.

Hubba
01-05-2006, 06:01 PM
As much as I dislike Dan O'Brien, he got something half right. He traded the player he needed to in Casey.

Its what he got back that his binder failed him.I didn't see where any one offered anything better for Casey. Who do you think they could have gotten for him.