PDA

View Full Version : Changes Could Be In Store For 2006 Reds (1/1/06)

TeamBoone
01-03-2006, 11:49 AM
01/01/2006 10:00 AM ET
Changes could be in store in Cincy
New ownership group, position shifts expected for '06 Reds
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

No doubt, the 2006 season could be a pivotal one for the direction of the Reds.

A new ownership group, led by Cincinnati businessman Robert Castellini, is likely to be in place at some point during the upcoming season. That could mean sweeping changes for a ballclub that has endured five consecutive losing seasons.

But we don't know who will be affected, and we don't know when.

Chief operating officer John Allen, general manager Dan O'Brien and manager Jerry Narron do not have contracts beyond 2006 will need to show they can succeed and work under the new ownership this season in order to secure extensions.

O'Brien has been active this winter attempting to overhaul a rotation that was the worst in the National League in 2005. With the league's best run producers and bats to spare, he began seeking more balance at the Winter Meetings.

Out went first baseman Sean Casey in a trade. In came lefty pitcher Dave Williams from the Pirates in exchange. The same week, infielder Tony Womack was acquired from the Yankees for two Minor Leaguers.

Expect O'Brien to explore the thin free agent market in the coming weeks to land another front-line starter. If not, more trades could be coming.

Otherwise, optimism would be difficult to come by for the pitching staff. Last year's big free agent addition, lefty Eric Milton, suffered through the worst season of his career (8-15, 6.47 ERA) and allowed 40 home runs. Paul Wilson will be coming off shoulder surgery that ended his 2005 season in June. Aaron Harang was a bright spot with a team leading 11 wins and 19 quality starts while pitching 211 2/3 innings.

Season in Preview

A lot can change by Opening Day, but as 2005 becomes 2006, this is who is projected to take the field for the Reds:
2B Ryan Freel
SS Felipe Lopez
CF Ken Griffey Jr.
1B Adam Dunn
RF Austin Kearns
LF Wily Mo Pena
3B Edwin Encarnacion
C Jason LaRue
SP Aaron Harang
SP Eric Milton
SP Paul Wilson
SP Brandon Claussen
SP Dave Williams
CL Todd Coffey

More previews: Select a team MLB Angels Astros Athletics Blue Jays Braves Brewers Cardinals Cubs Devil Rays Diamondbacks Dodgers Giants Indians Mariners Marlins Mets Nationals Orioles Padres Phillies Pirates Rangers Red Sox Reds Rockies Royals Tigers Twins White Sox Yankees

In the bullpen, veterans David Weathers and Kent Mercker will be back and are expected to be dependable. The club is still seeking a closer and to shore up other parts of the relief staff.

With the exception of Casey, most of Cincinnati's high-octane offense will be returning. Adam Dunn is shifting from left field to first base. That will give Wily Mo Pena (left field) and Austin Kearns (right field) their first opportunity to play every day in the Majors. Ken Griffey Jr. will seek to build on his comeback 2005 season.

Unlike last spring, Felipe Lopez will be an incumbent shortstop and trying to duplicate his breakout -- and All-Star -- 2005 season.

But no matter how good the offense is again, the Reds will only go as far as their pitching staff takes them.

Offseason report card: On a scale of one to 10 -- with 10 being the best -- let's give the Reds a four, because it's still early. The club is still trying to make moves to improve.

Arrivals: LHP Williams, 2B/OF Womack (trades), LHP Chris Hammond (free agent)

Departures: 1B Casey

The road ahead: It's all about pitching. Before reporting to Spring Training in Sarasota, the Reds need to continue their efforts to upgrade the staff and score a top-end starter and experienced closer.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051217&content_id=1283617&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

StillFunkyB
01-03-2006, 12:03 PM
This article just made me more depressed.

The end just basically showed that the Reds have done absolutely nothing this offseason.

Ron Madden
01-03-2006, 12:09 PM
This article just made me more depressed.

The end just basically showed that the Reds have done absolutely nothing this offseason.

I agree,

How in the world can Mark Sheldon rate the moves made so far a 4 on a scale of 1-10?

kbrake
01-03-2006, 12:15 PM
It is still early Jan. I think even with O'Brien running things, we will start to see some moves before spring training. Not saying that they will be spectacular, even better then the Womack trade, but I do think the roster will look different by opening day. Who knows maybe even a long term deal for Dunn.

westofyou
01-03-2006, 12:17 PM
How in the world can Mark Sheldon rate the moves made so far a 4 on a scale of 1-10?Easy to dance to and the words are memorable?

Red Leader
01-03-2006, 12:22 PM
I think a '1' would have been "completely destroyed the franchise", and a '2' is "moves will cause the Reds to lose for the next 10 years"

So, I'm thinking a '4' isn't really a good thing.

Puffy
01-03-2006, 01:10 PM
Expect O'Brien to explore the thin free agent market in the coming weeks to land another front-line starter. If not, more trades could be coming.

Another? When has he landed the first?

Red Leader
01-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Another? When has he landed the first?

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30686&highlight=eric+milton+signed

Puffy
01-03-2006, 01:18 PM
Jim Coombs is getting very frustrated with the Dan O'Brien regime - I wouldn't be surprised if he demanded a trade pretty soon.

And there is no way the Reds get equal talent back in return.

guttle11
01-03-2006, 01:23 PM
Jim Coombs is getting very frustrated with the Dan O'Brien regime - I wouldn't be surprised if he demanded a trade pretty soon.

And there is no way the Reds get equal talent back in return.

This Coombs fellow has the hype of Hulk Hogan, the brain of Terrel Owens and the talent of Rich Aurilia. Let him go...

;)

Aronchis
01-03-2006, 01:32 PM
This is nothing more than a bore bore article. Of course there will be changes coming..........duh!!!!

You people over-do the O'brien part. He is the middle man. It is the upper management and who they bring in in those roles that counts. That is the first fly to drop.

westofyou
01-03-2006, 01:40 PM
You people over-do the O'brien part.And you ignore it too much, your transition scenario has taken 2 years and wasted cash and resources, mostly because O"Brien approaches the job like a man looking for turnips in a mine field. You may want to focus on the upper managment only, but meanwhile O'Brien is serving up Haggis and calling it Prime Rib.

Aronchis
01-03-2006, 02:39 PM
And you ignore it too much, your transition scenario has taken 2 years and wasted cash and resources, mostly because O"Brien approaches the job like a man looking for turnips in a mine field. You may want to focus on the upper managment only, but meanwhile O'Brien is serving up Haggis and calling it Prime Rib.

Nope. Upper management is the area who will hire in the people to bring in the groceries. They are the most important objectives at this time.

westofyou
01-03-2006, 02:42 PM
Nope. Upper management is the area who will hire in the people to bring in the groceries. They are the most important objectives at this time.
What good are groceries if you spend each winter eating turnips and rubbing the stump where your leg used to be?

Hondo
01-03-2006, 02:43 PM
Well, when guys like Mulder and Hudson were on the trading block last year. Dan O'Brein was signing guys like Rich Aurilla and Joe Randa. That is your problem right there....resource distribution is all jacked up....

Aronchis
01-03-2006, 02:44 PM
What good are groceries if you spend each winter eating turnips and rubbing the stump where your leg used to be?

Uh, what are you talking about?

Red Leader
01-03-2006, 02:51 PM

Standing in line for 3 hours and being offered the last 3 lbs of jumbo shrimp on sale for $7.99/lb and realizing you forgot your Kroger Plus card at home? :confused:

westofyou
01-03-2006, 02:51 PM
You keep giving O'Brien a free pass as he sorts through the garbage and holds onto everyone like they are the second coming. The Reds are on the 3rd year of poor managment at the GM level, O'Brien has attacked the Reds problems with the same gusto the 3 Stooges attacked a plumbing job.

Yes, we all know the Reds have managers who hired O'Brien, yes we know the Reds are going through a ownership transfer at this very moment.

We all know that Dan O'Brien hasn't done a thing in the 900 days that he's had the job to get a free pass, yet everyday we're asked to.

That's just not going to happen.

Aronchis
01-03-2006, 04:34 PM
You keep giving O'Brien a free pass as he sorts through the garbage and holds onto everyone like they are the second coming. The Reds are on the 3rd year of poor managment at the GM level, O'Brien has attacked the Reds problems with the same gusto the 3 Stooges attacked a plumbing job.

Yes, we all know the Reds have managers who hired O'Brien, yes we know the Reds are going through a ownership transfer at this very moment.

We all know that Dan O'Brien hasn't done a thing in the 900 days that he's had the job to get a free pass, yet everyday we're asked to.

That's just not going to happen.

No,no,no. You misunderstand me. The upper management is where it STARTS. When DanO does leave, they have to hire the replacements. Somebody has to be in the position(upper management) to do that. That is the key hire. Because they lay the cement.

The truth is, this offseason essentially did what it set out to do. Keep the young talent intact and move on. Why the lay fan may not like the short term consquences, the end result is no big blunders by the lame duck admin. In otherwords, patience, patience. Everything you want to happen WILL happen. O'brien is just another part that will be replaced.

But I tell you this, in "attacking" the problem, we may have to level the house and re-cement the foundation. That will be a ugly job and more losing will be the result of it.

flyer85
01-03-2006, 04:38 PM
O'Brien has attacked the Reds problems with the same gusto the 3 Stooges attacked a plumbing job.I had this mental image of light fixtures exploding if I flush a toilet at GABP this year.

traderumor
01-03-2006, 04:43 PM
O'Brien has been active this winter

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Only if compared to this guy

http://comedyindc.com/logos/couch%20potato.jpg

Heath
01-03-2006, 04:48 PM
But I tell you this, in "attacking" the problem, we may have to level the house and re-cement the foundation. That will be a ugly job and more losing will be the result of it.

IMHO - this was something that should have been fixed after the 2000 season.

This year is already done, IMO.

2007 should be the upswing.

SunDeck
01-03-2006, 05:04 PM
I had this mental image of light fixtures exploding if I flush a toilet at GABP this year.
I was thinking of pitchers all lying on their sides, running in circles.
Whoopwhoopwhoopwhoopwhoopwhoop!

KronoRed
01-03-2006, 05:04 PM
2B will be Womack.

Depression.

BRM
01-03-2006, 05:10 PM
2B will be Womack.

Depression.

2B and leading off...:help:

Sean_CaseyRules
01-03-2006, 06:21 PM
2B will be Womack.

Depression.

What about Freel?

KronoRed
01-03-2006, 06:26 PM
Freel will be on the bench.

Nugget
01-03-2006, 07:01 PM
I don't think Sheldon has seen enough of the REDS to do that article. MLB should have got Castrovince to do it. A couple of mistakes/things that he should have known.

1. Freel won't be the starting 2B as, in no real order, the REDS signed Womack, signed Freel and announced him as the utility player, both Narron and Mann have indicated that Freel cannot be a starter as he puts too much wear and tear on his body.

2. Coffey is not the closer as last year and if the REDS don't sign an established closer as it will this year be a closer by committee.

3. How do you classify Casey as being "high octane" offense.

Heath
01-03-2006, 07:52 PM
Off the cuff here - and I'm not sure of the salaries & perks, etc. But if Marc Lancaster leaves the Post after they "dissolve" - I would hope that Marc could get that job as the main writer of reds.com

I know this keeps the "Bank President" at the Enquirer.

Or Lancaster can come North and take over for Hal McCoy when he retires. Doesn't matter to me - as long as he covers Redleg Baseball.

balk
01-03-2006, 09:48 PM
O'Brien has been active this winter attempting to overhaul a rotation that was the worst in the National League in 2005.

Expect O'Brien to explore the thin free agent market in the coming weeks to land another front-line starter.

These are the two quotes that made me shake my head. O'Brien has been active???? I must have missed that. Adding Dave Williams doesn't exactly qualify as overhauling a rotation.

And.....what remaining free agent is a front-line starter???

REDREAD
01-03-2006, 10:02 PM
I think a '1' would have been "completely destroyed the franchise", and a '2' is "moves will cause the Reds to lose for the next 10 years"

So, I'm thinking a '4' isn't really a good thing.

That's what I think too.. A score of 4 is basically mediocre.

Really, I don't think DanO has made a major goof yet this offseason. I know everyone hates Womack, but we basically gave up nothing to get him (other than 1 million salary), and we really needed a veteran infielder. As bad as Womack is, he's likely better than Bergollia or Machado would've been next year.

He did trade Casey, so everyone screaming that Casey should be dumped at the first possible offer should be very happy. Supposedly he tried to get pitching with the money he has, although it's debatable whether Morris was the best choice, our options are pretty limited.

I'm not saying that DanO is a good GM, but this offseason at least hasn't been a disaster. I'm not saying it's good. But he hasn't done a big screwup yet. Arguably the Casey trade was good from a flexiblity standpoint and solving the 4 OF problem. IMO, the Womack trade at worst is neutral, because we gave up nothing to get him.